Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi All,

I'm still focused on listening to sabotaging thoughts and trying to figure out which type is my biggest problem. "Justification" and "Self Deluding Myself" seem to be the front runners. Also, the problem of getting back on plan after a small slip gets me too often. These habits are certainly difficult to break, and even when they seem under control, life events can kick them back into action. This is a life-long journey !!

Having all of you share your stories helps me see I'm not the only one fighting this battle. Thanks coaches !
Old 06-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #47  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Default You are soooo not alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
Hi All,

I'm still focused on listening to sabotaging thoughts and trying to figure out which type is my biggest problem. "Justification" and "Self Deluding Myself" seem to be the front runners. Also, the problem of getting back on plan after a small slip gets me too often. These habits are certainly difficult to break, and even when they seem under control, life events can kick them back into action. This is a life-long journey !!

Having all of you share your stories helps me see I'm not the only one fighting this battle. Thanks coaches !
Morning Woodland. Just wanted to say hang in there and you are soooo not alone!!!!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #48  
I am more than weight.

Post Newsflash!!

I read this in the Eden Diet and it is soo my problem and thought I would share with you!
"If you want to lose weight and keep it off permanently, then you have to learn true hugner from false hunger. True hunger is physical. False hunger is mental. One takes place in the body the other in the mind. False hunger is a lie that originates in your head. It's when you need or want someting intellectually, emotionally or spiritually, and you're misled into believing food is the thing you are looking for".

Can I get a Amen!

Tammy

Last edited by TamTam; 06-07-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 06-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckfolks.coaches.buddies... Yesterday was a very good food day. (about 95% op) I am grateful. I wanted to eat alot extra unplanned food in the evening, but, I used some of my resistence techniques and went to bed early. Of course, that means I got up earlier. But, because I take some morning medicine on an empty stomach and have to wait one hour before I eat.... this is helpful to me not getting up and just wanting to start eating right away.

I accomplished many goals:
planned/measured/logged food eaten
lots of water.
exercise
meditation
always left a bite
ate seated, mostly
no seconds
ate a bit slower
weighed - down

I do need to read my cards and book more consistently.

Today I go to see the orthosist (SP?). She's the lady who fitted me for my last ankle brace. I had trouble wearing it and ended up putting it away. She said I need a 1/4 in. lift in my right shoe under the brace. My doctor says no... I need a lift in my left shoe. So who to believe... the doctor (who beleives he knows what is really best for the desired outcome) or the lady (who's made and fitted these for 20 years)? It's put me in a quandary. BTW - this woman is someone that was very highly recommended to me.... not the usual person the doctor has used. hmm.... We'll see. I need to figure it out because my old ankle brace is not doing it's job.

Cajun Catholic - amen from me too.

Gotta go. I hope you all have a GREAT day. Treat yourself as kindly as you would a good friend.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-07-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #50  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

A brief check in...

We have been up since 3 am. We got downstairs and drank coffee, etc, and talked alot about what we are looking at long term. I also did some reading on the internet. That said, my helper is coming at 10 to help me move our bed downstairs. The immediate goal is for DH to be more independent and it looks like any kind of stair stuff doesn't happen for at least 12 weeks. One step at a time. He's resting now and I'm going to try and get reorganized and into a new routine....paperwork, laundry, food, etc.

Yesterday I did pretty well with food choices, winging it as the day progressed, but I'd really like to get to a point of having more structure again. I will work on that today, as I have a day off. credit moi for not totally wiping out any sense of food sanity during this time. Fact of the matter, I seem like I am past that stage in my life. credit. I got on the scale this morning...dressed...more of a ritual than even looking for information today...and that is ok.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

This morning was not great. I have been waking up at night. I have not gotten 8 hours of straight sleep without a Tylenol PM in quite awhile. I have an appt. with the Dr. today. In addition, my buddy who was supposed to go travelling with me in the East Coast in three weeks called and cancelled because her cat is sick. This is the latest in thirty years of her bailing on me. I have a lot of feelings about it not the least of which is disappointment and anger. I am wondering if I am done with this relationship. I am no longer willing to be a doormat to people. I am not recovering from food addiction on a daily basis to allow myself to be continually disappointed and abused in other areas of my life.

This stuff makes me hungry but I am on a path of change and I will not eat through this.

Excellent OP day yesterday. Food is written down. I have plans for exercise. I have an AA meeting tonite. These things are steps to recovery.

Personals tomorrow.
Best to all.

Last edited by maryann; 06-07-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #52  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post credit.

