Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #271  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Our Christmas celebration at the Missouri Botanical Garden and Thai restaurant went as planned except colder and windier than I expected, or dressed for. Rather than attempt to eat myself back to warmth, I took a hot bath as soon as I got home. Then proceeded with my planned snacks and supper. Credit!

WI: NA kgs, Exercise:+70 1230/1300 minutes for December, Food: 95%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, melroseg2002!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #272  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

I did not stick to my dinner plan. I thought we'd be going someplace I would be able to order my own thing, but we went for pizza instead. I did not get vegetarian nor was it particularly low fat. But, I did stop at three squares of pizza. We did a lot of grazing this afternoon. But, there were many times I selected cucumbers without dip over a cracker with dip or the salty sweet mix.

Also, I weighed and gave my younger brother a box of chocolate covered marshmallows my MIL had given me for Christmas. There was a bit of hesitation to do so, as I really wanted to taste one before giving it away. But, I did not track what I ate this afternoon and tonight (and probably won't get to it before I head to bed). I should be able to make a reasonable plan in the morning for food.

I am also going to get back in to reading my cards slowly and also tracking my hunger. I've let my "hunger" (or lack thereof before eating) get totally out of hand in the last month.

BeverleyJoy, sending supportive thoughts for your aunt. Great job for not turing to unhealthy food when you are sick. That is a tough one for me.

BillBlueEyes, glad you got in some birding and a hike. That sounds great! You also reminded me that not having to choose what to eat can be a gift in itself.

Eusebius, great job thinking ahead for your party and getting in yoga!

GardenerJoy, I'm glad your celebration went as planned, except for the cold. Great response using a bath and not food to warm up!

Lexxiss, great job focusing on Beck and SB. Also, terrific job getting in your exercise.

MapLover, great job getting that stuff out of the house when it was trapping you. Thanks also for the reminder that this takes energy and time everyday to succeed for life.

MelroseG2002, welcome to the group! This is an excellent bunch of people and I hope you will like it here.

PamAtGA, it sounds like there are lots of exciting changes coming for you this year! Great news about the job,
Old 12-31-2011, 12:52 AM   #273  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default letting things go...

Hi coaches

I spent the day compiling an application for an art exhibition to be held inthe Spring of 2013.
Yes, more than one year from now.

I have been pretty much mulling this over for days, with today being the last possible day for me to get it all down on paper. This was an app for my drawing group and it needed the following:
10 images plus corresponding list of images
proposal
artist statement plus cv no more than 4 pages total (we are 3 people so that meant a 1 pg cv for each of us--tough--and one member was AWOL, and we knew she'd be except I thought I already had her 1 pg cv... I didn't! The one I had was 4 pgs long--I snipped it mercilessly!)
cover page with a 25 word max synopisis (that took over 2 hours to get right)
detailed budget
production and installation costs

The deadline for the application was midnight Dec 30th. They wanted a zip file of all this stuff in it. At 11:45 I find that a new updated cv has arrived for the AWOL member. This means the completed zip file is trashed, the new file needs to be renamed into the app format and the old file replaced, all while DH is telling me I am "doing it wrong and to do it this way" ie his way. I got completely flustered and had to calm myself with some deep breathing. I did it his way, he zipped the files, I sent them off, and it was date stamped 12:01am ARGH!!!!! I can only hope they take a look at it before they decide we did not meet the deadline. But, technically, we didn't meet the deadline.

I sure want to eat over this. I am hungry, angry and tired, though not lonely.
I think I will just head to bed and relax with a good book. There must be one of those around here somewhere.

Have a good night this final night of 2011.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:27 AM   #274  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Welcome Melissa (melroseg2002)

Melissa (melroseg2002)

And, in case you didn't get this seven and a half years ago,

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck thread on 3FC?

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 12-31-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:30 AM   #275  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - New Years Eve

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Only did OK at a party because there was a box of dark chocolate covered roasted pecans with dried cranberries. I had several - Ouch. That's a candy from my childhood that the kids weren't allowed to have because it was reserved for the grownups. Methinks I still fight that one whenever I see a box.

Had a light dinner, CREDIT moi, of leftover 13 bean soup. Bean soup just gets better and better in the fridge.

onebyone Congrats for getting that application together. Here's hoping that they accept that Toronto is a laid back place where clocks can be off a minute. Kudos for thinking book instead of food to deal with tired.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Big Kudos for choosing a hot bath rather than trying to eat yourself warm.

