Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #226  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Credit even though I'm sick and feel like crap and don't care what I eat, I'm still weighing myself every day. No denial here! And I refused a donut cause it was way to large for me to eat on my own.

And good news: my husband bought me a new fitbit (mine got lost in the mall years ago) and a new DVD player for my workout room that is cleaned out enough to do some barre work!
Old 12-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #227  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Merry, merry and I hope you are finding ways to be of good cheer today!

I've been having visions of avocadoes in Christmas stockings, pineapple glop (that was a new one to me this year--I'm not putting it on the menu), and gingerbread men wearing ties.

We're doing the family celebration tomorrow, but we've managed to come up with a few things to make today merry, too. I've started a loaf of rosemary bread in the bread machine and we'll be taking a walk (high of 53 degrees!). Cornish hen on the grill tonight and a bottle of red from the nephew who sells wine.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #228  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Gave in to the hidden box of chocolates last night and it showed on the scale this morning but totally expected. Got up early today to get my work out in before anyone else got out of bed so credit for that. Have a great day everyone! Remember all the progress we have made so far this year and today is only one more day.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #229  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

I made my plan for today, but have not tracked it. I did OK, but ate too many sweets (two unplanned chocolate covered caramels and 2 extra pieces of homemade Stollen in lieu of lunch). I cooked a ton, and made it all vegetarian (and from scratch) for my husband and MIL. Thus included Mushroom Wellington, Corn Pudding, Yorkshire Pudding, Roasted Turnips with Brussels Sprouts & Rutabega, Sweet & Spicy Sweet Potatoes, and Honey Yogurt Whole Wheat Rolls. Dessert will be Reese's Pie (made with low fat graham cracker crust, NSA chocolate pudding, and Simply Jiff). It was exhausting, but I think it came out pretty well. I had no seconds and did not taste too much while cooking (I don't consider legitimate seasoning tastes to be off plan as long as they are not for the purpose of indulgence).

Gifts received included lots of chocolate candies, but good ones. At least these are worth planning for to include in a future day's food plan.

I will track tonight's food in a little while and also input tomorrow's plan into my tracking program. I will work in the morning and then try to get in some exercise as well.

BillBlueEyes, great job getting in a walk and not having seconds. Too bad about the Snicker Doodles.

Daimere, great news about the fitness related gifts. Also, good job on refusing the doughnut.

GardenerJoy, your dinner plan sounds delicious. Have a great celebration with your family!

Tazzy, great job getting in your workout. Too bad about those chocolates.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #230  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Arrow and on the whole

Hi Coaches and Merry Christmas

Just wanted to pop in and get back to my normal life!

I weighed in today on the wii fit and saw... 279something. My last wii fit weighin the day of my official weigh-in last Thursday was 273 so that's a 6lb gain. I Know much of this is water retention but I had a tough time stopping my eating yesterday, though I finally did *credit* and even today I had some food I took out of the fridge and ate while standing up then *credit* stopped myself and shoved it back into the fridge.
Pure stress eating that.
I ate fairly reasonably at the MIL's house and stuck to one plateful of xmas dinner. So credit* for this, however I did have two alcoholic beverages, which I never do, and I also had appetizers "at will" when we got there. I seemed to have no strategy whatsoever to combat a coffee table filled with crackers, dips, nuts, olives, marinated mushrooms, spinach/artichoke/cheese dip, and chocolates and cookies, especially while assessing the lay of the land and trying to be calm and kind and cheerful. I was also overwhelmed by the unexpected amount of gifts she bought each of us and I felt a *twang* of concern for her that she overspent and it wasn't necessary. She just retired and while she says she's going on a budget and she's reining in her spending she is actually doing the opposite. I think we were all a tiny bit troubled by her actions. However, I was grateful to see that as I was sad that I was missing my family and my friends and bountiful presents have been some of that over the years. I also stuck with not getting DH a gift, which sucked, and he did not stick to that, which also sucked. The whole gift-giving/money thing is not an angry issue anymore. It's just confusing.
Suffice it to say I am glad to have my Key West trip to look forward to even though I just discovered my passport has expired So, this week, it's get passport photos done get to the office and get them to get it done by the end of January. So glad I looked at my passport now and not 4 weeks from now!

Gotta go.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:13 AM   #231  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Merry Xmas, All.
Overall, probably the best eating day I have ever had in my life for December 25th.. Xmas Eve was totally OP. Today there were a few candies but meals were moderate.
DS and DH agree - could be best ever.

Talk later. We were up early and I have to get some sleep.

Last edited by maryann; 12-26-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:40 AM   #232  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckfolks - I hope you all had a nice past couple of day.

Christmas Eve and yesterday were so busy. Many great memories and fun times with my family. I stayed very healthful on Christmas Eve . I am grateful. Calorie wise I was OK - content wise... it was mostly carbs. I am grateful for the wilingness to try. At dinner -I said No Choice to butter laden mashed potatoes & gravy. I ate my salad without the bacon dressing. Credit. I did have small piece of lamb, salad and roll. Credit.We had lots of folks dropping over all day - so much food coming through the door. During the daytime.. actually, I ate very little.

