3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – October 2012 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/267274-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-october-2012-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

HaleyJu 10-15-2012 10:11 PM

CREDIT!!.... For looking at decadent recipes on Pinterest and not bolting to the kitchen to find something sweet. I should never go there. I'm going to bed so that I don't go make an individual coffee cake in a coffee cup.

BillBlueEyes 10-16-2012 06:31 AM

Tuesday - Dictionary Day honors Noah Webster's birthday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Food was 100% on plan, CREDIT moi, perhaps remaining moved by Sunday's lecture by the Dalai Lama. That included dinner out with DW. We chose the local Japanese Sushi restaurant where we had sufficient food, but not stuffed and maybe not even full. It felt like enough. I was worried that I'd want to indulge in something extra once we walked home but the ol' 30 minutes passed and my mind was onto something else. Sheer joy watching sushi chefs slicing fish and avocados.

Did gym, CREDIT moi, with the early morning crowd where the aura is distinctly gotta-get-outta-here rushed. I tried to concentrate on my hated lunges since I've noticed that it's easy to get sloppy and miss much of the benefit. A walk to Trader Joe's for some raisins meant walking past their FREE sample station. So, on the way, I planned to skip the sample regardless of what it was. With my head on straight, it was easy to walk around its location and reduce the temptation. They had peaches (USA) for 69 cents per pound, which was wonderful because my favorite supermarket is selling them for $2.89 per pound.

onebyone – Yep, Kudos indeed for lining up your studio to give you space in your life to deal with what's next - including a landlord with an exaggerated interest in your life. Interesting thought to see "Oh, Well" as a compassionate response.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for recognizing the need both for planning and for baby steps. It's a challenge for me to acknowledge the small things that I need to do to stay the path. (Am I the only person on earth who still uses a hard copy Webster's Dictionary for the sheer joy of it?)

Beverlyjoy – Happy Registered Dietitian Day. Can't wait to hear about the "magic wand."

maryann - Sending supportive thoughts for the uber pain of separation - despite the joy at sending your DS forth. Yep, I'm in need of remembering my Beck basics also.

HaleyJu - Goodbye blip. Great to eliminate the "4:30 snack monster" - Ouch for the cost of working so late. Kudos for indulging in Pinterest recipes yet avoiding cooking them.

Readers -
Quote:

chapter 8 Stage 5 The Motivation-for-Life Plan

Daily Motivation Plan

each morning
Do the following each morning, before you eat breakfast:
. . . Also look for new advantages (although sometimes it's difficult to identify them because you have made gradual changes that you now may take for granted). For example, as we were problem-solving how Evelyn could find time to shop for groceries, I asked her, "I remember, when we first started working together, you told me you felt self-conscious at the supermarket because you thought people were looking in your cart and mentally criticizing you. Do you still feel like that?" Evelyn smiled and said, "No, never. I don't even think about it." I asked Evelyn to add that item to her Advantages Deck: "I feel fine at the grocery store, no matter what I put in my cart." Be on the lookout for experiences like this so you can add them to your deck.

. . . Continue to add to you Advantages Deck for a very long time.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 189.

Koala 10-16-2012 06:51 AM

Hello Beck Trekkers!

Yesterday and today have been pretty reasonable all told – as usual I read and attempted to follow through on the activities in the next chapter of Beck, revisited my reasons for wanting to lose weight, my breakfast and lunch were on plan, I went for my lunchtime walk, tonight’s dinner was on plan, but ... I did have a slip up … I had an impromptu dinner invite to my neighbours’ last night where I had some roast potato, a bit high in carbs for my eating plan. However, I resisted a glass of wine and dessert, which was a valiant attempt to not stray too far off track [credit].

HaleyJu – wa-hay, way to go not giving in to temptation. I’ve never heard of individual coffee cake in a coffee cup thank goodness – sounds dangereuse! Thank you and credit for posting the Beck daily support thoughts – they provide food for thought (pun intended ;) )

Onebyone – sympathies at the prospect of moving house, but it sounds like you have some really good strategies to get through it. Your buddy’s saying “you either face your stuff or stuff your face” is so pithy – it has become my mantra :cool:

Beverlyjoy – hope all goes well at the dietician appointment – I reckon the more knowledge, the more skills, the more strategies, the better.

