Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #121  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

beverlyjoy [QUOTE-pam - sorry to hear of your drama with your group. One or two bad apples...you know (can spoil the bunch) Oops on your overeating about this. It's hard to pull out those Beck techniques when we are in the middle of those emotions. I've done it a few times - kind of going through my 'checklist' in my mind of how to back away from the food. Hope you're feeling better now.]

[QUOTE Credit: Not only did I not eat over all of this, I turned immediately to the phone and shared as much of it as I could to people who haven't a clue of what is going on. Did I not tell you I am just "so over" eating over things in my life. Granted, I am stressed to the gills but I am not overeating. I can't have it both ways, overeating and wanting to be in Onederland by June 1st (or thereabouts).]

I reported both of these women to the site administrators for possible harassment and bullying. It is now in the right hands where it can be dealt with how they wish to. I have done my part especially taking care of myself.

Beverlyjoy Although my response cards are right here in front of me at the base of my monitor I seldom read them any more. Why? I have them memorized. Another thing that really helped me since I had a horrible nights' sleep (which is easy enough for me anyway when life is calm) is that I got up, gave myself a facial, made my bed, loaded the dishwasher, made myself lunch and meditated for an hour, listening to quiet background music, burning a candle and some incense. I have found that repetitive non-thinking action really helps to calm and center me. Once I am calm then I proceed with the rest of the day. Thanks for your caring. It shows.

FFC I hear you on the stalling. I am pushing forward on plowing through this updated tax law. I am determined to finish it. Period but gosh it is so easy to allow myself to get distracted. I just keep reminding myself to get back to task.

Bill Good Job in getting back to the gym. Did you have to show your I.D. to get in? (just kidding) Make those muscles beg for mercy.

maryann "No seconds" is a cardinal rule that I have used for the past year and it has served me well. I included it as one of the points in my current challenge. If it worked for me (and you), it can work for anyone! Hope you feel better too.

melrose and maryann I agree 110% with exercising probably being the best non-prescription way to deal with chronic ongoing depression. I used to have a running argument with one of my therapists when I used to walk (5 miles one way) to our sessions. Since I was calm by the time I arrived, she was always mad that I really didn't feel the need to "talk". Hmm, makes me wonder if she was worried about her "job security".

Tazzy
I was just mentioning to my DH, Paul, the other night about isn't it interesting that now the way airports deal with heightened security (as they should be doing) is to corral all of us so the only place we can freely go is the gift shops and the food court. Hmmmm? Not my idea of feeling very "safe and secure" especially from the "threat" of Cinnabon.

Credit: drawing the line, staying the course and looking forward to another pair of new shoes. I bought a new bundt cake pan with cover today. I have only lost 2 lbs but I wanted to make a new recipe and the original one I used to have is somewhere in Florida with 10 boxes of our stuff that never came here when we moved 8 years ago. I imagine some person making bundt cakes there.

Life is good because I push to make it good!

Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 01-12-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #122  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Angry still having trouble!

Hi Coaches

I officially weighed in at WW this morning and saw a +1.2 on the scale.
*phooey*

I really went to the upper limit with my food this week though. I stayed exactly within my plan but I left no wiggle room. And so, after the weigh-in I went shopping and bought some WW brand snacks! Once I had them in hand, I remembered that I had had the revelation of using food as a reward last week and then I had aseries of thoughts: I saw a gain, but I did get through another week, but I shouldn't be rewarding myself for proper behaviour with food, but I'm at the store now and should shop, why don't I get myself a magazine, omg how expensive are the magazines! what about flowers? Oh they look like they are almost dead, poor things, just get out of here DH needs the car to get to work... and I came home with the treats and I had 5 of them (they are all portion controlled small things) and I counted them and I remembered that I don't want to eat processed foods and was going to abstain from baked goods and processed foods this week.
I was really caght by my inner sabouteur this morning.

The weight gain is probably bloat as I felt puffy. I have a brand new week to work with and I can get some planned exercise in and also plan not to overindulge on the weekend with my DH. I leave for Key West on the 31st. A few more pounds off will make me that much more comfortable on that airplane and in that hot climate. This is important!

Have a good night coaches.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Feeling a thousand times insufficient today... Food was OK - could have been much worse and talked myself out of junk few several times.

BBE, yea for dumbell shuffeling and for portion control at home.

BeverlyJoy yea for "Hunger is not an emergency" for you!

PamatGA, good job for nailing your butt to the seat to get that tax course done!

Waving high to everyone I missed.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #124  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I've never had an effective response to "I don't care." But I think I just found one and it's not a thought it's an action: exercise. Particularly something like dance or yoga where I feel really good in my body afterwards. That feeling magically makes me care again so cravings disappear.

