Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 01:42 AM   #211  
Jenn

S/C/G: 113/85/75

Default thanks everyone

Thanks for the great welcome everyone. I'm officially up to day 20 of the program and counting. Though as I said before I tend to read ahead, so find myself trying things out beforehand. That said, getting back on track seems to be a booster of already learned skills from earlier, but a good reminder.

I was cooking an OP meal and realised how large the serve was, so I practiced leaving the food on the plate. Which was good, I was comfortably full quite quickly, and left enough behind to serve as an allowed snack about an hour later when I was hungry again. Credit for both the decision to practice a skill I thought I wouldn't need to practise (but do) and for succeeding. Also covered noticing the difference between craving and hunger and working out when full ... A long term issue for me.

Futurefitchick great news on achieving the goal and for a wonderful welcome.
Gardenerjoy I like the ingredient emergency comment, may use it myself in future.
Nationalparker stay with it. It took me over twelve months to eliminate all of the barriers to being able to do this (I had a problem with chronic fatigue - multiple little reasons that kept adding up to something more than any one issue should have on it's own). Once we works out some of the problems, the diet fell into place and it's going well. Hopefully yours will do the same.
Lexis love reading your posts, thanks for the welcome. You make it easy to feel welcomed to a new group of people.
Billieblueeyes what a bright welcome post, with all the bells and whistles. Thanks, makes me feel like I have arrived somewhere special
Beverleyjoy many thanks for the warm welcome as well.

Phew! Hope I got everyone, if I have missed out anybody it was purely by accident. All the lovely warm welcomes have been great, thanks to you all. I look forward to hopefully becoming a regular for a while!

Last edited by Electro; 12-29-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:44 AM   #212  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - Pepper Pot Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies Hope you are all cooking up a batch of Pepper Pot Soup in memory of that harsh winter night of the Continental Army on December 29, 1777.

Second visit with my physical therapist was even better than the first. He gave me four additional exercises; I did all seven twice yesterday, CREDIT moi. And I went to the gym for a short ride on a stationary bike; my DPT recommended that instead of an elliptical until some muscles strengthen. Multiple short walks taken - I still feel like a wimp that one mile tires the muscles near my ankle.

Eating was on plan for meals, CREDIT moi. Afternoon snack was larger than planned because I had bought some smoked bluefish pate on 50% sale from Whole Foods for Christmas that didn't get eaten. I think smoked bluefish pate is about the best food ever and get it only once every five years or so - it's just not on our mind to shop for it. I'd just celebrate it as if I was consuming a healthy oily fish if I hadn't used Rosemary crackers to carry it down; And if I looked in the list of ingredients I might discover what turns fish to pate, LOL.

Nature Girl Kudos for surviving a day that included gas station food and cookies returning to the kitchen. Love the joyful thought of talking baby stuff. Do you feel old enough to be a grandmother?

Beverlyjoy You've forever replaced Sounds of Silence with "Hello veggies, my old friend" - love it! Goodbye Christmas cookies.

FutureFitChick Looks like your ticker has banged upside the edge of its range - Huge Congratulations for a job well done. Great insight, "I do a lot better when thinking I don't have that far left to go." [Your words are kind and I thank you for them. We do have a supportive community here ... from all of us to all of us. It's neat to be part of it.]

maryann - Kudos for a memorable and terse plan, "No refined sugars. No wheat. Log everything I eat." Sounds like a winning formula. If you were, by any chance, at the Kings dramatic 0:00 second win last night, I hope you didn't have a heart attack.

BigchiefDavid LOL at " putting Beverlyjoy's song on my regular playlist" - I can't get it out of my head. Kudos for breaking local tradition and single serving the main course.

Jenn (Electro) Yep, Monster Kudos for leaving food on your plate - because that one is so hard for me. Designating it as a future snack is a clever win-win strategy. Learning the difference between craving and hunger might just be a lifetime challenge.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2
What Really Makes You Eat

How Thoughts can Sabotage Your Diet Sabotaging thoughts make dieting more difficult in many ways:

...Sabotaging thoughts undermine your confidence. . . .
These are also the kind of thoughts you might have when you see the scale go up, even though you've been eating properly. Instead of saying to yourself, Okay, no big deal ... I should just keep on doing what I've been doing and the scale will probably go down next week - and if it doesn't, I can solve the problem then, you say to yourself, This is terrible. This is never going to work ... I may as well give up now.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 28.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #213  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

My busiest morning of the week....but checking in is important. I've weighed, have a general plan and have packed a dozen little mandarins for my coworkers and myself...perhaps they'll try one now that the candy is gone.