Coaches:

I've missed my weigh-ins at weight watchers for two weeks. I sincerely wanted to miss another week, but then my ww meeting leader facebooked me this morning. It's not as weird as it may sound as we have had some email contact and I invited her to my art show in Key West and her request to me my fb friend made me go to the meeting. It's a good thing I went. I am up exactly 5lbs. 5lbs is not 10, 15, 20, 30 or 50. The weigh-in person took the time to chat with me and to tell me she had regained and re-lost 30lbs over her mother's death and the other weigh-in person had re-gained and re-lost 50lbs over her mother's death so she was telling me she understands and she encouraged me to keep on keeping on. I assured her I would not stop trying and I won't. I feel like I got a new start today and it was a great great great relief to see *only* 260.8 and nothing more. This weigh-in coupled with my recent gardening acitvity makes me feel better. Guess, once more, it helps that someone cared enough to enourage me, to talk to me. I sound pathetic sometimes but it's still hard here. I just haven't replaced my longtime friends and nothing will replace them and only time will create those deep relationships with some of the new people I've met in the last year. The garden though is awesome. It makes me feel so good.

Better go--off to pick DH up at work.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-07-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #53  

S/C/G: Restart 4-28-14 298/280.5/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
I'm enjoying digging deeper into the sabotaging thought identification skill. I like pulling the blankets off these sneaky unhelpful thoughts, shining a light on them and taking away their power.

I think the Beck skills work for me because I like information. I like my chosen diet of calorie (and nutrition) counting, seeing the scale everyday, thinking about thoughts, etc., because it is data. I can see the data written down. It takes away the self deluding part of eating and makes me honest with myself.
I agree -- I like to know or find out how things work. I'm going to read those parts about the sabotaging thoughts also and figure out my thoughts and why I turn to food. I think I self-sabotage a LOT.

I like what you said about "it takes away the self-deluding part of eating".....I need to pull back the blankets off those thoughts and stop self-deluding myself.

Thank you for sharing your comments.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #54  

MARYANN -- hang in there -- I have a sleeping disorder, and when your sleep is affected, EVERYthing is affected. Good for you for taking that to the doc -- hopefully, that will help get you back to sleeping better. Too bad about your travel plans, it's a bummer when people let you down, especially when it affects travel plans.

You said though: " This stuff makes me hungry but I am on a path of change and I will not eat through this.

Excellent OP day yesterday. Food is written down. I have plans for exercise. I have an AA meeting tonite. These things are steps to recovery."

I admire your determination to not let things get in the way of your plans for recovery and healing and health for yourself. That's important.

I had a good food day and BDS solution day also. Am reading the BDS like my life depends on it.

So, we'll just keep on keeping on.....We Can Do This -- one step at a time!
Old 06-08-2012, 04:41 AM   #55  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Used the old glass of water trick again to ward off the munchis, CREDIT moi, so that I remained on my eating plan for the day. Both DW and I bought blue berries at the attractive seasonal price; breakfast has to include double the blueberries with my cereal. That's my notion of heaven. It's still too cold to eat outside around here - crazy June.

Walking, CREDIT moi, deliberately avoided Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. I'm not ready to restock the pantry with dried fruits and nuts - makes my favorite peanut butter and banana sandwich less tasty without the pecans, but I need to get my resistance muscle strengthened a bit more before I welcome that which I'm known to grab first.

onebyone – Yep, "keep on keeping on" sounds like a good companion to "Persist In Victory." It takes time to establish friendships; I wish you well. Yay for your awesome garden - what a conquest.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Just amazing to think this is so, "I seem like I am past that stage in my life." Congrats for taking stock of your situation and just moving the bed to make life work. Hope the change allows less stress during your DH's summer of recovery.

Beverlyjoy – Hope you were able to resolve your left/right lift dilemma yesterday - seems like that choice matters. Kudos for dealing with your evening cravings.

maryann - Ouch for having to confront "disappointment and anger" over your East Coast trip. Hope you still make it to Acadia. Big Kudos for sticking to your "path of change."

Woodland - Neat to face your Sabotaging Thoughts. I'm a master at "Self Deluding Myself" - I can pull out "I don't care" with a perfectly straight face. Thanks for "This is a life-long journey !!"

Tammy (CatholicCajun) – Neat to be reminded of "true hunger from false hunger" - I'm not sure that I've experienced true hunger in years. Either my hunger-meter is broken or I'm just never long enough away from my last meal or snack. So, "Amen!!!" from me on that one.

Elizabeth (Elizabeth779) - I'm cheered by the enthusiasm, "Am reading the BDS like my life depends on it." It's good to be reminded that staying the path supports all the parts of our life. Thanks for that.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills

family dinner skills
Try the following strategies: . . .
Do deep breathing. If things get tense, take relaxing breaths (instead of a drink).
Defuse the tension. A little humor goes a long way when things are tense. Make light of others' critical comments. Let them roll off your back.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 154.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-09-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #56  
I am more than weight.

Yesterday did good. Drank water while doing paperwork. DID NOT SNACK after supper-big credit!! Have the stuff to make s'mores and had my fiber drink instead as an afternoon snack--BIGGER credit!
My fiber drink-1 cup pineapple juice, 1-container low fat yogurt, 1 scoop whey protein and 2 tbsp flax seed.

