Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2012 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 05-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Good enough for food, CREDIT moi, until I had to make a trip to Costco. Ouch! I got smug when I saw that there were no FREE samples since it was late afternoon, thinking, I won without even trying. Then rounded a corner and banged into the FREE samples with my guard down. And sampled like I needed food to survive. The good news is that I didn't purchase a four pound bag of dry roasted almonds, a two pound loaf of flat bread with onions and olives, or a four pound clam of very large strawberries - all of which nearly jumped from the shelves into my cart. CREDIT moi for leaving behind stuff which I would only have purchased to overeat.

Did gym, CREDIT moi. Got to work out next to a HUGE guy - football player sized and built. He was using dumbbells twice the weight of mine, but I didn't feel competitive - his thighs were bigger than my waist with no visible fat anywhere.

onebyone – Hope the TV taping went well. Kudos for a walk at night - get to see your area in different light.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Big Kudos for buckling down and achieving your April exercise goal.

maryann - Congrats on "45 pages and 5 books" - you do well when you get concentrated. Kudos for giving up a weekend with your DS to get that done.

Tazzy - Congrats for the success of that 50th Anniversary party. 24 for dinner boggles my mind.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Kudos for "body composition changes" due to serious exercising. [Yay for an awesome bike.]

Susan (hikergirl) – Waving right back; Kudos for checking in.

CatholicCajun – Kudos both for leaving food and stopping when satisfied - two hard strategies to learn.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Confidently Follow Your Plan at Restaurants
At the Restaurant
I encourage you to ask for:
. . .
  • Your grain plain, unless you want to use your Add-On Calories or Bonus Calories for butter, sauce, or a different topping. Be forewarned: Restaurants routinely add butter or cream to such foods as mashed potatoes and rice to make them taste better. You won't know, though, unless you ask.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 147.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #3  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

Happy May!

Bill: Ugh, Costco... Kudos indeed for leaving it all behind!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #4  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default pretty tired today.

Coaches

I have not made it to the backyard and my outdoor studio yet. I'm not sure I will today. I need to carve out the details of the face in the very center of my woodblock-Mrs. Holliday's face to be exact-and I can feel I am not up to it. My critical eye, along with my simple mind and my worker's hands are not up to the challenge today. And if I go wrong with my woodcarving tools it's very very bad. So I need to rest up a bit. Not to mention I have, of course, only one, special, prepared, piece of paper to print onto. I spent the morning assembling a propossal to teach a relief printmaking short course at The Studios of Key West during their next academic session: 2012/13. It'd be a 3 or 4 day course and I was told the studios would house me for the duration of the course..and so, dear coaches, I would be able to return to Key West next year. And the year after I am eligible to apply once more as an artist in residence so if this all works out I may be set for the next 2 years. Anyway, all that to say today was the deadline for applying and I did it. man. So much going on. tonight and tomorrow morning it's all about the pottery guild spring sale this weekend. My deadline to deliver my big print is this Friday, so I must get it done asap. And, my first market day in over 2 years is this Saturday. Lots of prep for that left to do too.

Anyway, the good news, above and beyond this laundry list, is I have stayed OP. I have tracked daily. I have weighed daily and saw a GREAT thing on the wii fit sccale this morning. I met my goal to lose 4lbs in one month *credit* and I set a new goal to lose 5lbs in the next month. And the weight it told me I was today was 254 something. 254! I have not seen that in years. yay yay yay. So CREDIT MOI for all that.

Must go. Much, as you know, to do.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #5  
Green Tomatoes

I change my ticker on the first of the month and it was a pound lower than last month! Sometime this month, I think I'll change to one of the maintenance tickers I've seen on some profiles.

I had a weird day and started to use it as an excuse to eat off-plan snacks. Instead, I fixed the giant salad I would normally have had at lunch and ate it for a late afternoon snack. Weird, but it kept me on plan and it was actually tastier than the off-plan snack would have been.

