Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #166  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Coaches.... yesterday went OK... I only had one piece of pizza and a bite of chocolate pie.

Today, for dinner, was Chinese food. I took small tastes of a few things. I am sure it's not perfect, but, better than in the past.

I rocked our little GD (8 months old) for a few hours. She doesn't feel well. She's a good cuddler.

We gave everyone their gifts... it was fun to have a chance to see the kids play with the toys before we leave tomorrow. My kindnergardener GS and I wrote some stories. His words that I wrote down... and then he illustrated them. Very joyful.

I hope you are all doing well. Gotta go.

I'll check in again soon. Tomorrow (Sunday) we will travel again to be with DH's sister and our niece.

DH's and GS went sledding today... fun for both. DH is ready to go to sleep soon. LOL.

Take care now.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 12-22-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #167  
persist

S/C/G: 296/276/159

Height: 5' 6"

Talking new

Coaches

I am about to tuck myself into our new queen size bed. *credit for cleaning out the bedroom, rearranging furniture, disassembling and temporarily stashing the old double bed (was that mattress ever wonky!) and then moving the new bed into lace and dashing out to buy a new mattress cover and mattess pad. I also tracked down the last steel bed frame in the province(!) yesterday. It is great and I can tell it will serve us for years. It accommodates a queen or king size mattress. It eliminates the need for a box spring which is awesome, and cheaper. I alos got a bag of donatables together for the pickup tomorrow morning by the diabetes society and I managed to fit and transport all three of my crafting drawers to my studio today--a task I'd been trying to get to all week. Also, another problem is solved becasue the boxes my new steel bed frame came in (2 of them) are the exact right size to put the loose canvases I have in my studio into so they can be stored outside my studio up on a shelf that my studio landlord has offered to me for that puroose.

Things are going well. However, I tucked into a box of chocolates last night! A surprise gift left for us by our landlord on our doorknob. In addition, DH borugt me home a BIG slab of cake and I thought it was the reg. leftovers ye brings me when I looked to see what was in the box and I just sat down and had it for pre-breakfast. I didn't want to aply any tactics to stay away from the treats today. I am ok with it. I do need to track it as I haven't yet but will.

And with that I will go do that because I *really* want to get into that new bed!

Bye!
Old 12-23-2012, 06:36 AM   #168  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday: Festivus - for the rest of us

Diet Coaches/Buddies Good enough eating at a big Christmas party last night: Minimal appetizers, even though one was 'healthy' since it contained artichokes (along with 90% cheeses), exactly one plate of mostly veggies, and only fruit for dessert, CREDIT moi. Until I offered to take my DD's dessert plate back to the kitchen and she hadn't finished a to-die-for chocolate cookie which I then did. Ouch! Two issues: One, how can someone not finish a cookie? It's just unnatural, but she's been that way all her life. And second, why do I still step forward to finish what's on my DD's plate? You'd think that thirty years of doing this would be enough, or that twelve years after she's left home would have cured me, LOL.

Minimal exercise, consisting mostly of walking around my house trying not to limp. I feel like a wimp for recovering slowly. I talked to a guy last night who is doing crossfit; he put on 15 pounds of muscle in the last nine months. Says it's great. It does help that he's thirty years old, LOL.

onebyone Good morning to she who slept on a new queen sized mattress. Your progress to Arrange your Environment is inspiring.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Some days defy planning - yay for a full life.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Kudos for coming back per, "resistance skills successfully for most of the rest of the day" - instead of entertaining that slippery sabotaging thought that all is off plan anyway. Sounds like a neat place where customers bring gifts of appreciation.

Beverlyjoy Such fun to write a book with your DGS. Kudos for surviving a Chinese dinner "better than in the past."

maryann - Yay for a DS who will read Tolkien's 320 page book to get to see the Hobbit movie. Kudos for making a plan that motivates you to keep within the size of your current clothes. [The bag is labeled "Trader Joe's California Premium Walnut Halves" - hope that doesn't just mean 'California-style.']

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2
What Really Makes You Eat

The Thought Comes First

The thoughts that lead you to act in unhelpful ways are sabotaging thoughts. The thoughts that lead you to act in more productive ways are helpful thoughts.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 26.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #169  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Coaches!

BBE, on the one hand it is perplexing when I think about finishing someone else's last bite...don't understand why they left it anyway....then I accept the reality of my food addiction and understand not everyone else has "that". Kudos for a good day otherwise.

Me, weighed this morning and the scale was down and as I tried to think that one out I gave myself credit for getting right back on track...not waiting until "tomorrow" and many other things that BDS teaches me. Dinner was OP last night and I DID remind myself today that I must have run at least 7 miles at the restaurant yesterday since my pedometer has recorded 4-1/2 on an average one.
Gratitude: reminding myself I used to have a hard time walking up the flight of stairs in my home.

