Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:07 AM   #241  

Coaches/buddies

I get the rationale that Beck wants us to weigh every day. What I have to remember is that the number on the scale is just one more piece of information. I need to stop attaching personal feelings of self worth to it one way or the other.

Pretty successful day yesterday. I did plan my food (credit me) and kept to it mostly. I did begin automating my advantages (visions) and my response cards.

My new visions:

I will be healthy in old age
I will achieve my goals at the gym
My ankles will not bother me
I can run with ease
I will no longer obsess about food
I will be able to recognize and counter the crafty ways I try to deceive myself about food
I will feel better about myself
I will attract people
I will not be scared to date
I will not cringe from photos
I will look great
I will not have a bulging stomach
I will wear smaller sizes
I will be slim and I will feel slim

Lost .2

Thanks for being there!

FYI: Pink and green seem pretty similar, but green is more informative (for me) and less like a jail sentence.

BBE: hope the bad stuff is soon gone. Your book sounds fascinating!

FFC: hope you can say "oh well" to yesterday's perceived bad day.

onebyone: good for you for leaving food on your plate at the restaurant. Your words about our unhealthy consumerist society really rang a bell with me. This mirrors our unhealthy relationships with food, no?

maryann:
as you said. It's not as bad as the last time and credit you for getting on the scale.

Lexxiss: credit you for the planning. Hope it worked out.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #242  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

Hey Everyone!

We’ve been running like crazy people but I’m finally able to stop by and say Hi. I should have more time these next few days.

My stay on plan goal wasn’t as successful as I’d hoped. We’re eating at friends’ houses a lot and I have a little of the ‘I’m just enjoying myself’ attitude. Not going totally overboard but I’m probably up, not sure how much. I’m going to make time for some workouts these next few days and will be able to control food better. I want to hit my 185 goal by Jan 1; will probably get on the scale today or tomorrow (just need to unpack it from the car). My jeans still fit so I’m hopeful

I did get my Tony Luc’s sandwich and it was divine!

I'll try to stay ontop of stuff here and get back to personals! I did read a bunch today
Old 12-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #243  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, All.
Last day of Xmasing today and I am happy. My sister is leaving tonite is leaving tonite. But I still have food challenges today. Yesterday I had one bad meal. Credit for not making it a bad day. Credit for seeing through on my exercise, weighing in (two pounds from ticker) and writing my food plan for today. I hear BBE about getting back to a safe environment. Although, we are heading for Orlando. I must learn how to practice this program in any place. This is Day 30 (again) about eating out. Beck's premise is it is basically always a special occasion and I must practice my resistance muscle and not overeat despite the circumstance.
Hello to all.

Last edited by maryann; 12-27-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #244  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi friends... I made it through yesterday within my calorie range - I am grateful. I stayed pretty much with my plan. However, I added bite of homemade truffles and some nuts that taste like the ones from a Cracker Jack Box. (I ended up at the high range of calories) These things need to get out of my sight. However, aside from the above mentioned goodies - the house has mostly been cleared of very tempting foods.

I did have some credits yesterday - I wrote down a plan, stayed pretty well with it, wrote down & counted in everything I ate, did my stretches & strengthening, had a lot of water and tried to carry on with my plan.

Wednesday's are my 'official' weigh in day. My scale was in our bathroom attached to our bedroom, where my son & his family all slept. I wasn't willing to tiptoe through the bedroom to weigh while they were sleeping. I had been thinking of weighing today, but, woke up and drank a huge glass of water. (Heaven forbid weighing after drinking water. LOL) I guess I must admitt that I wanted to wait one more day, too. It's that old time thinking of not just using the scale as informtion.

Maryann - major credit for not taking an off plan day into the whole day. I think it’s major.

Fyrefie - sometimes ‘not going overboard’ is a big credit. Soon all this extra food and goodies will not be so tempting. Get ready to hop right back on your plan and you’ll be fine.

Map-lover
- you said: What I have to remember is that the number on the scale is just one more piece of information. It’s also hard for me to not look at that number on the scale with so much judgment. They say those thoughts will pass over time. Wonderful visions list.

