Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #16  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

My snacks went out of whack again. I'm not sure why. Something along the lines of procrastinating something that I want to do and, yet, I'm afraid will disappoint me. Or something. I maybe need to work a little more on the issue. Or work the mechanics of following my plan a bit better.

WI: +0.35kgs, Exercise: +60 60/1400 minutes for August, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: love the painting submerge. It manages to be both peaceful and adventurous at the same time.

maryann: happy Beckiversary!

spanky: the sitting down rule really helped me be more aware of my environment and food triggers. It makes me so happy that my goal post brought you to our group!

BillBlueEyes: Yep -- I ate bread yesterday. A very tasty home-made panini!

Sending calming thoughts to Lexxiss, Tazzy, and everyone else!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Good morning everyone!

Another quick check in, had a much better day yesterday after I got to work. DH got home from his extended trip to NC with an unplanned overnight stay in Chicago. Dexter did not have any messes in the house, DS & I tried to get to puppy school but an accident blocked a major intersection and instead of fretting over getting there on time we pulled over to a parking lot with a big green space and I taught DS the things we had already learned with Dexter. We had a good 30 minutes of our own training there! It's a work in progress for all 4 of us, 2 legged and 4 legged! Dexter had a lot of energy still last night when the rest of us wanted to go to bed so we had a game of tug of war at 10pm in the back yard. He was up a lot through the night but I think his routine was off. Let's hope for better tonight. It's also raining today so that will cool down the house for everyone.

I'll get back for personals later today, things are quieter at my desk right now so should be able to take a few minutes for that. My fingers are doing okay, at least I had not slammed the car door shut, just closed it softly and forgot to take my fingers away from the frame around the window. I think the dumbest part was that I then tried to pull them out and it took a few seconds for my brain to say, just open the door handle with your other hand!

Be back later
Old 08-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #18  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Savoring these first three steps into Beck. I have indeed been carrying around my "Reasons for Wanting to Lose Weight" in my head. For years. For 8 years to be exact, the year when I was laid up for six months and gained about 40 pounds.

One of my "Reasons" is that, after 8 years, I still have 20 pounds to lose and I want CLOSURE. Feeling awful about my weight has become an obsession with me, and it's time to get the job done and move on. Enough already of enviously eyeing the perfectly trim midsections of other people [who have obviously done something right to look so good]. Envy is replacing the act of getting my own trim middle for myself. It's as unproductive as envying someone else's new car instead of working to get my own.

That said, I am on plan today and have read my ARC 4 times already. I sat down for breakfast--surprisingly difficult while herding a 6yr old son and 4 dogs through the morning chaos--and for lunch as well.

It will be a slow afternoon here at work today--idleness is a danger zone for me. I plan to read Beck and work on a talk I'm giving next week. Instead of snacking.

Thanks--spanky

Last edited by spanky; 08-02-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckfolks/coaches...

Checking in. I've been in Michigan and storytelling alot this week. I've been writing food down and am down one pound from my 'official' Wednesday weighin from last week. Happy to be able to change my ticker. I checked back on the calender. I weigh exactly what I weighed on June 1. I guess maintaining is better than gaining. However, I've had a few ups and downs on the scale since then.

I've changed my food plan a bit. I've been eating too much unhealthy food lately. Even if it's at my calorie range... it's made me just plain feel bad. So, the past few days I've included some green smoothies for a jolt of micronutrients. I have tried green smoothies before... that's when I learned
cruciferous veggies don't agree with me. I've been taking it real slow and trying to figure out a way to include a smoothie for breakfast and one in the afternoon.

Soon I am going back to Michigan to spend some time with my grandkids. As Billbe says... those little smile-makers. I love the picture it puts in my mind's eys.

For three days I didn't have internet access. (withdrawal!!!) I've had it back now for four days. It's always challenging to go out of town. My plan is to not even look in my son's pantry. There's really nothing in there I 'need' to eat there. It's being out of town that often trips me up. I've been reading my cards about being out of town and restuarants.

