Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #241  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning Coaches.

It is so cold here. It is snowing. Yikes. I may still go for a walk. Eating is on plan today. Not much else planned for the day.

Bill- It is so funny how exhausting the news can be. I find it emotionally draining when things like the Boston bombing and Texas explosion happen. I am glued to the television set hoping there will be a positive outcome. It sure is exhausting. Thank you to you and google. I wasn't sure if I could post a link to it.

Onebyone – Yeah for 250. You are doing awesome.

Gardenerjoy– I love when reading a book that takes place in a different city, to imagine actually being there.

Debbie – Your smoothies sounds yummy.What veggies are best for them. I hope your drive to Denver was good.

Maryann - How was Jurassic Park? Congrats on finding a plan that is working for you.

Beverlyjoy – It is so wonderful the joy children bring.

LuLu- How are you doing?

IBelieveInMe2 – Yeah for leaving food on your plate. Great NSV.

Liz –wow 18,000 steps, that is great. Key West sounds lovely, it is snowing here today.

Rosebud170 – Yeah for resisting M & M's.

Spanky - A lady I work with is on the paleo plan and she is doing so well. She keeps telling me it is the natural way to eat.

Hello to everyone and have a great day.
Take Care
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 04-20-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #242  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I made up a new food plan. It's basically a week's worth of meals that I think I could enjoy eating each week at least through the end of May. I feel a bit like a fifties housewife who serves spaghetti on Monday and meatloaf on Tuesday. I'm not sure why that bugs me so much, but I decided it doesn't matter as much as having a plan that works for me. It will take a couple of days to get things fully implemented, but I'm motivated to keep my eating light while I work this out.

Newlifestyle: Hope you have a good snow day. It seems late in the year for that, even in Canada.

spanky: good luck with your new plan. Excellent detective work. I never tried paleo. My one experience with a high protein diet didn't last long because I also wasn't getting enough calories.

BillBlueEyes: The whole idea of shutting down a major American city was astounding. DH pointed out that until modern media it wasn't even really possible.

onebyone: congrats on Day 19 of your challenge -- you're doing great!

Rosebud170: Good for you for "just a number" and your gargantasalad!
Old 04-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #243  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Another Good Day!

Hello Coaches,

I am so happy and encouraged to report that I had another good eating day! So far, I am under calories for the day. I know because I started tracking my food again at My Fitness Pal (MFP). CREDIT for tracking my food and for being within my calorie allotment for the day and for checking in here!!! And CREDIT for not giving up when I felt really discouraged, but instead working to get my motivation back again! I think I finally got it back!!! And that makes me want to do a happy dance!!! So...........for anyone out there struggling, if I can get back on track, so can YOU!!!

to everyone!!! Hope all is well with all of you!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #244  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi coaches.. today is going well. I am glad to be back in my food comfort zone. The scale said I was up two pounds.. I think it probably had a lot to do with sodium.

We went to our neighbor's birthday party tonight. I made thoughtful healthy choices. Credit.

I still keep thinking about the post last week about waiting until Monday to 'start again'. I think it's helpful for me to think about that a lot.

Good night friends.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-20-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #245  
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Hello coaches!
Today I went to the YMCA on a guest pass to try their water aerobics. I loved it and think I will be joining myself and dd. I think I have my BFF convinced tat she should join with her dd too! There are so many exercise options there...and I got a much better workout than usual too.

I also have several healthy and delicious recipes input to MFP ready for next week. Very exciting!

I cannot imagine having the whole city shut down like Boston was....I am sure it was eerie to say the least. So glad that unsettling feeling of a crazy at large is behind you in Boston!

Til tomorrow.....
Old 04-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #246  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Coaches, Hello.

Hi Coaches.

Had a long day on he road with DH today. He was picking up comic books from a guy again and it's always at a Tim Hortons. I reminded myself that I chose, for now, to eat at most 2 carb servings a day. In particular I am trying to isolate which carbs set me up for cravings or stall my weightloss. Today's carbs were a hamburger bun and a small frozen treat. It's amazing how heightened my tastebuds have become to salt and sugar. I simply don't eat that much of that stuff right now so it really hits me when I eat it. The treat, of course, had me craving MORE as soon as t was done. It was a choice that DH pushed for--he really wanted one and I wanted to have one with him. We'll see where that leaves me. We did do a lot of walking and exploring, even though we found ourselves unprepared for a snowstorm! I just had aasweater and a zip up sweatshirt on and DH had a spring jacket. Driving home was hairy bananas at some points.

