Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 04:56 AM   #151  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

Yesterday was a good Beck day. I promised myself I wouldn't buy any new groceries and would use what we had, instead. *credit* DH wanted to take me out to lunch and instead I tempted him with homemade Caesar Salad. I resisted thoughts of bringing any "goodies" into the house, too. Dinner was cauliflower/baby potato/sweet potato/onion stir fry. It could have been strange but I used curry powder for seasoning and sprinkled my Thai trail mix on top and DH found it acceptable. I chose not to make a grain.*credit* I've gone through the freezer already and have today's meals "planned". My oops: tasting a sample at Starbucks. *credit* for deciding not to have two...or three...or four...

BillBlueEyes, I always smile when I think of your "kids" going through their stockings (and Easter baskets) *credit* for leaving a bite on your dinner plate..something I still have a very difficult time with.

Pam(atga), I loved reading your post! So much positive information! *credit* I found that making my WL a fun and challenging journey has helped so much. Your walking challenge reminds me of looking at my bike cyclometer and realizing it's past the distance of Colorado East to West.

MaryAnn,credit for 3 stars and one on the way! Great saying NO CHOICE to the ice cream. I really believe it is ok not to have that stuff (and cruddy chips) around.

Beverlyjoy, so glad to hear of your sister's successful surgery. *credit* for not tasting the ingredients AND for recognizing it just didn't interest you.

gardenerjoy, nice that you found a way to relax which didn't include food!

onebyone, so many credits! I am so happy that you are "in the groove". A plan combined with Beck is a fantastic strategy for success! Hmm...actually having a food plan (and a backup) IS Beck.

Donamarie(fyreflie24), *credit* for staying your course during the holidays as you focus on your goal! Nice, too, to have such supportive friends

FutureFitChick, what a great strategy to announce your food choice first! I'll remember that. FYI-we sit on our couch with TV trays and eat (TV usually on). For many reasons (I think) that will not change. (Never say never!) I try to be very mindful and it seems to work.

Tazzy, wow! That's a lot of steps on your December ticker. Credit for doing it AND keeping track!

maplover, I second BBE's idea of finishing the pink book then moving to the green one. It's what I did . I find the green book more useful now but am glad I followed the discipline of the pink (and notebook) first.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:04 AM   #152  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating on plan, CREDIT moi. At dinner I left something, CREDIT moi - taking credit even though it was easy because it went in the fridge to see if it's suitable as a snack cold. DW had tried a new was to cook tofu using Penzeys ham seasoning; it worked. I feel great on days that turn out to be completely vegetarian, like I'm working on the future when the planet can no longer afford meat.

Facing several Christmas events with the standard overflowing tables of food and desserts. The stores are bursting with unnecessary baked goods and candies. I'm smitten by the loaves of German stolen bread just because they weigh so much, and because one sales person was touting that they would last six months. It wouldn't last six months if I brought it home, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for hot tubs - a fine no calorie reward.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for selling a veggie stir fry for dinner - sounds yummy to me.

Beverlyjoy – Glad to hear that your sister's operation went well. I'm impressed that you made 10 loaves or raisin nut bread and kept your fingers clean. Whenever I hear of a loaded bread, I start to drool.

Pam (pamaga) – Neat endorsement of Beck's planning strategy. Kudos for the courage to give away your big clothes - you're not going back there. [Yep, workmen in the house is crazy making.]

maryann - Kudos for the gold stars and Monster Kudos for resisting the "Let's go get ice cream" at a time of joy. Nope, you're not a bad mother because you don't push sugar poison on those you love.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 7 Plan and Monitor Your Eating

And however much dieters protest in the beginning, most actually learn to really like planning. It's a great relief for them to know unquestionably that they can get themselves to eat what they are supposed to and resist what they are not supposed to have. And it turns out to be much easier than most dieters think. In fact, I'd like you to try this quick experiment: Predict how long you think it will take you to write a plan for what you're going to eat tomorrow. Now, time how long it takes to actually write down what you intend to have for all of your meals and snacks tomorrow.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 90.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #153  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile the weekend begins

Hello Coaches

The smell of fresh brewed coffee is wafting through my little apartment here in central Canada. We have a light dusting of snow that fell overnight. I'm so glad to see a blue sky and the sun. The sun just hasn't been around much lately.

