Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #211  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Sunday I checked most of the items off my Stage 3 Success Skills Sheet. I am deficient in checking off my Advantages List, because it is outdated. It is on my radar to do some thinking and make a new one. My stellar resistance was a work mistake, 1 biscuit/gravy , which was shoved in my face...I wavered then said no.(My coworker later apologized, which was nice). I was so organized, I took my Green book and read before bed.

BillBlueEyes, wondering if you're still getting snow (I don't watch the weather or football-only basketball) I see your NEP's are headed to the Super Bowl-congrats!

MaryAnn, great job never giving into that candy craving! That is tough when the craving hangs on so long. (Denver often has really warm days amidst the cold. The sun is so much stronger one mile high)

maplover, welcome to Colorado! Yes, chillier than FL. I live 18 miles West. credit for bringing your jumprope, heading to the gym AND putting an emphasis on veggies! Yes, water will help with the altitude AND if need be, the drugstores all have something that helps-ask a pharmacist.

Donamarie(fyreflie24), , great job trying the new road simulator! It sounds like a real workout. With your resolve, you will have a new charm before long!

Beverlyjoy, yes, I've noticed, too, that there are more references to organization in the Green book. Credit for finding a new incentive to read your cards every day!

onebyone, great credits as you persist to victory!

Pam(atga), nice NSV! I have to remember to wear some of my saved clothes, too, or they just don't fit anymore!

FutureFitChick, great credits! Kudos for a corresponding drop on the scale!

gardenerjoy, nice when an insane day still produces reasonable eating!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #212  

S/C/G: 173/185/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Early Morning, Coaches.
Super Bowl party was a mixed bag of feelings. i was happy to have been invited to a new social group. With that came the old social anxiety. It just is. But I kept with the gratitude.Still went off plan but tracked. I enjoyed DH an DS and only minded a little that the 49er's lost. I really don't think they deserve to go to the Superbowl if they couldn't make a third down conversion.
I planned my food for today. It is pack in a lunch bag.
best to all.

Last edited by maryann; 01-23-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #213  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

Lexxiss: You are a good luck charm girl, new bead this morning

Maryann: Sounds like you enjoyed the party! Yay you

BerverlyJoy: Oh that book! Oh geezz, I just gave my copy to someone too! I have such an issue with clutter; maybe I need to add that on my agenda! The fluctuations are frustrating but they’re just that, fluctuations. Tracking daily really helps keep me focused; it can be frustrating but I think it’s really helped me figure out my body and what works.

FutureFitChick: Yay -3 lbs!!! That’s awesome! I think I’m just getting impatient. I know there’s muscle under the fat and I’m just ready to SEE IT! I’m tired of worrying about making the deadline to be 135 in exactly 5 months from today. It’s doable but I guess that nagging doubt is making me nuts. And fear if I don’t make it or still aren’t feeling ‘bathing suit worthy’. /whining Biking is fun; the saddle? Not always so much

Pamtega: Oh I share it with you girl! I know it’s the good problem to have but I’m blowing through clothes too! We have a perpetual donate pile here at my house. I only keep like 2 pairs of jeans at a time because I change sizes so rapidly. Again, I know, good problem but it can be frustrating!

Bill: There are several big screens with everyone’s stats. Would be nice to have video like a simulator It does get a little brain intensive but a good workout nonetheless. Congrats to the Pats!

Last edited by fyreflie24; 01-23-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #214  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Monday = new week

Hi Coaches

It's rainy and warmish here. This place is not like where I lived before. We have had a few snowfalls but within a week it gets warmish and the rain comes and the snow goes away. Very interesting and a nice change.

*credit* already this morning to me for doing my 30 min on the mini tramp. I am still finding it tough to do that 30min but not as tough as it was yesterday afternoon, and the best part is it ov-er for the day.
*credit* for weighing in on the wii fit: -2.2 today for 271.8. That's only 0.2 up from my lowest low seen mid week last week, so this is good news. Inspite of my bigger food days this weekend I have managed to stay the course by not going off plan and here we have the result. No gain. This foodplan is working for me. *credit* the scientific minds who put the foodplan together for me to use.