Beverlyjoy, I went back to reread the words of the song...love it. Thx.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #214  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

I set my new target this morning at 179. That should qualify me for an insurance discount.

I am really still trying to wrap my head around being overweight and not obese. That is pretty cool and still not real to me.

Yesterday I was 100% OP and breakfast this morning was also. Lots of writing planned for today. But, I also feel likel I'm getting sick, so I will rest a bit too.

BigChiefDave, glad your evening with friends went well. Sounds great!

BillBlueEyes, Pepper Pot Soup is a new one for me. I'll have to look that up. Great job being on plan!

Electro, great job on leaving food on your plate. That can be a great habit!

Lexxis, ironic that you have to get your restaurant coworkers to try new foods under cookie-less circumstances. Hope your day is great!

MaryAnn, hang in there. travel is hard, but I have confidence in your abilities to be OP.

NatureGirl, great job getting back on track!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #215  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Becksters/coaches - I was helping DH put the new faucett in... and I pulled a muscle in my lower back. Phooey. I know what to do. I had to take the medicine with food last evening. I did eat extra - I don't have to eat extra today, however.

Before then.... yesterday was an awesome healthy day with many credits. I planned/measured/logged, did my journal, always left a bite of food on the plate, ate slower, did some debreathing before I ate, exercised, lots of water & did some reading of my Beck book.

I hope you are all doing well!!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #216  
persist

S/C/G: 296/276/159

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy The wagon ran over me.

Coaches

I want to celebrate the end of the 2012 festive season. I have had a couple of seasons now where I did not gain weight, but this year was not one of them. I just got all loosey-goosey with the measuring and the tracking and the sticking-to-it-iveness left me and I ate. Some old habits resurfaced and I didn't stay on those really bad old places but I didn't get on the wagon either--although my shoelaces must be caught on the wheel or something cause I never seem to be far behind it and I always long to be on the wagon, not running behind, or getting run over by it. You know.

So today * credit* I tracked and was officially weighed in at a ww meeting to see 257.4. Down 3lbs from my wii fit on Thursday, but up 4.6 from 10 days ago. Still. It would have been 10-15lbs and I am now actively resisting and fighting back and making plans to be on plan. I just got so worn out this season and I didn't feel like myself. Lots of worry on my mind.

However, I do have a couch now, which we all love, 3 endtables, 4 new bookcases and 2 sets of drawers and the new larger bed. These are the great changes! But, the price for this is the very large and intimidating pile of bins, boxes and bags that half-fill my dining room. I had to move most of my boxes from when I moved here almost two years ago to make space for those furniture pieces. The hallway is a very tight fit right now as well. So, my work is set out for me. I have made committments to the potters' guild to do some work in the tea room this January and now that Jan is here I want to reneg. I may do it. I may just back out of it. we'll see.

Anyway, I'm on my way to being fully on the wagon once more. I tell you, it was a blessing to see only 257 on that scale. Thanks for listening.

PS. I just added a jpg of my last commissioned piece of 2012: a painting of Jimi Hendrix for an 11 year old boy who's into him and all manner of rock from the late 60's early 70's. This painting made me want to paint MORE! Anyway, called this piece "Feel Me"... I just love that current saying Do you feel me? Can you feel me? Yep. Bye!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jimi30x36t.jpg (37.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by onebyone; 12-30-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:11 AM   #217  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies Did the seven exercises prescribed for my leg's recovery, CREDIT moi. And went to the gym for a session on the stationary bike. I constructed so many Sabotaging Thoughts not to go to the gym - methinks it was the sheer volume of resistance that allowed me to see that it was all nonsense. I had to change into gym clothes and hike myself there. Glad I did. I did only five minutes more than yesterday; I've decided that getting back into cardio can increase slowly, as prescribed, despite my awareness that I'm different from everybody else and could just jump in over my head, LOL.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi - with only one small handful of craisins grabbed to avoid tension. However, I happened to skip all three of my snacks so I can rewrite my plan for the day and call it even.

onebyone Great Jimi Hendrix picture - thanks for posting that. Kudos for doing your WW meeting even when you knew the scale reading would be up. Love reading how you're enjoying your newly furnished abode.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Mandarins are noble replacements for candy.

