Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #76  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

I'm late but I wanted to keep my food accountability current so I am going to post that and not much else, although I did read all of your recent posts.

For 11/9:

Calories: 1828
Carbs: 248
Fat: 52
Protein: 82
Fiber: 26
Sodium: 2489 (yea!)

I have being feeling kind of blue the past 24 hours. It will pass but for the time being, it sucks. My old friend did reply back. She accepted my apology and offered one for her part in our "split". She shared with me what had been happening in her life since 2007 and I did the same. Hers has been a lot better than mine and although I am happy for her because she worked hard for everything she has achieved, I felt sad that all of my "excesses" I have paid a price for. I have forgiven myself but I live with the aftermath of my addictions and some of them it will take years for me to "recover" from. I felt really blue afterwards.

Credit I did not eat over my feelings. I never thought about it.

Thanks for telling me what NaNoWriMo is. Well, 50,000 words would be a piece of cake for me and if I pushed myself I probably could make the November deadline but right now I am trying to get my diet blog here on 3FC updated. I have been keeping a journal since the beginning of this year and then my site was one of those that got a "bug" but the 3FC administrators got that straightened out so now it is up to me to transfer all of my stuff over to it. THAT is one of "projects" on my "to do" list. I hope to finish that by the end of this year.

Hope everyone else is doing well. I'll comment on personals tomorrow or Saturday.

Pam
Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #77  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Spontaneous exercise was vacuuming and hauling, small progress in the effort to get the cabin cleaned up to sell in the spring. A project I find depressing and frustrating. But progress is better than no progress, and gets us closer to done which will be a wonderful feeling.

I broke my streak of daily exercise and writing in November, doing neither today with the cabin project. My first thought was to get all flustered and worried. And my next, was more of a Beck thought. I can easily catch up on both by the end of Tuesday, the 15th, conveniently half-way through the month. So my goal is to reach 25,000 words and 650 minutes of exercise by the end of Tuesday and I have a plan to do exactly that.

WI: -0.2kgs, Exercise: +0 395/1300 minutes for November, Food:90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Donamari(fyreflie24): yay for onederland! Wow! I love your photos--all those precious faces made me smile. I take mostly flower pictures.
I also got down to 200 before I started on 3FC and with Beck, then gained all 40 pounds in a year back to my starting weight. Now I think of it as a blessing in disguise because it's what convinced me that I had to make real permanent change if I wanted real permanent weight loss.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:36 PM   #78  

Height: 5'7"

Here I am, finally home after my fourth 14-hour day in a row. Would somebody please stop the world for awhile so I can get off? I'd really appreciate it!

My weight was down .4 on Tuesday, unchanged yesterday, and down .6 today--back to 128. YAY!! I went to the gym for an hour on Tuesday for cardio on my own, then had a personal training session yesterday and another one today. I felt really strong in both sessions--what a wonderful feeling. Today the trainer measured my body fat percentage--just under 27%. That doesn't seem that great to me, and I know some people have a much lower %, but the trainer showed me a chart that calls 27% body fat "ideal" for a woman over age 55, and anything lower as "risky". The cynic in me wants to know if it is really unhealthier for an older woman than it would be for a younger woman to have a body fat % lower than 27, or whether they're just cutting older women some slack. The same chart also called my weight of 128 "ideal" for a 5'7" woman with a small frame, so that part was nice! I had to eat one meal in the car today (there was truly no way around it), but ate everything else slowly and mindfully. Stayed OP and under 1400 calories each day. Have not read my cards for awhile, missed contacting my diet buddies for two days in a row. All in all, I'm doing really well, though, and feeling confident and strong, both physically and emotionally.

I'm going out of town for the weekend, leaving tomorrow morning and returning Saturday evening. I'm meeting four friends (all of whom live in upstate NY) at a huge outlet mall in Grove City, PA, for a girls' weekend of shopping. I can't wait! I desperately need a break.

Val, no, I haven't measured in quite some time, but I know that my clothes still fit the same. As for my decision to forgo NS desserts for the time being--you are right that that decision would probably make a dessert binge even more likely, IF I was telling myself that I will "never eat one again." But I'm not thinking that; I'm just taking a little hiatus. I've done that before when I had overeaten them, and it seems to help. I was intrigued that you walked on by your exercise class because you were afraid you would cry there. Why did you think that the exercise class in particular would be the trigger that would disinhibit your crying? Was it because there are a couple of women there who might ask you how you are doing? I know that, when I am feeling particularly vulnerable, all it takes is for one person to ask me how am I doing in a kind and gentle voice, and I'm sobbing. A little kindness just undoes me sometimes. Is that what you were feeling?