Erika (eusebius) Congrats on your five pound goal. Kudos for a clear plan for your party.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Like to be reminded, "I deserve to put myself first." [Thanks for the kind words.]

Beverlyjoy Sending supportive thoughts as you face the situation with your aunt. Smart move to bring all the cookies and candy to the party.

FutureFitChick Big Kudos for giving away the box of chocolate covered marshmallows instead of trying one. Ouch for the change of plans that left you with a group ordered pizza.

Pam (pamaga) Yay for a job to distract you until April 15th. And Yay for being required to come up to speed on the latest tax laws to keep the old brain active. And there's no reason why "Enriching my life" can't also enrich your pocketbook, LOL. [Thanks for the reminder that "showing up" is half the battle.]

maplover Thanks for the N.Y.Times link; Yep, maintenance requires work. But then so does marriage, children, a job, maintaining a house or car, and many other things we value.

Melissa (melroseg2002) You're moving right along to get to Day 6 - Find a Diet Coach. Yep, we'll be glad to serve as your collective Diet Coach and ask that you assume that role for us. There are several folks in the early days of the Pink Book, so you'll find good company.

It's so neat to have such a tangible goal as your hike on the Appalachian Trail this June. Will you do an overnight carrying a full pack? Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 8 Follow Your Plan, No Matter What

<peeking ahead>
If I eat this unplanned food, I'll get momentary pleasure, but then I'll definitely feel bad afterward. It's not worth it.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 95.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #276  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck folks - yesterday was a mostly healthy day. I took my salad to the party for our former neighbors who were back in town for a visit. I was told there would be turkey sub sandwiches. But, when I arrived all they had to eat was pepperoni pizza. I filled my plate with salad and a small amount of lite dressing. I took a piece of pizza, took off the cheese and pepperoni and ate the crust with pizza sauce. (no seconds - Credit!) I brought all the candy, cookies, etc to the party. (to actually get rid of them Credit!) I allowed my self a couple tastes of homemade carmel candy and 2 white chocolate covered mini pretzels. When I got home I had a boomerang effect of eating so very little - and my snack ended up being a couple hundred calories over my top level. Phooey.

I did write down everything I ate, had lots of water, left a bite, no seconds, did a lot of journaling, did my stretches & strengthening, and more.

Today is quiet… planning to watch Bowl Games and some basketball. Maybe I won’t fall asleep before the New Year. LOL

Billbe - I also want to thank you for being here and maintaining the Beck forum Sure do appreciate the time and effort you put in this. Thanks again.

Map lover - that article is distressing… however, it said most gain it back weight (to their disordered bodies), not all do. Let’s hope the Beck folks are the ones that can maintain. Yes! Credit for getting the pnb and Lara Bars out of the house.

Lexiss/Debbie - you are doing MANY things right… credit for setting yourself up to have food sanity. It’s so nice when we can be back home in our food comfort zones. YAY for weighing less than last year at this time… I am doing a happy dance in your honor.

Melroseg2002 - WELCOME!!! So glad you posted. The Beck techniques are very helpful. Folks here are friendly, wise, and supportive.

Pam - yes, I agree about Billbe! Credit for hopping back on your plan and doing so many things to move forward in weight loss and living with food. It’s exciting to hear of your job for this coming tax season. It’s even more exciting to think about graduate school.

Erika - credit for planning ahead and bringing something healthy to the gathering. YAY on the weight loss!

Gardener/joy - credit for a healthy meal at the restaurant and eating your planned snacks only when you got home.

Futurefitchick - good job giving away the candy to your brother!!! Sounds like a good plan getting back to Beckisms that you know will help and work for you

Onebyone - I hope your application goes well for you. Credit for heading to bed with a good book instead of unplanned eating.

Billbe - ouch on the candy - and the memories of not having it when you were a little boy. Soon all the parties will be about over. Credit on the healthy soup…. Yes, soup tastes better every day it sits!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 12-31-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #277  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

Wishing you all a Happy New Year a tad bit early! I was on my recumbent bike at 7am (credit) when I got called in to work. I DID take time to drink my morning smoothie and made good food choices at work. I did have 2 pieces of SF candy that someone had brought in but stuck to my "usual" lunch of blueberries/banana/PB and WW bread. I pitched many fries and resisted other foods, too. *credit* Got called to mom's where DH was watching Lakers vs Nuggets and got drawn into holiday snacking (again) but stopped. I want to go out to dinner tonight and be able to make a reasonable choice

Welcome Melissa! What a nice goal you have in June! One day at a time works best for me, and Beck Diet Solution helps me stay focused on staying the course.

