Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #121  

S/C/G: Restart 4-28-14 298/280.5/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone -- Happy Sunday...

BBE -- well it wasn't really "you get the paper if you take the kettlecorn"...to be exact I said, "you get your arrest warrant if you take the kettlecorn"..... And with my DS, I was very very concerned he had involved himself like that -- the wallet had $600 in it....as it turned out it was an elderly lady and she was having dementia -- the front door looked like it had been kicked in, so they got back down the street and called it in. Adult protective services were called in, and she had locked herself out of her house and got someone to kick her door in for her....oh dear....she was asleep in the house even with the door standing open ... You were so diligent about returning that wallet (salute) and you had great exercise also while you were making your attempts! ::

Maryann -- Happy Anniversary! AND the new you is making all those great decisions and finding solutions when things don't go as requested or planned.

Naturegirl -- kudos for the 3 mile walk! you are our inspiration...

Newlifestyle Ann I am so glad you are doing better. And I appreciate you too, very much. I so agree with you about making time for the relaxation tapes.... and about the personals, it's really more than okay not to get those done when you don't have time....i think all the coaches would agree that our personal need for planning eating, family, nurturing ourselves, exercise, rest, reading Beck and our cards, and healing our spirits when we are down has to come before writing all the personal comments...we have to take care of our needs first....THEN we have time for writing personals.....Ann, and you're staying with the program...that is so good...I'm going to try the automatic food plan more this week when I get into my four day work week.....hang in there ann....we're here for you.

Onebyone -- YAYYY -- good for you gal on signing up for the challenge....it will be fun. Also, I so agree with you about DH's being annoying....oh my gosh.... I actually told mine he can start doing his own cooking when he criticized something I cooked today..... I did that in front of my mother also, and I don't think he wanted to respond with both of us sitting there. Whenever he diets, he's loses weight so fast, and eats this spartan celery and carrot, and water thing....very unhealthy, but he's then so proud of himself that it's so annoying....glad your DH is changing his bad habits though so he will be healthier....and I agree with whomever said "they're wired that way!" (Our Bill is of course the exception and never annoying!)

Lexiss -- good job on the bike ride.

gardnerJOY -- so glad for you about your third day 100%.....that inspires me to want to be more 100% too.

hope everyone enjoys the closing ceremonies tonight.....I have a WWF friend who lives in London, and she says it has been so much fun to have the Olympics in her city.

Beck Team Hug

Last edited by Elizabeth779; 08-12-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 206/199/155

Good Evening Everyone,
Today is my first post on this thread and I just want to let you know that I am glad that I stumbled across it. Last week I was looking for support and looked up 3Fat Chicks. I have been to this site before and was looking for help, I know how to diet but my head was not into it this time. I had been on a rampage for at least the last month, eating uncontrolably everyday. I just happenned to find your site and read a few posts, I went to the liberary and picked up both of the books and have been reading and trying to put into practice everything that I have read. So far so good, but the hard stuff has not started yet.
I have decided that the green book is the one that I will be using, I like the diet plan, with WW as a back up plan. I would like to know if there is anywhere that I could print the Success Skills Sheet because I still have the book from the liberary and dont want to hand write all of this out. My book will be here in a few days but I do not want to mark in it either.
I am sure that I will have several more questions as the days and weeks go on and want to thank you in advance for all the help, ( I have already read the last 2 months threads and have found them very helpful)If anyone can think of something that I need to know please chime in I know that I will need all the help I can get.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 145/144/115

Height: 5'3

@ BillBlueEyes, Beverlyjoy and @ Elizebeth779: Thanks for the warm (return) welcome. And I've taken your advice. I restarted Beck from Scratch this morning!

And, to answer your question, @ BillBlueEyes, while I still spend most of my time Khmerside, a good chunk is dedicated to travel. I leave for Israel in just a few short weeks! Very excited!

