Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #121  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post Another day gone

Hi Coaches

I'm blue this evening. I got a letter telling me I don't qualify for a travel grant for my artist residency. I'm a little sad over that as it would hav been great but not that surprised. It wasn't that my project was bad, it was that I am too newly graduated from school. Imagine.

And I had a goodbye phonecall from the only person that I call friend here locally. She's off to sunny and warm Sarasota FL until Dec 28th, but when she returns she's off again until after New Year's. So, basically, I'm lonely. I think I need to volunteer somewhere. These blue feelings aren't good for me.

I was supposed to clean out/make workspace for msyself int he back room. I have three stacks of boxes to go through. I ended up getting distracted by trying to crfeate a Blurb book for my drawing collective consisting of images from our work and our gallery show in August. working on it made me feel lonelier as I miss our meetings and our banter and our energy.

I seem to have lost my energy. I am trying to find it again and I'll keep trying until I do.

Beckwise, I weighed in this morning *credit* and saw a low# on the wii fit, so I have a bit of hope for a better than expected Official Weigh-in this Thursday. I made my soup, as planned *credit and have followed my points for the day and I am now done eating.

"The Kitchen is Closed" as Bev would say

Tomorrow I have the dentist in the morning, then I need to get or make something for the Guild's xmas potluck and not-so-silent-auction tomorrow night. Guess I need a bit of $ for that in case there is something I want. Maybe I'll even have some fun.

So, things are okay. And I'll end this there.

Have a good evening coaches.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #122  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

It's taking some adjustment time to get food (and other things) back in place after our trip but I'm making good progress. And getting back on track more quickly than I used to.

WI: +0.65 kgs, Exercise:+40 420/1300 minutes for December, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: glad your home safe and sound and recovering from the stress of the situation

eusebius: hope the kids' concert is fun and that sleep proves to be the soother you needed

maryann: yay for the OP day!

Lexxiss: good job with a pecan pancake credit -- that's a challenging one, especially in the midst of rushing and working

pamatga: the group you are hosting sounds terrific.Teaching others is a brilliant way to get yourself to live up to your own ideals.

maplover: kudos for making a point of declaring yourself finished with food at the end of an exhausting day.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:07 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Everyone.

Much better day today than the last few. I was sttill in a funk until I had a physical therapy appointment. I left there feeling better in general. Food was very reasonable today. I did not make a plan yesterday, but am pleased with the choices I made as the day progressed. As I wind up the end of the year, I will continue to improve my focus on sitting and paying attention to every bite and add to that planning my food the day before. I did really well at this for a long time (as well as exercising), but I got really derailed this semester.

BBE, its hard to watch loved ones' bodies fail. Great job for saying no to sweets and I know being home will get you off the snacking.

GardenerJoy, glad you had a good trip and maintained pretty well.

Eusebius, I love the Bach sonatas. So much variety out of one mind! I hope you are blessed with a lighter heart tomorrow after watching adorable kids!

Maryann, so glad to hear about your star! I know a constellation is in the works for you!

PamAtGA, love the raspberries! Great job, as always!

Hi to everyone else I didn't get to!
Old 12-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #124  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Yay for my own kitchen which produced a peanut butter, pecan, and banana sandwich on toasted bread for my lunch. CREDIT moi for liking food when processed stuff abounds in our world. I faced two spreads of food in a busy evening and just barely survived - Ouch, I need to get out of the eating mode of my travels. I did some resistance; CREDIT moi for that. And I spent some good time with friends; CREDIT moi for knowing that that matters for a sane life.

Thanks to the arrival of a Harry and David gift box, I had my scheduled fruit for evening snack, CREDIT moi.

onebyone – Ouch - imagine funding young artists rather than elderly ones, LOL. Kudos for going to the dentist to take care of yourself. I just participated in an online silent auction for an organization that deserves help; I was outbid on 12 items, so I got my giving jollies stroked yet didn't put out a dime, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, I doubt the St. Louis area has fried okra, LOL.

Erika (eusebius) – I lasted through many a Suzuki violin concert by concentrating on the notion of variations on a theme, where the variations were wandering little fingers reaching for the actual notes, LOL.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Giant Kudos for "not snarfing the giant pecan pancake" - which would have been so easily rationalized by annoyance. I even sit here thinking about picking out the pecans, one by one, LOL.

FutureFitChick – Yay for using a physical therapy session to break a funk.

