Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #46  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Tomorrow's my 50th birthday. I plan to celebrate by writing up a post for the Goal! thread here at 3FC.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #47  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was close enough to plan, CREDIT moi. I'm still having trouble with snacks; meals are stellar. Dinner included roasted squash with onions, cranberries, and sage - a favorite. The single advantage of having read all three volumes of the Hunger Games is that each fresh vegetable feels like a major treat.

Did gym, CREDIT moi, without even noticing that the guy next to me was using smaller weights than I was. Nor that he was younger and in better condition overall. Yep, I don't do comparisons, me.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Happy 50th Birthday. May you have 50 more and 50 more after that. The library had a copy of a new biography of Richard Feynman - a hardback written as colored comics. I'd not seem that before. It's well done, although the info conveyed is limited since there are so few words on a page. Is this what's required to get young adults into non-fiction books these days?

maryann - Yay for a boss who helps to figure out how to give you a break and still keep you onboard - clearly your services are valued. Kudos for avoiding fallacious catastropic thinking and choosing "I am moving on."

Daimere – Kudos for that 99% sitting down. It's such a surprise to discover that we don't already do that. I love Mongolian grill for just the reason you point out - I feel that I've made it so mine. I particularly enjoy watching the difference in orders by young teen couples when the large guy orders a mound - mostly red meat - and the petite female orders a small stack of veggies. Seems right.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Confidently Follow Your Plan at Restaurants
Special Advice for Ordering In
Follow the same guidelines for take-out foods as you would for eating out. Don't be afraid to speak up if your entire family or the friends you have over want to order food that doesn't correspond to your plan. Feel entitled to order what is on your plan.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 149.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #48  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Joy-Happy birthday!
BillBlueEyes-My husband's was basically a big hunk of meat! I used the shittake mushroom sauce which is like 45 calories (couldn't find the lite soy) for my dinner. I don't know if my husband realizes this but it's my newest favorite restaurant. And I think it's pretty affordable. It was $35 with tip.

I did pretty well eating wise today, with 90% sit down success. I think for me the biggest reason the sit down thing is important is to prevent bites/noms while preparing food or mindlessly eating in front of the fridge. Although the 10% was already in my calorie allotment. It's not like I was scarfing in front of the TV. I tried to do a barre DVD that I never used before and didn't like it. I wound up hooping through a quarter of it. But at least I tried! I also did a PM yoga 10 minute video. I might have to try their AM 10 minute yoga video tonight.

I was interviewed for another hoop website and it went live this morning: http://www.hoopalooza.com/2012/05/ho...on-herrington/
Yay me!
Old 05-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #49  
Green Tomatoes

My story is up in the Goal! thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal...ml#post4330729
Old 05-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Hi and Low for today.
Hi - I just bought my own Nutrimill to start grinding a bag of wheat my farmer husband is bringing home. Just another step to eating in a more healthy fashion.
Low: Scale up two pounds from Chili Cheese Mac recipe at last nites dinner. Cooking Light recipe but I had wayyyy too much of it.

I just read Gardenerjoy's article of 50 and fab. Terrific to hear a recap of her story. I will be 50 in two years and am also glad I started this journey early to be able to celebrate that milestone.

Last edited by maryann; 05-12-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi Coaches and Friends.
I'm new-ish here (I've posted previously on the Beck thread quite a while ago).
I've finally decided to commit to Beck as I must lose weight and I've been flip flopping around with no commitment or real enthusiasm for about 10 years. Lost some on WW in 2003, since then it's just been a few pounds off, then lose momentum and eat my way back up even higher.
I'm not sure what I weigh now, but I know it's around my highest ever. Will weigh tomorrow, which is going to be my Beck Day 1.
I'm also starting my eating plan tomorrow, I know she says to wait for Day 15, but I am ready to start now.

Ok well that's enough about for me now, I look forward to getting to know you all on the boards. Happy Birthday to gardenerjoy, I already posted on your Goal thread

Just a quick question, I have the two pink books, the Solution and the Workbook. My plan was to work through one for the next 6 weeks, then start the other and do a further 6 weeks filling out the charts and notes etc. I'm just not sure which one to start with first. Any advice? Oh and should I get the green book or do I only need that if I want to follow the diet in it?
Old 05-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #52  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up so/so

Coaches

Attended my second farmers' market today, a different one from last week, now I need to choose between the two, but I am pretty sure today's venue is the one for me. I am choosing not based on how much I made, as I made less than 1/3 of what I made last weekend, but on how often I laughed. Laughter is a commodity that I do not have nearly enough of. Last week's market brought me, I'm not kidding, zero chuckles. Today I had a few hearty guffaws even while setting up, so I choose today's market venue.