Today...mindful...and best of all I have a food plan written.credit.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #170  

S/C/G: 173/166/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Practiced my resistance muscles yesterday. I allowed myself to feel hunger and waited until I was at a Christmas dinner to eat. Congrats. I need to practice more of that. The Hobbit was magical - oh the movie was good, too, but watching DS face as the book characters came to life was thrilling. Every twenty or so minutes he would turn to me and say "This is terrific!" Credit for not not digging into a box of popcorn and missing his expressions.

DH and DS are down at the ranch with family. They are off to a King's game tonite which means I have the whole day to myself. Credit for reminding myself I am not lazy just relaxing. Already this morning I have started chicken stock with leftover chicken, cleaned out the veggie drawer, cut up old bread to toast for crumbs and started a load of laundry. My counselor said once that I live my life with adrenaline exhaustion because of the anxiety I feel. I am doing everyone a favor when I allow myself to putter. This pm I will wrap Santa gifts and treadmill for 30 minutes. Food is logged into fitnesspal. My gift to myself today is to eat ONLY what is logged. Bliss to be in the quiet.

BBE: The world does seem magical for thirty-year olds who can lift weights and leave cookies and yet I know I am happier today than I was then. Youth, as they say, is wasted on the youth.
Lexxiss: Congrats on tracking exercise with a pedometer and just tracking in general.
Beverleyjoy:I can't think of a better way to celebrate the season than holding a baby for a few hours and and falling into bed after a day of sledding. Congrats for checking in.

Last edited by maryann; 12-23-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #171  
persist

S/C/G: 296/276/159

Height: 5' 6"

Post and the continuing story

Coaches

I keep forgetting to weigh-in. Well, not exactly true. I forget, then remember then don't want to, so I don't. Tomorrow I will weigh in.

I just spent hours baking these cookies my sister old me were easy. They took as long as it takes to make bread from scratch--like 3 hours+-because the dough has to sit in the fridge. What fussy baking. They taste good but not worth the trouble and they are all being given away so I don't think they'll become part of my reg xmas baking, which is minimal as it is.

Looking forward to xmas being over. It won't be a big food day. It's been ok so far but not perfect and could be better. I am just holding fast and I am ok with that.

Not much else to say. We both love our new bed. It feels so much biger. Caesar the cat even had more room to stretch out and DH said I didn't elbow him last night. I miss the memory foam but am in no rush to replace it just yet.

G'night.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #172  

S/C/G: 250/233.5/180

Height: Six feet, one inch

Default Good Evening!

Hey Coaches and Becksters,

I'm relieved to find that cravings and disappointments don't dominate my thinking at social events like today's football game. I sit down, eat mindfully (which I have to say has been fantastic--really tasting the food and savoring the flavors), and I don't worry about what I can't have. I weigh in tomorrow and regardless of what the scale says, I'm proud of what I've been doing (credits galore), and I'm enjoying myself.

Thanks to all of you out there. It's great to have others on the same journey and to have trailblazers who have gone before and are now trail guides.

BTW, I'm not the sharpest blade in the cutting block--more serrated than most--and I have to admit something. For a little while, I thought it was strange that so many of you were married to men named DH.

Until that time...
Old 12-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #173  
Green Tomatoes

I guess I'll just quit pretending that I post in the morning and be a night poster. I've done both. Either works. Daily seems to be the important part for me.

Another day that went wonky, but I had a plan. Everything ended up shifted late so I skipped a snack. I'm calling it 100% on plan.

WI: -0.5 kgs, Exercise: +55 1030/1400 minutes for December, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

LOL with BigchiefDavid and all of our DHs.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #174  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Happy Christmas Eve day...I will be working. I'm amidst a bit of insomnia so thought I'd check in early since I'm going to try to get a couple more hours of rest.

I haven't weighed yet but will. I will have my morning smoothie and it will be too busy to eat at work. I have a written plan for an early dinner.

I sat and read from the green Beck book yesterday. I am starting the process of rereading as I try and plan my next step with weightloss. I'm grateful to have maintained my losses but recognize that if I want to lose more I'm going to need to rehone some dieting skills and revisit some stricter behaviors. Something inside me says it is time....almost...holidays be over.

BigChiefDavid, lol...there are some threads around here that interpret all the abbreviations. I have no kids but often refer to my DH's DD ..

Have a great day everyone!
Old 12-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #175  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Christmas Eve

Diet Coaches/Buddies I acted like a person with an eating plan, CREDIT moi. Spent an hour chatting with friends with coffee near a table laden with homemade cranberry nut cake and other seasonal goodies. I just told myself that there would be Christmas goodies again. The important part was that I didn't start - didn't nibble a broken off crumb. I'm able to plan a small piece of something quite well. But if I grab something unplanned, the hand-mouth just keeps popping it in.

