Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #106  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

A wild and crazy day, as someone used to say. We finally pulled everything out of the dining room and (mostly) hand sanded the old maple floor today. *credit* for not engaging in mindless munching, with the exception of 5 animal crackers. Exercise was 'aplenty. More than once in the 8 hours it took I spent moments feeling very grateful I am able to do this. It was not possible for me at the start of my journey, I could not get up off the floor once and did that probably 100 times today. It would have been a great excuse to call out for pizza but instead I'll go down and make our healthy one.*credit*

BillBlueEyes, welcome back! I hope you had an absolutely fantastic weekend away!

Woodland, welcome back!

CatholicCajun, I had an email buddy several years ago but that relationship was not long term even though we are still good "friends". I, too, prefer to keep my personal diet stuff out of my DH and my relationship. We spend much time together, too. Someone is always here and I try to be, too.

hikergirl, my usual smoothe always has: apple, beet, kale, ginger root, soy/whey free protein powder, a greens powder and sometimes I'll add carrot, cucumber or anything else that needs to be used. I rarely add any additional fruits with the exception of berries.

everyone else. I must get dinner. Work tomorrow and Tuesday then will figure out when to apply finish to the floor and move back in.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #107  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Thanks all, think I will not ask him to be my diet coach, it would just break his little heart if I had to fire him! Lol. I think I will just come here for advice and support. Had a lazy day off, got this sore throat from one of my managers, hope it does not get too bad. Have a blessed evening all.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #108  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation inexplicably achey.

Hi Coaches

I am a little off-kilter today. I feel very achey all over. I remember reading somewhere that not exercising sometimes causes your muscles to ache. I think that's my problem. Tomorrow I will attend my first water aerobics class with my new 3 month pass so hopefully I'll start to feel better physically once I get moving again. I felt great in Key West walking 2 hours almost every day. I haven't done any planned exercise since I got home March 1st.
Oh well. No point dwellng on the past. All I have to do is change that and I'll be again.

Foodwise I am also off. My weight watchers online membership got cancelled as the payment for it wasn't there and may not be there for a few weeks. So, now I am also reluctant to pay the $15.99 on Thursday for my weigh-in. In effect I am giving them $15.99 to stand on their scale, to get a pamphlet and to listen to a talk that is never anything new to me, but has more to do with reinforcing the notion that *I* am on a structured foodplan. It was worth the $ to me to do WW online and in person as I used the WW online tracker faithfully and often referred to their website throughout the day, each time reinforcing my foodplan to me. I have found my 3 month tracker book and have been writing my food and tallying my points in there the past 2 days. *credit*

I sure miss doing it online however... like I say, I have to wait a bit to renew online and part of me says: use the book, track your food there. Don't go to the meeting. Don't pay the $ just to get weighed. It'll make you mad (that does really get me angry btw - it's ok, like I say, with the online stuff, I value that/the two things together, but the in person meetings I find less than satisfying.) Anyway, not sure what to do. My tizzy got expressed through an ambivalence to track at all with my food today AND I set myself up for an impossible day by eating breakfast late, and then a large amount, taking up most of the days points, thereby causing me to tell myself I could not have any food at all for the rest of the day. By the time we left the house this afternoon I had 0 points left and it was only 2pm. (This is a crazy plan btw.)

I have also used up all my weekly points, so to be on plan today, I had to stick to the exact total of my allotted points per day. I didn't. I went over. Oh well.

My day is now coming to a close and my "official" weigh-in day isn't until this Thursday and I can turn this around right now. I have only had a handful of off-plan days since my committment to WW in mid November. *credit* I need to remember the successes and I need to continue to move forward with things whether I am weighing in at WW, or not, tracking online, or in a book with a pen or pencil while looking up the points in one of my many pamplets and booklets. I am sure that the meetings, which I don't really care for, and the payment of dollars every week, are not the reasons I have lost close to 30lbs. So, I may take this required time away to see how I handle not having those supports for now. I still have my coaches here for that and the all important Beck books. *credit for yous*

And I didn't weigh in this morning. Will do that when I get up tomorrow.

