Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #61  

Height: 5'6"

Oh, one more thing. While I do not have an IPAD/tablet, or a smart phone---is there an ipad/tablet application for Beck Diet? I have searched the internet and cannot find one. I thought that I would check with you folks.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #62  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello all. I am new to the Beck Diet Solution. Actually on day 2. Ok, so I got the index cards, made my list of reasons to lose weight. I even got a holder to keep the cards in so I don't have to worry about losing them. I do have a question. Did any of you do the diet and back up diet plan? I am following Intuitive Eating, this is the only plan I would like to follow, so I was wondering how many of you did the main one and the back up one. It seems to me and maybe I am wrong, but it almost seems like you are setting yourself up for failure if the first one does not work, anyway was just wondering.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hello Everyone!

Had a pretty good weekend OP. Weighed, did not read my cards (seems to be a weekday thing), ate slowly, mindfully mostly and did my food plan. Got to Zumba on Sunday, sure need to get my exercise up again, have really been slipping with that. I just got home from a 30 minute walk and on my new pedometer it tracks aerobic steps as well so when I take at least 60 steps per minute it counts to that. Got 27 minutes of aerobic walking so I'm really happy with that. It also nice with the time change that it's still so light out as I can go after dinner with lots of time in daylight.

I did have a McDonald's shamrock shake on the weekend, it was planned for, last time I remember having one was in the 80's. Wow, somethings really do stay around for a long time. And the funny part was I remembered it tasting much better than it really did! So I should be good for another 30 years before I have another one. I had one unplanned trip into a box of cookies when I was frustrated with DH, not that it bothered him that I was eating the cookies.

I have decided that I need to have a new goal to work towards as I'm just coasting along here not doing too much. So last night I thought of what I would like it to be. I turn 50 in June (eeekkkk!!) and I would like to weigh less than 160 and be in the 50's at 50. It doesn't look like much with the weight my ticker is at now but I'm about 4 pounds above that so ideally I'd like to lose at least 10 pounds by June 24. So there it is in black and white and will be read by all of you! I'll add another small ticker to my signature to track it also.

CatholicCajun to the board and the world of Beck. I did have 2 diet plans in place when I started Beck last August. Calorie counting was my main plan and Weight Watchers was my back up. I am now following more of an Atkins approach but I know I can use either of the others for back up. I don't think you are setting yourself up for failure by having a back up, not every program works for every person and it has to be more of a lifestyle change that you can see yourself working with in the future.

hikergirl Welcome to you as well. I know what you mean about howling winds, not sure what area of BC you are in but I'm in Calgary and with all this lovely warm weather comes the chinook winds and they are really blowing right now. Just happy they are not blowing all the snow with them.

maryann Hope your day went well and the lack of sleep did not cause any problems. I like your "sleep is not an emergency" card, I have one very similar that says "hunger" is not an emergency.

BBE Credits for inadvertently missing your snacks and doing the skip a meal experiment. And also a big thanks for being so committed to keeping this thread going each and every day!

onebyone Credit for getting back on track now that you are home. Hopefully the scale adjusts from your travels. It took me about a week for things to get back to usual.

Lexxiss Hope your dinner out resulted in healthy choices!

Time to go and watch some reality TV, at least I got my exercise in first. Have a good night everyone.

PS - Glad I copied this as the server kicked me out 3 times.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #64  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up it was a better day.

Coaches

Just a short check-in tonight.

I can't say for sure how often I fought off the urge/desire/sabotaging thought to eat a sweet thing today. It seemed everywhere I went I was all of a sudden planning in my head to get a coffee and a ____. In the end I did buy the coffee but not the sweet thing.
credit. moi.