Maryann – sorry to read of your distress, but good that you put on your brave face when farewelling your son. Well done on not dropping your bundle completely and doing what you can to follow Beck.

Gardenerjoy – welcome back from the weeds! LOL at railing against the laws of physics – I always think the correlation between resistance and weightloss offends some law of natural justice :D

BillBlueEyes – what a wonderful day – as if the Dalai Lama wasn’t enough, to also have your favourite music and that virtuous feeling of staying on plan with your eating – long may it continue! I just noticed your new post - Happy Dictionary Day! Being an ex-librarian I have a passion for reference books - at home I have the large hard copy version of the Macquarie Dictionary (the Aussie gold plate standard dictionary) and the Macquarie online at work. :)

Tazzy – I am reeling from the whirlwind that is your life – I hope walking Dexter is your time to chillax as you await 17 Dec!

Here's to a day of credits for each of us! :carrot:

Lexxiss 10-16-2012 08:33 AM

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday, I once again ate only my orange and muffin at work. credit. After forgetting my lunch on Saturday, I packed both days yesterday so my lunch awaits my arrival at work today. credit. I didn't weigh this morning and squelched the sabotaging thought that I just wouldn't eat my lunch then weigh when I got home. Lunch is there it's important to eat it.

I've been very busy. Yesterday I went to the PO to p/u items that had stacked up while we were gone last week. I was waiting for some great anti inflammatory lotion. There were 3 boxes...lotion and 2 care packages from my brother-a gently used laptop, IPad and IPhone. Wow. I'm touched both by his generosity and his follow-through. This was just briefly mentioned when he was here two weeks ago.

MaryAnn, I just wanted to mention...re your being "horrified" at your proofreading. Yes, there is a time for proofreading but I wanted to let you know I never caught it...I read it just as it was supposed to be. My point...sometimes it matters and sometimes it doesn't. Let go of the ones that "don't". :hug:

Gotta run--work calls!

spanky 10-16-2012 08:49 AM

A Day Off!

Still here, still Beckking!

My weigh-in Sunday shows me a pound down for last week and I got to put a dot on The Graph. Having a goal of a mere pound per week is slow, but I don't get so disappointed at weigh-in and I will get there! CREDIT

Sunday I found it hard to stay on plan. Our Dominican group went out to breakfast before our monthly meeting and I did have a plan for ordering according to my diet. Problem was, when the food finally came, it was too unappetizing to eat and there was no time to re-order. I 'borrowed' a half slice of toast to get through the day until 4pm. By then I was frantic and ended up bolting twice my daily carbs when I got home again.

That was the one time I didn't have a "safe" Zone bar on me! It sort of annoys me that I couldn't count on the restaurant when I ordered food right for me instead of all the stacks of pancakes around me. Lesson learned--never again will I venture forth without emergency rations!

Also, I should review the fact it seldom kills anyone in this rich country to miss a meal!

So today I have a day off--spending part of it at the lake painitng and puttting up storm windows. A few blissful hours of solitude [ie no crabby kindergartners] at the lake. Yes!

gardenerjoy 10-16-2012 01:44 PM

Three credits for doing the three things I committed to yesterday: check in with coaches, exercise, and evening routine.

It's nearly 1pm here and so far I've backed up my computer, which was engaging in glitchy behaviors. That wasn't on the list. I've done nothing that was on the list. Sigh. This is a big part of the problem I've been having lately. I get to a point in the day where it's obvious that I'm not going to accomplish what I intended and my inclination is to eat over that.

So, I better stick with the three things I committed to yesterday and hope that tomorrow will be a better day for building on that foundation: checking in with my coaches (DONE and CREDIT! and thanks y'all), exercise, and evening routine.

BillBlueEyes: I still use my print dictionary -- the one I got when I went away to college because it feels good in my hands and because I learn more. The problem with targeted searches is that you don't get to learn about the words around the word you looked up. It's hard to convince young people of the value of serendipity over convenience, though.

