Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #61  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Travel went well yesterday, although I forgot my trusty banana. Food choices were reasonable since I didn't have a "plan" for dinner. Water aerobics is on my agenda today and some really healthy meals are planned. I always get really motivated when we go visit our local CSA. It's just such a great concept and yesterday's visit even included a trip to the basil greenhouse to pick several hot peppers for a thai veggie dish.

BBE, glad you are delving deeper into the ending of the movie. I thought the movie was great and haven't read the book.

Jenny, kudos for embarking on the Beck journey and hopping right on here as a diet buddy!

BigChiefDavid, my neighbor has hundreds of beads hanging on the porch of his old Victorian....it looks pretty festive! Great job with all your response cards during all the festivities!

onebyone, glad you are feeling more centered! I notice I have those days when everything just feels like too much and reaching out for support is such a great strategy! Credit!

Ok, better get that smoothie made and head to the pool!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi friends/becksters/coache... I had a healthy day yesterday... I am so grateful.

I planned my food and diligently kept track of my sodium and planned only for non-reflux foods. Credit. It takes time and effort.. but, I know I can do it.

I did some journalling, drank alot of water, did my exercises, always left a bite, said 'not fair- oh well' many times, and tried to eat a bit slower.

Today is a paperwork day: banking, some tax things, letters, etc. It's got to get done and I am not waiting until the very last minute. However, I do have some thank you notes that are way over due.

billbe - Credit for your walk to the libary. It's nice that you can walk so many place where you live! Oops on the extra at the gathering. They say a blizzard is coming your way. Be careful now. I hope it doesn't shut everything down and bring life to a 'stop'.

tazzy - many credits! Your tub with a jets sounds wonderful. Great idea to have DH drop you off at the gym... once you are there, you'll get to it. (Sometimes it challenging to muster up the energy to go to the gym.) Carry on.

bigcheifdavid credit for you OP day! Sounds like lots of fun for Mardi Gras. LOVE the name of your wife's group.

onebyone - being recharged and happy are certainly a good feelings. Yes, credit for stopping at four cookies!

lexxis/debbie - glad the trip went well. Once I forgot my banana on a road trip and got one at the gas station. They had apples, too. (they are like mini marts anymore) Healthy planned meals ahead... sounds great. Carry on.

Have a good day.

This came thru my facebook today:

Beck Think Thin Thursday Tip: Successful weight loss and maintenance is a combination of all the small things you do in a day, not a result of any one big thing. That’s why it’s important to give yourself credit for every big AND small thing you do well!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 02-07-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #63  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Thanks, Beverlyjoy, for the Thursday tip! I'll take credit for not letting the cheese of the month club shipment derail my eating yesterday. We had a lovely little cheese tasting and wrote in the tasting log book that came with our first shipment. All while standing, but much more attuned to what I'm eating than normal. It took the place of one of my small "meals" and I know it wasn't too much because I'm at the bottom end of my maintenance range this morning.

If cheese is in your plan for special occasions, I recommend L'Amuse Signature Gouda from Holland -- crystalline texture with a nutty flavor and some sweet butterscotch notes. Yum!
Old 02-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #64  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Talking Big Surprise for Me this Morning!!!

I need to catch up on posts and do personals later, but I wanted to report that my scale broke and, when I stepped on my old scale this morning for my Thursday weigh-in, it said that I had entered ONEderland!!! It said 197, so I am hoping that I am truly at least into the 100's!!! Still have a long way to go, but this is exciting!!! I need to buy a new scale now, as the old one doesn't have ounces on it. I hope it reports near the same weight. Regardless, for right now, I am doing my happy dance!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #65  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up woke up today

Yes, Coaches. Hello.

I woke up today expecting to see a snowstorm out there but apparently I am 12hrs too early. So, due to the unexpected good-ish weather I drove over to my WW meeting and weighed in and came home before DH had showered. *credit for getting things done* The scale settled at 253.2 a drop of 1.6lbs. *credit*

I'm back to implementing some tried and true structures around my food. These being:

-three meals a day nothing in between
-meals planned
-meals tracked
-accept my foodplan (and if it isn't right I can change it up-but only after an honest effort)
-no seconds
-0 to 2 sugar-free items per day
-keep checking in

gardenerjoy Funny you mention cheese! I picked up Fresh Polish Cheese Edamski last night. It was a toss up between that and the Smoked Monterey Jack. No idea what it tastes like yet. I promise to describe it for you--your "butterscotch notes" description has me flummoxed.

