Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #16  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Super Bowl Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Worked a little at my DS's new house. There's so much to be done after buying a house to get it ready. Forty years owned by the same extended family means lots of small things haven't been repaired in ... well ... forty years, LOL. CREDIT moi for being a useful human being.

Only minor exercise and only OKish enough for eating. So minor CREDIT moi as it could have been worse. DW tried a new "Winter Vegetable Stew" recipe from the newspaper for dinner. Best part was lots of Hubbard Squash, otherwise a bit bland. But it made it a vegetarian day for me and my heart. Yay for trying new stuff even when it doesn't make it into the rotation.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for snow in those parts of the world that service skiers. And Yay for snow in those parts of the world that wish to have fresh water melting down the mountains in the summer. (Are you really going to institute a 14 mph speed limit in Aspen? Wouldn't walking be faster?)

Who Dat BigchiefDavid – Kudos for dancing. Double Kudos for spontaneous dancing with your DW outdoors with live music and fireworks. Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

nationalparker – Bon Voyage! May all of you come back. But no more than that.

IBelieveInMe2 – Yep, Onederland is in your future. And "refocus and PLAN again" is indeed the path there.

Julia (Julia150) – Happy Happy 200.2 - one eleventh of a kilogram from Onederland. Holding my breath here.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
How Thin People Think

characteristic 3
You Like the Feeling of Being Full

. . . Why did they eat well beyond the point of fullness? Probably because they all had such thoughts as:
  • This tastes so good. I don't want to stop.
  • It's a special occasion, so it's okay to splurge.
  • I want to show my hostess that I appreciate her efforts.
  • I can't resist such wonderful food.
. . . They probably also overate because they wanted to feel overly full at the end of the meal.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 36.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #17  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

After anticipating a quiet day at home I was called in to work. That's ok with me. I've weighed this morning and will head down for my green smoothie the best and most reliable part of my food plan. credit. My most recent success has been to enlist the use of a cool Victorian tray. Last night all components of my planned dinner and snack (fresh pineapple) and took everything upstairs. It was a creative way to close the kitchen and this morning before I leave I'll carry all the dishes back down for cleaning. It worked well in more than one way.

BBE, I don't recall that I've ever been able to drive faster than 14mph in Aspen but interesting they are thinking of making it official. lol
Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning Everyone,

Just realized that I don't think I've posted all week. Had to find the Feb thread and still need to go back and catch up on the last of the Jan postings. Weighed today and down another 1.6 so that's 7 total for January. Very happy with that. And even taking into consideration the last two days, Friday was the opening of the new pub in our community (we've all been waiting patiently for this for about 1 year, we live in a new community) and yesterday we celebrated youngest DS birthday (14 today he is - wow, where does the time go). He's not a football fan and his birthday always falls on Superbowl weekend so we did it a day ahead.

Very busy at work and home, not much time for extra computer surfing at either. The only place I get to at home is the WW online program and I must say I really love it and don't miss standing in front of someone to weigh for their approval or disapproval as it might be. Didn't think I'd like the online route but have been pleasantly surprised.

Well, busy day again today, already headed to the car wash with the dogs (for the car - not them), it's warmed up again here 3C this morning, on Tues it was -26C, consequently with the warm up you get the dirty cars. Sometimes I think a carwash business in Calgary could be a good thing. The dogs love the warmer weather and spend most of the day on the weekends outside, makes more puppy tracks to clean but guess it's all part of the deal. Going to pay some bills now and then tackle floors (washing and carpet cleaning - again a few puppy mistakes).

Hope everyone enjoys the day and for those Superbowl fans hope the food and drink choices fit into your plans!

Last edited by Tazzy; 02-03-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 210/192.8/155

Height: 5'2"

Hello buddies/coaches:
I did the happy dance too soon. I was up a pound today, probably because DD made some oven fries and she put lots of seasoning on them. I'm sure I stayed within my calorie limits although I am just doing it mentally. I didn't put anything in my mouth that wasn't planned.