Beverlyjoy Big Ouch for that pulled muscle - plumbing is one of those trades that stresses odd muscles when unexpected. Kudos for a splendid day.

FutureFitChick Neat to have a goal with a financial incentive to it. Ouch for getting sick - I'm on my second cold for the winter.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2

How Thoughts can Sabotage Your Diet Sabotaging thoughts make dieting more difficult in many ways: . . .

...Sabotaging thoughts allow you to disregard the advice in this book. As you read various parts of The Beck Diet Solution, instead of thinking, I should really carry out every task in the program so I'll have the greatest chance of success, you might think, I don't really have to do [this task]. For example, you might think, I don't have to write down what I'm eating .. I can remember without writing it down. Or, I don't have to sit down when I eat ... I like eating while I'm standing up.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #218  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi Coaches!

I weighed this morning and enjoyed an OP day yesterday. I didn't eat at work and went to bed after dinner since I was tired and knew staying up would only lead to OP eating. Feeling pretty chipper this morning and plan to work on my photo project on this full day off. Found out my sis is flying back into Denver tomorrow eve I'll be back to running all over the place in addition to work for the next two days.

BBE, yay for squelching that sabotaging thought and getting to the gym anyway.

Beverlyjoy, I hope your strain eases quickly.

FutureFitChick, yay for a goal to become overweight. It's such an achievement to see it as a reality.

onebyone, great painting! Kudos for getting to your WW meeting.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #219  

Yesterday eating was not quite OP. I did have an extra snack that I didn't intend. I think I really need to break my regular snack in to two parts so that I eat the originally planned amount just split at two times. It will help when I finally make it to the grocery store to stock up on fresh things. But, my former "skinny-weight" jeans are getting a bit loose and I'm on the second to smallest belt loop too, so that is fun.

BeverlyJoy, great job for planning, measuring, and tracking.

BillBlueEyes, great job for getting to the gym when the pre-workout resistance was so high as well as the mostly OP eating.

Lexxis, hope the next few days aren't too crazy for you and that you enjoy your day off.

OnebyOne, way to go on getting to your meeting and weigh in!

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 12-30-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #220  
Jenn

S/C/G: 113/85/75

Still doing the daily tasks on the program, now over halfway and finding that the sabotaging thoughts are getting easier to identify. Love the fact that I am coming off autopilot and actually starting to notice how adept I was at pushing myself into these no-win food choices. Still a long way to go before it is ingrained thinking, but at least it is started.

BillieBlueEyes rehab is hard and needs a strong mindset to stick to the program and not push to regain pre-injury status. So kudos to you.

Lexiss good work on introducing healthy food to work.

FutureFitChick I have broken my weight loss into mini-goals as well. It was too overwhelming to contemplate the total number at the start.

Beverleyjoy ouch, hope it is getting better now.

Onebyonelove the image of you running after the wagon. Definite kudos for not letting it pass you by.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #221  
persist

S/C/G: 296/276/159

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation quick checkin before we head off to Stressville

Coaches

I'm checking in here FIRST before I ehad off in a car that didn't want to start this morning, but has now mysteriously started again, to pick up the MIL and then we are all off to DH's cousins for a New Year's catered lunch and then heading back and dropping MIL off and then we get to come home. *phew*
I have just had a small snack but think I need something more substantial before I am faced with, what will no doubt be, party aka SNACKY foods galore.

I don't want to succumb to them as I am *finally* on track once more.

Ok. I actually feel better, taking all of you with me to this event.

Will let you know how I did. I will definitely employ "that's not about me" to the sweet things and "persist in victory" as I *remember* to guard the weightloss I have managed to maintain.

Bye!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:03 AM   #222  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Turned an overnight visit of the "kids" into a quick girls trip for me & DD to our favorite small city; did maternity shopping and baby window shopping --waiting for major baby shopping spree in a few weeks when we know whether to buy pink or blue. BBE, I have two married daughters - this one for nearly 5 years so yes I am ready to be a grandma! And old enough because I wanna be the active, healthy, fun! grammy who can play on the floor and visit all the time and go to all kinds of places & events with him/her. I've already bought their first book (Goodnight Moon); I want to buy their first trike, and hand down my DD's first cross country skis (2 feet long-n they're adorable) and take them to the ocean, the mountains, and all my best National Parks.

