Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #16  
On the path to a new me

S/C/G: 274/264/175

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning Coaches/Buddies,
I woke up this morning and can barely talk, my throat is incredibly sore and my head just feels clogged, so that explains why I was sneezing so much the last 2 days. I'm going to eat some breakfast and then go back to bed for now.
Just wanted to stop by and let you all know.
Jaye
Old 09-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #17  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello Coaches,
It is sad that this is the end of summer holidays, but it is nice to return back to routine. I had a great day OP, felt rather rushed trying to get every thing done I need to. I just wanted to check in, I am doing laundry, cleaning up and other things I have neglected this weekend with a busy schedule.
Have a great night and I will talk to everyone soon.
Take Care
Ann
Old 09-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hello Everyone,

I cannot believe Sept is here already. I'm ready for the routine of kids back in school, a little different at our house this year as oldest DS graduated in June and is now working almost full time at a local retail store until he decides what to do with his life. Or at least post-secondary school next year. Younger DS is heading into Grade 8, he'll be in high school before we know it.

I'm pretty busy at work right now, I booked the week of Sep 10 off for vacation, I really need a break from my desk, however Sept is generally our busiest month so I seem to be working extra to get the time off. Never really figured out why it works that way.

Being on plan has been so-so. I've been weighing everyday and not generally too happy with it. One major credit is that I joined a ladies gym last Thursday and have been there twice already. I was looking forward to my zumba starting again with my first instructor but I was having a hard time justifying the price of the sessions. Around $12 - $15 per class. The gym I joined had a promotion of $23/mo for 35 months with a $70 enrollment fee. They offer 4 or 5 zumba classes a week plus other fitness classes I'd consider taking. And all the exercise equipment as well. One of my zumba friends go there and really likes those classes too. So I decided to join, did my first Zumba class on Thursday night and could hardly move on Friday! Really brought back memories of when I started in April of 2011. So again a big credit for that.

We've had visitors for the long weekend any my brother delivered 3 large boxes of apples sent by my parents. So far he and I have washed, cored and sliced 2 boxes and I cooked them down some and have put them in bags to freeze. They will work well for baking and cooking with. I have the largest box to go still, DH put it in the garage for now to keep them cool. I'm sure they will be in next week's vacation plans!

Lots of playing with Dexter and getting him out for walks. He's on the 2 pounds a week plan too, but his is gaining. Up to 44.4 pounds, he was about 27 pounds when we got him on July 15. I need to stop gaining sympathy pounds for him!

Hope everyone is well, I can't promise I'll get to personals much in the fall, really busy time for me at work and I need to get to the gym as well. I'm sure you all understand.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #19  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - Labor/Labour Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The benefits of walking (CREDIT moi) were somewhat cancelled when I ducked into a new coffee shop just to look at their menu and figure out why we needed yet-another-coffee-shop. I was attacked by a charming young woman offering FREE samples of their soft-serve ice cream. Ouch - I'm weak in the face of either charming or FREE alone, but combined overwhelmed. So, once again, I've learned not to peek into places with temptations.

Eating would have been fully on plan (CREDIT moi) if I hadn't dipped into . . . toasted almonds. Why am I not surprised? I made our dinner salad to include chopped cherry tomatoes; our previously-abundant large tomatoes are running out. Had to use a cucumber and lettuce purchased from a store.

onebyone – Boy do I ever know about "fretting" instead of working or playing. What a waste. When you find a cure, let me know.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for demonstrating Stay Flexible but in Control right in sync with today's quote. Both of your salad dressings sound good to me. [LOL that you don't keep an ocean. You used to be covered with a shallow one - for several millions of years - but you got tired of it and grew mountains instead. Make up your mind.]

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for taking care of the care-giver. Ouch for a stressful week.

maryann - Second hand savoring your ocean view. Kudos both for enjoying the scene and for appreciating that your DS gets to play with cousins.

Tazzy - Yay for Zumba class finding those unused muscles. Kudos for joining the gym to allow that to happen. My best wishes to your DS who is working the issue of what to do next after high school. And my best wishes to your entire family to survive the upcoming eighth grade - that's one tough year.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - As much as I whine about the end of summer, I cherish the continuous changing of the seasons.

Jaye (Midnightsun68) - E-mailing chicken soup to Fairbanks to help you fight that cold stuff. Hope you recover quickly.

TeachMe - LOL at "eat less, then eat more" - Yep, I've tried that one. Yay for getting on the bike.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Stay Flexible but in Control

Flexible eating is challenging, especially in the beginning. You have to figure out whether a last-minute modification is legitimate (for example, you substitute one healthful meal for another) or not (you give in to a craving and have an unscheduled snack). You may find, as you get more flexible with your eating, that you become too loose.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 177.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #20  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday's plan to eat absolutely nothing at work worked perfectly, except for one corner of fallen toast. credit. I came home, had an OP vegan meal and went to bed early when my SF dessert slice got bigger than planned AND I was considering another. The rest is in the compost pile this morning leaving no room for temptation tonight. As a result, I am only 3 pounds off ticker which is doable. credit. I'm noting that before I started following Beck my swings upward were far greater. I credit both weighing AND checking in with you and my SBD group every day.