HaleyJu 10-16-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

October 16, 2012 - Tuesday Reality Check
If you think, “I’ve been good all day so I can eat this [extra food] now,” remind yourself, “Just because I’ve been good all day DOESN'T mean I can eat extra now. It’s the ‘extra’ that will stop me from losing weight.”
Oh Boy, Can I relate to this.......... can't tell you how many times I've gotten to the end of the day and decided that I could still eat a few more calories. Let's hope that I can overcome those desires today.

TeachMe 10-16-2012 01:58 PM

Feeling okay, and OP, but I wonder why I still wake up each morning and have to battle the thought that I can't actually do this. I get over it, mostly, and it is doubly strange to me because I am almost always OP for the first half of the day. I would love to wake up and think 'Fantastic! Another day OP!'

Beverlyjoy--hope all went well with the dietician. I've seen one twice here in England. After form filling and discussion about my life the end result was the recommendation that I eat less butter and walk more. Ya think?

I was looking through my recipe book and came across a recipe my Grandma had cut out of the newspaper. The recipe won the 1965 National Sandwich Idea Contest, and the winning entry came from a Sister Mary Amelia, Chief Dietician at St Agnes Hospital in Baltimore. It is for French Toasted Shrimp Sandwiches and includes 1lb shrimp, 18 slices crispy bacon, 3 cups mayonnaise, 12 slices bread, 1/2 c cream cheese and the fixin's for French toast! Man those days are well and truly gone in more ways than one!

Beverlyjoy 10-16-2012 06:28 PM

The dietician was helpful. The first thing she asked was for me to tell my food story/history to her - which I did. (It's been a long and winding road for me... and as we all have traveled, too)

I said I was feeling like I could never get this food stuff under control.She said that it's never too late and never impossible.

She wants me to eat 1400-1500 calories a day. NO less than 1200. That sounds OK. She said I wasn't eating enough fruit - whole grains. She said I should only lose 1/2 to 1 pound a week. Doesn't sound like enough to me. But.. I just need to get back on track with healthy food.

She helped me arrange my daily food choices in a healthier way. Her thinking was that I was not eating enough food during the day... especially at breakfast. This is setting myself up for being anxious about when to eat and what to eat... also, maybe one reason I was overeating in the evening. Her theory is to eat every few hours. Healthy proteins, healthy carbs, healthy dairy etc. and lots of veggies. We decided that I am very knowledgable about healthy foods and could probably teach a class in nutrition. This is probably true. But, I just can't live in a sane manner with food very it easily.

She thought that my exchange way of keeping track of foods was a good idea. She changed a few things about how amounts are counted.

I told her that it's been 50 of my 60 years I've had to deal with an unhealthy realationship with food. I am weary of dealing with it all. Then, she said one thing that really made me stop and think. That obesity is a disease. ( like diabetes, gallstones, chrones disease, chronic headaches, a bad rash etc) True, obesity is a diagnosis. One of the cures/medicines/healing parts of obesity is food. The right food will help to cure the obesity - and all the problems that go with it. (unhealthy labwork, difficulty exericising, etc) That eating healthfully is just like a regimen that a person with a different diagnosis would have to do to get well. She said.. that if a person breaks their arm there are certain things to be done to get better. It's the same as obesity. Of course, I know that - but, never looked at it quite from that perspective.

She was intrigued with Dr. Beck's Diet Solution book and how it helps give a person a real structured way to get through the hard/challenging times with food. She had heard of it now wants to check it out. It's always been helpful to me when I have been willing to use it. Lately, not at all.

I came home with lots of information and a food diary to keep. I kind of do keep track now, anyway - when I am on track. I'll go back and see her in a month.

I was hoping for a 'magic wand' - but, of course, that's in one of my fairytales. She's not a psychologist and can only help set up my food in a healthy way for me to eat during the day.

I think what she suggests is a little bit of a different approach with food.. so I'll move forward and plan my food for a healthy day. I will try again.

She said I could make a list of reasons... a long list or short list of reasons why I need to eat my healthfully. (like Dr. Beck) After each reason... she said to ask myself 'why' - to extend that thinking, if possible. She said it's OK to have 2 reasons or 102 reasons - whatever feels right.