Beverlyjoy *credit* for all you do to stay on plan every day. I have to say that I too need to practice eating slower, especially since I have re-committed to not having seconds. I sometimes feel soooooo saaadddd that my meal is over so stretching things out is a great strategy on a lot of levels. Thanks for the reminder. BTW do you have any story telling gigs coming up?

Lexxiss Forgetting your trusty banana reminded me of the visual we had at WW a few weeks ago. Someone brought in a banana holder (jpg attached) and it sent the ladies in the room into giggles. DH thought a banana holder was a perfectly reasonable thing which seems strange to me and had me giggling. I know you are actively decluttering so I won't suggest that you NEED this item, but I wonder if you owned a banana holder would you remember to fill it? Seems tough to me from all angles some how. (geez. even that sattement sounds giggle-worthy!) Enjoy your swim! BTW can you swim in that outdoor hotsprings? Or do you just stand in it? Sit in it?

BillBlueEyes Your search for Life of Pi endings reminded me that I want to read a Longmire novel. I've been watching the series, which I like, but I heard an interview with the author http://www.craigallenjohnson.com/ who says Walt Longmire is a really funny guy which comes through in the book during the passages where he talks to himself and to his dog but that kind of literary device is hard to do in a 45min tv episode. It just reminds me that each medium has its own parameters to honour. TRIVIA: The author started to write the first novel and wrote two chapters and then put it in a drawer... for 12 years. Once finished the publisher suggestd it be a series (not what he thought) and then he had to write and write and write--no more writer's block he says. Ah, what success and support can do for a person eh?

bigchiefdavid You are to be really *credited* for staying the OP course during this week of festivities. I can only imagine the food you have to negotiate. Thankfully, there is much much more going on besides food during mardigras--you can indulge in everything else! Wishing you well and continued success....

Jenny19072 I look forward to your posts!

IBelieveInMe2 Well that Onederland surprise is indeed dance-worthy! Congrats. No matter what the new scale says you are in it to win it! *credit*

Bye for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bananaholder.jpg (6.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by onebyone; 02-07-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #66  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Indulge me popping in again, friends, but I have to tell *onebyone* that we have such an item! Known as a *banana guard*. It's invaluable - protects from all the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and the piece of fruit arrives unbashed and unbruised at its destination. It encourages people to take a trusty banana with them. We keep it in the bottom of the dresser with all the other plastic boxes.

But if you can manage without one, don't get one if it will just clutter up your space.

I read here regularly but can't commit myself to posting and coaching at this point. You're doing so well!
Old 02-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #67  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I'm just checking in quickly before we leave town for the weekend. I stayed OP today, even with a "didn't know until we got there" lunch selection. I just had a second breakfast, since eggs and toast are easy to count!

My goal is to track all weekend while I'm gone and to stay under maintenance level. We'll be eating out all but one meal, so I'll have to be really aware of what I order at restaurants I'm not familiar with.

Have a great Friday and weekend everyone!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 210/192.8/155

Height: 5'2"

IBelieveInMe2

I'm so proud of you! What a great feeling!

JuliaClappingAndCheeringOverHere
Old 02-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #69  
GlenwoodHotSprings

IBelieveInMe2

The scale IS just a number but sometimes that number just feels sooooo good! Kudos!

OK, onebyone and Silverbirch....I have never seen one but I am definitely cracking up! I read posts from newest to oldest so I read Silverbirch's comment before onebyone's....ending with the picture. Although I owned a kitchen store I do not have one, have never seen one, will not buy one (decluttering) but will sure start looking for one!

BTW-I looked two different places today for another trusty (organic) banana but none were to be had....is it the off season for good bananas or am I just at too high an altitude for reliable organic produce? Just wondering....
Old 02-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Strayed off plan again in the search for chocolate, compensated by a little dinner-- an egg and some snacking. Tomorrow I am off work and committed to juicing to get fruit and veggies back in my system. They have really disappeared in the winter.

Sad tonite but told myself it is what it is. More tomorrow.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:07 AM   #71  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Weirdest thing: the zipper on my winter coat gets stuck in the up position about once a week. The problem is that it gets stuck near the very top and I can't remove the coat. I think I've located the problem as several inches of weak fabric that can easily jam into the down moving zipper. Hate to replace the coat for such a simple problem. Proposed solution: I'll put a piece of electrician's tape over the weak fabric. I suppose that a fashionista would suggest tape of the same color as the coat, but I only use red electrician's tape, so that'll have to do. I'll keep you posted.