One great thing though; my local friend is lending me her spare bike so I can use it until her friend finds me a used bike during her garage sale expeditions which she does every week. I am willing to pay up to $50 for a used bike. My last one was $15. I plan to ride the bike over to the pool for my aquabics classes and then home. Or, maybe just ride the bike. *credit* for planning ahead for exercise this year.

Must go to bed. Very tired.
to all who post, and to the lurkers too.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #109  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Today my trend line for the year's weights is flat. It's been pointing steeply up most of the year. Keeping it mostly flat is probably a good goal from here on out.

WI: NC in kgs, Exercise:+60 650/1400 minutes for March, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Lexxiss: I'm impressed that you didn't order a pizza for a day of sanding floors. Yay!

CatholicCajun: sending healing energies for that throat!

onebyone: Seconding this: I need to remember the successes and I need to continue to move forward with things whether I am weighing in at WW, or not, tracking online, or in a book with a pen or pencil while looking up the points in one of my many pamplets and booklets. Remember that you've been doing great -- persist in victory!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #110  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I spent the entire Maine weekend eating on plan, CREDIT moi - the best away from home on plan performance since my weight losing days. It was restaurant or cafeteria served food for all meals. I avoided all desserts, an extra CREDIT moi since they were the specialties; I left food on my plate, including scalloped potatoes dripping with yummy, and avoided the caloric beverages. And best, most unscheduled time was spent with friends around much snack foods and dark chocolates of which I ate NOT ONE SINGLE BITE just to demonstrate to myself that I could exercise my resistance-muscle when away from home.

Exercise included my Boot Camp at gym before I left on Friday, and some walking, and two Yoga sessions over the weekend - CREDIT moi for continuing to try to get these muscles into working order.

onebyone – Looking forward to seeing your garden ornament robot once it's fired. Kudos for jumping through all the hoops so you have your hands on a bicycle and are headed off to your water aerobics. Wish you well in figuring out what you want from WW.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at your Saint Patrick's day kiwi - yep, it's green after all. When you go to Ireland will you be tracking down the paths of James Joyce and Beckett? (Good grief, your head must be spinning over the number of writers you could chase down.) Yay for "mostly flat."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Amazing that you could sit through breakfast having only hot tea - certainly Kudos for that. Awesome that you spent eight hours hand sanding your maple floors - you are one Energizer Bunny.

Beverlyjoy – Oh, Well - you and your new GI systems need to learn about each other. Kudos for your dinner of 22 minutes.

maryann - Yep, some days seem to call for "piddle around with errands" despite grand intentions. Yay for sauteed cabbage - I love a mounded plate of cabbage.

Tazzy - And now I'm drooling over "poached lobster omelet" - you're making Kudos worthy restaurant choices. Especially like the frozen yogurt at home rather than restaurant desserts. Triple Kudos for being aware that food does not resolve teenage drama.

Woodland - Love your list of Sabotaging Thoughts, "I'll start again on Monday", "I don't care", "I can't control this", "Food just tastes so good", "It is too much trouble to follow a plan" - you've created them all, LOL. Kudos for planning for tomorrow.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Congratulations for sticking to your plan to not track your weight - I couldn't do that. Kudos for continuing with your 40 day Yoga Challenge. I did two sessions of Yoga this weekend, just enough to remind myself that it's regular sessions that get the body working well.

Susan (hikergirl) – Kudos for sticking to your plans at the restaurant - Ouch for the hard candies. I, too, am wondering how useful you found the Cheat Sheet exercise. Yay for "a good day over all," and Double Yay for 5 days with no compulsive over eating.

