Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 05:09 AM   #181  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Coaches/Friends!

Merry Christmas/Happy Holiday...whichever you prefer...Thank you all for your continual support and encouragement which help me beyond words as I put one foot in front of the other and move forward day by day in an effort to lose my excess weight and formulate my new relationship with food. We see each other through ups and downs and find humor and compassion with and for one another. It would be a very lonely journey for me from this little town high in the Colorado Rockies if not for my wonderful friends at 3fc/Beck/South Beach...

I've weighed this morning and am happy to report success yesterday. I did have several cookies BUT passed on the obsession. I had a larger success yesterday as my boss informed me that he had a box in his freezer with 20# of vegetarian "Colorado" green chili, which I'm able to package up for 20 meals for DH and I...my healthy version of the restaurant's breakfast burrito. Every time I am able to come up with a 100% enjoyable healthy meal option I step further from items which I know need to be a part of my food past.

I've switched meals for today. We will have a healthy breakfast with mom, our usual morning smoothie for lunch and will go lite with a super greens salad for dinner.
Breakfast: free range scrambled eggs, organic hash browns, vegetarian sausage, moms homemade banana bread, sprouted grain toast w/homemade jelly, brussel sprouts and salad

Enjoy your day, everyone!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 12-25-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #182  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I hope everyone celebrating had a wonderful and wonder-filled day!

I successfully met my resolution to skip the stuffing at today's family gathering. It turned out there was no stuffing served, so it was pretty easy. But I'll take credit anyway!

I'm pleased with myself for exercising on Christmas Day. I have a streak going this month--30 Day Shred on odd-numbered days. I didn't break it, even for the holiday!

WI: -0.55 kgs, Exercise: +20 1075/1400 minutes for December, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 12-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #183  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Talked to the DDs who are not with us today, made sure the one who was home had all the essential traditions. (She feigns indifference but calls us on it when we miss a detail) Talked to parents who had younger friends to host them since none us kids made the 500 mile trip. Two new books and 2 new mags for me and various printed gifts for DH & DD so it's easy to look forward to curling up in the cozy chair with something to read...my favorite part of a holiday (after the chaos of opening gifts, of course!)
My plan is to start fresh in the morning; no regrets, no guilt over what I've nibbled on today. I have actually made many good choices but of course we always want to focus on the things we messed up on. So wipe the slate clean after one last Christmas cookie (and remember how many you DIDN'T eat) and start with a healthy breakfast, reasonable and superfood filled lunch, and carefully planned choices at the evening dinner for 10 we will be attending, if the roads get better. Also a plan for a long walk now that DH plowed out the lane and the snow has slowed down...very pretty out there right now.
Holiday wishes!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #184  
persist

S/C/G: 296/276/159

Height: 5' 6"

Default regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention

Coaches

Boldog Karascony! aka Merry Christmas in Hungarian!

I have had a very off plan couple of days. I can tell you, I feel *deep* regret and my body feels *bad*. I can also tell you I have had xmas's where I stayed within my plan and they definitely feel better. So, note to self, don't do it this way next year.

*credit for weighing in: 255.3

I did spend a nice xmas day with DH and MIL. Got two great gifts from DH and several nice ones from MIL including a very generous gift card to the local art store. She was too generous. It's a nice "fault" to have!

Called those dear to me to say happy holidays. Did not hear from some family members, heard from others.

I had a minor meltdown after dropping off an emergency gift yesterday afternoon (long story) and driving it over to their house which looked like it was off of a picture postcard with the caption "Ideal Christmas" benetah it. It looked so perfect in every way that I just felt inadequate and sad for my whole family being so dysfunctional and distant. And then the feeling passed and I was happy for what I have, which is a heck of a lot.

And on that note I will leave and see you tomorrow.

Last edited by onebyone; 12-26-2012 at 12:11 AM. Reason: atrocious spelling on Christmas Day
Old 12-26-2012, 05:18 AM   #185  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - Boxing Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies 'Twas a wonderful, traditional Christmas day. I did fill the stockings before anyone else got up. Much joy came from the unexpected. My DD knew that I drink tea daily from a mug with a minor chip in the lip because she had given me the mug years ago; so she gave me a new one. Many books, much laughter, a gentle good morning.