Yesterday I made a large quantity of soup and I ate all of it. DH doesn't eat soup. He finds it too "watery". Yep. That's what he says. It makes me go and at the same time. Anyway, yeah, I got into some compulsive behaviour around the soup and the eating of it. I was in a "I just want to feel really full" mood. I have planned to make soup and have soup when this feeling overcomes me, so *credit* for a strategy that works until I get to the point in my life when I no longer have such a deep need to do this at all anymore. *credit* for planning and tracking and staying within my foodplan as well. I even had a few WW points leftover at the end of the day.

Today is a day I've waited for all week. There is a tv marathon of a show called Artist at Work. It's a reality show where artists are given a task to create something within specific parameters and then they are judged by professional critics, curators and who knows who else, all representatives of The Art World. I have only seen one episode of this which I caught by accident months ago. I found out earlier this week they are broadcasting this show from 9am to 6pm. I've told DH not to bother me--I'm in or the long haul. I will be over-stimulated with Art if I am lucky!

That's it. Time to get breakfast made and consumed before I settle in. I sure hope this show is as good as I think it is! If not, I know I can find other things to do.

pamatga yes indeedy I am still on for the February artist in residence in Key West. I am starting to create a work space in this place so I can begin to practice my printmaking skills before I head off to make a large scale *something*. I surely do not want to waste my first week in my residency trying to remember how to do a print!

Enjoy your Saturday.

Last edited by onebyone; 12-17-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #154  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

Maryann: Wow, survivor guilt. That hit a cord! You know, I also gained this weight when I lost my nephew and I wonder if, in a very weird way, keeping it on was a way of holding onto him. I'd be remiss if I didn't acknowledge that I associate losing the weight with moving on after his death. Thank you so much for your insight because that really got me thinking!!!

Onebyone: I need to focus on my own art in January so you and I might need to talk a bit

That half way point is still messing with me. I suspect that what I joking call 'diet karma' will kick into gear and if I'm a really good little girl over the holidays, the weight will come off all of a sudden. That's exactly how it worked over Thanksgiving

Bill: Tony Luc's in Philadelphia... Italian pork, broccoli rabe (with tons of garlic), sharp provolone.. HEAVEN!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I won a biggest loser competition. Cool huh?

Last edited by fyreflie24; 12-17-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #155  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,

A good food day until I ate a spontaneous dinner at 4:30 (HMMMM) but I was back on track immediately. Credit. Credit for exercise and my Pilates class planned for 10:00. Credit for hopping on EBAY to buy an old hot wheels for DH XMAS present. I only found out he wanted it last night. I bought it this morning and now have anxiety that it won't come in time. Anxiety makes me very hungry. The credit is in the thought. I have no control over anything else and snack doesn't come for another 1/2 hour. LET IT GO.
Day 21 ( again) is getting ready for weigh in. I am ready. Two pounds from ticker and even though I might not have lost much, I am so grateful I haven't gained!
BBE: Your week sounds like my last two weeks with tables full of beautiful crap. Good Luck. Be easy with yourself.
Lexxiss: I love using up what I have. It is a great feeling to not waste things.
Hello to Everyone else.

Last edited by maryann; 12-17-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #156  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks - yesterday I found the willingness to keeping trying & I had a healthful day. I am grateful. I planned/measured/logged food, lots of water, did my stretches, left a bite.

Today DH baked cookies all day long - I didn’t have one bite!!! Credit! The house smelled delish. However, I didn’t feel frantic for some reason while they were being baked. NO CHOICE to them. But, nevertheless, I can’t wait to start to give them away. I want them gone asap. I know they will be around until Christmas. They need to be out of my sight. In fact they are in plastic bags on the kitchen table and I am going to cover them up.

Sunday night we are going to the annual 'Cousin's party'. All of DH's cousins, their kids, their grandkids. Also, my BIL & SIL, nephews & wives, too. Our Aunt Mackie... well, she probably can't make it. Because she’s been in the hospital. But, I hope so. She is the last of that generation left.