Pam (pamaga) – LMAO at giving "raspberries" to your hunger. Sending supportive thoughts as you face the journey of your father's fading brain - it's a challenge.

maryann - Kudos for a star - such a neat idea.

maplover – Universal thought well put, "...but I need to get it into my head that I need to stay done."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 7 Plan and Monitor Your Eating

Planning what you will eat makes it so much easier to resist giving in to temptation. It's very clear: Here's what I'm supposed to eat, and here's what I'm not going to have. If dieters want to permanently lose weight, they need to learn to plan their food in advance - and to stick to that plan. In doing so, they will free themselves from the struggle, and once they become very good at it, dieting becomes so much easier. In Stage 4, you will learn how to be more flexible with your eating and will be able to make some decision about what to eat in the moment. But, first, it's important for you to learn to be an inflexible eater - one who makes a plan and stick to it absolutely. This is an essential skill that will help you maintain your weight loss for the rest of your life.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 89.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #125  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Morning coaches,

Will keep it brief today. *We went out for sushi after dd's Christmas concert and I woke up in the middle of the night in pain ... Eek. *I had leftover sushi in the fridge for a snack today but I think I'll be snacking on something else. *

Stayed OP and walked yesterday, so credit. *also sat down to eat and ate mindfully - credit.

Maryann - kudos for an OP day!!

Debbie (Lexxiss) - well done with the food at work and yay for Beck skills helping you to get there!

Pam - I love how you are giving raspberries to hunger. *I can think of lots of things I'd Iike to give raspberries to - excess food, emotional eating, and, well, myself because theyre delicious and have 0 points

maplover - big kudos for an OP day while dealing with hospital stress. *(((hugs))) to you...

onebyone - sorry about the grant ... I know so well how that feels. *It is great that they gave you positive feedback though. *Wish I lived closer so we could have coffee or something.

gardenerjoy - nice job getting back on track!

FFC - great job on your good food day! *I really think sitting down and eating slowly are important keys to this plan so kudos for focusing on them.

BillBE - lots of kudos for your focus on appropriate amounts of real food this season. *LOL at "variations on a theme"! *I actually was very proud of DD - she knew almost all of the carols this year.

Time to find some coffee ... Mmm, coffee (said in cookie monster voice) ... Happy Wednesday all!
Erika
Old 12-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #126  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Coaches- Over the last few days, I keep finding myself throwing a morsel in my mouth while standing. I've been realizing over the last few days that when I see someone eat something that's junk food/sugary/etc, I immediately crave it, even things that I know I wouldn't like but it looks sweet and tasty. Other than that, I've bee at least making sure I do my strength training. Today I tried to add a tabata set to my workout and I couldn't' finish it. I think my new goal will be able to succeed in completing a full 8 rounds instead of giving up at 3.

Overtime was successful. After my four hour, I really wanted to binge on something but I didn't. The next 12 hour was good. I was prepared with healthy food and didn't feel the need to wreck the vending machine (not that I had money). Tonight is our employee meal. I do plan to eat it but I will choose small portions. I can't skip out on every special meal every day. This will be my first test and when I get home, I'll try to work off some of that food!

Since I've been doing some overtime, I haven't done new Beck chapters. Sleep is imperative. Other than that, my brother is moving back and I suggested to my mother that we take a mini-vacation in January to celebrate to Greatwolf Lodge in Ohio. What a perfect excuse not to overindulge when you know you'll be in a bathing suit soon!
Old 12-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #127  

Hey all

Today was both good and bad; good because I lost 2.5lbs this week which I am super happy about, I am also studying part time at the moment and got my last assignment back with a really high score, its really nice to see when hard work pays off. The bad thing is my situation at work is just really getting me down, I think I am being bullied (gosh it feels weird writing that as I am nearly 30) I haven’t a clue how to deal with it which is why I am finding it so difficult. But do you know what I will not let this situation ruin my progress because that way the other person wins and I will not let that happen.

On a plus mote I have done a fair bit of spontaneous exercise today and even created a further opportunity to walk a little more by parking my car a little further away from home. I also did some planned exercise today, I am starting small with 10 min workout DVD and increasing by 5mins every fortnight.

