Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #196  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Becksters/coaches/friends! We are home sweet home... as they say. Glad to be back home after almost a week 'on the road'. We spent a few days before Christmas at my son's home with them and the grandkids. Then off we went to DH's sister's home. It was so wonderful to see so many folks we love.

I got on the scale yesterday and was five pounds over my ticker weight. - 220. With one day back on plan I am one pound over my ticker weight. (down 4 overnight) A wonderful sight to see. 216. (water weight, I guess) I must really hold onto it and move forward. I do think I ate more than usual for sure the past week. But - I'll accept one pound. I do think me not baking was helpful. However, my SIL and DH went to the bakery to buy cookies for Christmas. *sigh* Oh well.

I have folks coming today to put in new countertops in our kitchen. I need to do a few things. I'll try and get back later and catch up.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #197  
Jenn

S/C/G: 113/85/75

Guess it is about time I started to post. I've been reading the forum for a little while, having discovered it while idly browsing one afternoon and looking for inspiration about my existing diet regime.

I had gained weightnfor a number or reasons over an extended period of time, but had noticed that I had gone from automatically 'thinking thin' to a sedentary lifestyle that revolved around food. The idea of a cbt based program to tackle my now ingrained food thinking made perfect sense. I was already comparing my current attitudes to my old 'beliefs' and how other 'naturally' thin people seemed to behave and knew i had a long way to go.

I have read through the book and while I am trying to implement the program day be day, I keep finding that different things keep creeping in at odd times. For instance I put extra potato salad on my plate on Christmas day and practiced leaving it there. That was definitely tackling an ingrained habit particularly as I was back at the parents house and the idea of food left on a plate is considered a shameful waste there.

So far the program has been so helpful, it is reducing my reliance on using willpower and obsessiveness and allowing me to relax into the diet so that it is more lifestyle change without the feeling of being unfairly restricted.

I love the idea of giving myself credit and catch myself mumbling it under my breath for far more issues than food. It is so easy to be our own harshest critics and such a simple idea.

This forum and the positive attitude of the people on is so motivating, thank you all for being willing to share.

Last edited by Electro; 12-27-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #198  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Last night was OP. Breakfast today was OP. Just trying to keep myself focused and motivated to get through some work I really want done but don't always feel like doing.

BeverlyJoy, great news on the scale! Bummer to hear about the cookie expedition going on over there, but from what you wrote, it read to me like you realize this is THEIR cookie issue and not YOURS or YOUR FAMILY'S.

BigChiefDave, great attitude toward getting 100% back on track!

BillBlueEyes, I'd be worried if the fall of 1 step were enough for a break. So, that is good news. Great to hear about it healing so well. Yeah, the lasagna bar was an attempt to accommodate my and my husband's diet needs with my mother's hatred of anything untraditional. So, I prepped all of the ingredients for her normal recipe along with zucchini noodles for me, spicy (that wasn't) sausage for my step-dad, soy cheese and vegetarian sauce for husband, and lots of veggies for anyone that wanted them. Mom was skeptical, but it turned out OK. We all overfilled our bowls though.

Electro, welcome to you! Those old habits snap back fast at Mom and Dad's! That can be tough, so major credit to you for realizing you had extra potato salad. I really loved your statement "t is reducing my reliance on using willpower and obsessiveness and allowing me to relax into the diet so that it is more lifestyle change without the feeling of being unfairly restricted."

Lexxis, sadly when skimming your message I got to nugget and assumed chicken! Great to hear that you stuck OP with DH's lunch.

NatureGirl, great job getting a plan together for today!
Old 12-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #199  

S/C/G: 173/166/ 154

Height: 5'6

Beverleyjoy: Like you, I weighed four pounds heavier this morning. Do I really rexpect anything else after FOUR Christmas Days in a row - literally? I have a breather today then the last family event tomorrow. I really just want one clean day today--no sugar, eating only what I have written. I hope the scale tomorrow reflects your weigh in and I am down a bit.
BBE: I am convinced the worst injuries never look bad. A good friend threw her back out for months by yawning the wrong way. Really.
FutureFitChick:I hope you get your work done. I remember an efficiency expert wrote "Always do the thing you hate to do most, first." It does make sense. I like the feeling of accomplishment from checking off a list.