Tazzy, I am so impressed that you used that extra hour from daylight savings ending on EXERCISE! Thanks for the clarification on your job--it sounds a lot less threatening, and a lot more fun, now that I understand better exactly what it is you do! And I do agree that it would probably be a good idea for me to keep fewer NS desserts on hand. At the moment, I have none! I am going to place another order, though, since I feel back in control again.

fyreflie24, GOOD FOR YOU for seizing the day and not letting your weight get in the way! That is SO hard to do, so give yourself lots of credit. Eating well is its own reward when we get our heads in the right place. And how wonderful that your weight is dropping quickly, too--WELCOME TO ONEDERLAND!!! It's a pretty wonderful place to live!!

pamatga, NS has lots of wonderful desserts, especially candy. My favorites are peppermint patties, chocolate "kisses", and chocolate crunch bars. They are truly delicious. I've had WW cheesecake, so I know what you mean about that--I'd eat it frozen, too! I'll be interested to hear how your decision to take four days to "eat what you love" during the holiday season works out. Are you planning to eat whatever you want in whatever amounts you want? Or do you plan to set some boundaries on what you eat on those days? Val did a great job of explaining to you why the first few bites of something taste better than later bites. The phenomenon is called sensory-specific satiety and is an example of sensory adaptation. All of our senses adapt to prolonged or repeated stimulation when the repeated stimuli occur within a short time frame; this protects us from paying undue attention to meaningless stimuli and conserves our attentional resources for stimuli that are new and different and therefore more likely to be important. With regard to eating, the result is that each bite you take of a particular food will produce diminishing returns in terms of the pleasure you derive from the taste. The only way to re-experience the intense pleasure of that first delicious bite is to not eat that food for awhile to give your taste buds a chance to recover so that the taste is experienced as new and different once again. And don't feel guilty for having "dropped out of the rat race." I often feel like the rats are winning!

gardenerjoy, isn't it amazing how the little things, like being able to get and down easily in order to take photos, can really illuminate for us just how much our lives are changed by weight loss? I have found that all the little ways in which my life has improved--like the fact that I can now cut my own toe nails!!--motivate me just as much as the big things, like my diabetes going into remission. And YAY YOU for not catastrophizing, and for recovering so quickly, after eating an unplanned snack!

BillBlueEyes, YIPPEE on finding that rogue scale of yours! And YAY YOU for talking back to that sabotaging thought that you don't really need to weigh daily. It's really easy to get out of the habit of daily weighing, but I continue to believe that the daily weigh-in is one of the most important weapons in my weight-maintenance arsenal.

Blech, the weather report is saying that there could be up to 4 inches of slushy snow in the area I will be driving through tomorrow on my way to PA. Not what I wanted to hear!

Lexxiss, I LOVE grapefruit juice, so I am going to try your idea of watered-down grapefruit juice as a way of cutting back on caffeine and, for me, artificial sweeteners (from diet soda). And good for you for getting your co-workers to stop offering you food!

onebyone, it sounds you are really undergoing some profound changes and using them to your benefit. Good for you for using your dental issues as a spur to new and healthier habits. (My teeth are lousy and have paid a huge price for my years of bad eating, so I know exactly where you are coming from.) It sounds like the decision to let go of the arts and crafts shows for the time being is a healthy one for you, although I can imagine that that must have been a wrenching decision for you.

fyreflie24, I never miss the Biggest Loser if I can help it, so I saw it this week when they were talking about that research you mentioned. I was fascinated by it and want to get my hands on the original journal article so that I can see exactly how it was done and what conclusions can be drawn. I'm sure most viewers concluded from the way it was presented on the show that obese people are doomed by their brain chemistry. But my guess is that the research is merely correlational and therefore no cause-and-effect conclusion can be drawn from it. In other words, it is just as likely that the brain differences that were noted are actually the EFFECT of obesity rather than a cause of it. That would actually mesh very nicely with the research on sensory-specific satiety. It may be the case that obese people's brains light up when looking at an enticing food because they are so strongly Pavlovian conditioned to associate the sight of the food with the actual taste of the food (obese people obviously eat more, so that means they have a greater number of opportunities to learn the connection between the appearance of a food and its taste). But, because of sensory-specific satiety, obese people's tendency to eat more would render them less able to derive true pleasure from the food they eat. And if they then eat even MORE in an attempt to find the pleasure they are looking for, even more sensory-specific satiety would set in, creating a cyclical effect that would be a difficult pattern to break. But I'm just speculating here. Like I said, I want to read the actual studies they were talking about on the show to see what is really going on there. As far as I can remember, that was the first time they have ever interviewed a scientist on the show. I hope they will do more of that!