Daimere
Well done for not binging, I know how hard this can be especially at work. Oh and well done for the advanced planning for the work meal, I hope it works out

Eusebius
Well done for the walking, I find that it really helps me clear me head and gives me some me time. Congrats for eating mindfully this is skill I am really working on mastering

BillBlueEyes
Well done for making time to do the things that keep you sane & happy, often these can be low on the priority list but they are sooo important

FutureFitChick
Well done for making good food choices even without your plan

Gardenerjoy
Well done for getting back on track

Onebyone
Well done for following your plan, I hope something positive comes out of your disappointing news

Have a good evening or day depending on where in the world you are

Mx
Old 12-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #128  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation potluck tonight - not relying on luck to get through it

Hi Coaches

Well the dentist replaced 4 fillings this morning taking out the metal ones for resin ones. He left a corner of one tooth kind of pointy. I mentioned it before I left the chair; he went after it, but apparently smoothed out some other area. O well. I see him Monday. If it's still pointy he'll fix it. What was weird was we were discussing which area to begin with, as all the fillings are being replaced pretty much, and he said we'd do the bottom ones as they are "seen when you laugh". So, this is kind of the first aesthetic thing I have ever done. I didn't need the fillings replaced. I even think I am courting disaster somewhat if it ain't broke don't fix it but there is a line of thinking that says to get the metal fillings out for health reasons (I am meh on this). Mostly it's getting done cause the insurance covers it, who knows how long we'll have insurance--certainly not forever so do it now, plus the maybe health benefits, but the aesthetics? Never occured to me. But this dentist is all about the aesthetics as he opted to replace the front fillings first. Being such a heavy coffee drinker they are already stained, but I need another cleaning in January so they'll be gone soon enough. Anyway guess I too am allowed to put my appearance first at times. I did get $ from MIL for a haircut and I got a cut and colour (copper blonde with punk red highlights hidden underneath at the front). I had "virgin" hair the hairstylist said, "a real rarity," she added.

Soon my wardrobe may not be dominated by tshirts, black yoga pants, jeans and sweatshirts.

Tomorrow is WW weigh-in day. This morning my wii fit said I was the same as yesterday. *credit for my weigh-in I need to get a watp workout in today/tonight to do all that I can to see a drop on the scale tomorrow.

This also means I need to be ever-vigilant tonight at the Weaver and Potters' Guild xmas potluck and not-so-silent-auction. I am expecting to face my greatest challenge: strange unusual food. The New is the most enticing for me, so I need to keep my goal of a decent weigh-in tomorrow uppermost in my mind.

Guess that's it for now. I need to make my cucumber slices topped with homemade hummus plus a small dollop of natural yogurt on top of that. Never had this before but it's fresh, lo-cal veggies. Can't go wrong.

Have a good evening.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #129  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks/coaches/Becksters...

Well, I have had, what is called, a 'rude awakening' the past couple days. Around 4am Sunday and Monday I woke up with just a couple of pains right where my gallbladder is. I had some of these many years ago. My gallbladder is aching a bit. I litterly have no choice but, to NOT eat certain foods at this time... certain fats, fatty meats, sugary goodies. Yesteday, I was extremely careful about fats, etc... and I had no pain. What I don't want to happen is having a big gallbladder attack in the middle of Christmas company.

It's interesting, really, how sometimes something significant needs to happen for me to 'snap out it' with crazy eating. There will be so many tempations in the next ten days.... I feel that I know what I must do.

I did some meditation today. It always makes me feel more centered. I have been writing it all down.... planning ahead.... buying the right foods.... heading back to the basics of food sanity. Thank goodness I only have to take it a day at a time.

As always, thanks for being so supportive, helpful and kind.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #130  

Well I wrote a rant this morning about how I didn’t have time, between end of the year work projects and my sick mom, to plan how to plan the time to diet as Beck wants us to do and how annoyed I was at the idea that we should fill out this grid of our activities otherwise we were sabotaging ourselves. . . This attitude was I think what made me turn away from Beck in the first place.

Then I lost the whole thing (again).

I am in a different place now. I have been participating for three years in a very vigorous self-competitive physical training program and I know what it’s like to feel every moment that you want to give up or your lungs will burst, but you don’t. So I feel I can push through this little internal argument I am having with Beck and her prissy uptight scheduling routine. So I’m just moving on.

Oh and another thing. She suggests delegating stuff. Well I live alone so there is no one to delegate to. Or not doing things—and that would be not taking care of your sick mom? I don’t think so……..

I am at the chapter where you plan your exercise routine. I will continue with the gym at least 3 times a week (starting Monday—I know, I know). The other 4 days I will alternate between run/walk and indoor rowing 5k.