*credit I weighed in to see -0.2lbs = 250.7 -- just that much more under 251. Tomorrow the scale will, no doubt, reflect today's salty intake.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-20-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #247  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Made it to the supermarket early out of fear that everyone who had sought "Shelter in Place" all day Friday would be there. It was crowded, but not yet frantic. I suspect that it became so at some time.

I ate reasonably with our guests for dinner, CREDIT moi. Kinda easy when guests bring fruit for dessert.

onebyone – Ouch for "hairy bananas" driving - must be about the worst kind, LOL. And Double Ouch for Tim Hortons in your life. You made me go look. There are more than 500 Tim Hortons in the US but none close to me. Yay - That place sounds deadly tempting.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL that you could pass for a fifties housewife - don't think so. [Your DH makes a point I hadn't thought about - that only modern media made it possible to shut down the Boston area.]

Beverlyjoy – Waiting until Monday to 'start again' never worked for me - there's always another Monday.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Snow and cold seem so like last winter. Hope Spring makes it to your part of the world. Kudos for eating on plan anyway.

spanky - Kudos for analyzing your situation to find a path. Yep, 750 calories a day is tough - glad you're going up a bit to find a sustainable level.

IBelieveInMe2 – Yes, Yes, Yes, happy dance indeed for working to get your mojo back. That's one of the hardest challenges. Kudos for facing it.

Rosebud170 – Water aerobics looks so much fun. I've seldom seen so many adults laughing at once.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

day 1
Record the Advantages of Losing Weight

Make Your Advantages Response Card
. . . Check out the front and back of the card Carol, a dieter I counseled, made:
. . .. . .
9. My doctor won't bug me.
10. Sharon will be proud of me.
11. I'll be happier when I step on the scale.
12. I'll be able to wear my old clothes.
13. I'll look better at John's wedding.
. . .. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 58.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #248  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning,

Yesterday was comfortably on plan, once I made sure the calories were sufficient. Still tweaking, but glad to get to a space where I'm less frantic for food.

Weighed in at the same weight I had last week which was ok by me considering the roller coaster I'd been on.

Today after Church will be a quick stop at the grocery to put a few things in place for the coming week. I'm going to list a bunch of 350-400 cal meals [still watching the grain which puts me in a bloated tailspin] that I can use to guide me when I can't think what I should eat [which is often].

IBelieveInMe2 I'm right there with you my friend, hang on to that wave you've caught!

Best wishes to all for a great week!

Spanky
Old 04-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #249  

Hi coaches, friends... yesterday was healthy. YAY. Always grateful for that. I got on the scale and was down one pound (of the two) that I gained while in West Virginia

Checking in. Today DH and I worked in the gardens. Always so much work in the Spring.

We are having some friends over next weekend to help dig up plants from two gardens we are changing back to grass. No worry.. we still have MANY gardens left. I am not hosting the plant swap this year. I did it for 11 years. Some friends have stepped up to take over. Well.... I'll have lots of plants to take and share at the swap.

Lately when I've been using the computer.... my elbow hurts. What's that about. I am going to cut back on computer time for a few days. The gardening didn't help the cause.

I am reading and thanking you all for your support, as always.

Hope you are having a great day

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-21-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #250  

S/C/G: 173/162.4/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Rebellion

Good afternoon, Becksters!

I have been in full rebellion this weekend. Perhaps not FULL... I have exercised and tracked my transgressions in MFP. FULL rebellion probably would have been stagnating inert in front of the television with a beer & bag of chips ("DH, would you bring me another? I might register some steps if I move.") and not tracking. Nevertheless, a very un-Becklike Fri night & Sat in which I ate foods that were not good choices, ate too much of everything, and did so standing up in several instances.

And... I don't feel all that remorseful. I'm back on track but don't have my usual sense of depression and, "OMG, why did I do THAT?" Not sure if that's good or bad.

MaryAnn - Congrats on Day 19 of your foodplan. Happy birthday to your 50 yo DH (youngster).... Hope you had a great time celebrating, and excellent planning on the veggies/no-cupcake.

