Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #226  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

Better day than yesterday. Didn't track my dinner, +.5, no exercise, didn't read cards. Did sit while eating, ate reasonable portions, but did not leave food on plate at any meal. I sought out extra vegetables at dinner, because my body really wanted them.

BeverlyJoy, way to go with all of those credits! Also, great job for starting to think about your trip. Thanks for the information about the Memory Cards. That sounds really interesting - like little trophies for especially wonderful CREDITS.

BillBlueEyes, great to hear the luges are going well! Also, nice job on bypassing the free samples.

Eusebius, sounds like things are really going well for you! Congratulations!

GardenerJoy, I'm not hungry, but that salmon BLT sounds yummy!

Maryann, great job with all of your credits! I'm really glad for you that your new tracking system is working out.

OnebyOne, I'm impressed again by the cooking from scratch! Kill that cold!!!!

PamatGA, I'm glad you are safe. Great job on being willing to accept help! That can be a big deal for lots of us!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #227  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Another Tuesday. Today's home-alone, too-much-time-near-the-kitchen, went quite a bit better than the last two weeks. Not perfect, but improved. I can build on this!

I purchased Slim in 6 tonight -- a video exercise series by the same people who brought us P90X and INSANITY. Slim in 6 is, apparently, sane. At least, I hope so. All of it's sold in a MultiLevel Marketing scheme. An acquaintance of mine is a new "coach" which means she selling the stuff. I was game for exercise videos but refused the supplements and shakes. There's a Club, too, that I joined for now. I assume it will give me a similar experience that pamatga is finding rewarding at the Biggest Loser Club.

I'm hoping that a new video series and community support for it will help me reinvigorate my exercise -- I've been at a higher level than I am now in the last couple of year. I'm not quite sure that I need to be at the highest level, but I think I'm erring on the too easy side at the moment. So it will be nice to have a reason to push it up a bit.

WI: NA kgs, Exercise:+20 985/1300 minutes for January, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 01-25-2012, 05:15 AM   #228  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It was a mediocre eating day. I met a plate of oatmeal raisin cookies in the evening when I felt entitled to something. Ouch. I hope to make a strong day today to work the old Resistance Muscle. Exercise was an early morning walk, CREDIT moi. I don't usually see my area that early in the morning; it's kinda nice.

onebyone – Get yourself well; they don't accept snowbirds in Florida who're sniffling, LOL. [The Spam man is over the top - UGH!]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat to have a new exercise video, but Double Kudos for joining the Club with it. Hope it gives you what you're looking for.

Beverlyjoy – Can't understand why doctor's offices all have candy bowls. Maybe a letter campaign by patients is needed.

FutureFitChick – Congrats for training your body to "want" vegetables.

Pam (pamaga) – Accepting help really is difficult for some of us; Kudos.

maryann - Ninety Kudos for distributing the cupcakes without nibbling.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 8 Follow Your Plan, No Matter What
resistance technique 5
Read all of your Response Cards - including these additional cards.
. . .
If I want to lose weight forever, I need to stick
to my plan - no ifs, ands, or buts.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 100.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #229  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

It's been very busy-we travelled last night right after work so I'm eagerly awaiting a morning at the hot springs. Did I tell you all that I'm logging over 4 miles on my pedometer at work? It's another example of how tracking helps. (Thanks BDS) I'm elated.
I practiced many Beck skills yesterday and could have checked many items off my Stage 4 Success Skills list (I weighed, I resisted)…..but I didn't….but I did bring it with me along with my Green book.*credit*

I spent a lot of time this morning composing a post on another thread from a chick who is feeling "bored" . I thought I'd share some of that post, since it relates to my experience with BDS (and because I'm out of time);

"…. I think there comes a time 3 or 4 months in that many of us feel "bored". I haven't heard the term "pink cloud" used for awhile....but it's the time after the pink cloud feeling goes away. We are used to feeling better and are now looking at what we're going to do for " a lifetime".

I found by coming here everyday, I got over the hump when the urge was very strong to be less vigilant and to get back to that old "freedom" I had with food….if I saw it and I wanted it I ate it and didn't have one ounce of guilt. My DS still eats that way and very often it "just doesn't seem fair to me".

I'm working Beck Diet Solution along with SBD I feel like I understand a bit better. BDS is more focused on a dieter learning skills to keep the weight of permanently. Dr. Beck considers it a fact, that most dieters will come to a point where they will feel restless or bored with their plan. They will want to regain their old freedom with food. I personally don't think this feeling is limited to just SBD, I think people following other plans find this, too. Perhaps you're not alone and this is something pretty normal.