Yesterday was spent de-junking/de-cluttering in the basement. One trip to the dump, one trip to Goodwill and a drop off of books for the library sale. Losing weight and decluttering together are working well for me.

BillBlueEyes Yes, credit for home repairs/being a useful and trying new food. DH fixed 2 light fixtures yesterday that weren't broken. How he had 4 bad lightbulbs, I don't know. Seriously, he changed the lightbulb 2 times in each fixture and none worked so he was certain that there was something wrong with the fixture. He got out his multimeter and found there was nothing wrong with the fixtures. Another lightbulb and Voila!-working lights. One of lifes jokes I guess. You can let your breath out now for me dropping below 200. Ain't gonna happen today! I don't want your face to turn blue like your eyes.
Lexxisscool idea with the tray! Do your live in Aspen? Too cool. If you don't mind me asking-do you have 2 homes and commute to the other one to see DH?
IBelieveInMe2 Come on! Let's both get to the 100's SOON! You can do it and so can I. Won't that be a beautiful day to see the 1 instead of the 2. I'm smiling thinking about that day.
BigChiefDave-that sounds like so much fun. I feel like I live in the most boring part of the world. Enjoy game day! It's got to be crazy there.
NationalParker Have a wonderful trip! I'm so envious of your trip to the sun/surf. I'll be going to Phoenix in 12 days. It better be sunny there....
Beth, Kitty, OnebyOne and anyone else I missed. I hope you are having a good weekend.
Julia
p.s. Tazzy, we cross posted! WhooHoo for 7 January pounds! At first I thought you meant you were washing your dogs at the carwash. LOL I had to calculate Celcius to Farenheit-huge temperature swing. What's up with the winter weather this year? -16 F. Ouch.

Last edited by Julia150; 02-03-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #20  
Italian Sunny Girl!

S/C/G: 63/52.5/52

Height: 1,63 mt

A quick ciao to everybody! Just to say that for having been a weekend with double birthday party it's been not too bad from the eating point of view! I could have done better...but I'm learning from any of these experiences.... Anyway, new week starting with lots of walking and swimming and staying OP definetely! :-)
How was the super bowl? I know it's a special event there! :-)
Have a good week!
Kitty

Last edited by Bootedkitty; 02-03-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #21  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Hi all!

I'm going to give myself credit for what I did right yesterday--ate mindfully, sitting down, rearranged my dinner to compensate for an overly large lunch. I recorded all of my food and did my 2nd day of 30DS.

My overly large lunch happened because someone brought something over. We had a (social) committee meeting at our house yesterday and I put out snacks that I'd planned for--pita and hummus, apples and caramel. One of the people brought a tray of ham and cheese croissant sandwiches. I don't know that I even thought that it wasn't on my plan. I hadn't prepared for anyone to bring anything and for me to need to resist it. And I didn't resist it. And then I had more than I intended of the stuff I had planned for.

I know that Beck says to continue eating to plan after you eat something you shouldn't, but I'd planned a rather large dinner because I hadn't planned a large lunch. I didn't "not eat", though--I just substituted a smaller meal.

I didn't plan for today before bedtime. I got up and had a 'standard breakfast' and then planned for the rest of the day. (including the big dinner I postpponed from yesterday). So, credit for planning today, even if it was partway through.

Beverlyjoy--Let me know when you post that recipe--we like Sloppy Joes here and I know my current version is not low cal. (It's delicious, though)

BillBE--You're an early riser! I'm sure your DS appreciates all the work you're putting in at his new house.

Lexiss--Credit for driving past the junk food to have your planned and healthy meal at home. It's so much harder to do that when tired and stressed. Credit for "closing the kitchen" as a mean of staying on plan.