Had a good day food wise. I did plan it, write it down and stuck to it. Tomorrow will be more difficult….we are having our work Christmas party and it will be heavy Italian food. I will be doing the best I can.

Here is what I accomplished today:

Read advantage card (check)
Ate slowly and sitting down (check)
One spontaneous exercise (no)
Planned exercise (walk/run)
Scheduled time for exercise (did not do this but it is a good idea)

Onebyone: sorry to hear about the grant. Love this: potluck tonight - not relying on luck to get through it. Good luck on the weigh in.

Gardenerjoy: credit you for getting back on track sooner after your trip

FFC: credit you on the resolve to focus.

Daimere: credit you for increased awareness to eating behaviors

Berverly joy: Credit you for “food sanity”

Eusebius: Credit for OP, mindfulness and walking

BBE: Yay for cooking for yourself.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:58 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Hi, Coaches & Buddies.

I had a travel day today. I am bummed that at a celebretory meal this evening that I did not savor a once in a lifetime meal and rather ate like it was the last meal of a lifetime. I haven't been this full in a really long time, which I guess I am grateful for.

I am headed to plan tomorrows meals to the best of my ability next. It will again be a travel meal, so will have to make it more vague than my normal plans as I don't have any idea where we will be stopping.

BBE, glad you are enjoying your own kitchen and fresh food!

BeverleyJoy, I'm sorry for the painful reality check. I am glad for you that you are handling before the additional stress of next week is here!

Daimere, great job on the overtime! That is a terrific success. I know you are going to have a great day sitting while eating today!

LadyM0208, I'm sorry for having to deal with a bully. That is no fun! Exercise is a great way to deal with it too.

Maplover, I appreciated your honesty in frustration with making time for the difficult demand of a healthy lifestyle. It is such a quandry compared to how women lived a generation or two ago, or at least the idyllic version of that generation. It is really hard for me to prioritize my health habits when it seems like everything wants more of my time than I have, and I don't even have kids. Bless those strong mothers out there. I try to take comfort in knowing that it is possible for us to incorporate these important habits in our lives, because people are diong it -- including those inspiring maintainers here. Wishing you peace in our joint journey of finding balance!

OneByOne, hope the weigh in is great!

Eusebius, I'm sorry for bad sushi! That is no fun. Hope you are feeling much better and your stress is diminishing every day.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #132  
Green Tomatoes

Today's big adventure was an oil change that turned into a rotor job, complete with loaner car. All in the rain. But I made reasonable food choices and stuck to the plan at the moments I could make it work. Exercise time disappeared in there somewhere so that's going to need to be a priority for the next few days.

WI: -0.15 kgs, Exercise:+0 420/1300 minutes for December, Food: 75%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

FutureFitChick: I like your focus on getting back to planning your food the day before. I stopped for awhile but have gone back to it and now it feels weird not to do it -- like something in my life is out of whack. When you were doing it well before, what worked? Is there a particular time or a particular place that you write your plan? Do you write it on the computer or paper?

BillBlueEyes: A Harry and David gift box is a terrific source of fruit!

eusebius: yay for the credits, boo for the pain. Hope you're feeling better!

onebyone: sorry I missed you yesterday. The grant thing sucks, but I'm glad it doesn't feel like a personal rejection. Yay for homemade soup!

Daimere: one of my favorite things to say to myself is "it's not about me." This lets me ignore everything from Christmas candy at the drugstore to snacks on the counter at my sister-in-law's house. If it's not on my plan, then it's not about me and that makes it easier for me to walk away. Good job not letting overtime become an excuse for overeating -- that's an excellent example of how to not use food as compensation (one of my difficult areas).

ladym0208: ouch for the bullying. It does happen to nearly 30 year olds (but not so much when you get over 40, I'm pleased to say). Hope you find a healthy path through that. Yay for the scale and exercise successes.

onebyone, again: sounds like over all good stuff for a dentist appointment. I had braces in my thirties -- I needed them to pull down an adult tooth that finally decided twenty years late that it wanted to erupt. It was surprisingly difficult to find an orthodontist that wasn't more interested in the aesthetics than the medical problem. I totally refused to go to the guy who promised me a great smile. I have always had a great smile, thank-you-very-much, and it has not one thing to do with my teeth!
Love your hair color. I started coloring mine about the time I got serious about losing weight and I think it really has helped me have some fun with my appearance, something I never really thought about doing before. At the moment, I'm going with a warm brown that's trending toward burgundy.
Hope your pot luck went well (and yay for relying on a plan instead of luck to get through it).

