Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 05:01 AM   #31  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Good session at the gym, CREDIT moi. I picked up three of the four sets of dumbbells that I needed from the wrong locations and returned them to the proper locations after using them. I envy those folks whose brains compose operas or write great novels while working out; my brain wants to quit tiring out the muscles unless I let it amuse itself with reordering the weight rack, LOL. I added back into my routine two exercises that I had dropped because I didn't need them anymore - now, of course, I do.

Food on plan, CREDIT moi. I had the urge to get my fist into something in the afternoon so had a rare afternoon cup of coffee instead.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – We will think of you when you're not posting. Hope you're off to an adventure.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – LOL at "WF mystery carrot cake" - you don't seem to have absorbed their advertised image of themselves. [Thanks for Celtics - we Red Sox fans need such diversion.]

Beverlyjoy – Yay for having fun with GS. Kudos for getting the memo pad for your purse.

maryann - Yay for the blue maiden rescued by a "green eyed smoothie" - perhaps the theme of your next children's book, LOL.

Tazzy - Kudos for marching forth into the week - the weekend is so yesterday.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Love the quote that includes, "Aren't I a fascinating being?" Do you think perhaps Beck is a yogi?

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Before the Event
6. Imagine the aftermath. In Stage 1, you learned how to imagine the aftermath of a craving: the negative thoughts and feeling you would have after you gave in to a specific craving versus the positive thoughts and feeling you would have if you stood firm. Do the same with a challenging situation as a whole.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 135.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 03-07-2012 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #32  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

It's a work and travel day here, but first to check in with everyone. I resisted many food items at work yesterday. credit. Last eve, I reflected on what a success this is day in and day out. My journey is made easier. I'll weigh this morning and take my lunch with me. I still need to plan our evening meal on the other side...ah, I just figured it out. I already have a great salad made and I'll take some frozen homemade lentil soup.

Gotta run...take care everyone!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #33  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation Tuesday fuzziness

Hello Coaches

The new kitty is sleeping on my lap, mostly on top of my knee, right now. Last night she perched on my chest to sleep, while Caesar slept on my arm. They were about 4" apart from nose to nose. I, of course, can report this as I was awake. It is odd having a cat who is deaf. We can't call her. If she hides we can't call to her to come out. We can't call her to eat. She has to actually see us, or come find us, if she wants something. She completely misses all of Caesar's vocalizations to her, good and bad. And when she sleeps, nothing wakes her up. Nothing! I have no idea how she survived on the beach, in the sand dunes, by the Atlantic Ocean. She must have had a series of angels stepping in from time to time. She has been teaching Caesar some cat-like behaviours he never did before, mostly climbing onto things and getting into things, he never cared about until he saw her do it. She's 1/2 his size so it isn't always a success for him.

Ok, let's talk about the food. I'm kind of a wreck right now. I suppose it's to be expected. My re-adjustment to the everyday is so/so, and I have been so/so tracking my food, and all that walking I did in KW has come to a complete stop. I have been weighing in *credit* The last two days the wii fit said 261.2 and today it said 261.8. *credit* as well for cooking from scratch yesterday and for having one small bowl of stuff and lots of very yummy leftovers for today. *creditx2* for remembering that I have a goal to be under 260. Somehow, after reaching my 10% and the 25lbs off milestones a week ago it's like I also thought *phew, I'm done* and I have been steadily loosening the reins more and more everyday-which is what is "bad" (lack of a better word here) about the WW program, in that I can make any food work within the guidelines if I track it, but a frosted cinnamon roll from a coffee shop, or a large muffin, really can't be my norm. And if I have one, I only want more and more (much like the recent observations here about sugar begetting sugar cravings).

Ok. Time to go.

Have a good afternoon everyone

Last edited by onebyone; 03-06-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

The day, I would say, was a success with the kids. Then of course was the staff meeting afterwards. I promised myself, double promised myself that I wouldn't speak. I go into a downward spiral after a meeting that I have spoken in, compulsively analyzing everything I have said and brutally judging it. Even after the double promise, I spoke but just once. Now I am home and trying to find space in my heart to allow myself a small voice. Usually self criticism drives me to food. Tonite at home I have not overindulged - credit. I know I will find away out of the job jungle I am in. There is a light>

What did Fyreflie say? It is a chance to observe myself as a fascinating being.

Last edited by maryann; 03-06-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone,

Got through yesterday only eating 3 cookies and that's because that was the last of them. Weighed today and stayed the same. Read my cards this morning. When I wanted something sweet tonight I had stewed rhubarb and strawberries instead. It seems to be my go to dessert right now.

onebyone - I can relate to how you feel about completing your goes and sliding back in your habits, I feel like I'm doing the same thing. I was so focused on getting to 165 for the cruise that since I've been home I have not really been doing much else and I have another 15 to go. I also think I'm a little freaked out about being so close to goal and actually achieving this. Glad to hear the cats are getting along, I missed the post about the new one being deaf.