WI: NAkgs, Exercise:+75 515/1300 minutes for January, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, Toronto!

So, onebyone, you kind of left us hanging there. What will you do with the treats? Eat one a day in place of some other snack? Freeze them for some other time -- maybe one each Sunday or something? Take them back to the store? A plan seems to be in order, here. It doesn't matter much what plan but some plan.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #125  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Happy Friday The Thirteenth!

NEWS ALERT! DUE TO UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES, THERE WILL BE A SHORT SUPPLY OF TWINKIES IN THE NOT SO DISTANT FUTURE. YES, THIS IS CORRECT! HOSTESS BAKERY CORP., THE COMPANY WHICH HAS SUPPLIED YOUR NEVERENDING NEED FOR THAT DELICIOUS AND DELECTABLE SPONGE CAKE WITH SWEET CREAMY FILLING, IS FILING BANKRUPTCY DUE TO OVERALL POOR SALES.

YES, THAT IS CORRECT. THE TWINKIES THAT WERE PACKED IN YOURS AND MINE "BRADY BUNCH" AND "MORK N MINDY" METAL LUNCH BOXES WILL BE A THING OF THE PAST. SO, IN THE MEANTIME, STOCK UP WHILE THEY ARE STILL ON YOUR GROCERY STORE SHELVES LEST YOU ARE CAUGHT WITHOUT YOUR STASH OF CHEMICALLY ENHANCED CONFECTIONS. WHO KNOWS, IF YOU HOARD A COUPLE EXTRA BOXES, MAYBE SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE, WE MAY SEE YOU ON ANTIQUES ROADSHOW PONDERING WITH THE REST OF US OF WHAT THEIR "TRUE VALUE" REALLY IS.

BON APPETITE AND HAPPY FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH!

AND HERE WE ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT THEY WOULD SURVIVE EVEN A NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST. JUST FALSE HOPE AND NASTY TABLOID FODDER.

(P.S. This is a true story although any resemblance to any real characters is just plain stupid!)

INQUIRING MINDS JUST HAD TO KNOW.

Pam
Old 01-13-2012, 05:42 AM   #126  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday the 13th

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I've mastered this portions at my meals bit, CREDIT moi. Still working on portions at snacks - always of the most noble, healthy sort. Think I'll try the suggestion by Joy (gardenerjoy) to go do an exercise to make it go away.

I had this yearning for something to eat and instead got myself . . . a glass of water, CREDIT moi. I'm just not a water consuming person despite the mantra on this site touting its benefits, so this was an out-of-character diversion for me; it worked.

onebyone – The use of food as a reward is so ingrained - Kudos for recognizing that you gotta do something about it. Eighteen days till Key West - I'm psyched from here.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I so hate "I don't care" because I know it's not true even when I'm acting on it. Gonna try your exercise suggestion.

Beverlyjoy – Kudos for doing the hunger experiment with equanimity.

FutureFitChick – Then a thousand Kudos your way for confronting the feelings of insufficiency and proceeding with your day.

Pam (pamaga) – Just love the notion that walking five miles to a therapy session causes you to arrive so calm that it's not needed. Would think that a smart therapist could have advised you to simply walk to her place each day and leave a note on her door - no further sessions required.

Now you've got me in a quandary. Since I've been on this journey, I've used Twinkies as an example of that which I'm happy to never eat again. But the thought that they might disappear - trans-fat and all - makes me want to rush out and buy a dozen for my freezer just in case I change my mind, LOL.

maryann - Will wave at all airplanes flying west today. Thanks for "this too shall pass."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 8 Follow Your Plan, No Matter What
resistance technique 2
Say to yourself, Oh, Well.
The technique of saying Oh, well can be applied to all sorts of situations. When you find that the line at the supermarket is slow, you can get frustrated - or say Oh, well. You can get upset when you have to move an event inside because it has started to rain - or say, Oh, well.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 97.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Coaches/Becksters... Yesterday I stayed within the parameters of my plan. My food took a few twists and turns during the day - as I had a tummy ache again and didn't feel like eating beets (which I usually love) and other things. But, I held it together to make it a calorie good day Credit. Grateful for that.

Yesterday and today I've gotten some spontanteous exercise by going up and down the stairs a few extra times. Credit!

I also: wrote everything down that I ate, measured the food, left a bite, drank lots of water, weighed my self (about the same - it's hard to tell - scale's not digital), ate seated only, really concentrated on enjoying the food I did eat - along with slowing down, and had no seconds. Quite a few credits.

It's cold and windy today. A good day to practice stories and work on a few that I am writing.