OK, I haven't even packed yet, and I have to get up early and get on the road, so I need to close. Hopefully I will be back on here Sat. night.

Last edited by 4EverLearning; 11-10-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:42 AM   #79  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A routine day - with rain. Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with an urge for MORE after I had some fresh pineapple for evening snack. I have, on occasion, given in and had more fruit under the rationalization that fruit is good for me. Last night I didn't; just said NO. CREDIT moi.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats for "vacuuming and hauling" when that's what has to be done next. I presume that hauling includes discarding, the part I find most difficult.

Beverlyjoy – Yay for the new brace working for your foot/ankle - Ouch for the lower back pain. Yep, "persevere" is your middle name.

pamaga – Congrats on the resolution with your old friend. I admire your statement, "I have forgiven myself."

Tazzy - Kudos that you keep "repeating my mini goal mantra of 169, 169, 169." Your Zumba comment reminds me of a recent cartoon of a bunch of folks in he_ll with one saying, "I knew it'd be bad, but I'd have never expected 24/7 Zumba."

Robin (4EverLearning) - Too bad that Child Labor Laws don't cover adults, LOL. I hope you find the answer to the question about the charts cutting slack for older folks; I, too, feel that it's sometimes just patronizing.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Congrats on Onderland!!! With Kudos for believing that you could do it by using your new Beck strategies. Relish your Pandora bead. Perhaps it's time to recognize yourself as "the EX-QUEEN of self sabotage."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 6 Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating
experiment 4 Prove to yourself that you can stop eating.
what to do . . .
Jason thought he should finish everything on his plate. He was uneasy about eating only some of it. The first time he did this experiment, he wrote this card:
____________Memory Card
I gave myself a double portion of meatloaf and mashed
potatoes for dinner tonight. When I finished half of it,
of course I wanted to keep eating. But I threw away
the extra and got busy doing e-mails. I was really sur-
prised. Within a few minutes, I wasn't even thinking of
the extra food because I was so involved with what I
was doing. I've always been a member of the Clean Plate
Club - not anymore!
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 83.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-11-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #80  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

Joy: thank you! Omg, my story EXACTLY! I’ve thought the same thing... but at my age and point in my life, this really does have to be my last time doing this (I’ve yoyoed for the last 25 years at least). Thank you for looking at my site I shoot flowers too actually, but haven’t done much of it recently as the kiddies keep me busy!

Robin: Yay for downward movement on that scale!! 128... wow... that’s just inspiring! I’m curious, is 1400 cals your maintenance eating? I’ve got my eye already set on that process since that’s really where I’ve failed in the past. OH I totally agree about the cause and effect piece and how lucky we are to have you looking at that stuff! My take away, if I wasn’t clear, was that I could derive more taste pleasure from less food at a lower weight. That I found inspiring!

Bill: You have very good point, oh wise sage You’re right, I need to stop defining myself in those terms Thank you.

Tazzy: Yay 160s!!! That’s awesome And great news about DH. My husband has about 25-30 to loose as well, and is starting on this journey with me. He was traveling this week though, so we’ll see how well he did LOL

Pam: congrats on all the hard work you’re doing!

I've been on plan, though not a ton of exercise b/c I had a slight injury that my doctor friend advised I should rest a few days, plus work has been nutty! going to try to get back to it today and over the weekend. I have a bike ride tentatively planned with a friend on Sunday.

Since I'm not great at credits, here we go: Maintaining OP eating, been patient with the scale just doing my thing and letting it move when it's happy (not an easy feat), focusing on drinking enough water, working hard not to 'eat my emotions' (such a brilliant term!).

Last edited by fyreflie24; 11-12-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Good morning everyone!

Remembrance Day in Canada is a holiday and time for us to reflect on all the sacrifices of those who allow us to live with the freedoms we do.