Foodwise wowsa I need to be careful, as usual, at the farmers' market. Tables and tables of all manner of baked goods, all enticing, plus a local sausage maker (landjaegger sausages a personal favorite--they had them. Yikes.), and my booth will be pretty much in the food court area. Well, to be honest the foodcourt is everywhere there. No escaping it. I did well with a few sausages and coffee, but indulged at my special event, the opening of the historical home where my work is being shown all summer. They had cake, cookies, cheese, pop. I had all but the pop. Then on the way home they were having charity bbq's at a foodshop so we had some of that and now it's almost past dinnertime and we haven't eaten. I'm ok with all this as I know I am done my transition period now. I am settled into my "this is what I am doing to make money" life and that's that. It is a HUGE relief.

Artemis__ Welcome! I know how it feels to be at a top weight and to cycle through the same 10lbs. Beck will help. As for which book, I used the workbook and just committed to it. Others like the green book, and the pink book too. You just need to start and keep going, that's all. There is no one right way. There is just your way, the way that will work for you. It may take some time so I am glad you are ready to start!

maryann I too relate to the age 50 milestone. I am 50 next year, after my 49th birthday still to come this year, so I guess that's 2 years, but you know, it's breathing down my neck! Congrats btw on getting your MFA writing done. What a great accomplishment.

gardenerjoy Happy Birthday to a cherished Beck friend!

what a thrill it must be to post an "I made it to Goal" post on your 50th birthday no less. As a librarian, and a lover of books and stories, I am sure you can appreciate your own character arc here. How great. KUDOS.

Daimere Hoopalooza?! Those hooping names are killing me over here! I have not been great about sitting down to eat this past week. I have done a lot of eating my meal at the stove. Oh well. Thanks for the reminder. I need to step up my Beck game.

BillBlueEyes This is the book I want you to read, and then I want a full report. http://www.amazon.ca/Persepolis-Stor.../dp/037571457X Kudos for making it through the Hunger Games. Equal kudos for getting to the gym, having a good meal and appreciating the vegetables on offer. The snacks? Oh well. They'll fall in line.

I'm going to veg out now. See yous guys tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #53  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Happy Mother's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was out walking (CREDIT moi) where we saw some Common Terns diving for fish and flying in courtship formations. Spotted a Willet in the shore grasses - an unexpected place - to made the day. Real exercise was walking the acres of a LARGE nursery to choose a Red Oak for our back yard. Drove home some 90 miles with the upper branches of a seven plus foot tree between DW and me with the rest wedged in our station wagon. Yay for trees.

Did well choosing lunch, CREDIT moi. Gently steering DW away from splitting an order of fried clams with French fries to splitting a bowl of yummy fish chowder and an organic platter of veggies that included roasted Rhubarb - the first time I've had Rhubarb outside of a sugar dessert concoction. It's a whack upside the head however you eat it. Fun lunch.

onebyone – Yep, farmer's markets all seem to include more food vendors than a fair grounds. Good luck just keeping your goals in mind. I love that you chose between the markets by the "hearty guffaws" - that's keeping priorities straight. [I've added Persepolis to my wish list on Amazon. My new thing is to delay a few days before buying new books, especially since I have five books on my RIGHT NOW reading stack at moment. Report will follow.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for posting your story. Your consistency provides a constant inspiration around here. I share your enthusiasm for The End of Overeating by David Kessler. It too helps me to see that the overwhelm of food isn't natural, that I've got to put up unnatural defenses. And the Beck strategies provide me with those. (Is it close to time for your trip to Ireland?)

maryann - Love the notion of grinding one's own flour. Did your DH really grow the wheat? I don't think of the west coast as a grain producing area. It's neat even if he just picked it up at Whole Foods on the way home.

Daimere – Yay for trying new stuff - gotta kiss some frogs in life if you're gonna move into unexplored territory. I liked the fourth (lower right corner) video best - cool music and moves both.

Artemis__ – Happy Beck Day One! Kudos for committing to a moving forward. Even if you start monitoring your eating now, there's a spot in the 42 days to choose your eating plan and backup eating plan. And later, an exercise plan. Glad you've joined us.

Re: Which book? My take is that any of the three will work. Starting with the pink book worked well for me; I really liked ticking off my progress over 42 'days' of steps. I stuck to posting daily to mark my progress. (It took me about twice that long, since I dawdled over some.) Some find the green book easier since they like the meal plan attached. I'd recommend starting with whichever of the two pink books appeals to you right this minute, and charge forth. Save the green book for some future time when you looking for a fresh kick to stay your path.

