Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #211  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up checking in late

Hi Coaches

Have been nose to the grindstone since 7am wrasslin' that artist proposal into submission. LOL yes, and into submission too. It's gone, sent off into the ether. Good thing I checked its progress as I sent if off with the blank questionaire not the one I've been filling in and working on for three days. So I re-sent the whole thing and told them to delete the first one, even though it had a much better opening letter.
Oh well.
They're not judging me by an opening letter.

Foodwise, no off-track snacking inspite of the deadline. *credit* This is a good thing. No a GREAT thing. I've tracked everything today. And I am planning my dinner as well. That's my next "test".

I sure have a lot of food in my fridge. When I eat proper portions, that's really not a huge amount of food. DH isn't eating all that much either. I noticed his tummy is really really smaller. Again.
I want that.

So maybe it's time to clean the fridge out and to freeze some stuff. Certainly time to stop buying food for a while. We really have enough.

That's my update. to everyone. TGIF.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #212  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Good evening - late check-in for me. Looks like a lot of folks here are struggling with an issue or two at this point. Here's to a better ending to the month for all.

My eye was getting progressively worse today, and I tend to not worry much, but when vision is at stake, I decided to call and dr. wanted me to come back in today, so I went in and she referred me to an opthomologist (sp?) and that dr. said no wonder it's hurting, it's a line of ulcers on the cornea. So armed with more Rx, I'll battle this out now. Back there on Tuesday for a recheck after the meds do their thing. Two good karma deals with the first doc saying come right in, and the opth remaining open until we could get there.

I wish I could say the court date this morning regarding cessation of child support for a 20 yo step daughter went well - it's been delayed monthly since August. I struggle with this immensely as she was living with her boyfriend out of state for months. But the child support had to continue. Now another delay until March. I said to DH at least the court appearance is for this and not a murder case, right? Trying to find the positive in that which stymies us.

Bright spot was being down a pound this morning. S-l-o-w-l-y going down.

Dinner was bringing home our choice of small pizzas from a new to us spot - and actually able to work it into my plan today since snacking was nil. Woke up to an icy, slippery day today, and that often sends me into snack zone.

I've slacked on personals here this week; but I'm reading all postings - hope to write better positive note Saturday.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #213  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Good food and exercise day for me today. Food was totally OP. Work was closed because of the ice storm, so I did a Denise Austin DVD at home.

Spent an hour and a half on planning the food for our big March weekend--today we concentrated on planning the snacks. I'm getting my head around the fact that many of these snacks are not for me. If I want to be thinner and get my sugar and cholesterol under control, then I can't eat all those sweet and baked goods over a party weekend. I am intentionally leaving out some of my favorites, though! (There won't be any flavored tootsie rolls)

Had to plan tomorrow's dinner tonight--there aren't enough leftovers left for having leftovers for dinner tomorrow! It also looks like I'll need an extra grocery run--we're about out of fresh fruit.

Take care, all!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #214  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, adding a few more lunges on the way to getting back to the number I'd been doing before I broke my leg. Watched a buff guy using the same weights that I was using. Felt pretty good about that. Then remembered not to compare. So I felt smug that I was too cool to feel pretty good about that. It can be fudged. Walking was on dry sidewalks, a pleasure.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including wrestling with the desire for some extra snacks. Sticking to plan causes it to be easier to stick to my plan, to wit: DW said she saw some dynamite baked goods on sale at Whole Foods. She reached for them, then realized that I wouldn't eat them and she'd have to consume the whole bunch. So she didn't buy. CREDIT moi once removed, LOL

onebyone – LOL at wrestling your proposal into submission for submission. It is interesting that the volume of food we need to consume is so much less than we're driven to purchase.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats for the snow shoveling exercise. We could use your DW's enthusiasm later today if the predicted 8 inches appear.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Knowing "that food won't fix this" is a terrific achievement - Kudos.