She is very glad I have friends and sites on the internet to get support. Support is essential and helpful. But, we know that, don't we?!

billbe- no magic wand, but helpful, I think. Sometimes I think I just need a new 'starting line' from which to move forward. I felt like I was floundering. I am, at least, feeling more hopeful.
koala - I think you are right...the more knowledge the better.
teachme - I agree that the dietician didn't tell me a whole lot more than I really knew. However, it is fresh start.

maryblu 10-16-2012 06:56 PM

Hello, former Beckmates

Well, gee...I am very, very pleased, former Beckmates. I have not checked into the 3fc site since Sept. 30 of 2011. Good thing I *had written down my password and actually was able to *find it. Was betting that our faithful BillBE would have kept the Beck train rolling, but imagine my pleasure and surprise to see so many other familiar Beckmates..Gardenerjoy, BeverlyJoy, Onebyone. ...so pleased to see you all.

Just a quick apology for disappearing on you all, and a shout out that I am not dead! Not even maimed. I just lost the desire to post/keep up posting..probably felt I did not have much to contribute. Just wanted to say hi.

Am maintaining my ideal weight..between 125 and 130. Yes, that is quite low for someone 5'7", but it is best for me. I am very pleased. Still skinny fat; still that pesky weak core problem, but am not finding difficulty maintaining this weight.

Find myself needing the CBT for other areas of my life, and actually finding it much more of a challenge than using the Beck Diet Solution for wt. ..there probably was point in my life where I never would have believed there are actually harder things to control than my weight, but at this ripe old age, here I am!

Good to see you guys..rock on.

HaleyJu 10-16-2012 08:16 PM

In addition to the Beck Daily suggestions they occasionally send out a newsletter to those that have subscribed. Today's newsletter is ALL ABOUT Halloween. :witch::bat: I have to admit that I am glad that we don't have little kids at home. With Halloween on Wednesday night this year, we likely won't have many trick or treaters either. I will have to work on some seriousl resistance mucle training to avoid chocolate leftovers.

Quote:

In previous newsletter articles and blog posts, we've detailed some strategies that make it much easier to stay in control during holidays and special events, such as reading an Advantages List and Response Cards every day, following a plan, and deciding in advance when to have treats. In this article, we'll focus on some different, Halloween-specific strategies that will help you stick to your plan this October 31st and the days surrounding it.

Remember: Candy is available year-round! Dieters tend to load up and eat lots of candy on Halloween, saying to themselves, "Well, it only occurs once a year." That's true, but Halloween is once a year, every year, and candy is available every day of the year. Drug stores and supermarkets sell fun-sized candy bars year-round, so you don't need to load up now. You can buy candy any time.

Don't buy candy until you need it. This may seem like an obvious piece of advice, but it's an important one. Many people buy Halloween candy a few weeks in advance, perhaps rationalizing that "it will be good to have that task over with," "I won't have to worry about stores running out," and "I can get the candy on sale." And then what usually happens? They end up eating some (or all) of it before the big day. Even when dieters are able to wait to break into the candy until Halloween itself, it can be a daily struggle to resist. There is a very simple solution to this problem: Don't purchase candy in advance. Even if it adds a small amount of cost or an additional chore on your already busy October 31st, isn't it worth not having to worry about giving in and expending the mental energy to resist until it's time?

Buy candy that you don't like so much in bulk and just a single serving of your favorite candy. You'll obviously have the most trouble resisting your favorite candy, so buy candy in bulk that you don't enjoy as much-you'll have an easier time resisting it, and when Halloween is over, it will probably be easier for you to throw away the leftovers, give them away, or donate them. You can and should buy a single-serving of the candy you like the most. This way, you'll be able to savor your favorite candy without worrying about having to stop yourself from going back for more.

Remember, the Halloween experience lasts for longer than one day. Even though the holiday itself is just a day, it is highly likely that you will come in contact with Halloween treats on the days leading up to and following October 31st. Be on the lookout for the common sabotaging thought, "I'm going to eat a lot of extra candy on Halloween, but it's okay because it's only one day." This thought does not take into account the candy that you come in contact with before Halloween, the candy you might have left over, the candy in your office kitchen, at your friends' homes, and at the parties and events you attend, before and after October 31st. If you're making a plan for Halloween, it's important to factor in the days before and after, too.