JuliaAboutToBreakThe200PoundBarrier--Almost to ONEderland--I'm so excited for you. Even with bein up again a bit, you're still almost there. You've been working really hard.

nationalparker--Credit for having something small when you wanted something big--that's success. Two miles on the treadmill sounds impressive to me! Have a great trip--and good luck reaching your balance of wise choices. I joine BillBE in wishing you to come back without extra!

BigchiefDavid--That sounds so much fun!

IBelieveInMe2--It looks like you're heading towards ONEderland yourself. Credit of recognizing the need to refocus and plan. Planning is hard--but we only need to take it one day at a time.

Tazzy--Congrats on being down 7 pounds for January. We do have car wash businesses here--and they do a booming business in the winter on the first clear day.

Bootedkitty--Credit for keeping to a 'not too bad' eating when faced with birthday temptations!

Happy Super Bowl day to those who are participating!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #22  

I had to check back in for a pep talk. For some reason, when I was folding laundry I had a big crisis of faith. I am so scared that I can't lose this extra weight and uncertain if it's possible. My confidence just went down the drain. I don't get it. Has anyone been scared, not just discouraged? I'm not even tempted to eat off plan right now. i don't know where it came from.
Help
JuliaHasLostHerMind
Old 02-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #23  
I can do this

Julia,

Look at the evidence. The evidence is real--you've been losing weight--you've lost 10 pounds. So you know that what you've done has gotten you to the point where you're down 10 pounds, and you know that continuing to do what you're already doing will get you down further.

Keep your eyes on the evidence.

I'm on Yahoo! messenger a lot of the time, so feel free to IM me.

Evidence doesn't lie--you're already doing it!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi... checking in. We've returned home. It am ready to get on the scale tomorrow.

I will post my recipe tomorrow.

We had a wonderful visit with out family. Food was OK. I made thoughtful choices and planned when I could.

Later....
Old 02-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #25  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I've not done well today. Too many tids and bits even with many baby carrots. Very frustrated with myself. Love the "not more" coming back. I need to use this. First day in a long while that I, too, feel like I cannot regain control.

Will check in with a positive note tomorrow. Thanks for good vibes.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #26  

Beth-Thank you. I don't know why I can't give myself credit for the 10 (almost) pounds I've lost. It feels fraudulent at the moment. I don't know what's gotten into me today. I'm usually feeling so confident.

OK-time for a reality check-For the last 3 weeks:
1) I've stuck with my plan about 90%. I usuallly miss a milk serving and sometimes a fruit
2) On weekends when I plan my own food I've stayed at the calorie limit of 1200 cal
3) The gray pants fit, my usual clothes aren't tight at all

I can think of a way to discount all of these things too. But I don't need to go there. The proof is in the decreasing numbers.

<sigh> Maybe I just need to sleep it off
Julia
Old 02-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 250/233.5/180

Height: Six feet, one inch

Hey Coaches and Becksters:

Quick check-in...even with the blackout and Beyonce bouncing, the game's been anti-climatic. For a lifelong football fan, that's saying a lot (of course, I'm writing this as the game is still going, so who knows? Maybe it turned out to be one of the greatest SBs). Snacked too much at a SB party, but I was in my car ready to drive to get a Sunday night dessert when I read my Advantages card and decided to forgo the ice cream. Credit moi!

BBE: CREDIT moi for being a useful human being. We need more like you.

Nationalparker: sending you some positive vibes and I know all about those tids and bits.

Until that time....
Old 02-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #28  
I can do this

Hi all,

Checking in before I call it a night. The week's meals are planned and I built my shopping list. Tomorrow's meals are all planned in detail and entered into MFP. Credit!

I stayed on plan today. I added in a snack that wasn't on my plan, but I hadn't tallied calories at the beginning of the day, and I was short. I did my 3rd day of the 30DS. My abs are sore!

I'm starting to strategize for our weekend trip to Chicago. We're driving Thursday after work and returning Sunday night. I'm bringing my laptop and the DVD so I can do the 30DS while we're gone. The hotel has a fitness room. For meals, I'm still unclear how I'm going to make it work. I emailed my aunt to ask if I can stop and pick up a veggie tray and a fruit tray for the party. My goal is going to be to not gain weight over the weekend. Chicago pizza is calling my name--one piece and a salad. I'm going to work on making as good of choices as I can.

