3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #166
Italian Sunny Girl!

S/C/G: 63/52.5/52

Height: 1,63 mt

Wink We are the champions, my friends!

Hi coaches and buddies, quick check to say I resisted to my mum's temptations and managed to eat "normally" yesterday at lunch! Then in the evening I practiced some excercises at home, plus 15 minutes with the step machine! Credits for that! And again, as I already told you I'm re-reading the pink book and I'm at the chapter (I don't remember the number) about resisting hunger, so today I'm fasting, I only had breakfast and till this evening I'm not gonna eat anything. For dinner I'll only have a vegetable soup. This excercise, when I did it the first time, really helped me to understand I can resist hunger and cravings if I want. I do it from time to time and it really makes me feel better and stronger! Credits!
Credit for going walking during lunch break today, for a longer walk (since I had nothing to eat......)

Last edited by Bootedkitty; 02-18-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #167
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday OP with much welcomed resistance to extra snacks. credit. I've weighed this morning and am off (early) to a very busy day. The restaurant should be very busy with holiday skiers. credit for packing my Sumo.

BBE, time for more Sumos? We're 4-6 weeks and counting down..

BootedKitty, great job with mom's event and working through your pink book again.

My last 54 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #168

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi... stopping by quickly to post this thought from The Beck Solution - via facebook.

Monday Motivation: We asked one dieter what helps keep her motivated to stay on track and she said, “I remind myself that when I’m off track, I feel TERRIBLE. When I’m on track, I feel great. Staying on track feels hard some of the time, but being off track feels hard ALL of the time, physically and psychologically.”

What a GREAT reminder.

I'll be back.

Move ticker, move!
Next Mini Goal - 214

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." - Margaret Thatcher

I can't lose 100 pounds....but, just maybe I can lose five pounds twenty times.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #169
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Great message for my Monday morning, BeverlyJoy. I DO feel so much better when I'm on plan/on track. I'm ready for another weekend, though. Felt like this one was a bust.

Challenging work week for me, as well as DH and I will not overlap at all with out schedules so won't see him until Friday night. I have had issue with grazing and wanting to snack more when he's not there. Because I can? But I can't.

Will walk on treadmill tonight - will not be home before dark, so that's my option. Have done well this past week - we went after dark again last night, felt very cold to me still. Beautiful clear sky with stars to gaze at ... DH found big dipper, orion belt, etc. I just see plane lights. When we were in Montana hiking/camping this past summer, the stars were just magnificent, so that brought back good memories.

New Valentine's Day hiking shoes are packed up to be returned. Tried them out in the house for a while, and just a "no go". I am NOT one to mail order shoes, but DH likes to try. Feel a bit guilty about it, but for the years I'll keep those, I want them to be great.

So close ... now so far!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #170

S/C/G: 173/ 163/ under 154

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Good to catch up on everyone's weekend.

Beverleyjoy: Great thought for this morning.
IBelieveinMe2: Same thing happen to me last light. I am at my cabin and after a long ski day I feel like I can eat whatever i want. Discouraging, I know.
nationalparker: Family is tough. Step family, I can imagine, is even tougher. There is no right answer. Like Lexxiss said, I am successful when I can take the right action and release everyone else from my expectations.

As for me, I am hopping back on the slopes this morning for a half of a day. Tired but DS loves to be with his cousins and so it is worth it.

Last edited by maryann; 02-18-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #171
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I followed my plan to the letter yesterday (CREDIT!). Then, I somehow forgot to weight myself this morning when I expected the nice reward of a drop in weight. Oh well.

Today, I have a couple of hours in the house to myself. I have my in-house picnic planned and a full strategy that includes reading my Advantages and putting up a physical reminder that the kitchen is closed. This is the first time I've regretted our open floor plan that makes it impossible to close a door to the kitchen -- there isn't one. But I can put a bright red ottoman in the path which will be a nice STOP sign.

Exercise: +50 765/1300 minutes for February
Old 02-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #172

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks...coaches...becksters - I stayed within my food plan yesterday. Everything got changed around as far as my actual eating evolved during the day. However, it was all within my plan. Grateful.

Taking nsaids lately.... boy they are sure hard on the tummy. I"ll be glad when I don't need them. My 'pieces & parts' are needing nsaids these days. I am grateful for my heating pad and frozen peas, too.

