3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #106
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I just put up a new challenge in the Challenge thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chic...challenge.html

Anyone reading Beck now would be a good candidate to participate. Or, anyone who wants to read one or more other books to support the weight loss journey.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #107
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Hello! Checking in late today - but while it's not been a planned eating day (brunch out and that covered breakfast/lunch and while not the healthiest, it wasn't a pit). Stepdaughter is here this weekend, and we'd already planned chinese food from a local non-chain non-frying establishment. Each portion we split in two and it works well. Still sodium-filled, but not a guilt-inducer.

Walked a lot today and have planned the trail later tonight in the dark and under the stars. We saw the meteor shower last night driving back around 2 a.m. - I wasn't aware of one until the fourth shooting star (and four wishes!) and then DH looked it up... ahhh...okay. Which brought us to our travels to Montana this summer and how splendid and stunning the stars were out there on the clear nights, so far from city lights. Wonderful memories.

Am planning to try a few recipes for gifts (chocolate dipping spoons and miniature gingerbread houses) this weekend. Hopeful they'll turn out gift-worthy. At least with that, there is no sampling like cookies.

Need to plan tomorrow's meals, though. And get out early with the dog for a good walk before the rains settle in for the weekend. But it's rain and not snow, so yay!

Will have to check out the reading challenge! I would like to get technologically savvy and learn how to download things on my ipod and listen while i walk at lunch - need to get moving more. Lots of sitting in my job.

So close ... now so far!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #108

S/C/G: 183/170.5/>140

Height: 5'5"

Day 3 post-vacation ---I'll start by giving myself credit for posting. It's been tough to get myself back into the mode. The trip to DC was great. Weather was relatively nice and there were absolutely no problems or disasters. I would like to say I feel guilty about all that I ate, but I don't. We walked and walked and I actually came home at the same weight as I was when I left. Considering everything I ate, that's a miracle. What I do need to feel guilty about is what I have done since I got home. Exhaustion and stress are not conducive to mindful behavior. So here I am, making another start and trying to get back on plan. Tomorrow, it's back to tracking all that I eat. Boy, it's easy to get out of that habit.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #109

and in case you have missed the tips, here is today's......................
Quote:
December 14, 2012 - Friday Weekend Warm-up

Achieving a really big goal (like losing and maintaining weight) is really a matter of achieving many smaller goals along the way. This weekend, commit to a smaller goal, like eating everything sitting down or deciding in advance when and how many treats you’ll have. Eventually the small goals lead up to big ones!
Old 12-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #110
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - Mourning for Newtown, Connecticut

Diet Coaches/Buddies – I know it's hard to talk about any subject other than the one we're talking about everywhere else, but here we gotta keep going on our accountability.

I aced the eighth night of Hanukkah last night, CREDIT moi. It was a small gathering and we were chastised for not consuming sufficient appetizers. Then dinner turned out to allow modest portions, including veggies - I was thrilled. I had only one rip of challah bread and a tiny portion of the cranberry tart for dessert. The service was fun. The story was told by a young teen with corrections by her older sister.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for "one last meal of greens from my garden" - you do seem to be able to stretch it out.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Cookies left with the hostess is just the right place. Kudos for allowing yourself the taste of the cranberry bread without eating a whole slice.

maryann - Congrats on the pass in your third semester of your MFA in Writing Program. That's a lot of Christmas parties.

HaleyJu - Great reminder, "Exhaustion and stress are not conducive to mindful behavior" - I need that one. Sounds like you made your D.C. trip an exercise trip as well.

nationalparker – Love the thought of stars over rural Montana. Sounds like you found a way to have Chinese and stay your path at the same time.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1
The Key to Success

With the Beck Diet Solution, you'll learn one new skill every day. By the end of six weeks, you'll have learned everything you need to continue losing weight and to be on your way to keeping it off - permanently.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 24.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 10 years
Old 12-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #111
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hello Coaches!

Yes, BBE, sadness here, but it's a responsibility to live our best life and accountability is important for me, too.

