Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #31  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

BillBlueEyes-Thank you for pointing me to that thread. Time for me to gush over to them.

And I've exercised my bare minumum (30 minutes in the hoop). I've been successfull on eating sitting down and well 95% of the day. Yay! I also tracked. Yay! Unfortunately I broke my blender today. Which is sad because I was looking forward to it plus that's the only way I can get fruits in. I hate fruits. So I make green smoothies for myself after work. I don't even know when I'll be able to get a new one.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #32  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

Daimere: Sorry about the blender! I live by mine too.

Bill: I'm trying man, I'm trying. It's not that easy though

Lexxiss: Thanks! Congrats on great life changes!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #33  
Hooping my Life Away

I have a favor everyone. I'm in a contest called Hooping Idol. If you could/don't mind/etc, feel free to vote for me at http://www.hooping.org/2012/05/hoopi...low-jams-week/. I'm number five. My song was "Beautiful" and I think it's my best video to date. I'm in the top 10 which is an amazing. Three people will be eliminated this round.

I've batch cooked some more chicken and prepared my healthy food for work. I'm ready to rock this night! Tomorrow is my 12 hour shift (now my workplace is forcing overtime without regard to schedule). Although I've been bring my own creamer and splenda to work to put in my coffee. I figure some good creamer + splenda is better than 5 things of creamer and 5 packets of sugar in my usual cups!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #34  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I over-snacked today. Pre-vacation jitters, but I have a few more weeks before we leave so I want to get a handle on this.

WI: -0.6 kgs, Exercise: +35 335/1400 minutes for May, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Yay, fyreflie24, for buying swimsuits! I'm sure you look great! I still don't like how I look in a skirt -- so I wear slacks. For me, swimsuits are just what I wear when it's appropriate to wear a swimsuit. It's never been or going to be my greatest moment in fashion. But I have had some of my most fun and relaxed moments in life wearing swimsuits so I'll keep doing it.

Thanks, Lexxiss, on your pre-vacation reporting. Since I'm gearing up as well, this is very helpful to me -- I'll follow your example to stick with my Beck strategies.

Welcome back, Daimere -- I also think of you every time I see a hula hoop! Love the video -- so graceful!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #35  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Another good enough day, CREDIT moi. Evening snack was in line even though I didn't go out - a good step in controlling that one. Made some progress reading Black Swan, a book espousing the notion that random things happen. It's easy to get sucked in just to be annoyed at the author who is proud that he didn't allow his work to be edited - which makes me grateful for all the books I've read that did have editors.

Am off this morning to see if the warblers are here yet.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the reminder that preparing for vacation is not an excuse to go off plan. Vacations always remind me that no item of clothing is perfect for all occasions, that I can't carry everything I own with me, and that I don't own all variations of all items anyway.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Such a joy to read, "a lot of my former triggers are either gone or greatly diminished" - may we all get there.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Sending body acceptance pixie dust your way.

Daimere – Ouch for the broken blender - may a new one come into your life soon. (Around here, they're a frequent item at yard sales - but not necessarily when you need one, LOL.) Voted for your Hooping Idol video; I liked your graceful moves between the hooping.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Confidently Follow Your Plan at Restaurants
Special Advice for Buffet Restaurants
When you practice the art of buffet eating, do the following:
  • Stick to your usual plan (as you would for any restaurant).
  • Decide whether you will use Bonus Calories for this meal.
  • Remind yourself that trying to "get your money's worth" will cost you a lot in terms of gaining weight and strengthening your giving-in muscle. Isn't the goal of getting thinner, with all its accompanying advantages, much more important?
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 149.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #36  
Hooping my Life Away

BillBlueEyes- I went ahead and took the money I'm saving for a group fitness certification to get a $30 blender that's almost double the wattage as the other one. Maybe this one will work.

I still haven't read my cards. I ate two pieces of birthday cake but they are within my calorie range. I'm about to hoop for 10 more minutes to make my 30 minute bare minimum. I did 20 minutes of hooping on my lunch break. Bonked my face and have a swollen lip.

I just passed my BodyHoops FitKids test. So I guess that means I'm officially certified to teach kids hooping (not that it's completely necessary). I'll probably get my food ready before I sleep.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hello Everyone!

Food has been okay, DH and I ended up having a snack-fest of graham wafers last night after my zumba class, guess the good thing was there was only 1/2 a package in the box .

Zumba was good but it's back to the time of year when the community centre gets really hot in the evenings, so hot zumba again! Really makes me sweat.

I have been writing down my food but not tracking the calories. Weight is remaining the same. I got my old WW supplies back from my mom so will consider following that for awhile as well.