CatholicCajun – Glad you've already made your choice about not using your DH as Diet Coach. I use the good guys of this forum as mine; I use my DW for shared food, nutrition, and health interests, but I don't want to muddy our relationship with discussing or cheering my daily performance. Love the idea of using our non-dominant hand to slow down our eating - I might starve to death since I'm very clumsy using my left hand, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
After the Event
12. Review the experience. ...
Stage 3 will bring lots of opportunities to create Memory Cards as you use your resistance muscle and feel good about staying in control. Maybe one will describe attending a social gathering and finding you enjoy yourself more than before because you aren't worrying about what you can and can't eat. Perhaps you'll create on when you feel triumphant instead of deprived because you didn't succumb to the high-calorie appetizers at a cocktail party. You might make a Memory Card when you leave a social event feeling elated and proud that you stuck to your plan - instead of feeling heavy, defeated, and sad because you didn't.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 137.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #111  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday went really well. I followed my plan and my sabotaging thoughts were nowhere to be heard from. It was a huge relief. I ate within my units, and I was not hungry. Exercise was cleaning the house and I even did the shower walls. It feels great to know I can recover from a major slip.

Are any of you on Google+ ? It is a social networking site similar to Facebook. Anyway, I am, and I follow the Beck Institute. The post information from workshops, videos, pictures and the like. PM me if you want more information on how to join or how to use it.

Gardenerjoy: Thanks for the welcome. I agree, this is a great place to belong to.

hikergirl: I don't know about catching it early, but I'm glad to be doing better. I went up a few pants sizes in the process and feel like a balloon or two has been expanded around my body. But most important - I felt like I was out of my mind because of all the excuses I used and believed.

Lexxiss: I'm glad to be here, thanks ! Good for you not taking the easy pizza route and for the home improvement you got for all your hard labor.

onebyone: Glad you got the bike to ride. Credits to you as you search out what diet plan makes the most sense to your thinking.

BillBlueEyes: Your weekend efforts sound exceptional ! You thought like a thin person which allowed you to act in kind. Great job !
Old 03-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #112  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Food was not planned yesterday but not outrageous.Yoga for exercise. All I do is write right now and help DS. It is getting tiring but I know the end goal of a MFA is worth it.
Today food is tracked. I need to write everyday after school to mail by Thursday. Then I have a massage and a pedicure planned for a treat Good to have non food related treats waiting.

I didn't catch up on posts but it is good to hear from Woodland.

BBE: I can't believe you just went to Maine. My girlfriend and I just started planning a trip for after summer school in Vermont. We are going to Arcadia national Park down through Hwy1 to Portland and fly out of Manchester. Any tips?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #113  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Morning all. Did good with the eating yesterday. Had a relaxing day off. I am "off" today, have the house all to myself and have a list of things to do. So far have eaten breakfast when hungry, ate slowly, stopped when full and ate sitting down. So far 3 +'s for the day. Have a blessed day.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #114  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Good morning everyone,

Weekend food wise was pretty good, weight has been up for a couple days but I know that's because I had waffles for dinner on Friday night and popcorn later, neither of those being very "low-carb" friendly! But I'm sticking to my plan and will continue going, after all it's just a number and it's still below 170 which is my wake-up call number. Still dealing with lots of stress over my 17 year old step-son and some of his recent decisions so happy to report that food has not been involved in all the emotions.

I didn't get to Zumba on the weekend as my favorite instructor was not going to be there. I did get out for two long walks, Sat I got 63 minutes of aerobic walking in and Sun I got 46 minutes. Love my new pedometer for tracking that. I used it last week in Zumba and only got 21 minutes of aerobic activity.

onebyone Sorry to hear about your WW online program. Being that you like an online program is there another one you could try out? I've read posts about sites like sparkpeople.com, fitday.com and fatsecret.com but I have never looked into them too closely. I prefer to do my tracking with pen and paper, probably also has something to do with the fact that I have an old cell phone that only makes phone calls and not a fancy new smart phone that does everything

BBE Big credit for all your success over the weekend. You really show that this can be a lifestyle change and all the Beck skills can carry you in these situations.

fyreflie24 Credit for continuing on your plan of 40 days of yoga. I'm not sure how you are handling not weighing yourself. I always feel that I need to do that everyday just to keep myself in check.