Readers -
Quote:
If the leftovers are tempting, put them inside a brown paper bag, staple the bag, and store it in the back of the refrigerator. If they are still too tempting, even with the extra packaging, throw them out. Remember, the food will go to waste either in your body or in the trash can. I often hear from dieters that they are the only ones who really eat the leftovers anyway. So I suggest that they just go ahead and throw out the leftovers right away if they don't want to end up eating them or if they can't think of when they will plan to eat them.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 149.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 05-14-2012 at 06:15 AM. Reason: It's Rhubarb, not Rutabaga, LOL.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #54  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation going over to leftovers

Hi Coaches

This being Mother's Day, we are heading over to C's mom's place this afternoon. N, C's mom, told him that his sister and BIL were over yesterday and they brought salads and the leftovers are ours today. C hates, nay, LOATHES leftovers. Oh well. Another food-related visit. I am getting tired of them. I would love it if she would not cook for us, but since she's injured her hip (she called to tell me she goes to rehab 3x a week now as they are pleased to say her bone is only 1cm out of the hip socket. She assures me it was not a "dislocated hip". Apparently, according to N, it is normal to lift a heavy bag of soil (with a shoulder that's scheduled to be operated on ASAP no less) and if you do that one too many times, you can put your hip out. This person is 65, not 85. She has not asked what she should do to prevent this from occurring again, nor has she inquired about why her skeletal structure seems to be failing--ie. what's the underlying cause. But then again, she comes from a family of tight-lipped folk who suffer silently.

I hope she's just "sparing us" and she has asked these questions. She needs to do something for herself IMHO to prevent more injuries down the road.

So, we are off to visit her today.

She has some gardening for me to do she said. I hope I don't get caught up trying to "make everything right" for her and in the process injure myself.

I feel old today.

Have a good day.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #55  
Green Tomatoes

onebyone: sympathies for the MIL issues. I was tasked with stirring the cream sauce last night. It was a good thing the recipe, for mushroom ravioli, was sitting right there -- 1700 calories a serving! And that was just the main dish. She was serving it with garlic bread, plus I brought salad and SIL bought a 2-layer chocolate cake. And, yeah, her back wasn't up to all the standing required to stir the cream sauce. I thought she was getting a handle on things with Jenny Craig, but apparently not. Unfortunately, I suspect Jenny Craig, for many people, doesn't solve the issues brought up in The End of Overeating book.

BillBlueEyes: Ireland is soon -- soon enough that I'm considering it both a 50th birthday present and a celebration of reaching goal weight! We still have a lot to do to prepare for our first overseas trip including finalizing our wardrobe. We keep re-assessing how cold it's likely to be. This week in St. Louis, we're going to have highs in the 80s. This week in Dublin, they're having highs in the 50s.

Welcome back, Artemis! I look forward to your posts. And, I second BillBlueEyes suggestion. This is a long journey, going through all three books, eventually, is a reasonable goal. It doesn't matter where you start. If you don't like how one is going, try something else.

maryann: grinding my own flour is on my wish list. I have a file around here somewhere with notes on that.

Daimere: good job continuing with the effort to eat sitting down. It definitely helps rewire the brain to think of eating as a separate and important activity that is worthy of attention.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 05-13-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #56  

Hello Coaches and Friends.

Happy Mother's Day to those of you who are celebrating it today. Here in England we celebrate it a couple of weeks before Easter.

Today has been quite challenging food-wise. I've decided to start with the first book, then I'll use the Workbook, and may move to BDL if I need to after 12 weeks with the first two. And having read the part about The Two Week Wait, I have also decided to wait until Day 15 to start my diet. I think I need to take the time to learn the new skills covered in the days between now and then. I've started, and failed, many diets and I want to keep at it this time. Clearly as Beck talks about learning the skills to diet successfully, I don't yet have those skills. I looked ahead through the book at the first 14 days and there are some very useful tools in there which will help me. So I am working through the book in order, as I think in my case that's going to be the best way.
I've made my Advantage Response Card and I will read it before I go to sleep tonight.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:29 AM   #57  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. For Mother's Day dinner - provided by me courtesy of Whole Foods - I wandered a bit on the appetizers that DS had selected since they included dried tomatoes (good!) that tasted yummy when wrapped in gourmet salami (bad!). (Cracks me up: Yesterday I wrote of "roasted Rutabaga" when I meant "roasted Rhubarb." It must have read strange that I mentioned Rutabaga in a sugar dessert concoction, LOL.)