Back to the mountain of work on my desk. Hope everyone is well!
Old 05-10-2012, 04:44 AM   #38  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did gym, CREDIT moi, noting that the new owner has a sign suggesting courtesy. There's a nearby gym that has a "no swearing or grunting" policy - so as not to disturb the fine people who might be offended by macho behavior. Since that seemed to focus the macho types into my gym, it will be fun to watch the new owner's policy enforced, LOL.

Food was good enough, CREDIT moi.

Tazzy - Yay for having so few graham crackers that snacking stopped before it was a problem. That's one of my problems with Costco; the HUGE sizes gives me the opportunity to massively overeat. I'm better off without a four pound bag of almonds in the pantry.

Daimere – It'd be terrific to have a side business of teaching kids to hoop. Ouch for the two pieces of birthday cake - it tweaks my head when I do things like that.

Readers -
Quote:
. . .
  • Walk around the buffet before putting anything on your plate, reminding yourself of your pre-planned options.
  • As you plate your food, give yourself credit for choosing foods that are on your plan.
  • If your choices are glistening with butter or oil or are covered in a sauce, take a smaller portion than you would if you'd prepared the dish at home and scrape off as much of the sauce as you can.
. . .
Old 05-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #39  
Hooping my Life Away

I'd say I've been 75% okay with not eating standing up. I did great at work. I just had two cups of coffee. I felt great most the night. I was going strong. I charted everything before I ate it to make sure I stayed on plan. Although my husband made me a pot roast last night for this morning. I found out I lost Hooping Idol and grabbed me some even though I planned only cereal. I know it's emotional eating but I feel like I have control of it. Kudos to me for not getting a second helping though! I know I sure do wish I had that birthday cake now (which is 100% emotional eating). I did 10 minutes of hooping which is the bare-bare minimum. Not sure if I can jump into anything right now. I'm slight emotional.

BillBlueEyes- My five year goal is to have my own little studio teaching 'offbeat' fitness like hooping, poi, aerials, whatever. Next week I'm going to take a Hoopnotica teacher training. One is a fitness hooping training which I heard is killer!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #40  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Freshened Up

Hi Becksters/Coaches

I'm feeling pretty good today. I just got back from my WW weigh-in and saw a drop to my lowest weight to date: 255.8 My personal goal is to be 249.4 by the end of the month and I think that is do-able if I stay focused. Thankfully, the Big Push to reach all manner of deadline has now passed. I have only two "events" this weekend: trying out farmers' market #2 and attending the opening ceremonies where they unveil my large woodblock print at the Hillary House historical site, in the same town as the farmers' market where I will be vending.

I've attached an image of my print. It's 24" wide by 48" tall. The background is a large reproduction of a collections notice sent by Dr. Hillary to Mrs. Holliday on December 1, 1916. She owed him $5. There is a handwritten notation showing he accepted 2 baskets pears for a value of $2 towards her bill. I decided she had an agricultural accident where she fell and fractured her pinky, (I show this across the top of the print; the fall and the xray of the broken finger) which according to a 1914 pricelist cost $5 to treat, without anaesthetic ($10 with). (He's treating her in the center of the print). And then I found a 1915 Ladies of the Red Cross cookbook with a stained page that had a recipe for various marmalades including pear marmalade. I wrote out the recipe on the print. The bottom of the print shows the pears in bushel baskets and the marmalade being served at the breakfast table, with a pinky held high.

The town mayor will be saying a few words at 2pm and my market is over at 1, so I hope to pack up VERY FAST and make it to meet the mayor and to see my piece all hung and lit up, along with the work created by my 5 fellow artists. I am just dying to see what they came up with.

Foodwise, I felt myself struggling this past week but I put the brakes on by acknowledging I was in a "I want to eat a lot of food" mood, so I made soup, from scratch, and that has done the trick for me yet again. I swear it is one of my best strategies for getting past those feelings for me.

I'm thrilled to start a new week and to set my sights on being under 250. It wasn't that long ago I was terrified of being over 300. I am grateful for everything today let me tell you.

Daimere Just the names of the Hooping things makes me want to do it, esp. Hoopnotica! Sounds great. I congratulate you for pursuing the Hooping Idol award. Really, I am so happy to read you are living your life, going after your dreams and doing the things you love and NOT waiting "until you are thin". Excellent. And credit for your successes regarding not eating standing up and not having seconds. You are doing great! Hoopray!!!