Yesterday I put the new battery in my scale and did not like the number at all when I gave it a shot. I then moved the scale to several more locations and never did get the same number...a 4 pound variance. credit for trying but I think I need a new scale. I weighed again this morning with the reliable scale..credit. Work today, I'll take my orange. Leftover goodies are in freezer as planned. Tree is up and lots of healthy food in the fridge. credit for a plan.

Take care all.

My last 54 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!
Old 12-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #112

Yoga this morning -- credit
Tracking again-- credit (trying out My Fitness Pal as an alternative to the old friend Fit Day. MFP seems to have many more things in their data base.)

The rest of the day is all about school work. And really, I would much rather have a nap!! This is a short week though. We get out Wednesday afternoon for the holidays.

Since I missed a week I thought I would backtrack on some of the unposted tips. This is from Thursday this week.

Quote:
December 13, 2012 - Think Thin Thursday Tip
If you’ve lost weight and then gained it back in the past, remember that if you want different results, you have to do things differently. Cutting out favorite foods and slashing calories to lose weight quickly ultimately won’t lead to permanent weight loss because it's not maintainable. This time, focus on making changes that you CAN maintain – which makes weight loss maintainable, too.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #113
Enjoying la bella vita

Hello! A dreary midwest rainy day. Have been working on Christmas food projects all day and now getting ready to move into phase II on them ... need to plan tomorrow's meals - i've slacked here yesterday and today on the prior planning and my game-time decisions are ... um... lacking. Lunch was homemade turkey chili with beans, green pepper, tomatoes, onions, etc., but I took a larger serving than I needed and ate it all. I could have stopped earlier when no longer hungry. Need that to CLICK!

Credit for my on plan breakfast and can resurrect the day with a healthy veggie-laden dinner.

Liked the story told by the young teen with corrections by older sister - that makes me smile! I can just picture that! Thanks, BBE!

I have been thinking that I need to get my scale reset because it's reading higher than the dr. office, which typically was always higher (and plus I'm wearing clothes there!)... but the process required me to remove the battery and i need to track down a mini screwdriver. Maybe I don't want to... if I'll get even higher results! ack! Good luck with that, Lexiss!

So close ... now so far!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #114

S/C/G: 250/233.5/180

Height: Six feet, one inch

Default Good Afternoon!

Hi Coaches and Becksters,

So I'm developing new responses and they are (strangely enough because often when I think about CBT, I picture Stuart Smalley, aka Al Franken,) pretty helpful. When I went to the movies (BillBlueEyes: "Skyfall" was entertaining although the franchise definitely wants Craig to be a more tortured soul type of Bond), I wrote a response plan for avoiding popcorn, which was before I read the section in Beck about cravings, and it worked!

Obviously, much of this plan is about practice, the physical act of changing your behavior, and so most folks will already "know" the information contained within. For me it has been revelatory and pretty humbling in the sense of "sure you know something, but do you really know it?" No, I can't say I do until I take it out for a ride. And what a great ride so far.

Yesterday, I read the section about cravings but I didn't get a chance to practice it because I felt no particular cravings even though I went to my wife's Christmas party and there was plenty to tempt. Hmm, maybe in hindsight I was practicing the "No Choice." Good for me!

Tomorrow I start the actual diet although I have been following Pollan's advice for a couple of weeks. My challenge will definitely be to plan in advance and stick with it.

Wish me luck--I wish you luck--and until that time...
Old 12-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #115
Green Tomatoes

Late check-in. I'm spending more time than is healthy on news sites, so it's good to see we're rolling along here as needed.

No plan today, but I'm eating like I had one so good for that. I'm also getting myself close to on track for exercise minutes after being behind most of the month. I even exercised through my second snack time and I can wait until supper now.

HaleyJu: I gained about a pound during a two week Ireland holiday in June -- and then gained about eight pounds in the next six weeks. I highly recommend nipping that post-vacation weirdness in the bud.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #116
Enjoying la bella vita

Need to haul out my book and stick my nose into it for some support. I made miniature gingerbread houses that perch on your coffee or hot chocolate mug. Cute as all get-out. They're only about 3" big. Then one collapsed. Grr. I ate the roof. Then another one crashed. Another roof eaten. Now there's a pile of rubble among the ones I'd done and I've eaten more than I wanted to ... but in all actuality it wasn't as much as i keep thinking it was. Credit for distracting myself from that rubble that's loaded with cute sugars, snowflakes, etc.