Billbe - I hear ya on getting the goodies out of our homes so we can have more of a ‘food comfort zone’ - where the temptations are less. I’ve always agree with Dr. Beck on her thoughts of making your environment easier to live in. Your new book sounds great.

Futurefitchick - it seems that many of us have had a struggle during this time of the year. Let’s face it… we are bombarded with treats, family favorites and much more. Hop right back on your plan and you will be OK.

Onebyone - it IS amazing how when we actually keep track of our extra food - how much it all adds up to. You have been doing so, so very well. Now you/we need to go back to what we know works. CREDIT for leaving a bite.

Lexxiss/Debbie - major credit for stopping the ‘snack fast’. It’s often a hard thing to do. Plus.. Walking away from having dinner and going to sleep.

t-azzy - aren’t you glad the chocolate fest is over. Hop back on your plan and you will be OK.

gardener joy - hoping you had a nice Christmas. (yes, glop doesn’t sound very appetizing - but, it’s funny how family things get names.) It is delicious.

Daimere - I hope you are feeling better. Credit for NOT eating that donut.

I am wishing you all the willingness to move forward to our food plans.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 12-27-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #245  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

GD everyone! I have read all of your posts for the past several days so I am up to speed. It sounds like everyone had similar challenges to overcome and also that most of you "survived" the excess of the "feast" day(s) we seem to celebrate en mass.

I took off the weekend so that I could "chill". The past three winters have been quite hard on me physically because of my rheumatoid arthritis. I find it difficult to move about without a lot of pain. I missed Midnight Mass and Christmas Day Mass. For a practicing Catholic to miss a High Holy Day is, well, unheard of. I do and I accept that with "resignation". I know God knows. I just plain hurt too much to get dressed. I have learned to take this in stride since "it is what it is". We often talk about traveling during the winter but quite honestly if I feel this way in Atlanta, I am sure I would be much worse farther north.

Since my ulcer has returned, I have also had to scale way back on my pain meds as well. I slept more during the weekend to allow myself to enjoy the rest of the day. I find bundling up in lots of clothes and blankets and burrowing under really helped a lot. I ate one meal on Christmas and then had difficulty with digesting it. Like Bill, I was fine until I began baking on Christmas night. Snicker doodles were one of the many varieties I made. My plan is to send my family some of the homemade recipes we all grew up on. I wanted to send these before Christmas but since I was sick, the "baking date" got postponed further and further. Now, they will all receive them sometime after New Year's Day. Since I am the only one who is dieting, they won't care.

I spent several hours on the phone with my son, who lives in Philly, who had major surgery on the 22nd. He had a couple of rough nights but he sounded like he was on the mend by Christmas Day night. To me, that was my Christmas present; knowing he was okay. I had left multiple messages on his cell phone and when he didn't respond I texted his roommate who then told me about what was going on. I am glad it is now past. He said to me, "I don't know why you left all of those voicemail messages. Why didn't you just go on Facebook. I was on there for awhile." Gee, I forgot, what did we do before Facebook?

onebyone I hear you about the calories in foods and how it seems so little makes such a big difference. It is the one indisputable fact about calorie counting that just plain SUCKS. It is then that I feel the most deprived; when I have to make choices that I would prefer not to. My first buddy challenge will be this: counting calories and sticking within our recommended calorie range. If there is a better way to lose weight (short of cutting off part of my intestine) I would like someone to tell me. I doubt it. You just plain have to eat less than your body uses to lose weight. It is just that simple.

Your telling of the discount store sounded bleak. I have a counter-intuitive way of dealing with that "lack of hope". I give until it hurts. I was so touched by a card and words that one of the Carmelites in Paul's community sent to us: Here is her exact words: "God has been so generous to me this year that I am called to "pay it forward", so to speak. ...thank you for your prayers for Bernie (her husband died from cancer in 2011) during his long illness. He was strong and brave but the disease was brutal. So many blessings came about as a result of his struggle that I am more convinced than ever that God makes good out of every one of our trials and crosses."

Not only did she share these words but also a $50 gift card to our favorite grocery store. We do not share gifts either. I too was moved by the Spirit to give in abundance this year. I wanted only to give out of my "excess" this past year. That was my gift to myself.