BBE, ouch for the lethal combo at the new coffee shop but credit for the walk, anyway. Your salads continue to be my envy.

Jaye, sending get well wishes!

gardenerjoy, neat that your legitimate meal switch allowed you to have a 100% day!

onebyone, yay for recognizing that beautiful day! Credit, as well, when you recognize that you are not up for either "extreme" and that somewhere in the middle is OK. That "middle" is often where I recognize that my food plan can come first.

Tazzy, yay for finding a gym where you can have your Zumba included in the price and also have other options.

TeachMe, credit for checking in, especially as you recognize that although your DH's upcoming surgery is more routine than it used to be BUT is still a very detailed medical procedure.

MaryAnn, I had a moment to ponder....yes, our food addictions travel with us. Glad to hear from you as you enjoyed some high class relaxation.

Ann(newlifestyle), credit for an OP day, even when feeling rushed and a little melancholy about the end of your summer break.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 242/190.5/153

Height: 5'6"

Am delighted that am on day two of fully OP eating! It's back to school tomorrow and have already packed my lunch and planned my day. Why oh why have I ever resisted planning when it makes such a difference? Having said that, it makes a big difference in teaching, too, and I have learned to do my planning there, so there is hope!

Lexxiss-- how fabulous to be that close to your goal! And well done for putting the cake on the compost. I quickly handed my cousin our 4 remaining cupcakes from Saturday's picnic to take with her and the kids to the beach today.

Tazzy--I love Zumba, but a bad Achilles has prevented me from continuing. I have been known to use that as an excuse to not do anything, but not anymore. My son is going into year 8 this week, still a very sweet age, but things can change quickly!

BBE--it's good to see that a little moment needn't derail the whole train!

Happy tomorrows everyone!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #22  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday went according to my plan at the family potluck. I filled my plate with salad and put a few bits of other things around the edges. I went back for seconds -- but only of salad. Credit for following my plan!

WI: -0.15 kgs, Exercise: +0 45/1400 minutes for September, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 09-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #23  
On the path to a new me

Hi Coaches and Buddies,
I am feeling a bit better today although I am still stuffed up and still coughing my throat doesn't hurt nearly as much. I got on the scale as usual this morning and was absolutely thrilled to see it read 261.8 that is a drop of 2.8 more pounds! Yesterday I mainly nibbled on healthy stuff staying OP eating fruit especially banana's and those "Buddy Fruit" packs the squeezable ones, I really like those and will have to get more of them, they feel good on my throat and they are handy. Anyways I digress I am going to go figure out something for lunch and then probably rest some more although I do have laundry to do.
Take Care
Jaye
Old 09-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #24  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post tracking and to-do lists

Coaches

After finally making my Fall to-do list, I got surly.
Then I was afraid.
And then I fell into a melancholy state characterized by staring off into space and not wanting to do anything.
So I cleaned up the kitchen: dishes done, counters cleared, stuff put away. Then I cut up tomatoes and put them in the dehydrator so I can have them in the winter. First time for this. *credit* It's all about the winter for me today. *credits* though for doing what I put on my to-do list, even though my last long weekend of the summer did not feel special.

Weather was great though. *credit* for that

And I discovered a movie I really liked with a scene that I love: Jack Black singing 76 Trombones led the ... parade...with 110 cornets in behind or something like that, dressed up in full marching band regalia. Wow. It looked like he had a ball doing that scene. The movie it's from is called Bernie which was created from this article(!) http://www.texasmonthly.com/1998-01-01/feature4.php. Good writing and good stories. You never know where they'll lead you.

Food has been a bit of eating too much. I ate all the leftovers so "they would be gone". I didn't want to throw any of them away even though I was full. Didn't want to count the points either. I didn't count yesterday or today. I've been battling the "you're not going to be less than last week on your weigh in anyway so why bother" sabotaging thought. I only just realized that writing this stuff down here. What a terrible and terribly effective sabotaging thought that one is for me.
"Why bother?"
I have been FILLED with why bother all weekend as well as I *feel* I am the only one bothering about certain things and many details for some upcoming events are just no one's concern it seems. Except for me. I think they are critical or crucial and can see why we need to bother but I also have a ton of other things to do--so, in this way, I am re-assessing everything and my priorities and my goals for the winter. I am leaning toward a "I'm not going to bother trying to point this stuff out anymore" attitude with certain things where I feel like it's too much of an uphill battle. Without allies I can't do it alone. So I have to conserve my energy and focus on my projects until I feel I can try again. I need to back down and back out for a while. That makes me sad. I never want to withdraw my energy, but sometimes if you don't you just waste it and don't have it when you really need it.