Tazzy - Congrats on that attractive scale reading. Hope you're feeling better.

nationalparker – Ouch with the eye issues; Yay for finding out and responding so promptly. A new pizza place sounds fun.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Great plan: eat your packed lunch and ignore the kitchen even though you're at home. Kudos for being mindful of the foods that are right for you at your event.

IBelieveInMe2 – Just what I need to hear, "back to basics" and it paid off. Perhaps Lenten Fridays are a time to learn to love lentils - one of my favorite foods ever.

Kitty (Bootedkitty) – Beck needs to add that to her book: Even when the wolfmen are out, I don't have to eat about it.

Jo (veganasaurusrex) – Congrats for helping with the Hurricane Sandy disaster. Kudos for gathering yourself together and starting anew.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
How Thin People Think

characteristic 7
You Focus on Issues of Unfairness
. . .You, however, might frequently reflect on how unfair it is that others can eat what they want but you can't. Truth is, not only do you underestimate how much others restrict themselves, but also you overly focus on the injustice you feel because you have to limit yourself. In the past, this kind of thinking may have led you to stray from your diet, or you may have given up your diet entirely.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 39.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #215  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

A very quick check in as work calls early today. I've weighed this morning and have my food day planned. credit. I picked up the BellyFatbook at the library (thx MaryAnn) just for some new reading and info. The book confirmed what I had suspected; that extreme changes in altitude and the pressure associated w/ do increase water weight temporarily. I've noticed for a long time that my post travel weight is often up by 5 pounds. So especially after traveling up to 12,000 ft twice in a day I'll certainly be using the scale for "information" only. lol
Old 02-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #216  
persist

Default Saturday Morning

Morning Coaches

Made it through another day on track yesterday *credit* I did have two wobbles though. 1) in the afternoon when I was really hungry (an aside to myself here: guess why I was really hungry? CAUSE I"VE BEEN ON PLAN HELLO? I AM SUPPOSED TO BE HUNGRY SOMETIMES!) Ok so I was really hungry and there were these tree nuts (BBE you know where I am going with this) and I had a few more than what I'd counted out. I was a) snacking while standing and b) eating off plan so I turned my back, reminded myself no choice and left the room and went back to work. 2) right before bed, the dinner food had not been put away (went to bed early) and I mindlessly, then deliberately, nibbled on it, taking a tiny slice here and then there and then another and then I stopped knowing I would eat a full meal's worth in another minute or two, standing up, and have to count the points, which I did. I asked DH to deal with it and he did and I walked away.

This morning I am finally off to the guild to get the pottery on the porch and deliver milk to the kitchen for the tea room this weekend.

Work today will be updating my art blog because I have a line on a gallery owner who is interested in my work. It'd be good if I looked professional!

LexxissBellyfat book. I am reading Wheatbelly. Wonder how they differ? Describing weight gain due to altitude made me think of the notion that "the air is thinner up there". Not in all ways, eh? Hope you have a good day at work.

BillBlueEyes Wow. I consider that a true victory to have your DW hold a bottomline mental image of you as someone who doesn't eat that stuff. You have consistently shunned it enough that she has made that switch when she thinks of you. That is persistence and I am sure it's not that you don't want that stuff either at times. *Kudos to you!

bethFromDayton*credit for planning ahead re: snacks and also for deciding to leave out some favorites which will be extra tempting when you see others eating everything "without a care" (this is what I imagine anyway). Sorry to hear you had an ice storm. Tired of hearing about winter!!

nationalparker Lots of challenges for you right now. *BiG credits that you haven't chosen food as a means to fix the court date re-sets and the eye issues. Congrats on the scale going down 1lb!

Have a great Saturday.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #217  
Green Tomatoes

Saturday is my big planning day. Oddly, I don't have an actual plan for today. Correcting that.... Done! (credit).

Exercise: +60 1090/1300 minutes for February
Old 02-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #218  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - Italian Election Begins

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Zipper update: Found the right nylon repair tape in a camping goods catalog for only $3 - just right, and it comes in colors. I now need to find $47 more in outdoor items to qualify for free shipping. Made it to a local outdoors store, EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports), that didn't sell the tape but suggested tent seam sealer in a tube to fix the problem. "It can also be used to repair your hiking boots if the heel separates while on a mountain," they helpfully noted. hmmmm . . . goo from a tube to keep nylon from slipping into the zipper? I passed. Will keep looking.