Some credits include: writing down all my foods, lots of water, exersices, no seconds, always left a bite of food, meditation, good sodium number, read advantages, and took three deep breaths before eating a meal or snack. I did try to eat slower - dinner was over 20 minutes.

Tomorrow I see the dietician again. I always leave with some good ideas and better insight into things.

Catch you later.

Move ticker, move!
Next Mini Goal - 214

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." - Margaret Thatcher

I can't lose 100 pounds....but, just maybe I can lose five pounds twenty times.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 02-18-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #173
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Food partly on plan today. I say partly because my frozen breakfast was horrid and I didn't eat most of it and I added in an extra snack but stayed in calorie range. Exercise was good--took my walks at work even though my walking partner had the day off for the government holiday.

I printed off three "It's easier to stay on track than get back on track" cards--one for my desk at home, one for my desk at work, and one for my purse. I am trying to internalize this completely before our gathering in March, since I know I'm going to find it a terrible temptation and it is not easier to just take the weekend off--that is a sabotaging thought that does not lead me to my goals.

My intent is to come up with a written plan for that whole gathering weekend. I know it sounds like a lot of effort for just a weekend, but I know it is going to be a real challenge for me to stay on track.

Credits--I read my ARC this morning and read more of the second book. I grocery shopped after work, as scheduled. Dinner was totally on plan. I made tomorrow's lunch while getting dinner ready so it's ready to go.

I need to read my response cards every day...

I'm off to enter tomorrow's food into MFP and call it a night!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:59 AM   #174

Hi all,
So this morning I met with my "small group personal trainer" for the first time in several weeks...credit. I had the day off from school and was really wanting to eat, even after full, but journaled instead...credit!

BethFromDayton: KUDOS for planning what you're going to eat for the entire weekend!
I didn't actually go shopping yet with my sister. She's here for 3 weeks primarily to help with the parentals, who are 90 and 91. Hopefully we can work it in.
Also, LOVE that you have "easier to stay on track than to get back on track" written 7 times on a card. I MUST DO THAT and carry a copy WITH me.

Beverlyjoy, THANK YOU for the Beck motivation reminder. I will place certain of those in visible places around my house. Ohhhh, mashed potatoes. I feel your pain!
Kudos for staying on your plan even with the variation.

GardenerJoy, YAY for you! Recognizing the issue and then writing your plan and following through. The visual of your red ottoman in front of your refrigerator made me smile

NationalParker, sorry for the distress in your family. I've never had to deal with such dynamics, but other family members have...
Also, sorry that you and your DH will be two ships passing in the night/day this week. Do you have that list of alternative activities handy?

Lexxiss, YAY for you, resisting the extra snacks! I was thinking how not eating isn't an option for those of us with this particular addiction, unlike other vices: smoking, gambling, drinking, etc. I do not mean to diminish the efforts it takes to abolish those habits, or any for that matter...just the fact that we can't just quit food. We need food. Food is wonderful. I want more food.

MaryAnn- sounds wonderful- "day at the slopes." I decided the other day that skiing is going on my wish list for someday when I am really fit.

BootedKitty-
I AM SO IMPRESSED about the step machine. I've seen people use those at the health club, scaling Mt. Everest. Or, perhaps I'm thinking of the mountain climber. Either way, good for you; also, resisting your mum's temptations. It's so tricky when we need to navigate our eating at someone else's home/meal, etc.

BillBE, you may want to shoot me at dawn for saying this, but I wish for snow! We live in the Pacific Northwest and haven't gotten ANY this year. The flip side is, we won't need to go to school until the 3rd week of June this way.
YAY for staying on plan, especially when it's blowing snow and you're housebound. I always want to bake/eat comfy things at such times. Perhaps it's not a bad thing we aren't privy to snowstorms.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:05 AM   #175
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/183/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Feeling better today!

I am so thankful for this group!!! Thank you to those of you who wrote to me with your encouragement, support, and Beck wisdom. Yes, mistakes and learning are all a part of this process. There I went with my perfectionistic, all-or-nothing thinking again (when thinking I needed to be kicked out of the group for not being "perfect") ..... darn it! Thank you for pointing that out to me. I also appreciate your suggestions for next time I am in that situation. I look forward to having a positive story to share with all of you next time!