I opted to stay home today to continue setting up my studio space. I have one door on my 2nd pantry, one to go. It's in my studio area to hold who knows what. I am getting excited though as today may be the day when I can sweep a significant amount of clutter off of the floor and out of bags onto shelves and into drawers. I even thought I could label my storage units into the three main art mediums that I work in, thereby giving myself a real chance at getting that uncluttered. I have never been that organized that I could label a space/drawer/shelf and expect to keep it dedicated to that thing. Guess I really am that sick and tired of being so disorganized. I'm going with it coaches which is why I am home and not in the car driving hither and yon which is what I really enjoy doing. Tomorrow I can do that.

So guess I'd better go finish that pantry and start really changing the space I live and work in! I am so grateful to be able to make real progress in so many areas of my life that have befuddled me for YEARS. I am not kidding. To see change all around me and to see the weight starting to leave my body and to be willing to do the work to do this is filling me with joy and gratitude. It's really good to be in a hopeful frame of mind. I wish the same for all of you who read this.

Bye for now.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #215  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Coaches/buddies/friends - I awoke to thunder and rain today. An unsual thing in the winter. Kinda cool, reallly.

Yesterday was a healthy day - I am very grateful for that. I have done my exercises everyday for a week - Credit. Also - have made a big effort to eat slower and more mindfully. I only ate once while standing... I caught myself doing it... but, it was too late! Other credits: left a bite, no seconds, said No Choice a couple of times, read arc/rc/beck, planned/measured/logged food, weighed today (down about .5 pound) and more. I had some gum (unplanned) - I don't know how/if it fits in to all this.

I am finding that I really like the the Memory Card concept. Good idea. I actually don't use a card...but, have a list.

I hope to see my dear Aunt who is getting out of the hospital and going into a nursing home to rehab. I hope that at some point she can make it back home. I don't know.

I hope you all have a wonderful day. Remember to treat yourself as kindly as you would a good friend.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 01-24-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #216  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I know I don't check in a lot but I am alive and I'm trying. Not too hard but I'm kinda doing a 50/50 on healthy stuff. I have pretty much been exercising consistently for the most part at least 4/7 days out of the week and I keep Beck-isms in mind. I made a new page that I can check off stuff like that hopefully to keep me motivated to exercise and reading my cards.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #217  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

Weight was +.5 today. I did not take the 4 flights of steps to my office today, work out, or track my food. I left food on my plate at breakfast and lunch. I ate off plan a fair bit. I did walk on campus some as well.

My snow melted and I am bitter about that. It is January for goodness sakes and I want my snow back. Headed to bed early because I am trying to head off a cold.

BeverlyJoy, what a fantastic list of credits you have today! Great job. The "Memory Card" is not ringing a bell for me (or isn't described in the pink book, maybe?). Can you elaborate on that?

BillBlueEyes, awesome job on opting out of the beckoning trail mix!

Daimere, great job making a check list and getting in your exercise!

Fyreflie24, I admire your stick-tuitiveness regarding your 135 goal. I can never reach out that far as I always end up focusing on how far that is to reach. It is really wonderful that you and DH have something active like that you both love so much!

Lexxiss, that is really terrific that your colleague apologized for food pushing. Even more terrific was your response to the pushing!!!!

Maplover, great job packing your jump rope and getting in to the gym today!!

Maryann, great job tracking your food and for packing your lunch today!

OnebyOne, great job on the continued improvement of your environment.

PamatGA, major congratulations on those NSVs!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #218  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone,

Quick checkin tonight. I was very pleased to see a 2.6 pound loss this week, meeting my 10 pound goal and my 5% of my body weight goal for WW. I'm proud that although we lost our kitty this weekend I have not turned to food to deal with it but have felt the feelings instead.