I weighed in on my wii ft and saw a -2lbs show up. Back under 265: 264.4. Thank goodness. I was very unhappy over that 265 mark yesterday. I am so close to have 0 extra points for the week that I really needed to tow the line and I did. I also managed to get my 2hr walk in, though it was a combo of shopping and looking around the historical site I will be using for inspiration for an artwork. I saw quite a few interesting things at the site that could suggest ideas for prints, which is what I am committed to making for them. In the consultation/examination/minor surgery room of the historic site were three sets of tools/blades, each set progressively smaller, for the purposes of amputation. There was a blood letting set and tongs which removed tonsils. On the wall was a price chart for various services provided by the dr. I took a picture of it for examination at home. This doctor stuff is by far the most prominent thing in this historical site. The sheer *drama* inherent in it is hard to match with the other normal everyday goings-on of the household itself. I don't want to forget that the life of the country doctor was supported by his wife and kids too. No man is an island after all. Anyway, *credit* to the builder of Hillary House for making a house with lots of stairs and great big rooms whoch provided a visitor 149 years and 10 months later with some physical exercise tramping through its hallways, staircases, and across the well-worn floors.

to everyone and a hello to CatholicCajun *welcome* and hikergirl too.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #65  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm back!

We were on an adventure -- a trip to Kansas City (everything's up to date there!). We had a good time seeing all the sites, especially the new Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, designed by Moshe Safdie. Quite impressive. Of course, to really appreciate the architecture we had to see a show in each of the two venues -- the Chieftains 50th anniversary tour on Wednesday and the modern opera Nixon in China on Saturday. Both fun and both very different from each other. Amazing acoustics.

Now that I've publicly connected my gardenerjoy persona to my blog with my real name, I'm hesitant to proclaim that we're leaving town. Of course, I trust everyone who posts here and the known lurkers (hi silverbirch and Woodland!), but there could be complete strangers about as well. The next time you suspect I'm on an adventure, I'll be in Ireland (thus the Chieftains concert).

Food was reasonable given the relaxed constraints of vacation. A refrigerator in the room made it easier to eat half of what I was served. We ate the last of various leftovers on the drive home, negating the need for the one McDonald's stop we still occasionally make -- on the way home from a trip. I had some really wonderful meals and I did not miss washing dishes! We managed to make a home-cooked meal, including vegetables, when we got home with no trip to the grocery store. But I'll have to go shopping in the morning.

Congrats BillBlueEyes on 5 years of maintenance! Awesome! And so inspiring!

Welcome CatholicCajun and welcome back hikergirl!

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 03-13-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #66  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Welcome CatholicCajun

CatholicCajun

And, in case you didn't get this 3+ years ago,

How did you hear about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 03-13-2012, 05:38 AM   #67  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

A brief check-in...I am amidst printing miles of annual reports and had to download adobe on the new computer in order to complete the task. I need to sign off the internet now. credit for weighing while downloading. I had another great food day at work, a healthy and meatless dinner then ate an unplanned snack later. ouch. I had been thinking earlier about going to bed early because I was tired and instead watched a movie.

BBE, superb day! credit! Haven't heard of a mute swan before...thanks for my educational moment this morning.

onebyone, credit! for recognizing what you need to do to get through the rest of your week with your points and resisting all sweets!

hikergirl, welcome back! I have a not so smart phone...no apps here.

CajunCatholic, I do have 2 plans...my first is South Beach Diet and my second is calorie counting. I find that several times a year I go to my second plan and count for awhile. I try to make sane decisions recognizing that my brain isn't very intuitive around food.

Tazzy, yay for setting a new goal!

gardenerjoy, great trip with continued thoughtful choices! Glad you had fun.

MaryAnn, hope you are feeling better! I use my Beck train of thought for other things, too.

Ok, must get back to paperwork....I have to go get paid to exercise this morning. Lunch is already packed.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:57 AM   #68  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Another good resistance muscle day, CREDIT moi, just for living my plan for the day. How easy could it get, LOL. The big deal for me is sticking to one serving of fruit for my evening snack - last night was half a kiwi - instead of supplementing it with an orange or two and an unmeasured bowl of seedless grapes. I fought the grapes by . . . drum roll . . . not buying any at the supermarket on Saturday. It's easier to not eat grapes that aren't there.