My eating, that was so stellar on Christmas Eve, went to the high end of OK - Ouch. Our traditional breakfast has come to include Black Forrest bacon, which I now plan to eat this once per year. This year it also included French toast made with fresh, organic, Jersey Cow eggnog covered with Pumpkin-pecan butter from Williams Sonoma. Decadent to the highest order. Timing of meals was so off that I nibbled cookies in the afternoon in lieu of lunch before I got back on track with dinner. CREDIT moi for the resistance that kept it from being much worse. Yay for Christmas. Yay that it comes but once a year.

onebyone True joy: "I was happy for what I have, which is a heck of a lot."

Joy (gardenerjoy) Yay for avoiding stuffing - both meanings. Kudos for Shredding Christmas.

Debbie (Lexxiss) This seems like the key to me, "...BUT passed on the obsession." If we avoid the obsession, our minor drift off path doesn't bring us down. Love that you had Brussels Sprouts for breakfast.

Nature Girl LOL at, "She feigns indifference but calls us on it when we miss a detail" - we encounter that at every turn. Hope you can maneuver in your snow; it appears that we might see some of it soon.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2
What Really Makes You Eat

The Thought Comes First

Jim, indeed, was tempted to eat the bread. He did have the thought, That smells so good, I really want it. But this time he was able to respond to his sabotaging thought. He didn't give himself the choice to take any bread. He was really pleased by this accomplishment.

You can learn to do what Jim did.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 27.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #186  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi Coaches!

I've weighed this morning and am headed off to work. Yesterday would have been "perfect" with food except that I chose to indulge in more than one portion of the homemade banana bread before heading to bed. Ouch...but Beck gives me ideas for planning ahead...the rest of it is going into the freezer before I head off to work, with my navel orange in tow. Speaking of work on Monday I made care packages for everyone to take home with candy and cookies that had been delivered. Work environ will be much better today unless more stuff gets dropped off.

Have a good day everyone...must run.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #187  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Belated Merry Christmas/Buon Natale! I've fallen off here as we packed up our gifts, baked goods, dog and whatever else I could cram in the car and drove down to my folks in Florida, straight through this year without our usual overnight hotel stay, making the drive very long ... somewhere along the way I lost my Beck's tools ... and have not done well here with the eating/lack of planning. Oh, it's CHRISTMAS excuse can no longer be used. In retrospect, it wasn't as terrible as it seemed because I focus on the two petit fours I didn't need, etc. but plan is in place to do better today.

Avoiding a foot of snow at home, so I'm happy about that and just keeping my fingers crossed the roads are clear for the way home in a few days. More snow coming in a few days and no temps above freezing, so of course I'll worry.

Very thankful to have family to come home to, and share the holiday with. Nice to still have a "home" to go home to and I'm blessed in that regard, among others.

I need to go back and catch up with everyone's Christmases. Hope they were safe, enjoyable and with those we love.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #188  

Posting again so soon because my plannedstrong start this morning was shakey--I want to keep my resolve and focus.
I asked DD & DH to take the containers of their favorite cookies out of the house so I didn't eat any (more). They both said yes, of course, and then left them here on the counter. After I write this I will take them to the barn. But that is easier said than done becuase it is STILL snowing here--beautiful but slow going to get around. That was my excuse for leaving for Physical Therapy late so I had to eat my breakfast in the car. That is not in my plan, but the good thing was I dished up my traditional healthy breakfast with fresh pineapple for the fruit portion and ate that on the way to PT - a compromise because it wasn't fast food or Julekake but it was eaten on the run. Can't do an hour of PT with nothing on my stomach though. And between the snow and the dogs who all needed to be fed, medicated and shooed outside (reluctantly, into the snow) I just ran out of time for a leisurely sit down breakfast.
Afternoon trip across the mountains is still up in the air - the Pass looks better than here in our valley-- will plan healthy lunch for the road and getting ready to make healthy appetizers for party so I'll have at least one thing to eat if we go.
Will save walk until we know if we are going - the weather over there will be rainy at worst --able to walk farther because no snowboots.
nationalparker: that "Oh its Christmas" or "Oh its (insert holiday here" has gotten us in so much trouble in the past, hasn't it?!
Lexxis: good strategy - send it home with someone else! It has also helped me to have clearcut 'rules' about what I can eat: "Oh thank you for the offer of Hershey's kisses but I can only have dark chocolate!"
BBE: I think the timing of meals is almost tougher than what is served; we are used to a routine and our 'stomach clock' (Peanuts' Snoopy had one of those) doesn't adjust well for holiday time.I bet that will be a problem for me again next Tuesday; I think I'd better factor that into my plan.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #189  

S/C/G: 173/166/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Thanks for all the well wishes from everyone, to everyone. Together we are greater then our food obsessions. I believe that. Christmas was not OP. The best I can say is that I was gentle with myself and did what I could to comfort myself without food - that included a quick nap in front of the fire, going home (with DS) earlier than most, telling the truth to DH about my headache and depression.