Christmas morning is so joyful through the eyes of a young child. Excitement filled the room. GS spent most of the day playing with new toys with only a few meltdowns.

Christmas was more challenging, food wise, I ate several unplanned cookies, peices of bread and chocolate. It felt 'sloppy' and unplanned - as it was. All my extra goodies were mostly eaten standing up. Phooey. There were times, however, when I used my resistance techniques to avoid eating. Only thirty minutes later to end up eating it. I got into the thinking of... it's my 'last' chance/excuse to eat all these treats. During the day - Christmas was a casual food day - we cooked and put things out for folks to eat when they wanted.

All this being said... the past few days have been healtheir for me - than I've been during a Christmas time with family than I can really remember. I am giving myself credit for that. The amount of 'extra' food I ate yesterday was very little compared to other years. I said... No Choice to plates of goodies that have been available all weekend. I am grateful.

The past week so much candy, baked goods, and unhealthy foods have come through the door. I need to send it out the door or out of this house when folks all leave today.

I've noticed that my son has gained alot of weight this past year. He's 6'3" - he can hold only so much extra weight with out it being unhealthy. It saddens me to see this. I certainly don't know how to help... I'll have to think about it. But, as we both know - it comes from within.

All in all I feel that, foodwise, I did very well. I am anxious, however, to get back in my comfort zone.

It's early morning - I'll try to get back for personals later.

Hoping you all had a wonderful weekend with many fond memories.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 12-26-2011 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:05 AM   #233  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - We had a super Christmas Day. Everyone brought energy into the day and played joyfully together. I have just as much fun watching presents being opened and comments thrown as doing my own.

But Arrrgh - overate several times. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Overdid the apple crisps for breakfast before anyone else woke up, and overate the bacon and egg brunch after we opened presents. We never have bacon, and for Christmas brunch I had three slices of Whole Foods 10-slices-per-pound Black Forrest smoked bacon. My brain is back in gear today. I plan to eat a standard, sane day.

onebyone Kudos for checking your passport now instead of the last minute. The U. S. Department of State charges big bucks for our passport renewal, but BIG BIG bucks for fast turnaround. Seems like you can chalk up your visit to your MIL's as having survived.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Love the thought of the smell of that rosemary bread baking.

FutureFitChick That's an amazing cooking day; Kudos for making plan with that quality food around.

maryann - Yay for "could be best ever" Christmas Day.

Tazzy - Kudos for a workout before the big celebration.

Daimere Yay for a new fitbit and DVD player for your workout room.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 7 Plan and Monitor Your Eating

How to Monitor Your Eating
Recording all of your unplanned eating is essential because you need to squarely face all of your mistakes and devise ways to avoid making them in the future. Recording unplanned eating is also important because it can help show you if you are planning your meals and snacks appropriately. For example, if you notice that you often eat unplanned food in the afternoon, you may need to plan more protein at lunch and a more substantial snack between lunch and dinner.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 93.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #234  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

I'm rushed this morning...have to get to work soon BUT I did step on the scale.*credit* Up, but to be expected. I really planned ahead and did fine at our Christmas brunch. I took small portions and was still the last to finish. I did engage in some unplanned eating (leftovers) but was graced with the call that we would postpone Christmas dinner until tonight. Fortunately, I had already said NO CHOICE and had stopped the snackfest. *credit* for going to bed and recognizing I didn't need dinner. I have a plan for work today and will think through my dinner choices while I'm working today.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #235  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,
Credit for getting on the scale this morning. Three pounds from ticker. Not terrific but as so many of you have said, better than the past me would have done. Leagues better. Spending a little time getting use to my new MacPRo Dh gave me for Christmas (sweetheart). Scattered thoughts and I still have "my" family Xmas today with all the cousins. I have started a new daily planner calendar and I want my first day to be marked OP. Credit for food plan written. Credit for exercise scheduled in.
Good Luck to everyone today as you detox from holiday influences.

Last edited by maryann; 12-26-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #236  
persist

Thumbs up Boxing Day check-in

Hello Coaches

I'm just waiting for DH to get ready so we can go out to an outlet store to look at furniture. Perhaps there is a couch somewhere out there for us. DH, as you can imagine, is not in any hurry to go to an outlet store! *I* on the other hand, was ready to head out at 7am. He has another 30min before I go alone.

I forgot to mention that we all went for a walk *credit* after dinner to see these three houses near to MIL's place that were sheer xmas spectacles of light, sound, and motion. They were very over the top. One house had 7+ lit up versions of Santa and his reindeer (sleigh, train+boxcars, airplane with Merry Christmas written on it trailing behnd &etc) sitting on his roof, plus polar bears and penguins and geese and a cow mailing a letter to Santa at a mailbox which opened and shut. All I thought of was my brother saying how the LED light is taking over. I couldn't imagine these elaborate displays being made in the old-fashioned glass xmas light(bulb)s of yore.

Funny what comes to mind.