Exercise was planting the 7.5 foot Red Oak I mentioned yesterday. It was a perfect day to work in the yard - the same temperature inside the house and out.

onebyone – Hope you got some happy exercise gardening yesterday. Leftovers are one of my favorites. Perhaps I just enjoy knowing that dishes will be few.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Good grief! Hope you survived 1700 calorie mushroom ravioli with garlic bread and chocolate cake. Wish I could type that without it sounding so good. Would have liked to see the expressions on folks faces when you served yourself one ravioli in the center of a plate of salad. (Is 'ravioli' also singular? I don't recall seeing 'raviola' before.)

Artemis__ – Good move to delay starting your diet so that you focus on the skills before that distraction. Getting your Advantage Response Card is a big first move. Feel free to share some highlights here if you want.

Readers -
Quote:
The more often you practice eating out and ordering in, the better you will get at it.. You will make a shift from, I feel deprived, to I'm so happy I stuck to my plan. You will also make a shift from, I can't wait to eat a lot, to I'd so much rather be thinner than eat extravagantly ... It's not worth t! Eventually, making special requests will no longer feel difficult. You will naturally ask for what you need and will no longer confront as many sabotaging thoughts. You will also start to automatically make smarter choices and learn to recognize hidden calories.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pgs 149-150.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #58  

Hello Coaches and Friends!

So at Bill's suggestion, I'm bravely sharing just three of the points on my Advantage Responses Card. I have a total of fifteen.

1) I will feel more comfortable in a plane seat. (I have to take a domestic flight quite often, and the seats on those small aircraft are teeny narrow!)

2) I will lessen my risk of Type 2 diabetes

3) I'll feel so much better about myself.

I will read my card in the morning when I wake up, at night before I go to sleep and during the day my hardest time is after a meal. That probably sounds crazy but the act of eating actually triggers my desire to overeat. Especially if I've eaten a little too much. I would say that afternoons around 2pm, and immediately after a meal are my hardest times to stick to my plan.

Tomorrow is Day 2 and one of my tasks is to pick two diets.
I am not sure which to choose, but I guess I can be flexible about this. If I give one a really good try and it's not working, I can switch to something different. I've tried almost every diet out there, the only one I never tried is calorie counting. I was always put off because I'm not good with numbers. Well, now there are websites and apps and alsorts of help so I think I can handle it now. Plus, it gives me the opportunity to tailor my own meal plans. I can pick mostly healthy foods but there is also a little leeway for treat foods. I'm not at all sure what my back up diet plan will be.

What are your thoughts on calorie counting?

Last edited by Artemis__; 05-14-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #59  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Friends!

I "tried" to post earlier but poor internet got the best of my post"poof" Too much going on and didn't save it elsewhere first. We are very, very busy and I don't have a scale nor time to access one. We shower every 3 days at the laundromat. Working very hard-mostly physical projects. This morning I've hung on a ledge while trimming elderberry bushes and started hauling tires up our beach stairs for disposal. I am trying to make the best food choices whilst we bounce between eating out, getting invites and coming in at the end of the day not too excited about cooking. Sunrise here 5:20 Sunset almost 11pm

Ok, my crew awaits. I do take moments for myself and it looks like we'll finish our day with a big beach bonfire. We burn alot every day but the weather for a cookout hasn't been great until now.

Welcome Artemis!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #60  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was good enough, CREDIT moi. The challenge was an evening meeting where we snack for dinner while we work. I find it difficult to stop, but kept it to the high side of OK.

Did gym, CREDIT moi, distracting myself by picking up dumbbells from the wrong locations and returning them to the correct locations - so I got to contribute to order in the universe without expending any energy. The universe rewarded me in return when I walked home under threatening skies that burst open just as I stepped on my front porch. Rain these days makes gardening DW a happy woman.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Sounds like a rugged life, with the joy of location, location, location. I forget that in Alaska you're already enough north to get such long days. Hope you can figure out how to stop eating since it doesn't get dark to send you a signal.

Artemis__ – I certainly recognize this one, "3) I'll feel so much better about myself." As much as I wish the world would respond to folks of all body types with equal respect, I find it hard to respond to myself with equal respect when I feel bad about my weight. If the world were perfect, I'd remain my own critic.

Re Calorie Counting: My thought is to go for it. I spent a few months meticulously observing calories where I found that my intuition about foods was often just plain wrong. White sauces always surprised me as well as fried foods and added butter. After a while, I resorted to portion control because I was selecting from the foods without the hidden calories. YMMV.

Readers -
Quote:
Having said all that, if you eat out a lot and find that you are not losing weight (or you are gaining), it's likely that:
  • The portions you consume are too large.
  • There are hidden ingredients that you are not counting.
  • Your special requests are not being honored.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 150.
Closed Thread