It is what it is. Just because I am depressed does not mean that I am ungrateful. Wow. I just had a breakthrough. I always think of my blues as if they were some sort of ingratitude. "If I was really grateful then I would be happy." What a load to carry - depression and condemnation. My blues are because they are - biochemical, emotional, whatever. I don't "deserve" them. In fact, I go to incredible length to minimize their impact by counseling, exercise, healthy eating. So I guess I am giving myself a big credit.

Step class this morning, read Beck, OP eating, some errands getting ready for the big trip to the East Coast to begin my last semester of my MFA program.

Will check in tomorrow. Best day to all.

Last edited by maryann; 12-26-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #190  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Just got back from an extended (compared to typical visits) to my mom's. I found great dishes with very little need to modify the meals two nights in a row at restaurants, so that was a wonderful bonus! On Christmas Eve I made a make-your-own lasagna bar, so my meal was pretty well on plan for that too. Yesterday dinner was way off what I planned. But, I enjoyed myself without eating too much (in terms of quantity) and mindfully enjoyed the small bites that I too of off-plan foods. For the rest of the visit duration, I did great and stuck with my food plan. Last night though, when we started to clean-up dinner, the dishwasher suddenly started pouring out water, which spread to the subfloor and then on to the basement. We are lucky that we had our dear old St. Bernard down there, as it was her barking that alerted us to the problem of the water submitting to the will of gravity. The next several hours were spent dumping trash cans on the floor, removing ceiling tiles, and emptying our makeshift buckets. At least it waited until after an amazing dinner prepared by mom (with help). Overall, a really nice visit, although I am worried about the health and well-being of both my mom and step-dad. So, I will be praying a bit extra for them right now.

BeverlyJoy, how was focusing on the company not the food for you? That is a great lesson for you!

BigChiefDavid, awesome job on being mindful!

BillBlueEyes, great job on Christmas Eve and for still staying in the OK range on Christmas.

GardenerJoy, great job on by-passing the stuffing!

Lexxis, hope your plan to get rid of the no-good-for-yous was successful and that no more plan-sabatours were delivered to work for you today!

MaryAnn, interesting to learn about where our food comes from. Hope you have been more able to turn off your brain.

NationalParker, the foot of snow at home is pretty awful. We were supposed to go to dinner tonight with family in Indianapolis and decided to not drive the one hour there for fear we would not make it back home tonight to care for pup. Preparing to travel can be difficult. Hang in there. Maybe as you relax you can get back to those good habits you have developed.

NatureGirl, great job asking for family help on the cookies. I have had to ask my husband to stop talking about cookies, pie, etc. when he kept talking about them and having them and now eating them again. Grrrr! Hope travel is safe for you.

OnebyOne, I hope you are able to get back on your plan soon!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #191  

S/C/G: 250/233.5/180

Height: Six feet, one inch

Default Happy Holidays

Hey Coaches and Fellow Becksters,

Well, I stumbled a bit during the past couple of days. I've made some big changes in my life in the past year, so although I wish I hadn't eaten a bunch of cookies and desserts on Christmas Eve night and Christmas night, I still feel pretty damn good. Plus, I managed to eat planned meals during the day. I want this to work, and I refuse to let a small fall become a monumental failure.

I'm reviewing the next lesson in the book this evening; I ate well today and I did a lot of spontaneous exercise thanks to my two kids. Credit, credit, credit.

My wife gave me an unlimited pass for a month's worth of yoga classes for Christmas, and I'm hoping to start soon.

Until that time...
Old 12-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #192  
Green Tomatoes

I never managed to write a plan today, but ate as if I had one -- credit for that. More credit for just now writing a plan for tomorrow. If I'm going to post at night, apparently I also need to write my plan at night. The two seem to go hand-in-hand for me.