Hello to everyone else.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:26 AM   #36  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I did walk (CREDIT moi) to the polls to vote in the Super Tuesday presidential primary - for the sheer joy of exercising my rights as a U.S. citizen to do so, even though the results in my state were so thoroughly assumed that no candidate ran so much as a single advertisement.

Was 100% on my eating plan, CREDIT moi, including an evening event with both walking appetizers and a table with raw veggies and exotic cheeses. The appetizers included 'hamburgers' the size of a U.S. quarter - yes, really tiny - with a tasty salsa. Now that's the proper portion for serving red meat. I let the appetizers serve as my dinner and went on with life.

onebyone – Kudos for facing your re-adjustment, posting, and "cooking from scratch" - it's a big transition worthy of fighting your way through. Neat that the new kitty if finding its niche

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Drooling over "homemade lentil soup."

maryann - That's a neat success: to speak up, to live with yourself afterwards, and to not overindulge - Kudos.

Tazzy - Goodbye cookies - welcome stewed rhubarb and strawberries. Moving on.

Readers -
Quote:
Before the Event
6. Imagine the aftermath. ...
Immediately before you enter the challenging situation, imagine leaving it, having eaten too much. Can you see yourself feeling weak and defeated? Disappointed in yourself? Fearful of what the scale will show tomorrow? Unhappy about what you did? No longer confident in your abilities to lose excess weight and keep it off?

Old 03-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #37  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Bill: I wouldn't be surprised if Beck was into yoga... I might actually be able to find that out!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #38  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches

I had a failure to resist a snack that comes in a bag last night. I did *credit* keep it to one handful and a bit. I turned and walked away from it at that point knowing this stuff can only make things worse/feel bad/make me crave more. I'll take another *credit* here for that. Tracked my food today. Weigh in tomorrow at my WW meeting. I have no expectation of weightloss given I havent done any walking this week, nor have I avoided salty things thereby inducing bloating. We'll see.

Must go. Very sleepy. will report in tomorrow with my results, good or not as good. G'night.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:53 AM   #39  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - For exercise I did a different class at the gym, "Strength Fusion" (CREDIT moi), in my effort to reach muscles I've been ignoring; that it did. I'm pleased with myself for doing this but have to fight a tendency to just bash myself for drifting out of shape (or for not having been in the shape I fantasize). The class contained a bunch of young things who did the stepping parts smoothly while floating in air; I did better with the weights, but not anywhere near what I thought I would be able to do over the time period demanded. I'm a fan of heavy weights done briefly.

For the fifth straight night, due to an unusual convergence of activities, dinner wasn't cooked at home. I walked (CREDIT moi) to a favorite Greek place and got their veggie combo plate as a takeout. To stay on plan for the day, I ignored the pita bread - not that difficult since it's a rather bland pita bread and I'm a sucker for those artisan breads with extra salt, butter, and grill marks LOL.

onebyone – Ouch for snacks in a bag with Kudos for stopping and walking away. Seems like walking helps to keep your head in your game - here's hoping you can find a way to do that from home.

Donamari (fyreflie24)"...able to find that out" is so much more exciting than just sending her an email and asking - it's feels so good to do something nefarious, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
Before the Event
6. Imagine the aftermath. ...
Then imagine that you are leaving the event, having exercised your resistance muscle and stuck to your plan. Can you see yourself feeling strong and in control? Looking forward to getting on the scale tomorrow? Happy about how you did? Proud that you proved you can stick to your plan during a challenging eating situation?

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 03-08-2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #40  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

Yesterday was an easy OP day. I like when it's easy. DH and I had made a plan together and when I felt like a snack later in the afternoon I distracted myself by hauling my bike out, walking to the corner to fill the tires and then riding over to the mall. It was a bit chilly but it felt good to be on my bike again since I find every year it's hard to do that "first ride". My mind still tells me it's too hard but the reality is that it isn't anymore. *credit*

BBE, great job staying OP even as you had dinner out...again. Passing on the pita -knowing it was bland is such a success strategy....thinking like a thin person.

We went to the hot springs yesterday morning intending only to "soak". DH was engaged in conversation with a weight lifting buddy so I had lots of time to think, not think and enjoy the sun. As I watched all the locals come and go I was again amazed at what a healing spot we have. What continues to fascinate me is that there is not an obsession with suits, looks, fat, skinny or any other physical "stuff". We all are what we are and it seems the great interest is who we are. Nice.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #41  

OH! Nefarious!! LOVE IT! Yes that's me...through and through LOL
Old 03-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Good Morning everyone!