My plan to sleep in today did not work and usually doesn't when I don't have to get up and go to the office. Too many event things still running through my head and I'm sure I'll end up in there sometime in the next two days to do some more work.

Just a quick post this morning to update my ticker. Down another .8 and so close to 169.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #82  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

fyreflie for making it to Onederland!!

Interesting discussion on both the sensory satiety and "3 bites". This has been the evolution of how my relationship with food has changed (and continues to change). January 2008, I began the South Beach Diet. I credit SBD with three important changes in my approach to the choices of food I make: 1) I became much more aware of the impact of specific foods on how "full" (satieted) I was, 2) how specific foods "triggered" actually physical cravings based on both their glycemic number (higher number increases blood sugar and therefore triggers cravings) and 3) the diet provides an intensive list of foods to eat and to avoid to achieve permanent weight lose. It was a food plan devised by a cardiologist for his patients who were diabetic and whose disease had been complicated by heart disease (diabetes triggers the underlying conditions that predict eventual heart disease if left untreated). Although I am not the "poster child" for SBD, I will always credit being exposed to that particular way of approaching food as the "turning point" in my relationship with food.

Fast forward, I can also see that the "Beck Diet Solution" as the "turning point" for me in rekindling the confidence to not only "try" again but to stay the course with weight reduction. Once I understood how redirecting my thoughts regarding my food consumption could impact how well I did on any given food plan then it was just a matter of applying those principles consistently day in and day out.

Using these two methodologies together have absolutely "revolutionized" my ability to not only lose weight but to maintain that weight lose as I move down the scales. When I made the decision to "allow" myself 4 days rather than 6 weeks, it was a conscious choice and one that I would never have thought I could have accomplished before. I believe in my ability to do whatever it takes to lose this weight. That is what the BDS has given back to me.

When I remove the "physically based" cravings (avoiding or significantly reducing foods that are high glycemic) and strengthen my resolve through the CT techniques that Dr. Beck offers, then the only other thing missing from the weight lose equation for me is: reducing my daily intake of calories enough to allow my body to release the "stored energy" (fat).

Now, I have a complete working equation for losing weight for me. I have covered all the bases: physical (SBD food chemistry), behavioral(BDS), emotional (tons of therapy in the past) and spiritual (my Catholic faith and working the 12 Steps). Up until this past spring, what was lacking was the behavioral. Now, that it is all in place, all I have to do is work on the mechanics of "dieting": eating a balanced food plan that is enough calories to meet my nutritional needs while allowing me to lose at least 1-2 lbs a week.

That's it!

For 11/10:

Calories: 2356
Carbs: 271
Fat: 94
Protein: 132
Sodium: 2628

When my husband Paul went shopping for us the other night, I asked him to get me some no sugar added Klondike bars. Unfortunately, the ones he got me were full fat which set up a physical craving (see explanation above) and I ended up eating 4 of them yesterday. Now, I know. "Trial and error".

As for what I might do on those 4 days, I will not count calories, which is still a difficult task to do for me.I am very hungry at the end of the day, no matter how much water I consume or low calorie foods I eat. I have just accepted that this will probably be the case all the time I am reducing my calories. Believe it or not, but I can eat a lot of very healthy foods because I have even in the recent past. Calories do count! However, I am not giving myself carte blanche to just eat anything I feel like. Yesterday was a case in point. I don't like it when my body "betrays" me. I do like having control over what I eat and how it affects my body and desire to eat more or less. So, I want to keep days like yesterday in mind as I approach those days.

Stay tuned......

P.S. That is one of the first photos of my new great nephew, Jude Paul. He was born, via C-section, on Halloween, hence the knit pumpkin hat. I guess, he looks like his Italian grandpa (big nose too).

Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 11-11-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #83  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post Chilly Friday

Hi Coaches

There were snow flurries in the forecast. Thankfully, that's as close as they've come so far.

I'm taking a time out today. There's a big pot of turkey soup simmering on the stove. The house is starting to smell good now.

I *credit* weighed myself this morning. My wii fit informed me it has been 16 days since my last weigh in. I am up +1lb for my time away from the scale and off plan of and on so I consider this a success. I think I'm going to give myself a *credit* for not staying away from a plan or Beck longer than two weeks in the last two years. I may have done much more damage in two years than what has actually happened.