WI: -0.2 kgs, Exercise: +25 1100/1400 minutes for December, Food: NA%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 12-27-2012, 01:20 AM   #193  

Credits today: healthy lunch eaten sitting down even though we were anxious to get on the road; one glass of wine at dinner; no bread; one small serving of veggie lasagna; giant serving of salad; no desserts; nuts eaten one at a time followed by conversation, followed by one more nut.
Debits: it was a pretty big (possibly refillable) glass of wine; too much dressing on the salad (pre=dressed); no walk--it got lost in travel time.
Considering what this dinner has looked like for me in past years, excellent job!
Tomorrow: standard oatmeal breakfast; drip coffee with 1 t of 1/2 & 1/2; healthy lunch salad from Trader Joe's; pineapple; leftover yams & brussell sprout salad for dinner with some type of healthy protein.
Survived without the cookies today, and turned down two homemade desserts tonight--good for me!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:14 AM   #194  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies First visit to rehab was neat. My guy showed me that my healing was complete by carefully pressing along the break with no pain. It's a simple healing process. I had reviewed the fall with my DS who had been walking down the stairs behind me, and realized that I had fallen from the third step where the stairs take a sharp left turn. My boot had slipped off the small corner of the triangular tread and I went down from the height of two steps. That makes me feel better since I had just assumed that I'd only gone down from one step and breaking a leg from a one step fall seemed a bit fragile. Specifically, I had a lateral malleolus fracture the malleolus is the knob at the end of the fibula. I have three exercises to do twice daily. I did them yesterday, CREDIT moi. I'll get full ROM (Range of Motion) back. Some of my "limp" is caused by a tight calf muscle. Apparently it isn't fond of being in a cast for six weeks.

Food was good enough, CREDIT moi. Meals were 100% - I even left most of the roasted squash on my plate at dinner. CREDIT moi, since I'm a plate cleaner. But the bowl of tree nuts from the stockings sits on the kitchen counter and I'll crack those babies one by one until they're gone. Methinks the energy required to dig into a Brazil Nut offsets the calories consumed. Pass that on. You read it on the Internet, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) This is where I dream to be, "but ate as if I had one."

Debbie (Lexxiss) Wise move getting all that food at work out the door - Kudos for smart thinking.

Nature Girl Kudos for making it out of the house into the snow. You made me google 'Julekake' and I'm glad there's none around to tempt me. Hope your trip and your walk all panned out. Maybe I can adopt this, "nuts eaten one at a time followed by conversation, followed by one more nut."

FutureFitChick That's a new one for me, "make-your-own lasagna bar" - sounds fun. It's really difficult to watch the health of those we love - with nothing we can do about it. Hope you have a successful recovery from that water disaster.

maryann - Pretty amazing to be able to ditch the thought, "If I was really grateful then I would be happy." We burden ourselves with so many shoulds. When I become Czar I plan to remove should from the language.

BigchiefDavid This seems to me to be the BIG secret of success, "I refuse to let a small fall become a monumental failure." Kudos for seeing that. Can't wait to hear about your Yoga journey.

nationalparker Waving back toward Florida. That was a looong drive - hope your dog is a traveler. Kudos for making a plan to recover in place instead of waiting until you return home.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2
What Really Makes You Eat

How Thoughts can Sabotage Your Diet

Sabotaging thoughts make dieting more difficult in many ways:

...Sabotaging thoughts encourage you to eat. You'll probably notice that you have a number of "permission-giving" thoughts that allow you to rationalize what you eat. These thoughts often start with the phrase, I know I shouldn't eat this, but it's okay because .... They end with any number of excuses, such as, I had a bad day ... This is a celebration ... It will just go to waste ... I really want it ... It won't matter. And so on, and so on, and so on.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 27.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #195  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday I stuck to my plan even refusing a bite of DH's yummy lunch when he and mom showed at the restaurant unexpected. It was nice to visit with them while I worked. We ate dinner early and I had a small snack later after watching DH consume large quantities of cookies and chips. Spontaneous exercise was whooping and jumping up and down as our Nuggets beat the Lakers. I weighed this morning and was happy to see the number tick down again-post holiday.

BBE, neat to finally have a better understanding of where you're at in your recovery and kudos for an OP day.
Closed Thread