WI: -0.2 kgs, Exercise: +50 50/1400 minutes for May, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 05-02-2012, 04:32 AM   #6  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I treated a day long drizzle as too much rain to allow a long walk; Ouch. Food was OK, CREDIT moi. DW served farmed salmon for dinner. It isn't Alaskan wild salmon, but it's tasty and has all the Omega-3's that make fatty fish so nutritious.

onebyone – Congrats on that 254! Seems wise to do wood carving only when firing on all cylinders. Good luck on getting a second trip to Florida.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Salad for an afternoon snack is creative; glad it worked.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Just noticed your yoga ticker - neat.

Readers -
Quote:
At the Restaurant Make special requests. I encourage you to ask for: . . .
  • Fresh fruit for dessert, if your plan allows it. Many restaurants have fresh berries or other fruits, even if they don't mention it on the menu. Just make sure to ask that the fruit be served plain - without whipped cream, sauce, or powdered sugar.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #7  

GUESS WHO SPORTED SOME SKINNY JEANS YESTERDAY?

Yea that would be me I'm stoked that I'm going to need NEW skinny jeans in another 18 lbs! I'm looking at a obscenely expensive pair of True Religions. I call that my maintenance plan They get too small and I gotta get right back on the wagon!

Did measurements today too.

Area Starting Current
Hips 46.25 39
thighs 29.75 24.75
Waist 35.25 29

it's getting there huh? Trying to find anything and everything to get me through this last 18 lbs!

Onebyone: Your work sounds amazing! Do you have pix?

Joy: BIG KUDOS on the salad!

Bill: Salmon is one of the foods both my kids get really stoked about (us too). Sounds like a great meal I want a wife too LOL!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #8  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Friends!

It has been crazy busy and I have seen the physical manifestation in my food choices the past few days. credit moi it's never bad like it used to be. When it got right down to it this morning I was able to identify that my office was piled up with everything. It was imperative to resolve that. In order, I:
~had coffee
~weighed (ok-up 1 after coffee)
~made green smoothie
~wrote today's food plan by the refrigerator
~picked up downstairs
~organized my office
~posted here

Beck Diet Solution at work.

A week from today we will have just lifted off and will be headed North. I am acknowledging that a week out I already feel like it's vacation. Reality is that I need to follow my food plan as close as possible the rest of the week. I'm sure we're going to be eating pretty darned healthy 90% of the time but I do forsee a 10% area. Reminder: Read up in my Beck books regarding traveling, vacations, etc.

BillBlueEyes, kudos for salmon, even Atlantic style.

Donamarie, congrats on skinny jeans!

onebyone, great job staying OP!

gardenerjoy, yay for moving your ticker down by 1!

Ok, off to chores! First on my list is calling Alaska to find out what the local grocery stocks for organic produce. We're taking our vitamix (actually buying a second one at Costco in Anchorage). I know I would go haywire without my smoothie for 10 days, it is a non-negotiable aspect of my food life now.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #9  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up marching to May Weekend #1

Hi Coaches:

I've completed another thing on my to-do list. *credit* I now am free from Pottery Guild duties until Friday at 11:30 when I am the "floater" at the guild's spring sale opening day. I have no work in the sale. I've chosen to show my work at the farmers' market this weekend instead.

Foodwise I have no real plan for lunch or dinner, so I need to take a minute before I get involved in my work again, or before I get so hungry I eat *whatever* in *whatever* amount I feel like. I officially weighin tomorrow so I want to be conservative in my food choices today. I weighed in with the wii fit to see a 2.2lb gain to 257something. It's all sodium as we had corned beef yesterday. So, nothing like that today if I want a good result tomorrow. I need to drink a lot of water today too.

That's it. Time to get back to it or something like it.
Enjoy your day.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #10  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was OK, CREDIT moi, except for snacks, Ouch. Enjoyed my trip to the gym, CREDIT moi. Walked there despite threat of rain.