Exercise was removing some old horse hair plaster helping my DS get his house together. CREDIT moi for a tiny bit of energy but a huge help with the job they're doing because it seems so overwhelming to them. Had reason to walk the long aisles of Home Depot - that always makes my juices flow. Eating was 100%, CREDIT moi. Had some urges for snacks; ignored them.

onebyone – Yay for "I AM SUPPOSED TO BE HUNGRY SOMETIMES!" I tend to forget that. Tree nuts are a double hit because they're 'sposed to be eaten standing. Kudos for turning it all over to your DH.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at, "Correcting that.... Done!" Kudos for continuing, as always, to increment your exercise counter.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – I can understand that you Sherpas do have more fluctuations because of exercise at high altitudes. Do you wear shoes?

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
How Thin People Think

characteristic 7
You Focus on Issues of Unfairness
. . .Most thin people, especially women,
stay thin by being incredibly careful about what
. .they eat.
They might tell you that they don't
. . . . .work at it, but mostly they do.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 40.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #219  
persist

Default old man winter has a strong grip-must work out; probably shovels snow

Coaches

Woke up to newly fallen snow. Again with the newly fallen snow. Would like to wake up to sun streaming through my window, birds chirping, and a nice breeze.

Will be awhile yet.

I've started to experiment with tea again. I am trying to find one that satisfies the urge to nibble/snack/eat something. Tried Key Lime and Ginger Tea yesterday. It smelled medicine-y but tasted ok. Stronger than your usual herbal fare. I have an unopened box of Iron Buddha tea that I'll try today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_buddha

I tracked my food yesterday. *credit* and ate sitting down except for picking at that darn ham again right before bed. I opened the fridge saw it there pulled it out and took a small slice or two. Then I had to track it. That was the worst of my behaviour yesterday.

BillBlueEyes*pondering* horse hair plaster. I actually picture horse hair as insulation=a lot of horse hair/ho many horse would that be? I wonder. IS it really horse hair that was mixed into the plaster? How do you get hair from a horse anyway? Guess when you brush a horse there must be hair in the brush... could just google it, but more interesting to roll it over inthe brain first. Kids today may miss that whole process now with readily available "answers" to everything (can't trust all that internet stuff says the middle-aged person).

gardenerjoy Yay for continued planning and being on plan.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #220  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Interesting the variety of topics we touch on here. I'm sure my house has horse hair plaster somewhere but I have absolutely no desire to find out. I think my area had more mules and burros...hmmm...

I weighed this morning and have had my thoroughly enjoyable green smoothie. I pulled a nice AlaskaKingSalmon steak out of the freezer and actually am imagining it right now grilled outside. Funny, because it's snowing quite heavily right now. It is possible....Anyway, I guess that means I have a plan and it's sitting on the counter is just as good as written down.

BBE, kudos for another OP day...the tree nut discussion reminded me of all the madadamias on the trees in Hawaii. A friend made a serious "cracker" because the shells were super hard and very round. You had to eat them sitting down because there was no way to open them standing up. BTW-I do wear shoes at high altitude but was just chuckling to myself on the trip a week ago...my boots were in the back seat and I traveled w/socks and my plastic sandals from HK...apparantly very confident about my car AND driving skills.

onebyone, kudos for putting the ham away and tracking it. I'm a sucker for ham...it was a TGiving ham which was the start of my 20 pound weight gain Nov.2008....bought another for xmas....another for Easter and joined 3FC in May....I had come too far to head back.

gardenerjoy, credit for just making that plan! Your post reminded me how difficult the planning used to be and now how much easier it is!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #221  
Green Tomatoes

During a qi gong routine yesterday, I surprised myself when I touched my nose to my knee in a seated forward bend. Six years of yoga & qi gong and I can no longer claim to have the world's tightest hamstrings.