Yeah, a perfectly OP day for me yesterday! No sugar, no refined processed carbs and I said NO CHOICE a lot through the day. As I was making lunches for today a box of cookies kept calling me but I kept saying you can at least make it through one day. And I did and the scale showed -2 this morning so that should be enough incentive.

Read my cards yesterday and today. Added a new card yesterday that says "Flour and sugar make dough", as I thought my abdomen was looking kind of doughy yesterday. Planned my food for today and will continue on. Credit for that.

onebyone Credit for walking away from a bag of snacks. Good luck at your weigh in this morning. Is this your first one back in Canada?

BBE Credit for trying new classes at the gym. My plan for today is to walk outside tonight as we have another warm pre-spring day of 10C (50F). I have some DVD's to take to a friend in the neighborhood so that's a good way to do it.

fyreflie24 Credit for your yoga challenge.

lexxiss I'm jealous that you can take your bike out already. I'm hoping I can do that my mid-April. Credit for enjoying your time in the hot springs.

maryann Credit for not eating your way through your feelings after your meeting.

Hi to everyone else, hope all are well.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,Coaches.

Credit that on Marathon Wednesday I made a commitment to be done eating by 4:00. Credit that I didn't stop and dive into cookie dough. I had to tell myself several times, "You are not going to stop." I then remembered that last time I ate cookie dough and felt sick. This is unusual because I usually fail to remember how icky I feel after overindulging. Credit for a long walk instead. Woke up this morning and was down in the scale. No kidding? This isn't rocket science and yet . . .

Good to have the morning to myself and catchup.

Tazzy: I have been six pounds from goal forever. For me it is what it is. I have kept the other weight of for almost two years and I need to give myself credit. I also look at what Beck says, "How would six pounds really effect my life." For me, I am just continuing to practice discipline in all of my affairs because my life goes better that way. Congrats fora perfect day. I want one. Today will be it.

Lexxiss: Terrific to think of you soaking. I can't soak but I can sit by my fire for a few hours and stare into it.

BBE: Credit you for hanging in with the young ins. I look around at my gym and know I am definitely in the older third. My goal is to be there doing yoga into my 80s

Last edited by maryann; 03-08-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #44  

So catch this. I went to the nutritionist this morning. We'd discussed that I had set an intention (not a goal, a goal is a destination. An intention is something that is omnipresent, right now) to mindfully nourish my body for health and fuel. My nutritionist decides, to support this goal, that she is going to weigh me backwards so I will not have a weight number until April 19th.

BIG CLEANING BREATH.

The idea is to get in touch with my body and really be present in my food choices. I will get body fat info (next week in fact! yay! I love body fat info!) as that's good info on how my food choices are affecting my body composition. She asked me to be mindful of the work my body is doing right now and be really present with that as well. As a result, I won't have number updates for a bit. This is going to be an interesting ride

BIG CREDITS Tazzy and maryann!
Old 03-09-2012, 04:14 AM   #45  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was a walk (CREDIT moi) to Whole Foods where I skipped some samples (CREDIT moi) but not one cheese with a walnut date bar topping (Ouch).

Food was on plan (CREDIT moi), except for an extra orange for evening snack (Ouch). I did have some thoughts of snacking during the day because I had something to do that was a chore. DW's good lentil stew for dinner tasted especially good after five nights eating out; that stuff tastes better reheated a week after being made. Thank you India for lentils.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Love your description of the Hot Springs without pretense. You Colorado folks are doing something right to, once again, be named the least obese state in the U.S.. Congrats for your contribution to that statistic.

maryann - Kudos for the mantra, "You are not going to stop." [Neat vision to be doing yoga in your 80's.]

Tazzy - LOL at "Flour and sugar make dough" - neat to look at my mid-section and think 'dough' since I'll remember where that comes from. Kudos for using NO CHOICE throughout the day.

Nefarious (fyreflie24) – Neat distinction between intention and goal - I hadn't heard that before. Yay for body fat info - I've always wanted to be submerged for the ultimate body fat measurement, but couldn't figure out what I'd do with that number if I knew it.

Readers -
Quote:
At the Event
7. Use Good Eating habits. Don't make an exception about how you eat. It can be especially difficult to enjoy every bite when you are distracted by noise, conversation, and people walking around. Be sure to eat all of your food slowly, while sitting down and focusing intently on how it tastes. Otherwise, you can eat mindlessly and wonder, Where did all my food go? and be tempted to eat more.

Closed Thread