Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi coaches/beckies/friends - yesterday was healthy. However, once again I ate extra in the evening. I must find the willingness to use my resistance techniques. My sabatoging thought was... 'oh this extra apple and some chocolate aren't going to make a big difference'. If it was once in a while, maybe not. But, it's becoming an every evening occurance. I need to answer this thought.

Yesterday I was able to eat slower, drink lots of water, do my exercises, stay with my plan (mostly) wieghed, & plan/measure/log. I weighed myself yesterday and saw it go up a pound, which I know wasn't possible. It really made me bummed for a portion of the day. I need to wrap around my brain that 'it's only informaiton'.

I hope you are all having a good day.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #32  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

A different sort of program that I have participated in over the last few years is EBT (emotional brain training). I found it very, VERY effective at dealing with specific issues over the years. It helped me resolve quite a lot of my emotional issues that I managed with food.

While I still use the principles I learned with EBT, it requires more support than I can afford at this time. The method has local support groups and telegroups and it costs quite a bit of money to participate. As I've been reading through the Beck materials, there are several similarities, so being able to come here to chat with all of you, and to listen to what you have to say, it's very important to me.

Just wanted to thank all of the coaches participating here. I look forward to getting into the deep stuff with you all!
Old 12-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #33  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I slept in today and after coffee headed right to the pool....not having my smoothie until post workout. A very unusual occurance for me anymore. My morning routine is set. credit. I'm making split pea soup right now...vegetarian. I'm going to try to finish it with all the beet greens from my beet purchase yesterday. I struggled with emotional responses yesterday yet I'm so grateful to continue on my path forward today.

Thanks for continuing to share insights and progress, everyone! I really appreciate the power of this group.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #34  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I just received some good news--I'm going to have a piece published on a high-profile website in the near future!

Now, I want to eat to celebrate! So, I came over here to post instead. Credit! I'll celebrate by planning some ways to take advantage of my good news -- up here at my computer where no food is allowed.

I'm remembering that my parents always, always, always, went out to eat on the night that there was good news in our household. No wonder that impulse is so ingrained.

The internet gives me a better way to celebrate. I've already heard back from the friend I emailed who was in the best position to fully understand the impact of the news. So instead of eating, I get to share my news, here and elsewhere.

WI: NC in kgs, Exercise: +55 135/1400 minutes for December, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 12-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

I am very grateful for many things. I did not have to move my ticker up for the month of December. I had anther planned eating day, absolutely no chocolate hunting at school. That is the first in a long time. These are all triumphs especially when considering a heartache I have had today. I have come to the conclusion that an old friend is angry at me for some reason. He refuses to say any but the most cursory remarks. I finally verified my suspicians this morning when he would not look at me while i was talking to him alone in the library. I have no idea what happened. He has in the past simply written off others because of some slight he never divulges to them. He tells others. I have seen it happen over and over again. I guess it is my turn.

I have learned that I will do almost anything to have everyone like me. Inside me, I become panicky and anxious at the thought that I am disliked or even hated. I realize now my feelings are a result of a childhood based in fear and loneliness (two alcoholic parents.) My reaction to conflict and "abandonment" of a friend have caused me to react in incredibly destructive ways over my lifetime: people pleasing; clinging to emotionally abusive relationships; my own abusive manners; and of course overeating. My friend had the same reaction toward me years ago and I begged my way backed into his graces. I am the clown, the jester, just say you like me.

My meditation today said pain is only overcome if it is felt. Wow! is that not a truism. So I am feeling the pain tonight. I am trying to not to make global statements like i will lose all friends and end up alone. Like I will die alone. Like I lost a friendship becuase i am unworthy of friendship. All these thoughts are false but my mind likes to entertain them so that I will resort to eating to soothe myself.

Advantage card of the day. I will find other ways to soothe myself.

Last edited by maryann; 12-04-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #36  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Arrow more working, less eating

Coaches

Weighed today and saw 253.2. Good. It's on the way down. I was *hungry* today and yesterday and this is also good. And, not coincidentally, I started working at my studio yesterday and again today. And even though I am frustrated that it's not "just ready" for my arrival (where are my minions I ask?) and I struggled to find even the smallest groove with my inks and my paper and my woodblocks I know this is a necessary transition period. I just want it to be done already.
Hello?
Transitions happen over time...

And so I must muddle through and NOT EAT OVER IT.