@ gardenerjoy : As for that continued vigilance, I share that same need. Although, I remain hopeful that someday I can be "cured" of my destructive thought patterns.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #124  
On the path to a new me

S/C/G: 274/264/175

First day going without any soda! Hoping to make it two days in a row, figure start small dream big today was a day of staying OP I did 2 loads of laundry and have drank 4 bottles of water so far, I am about to open my fifth bottle.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #125  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Iwanttowin

Iwanttowin

And, on the occasion of your first post,

Neat that you were looking for support and then found it - and it's us!
Old 08-13-2012, 06:21 AM   #126  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I descended into a platter of homemade cookies seduced because they were broken and I kept removing, one by one, the unattractive ones from view, like I was assigned to bring Martha Stewart order into the universe. Ouch! I kept the rest of the day on plan, CREDIT moi, instead of falling for that nefarious Sabotaging Thought that since I'd messed up I might as well blow the whole day.

Minor walking, CREDIT moi, carrying the unopened golf umbrella. Now that's a losing idea; it's too bulky to carry pleasantly. Usually, if required, I stick a small (12 inch) umbrella into a back pack where I don't notice it. If used, it keeps some of me a little bit dry - good enough. Yay for trying new ideas even when they don't work.

onebyone – Absolutely LMAO at "Have some salad. It's good for you." Major Kudos for resisting murder - despite that an all-female jury would acquit. [Good spot - maybe it's the curio cabinet that appeals to me about mid 1800's England before 'hoarding' was a disease. I would be fashionable. With local clouds we missed the Perseid shower.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for third day and a scale that got the message.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – You're brave to go biking with a triathlete. Fun to read, "Bistro Vendome awaits us. I have a plan."

Nature Girl – Nice looking DD's - they seem to have inherited your notion of staying fit. LOL at three kids immediately abandoning the 'rents to go play. Sounds like a fun time in the crazy.

maryann - Congrats on your 11th Anniversary. With Kudos for leaving most of your cupcake instead of just snarfing the whole thing down.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Yep, Kudos for "showing myself I need to not give up on me." It's nice to know the group is appreciated.

Nelia – Neat that you schedule a good chunk of your time for travel - I so want to get to Israel and the Middle East.

Elizabeth (Elizabeth779) - Ooops - you were blackmailing with some serious paperwork, LOL. Your DS's wallet story is just the kind of thing that I was worried about. The wallet I returned had no money (it appeared to contain the backup set of cards, like library card and laundromat card). What if the owner asked me where the $1000 was? Would I have been smarter to turn it in to the Police Station?

Jaye (Jaye68) - Five Kudos for five bottles of water instead of soda. And Kudos for an On Plan day.

Iwanttowin - My take is that the hard part is getting started and you've just done that - Kudos for sure. I don't know where the Success Skills is available on line to print out. If you're lucky your library will have a dime per copy Xerox machine available. Some folks can take a picture with their cell phone to print with their computer and do just fine.

And Kudos for wading through the last two months of this thread - you're really doing your homework. My only advice is to post your status (in whatever format works for you) as often as you can - daily is best. Avoid trying to do personal responses to the rest of us just now because it can seem like a burden that's a reason to not post at all. When you want to do personals, feel free to just start with one or two - it'll be easy to identify with the several others who are also just starting. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Experiments to Vary the Think Thin Eating Plan

Discover How Marketers Try to Get You to Buy
These nutri-washing phrases make many relatively unhealthful foods seem healthful. These phrases include:

. . .
o "Reduced-fat." Not all reduced-fat foods are reduced in calories, too. Some replace the fat with sugar or other types of carbohydrate. For example, reduced-fat peanut butter usually contains the same number of calories as the full-fat version due to the addition of extra sugar.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 171.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #127  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckies... still struggling but, not running away. I've planned and written down what I have been eating. I weighed (+1).

I am reading my cards about travel and special occaisions.

billbe - I've heard about the shark invation at the Cape. Thanks.

iwantowin- WELCOME! So glad you posted. There's much wisdom and support here at the Beck forum. Also- no such thing as a silly question here either.