Credit: Putting time in to research/refine what I am eating. Credit food plan written and walk planned. The focus for today is lots and lots of veggies/fruit. Some detox from all the sweet.

The good news is the East Coast Storms might have passed when we leave for DC on Sunday.

Last edited by maryann; 12-27-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #200  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

We weathered an ingredient emergency. I had the most beautiful crowns of broccoli but most of them had rot at the base of the florets. It was the only green vegetable in the house (tomorrow is shopping day) and was meant to be the basis of a stir-fry. We got creative and managed a different dish with the best part of the broccoli and pantry ingredients. Good enough for an unexpected development.

WI: +0.05 kgs, Exercise: +65 1165/1400 minutes for December, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, Electro! Sounds like you're off to a great start with Beck!

BillBlueEyes: I'm fascinated by the details of your rehab. Cool that you figured out that you aren't as fragile as first seemed.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #201  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Hello everyone! Tried to rescue another day by ordering salad with grilled chicken at a favorite Italian restaurant this evening, out with my family, still on vacation. Proud of that. Not so proud of the garlic bread that I enjoyed. Struggling to try to get back in semi-control ... tomorrow's plan is to hit the beach for a good walk (not warm, but I love the ocean and miss it greatly in the midwest). Lived by the ocean in Florida, in Italy and in Spain, and now I miss being able to walk, to enjoy the sun, surf, seagulls and sand - so I will soak those up and relish them.

Vacation end is up in the air as we're watching weather for the drive back. Our dog IS a trooper - she's so "roll with the flow" - couldn't ask for better on a 15 hour drive... She's laying at my mother's feet now, snoozing away.

Dread the scale when we return. i'll hop on, though, and see the number and keep at it.

Will I EVER have a new year without the resolution to lose weight or to get healthier - would love to have it to just maintain and stay healthy. It's been a few years now since that was my goal ... I need to do the work to get there in 2013. Thank you for all of your support since I've joined this group. looking forward to actually moving my ticker DOWN one day!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #202  

S/C/G: 250/233.5/180

Height: Six feet, one inch

Default Good Evening!

Hey Coaches and Becksters,

Ate completely OP today, and, as opposed to other times I've dieted, I feel encouraged rather than defeated. Reading the response cards, and crediting myself, which counts as a credit , really help.

Tomorrow night is another small party--some friends from out of town, who are big eaters--but I'm okay with it because I'm cooking.

Just a quick check in, good luck to y'all tomorrow.

Until that time...
Old 12-28-2012, 05:08 AM   #203  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Electro (Jenn), I look forward to getting to know you better. Glad to hear you're already finding inspiration in using Beck skills.

An early check in for me today. Yesterday OP and took time to notice just how many foods and how many times I need to resist during a 9 hour shift. I especially said no no no to a large box of ordinary candy which remained. I noticed at closing that my boss sent the whole thing home with the dishwasher. Yay! The recipient looked very pleased as he left. I've weighed already and am happy to see the number move back down. Lunch out today...possibly WFoods...we haven't planned yet. Dinner is planned already. credit.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:15 AM   #204  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Welcome Jenn (Electro)

Jenn (Electro)