Deliberately took a mile walk, CREDIT moi. I'm still annoyed that that's my limit right now, even though I'm grateful that I'm healing so rapidly and so easily. Oh, well.

onebyone Yay for enjoying your new bed - with Kudos for all the effort you put out to make that happen.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Neat to have a plan despite the drama, "Another day that went wonky, but I had a plan."

Debbie (Lexxiss) Yay for using insomnia to finish a project. I'm inspired that you've actually gathered all those photos.

maryann - Neat to think of it as a gift, "My gift to myself today is to eat ONLY what is logged." Love the visual of your DS enjoying the Hobbit.

BigchiefDavid LOL at all the DH's around here. (A partial list of frequent 3FC acronyms is here: 3FC Acronyms.) Yay for "don't worry about what I can't have."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2

The Thought Comes First

Here is how Jim's thoughts influenced his eating behavior. Before I started working with him, Jim often frequented an Italian restaurant that served really great bread. Even though he was trying to diet, he would invariably have such thoughts as, That bread smells so good ... I know I shouldn't eat it, but I just can't resist. So, of course, he would end up eating a piece. Then he would have the thought, I've blown it ... Oh, well, I might as well start again tomorrow. And he would overeat the rest of the meal.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 27.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #176  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

HI becksters/coaches/friends - we are now at SIL's house and had safe travels getting here. Grateful. I didn't bake this year... Credit. I've eaten only a small percentage the cookies as usual, really only 6 or so in the last three days. Credit.

Tonight is Chinese Food again. Do you see a pattern in my family?? LOL. My niece will have a gang of friends here for supper. It will be fun. Am planning to take little tastes and stick with lots of veggies and steamed dumplings.

Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas Eve and Christmas morning. It's important for we food folks to remember to concentrate on the company more than the food.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #177  

S/C/G: 173/166/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

It is a rare thing to say these days but I was 100% OP yesterday - a great xmas gift. Still a pound above ticker but I have already exercised and planned my food. My goal is two straight days of nothing but what is on the food plan.

Nice evening planned - quiet with the boys, homemade sloppy Joes with homemade rolls, sweet potato smoothies, then church. Sometimes in there DS has to write his wish list to Santa. I have planned a half of a giant cookie as an evening treat.

Merry Christmas, All.

Last edited by maryann; 12-24-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #178  
Green Tomatoes

Christmas Eve supper:
  • local, pasture-raised Cornish hen smoked on the grill (I ate the drumstick, thigh, and wing, leaving the breast for another day)
  • sweet potato soup
  • roasted Brussels sprouts sauteed in a mustard-ginger vinaigrette

So good!

Tomorrow's challenge is a family potluck and awkward meal and travel times. I wrote a plan that completely accounts for all the strangeness in the schedule. It's not pretty, but it's also not wishful thinking. Following my plan will help me be at ease for the best part of the day -- visiting with the niece and nephews!

WI: +0.05 kgs, Exercise: +25 1055/1400 minutes for December, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 12-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #179  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Merry Christmas Everyone!
Old 12-25-2012, 05:01 AM   #180  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Christmas Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies Merry Christmas to all who celebrate.

We had our big Christmas meal last night that featured a standing rib roast - more meat at the table than needed by an army as well as loads of different veggies and a whopping good salad. I did good enough, CREDIT moi by ignoring seconds of the roast and having multiple bowls of salad as we sat while the young adults had seconds and thirds. I had requested that fruit be available for when the tart was served for dessert; so I had that, CREDIT moi. It's easier to resist a tempting dessert by planning in advance to have something that appeals. As yummy as that tart looked last night, I don't regret skipping it - such will appear again in my life.

Amazon delivered three packages on Christmas Eve to complete my shopping. That was closer than I needed, LOL. The allure of last minute shopping on line calls my name. Got everything wrapped and under the tree in time to enjoy our two adult kids and their SO's. I'm sitting next to the tree enjoying the LED lights in the dark. I'm up so early that I'll have time to take a nap before Christmas morning activities start. My remaining job is to fill the Christmas stockings before everyone else gets up. It's a lovely, lovely time.

Joy (gardenerjoy) I could go for "roasted Brussels sprouts sauteed in a mustard-ginger vinaigrette." Love the notion of a plan that's "not pretty, but it's also not wishful thinking."

Beverlyjoy Kudos for keeping the cookies under control. Thanks for the reminder, "remember to concentrate on the company more than the food."

maryann - Yay for serious planning over Christmas - especially with a planned half cookie for a treat.

Tazzy - And Merry Christmas to you. Hope the predicted snow in the Rockies is a pleasure instead of a burden.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2

The Thought Comes First

A few weeks after we began working together, Jim had plans to go to the same restaurant. But this time, he was prepared to answer his sabotaging thoughts. Before he went, he wrote and read a card that said:
Remember, the bread will be tempting, but I can
resist it. It's more important to me to lose weight.
If I eat the bread, I'll get momentary pleasure, but
afterwards I'll feel worse.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 27.
Closed Thread