Had off plan lunch at our favorite amazing restaurant, but that was only 'meal' of the day. Made really good choices earlier when low blood sugar sent me for food NOW and made stellar choices at yet another gas station 6 hours into a 7 1/2 hour round trip...had healthy-ish leftovers (breakfast scramble) for din when I got home.
I'm writing tonight because in the morning I need to get back on the scale after a week of holiday eating...need to be accountable and committed to whatever that number is and what my plan is going forward.
So if I haven't posted at least briefly tomorrow before PT at 11, I hope you will all call me up and ask me what the number on the scale was, and what my plan is
More in the morning
Old 12-31-2012, 05:21 AM   #223  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - New Year's Eve

Diet Coaches/Buddies Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, even though dinner consisted of a HUGE leftover beef rib remnant. It had to be eaten because its clock was ticking down. I've had my protein for the week, LOL. I skipped all three snacks because this cold has my head so stuffed that eating doesn't appeal. My Sabotaging Thought is that I don't deserve credit when my body isn't gnawing at me. So extra CREDIT moi just to stick it to that thought. With my cold, I skipped a party last night with a known large dessert table, so that temptation passes as a freebie.

Didn't make it to the gym, but walked two miles and did my seven rehab exercises, CREDIT moi. My favorite is standing on the recovering leg for 30 seconds - like a flamingo. Sometimes I can do it with minimal touching the wall, but haven't yet done it with zero touching. So I have a goal.

onebyone Ouch for a car with a mind of its own. And Double Ouch for a catered lunch with much time to chat with relatives over finger food. Sounds like you've got your attitude properly adjusted for it.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Kudos one more time for not eating at work - a special achievement when you're surrounded.

Nature Girl Goodnight Moon is my favorite children's book - I can probably still recite it from memory - I know both my kids can. Love your thoughts about being a healthy grandma, especially taking them to "all my best National Parks."

FutureFitChick Congrats on those loose jeans; scales wiggle but jeans don't lie.

Jenn (Electro) Neat "to notice how adept I was at pushing myself into these no-win food choices" - it's stunning to realize that we've been doing this to ourselves.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2

How Thoughts can Sabotage Your Diet Sabotaging thoughts make dieting more difficult in many ways: . . .

...Sabotaging thoughts increase your general level of stress. Dieting takes time and energy, so it's important to reduce your overall stress whenever you can. The way you think about non-dieting-related situations can either increase or decrease your stress. For example, instead of thinking, I'm just human ... It's okay to have strengths and weaknesses, you might think, I should always do things perfectly. This kind of thinking increases your general level of stress because perfection is not attainable. Instead of thinking, I should generally try to be a nice person if I reasonable can, you might think, I should always make everyone happy. This is another highly stressful idea because it also represents an impossible goal.

Throughout The Beck Diet Solution, you'll learn how to identify and respond to all of these kinds of sabotaging thoughts.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #224  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi Coaches!

I weighed this morning and was pleased to see I'm holding at my "coming down" number since yesterday included brunch at my mom's c club. Credit for the awareness that when I eat in a sane fashion like I did yesterday that I am able to hold my ground. I really took time to read over the quote for today since I have some stress going on right now as I go back to the airport tonight to p/u family after a long day at work. I actually don't think it's a coincidence that I was already in a pretty calm place about it all this morning...credit to the Beck program for that.

Work calls...I'm sure there are still plenty of mandarins at work since my coworkers seem to enjoy munching on candy and cookies much more.

Happy last day of the year everyone!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #225  

Had a rough day with my food choices yesterday. I ended up having an emotional time (missing my dad) while celebrating Christmas with my step-mom and brother yesterday. I did not prepare for it as I did not expect those feelings at all. The food plan I had was not sufficient for the very off plan hors d'oeuvres she (unexpectedly) served. This was followed by ordering a chicken meal that was to have "minimal breading" on it that I assumed I could pull off. I am not sure how one possibly could put more bread and coating on a little chicken tender. Now I am putting it behind me, saying "Oh, well!" and planning my food around the menu for the party I will be at tonight.

BillBlueEyes, sorry that you are not feeling 100%. Extra fantastic job for really giving yourself genuinely deserved credit.

Electro, awesome to read that your recognition of sabotaging thoughts is becoming more natural for you.

NatureGirl, your day yesterday sounds really fun. Congratulations on the good choices you made!

OnebyOne, hope all went well for you with your family gathering yesterday.
Closed Thread