The tooth was painfree yesterday but I missed one flossing session and today it's bugging me again. Still. I think, and actively choose to believe, that my body is healing that tooth and it is going to right itself sooner rather than later.

Guess that's it. Just wanted to say hi.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks.... yesterday was a healthy day. I am so so grateful. It feels good to have a couple of healthy/ on plan, Beck driven days. Sometimes when I have been 'sloppy' with staying with the program, it's helpful to get a few healthful days under my belt (no pun intended) to build on.

Yesterday I: weighed myself (number down), planned/measured/logged food, did stretches & strengthening, drank lots of water, journalled 2 pages worth of things to remember/ate standing only once/ left a bite....

Today I have been cooking veggie beef soup. I wanted to taste the broth. So I took a 'fancy' sugar spoon as I reminder that it' a taste only. In the past I have in the taken that taste to sit down at the table tasting. Didn't feel like that. The former worked today.

Hope you are all having a great day.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:07 AM   #85  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating on plan, CREDIT moi, with a repeat of the 13 bean soup for dinner - gets better reheated. My long walk, CREDIT moi, included some Canvasback ducks passing through on their way south. Also included a trip to Trader Joe's where I sampled mashed potatoes with embedded fried onions and gravy - Ouch. Can't figure a single justification for eating that. Those silly canned fried onions wake up happy childhood memories when I see them. Our family had the classic green bean, mushroom soup, canned fried onions casserole every Thanksgiving forever.

onebyone – My brain can smell that pot of turkey soup from here. Good food smells probably help one's neurons remember to eat sanely. Yay for painfree teeth.

Beverlyjoy – Yay for veggie beef soup - apparently it's soup day on the Beck Thread, LOL. Kudos for using that " 'fancy' sugar spoon" as a token to remind you of your goals.

pamaga – Welcome Jude Paul. Such a powerful thought, "I believe in my ability to do whatever it takes to lose this weight."

Tazzy - Easy to imagine that it's hard to clear all those events out of your mind. Congrats on that scale inching toward the 160's.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Kudos for giving yourself credits. Hope that slight injury heals quickly.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 6 Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating
experiment 4 Prove to yourself that you can stop eating.
what to do . . .
When I proposed this experiment to Erin, she was horrified - not because it was too hard, but because it violated her rule about never wasting. "Throw away good food? I can't do that!" she said. Erin wanted to wrap up the leftovers, but I explained that I wanted her to get really good at throwing away extra food, a skill she would need whenever food was too tempting to keep. After she mastered the skill, she could go back to saving leftovers. I helped her see that the food would ultimately go to waste, no matter what. To remind herself, she made the following Response Card:
Extra food will always go to waste, either in the trash
or in my body.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 83.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #86  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

No check in yesterday...my day was incredibly complicated, yet I did have many credits, even though I did have an off plan dinner and snack which I knew was in response to emotions. The good news was that in my brain it registered (before and after) as "just one meal". We've traveled this morning and I've already weighed and prepared my green smoothie. Back on track, yay!

I have a success to share regarding "my environment". Last week I started a "put it in it's place" as I go. Theoretically, it saves many steps because the pop can which comes from upstairs goes right to recycle instead of sitting on the counter. When I walked in this morning everything seemed more orderly and I unpacked and "put everything in it's place." I'm really happy because it gives me more time for practicing my dieting (Beck) skills.

I'd love to shout out to everyone but I'm due at work in 10 minutes. I have time to finish my smoothie and head out.

Donamarie, congrats! on making it to onederland! It is a very significant number...kinda like turning 21.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #87  
Maintaining

S/C/G: 140/112/117

Height: 5'2"

Wow, did I lose a post Thursday? Sorry, didn't mean to go MIA! I missed yesterday because it was such a busy day -- we drove to St Louis for another college visit (Wash U), and it took us much longer than expected due to construction on I-70. I'm going to check out different routes home.

Report: didn't read my cards, weighed (up a whopping 2 pounds yesterday, which I totally deserved after having matzoh ball soup for dinner with a totally unnecessary extra matzoh ball, incredibly salty so I'm hoping it's mostly water.) Once again did not get to my exercise class, starting to get a little concerned about whether I'm getting out of the habit and making excuses. Couldn't weigh this morning as we're in a hotel and I didn't bring my scale since we were only going to be out of town overnight. Well, that and the fact I brought a friend of Jane's with us and I know Jane would have been very embarrassed to have her mom bring a scale!

maryann -- yay on no choice with grains and sweets!