Hope you are doing well. Be kind to yourself.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 08-02-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #20  
helpingrachel

Hey Becksters:

I came up with the idea to put them in a photo album that flips daily similar to a devotional book. I put it above my sink where I tend to hang out once a day at the minimum.

Here are my Advantage cards. I have them printed and placed in 2 places.
Day One- Aug. 1
Advantages –Diet
I want a new way of relating to myself…regarding food and self-care.
I will feel better as when I eat crappy, I feel crappy.
I won’t feel so self-conscious.
I will have more energy.
I will save money, as the clothes in my closet will fit or at least a range of them will!
I will be valuing myself as I will learn to be consistent.
My thoughts won’t rule my life, my values will.
I will have a sense of accomplishment.
I will feel in control of eating.
I will love being healthy instead of lazy and disengaged.
My rebellious side will not be in charge, my true self… will decide what is best for me.
Balance when it comes to food.

Worked 7-7 today. Planned lunch, within 1200 food plan, trying to psyche myself up for walk. Will hit treadmill while Olympics are on.

Last edited by helping rachel; 08-02-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #21  
helpingrachel

Day 2- Commit to a Diet Plan

I will commit to 1200 calorie diet .
Plan my meals with ideas of what meal breakdown looks like.***** Typed up grocery list for all that I need weekly. Bless my sweet husband he will eat whatever I fix.
Will come up with Food menu plan****** Typed up a 2 week meal plan
Will come up with modification plan. Not sure what to do with handling my triggers.
What to do on weekends? Wine on weekends seems to be my downfall. 2 glasses are my max but tend to be my crutch. I don’t lose when I drink wine even though I am allowed it. So I am going to have to work my “No Choice” muscle until the stuck scale gets to moving. I can socialize and enjoy without my Merlot in my hand.
No troubles during the week on this.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:32 AM   #22  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including gazpacho on the patio for dinner. I don't get tired of writing that. Still no full sized tomatoes from the garden. I'm sure they're delaying so that they can all ripen on the same day, LOL. Heaven forbid that two would turn red each day for a spell.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Ouch for whacky snacky. Kudos for "Exercise: +60 1415/1400 minutes for July" - month after month after month.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for "just did it" and "back to basics VIA Beck skills" - I like the straightforward.

Beverlyjoy – It's a joy to hear you're out storytelling - so good for your soul. Neat plan, "My plan is to not even look in my son's pantry."

Tazzy - Yay for the return of your DH - I do hate those forced overnights on short trips. Love your spontaneity setting up your own puppy training with your DS.

Rachel (helping rachel) – Thanks for sharing your Advantages; this one particularly grabs me, "My thoughts won’t rule my life, my values will." Congrats for choosing a DH who "will eat whatever I fix."

spanky - Kudos for making a plan to get through an afternoon that could lend itself to snacking. And Major Kudos for figuring out how to sit for breakfast during morning chaos. Can you tell us what that dog is doing in your avatar?

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Even if you have met all of the prerequisites, you don't have to transition to flexible eating now. Are you having such thoughts as, I'm losing weight ... I don't want to rock the boat! That's okay - you don't have to start right away. Mark your calendar to revisit your decision in a month or so to see if you feel ready then.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 167.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:13 AM   #23  

S/C/G: Restart 4-28-14 298/280.5/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi Coaches --

it's 3:00 a.m., and I'll be back at work in the morning at 10 for a 16 hour shift...so I'm going to make this quick.....

Credit for staying on plan.....credit for dealing with food pusher supervisor who really wanted to see me eat a donut at briefing this afternoon...bottom line was I told her thank you for bringing donuts, they looked delicious and I would sure be having one later in my shift since I was full from lunch right then. That satisfied her....and credit -- I never touched one.

And credit I'm not stress eating, but listening to my relaxation tape....so, hope you all are doing well. I'll be off this weekend, and will come in here and catch up with all of what is going on with my favorite Coaches.....