That story has no relevance, nor interest I suppose, except to introduce that the reason for my walk, CREDIT moi, was to find a cloth tape made for fabrics. Unfortunately, there are no sewing stores within walking distance, so I failed. I did find 'hemming' tape at a CVS - seemed just right until I noticed that it's double sticky. Hopefully you've stopped reading because I have to admit that I used a coupon for a FREE bagel with cream cheese. I did count it as lunch, but 'twas a whopping glob of cream cheese.

onebyone – Yay for "tried and true" - when all else fails, go for what works. [Longmire hasn't crossed my awareness yet - thanks for the tip.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Being able to participate in a cheese of the month club mindfully is worth of Kudos.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Making a business card for you:
HAVE BANANA WILL TRAVEL
. . . . . .Wire Lexxiss
. . . . . . . .Aspen
. . . . . .Hope this helps. (With apologies to Paladin.)

Beverlyjoy – Thanks for "all the small things" quote. I need that when facing cookies 'crumbs.'

silverbirch – I never expected that I'd know someone who actually owned a banana guard. I thought they only existed for the giggles.

maryann - "Really disappeared in the winter" makes one appreciate how folks in the era of Little House on the Prairie must have anticipated the first fruits of the season.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – And a happy weekend to you, also.

IBelieveInMe2"Happy Dance" indeed. Happy Onederland!

Julia (Julia150) – Waving back.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
How Thin People Think

characteristic 4
You Fool Yourself About How Much You Eat

...You might tell yourself that what you're eating doesn't really matter - that is, the calories don't count if you're only eating the crumbs in the bottom of a bag of cookies, the icing that's left on the cake cutter, or a broken piece of pretzel. Maybe you justify eating too much because you're eating out, celebrating, or vacationing. Or you might make the excuse that you should eat something because it's free or someone is urging you to eat.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 37.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

I am better this morning. This seems the pattern after a good night's sleep. I am going grocery shopping today. I am using r Dr. Oz's flat belly
Menu just to try new foods/recipes this week. He also recommends tart cherry juice in the morning and the evening and some kind of Relora Herb for stress. It is a good excuse to check out the health food store. In my re reading of Beck this morning, she tells us we have to continually make time for dieting. I think I have put the food part on the back burner. I will try juicing sweet potatoes today with apple. I have only worked through 1 of the two boxes we have. Planned step class.

Weight is back down to ticker--it only took a week to get over my trip to the beach.

Watched the movie Sessions because I was trying to see a few of the movies that had garnered a nomination. I won't way I was shocked because the movie wasn't good enough to be shocking. It just relied too heavily on the sex part and didn't really develop characterization. The only good new movie I have seen is Lincoln.

IBelieveInMe2:I add my congrats to everyone else. It is a big deal.
BBE: Once again I am reminded of the difference between men and women. I have never used the words "electrician's tape" and "clothing" in the same sentence. Ever.

Last edited by maryann; 02-08-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #73  
Green Tomatoes

I tried eating one of my five small "meals" at 9:30 last night. Bad idea since it triggered hot flashes and insomnia. The idea was to get supper, which is what I label the meal I eat with DH, over earlier for an earlier bedtime. But getting to bed earlier doesn't help if a rumbly tummy and other symptoms keep me awake. A worthy experiment so I'll take credit for that.

Since you are all having fun with bananas, have you seen the banana slicer? The reviews on Amazon are hilarious: Hutzler 571 Banana Slicer

Stay safe, BillBlueEyes, and anyone else in the path of the winter storm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31VTJj4VuVL._SY450_.jpg (11.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 250/233.5/180

Height: Six feet, one inch

Hey Coaches and Becksters:

Weighed in yesterday and lost 3 lbs. Credit moi! The Carnival madness continues, but DW and the kids are having a great time, which is what's most important to me. Tonight, I'm heading downtown solo to get some photos for work, so I'll be working and not overindulging. Tomorrow, it's back to parade town with the kids, but we'll be packing healthy snacks, plenty of water and a few response cards to boot.

Until that time...
Old 02-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #75  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi Coaches! Sketchy Internet and i'm typing from my iPad. Credit moi, last evening I chose not to engage in emotional eating. I am always grateful for that. Morning was cold I had almost decided not to go to the pool. Said no choice and went anyway but not before actually returning to the house reminding myself that my self imposed rule do not leaving in the morning with my smoothie applied even when I was running late. Credit

Hope you Nor-Easters fare well with Nemo.
Closed Thread