Off to clean up the two-room mess i've created with this project. And to brush my teeth to signal end of eating.

So close ... now so far!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #117

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi coaches.... checking in. The decision is in: no Christmas baking. Yay.

Food is up and down. We went out to dinner tonight and I had salmon, steamed green beans, spaghetti squash and some brownie. It was our annual dinner and Christmas lights night with long time friends. Very fun.

My sister is coming to visit. I am excited.

I've made a plan for today. Credit.

Hope you are all doing well.

Move ticker, move!
Next Mini Goal - 214

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." - Margaret Thatcher

I can't lose 100 pounds....but, just maybe I can lose five pounds twenty times.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #118
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

An early check in reporting I have already shed my many layers of Colo. winter clothes for an early morning weigh in. credit. Food OK yet will be very happy for the holidays to be over. Another party tomorrow... One of my favorite sayings, (not original) is:
It's not what you eat between Thanksgiving and Christmas but what you eat between Christmas and Thanksgiving...(or something like that). I like the way I eat between Christmas and Thanksgiving better yet I stay pretty darned good "on track" with holidays these days. Credit Beck.

My last 54 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!
Old 12-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #119
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - Thoughts still with the Newtown, Connecticut community

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was a bird walk, CREDIT moi, where the Canvasbacks (ducks) were passing through on their way to someplace where they'll still be able to get food. I always think of heading south to keep warm - but it's written that birds migrate for food. I admit that it'd be tough to be a diving duck when all the ponds were frozen. Keeping up with the group while in my cast was a challenge. I'm fine - just slow.

Big success was sitting for a spell with the group munching Fig Newtons; I had none, CREDIT moi. I've had days when I met this situation and downed a handful. Even though factory-made, I love my Fig Newtons. And Strawberry Newtons. They were the whole wheat kind. It's just amazing how my brain sees "whole wheat" and immediately thinks: wholesome ... good for me ... reduced calories. Alas, they're still sugar bombs coated with crisco-cake. And so addictive.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Nice combo - skip a snack because you were exercising through it.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – I understand; I recall that a few years ago I replaced the battery in my scale and when I didn't like the reading, I replaced that one with a lithium one. The number stayed the same. Kudos for your planning.

Beverlyjoy – Yay for a fun evening with friends combined with modest eating. I need to hear that over and over and over. Good times with friends does not need to mean too much food.

HaleyJu - Kudos for diligence setting up the best way to track your input. Yay for the thought of Christmas vacation.

BigchiefDavid – Kudos for planning to avoid popcorn and Kudos again for executing your plan. I take note that "tortured soul type" is the new fashion for men, LOL.

nationalparker – Drooling over "homemade turkey chili with beans, green pepper, tomatoes, onions, etc." - but I drool for a huge bowl, LOL. Good luck getting your scale calibrated. I once considered taking my bathroom scale to the balance-beam scale at my gym so I could step back and forth between the two until I got them equal. Until I finally remembered that I didn't care that much about the absolute number, just how it was changing and whether my clothes fit.

Ouch for the attack of the gingerbread houses. Methinks that cute is another of those words that made it OK to eat off plan.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1
The Key to Success
...You'll get to the point where you
react differently
when you see food
.....you know you shouldn't eat.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 24.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 10 years
Old 12-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #120
Green Tomatoes

I didn't write a food plan yesterday, but ate well anyway, following the plan in my head that I would have written had I got around to it.

Credit for a written food plan for today.

WI: -0.75 kgs, Exercise: +70 655/1400 minutes for December, Food: NA%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: Marion Nestle calls that reaction to the words "whole wheat" the "health halo" effect. There is a study that showed that people will estimate the calories in a cup of chili + salad as lower than the calories in the cup of chili by itself. And, dieters are more likely to let the presence of a salad lower their calorie estimation than the general population!