I decided to stick with SBD for many of the reasons you described;
~I wanted a plan I could live with
~I wanted to eat healthy
~I didn't want to count calories
~I wanted to feel better

It has helped me to have it written down just "why" I am doing this. For me, "I want to be healthy". It has also helped me to go back and remember how I used to feel and how that's different now. It also helps me to project out a little bit, say if I were to drift away from this lifestyle "what would happen".

I get bored (or tired) occasionally. When that happens I ;
~continue my habit of posting here everyday while remembering how it was when I tried losing weight without support.
~I check my level of acceptance regarding weight loss. I tried losing without a plan and it never worked. Either I follow a plan or I gain weight. I accept this.
~write down the reasons why I want to lose weight
~I remember the "old me"
~I visualize the future if I gain back my weight
~I add to my ongoing list of new recipes I'd like to try
~I look back to old favorites (comfort food) and see if I can tweak something healthier and once again enjoy it.
~I work on finding new and fulfilling projects to enrich my life-which don't include food.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to revisit my own plans/goals and I hope there is one thing that might help.
"

Note: One thing I HAVE done since starting BDS, is to learn HOW to count calories. I don't always do it as I get sucked into my "whirlpool of life" but I've learned so much more about the food I eat by being willing to try.*credit*

I hope to get back for personals later today. First things first-I've been up nearly two hours and haven't yet made a pot of coffee.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #230  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi coaches/buddies - Yesterday was mostly good. I felt 'scattered' all day. I was running around getting things done, going to appointments, doing a few stories for seniors and more. I felt very anxious - in the evening I ate extra - a small amount of chocolate milk and soda crackers. I just wasn't willing to shout back at my thoughts. Phooey.

Also, the only thing I really did was log all my food. The rest kind of went out the window. I do much better when I have a little time to get my journal ready. I will aim to do better today.

One good credit today is that I am down one pound from last Wednesday. Always grateful to see that.

lexxiss/debbie - I am so glad you mentioned the 'pink cloud'. It's such a wonderful reminder of how, at some point, we all have to refocus our efforts to live with food in a sane manner. Thank you for posting all these thoughts - appreciate it greatly.

billbe - oops..darn cookies. Good idea to work on the resistance muscle today even more than usual. I am glad you said it....it a reminder for me since I had extra food in the evening too. Thanks.

gardenerjoy - glad your day a!t home went better facing the food in the kitchen. Yes, you can build on it. Credit for moving forward with some new exercise videos and a support group to jumpstart your motivation!

futurefitchick - I am glad you had a good day after a day with some struggles. Credit.

Have a great day!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #231  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post um

Hi Coaches

I opted to stay home again today. I don't feel like I have a cold anymore, but I have had a low level tummy ache since last night. My bug seems to have worked its way down lower in my body.

I don't know if I really believe this, I don't think I do, but I weighed in on my wii fit this morning and it told me I was down -3.7lbs since yesterday (when I was up 1.8 I think), so the new weight seen on the wii fit is 269.4. This was my goal weight for the start of my trip and, officially, 20lbs down from the start of WW Nov 17th. My gut feeling was to re-weigh myself as I felt "puffy" and was absolutely sure I would be even higher than yesterday, not -3.7. So, for today, I am just keeping that weight, resisting re-weighing, and continuing to do R&R so I can be healthy for my trip next week. Tomorrow is my Official Weigh-in so I'll be whatever number tomorrow. I am happy enough having seen a number in the 260's. I have not seen that in a few years. *credit* 30 min

And an NSV as I type this; I am wearing a sweatshirt DH brought home for me last spring. Since he works for a poker company they often close out their merchandise and there were a bunch of clothing items that he grabbed. Well this is a white sweatshirt, very cozy, an XXXL. You'd think this would be massive but it's not. The body has always fit me but I could not get my upper arms into it. Today the arms are snug but here I am wearing it. I won't wear it out yet but I am enjoying my progress getting into this piece of clothing.

I have a Guild meeting tonight. I'm not keen to go. I'll be there anyway. Oh well.

Bye for now.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-25-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #232  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

Up .5 today on the scale. I did not track food today, but made healthy choices, until I got triped up by a tired-induced Baked Cheeto craving. Did not read cards. Lots of walking today, but skipped the gym, AGAIN. Monday my goal is to get there before work. I was pleased to find a healthy and delicious salad (although $7.50) at the new place on campus today. I left of bite of that, but did not think to at Breakfast or Dinner.