Thought: A calorie doesn't care why you eat.......and every bite does count.

And.............Happy August!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #24  
Green Tomatoes

Completed my three event rotation of on plan food, exercise, and writing in one day. There were grumpy moments with all of it but I stuck with it like a gymnast on the balance beam.

WI: -0.15 kgs, Exercise: +45 105/1400 minutes for August, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 08-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #25  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenerjoy View Post
Completed my three event rotation of on plan food, exercise, and writing in one day. There were grumpy moments with all of it but I stuck with it like a gymnast on the balance beam.
Kudos, gardenerjoy! I just completed my triathalon finishing with a personal best. Yesterday I ate OP, painted like crazy and got lots of work related exercise, especially with ups and downs off the floor. I've done well but hope not to be participating in the painting olympics 4 years from now.

BBE, I'm still so curious about your gazpacho. I have never tried it. PS-I finally looked at a picture of a Green Heron...not what I expected and understand why I've never seen one since they don't seem to frequent either Alaska or Colorado.

Elizabeth, I thought your response to the food pusher was very witty. It made me think that telling someone you were still from lunch was a really "valid" reason not to eat a donut, especially as we work on our Beck skills.

Rachel, great that you acknowledge that you don't lose when enjoying weekend wine and making a plan to say No Choice. Yes, you can enjoy and socialize without Merlot. I do it all the time now.

Beverlyjoy, thanks for checking in with us. Yay for maintenance and for boosting your nutritional intake.

spanky, credit for reading your cards and for eating sitting down, even while dealing with kids and dogs. I have to say your post yesterday sparked an acknowledgement with me regarding an unhappy event, weight gain...and now seeking closure and movement forward. I acknowledged some lingering pain, made a plan to deal with it and feel like I have made a shift. Thanks for sharing a personal part of your life and I send you support for closure.

Tazzy, I smiled at the thought of you and DS just pulling over and having an impromteau training session in a parking lot. What a great and positive response. It sounds like lots of spontaneous exercise for you. What kind of a pup is Dexter??
Old 08-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #26  

Hello Coaches:

I need some coaching.... The green book and cd arrived today. I flipped quickly through the green book and I see there are differences between the two as far as "stages" instead of new rule a day. If I am correct, she also has caught the wild card I have been playing which is that since I am still learning the steps I haven't started my dieting 100%.

Does anyone have any input on listening to the cd's? I set it up to play in the car, but was flipping through to get to the "important" stuff.

I could really use some of the relaxtion "tapes" that have been mentioned. One of the "buddies" did respond to "pm" the other buddy that has input -- I don't know what pm means. I thought private message, but there isn't any contact info on the profile.

Credit
*staying on plan so far today with food
*credit for setting up cd's in car
*credit for trying to find relaxtion cd's
*credit for weighing in
*credit for reading posts
*credit for trying to re-evaluate exercise plan
Old 08-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Happy Friday and a long weekend for us in Alberta as well. The weather is supposed to be in the high 20's/low 30's, looking forward to it. I did not get back here yesterday to do personals. Figures as soon as I plan for that I'd get actual work to do at my desk.

Soonfit I can't help you with the differences in the Beck materials as I follow the pink book. I'm also guessing that you cannot private message someone yet as there is a 20 day/20 posting rule for access to more of the options on the board, like the tickers. Credits to you for all of the other things you have accomplished!

Lexxiss Dexter is a rescue puppy and he's a German Shepherd cross, we are led to believe with Rottweiler based on his coloring and temperament. I guess there's a DNA test we could have him take but that would be one more expense and between the adoption fee, his neccessary items and dog training starting next weekend, he's tapped out his account. I think for now German Shepherd cross is a good enough identity for me to know! When we got stuck in traffic he started to cry in the back of the car and bark so I figured he wanted out to pee, a close parking lot, green space and a DS who was game to go there made it all work out. And last night he slept from 10pm - 4:30am before waking us, we count that as success in our house right now. Guess they need routine just like the rest of us sometimes. Credit to you for all of your physical endeavors lately!

gardenerjoy Yay for a balanced gymnast!

onebyone Your paintings are great, hope the 3rd one worked out well for you also.

maryann Congrats on your Beck anniversary.