I started Couch to 5K today after 3 preparatory weeks of run/walking leading up to it. It feels good to be back at it again.

We got ourselves on a waiting list for a new Siamese kitten. The breeder is expecting a new litter in March which means we could take a kitten home in June. It would be lovely if this worked out. Not a replacement -- that could never be -- but a new family member to love.

Have a great evening, all.
Erika
Old 01-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #219  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Green book vs. Pink book. I'm finding everyone's observations interesting. I finally got through the Pink book, but the Green book seemed to suit my learning style better, too, maplover. Something about the pink book's new thing every day was just too much pressure!

I had lunch with former co-workers -- I made a good choice before I left the house: 1/2 salmon BLT and a cup of vegetable soup. It was just right.

WI: NA kgs, Exercise:+30 965/1300 minutes for January, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Yay onebyone! Your report to day made me feel so happy!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:06 AM   #220  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - At Whole Foods, I turned down several FREE samples of spicy sausages, CREDIT moi, to complete an on plan eating day. At the gym, CREDIT moi, my lunges are getting a bit more to form; the body remembers how to do them.

onebyone It's such an inspiration when exercise is, "not as tough as it was yesterday." I'm so delighted you're making progress on your clutter; I need inspiration there also.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Kudos for making a good choice before you left the house.

Erika (eusebius) Congrats on those 10 pounds gone forever. Kudos for not turning to food to avoid grief.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Now you've got me drooling for a biscuit with gravy - must be the worst combination of foods except Spam. [Shoveled the weekend's six inches of snow that still remains but, at 48 degrees F outside right now, it's not here for long.]

Beverlyjoy Kudos for a week of exercises.

FutureFitChick It's just good to be reminded that you can do those four flights of stairs, Kudos.

maryann - Yay for food planned and packed. That's settled.

Donamari (fyreflie24) Congrats on that new bead.

Daimere Kudos for keeping up with your exercising - it's such a good motivator for everything else.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 8 Follow Your Plan, No Matter What
resistance technique 5
Read all of your Response Cards - including these additional cards.
. . .
Either I deprive myself of eating the food today or
it's highly likely that I will deprive myself forever of all
of the advantages of losing weight.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 100.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #221  

S/C/G: 173/185/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.
Tracked my food. Stayed OP. I am really enjoying the etool aspect of logging in. Novelty is the spice of life, I guess. Credit - gave out 90 cupcakes yesterday to deserving students and didn't eat one. That is a big deal. Credit that the closer monitoring of my food plan is leading me to eat more veggies and drink more water. I always forget that seems to be the secret. Super busy with work and DS but will plan exercise. Video at home while DS does homework.
onebyone and Eusebius: You both sound terrific. I ,also, am appreciating the science behind WW.
gardener joy: I am a pink fan, just because I am a ritual kind of gal.
Beverleyjoy: Glad it is a good day. I am thinking best wishes for your aunt.
I have a mid- term to plan so wave to everyone else.

Last edited by maryann; 01-24-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #222  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

GD everyone! I am sure that you have all heard about the 32+ tornadoes that did damage throughout the SE in the past few days. Fortunately, where we are located, no property or people were loss. Some of the areas of northern Alabama were the same ones that were hit April 2011.

Bill - Major Kudos on avoiding the "free trap" at WF and staying OP. I know how difficult that is for you. Good Job! Great to hear that your body is remembering what it feels like to be worked out. Kudos.

onebyone – As one who did the "de-cluttering" project a few years ago and now have just one small room to go, I can attest to what an empowering task it was and came to be. You will NOT regret it! I love having everything in its place and a place for everything.

gardenerjoy – One good choice begets another. Kudos for starting that trend!

eusebius on losing 10 pounds! Great Job in not turning to food to "fix your broken heart".