BillBlueEyes The best part of going to a gym for me is to hear men grunting and groaning. *I love that*, but I guess this says a lot about me eh? *ahem* I attended a meeting last night at our local city hall and met the mayor, which was very fun for me. Go figure. The meeting was about being "a character community" as our town "officially" is this. There's a website for it. Courtesy is not one of the characteristics of character communities though. Your new sign at the gym reminded me of all that so I thought I'd share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1hillaryprintdone.jpg (36.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #41  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches! We made it to our home last eve....very tired. We have some very basic needs to take care of today, some affect my making good food choices. Our tenant got a "new" used refrigerator which needs a cleanout before I can stock food. I bought a vitamix in Anchorage yesterday but organic veggies are sparse...I've already checked the store this morning. First successful resistance this morning...DH wanted to go out for breakfast and I suggested an alternate/healthier plan.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #42  
Green Tomatoes

Credit for ordering well at lunch at a tapas restaurant. Credit for catching up on a paperwork task that I'd been putting off for a couple of months.

WI: +0.6 kgs, Exercise: +65 440/1400 minutes for May, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: love the print. It reminds me of some volunteer work I've done in an archive that has nineteenth century materials -- it has that mood about it.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #43  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was emptying the storage unit rented "temporarily" for the three months of our repainting last summer, but not completely emptied when we got done. Had to move 49 boxes sized 1'x1'x2' from the unit via my station wagon to the third floor. Many were heavily loaded with books. The thought of the task had caused me to dally long, long after it was time to act. The break through happened when my DW suggested that I hire a helper who did more of the heavy work than I did. CREDIT moi for the exercise, for getting it done, and (BIG one) for ceasing to pay for the unit.

Food was good enough, CREDIT moi. Today's the day I tick my monthly signature counter for staying my path, CREDIT moi.

onebyone – Congrats on that new low scale reading; may it just continue to dribble downward. Love the print with its full story which I hope you get to attach so that folks can fully appreciate that all the scenes are stitched together. [Thanks for the link; perhaps Canadians don't need to be reminded of courtesy.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Tapas has the same siren call as buffets; Kudos for ordering well.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Typing loudly so you'll be able to read this all the way up there in Alaska. Kudos for standing down the call to go out for breakfast already.

Daimere – Yep Kudos for not taking seconds of that pot roast. I'm a sucker for pot roast - before my journey I'd regularly have seconds and thirds. Neat notion of having your own studio. Is there an option to go to schools to teach hooping to kids? Little kids hooping is one of the neatest sights ever.

Readers -
Quote:
. . .
  • Wait until you sit down to eat your first bite of food. It's easy to eat hundreds of calories while you're still in the buffet line; food eaten this way won't satisfy you enough, will reinforce an unhelpful habit, and will leave you with less food to eat once you sit down.
  • Don't go back for seconds. If you feel tempted, read your Response Cards and use Resistance Techniques.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #44  
Hooping my Life Away

My husband and I went out to the mongolian grill today for his birthday/cheer me up. I love going to that place because I can make whatever I eat as healthy as I want. I loaded my bowl with veggies, added healthy lean meats and moderated the brown rice. I think I ate less than 1000 calories while eating out! I didn't exercise much. Just the bare 10 minute minimum. Eating sitting down was pretty 99% today. Woot. I also woke up early and did some slight gardening.

Quote:
Just the names of the Hooping things makes me want to do it, esp. Hoopnotica! Sounds great. I congratulate you for pursuing the Hooping Idol award. Really, I am so happy to read you are living your life, going after your dreams and doing the things you love and NOT waiting "until you are thin". Excellent. And credit for your successes regarding not eating standing up and not having seconds. You are doing great! Hoopray!!!
That has been one of the very few things anyone has said that has made me feel better and proud! Thank you so much!

BillBlueEyes- I think that you have to be certified or something. I'm not sure. I'm going to try that route after I get my PT or group fitness certification. Although a month ago I helped at the YMCA afterschool programs and taught hooping. It was definitively a learning process!
Old 05-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I realize It has been a few weeks since I have checked in. I asked myself sporadically what that was about. Didn't come up with any great answer. Lots has happened around the house. I have finished the work for the semester for my MFA in writing. I am set to leave for Vermont's residency in June. i will visit Arcadia NAtional park over the 4th of July weekend. I was denied sabbatical because the school district is broke but my boss came up with a job training teachers which might give me the break I need. Food has not been good. Thankfully I have only gained 3 pounds during all the emotional times facing all the changes.
DH and DS have not changed.They are still terrific. I feel I am back to square one with food but that is just a feeling, not a fact. Square one is over 200 pounds. So credit for that and i am moving on.

Last edited by maryann; 05-11-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Closed Thread