I'll be back.... gotta run my mom around to day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 08-13-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #128  
Green Tomatoes

The high school friend who introduced me to Monty Python is in hospice care from prostate cancer that metastasized. He turns 50 tomorrow and will leave behind seven children. The four youngest are two sets of twins, one set are 8 and the other 4. So, I'm sad today. I seem more inclined to write over it than eat over it. That's a good change, anyway.

WI: -0.05kgs, Exercise: +60 545/1400 minutes for August, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: I really like what you wrote to NewLifestyle about each of us finding our authentic way. So true.

Welcome, iwanttowin!
Old 08-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #129  
On the path to a new me

Welcome "Iwanttowin" Glad you found us! Thanks for the Kudos BillBlueEyes, it paid off because this morning the scale tells me I am down by 3.2 pounds Great way to start the week off!
Will post more later gotta go jump in the shower, headed out with a friend this morning and to play with her grandson later.
Take care everyone and have a good Monday
Jaye
Old 08-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #130  

Happy Monday!

On plan today, so far! Still haven't officially started a "diet". I am trying to implement the steps into a healthy eating plan. I am stuck, but trying to be aware of my bad habits and change them for the better. And, to have the weight miraculously disappear. I also think with my crazy summer schedule, I am setting myself up for failure if I start a diet now. (is that a sabotaging thought?) So every week, I just try to stick with DrB basics and eat a healthy portion controlled diet. The two areas I struggle with are exercise and snacking from boredom. To fix these problems - I have recruited an exercise buddy and bought a "groupon" for a local "specialty" gym. I already have a regular gym membership which offers everything, but I never go. My buddy bought the same groupon, so hopefully when we start going we will continue. My thought is to start once my kids are back in school and I have more of a routine. The boredom issue is more of a serious issue- I have too much free time at home. I work from home, dh works from home..... I have started applying for part-time jobs online at local country clubs. And, I have an interview tomorrow....
So even though I haven't started a "diet". I am looking at why I eat/snack and trying to change that aspect of my life.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #131  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post slow day

Coaches

Feeling a little blue today. I was going to say "not sure why", but the word OVERWHELMED keeps showing up in my mind's eye. So, perhaps I feel overwhelmed...?

Sometimes it's like this: a nagging nebulous irritation in the emotional regions that I notice like I notice a bruise which appears out of nowhere and takes forever to fade away. It hurts, a bit, when I touch it by accident. Mostly though, I don't even notice it.

THAT'S how it feels today.

That sounds pretty icky doesn't it?
My apologies coaches for my graphic content.

Used to be, I'd eat over this. Today I am going to be nice to myself. I am settling in to watch an episode of Breaking Bad. Happily I've just discovered I am 3 episodes behind! Yay! Things to look forward to.

I am also committing to continuing my decluttering and general clean up but at a reduced rate today: what's required of me is one: one sinkful of dishes done one load of laundry and emptying one moving box in the bedroom as well as moving the Martha Stewart 16-Cube Organizer shelf (mint in box!) to the bedroom where I *may* attempt to assemble it tomorrow if my ambition returns. It's a nasty piece of work this shelf is. the WORST designed product for assembling I have ever encountered. Two people pretty much required but I may try it anyway. DH doesn't want to go there so I may have to force the issue...

Anyway, not my problem today.
I'm turning on the tube now.

Have a good Monday coaches.

Iwanttowin I smiled and nodded at your description of this: I had been on a rampage for at least the last month, eating uncontrolably everyday. Rampage is exactly right. I know it well. Sometimes I still rampage, but it's internal and I don't eat over it... I did a lot of damage to myself during my rampages. Glad you found us.

Nelia welcome back!

Jaye68 KUDOS for that 3.2lb drop. Awesome. Good things happen when we have a plan. * credit* for a day soda-free.