Did gym, CREDIT moi. The class I intended to take wasn't held so I'm headed back today. I work harder in a class than I do on my own, which annoys me no end. Methinks I should be able to motivate myself in isolation. Working out alone goes well when there are specific numbers like a chest press with dumbbells of xx pounds. But the aerobic stuff working all the little muscles works better for me in a class.

onebyone – Yay for plenty of exercise in a 149.10 year old house. Kudos for having your coffee without pastry, especially since coffee shops sell stuff with lots of butter.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I'm jealous that you got to see Nixon in China - I happened to be in Houston the day it opened, but wasn't able to go (don't even know if tickets would have been possible). Sounds like you used your time well. Neat idea to use your hotel fridge to help manage your restaurant portion sizes.

maryann - Gonna remember that one, "Sleep is not an emergency." Particularly when there's something I'm supposed to do and find bed time a good reason to stop.

Tazzy - LOL at "not that it bothered him that I was eating the cookies" - it's always that way. McDonald's shake was my comfort food at the airport after a particularly difficult business trip I had to take periodically. I don't know if they were tasty - they were comforting.

Susan (hikergirl) – Yay for "Being gentle on myself." Wish we had all been taught that as kids. Can't help you with an iPad application for Beck stuff.

CatholicCajun – Neat to be so organized that you've got your Advantage Cards in a holder. Since you mention day 2, does that mean you're reading the pink book (Beck's second book, the green book, uses Stages rather than days)?

I've used the same home grown eating plan since I've been doing Beck; it fits my life, including that my evening meal is designed and prepared by my DW at which I use portion control. I added Calorie Counting as my backup plan in case I find myself wandering and in need of a more rigorous approach. It feels more like a safety net than a setup for failure. Glad you've joined us on this thread.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
At the Event
10. Give yourself credit. Praise yourself at the moment for every positive eating behavior you use and for each instance of resisting unplanned food that tempts you.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 136.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 03-14-2012 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #69  
I am more than weight.

Thank you all so much for the advice and the welcome! I am using the pink book, did not there was a green book. Am getting ready to read day 3, peeked at it last night and I think it's about eating standing up, something I RARELY do! The only time I do it is if I am at work, I am by myself in one of my stores and I have customers looking around and I am starving, then I will take my lunch up front and eat standing up, but I avoid this if possible. Have a blessed day all!!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #70  
I am more than weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
CatholicCajun

And, in case you didn't get this 3+ years ago,

How did you hear about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
I was googeling for books that "change your thinking to lose weight" or some words to that effect and found the Beck Diet, I have been on 3FC for awhile and saw the thread under this title so thought I would join in.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #71  

Height: 5'6"

Hello on this Tuesday morning. I just read your posts and I must say that it is such a positive read. Supportive. No wonder everyone has such great stats. Slow and steady wins the race is what I read here. Slow and steady is not one of my attributes when it comes to food and it is what is needed for me. This thread is a good place to be. This kind of a change cannot come happen immediately.

You all sound as if you have wonderfully rich lives in each of your own special ways.

Yesterday:
Read my advantages
Read my responses
Gave myself credit
Got moving spontaneously
Identified hunger vs non hunger
I got back on track
I contacted my diet buddy (3 fat chicks!)

Need to work on:
Weigh myself
Eating slowly, sitting, enjoying every bite
Got moving planned
Tolerating hunger and non-hunger without eating
Recognizing fullness 20 min after eating
Stopped eating when my food was gone
Calmed down before I ate
Fill in my food plan chart
Followed my plan precisely
I used resistance techniques
Fill in cheat sheet
Old 03-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #72  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile hindsight kicked in right after I did it

Hi Coaches

We made food last night and there were leftovers *credit* and I opted to have them for breakfast today. I made a conscious decision not to check my food tracker to see how many ww points that food was. I just ate it all up. And in hindsight, which kicked in right after I ate the thing, I would not have used up 2/3 of my daily allotment on this food. I would have, in fact, thrown it away.

Oh well.

I weighed in this morning on the wii fit *credit* to see 263.9. OK, great. I have 2 days until my official weigh-in. This number can keep going down thank you very much.