On Christmas night, I asked Paul to share what he felt were his blessings for this past year as I did mine. All of you are one of those many blessings.

Love and peace

Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 12-27-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #246  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Is this procrastination?

A belated Feliz Navidad to you all!

This was only my second Christmas away from my KY family. I handled it much better than the first year, although I woke up on Christmas morning extremely sensitive and prone to weepiness. I was mad at myself for being sad because I am GLAD not to have been doing all that stressful travel. But when I got weepy again after my DP cut me off from sneaking into the kitchen to munch on a sausage ball (a holiday tradition in my bio fam), my emotional reaction sent me into the bathroom, where I made myself just cry it out. I reapplied the makeup, and ended up having one of my favorite Christmases ever, and watched my grazing and portions during our THREE different events. Credit.

Today is a different issue. An UGH, aimless kind of day. I had all good intentions of exercise after driving DP to the chiropractor and then making a quick return. But since arriving home, I have organized the wrapping paper purchased, and am in the process of cleaning the files of one of our computers. Why am I attending to these miscellaneous tasks instead of focusing in on something like exercise, always guaranteed to generate the feeling of productivity? While the computer goes through its cleaning, I've been reading all of your posts, and trying to get myself off the bed.

Really, I think I'm trying to determine what is the best task for me to accomplish this evening: exercise OR organize myself for a day of writing? My gut tells me the latter, although it will make for four days without a rigorous work out. Which puts me into a grumpy mood. But if I don't accomplish this objective (set over a WEEK ago, mind) nothing will get done tomorrow in terms of writing. And I think THIS is the root of my general aimlessness. ::sigh::

I'm also struggling with how to escape from the family in order to write. My serious dissertation writing takes place in the nearby College library, which is closed during this week. In addition, we've had a shift in cars. My DP's daughter has taken over the payment for one of the cars, which basically means that the DP and I are sharing the other car, which means that I feel I can't just pack up and leave the house for some writing. Writing at home -- not an option. Public transportation -- must walk a not-very-safe mile with an expensive laptop to get to it, so not an option. The DP would be perfectly happy to drop me some where, but for some reason this dependency frustrates me. I need to figure out how this will look for my writing. Now I'm going to constantly have to coordinate with the DP's schedule. And the prospect of this is already frustrating me.

So let me try to set some objectives for this evening:
* Eat dinner before it gets too late!
* Put the split pea soup on the stove.
* Locate my diss materials in the house.
* Talk to the DP about tomorrow. And plan to have a longer, realistic talk about this general situation.
* Make a food plan for tomorrow.

For smart-phone users: Any good applications out there for making a food plan and tracking it? (Not just a food tracker, in other words.)

Thanks for always being here!
Old 12-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #247  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm still in a holiday mindset that involves too much food and too little exercise. It would have been better to not get in that mindset in the first place -- I've put little reminders in my Tickler for next year to see if I can cut it off before it starts. Because I did better last year than this year and I believe I can do better next year.

I trust that I will get back where I want to be even if I didn't make it there today.

BillBlueEyes: I bought The History of the World in 100 Objects for a nephew's girlfriend -- kind of the perfect gift for someone I don't know that well because who wouldn't be enthralled?

maplover: weighing every day gets easier! The more I do it, the more it becomes just data. I put my morning weight in an Excel spreadsheet and have a graph of it -- which helps with that whole data thing. A good reminder, since I seem to have given up that practice around the holidays. I need to get back to it. Green worked better for me, too. I finally did go back and do pink, but it took a lot of determination and discipline. Hmm. I'm thinking that going back through the green book might be just what I need to get back on track. Requesting from the library...
Old 12-28-2011, 05:22 AM   #248  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Another day of Christmas nibbling - Ouch. Good news is that the Snicker doodles are virtually gone (i.e. the last three have been dibbed). I need a whack upside the head.

My walk, CREDIT moi, included a computer store looking for a tool that compresses connectors onto the coax cable for our TV/Internet. Shopping for tools is such a good time.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – So obvious after the fact, "It would have been better to not get in that mindset in the first place" - yet so easy to fall in the pit. Thanks for the reminder that we don't have to go there.