Pam -- GOOD FOR YOU for not seeing holidays (or vacations, or other celebrations) as reasons to "relax" by going off plan for long periods. Okay, you say for those four days you aren't going to log or report. I assume this is because you want to eat whatever you want without guilt? But why not eat whatever you want, log/report it, and allow yourself to not feel guilty about whatever it is? What I mean is, are you deciding not to log and report because you don't want to know? Are you setting up these four days not simply as days you can eat more than you normally do without guilt (which is okay) but rather as days you can eat mindlessly (not okay.) It's okay to give yourself permission every once in a while to eat more than you usually do, but think about it: Do you really need to be able to eat mindlessly in order to enjoy yourself? Can you plan to eat mindfully but more than normally? Wasn't me on the restriction is liberation -- can't remember who, but it was really a brilliant little thought! Sorry you're feeling blue over the reconnect with your former friend.

Debbie -- yay for sticking to your Beck skills so well! And yay for the thought of another new year weighing less than you did the year before.

Beverlyjoy -- Oooh, Mexican-style veggie soup? Recipe? Yes, I certainly do expect the meltdowns. I'm not sure it makes it easier or not...it's like crossing a mine field. You know the mines are there, but you can't be sure where or how many.

gardenerjoy -- YAY YOU for not catastrophizing your bad snack choice! For me that's one of those HUGE ideas in Beck: that it's a misstep, not a catastrophe. And yay you for applying your cognitive behavior techniques to other areas of your life!

BBE -- I love bean soup, too, on a chilly fall day. Yay, you for getting a task done that had been blocking other progress! Good for you for saying no to more, even though it was only fruit. I guess no one ever got fat eating too much fresh pineapple, but it's still a great habit to be in to say no to overeating.

Donamari -- Yay for being in ONEderland! I saw that on Biggest Loser! Fascinating stuff! And good for you for working on being patient with the scale!

Tazzy -- Good for you for keeping the ice cream out of the house if it's a trigger for your dh! Re: brunch -- you can use the small plate theory, too! If there are two sizes of plate on the buffet line -- like, a salad plate and a dinner plate -- use the smaller plate. It has been shown over and over that people will eat more if they're eating from a larger plate, and that even people who are AWARE of this research will STILL eat more when using larger plates.

Robin -- good to see you! I love that 'feeling stronger' feeling. I've had that several times lately -- picked up things I -know- would have been awkward for me a year ago and discovered I could handle them just fine, like a 25# bag of flour. I'm with you on the "risky" for a woman over 55 to have lower than 27% body fat. Risky for what? Other health problems? Yay on 128 being ideal for a 5'7" woman! And here you are for, what, five months now hovering around 128? You can share that one with Bev, eh?

Re: walking past the exercise class -- it was a combination of having just awakened after the bad meltdown the night before and not having had enough time to process it plus knowing my friend (also Jane <g>) with whom I usually partner would ask about my daughter. I'm the same as you -- a kindly voice undoes me.

Oh, I knew you could explain the 3 bite thing better than I could! Do you know how they measure this diminishing marginal return? What I mean is, to Pam, on a conscious level, the last bite tastes just as good as the first. I suspect that what she's experiencing is actually a decrease that feels imperceptible because the 5th bite doesn't feel much different than the 4th bite did, but if she could actually objectively compare the pleasure she got from the 1st bite with the one she gets from the 20th, she'd see the drop, only those two bites are so far removed from one another that to her it seems as if that 20th bite gave her just as much pleasure as the first did. Do they measure this with pen-and-paper self-report, or do they actually measure brain activity, or what?

I knew you'd see that thing on BL and be interested! PLEASE give us an update on what you find, because I too was a little confused by the presentation. It seems like I remember them saying that there -was- some good news -- something behavioral that could normalize the pleasure the obese person got -- but now I can't remember what it was. Re: cause/effect vs. correlation -- I was wondering the same thing, and in particular about the idea of obese people eating faster than thin people. That could cause a delay in sensory-specific satiety because eating fast = more calories in while actually not tasting the food as much = less pleasure. It made me wonder whether they measured how fast each group ate whatever was lighting up the pleasure center, how many times they chewed, how big each bite was, etc. It would be hard to control for how big a bite, how many chews, how quickly swallowed -- whether the obese subjects are wolfing the food while the slender subjects are taking smaller bites, chewing more times so that the taste stays in their mouths longer for each bite, etc. -- but you could certainly -measure- each of these. Man, this is making me want to design that study!