Lexxiss
I just love biscuit and gravy which I have about 2x a year. To think I used to eat that every morning for breakfast for years. Hmmmm. Kudos for "nipping it in the bud".

Beverlyjoy – WTG with the week long commitment to "movement"--spontaneous or otherwise.

FutureFitChick – Second that motion again! WTG with the stair climbing. Great way to develop strong quads.

maryann - Major Kudos for planning ahead. It works.

fyreflie24 on the addition of the new bead. Makes me think of my next pair of new shoes. I can barely wait.

Daimere – Hey Hoop Lady, how is the auditioning going on your end? Any prospects?

Well, if Bill loves "freebies" then I follow suit in loving "two fers". After I posted this past week's weigh in on the general thread in my other group, I suggested to anyone who wanted to do a One on One daily accountability that I would be open to it. Credit Again, it strengthens my own personal accountability to someone else and strengthens my desire to "lead by example". It sure makes one pause when making certain food choices if you know you will be sharing it with another person and you want that person to hold you in esteem. Well, I am up for it.

I will admit that the ones that I had most hoped would want to do the One on One passed.[Both have active diabetes] This winter season of "Biggest Loser" is subtitled "No Excuses". Well, much to my disappointment, the ones that I had hoped would Buddy Up had plenty of "excuses". Funny thing about "excuses". On the surface, they can really seem rational, legitimate and even "altruistic" but the bottom line is how good are we to our loved ones if we have the onset of some very serious health problems and we choose to not do anything about that, especially when we can. If we wait too long, we may never be able to turn back time. One of the prime motivators of me seriously losing weight was that I did NOT want to burden my DH with a sick wife, now or later.

So, my major Credit today is that not only am I offering help but I am also accepting it.

Love Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 01-24-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #223  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy

Coaches

I am fighting off a small cold bug so I'll just keep this short.
*credits*
-weighed in today on wii fit +1.3 = 273.1
-made food from scratched
-made food plan for today
-did 30min minitramp
-checked in with my coaches
-resting so I can get well.

billblueeyes your comment to Lexxis about SPAM made me find the attached image. Some folks would rather sculpt it than eat it. I know I would!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spambeachy.jpg (9.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #224  

Hi coaches/friends - I had another healthful on plan day yesterday. I am always grateful for that.

I did a lot of journal work, read arc/rc/beck (green), no seconds, ate slower/tasted, exercises, weighed (same), & deep breaths before each meal. I did give in to a piece of hard candy at the doctor’s office. (every doctor seems to have a candy bowl! Hhmmm)

Next week my wonderful step mom is having shoulder replacement surgery at age 86! It was suppose to be February 27 - but, they had a cancellation. She’s very anxious to get it over with. I will be with her next week. My cousins will come and help, too. So I need to start to think about what food to take there - and managing my food while gone. I am feeling a little bewildered to pull this together with my cousins at the last minute. I wanted to eat extra - but, I shouted back at those sabatoging thoughts and have let the urge pass.

Lexis/Debbie - credit for making/taking time to read and work with the Green Book. I agree - adding on to our Advantages is a good idea.

Maryann - credit for keeping track of the food at the party… even though it was more than you planned. I think that honesty is really hard - but, important. Passing out 90 cupcakes without eating one is worthy of a Happy Dance for sure!!!

Fyreflie - you said: Tracking daily really helps keep me focused; it can be frustrating but I think it’s really helped me figure out my body and what works. That is so, so true. Good you said it… great reminder!

Onebyeone - I am so glad your food plan is working well for you. I think there’s a kind of ‘calmness’ that comes with finding something comfortable work with. You rock on the mini tramp!

Daimere - glad you posted. Making a check off list is a good idea. It keeps you/us accountable and works as a reminder.