I am tracking *credit* and have gone a bit over but I'm ok with that. It's evening out and it's not an emergency. I am making adjustments and planning ahead. It's all good.

Must get to bed though. Super-late for me now.

Last edited by onebyone; 12-05-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 242/190.5/153

Height: 5'6"

Just catching up with all the postings. I am still here. I am still tracking. Ad just like a Gloria Gaynor, I will survive (Christmas).

Look forward to properly posting again in the near future, but meanwhile I'm still on it.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #38  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Some good, some bad on a trip through Costco. Driving there I refused to make the decision to have no FREE food samples - don't know why. So I had dark chocolate covered pomegranate as soon as I walked in the door, Ouch. However, on my way out, as I was designing my path to go by that sample station again, my mojo returned - I designed an exit path around the other way to avoid an exit sample. CREDIT moi for recovery. I'm on plan for the day since I skipped two of my snacks just because I didn't need them. I left some potato on my plate at dinner - something I'm trying to do more frequently.

Exercise was walking a long distance in the Costco parking lot with my walking stick. I had looked forward to using my Temporary Handicapped Parking tag but found all eight handicapped spaces already filled. Oh Well. Don't recall seeing that before, but then again, my brain only sees empty parking spaces, LOL.

onebyone – A good mantra for anytime, "muddle through and NOT EAT OVER IT." So good to be reminded that muddling along is not failure worthy of self-punishment. Congrats on the scale moving in the right direction.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats on that upcoming publication - that's a big deal. And Honking Kudos for choosing a celebration other than eating. Didn't we all get raised to think that food was the basis of celebrating success.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – So yesterday was emotional day on the old Beck Thread. Kudos for confronting yours.

Beverlyjoy – Kudos for challenging the Sabotaging Thought, '...aren't going to make a big difference' since the daily use of that reasoning will make a difference.

maryann - Ouch for "feeling the pain tonight" with Kudos for recognizing that some global predictions are slipping into your thinking. It's so hard to experience the actions of others without assuming that we've done something.

TeachMe - Glad you're still here and surviving. I do hope you can survive nine months of over discussion of a single pregnancy. It's dominating our newspapers as if George V still had his fingers in our pie.

HaleyJu - Waving toward Washington, D.C.. Say hello to Barack and Michelle for me during your executive tour of the White House.

Georgia (geoblewis) – Gotta love the name, EBT (emotional brain training) - just because it sounds like the right idea, and possibly because it sounds a bit like CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy). One of the books I'm currently reading covers the recent research in neuro-science seeking the source of emotions. The brain is one marvelous organ.

BigchiefDavid – Finding time is a challenge - but one worth pursuing. Kudos for your credited strategies of the day.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1
The Key to Success

How Cognitive Therapy Works

For example, have you ever strayed from a diet for any of the following reasons:
. . .. . .
  • You were too tired to cook, so you opted for fast food instead.
  • You were too polite to turn down the dessert that your friend baked.
  • You were at a party and felt like treating yourself.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 21.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #39  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

My day is planned *credit*. I'm going easy with my choices today since yesterday included an off plan mid afternoon snack. ouch. I did, however, have a light dinner (prepared by dh) and went to bed early before any snacking entered the picture. (actually, evening snack was one banana) credit.

BBE, a coworker brought those pomegranate goodies to work last week. I had a few, then recognized there wasn't much healthy to them. Kudos for avoiding the station on your way out.

MaryAnn, sending supporting thoughts to you. Even when you know a persons' history (he's done it before) it is very painful when you are the next in line. Happened to me with a (dear) friend in Alaska. As long as I lived there everything was great but as soon as I left there was no effort on her part to maintain our friendship. I tried, tried, and beat myself up for awhile. Now I accept the good things we had and move on with my life in my present moment.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #40  
Green Tomatoes

Just a quick check-in. Today's supper will be at my brother's house. It's a relief for that not to be a big deal. I know for certain that the food will be appropriate because that's how they do things in their kitchen.

WI: -0.45 in kgs, Exercise: +0 135/1400 minutes for December, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 12-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 250/233.5/180

Height: Six feet, one inch

Default Good Morning!

Yesterday, I ate mindfully, sitting down and followed my future diet. Credit, credit, credit. The day was jam packed although there will be relief after Saturday, so I will find the time necessary to make this work because this is something that will help me become healthier and happier. Ah, another credit

Good luck and good resolve to everyone today. Your posts and results are very inspiring.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi... today is my official 'ticker' day. I've been up and down and all around with the same pound. Today the scale again says 215. - as it was last Wednesday.