BillBlueEyes Your cookie descent reminds me, oddly, of a dream I had way way back the very first time I seriously tried to deal with my overeating. Permit me to indulge myself.

I dreamt that I made a pan of brownies, and I was cutting the brownies into squares but I kept cutting the line crooked and then I'd place the knife in beside the cut to try to straighten the line, eating the small triangle bit to hide the crooked line. Eventually I ate most of the pan, stopping only when a sliver was left. When I woke up I was HORRIFIED as I had been sugar-free for weeks and the dream was so real I felt so awful at having broken my no-sugar rule.
What it highlighted to me was my incredible will to be perfect and 100% perfect and nothing else was ok. I guess your desire to eliminate the mis-shaped cookies reminds me of this, oddly enough. YMMV.

gardenerjoy I'm very sad to hear of your friend in hospice care. Especially a friend who introduced you to Monty Python. That's a good friend indeed. So much loss there for him with such a large growing family. So glad you are writing about it and not eating over it. I tend to paint these things out. The Arts, in situations lke this, are often a great help, where food just muddies the emotions and makes things worse.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-13-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #132  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Monday greetings,

My Sunday weigh in put me back to last week's weigh in with no loss/gain for the week. I'll take that--it figures to 2 pounds/week loss which, while skimpy for the "Might Atkins Induction", is still far better than I normally see.

Both the fresh blueberry pie and my talk got actual applause yesterday. My biggest win was making sure everyone else got a piece of the pie while I ate the leftover blueberries straight. POINT!

It was a busy weekend and I had another "adverse health event" (no drugs this time) plus the internet went down, hence no posting here. I also stopped reading the Beck books daily and am determined to dip back in this evening.

The house is a wreck, but I'm OP and Finn is still with me. It's a good day!
Old 08-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 206/199/155

Good Evening Buddies
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, it feels good to be in a place where people know the types of struggle that can haunt me daily.
Today has been a very good day I read my cards I have sit down every time I have put something in my mouth, and I have been trying to watch what I eat although I have not started stage 2 just yet. So I will tale credit for all the good things that I have done today.
I did the experiment today to not eat until i was hungry and was suprised to find out that I never did really experience hunger. I don't know if it is that I have been programed to eat every so often or if I have a true fear of being hungry. If it is fear, what in the world happened that would put that kind of fear in a person. I have never went hungry or been in a position that I thought I would go without food so I don't get it.
I do need to work on getting some movement into my day, because I would really like to start stage 2 later tiis week or the first of next week. Wish me luck.
Thanks for listening
Carol
Old 08-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #134  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good evening coaches,
A good day OP, went to the dentist, didn't eat over the stress...it was only a cleaning but dentist visits stress me. I don't know why, I guess I am afraid they are going to find a cavity. I spent the rest of the morning driving a careless family to drs appt. and getting prescriptions filled. I was almost late for work, work was crazy busy, not sure why as it was Monday and I was hoping to get off early to come home...guess what I did not eat over it. Yeah.
I am now off to bed as I have to get up early in the morning. I just wanted to check in.
Thanks again for everything you all do. You all inspire me.
Have a great night.
Take Care
Ann
Old 08-14-2012, 02:33 AM   #135  
On the path to a new me

Hi Coaches,
Day 2 without any soda!! I drank 5 bottles of water today *credit* and I played with my god nephew for a solid 30 minutes of running climbing stairs chasing him and sliding with him, he's 2.5 years old. I stayed OP today also and I invested in a small notebook I can carry with me to write down everything I am eating each day which I know will help me stay OP. When I was at the store with my friend this morning she asked if I had planned on getting some donuts for a breakfast, I looked at her and said "Nope not me" she smiled and said "Oh yeah you don't do those anymore" LOL We settled on whole wheat bagels and cream cheese but I only ate 1/2 of a bagel and was satisfied. I've discovered I really like the Sobe brand coconut water and I tried the Mandarin Mango this morning, it was yummy
Closed Thread