The premise of this party is "Old Family Favorite Foods" - everyone is bringing a beloved recipe from years ago they had with family. All that food... it's overwhelming to think about. Somehow my cornbread & sausage stuffing counts in there too. So, we'll bring that. Others include.. pickled beets & eggs, pimento cheese, floating island , pineapple glop, (they have always called it that - it’s like a pineapple bread pudding side dish)etc. I am working on my food strategy now. I’ve been very diligently watching my fat intake since Monday. I know I’ll have some turkey…and any veggies around. Hopefully, there will be fruit. I will have only one plate of food and one bite of a dessert. I will NOT hang around the food area.

Gardener/joy - how great… a hot tub. *ahhh , yes”. So glad you could do this.

Lexxiss/Debbie -so many great credits. It’s always good to eat the extras at a meal. Good ‘decoy’ with the salad. Credit! Credit for STOPPING at one bite of the samples at the store.

Billbe - good for you.. Staying on plan is awesome. Yes.. Everywhere we go.. There is so, so much food. Your tofu sounds good. I will eat it… DH doesn’t like it - without really trying it different ways. I once cooked some tofu up for my dad in a stir fry. He asked if ‘tofu is a petroleum product’. We all laughed.

Onebyone - yes… Credit for all of your planning etc. It helps reinforce it for the next time/day. Your DH’s comment about soup is funny. Carry on!

Fyreflie
- Congrats on winning the Biggest Loser contest!!

Maryann - major credit for letting go - when you were flustered about the gift arriving on time.

Hope your day was great, everybody.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:24 PM   #157  
Green Tomatoes

Feeling behind on stuff, but at least food and exercise got back to where I want them today -- looking good for tomorrow, too.

WI: -0.35 kgs, Exercise:+60 645/1300 minutes for December, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Lexxiss and FutureFitChick: I'll also confess that supper at our house is always in front of the television. Fortunately, Beck does not require perfect adherence to work. I suspect that different strategies work differently for different people. For some, non-distracted eating may be the absolute key. For me, it was the planning.

onebyone
: credit for soup as a strategy for that wanting to feel full thing. I continue to have that desire now and then -- kind of a nostalgia, really. For the most part, I am now able to distract myself with other things pretty easily. Although, I still eat giant salads once or twice a day, so it looks like volume is going to be a permanent strategy in maintaining my weight loss. I actually agree with your DH's opinion of soup. For some reason, I don't find it as satisfying as many people unless it's thick enough that it's better described as stew or creamy enough that it's more of a treat food.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:09 AM   #158  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Ordered the last major presents - CREDIT moi for doing the thing I had to do in life to make it work. Did OK at dinner with friends, CREDIT moi; it would have been superb if a bowl of extra-large organic Turkish dried figs hadn't appeared with dessert. Ouch, I had several.

onebyone – I once made soup that wasn't too "watery" - could eat it with a fork. Seems I'd left out the chicken stock, LOL. Yep, Kudos for staying your plan despite the soup excursion.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the reminder, "does not require perfect adherence to work."

Beverlyjoy – Kudos for a bite left on the plate yet not a singe one taken from the cookies. Now I want some pineapple glop.

maryann - Yay for eBay when they have what you need. I've given many an envelope announcing something to arrive in the mail. BIG Kudos for "LET IT GO."

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Congrats on winning that Biggest Loser contest - may it be a sign that you'll pass you half-way point and just keep going. [Noting that Tony Luke's is just off the Schuylkill Expressway - I might just try to find that for a Broccoli Rabe, pork, garlic sandwich next time I'm near Philly.]

Readers -
Quote:

How long did it take? When I do this experiment in my workshops, I find it takes almost everyone between 30 seconds and 2 minutes. I'm guessing that's about how long it took you, too - or at most a little longer. Most people find that there's a big gap between how long they thought it would take and how long it actually did take. And dieters come to find out that if is definitely worth spending that minimal amount of time to plan because it helps them lose excess weight and keep it off.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #159  

Oh the blessings of an in-home copier! I just purchased a new printer as my old one broke and this one has a copier. Thus I am able to copy stuff out of the pink book and not have to transcribe it. Today is hunger monitoring chart day, and I will definitely fill this out.

Well my parties full of eating and drinking are over. Saturday morning I was at my highest weight since 2009, and this morning am backing away from that. I have to get it in my head (as I learned from Beck yesterday) that this will take time. This always trips me up.