Have a blessed day. Tammy

Last edited by TamTam; 06-08-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #57  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up practical part done. aesthetics to follow.

Hi Coaches.

My garden is all done. 18x18 feet of earth on lease to me for this growing season. How great. Love it soooo much. I've attached two jpgs: one of the wheelbarrow full of weeds from yesterday. The other my completed, completely planted, garden; picture taken mere hours ago. I am a real experimenter. I'm trying several things in this garden including trying to a)germinate and b)grow a rare Areni Jumbo Striped Banana Squash. Not sure what that will be like. There were only 6 seeds in the packet. My hope, of course, is to grow one of these squashes to maturity so I can save the seeds and help save one rare plant. I'm also trying to grow, from seed, in the garden, two different hot peppers: Hungarian Hot Black Pepper and Chinese 5 Colour Hot Pepper, plus Baby Finger Egglants, and two Cosmonaut Volkov Tomato plants. So very exciting. Nothing more hopeful than a garden just planted.

Aesthetically, my garden needs some cleaning up so I get to count that towards exercise *credit* all week long. Lots of hoeing, watering, and weeding in my future.

Foodwise, I tracked my food yesterday *credit* weighed in this morning: 259.4 (-2.9 or something) *credit* did exercise in the garden yesterday and today 2x*credit* and now look ahead to tomorrow's morning at the farmers' market. I think it's supposed to thunderstorm, but I stayed away last weekend when it was rainy AND cold so I am going no matter the weather. It bugged me all week I didn't go so I'd better just go.

And with that I am off.
TGIF Coaches!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gardendonettt.jpg (47.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg weeds.jpg (66.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #58  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCajun View Post
Yesterday did good. Drank water while doing paperwork. DID NOT SNACK after supper-big credit!! Have the stuff to make s'mores and had my fiber drink instead as an afternoon snack--BIGGER credit!
My fiber drink-1 cup pineapple juice, 1-container low fat yogurt, 1 scoop whey protein and 2 tbsp flax seed.

Have a blessed day. Tammy
Dang that sounds good. I'm going to try that. How much fiber in that?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #59  

onebyone love the pic of your garden -- and kudos to you for pulling the weeds. I'm wanting a garden, but it's too late to plant here -- we will be having killer heat within weeks and baby plants would just die.....BUT I will be putting something in the ground. Might nurse along some established zucchini or somthing. Better yet, think I'll just start an herb garden in some 5 gallon buckets and put them on the patio so they will get some afternoon shade and call it good for now.

There is a ton of info on the internet about gardening. I have some books (love Square Foot Gardening).

Good for you for staying on program and getting your exercise in the garden.

My update: This is a BIG CREDIT for me. I have been in the habit of bingeing in my room late at night. I'm a night worker and day sleeper so late at night on days off I would bring my binge foods in here. Yesterday, I "fixed my environment" by getting rid of all food out of here. Nothing but water remains. Last night i was watching TV and was crocheting instead of snacking. Then I got a call from a friend about a problem, something that is sad. Then I wanted to eat, but decided i wasn't leaving my food-free zone unless this room caught on FIRE!!!! CREDIT BING! I stayed in here, did crocheting, finished the movie, said prayers for the sad situation and went to sleep. (Happy sigh).
Old 06-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #60  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. DW made a new Thai dish of tofu broiled with peanuts and sauces. Seriously yummy. And I got to wear my vegetarian hat for the day.

Went out birding, walking (CREDIT moi) to a secret area in the suburbs that I'd never been to before. It was hidden from all the adjacent houses and contained a small hill from which we could see both the Boston skyline to the east and the Great Blue Hills to the south. We almost made it back to the car before the first thunderstorm; didn't get wet enough to complain. Then drove - slowly - through a downpour worthy of the Deep South. Just ferocious. That stopped and another followed it within minutes. Our plants welcomed the water, but would welcome a week's worth spread out more gently, LOL.

onebyone – Really curious about your "rare Areni Jumbo Striped Banana Squash" - you just don't do standard, LOL. Apparently the world has more squashes than I'm likely to get my hands on from local markets. Have a profitable Farmers' Market today.

Tammy (CatholicCajun) – Oh Yes, "BIGGER" Kudos for your fiber drink when s'mores were handy.

Elizabeth (Elizabeth779) - Kudos for establishing your "food-free zone" - what a neat Beck strategy to employ. Getting some seedlings going is a great way to start late.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
family dinner skills

Memory Box Cards
The first time you follow your plan during a family dinner and find that experience particularly meaningful, file it in your Memory Box, as Heather did:
Memory Card
Today was Dad's birthday. Mom criticized me a lot
for not eating the birthday cake she had made. But
I didn't care! I didn't even feel like I had to take a piece
of cake home just to appease her. I remembered that
I'm in control of what I eat! I'm just not going to eat
what she wants me to - ever - unless I decide to
do so.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 155.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-10-2012 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Ooops - copy paste missed CatholicCajun.
Closed Thread