Spent too much time figuring out how to remove the stopper so I could clear out the drain of our new sink. Seems there are two ways to install a sink: normal for homeowners that makes it easy to clean the drain, and secure for institutions so that you have to go beneath the sink to unscrew some plumbing in order to remove the stopper. We got the institutional installation. For six months we've enjoyed the security that house guests were not able to steal our sink stopper. Yay for this being my worst problem of the day, LOL.

onebyone – This will be my new motto, "Time to get back to it or something like it." Sorta covers the waterfront, LOL.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for "Beck Diet Solution at work" - including calling ahead to determine organic veggie availability. As an Alaskan, do you intend to exercise your right to install a fish wheel? For a steady supply of fresh salmon. I'm drooling at the thought.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Unbelievable. I peeked and I can get myself a pair of True Religions for only $319. That would motivate me to control my snacks, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
At the Restaurant
Assess your food. Are vegetables glistening, even though you requested no butter or oil? Do veggies or starches taste richer than they do at home? If so, assume your special request was not granted, don't hesitate to send food back to the kitchen.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 05-03-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Hello Everyone

Finally feeling like I can breathe and get control of things again. With the anniversary party over and my desk at work pretty up to date I'm feeling more in control. Just finished my lunch of tuna lettuce wraps with raw veggies and it was very enjoyable.

Weighed and still maintaining around the same number. I've upped my exercise and did Zumba on Tuesday and last night after dinner felt like walking, used the treadmill as it was raining outside and found that by watching TV at the same time the minutes just flew by. It's sunny today, hoping it stays that way until after work and I'd really like to get out on my bike tonight.

I was thinking that I needed to figure out how to get more tracking done and in the shower this morning I had an "aha" moment. I have weeks of food plans that I followed over the last 8 months, I'm going to go back and see where my good loses were and recycle those plans. It always surprises me when I get good ideas standing under a stream of water!

fyreflie24 Yay for skinny jeans. When BBE mentioned the price for True Religion I thought I'd have to wear them everyday.

onebyone Good job on your to-do list and good luck on all your Key West plans.

Hi to Lexxiss, Gardenerjoy, Maryann, Hiker Girl, Catholic Cajun and anyone else lurking.

pamatga Miss your thoughts and wisdom here, hope things are going well.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #12  

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini...way-there.html

Most recent pix
d.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #13  
Green Tomatoes

Big leap in weight. I guess I'm going to have to accept that Jimmy John's is not an acceptable alternative to my normal lunch. Wishful thinking, there.

WI: +0.55 kgs, Exercise: +60 110/1400 minutes for May, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Great pix, Donamari!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:08 AM   #14  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Simple day. Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Walk, CREDIT moi, included a trip to the library.

Which resulted in starting to read an awful book, Girl on Fire, the second of the trilogy of The Hunger Games. I'm reading it because my DD read it and suggested that I would like it. I'm not so fond of teenagers killing each other and suffering under totalitarianism. And it's hard to identify with the great angst whether to kiss or not to kiss (Young Adult book). Fortunately, it's a rapid read so I won't burn a lot of time. It's hard to be in suspense weather the heroine is going to live when you know there's a third book in the series.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – hmmmmm ... Perhaps you have a point. A Jimmy John's Ultimate Poker sub is 734 calories and 1823 mg sodium. BBQ Chips adds 160 calories and 90 mg sodium. Two Raisin Oatmeal Cookies (who stops at one?) adds 840 cal and 940 mg. And a large coke add 396 cals and 24 mg. Would save the need to have dinner, LOL.

Tazzy - Sounds like a high class diet book, "tuna lettuce wraps with raw veggies." Yay for shower moments.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Congrats on 75% - neat pictures.

Readers -
Quote:
At the Restaurant
Portion off the extra. Before you take your first bite, separate the portion you are supposed to eat from the rest of the food on your plate. Estimate the size of your portion on the low side; there are likely to be some hidden calories in your food.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 148.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #15  

Height: 5'6"

Hi everyone! I'm still here, but the struggle continues. I just can't seem to get a grip on my eating. I've got my book, I've got my index cards and sticky notes, I've got everything I need, but I haven't been able to read the book, to implement it, to change anything. I'm so ashamed that I came in here all gung-ho, but still haven't been able to make the changes I've been wanting to make. I'm hoping it will happen in time, every day I seek to figure out what's wrong so I can move in a more productive direction, but seem to be coming up empty.

The semester is winding down, but I just enrolled in a summer class, so who knows what will happen.

In any case, I'm embarrassed, but I thought I'd at least check in so you would know that I didn't just disappear. I did get a change to read up until making the ARC's, so I'm going to do those today and move forward with the book.

I wish you all the best, everyone seems to be doing so well with Beck. I hope to get there in time.

Last edited by Cammie-Cam; 05-04-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Closed Thread