Also need to mention that I have automated some of the Beck lists using my IPhone. I hope this will make it less onerous for me to keep them. I have not yet expanded my advantage cards, and realize that I also need to make some response cards, particularly for the times in between meals when I am particularly craving something. There is no place on the Beck chart for this, and in my snarky antiauthoritarian way, and looking at Beck’s picture, I think maybe she has never experienced the lack of ability to divide food up into three neat meals—the necessity to always have something you are eating every single moment of the day.

Credit me: beat back several cravings for chocolate yesterday. Resisted a desire to choke a so-called “friend” with a severely disordered relationship to food (on the anorexic side while I’m being judgmental) who in turn presumed to judge why my daughter is overweight…(weight bullying disguised as concern?)

Oh Well, as Beck would say……

BBE Thanks for the great advice!

Pamatga: so much wisdom in your post! Credit you for getting rid of too big clothes. Oh and I love the idea of walking to a city in your state.

Maryann: credit you for resisting cravings in the middle of an emotional day.

Beverlyjoy: Thanks for the great suggestion about the three sentences. I have already made them into a response card (hope you don’t mind my borrowing).

Gardenerjoy: hoping you stay relaxed!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #160  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

Last evening turned out to be the perfect time to practice NO CHOICE regarding emotional eating. I cried some, but resolved not to eat (dinner) while I was upset. I remembered a quote;
"When I cannot bear outer pressures anymore, I begin to put order in my belongings...As if unable to organize and control my life, I seek to exert this on the world of objects.”
― Anaïs Nin

It helped me to get up and finish processing my pumpkins and clean the kitchen. The situation did not change but I felt better.
I made a sandwich and opened some of my canned peaches for dinner and ate by myself, slowly and mindfully giving several bites to the pup. *credit*
This morning isn't much better on the home front so I persist with what I can control. *credit* for walking by the licorice which called out to me at the grocery this morning.
A travel day so I'd best get going. Our ski traffic on a Sunday afternoon is worse than any rush hour.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #161  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation noticing

Dear Coaches

It's come to me this morning that the act of overeating, as in eating until I feel very full or way past very full is as addicting to me as the act of eating junky sugary food, or fast food which is salty, fatty and, often, fried.

What I mean by this is this behaviour triggers in me that insatible bottomless pit which is really hard to turn off once it's turned on.

I noticed this almost as soon as I woke up. My mind was preparing and scanning my environment for a repeat of eating a lot of tracked/planned food. Yesterday I indulged this behaviour, for the 2nd day in a row, by making, eating and tracking beef stew. I ate until I was feeling very full and then I obsessed about eating more again. I did stop *credit*. Now, it is the next day, and I feel the urge to do it again. My desire to eat large quantities was awakened by the greenlight I gave myself with the soup 2 days ago. It seems this truly is an addictive, sabotaging, behaviour and something I really need to address. I think I need to practice leaving the table before I am full and coping with the feelings that arise from this. I am not always like this with food. I have long periods when I am sensible but I've had extra stress around family, events, distance from my supportive friends and lack of support here where I now live. What else is new? There is always a "reason" if I look, or conjure one up. I can make things better for myself, or worse. I have a choice here.

This also highlights for me what happened to me the last time I was on WW without Beck training. WW gives me a generous amount of points it's ok for me to eat in a day/week. I can easily fit in vast amounts of food and eating and still stay "on plan". And that's what I did. And I felt crazy on WW because all the food + the weightloss did not compute and I felt "bad" so I left the program. While tracking and eating lots within my points may be good for weekly weightloss and weigh-ins, it's not good for my head and my behaviour around food. It's only teaching me to be more crafty and manipulative around food, and one day I may choose to eat like this with a food that's not so easy to fit into my foodplan and one thing could lead to another etc. and I am off into plain old food binging and who knows how long it will take for me to stop that and get back on track, not to mention how quickly I regain weight and how depressed I will be. Feeling overful is just not worth it when I look at it like that.

So, it has come completely clear to me why I need Beck and why WW or any foodplan is *not* THE answer to my weight issues. I can wiggle my way out of and around any foodplan. I've had eating/food issues for FORTY YEARS! I am well-practiced in scheming to get what I want when it comes to food. What I really need are rules of behaviour to follow, and to trust and believe in, and Beck helps me with that. It is irrelevant whether it fits WW or not, it is about fitting my plan into Beck. I need both.