Get rid of left overs! If extra candy is in your house, you're likely to be tempted to eat it at some point. If you want to avoid having to resist leftovers, there are plenty of ways to get rid of them. Give them away, donate them, bring them in to work, or simply throw them away. If you have the sabotaging thought, "I can't throw the candy away because it would be a waste of money," remind yourself, "Either way the money is already gone. Eating the candy won't bring it back." One way or another, if you can limit your amount of exposure to leftover candy, you'll make it so much easier on yourself. And if your kids go trick-or-treating, it's also a good idea to immediately get rid of the candy they don't like or can't eat. If you keep it around, you may end up eating it or struggling to resist it. Remember, even though it may cost you a bit, in the long-run, you'll probably end up saving yourself thousands of calories by getting rid of extra Halloween candy and instead buying yourself a single serving of your favorite candy that you've planned to eat. This will help guarantee that you enjoy your favorite treat, when you really want it, and without the guilt.

BillBlueEyes 10-17-2012 04:32 AM

Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Another day 100% on the eating plan, CREDIT moi; I need a bunch of these now to counter my recent excursions with tree nuts. The thought that a little bowl of something would make me feel better came up from time to time. I reminded myself that we're going to a wedding in a month where pictures will be taken and shown within the family for the rest of my life. Vanity is such a strong motivator.

My walk, CREDIT moi, took me past a new falafal place with a toppings bar. I'm psyched to go back for dinner at next opportunity. I, of course, want to serve myself all of the toppings, LOL, which would make one unwieldy pita with muddled taste. This moderation stuff sometimes eludes me.

maryblu"Rock on" indeed. Yep, the Beck train keeps on rolling. Such a joy to hear that you're thriving even as you chase the other issues in your life. Kudos for being able to move forward without being stymied that your weight is the real problem that must be conquered first before anything else can happen. Hope you have time to get out on your lake while the water is open.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – When I notice that I'm not going to accomplish my planned activities, I, too, want to eat my disappointment. Hope you find a solution to that and publish it. [Yep, it's the serendipity that appeals to me - particularly serendipity that isn't controlled by advertisers as in google searches.]

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for a brother with a memory. Neat to stock your lunch at work in advance - like an arctic explorer leaving food caches along the route before her journey.

Beverlyjoy – Interesting perspective, "That obesity is a disease." It does open the option to see your eating plan as the prescribed recovery plan, just like a broken arm. Kudos for taking that step to see her.

spanky - Kudos for having a doable goal for each weeks loss. Yep, slow and steady wins in this game. Kinda amazing that a restaurant served food too unappetizing to eat. Kudos again for just not eating it. Your lake place does sound like bliss.

TeachMe - Good luck wrestling down those negative morning thoughts, with Kudos for being aware that they're just thoughts that can be countered. It's frightening that that recipe came from a Chief Dietician.

HaleyJu - Thanks for posting the Beck suggestions for Halloween - historically a candy feast for me. Yep, fighting "chocolate leftovers" is a challenge. This year I might work on the notion that I am allowed to run out of candy - I don't have to buy so much extra that I'm guaranteed to be left with a mound that needs to go somewhere.

Koala - Yep, resisting "a glass of wine and dessert" in a social situation is worthy of Kudos. [I had to look up "Macquarie Dictionary" to learn that it's "by definition Australian." Noted that the online "Aussie Word of the Week" is shanghai with the definition of a child's catapult coming before the usage I know of abducting a person to serve on a ship. Fun, fun, fun this language we share.]

Readers -
Quote:

chapter 8 Stage 5 The Motivation-for-Life Plan

Daily Motivation Plan

several times a day
To do the following tasks, you may periodically need a visual reminder, such as putting on a bracelet you rarely wear, moving your watch to the other wrist, or wearing a rubber band around your wrist. Put a pup-up reminder on your computer or PDA, or make a note in your appointment book. When you notice the item or reminder, tell yourself what you need to do.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pgs 189-190.