Futurefitchick - The Memory Cards (or list) comes from the Green Book. It’s a collection of diet related experiences that are somehow meaningful to you - have a positive emotional charge. Maybe it’s a time when you successfully got through a craving, a wonderful compliment, after mastering a skill, feeling proud about something, etc. Dr. B suggests keeping these on a card in a special Memory Box. Or… make a list. That’s what I did. I really like this!! I’ve got some positive things spinning around in my head.. It was nice to write them down.. And I can go back and read them often.

Erika - happy dance in honor of your wonderful weight loss and meeting your other goals. It’s nice to have a new kitty to look forward to.

Gardener/joy - I like the style of the Green Book too. It’s tone suits me better. There’s lots of info in the pink book - but, kind of like in a harsh tone. (To my liking)

Billbe - wonderful passing on the goodies at Whole Foods. And a on plan day, also.
Credit!!

Pam - I am so glad you are safe from the tornados. It’s just awful what these folks have had to go through. I think it’s wonderful how you are combining your other group and this Beck group. I agree with the accountability. It’s a really hard thing, sometimes. No one wants to admit when they have gone off plan or even binged. I am so glad that folks are willing to share those times here. It’s how a coach can help, really.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #225  

Hi coaches/friends - I had another healthful on plan day yesterday. I am always grateful for that.

I did a lot of journal work, read arc/rc/beck (green), no seconds, ate slower/tasted, exercises, weighed (same), & deep breaths before each meal. I did give in to a piece of hard candy at the doctor’s office. (every doctor seems to have a candy bowl! Hhmmm)

Next week my wonderful step mom is having shoulder replacement surgery at age 86! It was suppose to be February 27 - but, they had a cancellation. She’s very anxious to get it over with. I will be with her next week. My cousins will come and help, too. So I need to start to think about what food to take there - and managing my food while gone. I am feeling a little bewildered to pull this together with my cousins at the last minute. I wanted to eat extra - but, I shouted back at those sabatoging thoughts and have let the urge pass.

Lexis/Debbie - credit for making/taking time to read and work with the Green Book. I agree - adding on to our Advantages is a good idea.

Maryann - credit for keeping track of the food at the party… even though it was more than you planned. I think that honesty is really hard - but, important. Passing out 90 cupcakes without eating one is worthy of a Happy Dance for sure!!!

Fyreflie - you said: Tracking daily really helps keep me focused; it can be frustrating but I think it’s really helped me figure out my body and what works. That is so, so true. Good you said it… great reminder!

Onebyeone - I am so glad your food plan is working well for you. I think there’s a kind of ‘calmness’ that comes with finding something comfortable work with. You rock on the mini tramp! I hope you feel better. LOVE the Spam Sculpture!

Daimere - glad you posted. Making a check off list is a good idea. It keeps you/us accountable and works as a reminder.

Futurefitchick - The Memory Cards (or list) comes from the Green Book. It’s a collection of diet related experiences that are somehow meaningful to you - have a positive emotional charge. Maybe it’s a time when you successfully got through a craving, a wonderful compliment, after mastering a skill, feeling proud about something, etc. Dr. B suggests keeping these on a card in a special Memory Box. Or… make a list. That’s what I did. I really like this!! I’ve got some positive things spinning around in my head.. It was nice to write them down.. And I can go back and read them often.

Erika - happy dance in honor of your wonderful weight loss and meeting your other goals. It’s nice to have a new kitty to look forward to.

Gardener/joy - I like the style of the Green Book too. It’s tone suits me better. There’s lots of info in the pink book - but, kind of like in a harsh tone. (To my liking)

Billbe - wonderful passing on the goodies at Whole Foods. And a on plan day, also.
Credit!!

Pam - I am so glad you are safe from the tornados. It’s just awful what these folks have had to go through. I think it’s wonderful how you are combining your other group and this Beck group. I agree with the accountability. It’s a really hard thing, sometimes. No one wants to admit when they have gone off plan or even binged. I am so glad that folks are willing to share those times here. It’s how a coach can help, really.
Closed Thread