And, on the occasion of your first post,

Neat that you learned about Dr. Judith Beck and this forum while "looking for inspiration."
Old 12-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #205  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies Did my rehab exercises twice per day, CREDIT moi. In the best Beck tradition, I pondered how to make sure that I did them. Solution: track them in my exercise journal as if they were real - an obvious idea that didn't occur to me right away. They don't seem real because they don't include weights with large numbers on them, LOL. Also walked to the library to return a book and pick up Team of rivals: the political genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin. It's a bigger book than I'm ready to let compete with the active stack going down at moment - might have to read a few chapters and skim the rest. There's a useless gene in my DNA that says that I must read every page of every book or I'm a fraud. Gotta get over that.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, except for a larger afternoon snack - Ouch. I skipped morning snack so the calories weren't that off, but the attitude isn't acceptable because it's the entrance to the slippery slope. It rained all day and I was suffering from cabin fever. There's always a slippery reason for diversion that rhymes with Sabotaging Thought, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Joyful turn of phrase, "weathered an ingredient emergency." Kudos for a 65 minute exercise day.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Congrats to your Nuggets. Whatever they've got going I wish they'd send some of it to our Celtics. Kudos for ignoring cookies and chips being consumed. It really is interesting how many food decisions we make a day - mostly decisions to ignore the excess that's constantly offered.

Beverlyjoy Love a four pound wooosh - as if it represented fat lost, LOL. Good luck with your counter tops.

FutureFitChick This is where Beck strategies seem so powerful to me, "work I really want done but don't always feel like doing." Kudos for plugging away. [Thanks for the description of the lasagna bar - I think it sounds fun.]

maryann - Seems like a good notion, "Some detox from all the sweet."

BigchiefDavid Encourages me to hear, "I feel encouraged rather than defeated."

nationalparker Garlic bread is just evil; that stuff should be banned since I have so little defense against it when the wonderful smell hits my nostrils. Watching gulls does refresh the soul. I'm so old that I read the book, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, and loved it.

Jenn (Electro) Thanks for the reminder how easy it is to slip into "a sedentary lifestyle that revolved around food." Kudos for doing the extra food experiment with people watching. (I did it in total privacy so no one would know that I was wasting food.) And Kudos for so quickly coming up to speed giving yourself credit - it's kinda amazing how we've drifted away from that. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2
What Really Makes You Eat

How Thoughts can Sabotage Your Diet Sabotaging thoughts make dieting more difficult in many ways:

...Sabotaging thoughts undermine your confidence. These are the thoughts you have after you've eating something that you think you shouldn't. For example, instead of just saying to yourself, Okay, I made a mistake ... I shouldn't have eaten that, but I can start eating in a better way right now, you say, It's so terrible that I ate that ... I'm so weak ... I'm just not going to be able to lose weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 28.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #206  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hello Beckfolkts.coaches.friends - yesterday was on plan. YAY. Credit. We had workers here a good portion of the day... in the kitchen. I worked around them and kept it on plan. Credit! I wrote it all down, lots of water, exericise and stayed away from DH's pizza last night. Credit.

The kitchen counters are beautiful. It's in honor of our anniversary in January. (35 years). DH REALLY wanted the granite. Is he watching HGTV on the sly. *wink*. I picked it out. Lovely.

Announcement:
All Christmas Cookies have left the building.

Sing to the tune of Sounds of Silence:
Hello veggies, my old friend
I've come to munch with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains - Within the sound of crunchy veggies.

billbe - such a good reminder to me... don't mess with the plan that works. Thanks. Glad PT is going well.

lexxiss/debbie - Credit for all those tempations during the day not acted upon!! Glad the scale is down. YAY

bigcheifdavid - kudo's for your OP day. It's nice when we cook for a gathering and have some control. Carry on.

nationalparker - I think that weight issues will always be part of our New Year's Resolution... simply because it's either losing or maintaining that we will forever deal with.

gardenerjoy
- good job getting through the 'brocolli emergency".

maryann - good job on getting back into some of those good habits of sane eating. Credit for including those veggies. Yes, I am hoping you'll see the scale go down, too.

futurefitchick - CREDIT for you OP days. Carry on! Hope you got your work done as you wished.

electro - WELCOME! Yes, Dr. Becks principles are very helpful. I am so glad you posted...credit. I love to say that word 'credit' to myself too.