I am feeling better after healthier eating and a great workout this evening! We just came home from the lakehouse in the early evening and I had a Canine 101 class (for people) as part of our puppy's preschool/socialization class. Then out to dinner with the family, so ate a bit late, but made much healthier choices tonight! I really need to work on strategies and response cards and planning for the lake, because I don't want to dread being there at all. We really enjoy spending time there, so I want to get a good grip on eating there so I can feel confident going/being there. I think what happened is that I went there without a plan, other than being as "good" as possible. That "plan" failed miserably Saturday night at the Italian restaurant. I also kind of panicked when I found out we were going there (spur of the moment), and ~ rather than focusing on making decent choices ~ just thought, "What the heck?!?" and ate what I really "wanted" to eat; that is, what the saboteur in me wanted to eat. I tried to quickly think of my Beck principles on the way to the restaurant, but my panic took over and I was just overwhelmed with all of the yummy "bad" stuff on the menu. Anyway, that will NOT happen again. I am going to pull their menu up online and PLAN what I will choose next time.

bethFromDayton: You are such an inspiration to me with all of your planning and thinking ahead and putting your weight loss journey FIRST! I really feel empowered when I read your posts. I can just tell that you will be a success story! Keep up the great work! You are already planning ahead and gathering strategies for your weekend in March. You will do just fine. And we will all be here cheering you on!!!

BillBlueEyes: Your excursions in the Boston area sound so wonderful! CREDIT to you for all of your walking to and from places, all of your snow shoveling, and for being so adventurous! Yes, the Beck section on "You feel helpless and hopeless when you gain weight" is right up my alley! Thanks for posting those excerpts from the book, BTW. They are helpful. Your Sumo Mandarins sound delectable!!! What is the latest on the zipper?!?

Beverlyjoy: CREDIT to you for all of the things you are doing so well lately! Good to hear that the dietician is helpful to you. I hear ya on those NSAIDS! My 46-year-old body needs them often, too; mostly for headaches.

kindercoach: CREDIT to you for meeting with your small group personal trainer! I quit my old personal trainer when I had foot surgery this past summer and have thought about shopping for another, so I am curious what you will be doing with your trainer. Please keep us posted. Awesome that you chose to journal rather than overeat! More CREDIT!

gardenerjoy: Sounds like you are really doing well practicing your Beck principles lately! CREDIT! I need to come up with a visual reminder that the kitchen is closed, too! Thanks for the reminder.

nationalparker: I hear ya on wanting another weekend and another chance to do better! My weekend felt like a bust, too. That must be so difficult not seeing DH during the week. Stay strong and hang in there!!! You know what you need to do.

maryann: Where is your cabin? I should probably know from reading posts, but I don't. At least you are burning calories while skiing all day. CREDIT to you for that! Sounds like you and DS are having fun! That's priceless!

Lexxiss: Much CREDIT for exercising your RESISTANCE muscle on the extra snacks!!! You are an inspiration for all of us!

Bootedkitty: Sounds like you had a great Beck day yesterday!!! Way to go! Thanks for checking in!

I sure hope I didn't miss anyone who responded to me in my state of despair! If so, it is not intentional! I do best when I take notes as I read, but I am kind of "winging it" tonight. Need to get some sleep now! Thank you ALL for being here and for all of the support and encouragement!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #176
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies Zipper update: Since I can't use the cotton patches that I planned to order as 'Add On' to a $25 order from Amazon, I was free to order the one book I'd gathered on my list. Good news - I love ordering books. However, I discovered that I'd already ordered it from the local library and don't need it. Zipper saved me $18! How cool is that.

Eating was 100% on plan, CREDIT moi. Including NO snacks. I've been avoiding snacks as a sort of mental penance for my over-indulgences of recent days - even though Beck doesn't recommend that sort of thing. I'm trying to get back to the feeling of "sufficiently satisfied" instead of "full" all the time. Dinner was light; I ate two falafels on one six inch pita bread with lots of hummus, cucumber, lettuce, and tomato. It was merely sufficient, but we were in a hurry to go out and it felt just right. Since we were at a concert for the evening, I missed my evening snack.

Did gym, CREDIT moi. It was unusual because I bumped into two different friends to briefly chat. If that happened more often I'd be more drawn to going.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Love the image of the bright red ottoman as a kitchen stop sign. Interesting side effect of an open house design.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Kudos for avoiding extra snacks - you must be sending me good vibes in that arena.