IBelieveinMe2 - Yeaaaa! So happy you're happy and gettin' your mojo back. I'm so proud of you for hanging in there and continuing to seek it out and getting support.

BeverlyJoy - Your "dumb phone" comment cracked me up. I have what is in theory a "smart phone", but sometimes I am compelled to put it in its place with, "Shut up. You are just a dumb phone, no matter what Apple says you are, and you're not the boss of me." Thanks for posting the Beck advice. Despite ignoring it, I am nevertheless appreciative.

GardenerJoy - Good luck as you seek the plan that works for you. Thought the 50s housewives (next reality show?) thought was funny, but I know what you mean. When the direction isn't clear, everything seems annoying.

Rosebud "Wig"/"Wog", I'm good with any of them. Wigging out while wogging. Loved the "gargantasalad" and waytaplan! I'm also impressed with your water consumption--I do okay with that, but could do a lot better. Thank you for motivating me in so many ways. Also great on resisting the M&Ms from all comers. The Y also has a great plan for when you travel (A.W.A.Y.) to use other Ys at no cost. Enjoy it all!

onebyone - Big congrats on 250!!! Also that Looloo's loo habits are improving.

BillBE - I'm so glad that Boston is back to some sort of normalcy. It's different, but I lived in San Francisco during the 1989 earthquake; and it took a long time before I felt fully safe anywhere. I trust that you'll find every day gets better.

Spanky - Big credit for recognizing what wasn't working for your body and adjusting accordingly. Very Beck. She talks about making those adjustments to the food program you choose. Nice job.

Ann (NewLifeStyle) - Yea for walking & OP-ness! We've had snow off & on over the past few days here too. C'mon MAY! At least the lake is now entirely open water, and a large number of the intrepid even have their piers in.

Happiness, all!

xo
Liz

Last edited by Lizagna; 04-21-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #251  

Billbe and LuLu - I am so very glad the suspect has been captured. Can't imagine how odd it felt. Carry on.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #252  
LuLu

S/C/G: 168/147/138

Height: 5'7"

hello friends!

I've been reading all the posts and staying motivated and continue to be impressed with everybody's ability to mess up and get right back on.
that has been my biggest problem . . . always honing in on a start date and binging beforehand and then always changing the start date.
my gawd, is that ever exhausting . . . and a great way to get fatter and fatter by the day . . . UGH!!
hoping those days are behind me and I can just do like you Becksters do and just get right back on the wagon.
I can see how that would be extremely beneficial, no matter how badly you went off plan.
I can also see how so much of this is about our emotional/mental needs over our physical needs.

it was an insane week here in Boston, but we made it through.
what a fabulous city, I'm proud to be a part of this city.
I trust that justice will be served.
I was concerned about my daughter Jill who lives in Cambridge (one of the cities/towns on lockdown).
I called her and told her to be sure she stays put.
"oh but mom, I was going out today to get my new bike".
"well guess what princess? the place that sells bikes is closed because the whole city is closed!!"
and that was that . . . LOL

I've been doing terrific on my cleanse/fast. Today is day 21 of 30.
I have an amazing amount of energy, like the energizer bunny.
today I was outdoors burning some yard waste, did that for three hours, lugging branches, breaking up sticks.
and I also began to turn the soil on my veggie garden, and pull weeds.
I grocery shopped, colored my hair, two loads of laundry, cooked my son a mexican pie.
I hope I remember this when I'm finished with my cleanse and I'm whining about how hungry I am because I did so much . . . because it's just not true.
actually, I'm ashamed to say that I don't think I remember the last time I ate because I was hungry.
I eat because I like to eat, because the clock says eat, because I find myself at a restaurant table even though I'm not starving because maybe I snacked before I went.
crazy chick, I am!!!!
I continue to have my face buried in Beck's book, learning and memorizing, thinking long and hard about what I'm reading.
and I want so badly to put it all to good use and maintain this large weight loss I've had this month.
I'm down 20 pounds so far, with 9 more days of fasting to go.
I'll venture to guess I'll go down another 5 for a total of 25.
5 pounds will come back within a few days just because my digestive system will become filled up again and begin to digest food again.
if I can go up that 5 and keep the rest off, it would be a gift from God.
but I know I have to work REALLY hard and pay close attention if I want that to happen.
God bless me, I tell ya!!
this is the 20th time I've done a master cleanse and every time I say I'm going to keep the weight off and every time I don't . . . well, eventually.
but I've never heard of or read Beck before and I'm hoping for the best.
I just love that book!!!!