Koala 10-17-2012 06:04 AM

Hello Beck Trekkers

Today has been pretty good – read my Beck book, read my list of advantages for losing weight, planned my meals for tomorrow (even though I’m going out for lunch – I know not where, so it’s a bit difficult to predict my menu choices :) ), been for my daily lunchtime walk, I stayed within my calories today – but carbs have been a bit high. Some credits for me, but also I know I’m at the early stages of this long long journey and I am yet to have a day where I am 100% on plan.

Lexxiss – great idea to take lunch supplies for a couple of days – reinforces the idea that Beck is all about planning. What a lovely surprise from your generous brother – is there such a being as a “fairy godbrother” – maybe there should be!

Spanky – fantastic result that you achieved your weekly weight loss goal. Slow, steady, reliable and constant has got to be better than random and disappointment (I tell myself, who is soooo impatient for these kilos to be gone.)

Gardenerjoy – backing up the computer is one of those icky tasks that is all too easy to avoid – I think you deserve big credits for tackling that. The list will still be there whenever you need it ;)

HaleyJu – that advice is so timely – the evening munchies are my bete noire, even when I don’t have the calories to spare grrr. One of my walking buddies told me today that when needs must, she takes herself off to bed straight after dinner in an effort to resist eating off plan! Oh my goodness, I am so glad that we don’t have Halloween to contend with – lollies (candy) have got to be ultimate temptation/trigger food for me.

Beverlyjoy – thank you for your very interesting debrief on the dietician appointment – she sounds very supportive and helpful - being positive about many of the strategies you already do [credit] and providing some new perspectives on this issue of weight which is confronting us. It’s a learning journey …

Maryblu – :wave: thanks for popping in and being proof positive that this all works!

BillBlueEyes – big credit for a 100% compliant day! Ensuring you are comfortable and happy within yourself for the wedding sounds like an excellent motivator, it’s not vanity at all! It is fun sharing a language – even within Australia we have many differences in language. In the west (where I grew up) a shanghai is known as a “ging”.

Here's to a credit-filled day!

Lexxiss 10-17-2012 10:43 AM

Hi Coaches!

Posting from my IPad...a work in progress. I'm at the eye clinic w/mom...70 min from home. Credit for weighing and thinking out my morning, which included a 5 AM smoothie. Credit for resisting an early morning S-Bucks while waiting. I'll enjoy it all the more later. Lunch at WFoods which I alway enjoy sensibly.

gardenerjoy 10-17-2012 11:03 AM

Credit for doing the three things I said I'd do yesterday -- check in with coaches, exercise, and my evening routine.

I have an even longer list today, but lots of them are quick items. I have stars by the three items that I'm committing to again today: check in here (CREDIT! Woohoo!), Exercise (I had a blast doing my Zumba on the Wii yesterday so I'm going to stick with that while I'm going through this rough patch--maybe add some Qi Gong for a stress reducer), and my Evening Routine.

I was never very good at this "credit" stuff. I'm impressed with how much it's helping to do these three things and to give myself credit for them. I'm not on track, but I have completely stopped my momentum of running away from the track. This is progress from where I was a week ago. When I'm ready, it's going to be so much easier to get back on track because I didn't get so far away from it.

Great to see you, maryblu!

Beverlyjoy: I suppose it was too much to expect that the dietitian would have a magic wand, but I was hoping, too! I'm reading the latest edition of Thin for Life by Anne Fletcher. She also says that it's never too late and never impossible -- and has many examples to prove it to be so. In the very first chapter she counters the myth that we can't lose weight over age 40 and the one that says that if you've tried a gazillion times and never kept off, then you never will. She had many examples of people over 40 who maintained weight loss and it turns out that most people try many times before they finally make it work. I keep being reminded of what they tell smokers "The times you tried previously were practice."
I agree with this: "She said I should only lose 1/2 to 1 pound a week." On average, that's the rate I lost. Faster some weeks and then weeks on end where I got stuck -- but the average was in that 1/2 to 1 pound a week range. It's not a race. Fletcher also said that most successful maintainers lost their weight slowly and did it in fits and starts, sometimes with stopping points of multiple years before finally losing some more weight.