BeverlyJoy, great job with logging your food. Too bad about the unplanned snack. I know you'll be back in the swing of things for Thursday!

BillBlueEyes, too bad regarding the oatmeal raisin cookies. Glad you enjoyed your early morning walk!

GardenerJoy, great news that Tuesday went better for you this week. I hope the new work out is really fun for you!

Lexxiss, I'm so excited that you are so close to your goal weight. That is awesome! Great job with 4 miles at work!!

OneByOne, congratulations on the weight loss and the better fitting sweatshirt!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #233  
Green Tomatoes

A good day for exercise, mostly good for food.

WI: +0.25 kgs, Exercise:+45 1030/1300 minutes for January, Food: 85%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Lexxiss: thanks for all your thoughts on boredom. All very familiar. I don't really experience it as boredom, but I certainly relate to that occasional desire to get back to that old "freedom" I had with food. Your response is very helpful.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:44 AM   #234  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

This is early but it is when I do a lot of things at the end of my "day" including reading all of your posts and then also reporting in here.

Two days ago I offered a "One on One Buddy Up" daily accountability. I have noticed that there are a group within the group who are posting daily but they are stalled at losing weight. Like here, that is always a note of concern but considering how we are posting our calories, how much fruit and vegetables, our choices of lean protein, the amount of water we drink and the fact that I have had them do both affirmations to read twice daily (sound familiar?) and also organize a "clean" kitchen; to not see even an ounce come off seems so unlikely.

Three people responded to my "call to help" so they are sending me their food plan they have eaten each day and I am sending them mine. This is what can occur between a sponsor and a recovering member of OA. This action and commitment to being honest with another person is exactly what I needed at this time. I hope it will be for the other three people as well.

In response to what lexxiss said earlier about dealing with boredom, I do think that anyone who works at losing weight will hit a wall at some point. It does seem to happen at specific junctions like 50+ lbs. I have noticed this with myself and then with two other women. We know what to do but we aren't doing it.

I have spent the past couple of days really soul searching trying to come up with what it was that was "stalling" me. Besides the obvious of not exercising my Resistance Muscle often enough (which makes for sloppy food plans and portion control), it was more than that. Here is my "spin" on the boredom aspect of all of this.

In the past I had been a yo-yo dieter for decades. I would lose and re-lose the same 25-35 lbs over and over. I would give up for awhile and come back in a year or so and try all over again. I just didn't believe I could sustain permanent weight loss. I used to tell myself that I would believe I could "do it" once I had lost 45 lbs. I am not even sure why I chose that particular number other than I had never been there---or not for long.

Then, another thing dawned on me the other day: it falls along the lines of the Memory Box idea. The weight of 235 lbs was a very important weight for me in the past because it was then that I realized that I had stepped from being a Misses size to a Plus size and for someone who had been a size 6 growing up I just couldn't fathom this. The other part of that is: I believe that was when I also realized that something had really changed with how I related to food. I believe that is when I can pinpoint being an active compulsive overeater.

So, now I have found a new "motivation" to keep pushing: I want to break through that weight since I think it will give me closure on decades of being a compulsive overeater. Just saying "No, thanks" to extra or unwanted food isn't enough to signal to myself (and perhaps others as well) since a lot of people are really careful with their food plan nowadays. I need to know that I am experiencing a saner relationship with food. I believe that I need something more visible and tangible for that to really sink in. It is similar to the experience I get when I have given away larger sized clothing. It forces me to deal with and face the fact that I am not who I once was---even if that person was that way for almost three decades.

I think that the reason why that other person was "bored" is that they have lost the "reason(s)" to continue on and finish what they began.

It actually has become harder for me to use wanting to be healthy physically when all of my stats are "normal" which was my first reason I put on my Advantage card. Although, being obese is not healthy by any stretch of the imagination, right now, except for the number on the scales, I would pass any physical thrown at me. So, now that I don't have that nipping at my heels, I became "bored" with the sheer tedium of all of this. It wasn't until I realized that I wanted to "prove" to myself again that I could put a final closure on that period of my adult life where I was an active compulsive overeater. Reaching and surpassing 235 lbs will do that for me.

There, that is what I would say to that person who is bored. Find out what it is that will motivate you all over again and then go for it.

Thanks for bringing that up, Lexxiss.

Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 01-26-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #235  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A better food day, CREDIT moi. I felt drawn to some trail mix but remembered that I'd care later if I ate it now - felt good to stare that stuff down since it's grabbed me before. Yay for working the Resistance Muscle. I did accept a small slice of homemade apple pie that had followed my DW home from an event, but I extracted the apples from the crust and declared it to be healthy. Well, sorta, anyway since it had "little" sugar - again, sorta.