I weighed in this morning *credit* to see a drop of 1.1lbs so the water weight is starting to go. *If* I am *very lucky* I could weigh-in the same as last week on Thursday morning. This will require some workouts and a strict foodplan adherence inclouding no processed food which is full of salt. I also need to up my water intake. I'm going to try for this result. I *know* I won't see a drop in weight. No way and that's ok.

Better go. I surely don't want H to be waiting for me... think he's almost ready...

Bye for now.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #237  

Just checking in. Overate yesterday, but actually lost a bit because I think I compensated for eating too much at midday by not eating so much in the evening. I did not plan the day contrary to some (great) suggestions by you guys. Next year.
I have cracked open the green book out of boredom and resentment for the pink book. It has really helped me. I've automated my response cards and my advantages cards (which I am choosing to call "the vision." i.e. what it will be like after I reach my goal)
more later
Old 12-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #238  
persist

Thumbs down just posting again

Hi coaches

I'm posting because I am not very happy with myself and my eating today. I tracked all my food today and I am pretty much irretrievably in the red for the week with my WW points. I've over-eaten by about two extra day's worth of food. Yikes. Some things really surprised me in how high their points values were. And other things, that I held back on becaue I assumed they would be the bad ones, turned out to be ok, not great, but ok. Live and learn. I am finding it hard to stay away from the food though as I have opened the door to eating a lot once more. However coaches, I do have two positive thigns to report 1) I left some food on my plate at the restaurant this afternoon. The first time for that. I thought of the many of you who have done that and figured I could do it too. I even looked at what was on the table that I could squirt overtop of it to deter me from changing my mind and eating them afterall--there was no dishsoap at hand--but there was mustard. Luckily the waiter came and whisked it away from me before I coated it in mustard. 2) our walk at the outlet store was 45min for sure, could have been longer but I'm not sure so I'll chalk up the 45 for exercise. We didn't find a couch. The outlet store felt so depressing to me. I sure would not want to work there. Everything was scattered and picked over and tossed aside. It just really depressed me. And then, as I stood in the midst of a sea of clothing on the second floor, knowing that this place was pretty much the next to last stop for these things I started thinking about all the resources, all the raw materials, that go into creating each piece of clothing and here they all were, crammed together and for the most part, unwanted. Our whole way of life just seems so crazy to me sometimes. DH had a tough time in that store too, concurring that yes, it was a depressing place.

That's it. I will keep trying to get back on track. The kitchen is now closed. If I want anything that's too bad. NO CHOICE except for glasses of water.

Have a good night.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:37 PM   #239  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

I ate all the food on my plan and then some. I am really disappointed in myself!

Tomorrow is a travel day and I don't yet have a plan.

Good luck to everyone working to get back on plan. It sounds like many of us have that challange this year.

BeverleyJoy, sounds like you had a tough day with some things to celebrate mixed in. Good choice to send those sweets out of the house.

BillBlueEyes, thanks for modeling "I plan to eat a standard, sane day." I needed to read that.

Lexxis, I hope you enjoyed to rain delay Christmas dinner. Credit for weighing and for NO CHOICE.

Maplover, congrats on the loss. That is terrific. Are you finding green to be significantly different than pink?

OnebyOne, sorry to hear about your gain. I know you'll get back on track!

Maryann, congratulations on your best 12/25 ever! That is fantastic.

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 12-26-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:35 AM   #240  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Still having trouble with the Christmas goodies left lying about, Ouch. Fortunately, they will soon be gone and my environment will be back to that which makes my life easy.

Put away some of the Christmas stuff, CREDIT moi for the old environment bit. Am enthralled with my new book, A History of the World in 100 Objects - an abbreviated history of the last 2 million years as seen by artifacts in the British Museum. Fun, fun, fun.

onebyone Ouch for no couch - stated for no better reason than I like the way it sounds, LOL. Kudos for that long walk and for leaving food at the restaurant.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Way to go with "NO CHOICE and had stopped the snackfest."

Beverlyjoy Right on with "I need to send it out the door or out of this house ..." - Yep, there is stuff in my fridge left here that just needs to go away.

FutureFitChick Ouch for a difficult day. This seems to be the Hit-Hard-On-Christmas thread, LOL. Here's hoping that today goes per plan.

maryann - Congrats on your new MacBook Pro - you've got faster-than-a-speeding-bullet under the hood for your creative writing in that thing.

maplover Welcome to the land of the Green Book. Kudos for adjusting your evening eating.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 7 Plan and Monitor Your Eating

How to Monitor Your Eating
When dieters don't write down their unplanned food, chances are very likely they will forget they ate them. University of Chicago research completed on athletes, teenagers, and obese participants showed that nearly all people of all ages, weights, and fitness levels underestimate their food intake - some by as much as 50 percent. The study found even thin people forget to account for an average 20 percent of their daily food intake if they merely try to remember what they eat rather than write it down. The dieters I counsel forget about the cream in their coffee, the doughnut at an office meeting, the free cheese sample at the grocery story, the wine before dinner, and so on. And research from Bowling Green State University of 40 dieters determined that those who wrote down their food choices for six months lost nearly twice as much weight as dieters who did not write down what they ate.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pgs 93-94.
Closed Thread