Last edited by va1erie; 11-12-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi friends/beckies/coaches... yesterday was a healthy day.. am always grateful for that.

I had to take my mom to a doctor appointment. I took my journal and filled up a couple of pages of things to remember, my plan for the day, etc. I feel very good because I accomplished many of my healthy living tasks: planned/measured/recorded food, counted sodium, always left a bite on the plate, used some of my resistance ideas, weighed (down a little), gave myself credit when I did something positive in regards to my planned, & ate seated most of the time.

I would like to work on some other things today too - eating slowly & mindfully, fork down between bites, TASTE and enjoy each bite, meditation and work on feeling fullness.

Stayed within the perimeter of my plan - food exchanges
Sodium - around 1500 mg

I went to the back doctor yesterday to get a cortisone shot in my back - it's so sore from wearing the new foot/ankle brace. I will persevere!!!

Yesterday I resisted eating some unplanned grapes.

Valerie - I too, know about the Law of Diminished Capacity - the way it was explained to me is that nothing tastes as good (or better) than that very first bite of something. It was a registered dietician in a class that talked about it. I still don’t want to believe it! LOL I think Dr. Beck would excuse you from weighing and taking your scale for an overnight. Here is the recipe for the Mexican Veggie Soup that I found this week:
http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure....ro-points.html
I made it a bit different. I don’t like cilantro - so I omitted it. Along with tomatilla and jarred roasted red peppers. I used some fresh red peppers ( on sale at Kroger this week), I used canned chicken broth. I omitted the pablono pepper. I think you can play with the recipe using any non starchy veggies. I ate it one day with some FF sour cream plopped on top. Another day with a slice of 2% cheese on top.

Billbe - good job on all that walking! Oops on the casserole taste. We always had green bean casserole on Thanksgiving too. (They say it was the Pilgrims favorite side dish LOL) I think sometimes we are more ready or willing to walk away from samples.

Lexxiss/Debbie
- well done with your many credits in a hard situation. Even best of all - you ate off your plan and hopped right back on!! Good job on organizing your environment. You, so very often, use the Beck principles in food situations during your day… Credit.

Onebyone - your turkey soup sounds so good. I can’t wait to get the turkey carcass after Thanksgiving to make soup later on. Yes, it’s a big credit to not stay away from a plan for more than two weeks at a time!!

Pam/Atlanta - sounds like the South Beach diet taught you a lot!! That’s great. I agree about the Beck Principles teach us how to LIVE with food.

Tazzy - Credit for going down and changing your ticker!! That always feels good.

Fyreflye - I hope your injury heels quickly and fully. You have many good credits listed! Darn that scale when it doesn’t move and you deserve to see it move!!! I hate when that happens. Living ‘well’ with the scale has always been a big challenge for me. I am doing a onederland happy dance in your honor.

4everlearning - hoping you are having a good trip with your friends. It’s hard to see those ups and downs on the scale. Dr. Beck says it will get to a point when that number doesn’t mess with our mind’s so much. I certainly haven’t gotten there yet, myself.

Gardener/joy - yes indeed - cleaning counts for spontaneous exercise! You’ll be glad when it’s all done. Good job planning ahead to have a time to catch up on your writing and some Beck stuff, too.

I hope you all have a great Saturday. Remember to treat yourself as well as you would treat a good friend. Today… I’ll enjoy some college football with DH - we got the house all cleaned this morning! Credit.

PS... just had a conversation with my 4 year old GS - he is now getting into bagels.

GS - Hi Grandma. I am eating a bagel now.
Me - Great. What kind?
GS - Sesame Street.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-12-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Hello Everyone

Another busy day at my house with my second boot camp class. I really thought I was going to pass out during parts of the class but I kept on going. Did not have time for my 169 mantra as I was too busy trying to remember to just keep breathing. I find it interesting that people automatically assume if someone is overweight that they won't be able to do the exercises. At times in the first class the instructor kept checking on me to see if I was okay and if we needed to slow down, I have a tendency to get really red in the face when I exercise so I'm sure that's why he was concerned. I kept saying I was good and not to change anything for me. Todays class was 2 different instructors and I think they were more surprised at how well I kept up. It's really called boot camp for a reason! I felt in both classes like I was in the last chance workout of a Biggest Loser episode. I was also thinking that when I started Zumba in April I could barely get through a class and now I think that's going to be my easy class of the week. It's another tool of measurement I use when the scale seems stuck, my endurance is so much better now.