Elizabeth779 Great strategy for a food pusher, I'll have to remember that one myself. I'm pretty fortunate that I don't have to deal with that in my life too much. My DH will often ask if I want a serving of something he's eating and I will usually reply that I'll have just a bite of his. I've become pretty good and being satisfied with only 1 bite of ice cream instead of a whole dish.

BBE Your garden makes me very envious. I just noticed this morning that I have one tomato just starting to change color. It was one plant that was spared in the hail storm.

help rachel It sounds like you have some good planning in place to be successful with Beck. Credit to you for that. I do my best when I take the time to plan and organize, when I'm not prepared is when I have a big tendency to think Oh well and that not the context we learn in the books.

spanky Credit for coming here to post instead of snacking. Distraction is a good antidote for that.

Weighed today and am the same, exercise yesterday was taking Dexter for a walk around the neighborhood and playing a game of tug of war with him in the backyard. I better keep doing this while he's only 32 pounds, once he gets to 60 or 70 he'll be tossing me around the yard. Read my ARC card both days, need to continue reading the book. So much is now ingrained from doing it last year, but I'm sure there will be things that I'll think "oh yeah, totally forgot about that".

Not sure how often I'll get back this weekend but will try and check in quickly. Have a good weekend everyone.

Last edited by Tazzy; 08-03-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #28  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation overshadowed

Coaches

Hi. I am fighting the urge to go to bed and pull the covers over my head. We had our super-intense Dr. appt's yesterday. The whole day felt like an theatrical production. I sit in lounge#4. health professional comes in, calls my name.
I follow.
I enter a room.
A scene unfolds before me: oh! nutrition counselling. oh! immunization. oh! ultrasound. oh! stress test. oh! hearing test oh!oh!oh! until I see the Physician who goes over my results so far then sends me back to get oh! more tests.

It didn't feel impressive yesterday going through it, but today it does.

As I suspected, a few weird things to check into for me.

But, overall, every health professional was impressed with my weightloss and my determination and my attitude. I was very quick to tell them all I am 40lbs down, doing Weight Watchers, planning on doing more as I progress yada yada yada. They love that, and it's true. The good Dr. has a healthy skepticism, in that she doesn't expect me to actually, ever, be under 170, which I haven't been since I was 17, and that were I to need the cholesterol meds, which I don't yet need, but am headed that way, or be unable to shed the blood pressure meds, which I have, and would love to toss, (and in fact, plan to toss), that really I should just take the medication and not wait until the weight comes off to see if I need it as the weight may, in fact, not come off.

The weight could also come off and I still need the meds, but that's more of a c'est la vie thing to me: I tried, it's my body, O Well as Dr. Beck would say.
But I am not there yet.
Anyway, I felt no judgment or negativity from the Dr. It was all good. I think she's seen many good intentions not materialize and truth is, the stats on successful weightloss are dismal.

But *I* am going to be the exception. why-the-F would I still be here, still trying, not to BELIEVE that *I*could*be*the*exception*?!

No one else has to believe it but me.
And that's just fine with me.
No one else can DO it but me either.
Not-as-fine with that, still *wish* it was otherwise, but O WELL. So be it.

DH got a shocker though. We have not discussed it yet. He has an appt. with our family Dr. on Wed. The Dr. was trying to reach him last week. Now we know why. Yesterday his Physician said to him.
"And you're 43?"
"Yes."
"And do you smoke?"
"No."
And do you have diabetes?"
"No."
"Yes, you do. You have diabetes."
"Oh crap. I do?"

And so we know why the family Dr. was trying to reach him.