BillBlueEyes, hip hip hooray for 13 bean soup!

Pam(atga), a great day you had yesterday! *credit*

onebyone, keeping my fingers crossed on your app! *credit* for heading to bed with a good book.

Erika(eusebius), yay for a good scale reading which motivates you to keep healthy this weekend.

gardenerjoy, yes, a hot bath is a better cure for being cold than food!

FutureFitChick, good for you giving the candy to your brother without tasting!

Beverlyjoy, how frustrating that there was no turkey sub! You did a great job of improvising, even though you were a little over your top level.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:06 PM   #278  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Happy New Year coaches! We are about to start our little family tradition of watching the annual music video cheesefest on MuchMusic (Canadian MTV) before watching the countdown to midnight. The party last night was lovely although more food (and wine) was consumed than I had planned. Still, it was not a pig-out, and the scale went up only 0.4 this morning (still at my 5 lb goal … woot!) So I still have some hope that I can start 2012 with a loss and a 5 pound reward - yarn

gardenerjoy - Nice job bathing rather than eating for warmth!

FFC - Very impressive that you were able to give the chocolate covered marshmallows away. You won't regret it!

onebyone - crossing fingers that your application will be accepted!

BillBE - 13 bean soup sounds wonderful!! Ouch for pecans - I'm sure I would have trouble resisting those too.

Beverlyjoy - Nice job at the party! I have certainly experienced that boomerang effect but I'm sure the 200 calories or so will not have a huge effect.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Nice work dealing with unexpected challenges today. Thanks for the reminder of "one day at a time" - I can't hear that often enough.

Looking forward to a wonderful 2012 in your company coaches - I am so grateful to have all of you in my life!
cheers
Erika
Old 12-31-2011, 11:23 PM   #279  
Green Tomatoes

2011 stats:
Starting weight: 177.3 pounds
Highest weight: 182 pounds
Lowest weight: 166.8 pounds
Ending weight: 169.2 pounds

I'm happy with that! I'll play around in 2012 to see if I can nudge the number a little lower, but if I end up with 170 as my red line maintenance weight, that's okay, too.

WI: -1.2kgs (last weighed before Christmas), Exercise:+75 1305/1300 minutes for December, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

FutureFitChick: yay for giving away candy! Ouch for the pizza, but good for you for finding some restraint. Does pizza occur often enough in your life that you need a plan to deal with it? My method is a big salad and one slice. Well, and avoidance if I can talk the group into anything else.

BillBlueEyes: Yay for leftover bean soup to counteract the notion of candy for grown-ups (that's a tough one).

Beverlyjoy: yay for all the great ways of handling things at the party. Sorry for the boomerang bit. That's another tough one -- especially when you had a plan for the party and you couldn't implement it.

Lexxiss: great job at the restaurant, especially when called in at the last minute!

eusebius: Sounds like a fun New Year's Eve!

Happy New Year, everyone!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:46 AM   #280  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Happy New Year, Coaches and Buddies.

I weighed this morning (12/31) and am -.5 from yesterday. I did not write out, but created a loose plan for today, which I followed pretty well. I did get tripped up by DH's fries at a Bowling alley today. I don't know why. They weren't very good looking or tasting. I monitored my before, during, and after hunger levels and found I was eating when I really wasn't hungry. As a result, I spent time reviewing days 1 - 23 in the pink book.

BeverleyJoy, bummer about the negative rebound after your stellar performance in your rerouted plan! Lots of credit to you for selecting so well at the event!!

BillBlueEyes, bummer on those dark chocolates. 13 beans sound impressive! Also, I want to second Beverley's note of thanks for your work here. I am so grateful this thread is always going strong, especially when I am trying to get regrounded with Beck. Thank you!!!!

Eusebius, hope your NYE events went well. And, I really hope you reach that 5 pound goal today!

GardenerJoy, I liked your summary stats from 2011 and goals for 2012. Pizza lately has been made only at home from scratch, so this was unusual to get it out (and my favorite kind). So, I would have been willing to make a plan for it, had I known. Any more, we avoid it on a regular basis.

Lexxiss, it sound like you did pretty well! And, you got back on plan when you strayed a litle bit.

OneByOne, so sorry to hear about your +1 minute! I had that happen to me in Novmber on a Letter of Intent for a grant. I hope you have better luck than I did for the extension.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #281  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Discussion continues on the January 2012 Thread

Please join us as this discussion continues on

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck...ddy-coach.html

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Closed Thread