Exercise: +60 1150/1300 minutes for February

onebyone: I've had good luck with chocolate yerba mate (not really tea but has some caffeine) and Celestial Seasons Bengal Spice Tea (herbal with no caffeine -- that's what I drink in the afternoon and evening if I want something with flavor but no calories). For fully caffeinated teas in the morning, I get a kick out of experimenting with teas mixed by a local tea shop.

BillBlueEyes: LOL at the perfect $3 solution that isn't a solution until you spend $50. This time of year, you might find a whole new coat on sale at that price. Yay for 100% on plan by ignoring snacks.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #222  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches. Super busy work week accompanied by overwhelm ( I should it expect it by now but don't). OP most of the weekend except dinner out before seeing Crystal Gayle concert. I gave DH the tixs for Valentine's Day. Lots of writing for the thesis today. I had the shocking thought, "I really don't want to do this anymore." But perhaps stopping after $40,000 and two years of work is an extreme decision that i might contemplate for awhile. I must walk step by step through the project-just like I do when facing my food addiction.

I really have noticed a difference in my sweet cravings since I have been drinking the Tart Cherry Juice and eating the yoghurt suggested by the FlatBellyPlan. (Onebyone and gardenerjoy It also has me make a ginger tea with lemon and mint.)

Lexxiss: I knew going up to Tahoe messed with my weight. Thxs.

Weight at ticker today and off to yoga this minute.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #223  

S/C/G: 260.6/250.4/145.0

Height: 5' 5"

Hello Coaches! It's DAY 6, so I am checking in to tell you I'm here and looking forward to becoming an active member of this thread. I DEFINITELY need support in order to make this journey. So many times I've tried it on my own and well, I'm still overweight (alot) so I guess we know how solo dieting goes. I actually discovered BDS from this very forum. Was cruising the internet looking at weight loss support forums and spotted the name of a program I was unfamiliar with. Your posts were inspiring so I went to Amazon and read reviews. I realized I had used a CBT book to quit smoking many years ago. That was the hardest thing I've ever done, so I figure CBT could work for weight loss too.
I'm using a calorie counting diet (1600 per day) and eating low-carb foods generally. My body and brain feel so much better when I cut out the flour and sugar, and even the potatoes and rice. Sigh.
So far, I've followed the BDS to the letter (credit), but that is normal for me for the first ten days or so of a new diet. I am looking for a break through by being here AFTER day 10, being accountable every day and helping you all to do the same once I've gotten my feet wet.
On a personal note, I am 60 years old. I live in the countryside outside of Vancouver, Washington. My husband and I own a computer repair shop. In my spare time I also write erotic romance books. I have a special needs son still at home. Have been over 200 pounds since his birth 20 years ago. My overweight was the cause of uterine cancer I was treated for last year. It's way past time for me to get real. The ARC process was helpful with that.
Okay, that's my intro. Kind of a long one. Glad to be here. Happy Sunday!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #224  

S/C/G: 250/233.5/180

Height: Six feet, one inch

Hey Coaches and Becksters:

Here I am with my tail between my legs. I fell off but I want to get back on the horse. On the plus side, we have a new dog that needs to be walked on a daily basis; Mardi Gras is over (although that was almost two weeks ago), I followed Beck for more than two months so I have new tools for "Getting Back on Track" and there are many more advantages and motivations too numerous to list. Suffice to say, I have a great life; it gets better everyday and losing weight and keeping it off will make it even better.

See you on the boards. And thanks for your support!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #225  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Better this time!

Well, we were at the lake again over the weekend and went back to the Italian restaurant. This time, I went in with a plan. CREDIT! I am mad at myself for eating one meatball (medium sized) from an unplanned family appetizer, but ~ other than that ~ I ate MUCH better than last time. Enjoyed a large Caprese (mozarella, tomato, and basil) salad and only 2 pieces of pizza. Overall, much progress over last time!

I really need to catch up with everyone, but you guys are posting too fast for me......LOL! I promise to do personals soon! I think of you guys often and wish all of you well.
Closed Thread