Have a great week everyone!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:35 AM   #29  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Two good walks in the light snow, CREDIT moi. Light snow creates magic without the difficulties of trudging through the stuff or the need to wear ski goggles. Like snow in a theme park, LOL.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Dinner was consumed on the living room couch watching the Super Bowl - only time I eat in front of the TV. Without the Patriots in the game, I chose to root for the San Francisco 49ers. That nearly caused heart failure as hope remained until the clock ran out. DW came in periodically to comment on the commercials and then to watch the last quarter run out.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Neat idea to enlist a "cool Victorian tray." When I choose one of our best glasses, I'm happy with plain water instead of a caloric alternative.

Beverlyjoy"Thoughtful choices" always rate Kudos.

maryann - Waving. Sending condolences for the 49ers coming within one missed call of victory. Congrats on your amazing comeback.

Tazzy - Congrats on those seven pounds gone in January. Happy 14th to your DS - challenging times those. Hope you and your new pub can work out a healthy relationship.

BigchiefDavid – Yep, Super Bowl snacking is a challenge since it's a national tradition. Kudos for stopping that ice cream attack. Thanks for hosting the Super Bowl so our TV is filled with shots of New Orleans. And Congrats for getting the lights back on - it got a bit tiring hearing a zillion sports announcers speculating that the lights may or may not go back on.

nationalparker – Good Vibes! Good Vibes! Good Vibes! Frustration happens. And then it goes away.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Good grief . . . spontaneous ham and cheese croissant sandwiches would be a blow to any plan. If only pita and hummus are available, it's easy for me to eat mindfully. [Yep, I'm a morning person. Usually have the house to myself for a spell.]

Julia (Julia150) – Fantastic hat trick, " One trip to the dump, one trip to Goodwill and a drop off of books for the library sale." My sympathy to your DH for four dead light bulbs - I've wasted many an hour after installing a new part that arrived dead. Beck's chapter on Exaggerated Thinking can help when the all-or-nothing thoughts arrive uninvited. Catch 22 is that you haven't lost your mind if you can have that thought.

Kitty (Bootedkitty) – Double birthday party sounds like a challenge. Kudos for surviving. Super Bowl and Super Bowl eating are done for the year. I wish over eating wasn't part of the tradition.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
How Thin People Think

characteristic 3
You Like the Feeling of Being Full

The Beck Diet Solution
This program teaches you how to change your mindset so that you actually feel good about feeling reasonably full at the end of meals. It takes practice, but you'll get to the point where instead of feeling deprived when you get up from the table, you'll automatically say, I'm so glad I didn't overeat.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 36.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #30  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

OP yesterday except for the 3 small FF's I nibbled on at work. I did, however, resist the old cake from the bosses BD, which I was "welcome to take home". credit. I've weighed this morning and have my day planned.

Julia, thanks for asking....we moved from Alaska in 2003 because my mom is "here"-turned 91 in August.
~ "Here" is 20 m. W. of Denver in the small town where I graduated from high school. I got my job "here" in Oct. 2011.
~"There" is 120 m. further West. (GlenwoodSprings) They claim the largest year round outdoor hotspringspool. Aspen is 45 m. upvalley from GWS and I spent several years of my childhood halfwayinbetween.(Carbondale) We bought a mobile home a mile from the pool in 2005 for a getaway and formed friends there really fast. It's where our hearts hang out. We drive through Aspen alot because it has a summer shortcut over the continental divide.
I do enjoy my job-the $$ are making other things happen and my mom is pretty settled in. We just travel back and forth..it's exactly 2 hours on a nice day. My DH is retired with a disability so sometimes he will stay "there" while I work.
It's a workable arrangement.
Closed Thread