But in order to do this, and with my high points food this morning, I have to be careful for the rest of the day. Lucky for me I have wonderful soup in the fridge so I'll load it up with extra veggies and that will take care of the food part of the day. the exercsie part has to happen as well. I am actually thinking of a walk outdoors *gasp*. If I don't do that by the time DH gets home from work, then it is bouncing time on my mini-trampoline. And I need to drink some water today. That's been really lacking.

Not much else to say about the day.

Bye for now.

update: no exercise today but stayed to my foodplan. Still have to drink some water but that isn't so tough. Pretty good day: 90% I'd say.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-13-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #73  
Green Tomatoes

I got a nice weight loss from my vacation. That's normal for me now, credit!

I eat lots of new and different things, but I'm always aware of portion sizes and frequently leave food on the plate and/or take some back to the room. We make breakfast using foods from home and eat it in the room -- I reduced my breakfast size and skipped several snacks in order to compensate for all the hidden calories that can be lurking in restaurant meals. Of course, making use of the beautiful exercise room and walking a lot as a tourist helped as well.

WI: -1.75kgs, Exercise:+0 445/1400 minutes for March, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 03-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #74  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did my gym class, CREDIT moi, right after I reported here yesterday morning. There were only three of us so it was nearly a personal training session. While balancing on one foot I noticed that the little muscles in my feet need some work. Another place where the small muscles show their importance.

Food was spot on, CREDIT moi. I had my normal sabotaging thoughts that a little trail mix would do wonders for my constitution. My constitution replied with NO CHOICE and continued. Evening snack was half a mango which fits my plan. Again, no supplements. And a small nit: I'd fallen into the habit of swiping the peanut butter off the knife with my fingers and then into my mouth using the logic that I'd taken the proper serving on the knife and so was eating on plan. I've decided that's erroneous logic as well as bad giving-in muscle support. So, the peanut butter goes on the toast or back in the container and the knife gets washed immediately - small CREDIT moi. Part of my reasoning was that our dishwasher does poorly on the peanut butter on a knife. Eating it wasn't the only solution - duh!

onebyone – Kudos for hindsight - as better than being oblivious. Yay for the plan to walk outdoors. We sat out on the patio for a spell before dinner - our first time out on the patio for the year.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Super Kudos for having vacation weight loss as your norm - that's such a good sign that your current eating plan is just ... you.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – LOL at the multi-tasking - weighing while downloading Adobe.

Susan (hikergirl) – Yep, "Slow and steady" seems to work best for me, also; although I still find myself having this fantasy of going to a fat ranch for a year to have perfect meals prepared and no other food available. It's a fantasy about getting away from the continuous stream of food appearing before my eyes.

CatholicCajun – Terrific if you've got a head start by not eating standing up. I thought that I didn't, but discovered, to my horror, that I nibbled from my plate even as I carried it from the stove to the kitchen table.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
After the Event
11. Prepare for rebound desire. You also have to prepare to follow your plan after each challenging situation. Some dieters unravel when they get home and reward themselves for having been "so good." After Jan went to dinner with friends, she felt triumphant. While her friends consumed about 1,500 calories each, Jan stuck to her plan, stayed in control, and didn't become influenced by what the others were eating. On the way home, she told herself, Look at all the calories I could have eaten and didn't! When she got home, however, sabotaging thoughts kicked in. I was so controlled tonight ... I deserve to have something else ... What can I have that would be healthy? She at a banana, some nuts, and two cheese sticks over the next hour and a half. It didn't seem like much, but these extra snacks put her over her daily calorie goal by several hundred calories - which slowed her weight loss and strengthened her giving-in muscle.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 136.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #75  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckies - I am four weeks past my surgeries and one week home from visiting my family in another state. I got on the scale and it appears that I have gained three pounds from my lowest presurgery weight. I am at peace with it and am finally ready to do the 'work' that comes with healthful eating and losing weight again. I am three pounds above my ticker weight - I'll give myself a couple of weeks to get this off. If I don't by then... I'll change my ticker.

I just wasn't 'ready' to get with the 'program' until now. I am ready now. I am grateful that it's just three pounds. Isn't that silly - but, it's true.

As always, thanks for all of your support.
Closed Thread