I'm grateful that you all post here.
I just love love love reading all your posts every day, even if I don't comment.
I hope to be in touch with all of you for a long time coming.

have a great night!!
Lulu

Last edited by LuLu01801; 04-21-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #253  
Rosebud170

Good evening Coaches,
I love reading everyone's posts and seeing the Beck Way be played out in all of our varied lives.i feel very thankful to have you all here as my coaches! While the scale jumped down rapidly when I first restarted Beck, it is waking down at a snails pace now. It is so easy to get frustrated by that but I don't think that there is much I would do differently at this point. I am enjoying the fact that I can go out and shoot a few hoops with dd and not be nearly as winded as I would have been a few weeks ago! It also feels easier to bend down and pick something up from the floor. I want to acknowledge it all, no matter how small since the number is going down so slowly right now.

Credit moi for making several healthy dishes that I am excited about eating this week. I was a whirling dervish in the kitchen today! I made a cole slaw type number that has beets and a bit of blue cheese in it, salmon chowder and an "updated Mac and cheese". Dd lapped some up for lunch, spinach and all-success!!

Gardenerjoy-you needed a bit more structure to your eating plan and provided it for yourself!!

Ibelieveinmetoo and spanky- so glad you both are working it all out!! This strengthens my trust that this can work for the long haul if we use the strategies. It is so hard to do that sometimes so more reason for me to do what Lulu is doing: reading and retreading and processing this stuff to prepare for the inevitable day that I will want to stray. I am enjoying the honeymoon for now...

Onebyone- way to celebrate the fractions of lbs and seeing the positive....that much closer to 250!!

Lizagna- I just opened up your living bald blog...can't wait to read it after I post here! I am glad that the weekend indulgences were enjoyed!

BBE- nice forethought on hitting the stores before the masses arrived!

Beverlyjoy- yowchy on the elbow and wonderful that you got so much in your garden ready to go...

Lulu- you sound so opposite how I imagine I would feel if I were doing that cleanse. What to you ingest in a typical cleanse day? Doesn't it feel great to get so much done on the weekend? So glad you and yours are ok!!

Til tomorrow...
Old 04-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #254  
Rosebud170

I do solemnly swear to PROOFREAD before posting from this moment froward...(hahaha on that last one....)...my Ipad likes to be "helpful"...
Old 04-22-2013, 04:55 AM   #255  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - Earth Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Most conversations of the day revolved about the bombers and where people had been. I know a couple who spent the day painting a room that they'd been putting off. Most everybody else just wasted their day of "Shelter in Place."

Out birding for my walk, CREDIT moi. There was a welcome pair of Buffleheads to brighten the day. A Red-tailed Hawk circled overhead where we'd seen a bunny hopping about happily looking for a quick meal - perhaps about to become a quick meal. No warblers yet. It was a bit chilly; if I'd been a warbler I'd have stayed quiet hoping to get warm.

Beverlyjoy – My DW drools every time I tell her about your plant swap. She doesn't have room for anything else - except in her brain that longs for plants with the same energy that I long for tree nuts.

spanky - That's a good feeling, "less frantic for food."

Liz (lizagna) – LMAO at "DH, would you bring me another?" [I remember the 1989 San Francisco earthquake which I experienced from out here. What a jarring experience to live through.]

Rosebud170 – Congrats for disguising spinach in an "updated Mac and cheese" - whatever it takes to gets veggies into kids. Fun NSV that it's easier to bend down.

Lulu (LuLu01801) – Kudos for staying with your plan for 21 straight days - including your "Secure in Place" day.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

day 1
Record the Advantages of Losing Weight

Make Your Advantages Response Card
. . . Check out the front and back of the card Carol, a dieter I counseled, made:
. . .. . .
14. I'll have more energy.
15. My sister won't make comments.
16. I'll feel better in my body.
17. My back won't hurt so much.
18. I'll feel better about myself.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 58.
Closed Thread