Need to get to work here, hello to everyone else!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #115  

Height: 5'6"

Hello,
Yes, it is time to put some items on the “Memory List”.
1. I am proud of myself, I feel grounded/calm, and can focus on things other than food (compulsively overeating and the up and down cycle it brings me). 6 days! I cannot remember when this last happened and it feels sooooooooo good.

Bye for now.

Catholiccajun – wonderful foundation for the day ahead!
MaryAnn – credit to you for have a decent unplanned day.
Woodland – I can sense the good energy.
BBE – good that you are back and thank you for the reminder about Memory Cards and Memory Lists. Wow, your forum post reads like an advertisement for the success that Cognitive Behaviour Therapy/Beck can provide. I am inspired.
Onebyone - my “credits” to you!
Lexxis – thanks for the very interesting smoothie combination
Old 03-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi! The past few days have been mostly healthy - I am always grateful for that. I have been struggling in the evening.

Yesterday I had many credits:
Planned/measured/logged
Read my cards & Beck
No seconds
Ate seated mostly
Was very mindful of eating slower and tasting the food
Journaling
Meditation
Weighed (down 2 to 204, one pound away from lowest pre-surgery weight of 203)
Fork down between bites - some of the time
Slow, mindful, tasting the food meals - three meals were nearly twenty minutes long.

Not helpful - ate some of dh’s candy, did no exercise, was not willing to use resistance techniques at the end of the day (DH’s candy - I did resist for hours)

It’s important to keep my home environment friendly. I do it. But, DH loves candy and is constantly bringing home. It is so tempting and hard. This morning I put it in the trash and doused it with liquid dish soap. He’s kind of used to me doing it… but, he still brings it in the house. He is helpful in every other way but this. I feel like he is being an ‘enabler’. We go out on to eat and he always gets desert & I get a bite. We go out to the DQ where I get a No Sugar Added Fudge Bar & he get’s the traditional foods. His cholesterol & blood sugar is fine. It’s just frustrating. Dr. Beck suggests saying: ‘It would be so helpful to me if……’ I’ve done it and it may last for a week. Maybe it’s my problem that I have a to just learn to stay out of his candy. Sigh.

I have to remind myself that just because DH can eat something - doesn't mean that I get to eat what he eats. Not fair....oh well.

DH did, however, put the Girl Scout cookies in his car - without my prompting.

hiker girl - I was reminded of the memory box yesterday - thanks for doing it again.

Tizzy - kudo’s for staying out of the food when faced with the stresses that often come with our children.

Cajun Catholic - you are off to a great start. Carry on.

Maryann - unplanned food in healthy amounts is a real credit. Yoga too. Great!

Woodland
- glad to hear you’ve you’ve been covering your bases. I follow Beck on Facebook, not Google, however. It’s nice to see you again.

Onebyone - sorry to hear of the WW paying dilemma. Do what’s best for yourself & what you think will be the most helpful.

Billbe - I am doing a happy dance in honor of you staying OP while away this weekend. AWESOME! Exercise too… yay. Glad you had a good time.

Lexxiss/Debbie
- it is wonderful that you can see the difference in how you can do and approach things as opposed to before. It’s concrete - good. (just forget about the cookies and carry on!!!)

Fyreflie
- Good to see you! Wonderful credits with your yoga and mindfullness. Carry on.

gardener/joy - congrats on reaching 165. YAY!! Pat yourself on the back - it's alot of hard work and you should shout it from the rooftops (or tell us here. lol)

Hope you are all doing well.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-19-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #117  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

A quick check in...it was a long day at work and I have dinner on the stove. It's been a good Beck day, so far. I weighed, have stuck with my written plan and have resisted many goodies at work. I got offered birthday cake several time and later the owner shared her ingredients in the birthday pies. One was acceptable and so I brought a thin slice home for dinner. credit for not eating it there...I know I would have had a bigger piece.