Beverlyjoy – It's been years, so how can my brain so clearly remember, "some nuts that taste like the ones from a Cracker Jack Box?"

Mary (MaryContrary) – Oh Yes, Monster Kudos for controlling your grazing over three events. I could use some help in that procrastination area.

Pam (pamaga) – Sending supportive thoughts for more pain free mobility. LOL at your DS's Facebook reference; I've attempted to tell my kids family news I've just received over the phone only to meet disdain since it's been on Facebook for hours.

maryann - Yep, "it is basically always a special occasion."

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Just drooling, "I did get my Tony Luc’s sandwich and it was divine!"

maplover – Recognize the word 'crafty' in, "I will be able to recognize and counter the crafty ways I try to deceive myself about food."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 7 Plan and Monitor Your Eating

reality check
If you are thinking: I just don't want to do this. I really don't think I have to. I can just plan in my head.
Face reality: If you don't learn this important skill now, you will be at an extremely high risk of not reaching your goal to lose weight for good. Ask yourself, Which is more important to me? Not planning my food or getting to keep off weight for the rest of my life?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 95.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #249  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

A quick check in. I weighed this morning, up a few, no big deal. I'm looking forward to a return to food normalcy. Yesterday's holiday goodies were offset by extremely good choices the rest of the day. My highlight, in addition to having my "usual" work lunch (PB/Banana/Blueberry sandwich), was pitching the two french fries that had fallen off a plate before I served it. It's not about the calories but IS about the healthy habit.

Take care everyone!
Old 12-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #250  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.
Weight up this morning despite a great OP day yesterday. Great because food was nearly perfect (always a rarity), great because I didn't let some family members constant heckling passive aggressiveness drive me to food; great because I decided to cut my losses and get my son and I out of the line of fire two hours early. Last nite and this morning were slow going because I felt I had been run over by a truck. I took my only healthy options - told the truth, cried, got a good night sleep, tried not to take it out on DS and DH, sprung (or emotionally limped) into action this morning and finally am feeling a little better by 10:30. The past is past. OP today, getting ready for the big Orlando trip on Friday. Hanging out with DS getting some work done and then errands.

BBE: Fie on snickernoodles. Take your vorpal blade and go "snicker snack" upon them. (lewiss carroll allusion)
Gardenerjoy: I really want to start some kind of spread sheet for my daily weight. I am just not computer savvy. I'll have to ask a techie friend for help.
Pamatga: Glad your son is well. You are right. That is the best Xmas gift.
Lexxiss: Yeh for healthy choices and a big "Oh Well" to the scale.

Last edited by maryann; 12-28-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #251  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi beckfolks/coaches/friends.. I stayed with my plan yesterday.. I am grateful. I did take a taste of a chocolate truffle. I counted it in. However, it would be better to plan for a treat. I put the candy in the garage. But, I know it's there. I need to enlist DH to find a place for it that I don't know about. LOL

Wonderful news... I actually lost weight over the last week. I am so, so grateful for the willingness to try. I watched very carefully to not eat foods that would upset my stomach or overeat. I am grateful for the willingness. I now have a new mini goal. It's exciting. I am so so glad that most of that heavy holiday food and goodies are gone.

Yesterday - I planned, wrote down what I ate, concentrated on TASTING the food, tried to slow down, lots of water, stretches & strengthening, journaled, said Not Fair/Oh well and more.

Today I went to the store to get some healthy things to have in the house. I am working on my 'friendly' environment.

Maryann
- big credit for NOT letting family stuff derail your plans.

Lexxiss/debbie - you are SO right. It's not the calories in the two French fries... - it's the principle of living with healthy habits.

Billbe - hooray that the cookies are about GONE! It will be so much better to have your home more 'food plan friendly'. Credit on your walk.

gardenerjoy - credit for thinking ahead to next year... ways to remind yourself and your food/eating goals.

pam - I am sorry to hear that your r. arthritis is so painful at times. It's hard living with a chronic health challenge. Yes - the very best present is your son doing well after his surgery. Soon cookie baking days will be OVER.

marycontrary - it can be so hard to be away from family/home at Christmas. So glad it turned into a wonderful day. I hope you can figure out the best way to manuever your writing time/place this week.