Billbe - good for you!! Portion control in meal and drinking water instead of unplanned food. Credits. The snack portions will come with time, too.

Pam - I heard about Hostess going bankrupt. No more fried Twinkies for people to talk about and eat. Glad you have your response cards memorized - awesome. Mine are long and involved with lots of information. I need to make them brief. Could be a project for a snowy day. Good for you meditating for an hour... that's awesome. Thanks - it reminds me of how much I like and should remember to do it more often.

ffchick - Credit for walking away from junk!!!! It's hard to do. Credit for strengthening that resistance muscle.

onebyone- sorry that your disappointment at the scale lead to unplanned eating. I have done that myself over the years many times. Hop right back on your WW plan and you will be fine!

gardenerjoy - credit for answering "I don't care." with actions as a diversion. Perfect.

Hope everyone is having a good day.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #128  
persist

Post Friday & checking in

Hi coaches

I didn't weigh in this morning as I was up and out before I even thought about it. I'll do it in the morning.

I did plan and do some exercise today: 30min on the mini trampoline *credit*

I also planned and tracked and measured my food today *credit*

I did find I was ravenous after my dinner. I couldn't figure out why I was so hungry then I remembered my workout. I think it boosted my metabolism. I allowed myself some sour pickles to quell the hunger and it worked. I felt the intense hunger pass and I did myself no harm *credit* I'l have to make sure I plan for a small snack after I workout again tomorrow.

I guess that's it. An uneventful day. *credit*

Until tomorrow...
Old 01-14-2012, 06:09 AM   #129  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - My best 100% on-plan day in a while; CREDIT moi. All snacks were exactly their planned size; meals were just right. I drank two glasses of water to ward off the thoughts of having-a-little-something.

Got in both my long walk and gym, CREDIT moi. Felt like such a noble day that I assumed the scale would note it, LOL. But the normal scale jitter put me up a pound this morning just to tweak my awareness that the body does what the body does.

onebyone – My mouth is puckering thinking about your sour pickles, LOL.

Beverlyjoy – Sounds like a good day when the story teller has time to work on her stories.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 8 Follow Your Plan, No Matter What
resistance technique 2
Say to yourself, Oh, Well.
If these two words don't grab you, here are some alternate phrases dieters I have counseled have used: Move on. Let it go. Get over it. Never mind. Create a Response Card with the saying you like best.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 97.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #130  

This is hard. I can't remember when I felt so discouraged at not being able to lose weight. I keep feeling there must be something wrong with me. I have been tracking my calories and getting plenty of exercise and my weight is not going down. It is possible that I am not accounting for all my calories but I'm not sure what else to do. The only thing I can think to do is to double down on Beck. I must get back to journaling and keep up with three fat chicks.

What I've decided to do today and for the foreseeable future is to work on controlling my cravings and using the distractions that Beck talks about her book. I have never tried this before so wish me luck. Wow the voice recognition in the iPhone really works!

One major thing I do give myself credit for this week is getting back to the gym. On the days that I don't go to the gym I must make a commitment to do something (indoor rower or walking).

Pam credit you for not eating over the people on your challenge.

Onebyone sorry to hear you got sabotaged by the inner devil. Hope you had a better week.

FFC sorry you feel insufficient I'm pretty much there myself.

GardnerJoy yes I think exercise is the answer too.

Bill kudos for staving off that yearning.

Beverlyjoy credit you for all the great behavior.

Ha Ha! due to loss of posts I now cut and paste from my journal. Well just now I pasted in some technical language from a report I just finished up. It would have been funny if I handn't read it and just pressed the button.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi coaches/friends - Yesterday I stayed with my plan. I am very grateful that I did so. I had many credits - wrote all my 'Beck stuff' in my journal, lots of water, ate seated mostly, no seconds, always left a bite, ate slower, read advantage card, and really tried to taste and enjoy the food.

This week is kind of a turning point for me and my speed of eating. I always think of Dr. Beck's statement with this thought - people spend all day thinking of food... buying, preparing, planning, thinking about what's next, thinking what they already had. BUT - when it comes down to the actual eating of the meal - these same people often rush right through it and can hardly taste anything. Yes, I have been working on this. Credit.

billbe - a big hooray for such an onplan Beck day. (Also, your day too, of course). Carry on!

onebyone - credit for the mini trampolene!! I also get to wanting food after dinner all the time. Sometimes I can get through it using what I call the Six D's: distrations, deep breathing, don't drive (to get food), destroy the food, distance self from food, or drink water. It helps me to know they are all D's to remember them.

Maplover - you posted when I was composing my post... I'll catchup. I am sorry you are struggling. I don't know what your food plan is - maybe it needs some tweeking. Credit for getting back to the gym. I talked to onebyone about somethings that sometines help me get through extra unplanned food. Check above and see the Six D's.