Beverlyjoy: ouch for a finicky gall bladder. Glad you're finding a sane, healthy, and centered approach.

maplover: I swear I spent half my time in the beginning being mad at Beck over some thing or other (and the other half marveling at how well it was working). The good news is you don't have to be perfect at it and you don't have to like it to make it work. I even delight in breaking a rule here and there -- it pleases my inner rebel to do it my way and I think it makes me more willing to follow some of the other rules.

FutureFitChick, again: I find even a vague plan works better than no plan -- hope it works that way for you, too.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:09 AM   #133  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Close to on plan, CREDIT moi. The evening was a challenge with a BIG buffet spread, but CREDIT moi for seriously ignoring the cheeses and commercial cookies. I even avoided dipping into the dessert table by remembering my box of Harry and David at home.

onebyone – Yay for homemade hummus - I love that stuff. And Yay also for thinking about wardrobe changes; feeling good about our appearance really support good habits.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Ouch for unexpected car troubles. Having it happen in the rain sounds like a novelist building up the aura of gloom, LOL. Kudos for reasonable food choices anyway.

Erika (eusebius) – Yay for going out for a walk in December. Thanks for the reminder to be sure of the source of sushi. Hope you've recovered.

Beverlyjoy – Ouch for the reality of the human body. Kudos for "back to the basics of food sanity."

FutureFitChick – Love the wordplay, "once in a lifetime meal and rather ate like it was the last meal of a lifetime" - it's just so easy to find a reason. Good luck on your travel day.

maplover – Ouch for an overwhelming schedule. Major Kudos for facing your feelings about the stuff to be done using the Beck strategies. I absolutely love the thought, "her prissy uptight scheduling routine" - I find it so easy to stuff my negative feelings toward Beck's strategies, huff and puff, and then go forward. Good luck sticking to your path during a difficult time.

ladym0208 – Congrats on that high score on your assignment. I, too, think one can be bullied at any age. It's a challenge to bring the problem to a supervisor when you don't want to seem like a complainer. Good luck finding a way to firmly stand your ground until the bully(ies) find something else to amuse themselves.

Daimere – Kudos for doing the overtime without nibbling your way through it. Such a neat idea to plan a mini-vacation for motivation to stay the course.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 7 Plan and Monitor Your Eating

Think back to the last time you lost weight and then gained it back. Do you remember how disappointed you were when your weight had gone up? Did you have to return to larger-sized clothing? Why didn't you stop yourself then, get back on track, and lose the few pounds you had regained? The answer is you probably couldn't. It's certainly not your fault - you didn't know how. You had never learned the skill of inflexible eating, of making yourself stick to a plan.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 90.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #134  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Morning coaches,

Well, I struggled again yesterday. * The evening was really rough. *First, while I was teach ing a lesson, the Christmas tree just randomly fell over. *We weren't even anywhere near it - it just toppled, lights, decorations, and all. *So I had to delay dinner for nearly an hour while we tried to put it back up again. *As a result, my hand really hurts and I will have to take a break from knitting (and possibly practicing, w hich is pretty dire right now). *So the crazy thoughts started spinning and I got into the food. *

Great big OH WELL from me. Back on track today. *Sigh. *My mantra today is going to be "stay with the body sensations and let the thoughts go.". That usually helps.

I need to stop typing now so I will have to skip personals for today, but I am reading all your posts and thinking of you all
Erika
Old 12-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #135  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Morning coaches!
Last night I didn't get an extra plate (that they were offering to everyone). Although I did take multiple salads. I did have an upsetting thing happen to me after I got off work. I wanted to tear up my kitchen. I didn't. Credit moi.

Although I've asked my husband if I can attend to one of the large hooping retreats. He actually tentively said yes. I explained it that if my plans go right, I will be at my smallest weight in adulthood. I would be surpassing the weight I was when I last quit. It'd be a great motivation to attend it 60 pounds lighter, riding a plane and not worry, and be a half way reward. The great thing is this would be an amazingly active reward, too!

I'm planning a lot of overtime in the next few weeks. But the most important things will be accomplished! I have been trying my hand at positive affirmations though. I gotta do a bit of hooping and sleep!
Closed Thread