Everyone... have a GREAT healthy day.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #207  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

I met another goal this morning, which feels great. I am trying to decide where I want to set the next one. I do a lot better when thinking I don't have that far left to go to reach my goal (rather than trying to think about the end of the rainbow).

Food yesterday and at breakfast was OP. My husband was awesome and made me an OP dinner even when he did not want to eat so that I could keep getting work done. I made it through a ton of research papers yesterday, which felt great. (I was only able to get through them all because I DID NOT read every page. I am still learning like BBE that I am allowed to do that and not ready every word. It still feels like I am cheating at times and that I will miss that one nugget of information that will be the key to the big picture.) Today will be all writing right after I finish my posts.

BeverlyJoy, yay for beating the Christmas cookies out of your house! Congratulations on making your plan work around the workers. Hope you will post a picture of your before and after kitchen. Sounds amazing! Congratulations (early) also on your anniversary.

BigChiefDave, way to be in control of your food by cooking! Great plan!

BillBlueEyes, first, I just wanted to say thanks for your work on this forum. There is a real sense of community that is unmatched by many of the other 3FC threads, and I think that is largely due to you. So, thanks!

GardenerJoy, congrats on the quick thinking revision of your meal plan.

Lexxis, your boss sounds fantastic for getting rid of the junk! Congrats on the loss.

MaryAnn, your friend's back injury makes me feel better about having strained my sacroiliac joint while putting a single shirt in the dryer. Congrats on making it through all of that celebrating. You deserve an extra gift for having done so! Great job on the food research.

NationalParker, great job on the salad. Bread is soo difficult! You have lived in some incredible places!!

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 12-28-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #208  

S/C/G: 173/166/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Credit for logging ALL food yesterday. Credit for a walk. I will stretch the success by repeating those achievements and begin implementing my new traveling goals. Three simple rules: No refined sugars. No wheat. Log everything I eat. There you have it. I have been dreading traveling because it is so difficult to stay OP when eating out. I feel confident in the plan. It will see me through the dorms and touristing in DC.

I am feeling much better today. I have taken two days off any family visiting. Tonight is the last big event - box seats at an NBA game. I am confident about eating. No big rabbit hole foods there.

Weight was only down .6 pounds but I will not be defeated.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #209  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Yesterday I told myself Food does not fix frustration" as I bit into yet another King's Hawaiian roll. Started out well but DH took a route home that avoided Trader Joe's; lunch was cheese stick and peanuts at a gas station. THe afternoon went downhill when Iwas home alone with a ton of laundry & chores...gotta admit a pity party might have been part of the issue. Got back on track for din, then DH brought DD's cookies back in the kitchen - arghhhh!!
Today however has been right OP and I've out of the house and busy and I guess that has helped with my attitude adjustment. Healthy dinner planned, looking forward to DD & DSIL overnight and that will keep me distracted from after dinner eating. Because we'll be talking baby stuff!!!
BBE: I know PT and exercise after injury seems slow and not enough, but that's what they seem to do all the time - building strength gradually.
Beverlyjoy: LOVE your veggie song!
Lexxiss: its good to remember and credit all the challenges we do face and successfully face down
Old 12-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #210  

S/C/G: 250/233.5/180

Height: Six feet, one inch

Hey Coaches and Becksters,

I'm putting Beverlyjoy's song on my regular playlist.

BBE--good luck with the PT. My wife is a PT and I know it will work for you, especially with CBT.

Future Fat Chick--Congrats on hitting another goal.

I stayed on plan today except for a little dessert, which ironically was the only thing I didn't cook for my dinner party guests. Usually, I prepare family-style for these types of meals--I live in New Orleans and we love a big pot of food setting (yep, I mean "setting") on the stove--but this evening I plated everything and served it away from the kitchen in the dining room. We all ate a single serving of the main course, and I think we were all the happier for it.

Great night with friends and no regrets. Can't ask for anything more.

Until that time...
Closed Thread