DH lives on white bread, white potatoes, gummy candies, chicken wings, red meat and coca cola. Has for all his adult life. Hates most veggies, ALL fish and seafood, and fresh fruit except apples and pears.

He's going to have a bit of a transition to make, should he decide to make the changes. My uncle refused to "live like that" and got sicker and sicker and was in the hospital more and more, and finally died from complications of his diabetes, about 20yrs earlier than his parents and his siblings.

This being said, I know DH had little real influence on my food and my eating. If I overate, or ate in secret, or rebelled with food, it wasn't about his choices.
It was me.
If he was supportive, or indifferent, or overtly, or covertly, sabotaging me in the end, I have made the resolution to eat better, to choose better for myself, to value my own life more, and to keep trying things, keep fighting until something stuck. It is my decision to stick too; easier if he's onboard but I don't do it for him. I do it for me. The ripple effect is this will help him as I feel better, have more energy and am more at peace knowing I am doing what I should be doing.

I sure hope he chooses to fight the fight and not do what my uncle did: decide he just doesn't want to live without his favorite poison.

*credit moi* I HAVE NOT EATEN OVER THIS.

Bye!

update: DH and I had to pick up a few things at the grocery store tonight. I said "You're out of bread. Do you want to get bread?" We're talking white bread here--the no you can't eat that type of bread--and he looked at me with a lost look in his eyes. I said, "you know, I am sure you can find some kind of bread that would be ok and that you could tolerate. What do you want to do?" "No bread. From everything I read I can't eat that." "What will you have for breakfast? Will you eat like me and just skip the bread? Go wheatless too?" And he just gave me a half smile and said "I'm just not going to have any." And this is my fabulous DH, though he did have a coca cola as soon as we got in. Still. He's on it. THANK GOODNESS. Back to my market paintings.... see ya.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-03-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #29  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Checking in with Team Beck.

I have been OP for all 6 days of my 14 day Atkins Induction--Score!
I joined an Exercise Challenge at 3FC and am doing what I planned--Point!
Read my ARC 3 times so far, sat down to eat, and am "Self-Kudo-ing"--Yess!
I'm making a defensive plan to cope with 2 Bday cakes---A Win!!!

One of my "Reasons for Losing Weight" is so I can keep up with my 6 year old. Not as easy as it sounds, I am 55 years old and I don't want to parent him from the sidelines if I can help it. This morning he stood up in his bed singing "Happy Birthday to Me" at the top of his lungs; it is the first Bday he really seems to 'get it'.

There will be 2 parties and 2 cakes. A local hero known as "Banana Man" will come to sing to him. Excitement reigns. I made very sure the cakes I am making are types and flavors that don't tempt me--cake is huge for me so I'm going into this weekend at DefCon7 defensive stance. I will eat my Atkins meal before going to the grandparents' tomorrow and I will carry an Atkins meal for the after-Sunday Mass party as well.

I feel seriously fierce about protecting the truly hard work of 6 days' induction from mindless stray bites of Blue Choo Choo cake. This is a non-negotiable for me this weekend. I can't get closure if I can't stick to the Atkins/Beck plan I laid the very first time the cake starts flying! This will pump those "Say No" muscles for sure. I'll be weighing in on Sunday morning and it matters.

That's a Puddin Jack in my avatar--she is surfing. I have 2 of these dogs, but this is a pic of another. It's a good icon for My Life these days.

Last edited by spanky; 08-03-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #30  
helpingrachel

Go Team Beck!

Looks like several great decisions are being made.

Day 3- Credit for eating sitting down. Funny how many times I caught myself wanting to eat something standing up.

Walked 45 minutes with daughter. She is upset that she gains weight so easily and doesn't think it is fair. Tried to share Beck but didn't go over very well. Will wait until she is ready to hear it.

Ate on Plan. No wine even though there is a bottle open. Had a delicious grapefruit instead and so enjoyed it. Counted as 2nd fruit for the day.
Closed Thread