Have a good day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 01-14-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #132  
persist

Thumbs up Saturday Morning

Hi Coaches

*credit* weighing in = exactly the same as last time: 273.6

*credit* 30 min on the mini trampoline done (so great to use an exercise smiley after so long!)

I am looking for a recipe for dinner tonight. This is a pleasant task.
Other pleasant tasks on the agenda are carving my block to make my Year of the Dragon print. I have some good images to work from so I am excited to get on this, but not before I settle my food for the day. My foodplan MUST come first.

Guess that's it. Time is just rushing by today!

*credit* for checking in to my coaches.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #133  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

I have been caught up in the whirlpool of life here, as we fit in many events before my sisters departure yesterday morning. I was not able to stick to a written plan for the last 4 days, but I tried to follow my food plan (and alternate) to the best of my ability. *credit* I am tired. I have done alot of driving this week (including a 100 mile backtrack on our way home to search for sister's lost wallet). My biggest credit that day was saying NO CHOICE to off plan foods which could easily have been justified since DH and I got home so late.
Credits:
~eating slowly and mindfully, and only when seated
~weighing every day I could (including this morning)
~continuing to maintain my weight
~committment to making a plan (and sticking with it) today
~making my green smoothie every morning, even when pressed for time.

Yesterday as we were returning from the airport, we were scanning possibilities for breakfast. I chose Whole Foods and found to my delight that they have scrambled(cage free) eggs, baby potatoes, sauteed veggies and steamed quinoa in addition to their salad bar at 730am. We had a very nice (and healthy) breakfast. *credit*

BillBlueEyes, credit for a 100% OP day, and getting to the gym! Stellar!

onebyone, credit for making your foodplan and exercise first priority! I would love to see your Year of the Dragon print!!!

Beverlyjoy, credit for continued vigilance with your food plan, even when you find you need to make some changes mid-day.

maplover, sorry you are feeling discouraged. Credit for thinking of positive things you can do.
Suggestions:
Are you tracking your exercise? It is such a positive and healthy habit, even when the scale is not moving.
Are you keeping track of measurements? Many times measurements will change without weight change, especially when you are exercising.
Do you have a list of reasons to continue a healthy lifestyle, even when the scale is not moving?
Hang in there! Dr. Beck reminds us we should not expect to lose weight every single week, especially when we are close to goal.

Pam(atga), thanks for the hostess update.lol Love your statement, "Life is good because I push to make it good!"

gardenerjoy, Wow! Credit for finding an effective response for you when you are amidst "I don't care." Yippee!

FFC, credit for talking yourself out of some junk food and recognizing it "could have been much worse". I hope you are feeling better.

MaryAnn, hmm...I'm still pondering what a lane trip is? East coast-ish, I imagine. Credit for reminding yourself-No Seconds!

Erika(eusebius), credit for a "new approach" which seems to be working very well for you.

Tazzy, hope Phoenix was pleasantly warm and you had success with your travels (and food).

melroseg2002, nice to hear you are learning to "read" yourself and recognize how much better you feel when you eat OP and exercise. A great strategy for your magazines-hopping on the eliptical!

Toronto! I had a personal diet buddy but we went our separate ways over time. A Coach/Buddy has been here at 3FC every single day since I started with Beck Diet Solution. Let us know how you're doing!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 01-14-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #134  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

Headed to a party tonight and did not plan well with my calories. I will stick with the 1 plate method and drink water. No exercise today, but I tracked my food. I will talk with DH about plan for tomorrow.

BeverlyJoy, great job getting in exercise, especially when you were not feeling 100%.

BBE, great job getting water rather than a snack. Thanks for the support on my down day. Extra gold star for you with your 100% OP day!

GardenerJoy, great job using exercise!

Lexxiss, glad you can get back to regularly scheduled life now. Great job with NO CHOICE!

Maplover, sorry you are having a rough time. I know my student health center offers nutrition services, which is useful especially for learning local tricks (like where there are healthy options at food courts or restaurants). Is that an option for you?

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 01-14-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #135  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi Coaches -
Just a quick checkin. Sorry I haven't been around much. Things have been very crazy lately but I'm doing OK. Amazingly, the scale has been going down every day, which is wonderful. However, I'm quite tired and stressed out. Looks like an early night for me tonight. I've been wondering if I'm eating too little; however, I've been so frustrated with my lack of progress that I'm thrilled to see the scale moving, so it's a bit of a double-edged sword. If anyone has any words of wisdom I'm all ears
Thanks for being there
Erika
Closed Thread