Thanks for reading. Don't give up!
Old 12-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #162  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning Coaches:
Feeling more like myself every day, little by little. Exercise was Pilates this morning, I did my prayer and meditation, made a quick run through at the super market for discounted meat and am now doing some personal book keeping. The boys are up in Tahoe fourwheeling and giving mommie some alone time. That is just who I am and my husband understands. I am a person who needs to be alone for long periods- a few days at least in order to keep centered. I am grateful my son adores his dad and vice versa so I don't think I am missed too much.
Listening to Onebyone and Lexxiss : I can't tell the number of times I have sat quietly by myself, eaten a small meal and cried. It is what it is and it is better than the alternative. And I also can't describe my relationship with being overfull. It is a matter of letting go of that addiction which is never easy.
Kudos, BBE, for your last shopping gift.
Maplover: I hear the Holiday weight saga. Credit for being on the downward slope. Weight is such a personal issue. I try to avoid all weight bullies by NEVER talking about it except for here.

Last edited by maryann; 12-18-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #163  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

I've been off for a few days due to a strained muscle in my back that makes it difficult to sit up or move. Eating has been OK and I made a meal plan for the next 2 weeks today! No exercise due to back, other than short walks in the house.

As a result of being sick I missed 2 parties that I was looking forward to after a very stressful week. Oh, well.

Beverleyjoy, you are on fire! Keep it up. I am really glad the surgery went well.

BillBlueEyes, best of luck at the many holiday buffet tables. I know you will be successful!

GardenerJoy, great job getting in extra exercise when you were having a rough day eating.

Lexxis, great job recovering after the Starbucks oops. Also, great job cooking and not getting more food.

Maplover, I really like your choice of incentives for your 5 pound goal. That is great!

Maryann, you sound like an awesome wife and mother for getting rid of the junk! Great job!

OnebyOne, I hope you can conquer that demon that likes to be over full. It is really tough.

PamAtGA, great job for always having a planned meal after an off plan meal. That is really important and I need to keep that in mind as well.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #164  
Green Tomatoes

I was on my feet for 7 hours straight -- gardening tasks that generated a kitchen chore that went until it was time to fix supper. And I did fine -- knees fine, back fine, energy level fine. I'm crediting 70 pounds less weight on my feet and the regular exercise. Yay!

WI: +0.45 kgs, Exercise:+135 780/1300 minutes for December, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

maplover: I've had the exact same snarky thought looking at Beck's picture. Ha! I've read books that were worse in that regard, however. The difference between being 15 pounds overweight and 50 pounds overweight is more than numerical, in my opinion, an entire mindset of difference. But, Beck, at least, has worked with people who are more than 50 pounds overweight and the CBT approach works for this, even if Beck never had to make it work for herself.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:18 AM   #165  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Wandered off the path when confronted with an overflowing table of authentic Swedish holiday baked goods - BIG Ouch. Gotta get my mojo back as this week will offer many more such opportunities.

I knew this was coming, but expected only mundane food that would be easy to ignore. Seems that I'd forgotten that seasonal stuff can look like rare and unusual when it's really not. A sweet bread with nuts and dried fruits isn't unusual just because it's from a different food culture. If it hadn't been labeled Swedish it would not have turned my head. Gotta remember, It's not about me.

onebyone – Interesting notion that feeling full is an addiction in itself. With Kudos for seeing that you need the Beck strategies to fight that. Gotta laugh at, "I am well-practiced in scheming to get what I want when it comes to food" because I recognize that.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for the benefits of 70 pounds gone forever. I do know about gardeners who can work for seven hours straight.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Thanks for that terrific Anaïs Nin quote. Kudos for taking eating out of your responses to high emotional situations.

FutureFitChick – Kudos for making that two week plan - sounds like that might be easier than trying to think of it on a daily basis. Hope your back comes into shape quickly.

maryann - Yay for a little timeout from parenting. I was always jealous of my divorced friends for that one positive aspect of their divorce - a break from the constant needs of their kids.

maplover – Kudos for taking the listing strategies seriously enough to automate them into your iPhone - a neat idea. Big Ouch for having to deal with meddlesome opinions about your DD's weight.

Readers -
Quote:

You will continue to practice the skill of inflexible eating until Stage 4. At that point, you will learn the skill of flexible eating and stop writing down a daily plan.

Closed Thread