BBE, kudos on such mindful eating during your mini vacation!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #118  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

Hey!

Remember, I might not be weighing myself, but SOMEONE is LOL! My nutritionist, so it's not like I'm running totally blind; she kinda gives me an idea if I'm on the right track.

So we've worked on Mindefulness, Vitality (breath) and this week is Equanimity... this will be the challenge week LOL! This 100% Italian has a rough time with the staying level part

My nutritionist is actually incorporating the Beck materials into her program! How cool huh?

So glad to hear how well everyone is doing!

Keep it up and I'll try to get caught up soon. Nameste
Old 03-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #119  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Default Monday

Hi Everyone,

I had a good day and followed my plan. Exercise was riding my recumbent bike, and lots of walking in town. I ate some different food because of the trip to town, but I still counted the units and stayed in my range.

I went to a thrift store to pick up a few pairs of shorts that were larger than I have in my closet. I decided I wanted to be comfortable and not punish myself for the weight I've gained. Last weekend I organized my clothes and made S/M/L piles of pants. I think it helped me look at the situation honestly, objectively, and removed some of the shame of how my emotional issues impacted my body.

=-=-=-=-=

maryann: Thanks for the nice welcome. I hope the walnut farming is going well for your husband this year. We are building a greenhouse, so hopefully gardening will be awesome here.

CatholicCajun: Credit for listening to hunger messages.

Tazzy: Your exercises over the weekend sound wonderful ! My MIL does Zumba and loves it.

hikergirl: Agree - it is wonderful to focus on other things. Compulsive overeating takes up way too much brain space !

Beverlyjoy: I kind of figured Beck was also on Facebook. Glad you follow there - the information is probably very similar. Your house candy situation sounds challenging. I think I'd try to remove some of its power by assigning it a calorie level. If I want it I have to be honest and record the results, and remind myself that I had to give up the calories from more nutritious food for it. Treats are ok but in moderation and with accountability. That's what I've tried and when I'm doing well it worked well.

Lexxiss: Super credit for how you handled the plan changes.

fyreflie24: Nice to meet you. I am enjoying hearing about your journey.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #120  
Green Tomatoes

A strange day with multiple appointments, a meal and a snack outside of the house, and an impossible to do list. But it's all good.

WI: +0.6 kgs, Exercise:+35 685/1400 minutes for March, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I'm currently reading James Joyce's Dubliners, but can't say it's turning me into a fan. The most fun part has been marking the passages with place names I recognize because we'll be passing by them in real life. I'm going to Ireland for the gardens! We're going on a tour led by the new director of the botanical garden and his wife who are from Ireland. We have a unique itinerary including a number of private gardens and some hiking about to seek native flora.

maryann: I think it's great to have an unplanned day now and then and prove to myself that I don't have to slip into outrageous. The plan is a great tool and I use it nearly all of the time, but it's nice to know that I can do well without it, too.

CatholicCajun: good job starting the day with three credits!

Tazzy: that's a great amount of exercise for the weekend, even without the Zumba. Go you!

hikergirl: yay for six days! And for taking a moment to celebrate it!

Beverlyjoy: The "It would help if..." conversation works well with my husband, too, but I don't think his memory lasts even a week! Would it be possible or helpful to designate a place for his candy that isn't one you normally see?

Lexxiss: great job working the pie into the plan in a way that works for you!

fyreflie24: The equinox is a good time for equanimity.

Woodland: good job working through the clothes thing. I just posted in the clothes thread at 3FC because I realized that getting to goal weight has not solved all my problems with fashion. I'm not sure why I thought it would. My body stayed the same proportionally, and my fashion sense didn't automatically increase as the scale decreased!
Closed Thread