My food was all over the place yesterday... however, within my range. I ate some pistachio nuts before bed. I think I will need to write down some kind of a plan to use my resistance techniques especially for the evening.

Credits: exercise, water, wrote down all that I ate and always left a bite of food on my plate.

Today I go get my bloodwork rechecked. I think it should be improved.

Have a great day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 12-05-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 183/170.5/>140

And yet again, the daily tip is incredibly on target.......
Quote:
December 5, 2012 - Wednesday Sabotage
Sabotaging Thought: I’m too stressed right now to work on healthy eating.

Response: Even during times of stress, I brush my teeth, put on my seatbelt, take care of my kids, etc. Since I don’t let stress be an excuse to stop doing these things, I also can’t let it be an excuse to stop practicing my dieting skills.
Mecifully, the scale has stayed within a pound of the pre-Thanksgiving low. It's not going down but after the last week or so, I consider staying the same a victory. Let's hope I can say that when next I weigh, a week from today. I really need daily reinforcement. Maybe the skinny jeans I'm taking will be a good enough reminder not to eat through the entire trip.

Have a good week everyone. I'm taking an iPad and will try to stop in some.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #44  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - St. Nicholas Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Headed out for dinner with DW to a new Japanese Ramen place. Seemed like a lot of food in that one bowl. I left a wad of the noodles themselves, along with a large piece of the fatty pork, so I felt that I'd made an attempt at eating on plan, CREDIT moi. Naturally, the ingested salt will show up on the scales for a few days. The stock was yummy beyond description. I've been several weeks now without extras for snacks - the feeling of being back in control continues to grow.

Exercise continues to be limited. I'm practicing doing stairs since it appears that my left leg isn't as strong after four weeks of being ignored. It's awkward to use a leg when the ankle doesn't bend. Last night I used my Temporary Handicapped Placard to great advantage.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for a DB who prepares healthy food.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for a DH who prepares a healthy dinner. (Today's theme, LOL.)

Beverlyjoy – Hope that your blood work shows good news. I continue to admire your consistency in leaving food on your plate.

HaleyJu - Skinny jeans will be a great tactile reminder. And Washington, D. C. is one major walking city - you might find yourself losing weight when out exploring.

BigchiefDavid – Yep, Three Kudos for your Three Credits. Sanity is a challenge when busy, busy, busy.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1
The Key to Success

How Cognitive Therapy Works

To successfully lose weight and keep it off, you need to solve these kinds of practical problems. You'll also need to solve some psychological problems, such as:
  • Feeling overwhelmed by the requirements of your diet
  • Feeling deprived
  • Feeling discouraged when you don't lose weight consistently or lose as much weight as you had hoped
  • Feeling stressed by other life problems

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 21.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #45  
Green Tomatoes

Credit for another good eating day and yay for another loss. I seem to have left behind the demons of last month, for now.

I have a new way of planning that makes it easy to estimate the times for the tasks I intend. The tasks I have on tap for today are estimated to take 23 hours and forty minutes. LOL! It's kind of obvious why I've had difficulty with my to do list in the past. I'll go remove quite a few tasks after I finish posting here.

The tricky part of the food plan today is an Open House at supper time. It's always hard to know what to do. Eat several appetizers including lots of veggies and call it supper? Eat a few appetizers and call it a snack with a normal, but quick and late, supper at home? Eat no appetizers and have supper at a nearby restaurant? And, of course, it's best if my choice matches DH's and he's often not inclined to make the decision before he gets there.

Oh well. The plan for the rest of the day will be a bit on the light side so that I can be nimble in the last minute decisions at the end of the day.

WI: -0.15 in kgs, Exercise: +20 155/1400 minutes for December, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: Great that you're getting around and able to use your leg some. I got confused by some doctor's instructions once when I was younger and let my shoulder muscles atrophy after I broke my collar bone -- that's a long recovery so I applaud you getting exercise however you can. Straight seated leg lifts with the cast on should make for good quad development!

HaleyJu: Have a wonderful journey! Looking forward to your reports.

Beverlyjoy: Crossing my fingers for your blood work.

BigchiefDavid: fun idea to have a practice day, following your "future diet." Glad it went well.
Closed Thread