Beverlyjoy Thanks for Beck's "being off track feels hard ALL of the time." Ouch for 'bits and parts' needing meds.

maryann - Yep, cousins are just the best. Happy skiing.

nationalparker Thanks for the reminder to go look at Orion's belt; it doesn't care that I'm cold, LOL. Congrats for making a clear decision about your hiking boots.

Beth (bethFromDayton) Ouch for having to work when your walking partner had a vacation day. Kudos for not eating about it.

IBelieveInMe2 So neat to realize how easy it is to fall into a hole when we're without any plan. When we first got our pup many years ago, we had to call in a gifted dog trainer to help the family. Her insight: the only mammal in the house acting appropriately was the dog; the rest of us had to act like lead wolves so that doggie would know how to behave. We did. She did. Had a lovely 15 years together. Good luck with yours.

Kitty (Bootedkitty) LOL that fasting instead of eating gives you more time to walk - don't remember Beck mentioning that advantage. Hope your hunger experiment went well. Kudos for eating sanely at your mom's.

kindercoach Great choice to journal instead of snacking - Kudos. [When we don't have snow, I miss it.]

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
How Thin People Think

characteristic 6
You Feel Helpless and Hopeless When You Gain Weight

. . .You, however, may have constant sabotaging and demoralizing thoughts that undermine your confidence. When you overeat, you might believe that you'll never be able to control your eating.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 39.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 10 years
Old 02-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #177
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I'm on a mission this morning....I open at the restaurant at 530 and plan to have the car packed and the house shut down before I leave. En route I need to drop off the pup at moms, drop recycle and library books. I'll drive over the hill after work.

Credit for taking time to read every word of every post here since I checked in yesterday. All of your words are so helpful to me as I try to live each and every day as healthy and happy as possible. Credit to us all.

I weighed this morning and packed two Sumos...one for at work and one for the drive over. credit. Dinner will get planned when I see what's in the refrigerator over there. Fortunately, DH is super happy eating healthy, too, so I need not worry...just need to stay out of his snack cupboard.

My last 54 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #178
Italian Sunny Girl!

S/C/G: 63/52.5/52

Height: 1,63 mt

Quick up-date about my fasting yesterday: everything went as planned! It gave me a new "wind" of motivation, because I know once more again that I can resist hunger and cravings. Tonight I'm gonna read the next chapter about cravings actually! Those are my worse enemies....!!!! I'll beat them, I'm sure! :-)
Have a good day.
Kitty

Last edited by Bootedkitty; 02-19-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #179
Green Tomatoes

Thanks, coaches, for all your help with my home alone time. It went exactly according to plan. Woohoo!

Credit for forestalling a couple of potential problems.

1. I realized I would have a hard time closing the kitchen in the daytime if it was dirty. That's actually probably a reason that I've been struggling with this so much. If I clean the kitchen for the first half hour of time I allotted to relaxed Tivo watching, it awakens the notion that I'm entitled to a treat (or two). So, if this is going to work, the kitchen needs to be cleaned before DH leaves. Credit for cleaning the kitchen TWICE earlier in the day because that's what it took.

2. I realized I would have a hard time keeping the kitchen closed if there was a lot to do to get supper prepped. So, credit for doing much of the preparation at lunch. I opened the kitchen a half hour before DH returned so I could have supper ready when he got home. The parts of me that think treats are a good idea can't make a very good case when there's only 30 minutes before supper.

Exercise: +80 845/1300 minutes for February
Old 02-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #180

S/C/G: 173/ 163/ under 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I was up before the crows (not as early as Lexxiss) to drive down from Lake Tahoe to get DS to school. I know all of you on the blog will laugh at this, but it didn't really occur to me there is snow and ice at 6:00 am in the morning in 20 degree weather. All the trucks were stopped and no one else was on the highway. Hmmmm. I am a California girl almost fifty years now so I might not have a realistic perception but it looked and felt pretty scary to me. Credit for slowing to 40mph as suggested by road signs. Credit for not taking the mountain roads, sticking to the well travelled highway and finding a new back (below the snow line). DS was only ten minutes late and I learned a little something.

Day off today. I will write up a rough draft and do some cooking because I don't want things to go bad. (My mushrooms are looking a little slimy). Op yesterday, very nice. Skiing was beautiful. I put in a little more than two hours and declared that is enough for a second day of the season. DS was fine with that. Credit for continuing to stay fit enough all year to ski in winter. There are less and less people my age on the slopes.

Wave to all

Last edited by maryann; 02-19-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Closed Thread