Stayed OP for food today, ate slowly, mindfully, sitting down, did not leave a bite. With DH starting the calorie counting we are now measuring out everything we both eat. The scale and measuring cups are on the table with us for meals. He's making really good choices and is very determined to lose weight. He's about .8 away from his first 10 pounds. We have my side of the family's Christmas dinner tomorrow as we won't all be together over the holidays. I'm going to use va1erie's small plate idea at the buffet line. Not sure why I did not think of that when for the past 3 days I've chosen to use a smaller plate in my own house.

I know most of you are looking at your upcoming Thanksgiving celebration as a day for possible set backs. Thanksgiving is a much bigger holiday in the US than in Canada and with it being so much closer to Christmas I can see where it would be easy to get off track. I had a couple of WW leaders who always use to say that the issue was not the amount of food you ate between Christmas Day and New Years Day, but the amount that you ate between New Years Day and Christmas. It really put that week into a different perspective for me. As a family (my mom, sister and I) we decided a couple of years ago that we did not need the massive amount of baking and treats that we would all make, devour and then end up with numerous frozen containers of (that I was generally throwing away around Easter). So now we make 3 things (family favorites) and that's it. And the most surprising part - no one really even misses it.

Have a good Sunday everyone!

Last edited by Tazzy; 11-12-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #90  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Several nights of very poor sleep, tossing and turning, up and down, feeling achy all over and very tired. It is times like this that I just get so tired of being so patient with dealing with my RA. It just plain sucks!

This must be my week for my soul to be convicted of interpersonal skills. I was very irritable yesterday and probably out of my sleep deprivation nagged my husband, Paul, who gets less and less focused when he is under stress, about this, that or the other, only for him to admit that it makes him feel bad when I nag him repeatedly. I said, okay, from now on, I won't nag, but I also said, I know what is going to happen, you are going to forget something then turn on yourself and I am just going to have to watch you degrade yourself. So, does it feel better if you berate yourself for forgetting to do something or to have me try to remember the things you need to remember so you won't??? As you can tell, I am the more organized of us two. Mea Culpa.

For 11/10:

Calories: 2356
Carbs: 271
Fat: 94
Protein: 132
Sodium: 2628

Water: 64 oz
Exercise: none

For 11/11:
Calories: 3195
Carbs: 440
Fat: 115
Protein: 126
Fiber: 32
Sodium: 4251

(ordered delivery pizza for dinner!)

For 11/12:

Calories: 2023
Carbs: 248
Fat: 72
Protein: 111
Fiber: 37 (ate two bowls of black bean chili)
Sodium: 2965

A couple of days that I am not keen about. 90% was definitely on plan but one thing I am going to have to do is still watch how those innocuous calories can and do add up quite quickly; e.g. 1 oz walnuts= 180 calories 1 cup of black bean chili= 450 mg sodium (this is homemade too), just to name a few that I have thoroughly enjoyed eating but hated to see how they added up when added to other food items.

Reducing my calories has always been my struggle and now is no different.

Val I am not quite sure how I will handle each day that I mentioned. I do know that we will be going out to eat on Thanksgiving to a favorite restaurant which we have done in the past. I like the idea of not having leftovers to return to at home. Yes, I do log my food every day and in fact the day above where I ordered pizza I reported to the host for the November Food Accountability Challenge. I have always felt that my daily food log has been one of my cornerstones of my weight lose strategy. I am in the lead for this Challenge but, as you can see, I had a rocky couple of days. I am sure the combination of sleep deprivation and chronic overall inflammation I am experiencing is testing my resolve and focus.

If I eat it, I log it. The only difference that I expect on those days is I might have a larger serving size of a particular favorite food but I do not intend on becoming "Thanksgiving dinner"-stuffed. The last time I did that (it was in the past year) I was seriously tempted to put my finger down my throat because I couldn't stand how that felt.

However, I will report how those days went for me because I do want to see how I handled these occasions, what I could do better in the future and what I did well.

Well, more tomorrow.

Pam

Pam
Closed Thread