So cryptic I know. Oh well. Have a great evening. BTW did you know that September 1st was the New Year in some old celtic traditions? Seems more fitting than January sometimes.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Beautiful weather or not, summer really ends for me after Labor Day when school starts; I can understand the old tradition of the new year beginning on September 1, Onebyone. So tomorrow I begin a new school year, although my 18 3 to 5 year olds won't come for a week or two. But staff meetings, classroom set up, lesson plans, and everything begin tomorrow--I'm so excited!!
I spent this afternoon planning for lunches, organizing my stuff to get ready in the morning, and planning exercise.
Besides four days of work this week we have a memorial service in the big city Wednesday and another on Sunday. All of this will affect my food plan, and my time management. Not to mention the sadness and the tendency to eat emotionally. I've made some plans I plan to stick with, but tried not to be too crazy strict.
I am starting today on a 14 week training plan to be in shape for the cross country ski camp in December; I made a plan for this also. Oh yeah, I did an upperbody strength workout tonight; the first day on my plan.
Here we go--all the things I've worked on all summer, put in place for the new school year for continued weight loss and improved health!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #26  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello Coaches,
I got my new food plan and I am excited to be starting it. It looks easy on paper to follow. Once life is added in, I am not so sure. It was a beautiful hot day today here. I am finally ready for bed. Getting everything ready for school tomorrow and then cleaning up went much later than I thought it would. I hope everyone has a wonderful day and a successful week.
I feel as if I have been so busy, I am just going through the motions and putting one foot in front of the other. This too shall pass.
Take Care
Ann
Old 09-04-2012, 05:47 AM   #27  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Dinner salad was made with tiny tomatoes - smaller than cherry or grape - because that's what's left. The end is getting nigher. (I looked it up; I can say that.) Eating was on plan (CREDIT moi) except for a larger snack of toasted almonds than planned - Ouch. Methinks I'll not buy more when these are gone; when I'm feeling stress, they call to me.

At gym, CREDIT moi, I recovered my routine with upper arms to where I was before my two week vacation. I bumped into a friend who I'd never seen at my gym for a welcome encouraging chat. He's also lost a bunch of weight so it's neat to see him continuing to work out.

onebyone – Happy Celtic New Year - another reason to celebrate. I just read the whole article about Bernie that you linked. I hope that nice man gets his problem resolved, LOL. Yep, Kudos for tomatoes to the dehydrator - preparing for winter.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for seconds of salad when facing a pot luck table.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Gotta admire your composting a SF dessert before it bites - Kudos.

Nature Girl – Yay for being excited about 18 three to five year olds - I'd be terrified, LOL. Kudos for making some plans to stick with.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Yep, the challenges start "Once life is added in." You sound ready to meet them.

Jaye (Midnightsun68) - Congrats on continuing to see the scale move downward. Glad to hear that you're feeling better.

TeachMe - Neat reminder that planning is crucial in teaching, so why not in food consumption. It would help me to face the threat of standing up in front of a roomful of expectant faces to do my eating (Oh - maybe that's just what this forum is, LOL).

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan
Flexible Eating, Not Loose Eating
Flexible Eating: Making a conscious choice to adjust your plan, counting every calorie and staying with preset limits.

Loose Eating: Changing your plan and ignoring the calorie count or nutritional content.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 178.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #28  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I've weighed and planned my day.credit. Yesterday was 100% perfect at work...everytime there was something to go in my mouth I reminded myself, "not today". I slept later today and so I'm short on time. Exercise today, "work". Spontaneous exercise already...coming upstairs to save a flush and check in here. Remembering the stairs in my home that used to be a continual aggravation are now a breeze. credit and gratitude.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #29  
Green Tomatoes

Indulged in nibbling while standing. Time to reinstitute the sitting down rule -- I've been too lax on that lately. I've rarely achieved anything close to mindful eating, but I have nearly eliminated mindless eating. Sitting down makes all the difference.

Cool to see all the back to school new year energies here, even for those of us not going anywhere near a school!

WI: +0.15 kgs, Exercise: +30 80/1400 minutes for September, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 09-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #30  
On the path to a new me

Good Day Coaches and Buddies,
I got on the scale first thing this morning and was very pleasantly surprised to see a reading of 259.6! That is another 1.6 pounds down from yesterday! So far I have lost 14.6 pounds! I am extremely excited! Each time I lose I've been posting it as my status on Facebook and a lot of people have been asking me how I'm doing it and so I tell them about TBDS! I had one woman ask me if I was using that one diet pill, I responded by saying "Nope I'm doing hard work and TBDS!
Anyways I think this 'bug' that I've had may very well have been an adverse reaction to generic Singular, I've skipped my dose for the last two nights and it is starting to clear up. Once it is cleared up I will attempt to take a dose again and see for sure if that is what is doing it.
Rainy day here which means any exercise will be inside, so I will probably work with my dumbbells and do reps.
I will write more later
Jaye
Closed Thread