Nice trip to the gym, CREDIT moi. It delighted me that I could pick up the 45# dumbbells from the wrong slots, use them for my chest presses, and then return them to the proper slots - all without doing any extra lifting. I am so easily amused, LOL.

onebyone – Yay for the joy of a new sweatshirt that now can be worn. Will keep my fingers crossed for your official weigh in today.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Good grief - you've slowly incremented your exercise number for January to within possibility of reaching goal. Kudos.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Thanks for the discussion about "bored" and the passing of the "pink cloud." I miss the intensity I felt six years ago when, for example, I wouldn't have even considered the slice of homemade apple pie. Just wouldn't have considered it. Yay for 4 miles on a shift.

Beverlyjoy – Interesting that doing too many things can lead to feeling 'scattered' and 'anxious' - both of which can make it harder to keep the path. Kudos for being so aware.

FutureFitChick – Ouch for "tired-induced" - that can be a problem for me, also.

Pam (pamaga) – Kudos for extracting a specific goal - dropping out of plus sizes - to increase motivation after a long journey. I know that issue of losing motivation when the 'stats' are good. In my case, I have a naturally low heart rate. Just this past week a nurse at the doctor's office who'd never seen me before noted, "You must be athletic!" Well, no, I wish, I try, but one's heart rate doesn't always mean that.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 8 Follow Your Plan, No Matter What
resistance technique 5
Read all of your Response Cards - including these additional cards.
. . .
I can always plan to eat this food tomorrow.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 100.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #236  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hello

Boy my life has been busy lately. I have to admit I have not read my cards in a long time, I do weigh everyday (1.6 away from ticker), I do eat sitting down and slowly. I haven't written down my food plan in awhile but am not eating crazy or anything. Since doing the PINK Method program since mid Dec I find I don't want the processed foods and I seem to do fine on lower calories. I haven't tracked them either so am not sure where I'm at. It seems like I'm maintaining more than anything now and I'm fine with that. When the number on the scale creeps up a bit I reign things back in. We leave for the cruise in 16 days and I'm happy where I am with my weight and how my clothes look and fit. I think getting a family of 4 organized for trip is occupying a lot of my time. This is the first big trip for the 4 of us (being the boys are my stepsons) and I don't want to be rushed at the end getting prepared. Granted most people don't start packing 3 weeks before a trip, I hope to have everything done this weekend.

I do get here often to read the posts but I cannot promise that I'll be doing the personals anytime soon. Hope everyone is doing well.

Last edited by Tazzy; 01-26-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #237  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.
So good to read everyone's post It gets me out of myself. i second Gardenerjoy's and Lexxiss' comments on boredom. A year and a half into BDS and I take for granted the 15 pounds I have kept off that I had never in my life been able to lose. I am enjoying the NEW next step for me which is tracking w/ WW etools. I have logged in my first pound lost this week so I am now 7 pounds from goal.
Lots of work to do for school and school. Plus counseling with hubby. We are making lots of progress.
Pamatga: Credit for clarification of a very credible goal. I know exactly what it feels like to have to stop going to the regular stores and head for Lane Bryant. I never want to go back there again.
BBE: Congrats on the sparring with the trail mix. A victory. Trail mix is your Moriarity.
BeverleyjoyI hear you about anxiety.It is often disabling to me. Credit for tracking.
FFChick: The salad is not pricey considering all the binge food I buy and then the next clothing size I will have to buy. Good choice.

Last edited by maryann; 01-26-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #238  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

OH Pam, I needed to hear that, thank you
Old 01-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #239  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default My Avatar Says It All.

Well.

Coaches!

I've met my mini goal to be under 270 before I leave for Key West; there it was, 269.2 this morning at my Weight Watchers meeting. Officially I am -20.2lbs down today. So great. That 20lbs has been stuck to me for two years.

Buh-bye!

So, I got confirmation that I will be able to attend meetings on the island. Can't wait to go there! I am all set. I hope to be under 260 by the time I get back to my home meeting... at least I won't go off plan and regain the weight, not by continuing to check in at my meetings.

Ok better go lay down. I now have the sniffles and sneeziness. I am relieved that I only have a cold and nothing worse. A cold I can handle.

Bye!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #240  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

onebyone:

FABULOUS!!!! Exciting! Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by fyreflie24; 01-26-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Closed Thread