I hope everyone has a good day. It's almost 2012 - a fresh beginning.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #252  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Evening coaches,

Just got through catching up on everyone's posts. *What a relief that the food minefields of the holidays are mostly behind us now and we can get back to our normal ways of eating. *I am certainly looking forward to that.

I've pretty much maintained my weight over the holidays, which is about as much as I could have asked for. *There are still a lot of leftover goodies in the fridge, which is at least better than having them out on the counter. *I will let them go until next week and then ask for them to be chucked out. *

The weather looks good for tomorrow, so I am looking forward to getting out for a walk as a break from a solid day of practicing. *Yay! *Not sure what dinner will be, but DH has been very good about cooking points-friendly items for me. *I am very blessed in this respect!

Today I went to see the play "2 Pianos 4 Hands" with my mom - a very clever combination of a comedy about being a piano student with a musical performance. *A nice thing for us to do together. *

I'm trying an experiment - posting in the evening rather than the morning, because most of my suboptimal eating behaviour occurs after dinner. *I hope this will serve as a good motivator for me. *Thanks as always for reading and being there for me. *I hope to get to personals tomorrow.

Cheers,
Erika

Last edited by eusebius; 12-28-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #253  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches & Buddies.

Me: Blech!

BeverleyJoy, great job making a plan and sticking to it. Thanks for your encouragement. Your positivity was awesome to read tonight (re: yesterday).

BillBlueEyes, good job for adjusting your environment.

Eusebius, best of luck on the strategy of posting after dinner! Great thinking!

FyreFlie24, good luck getting to 185!

GardenerJoy, good luck hopping back in to the green book.

Lexxis, great job pitching those fries.

Maplover, not equating self-worth with the number on the scale is really tough. Sometimes I can do it. Sometimes I cannot. Some days I do not weigh because I know how I'm feeling and that the scale will read higher than yesterday and that would make me even worse. (Not advice, just where I'm at.)

Maryann, great job for thinking ahead about your trip to FL and ways to manage it. Sorry yesterday was rough for you, but it sounds like you definitely handled it in a way to not sabotage yourself.

MaryContrary, that is terrific news that your holiday turned out so well! I also hope your exercise happened yesterday so that you could have a day focused on writing. Best of luck figuring out the automobile situation. Is biking a possibility?

PamAtGA, sending comforting thoughts your way regarding RA making you miss mass.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:02 AM   #254  
Green Tomatoes

This was the Beck Diet Solution Facebook status today:
Wednesday Sabotaging Thought: My eating has been so bad lately, I’ll just wait until the New Year to get back on track. Response: Absolutely not! I will get back on track right now because every minute I eat off track is another minute I feel bad about myself and my eating. It’s worth it to me to get back on track now and start the New Year off right.

How did she know exactly what I was thinking?

So, being completely found out, I hopped back on plan today. It wasn't as hard as I feared it would be.

WI: NA kgs, Exercise:+75 1080/1300 minutes for December, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 12-29-2011, 06:03 AM   #255  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Chose to walk (CREDIT moi) to do an errand when I wanted to drive because it was a bit cold. Hard to justify owning warm clothes if I don't use them, LOL.

Ran into the thought that I should nibble a bit more - like Christmas isn't really over yet. So tried NO CHOICE and had some raw carrots instead. CREDIT moi.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – It drives me bonkers when the Sabotaging Thoughts in a printed book match exactly what I am thinking. Like a violation of my privacy, LOL.

Erika (eusebius) – Yay for a good play to break up the day.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – The great thing about tossing those two French fries is that they are so easy to rationalize; Big Kudos.

Beverlyjoy – Can't do better than "stayed with my plan yesterday."

FutureFitChick – May today be less "Blech!"

maryann - `Twas brillig taking care of yourself when facing passive aggressive behaviors; Kudos.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 7 Plan and Monitor Your Eating

You will continue writing down your daily eating plan, carrying your Diet Notebook to monitor in writing you eat, and checking off this skill on your Success Skills Sheet (pages 266-271) until Stage 4. Give a full report to your Diet Buddy every night.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 95.
Closed Thread