Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 05:49 AM   #16  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Needed two Par20 Halogen light bulbs yesterday evening so I spontaneously walked (CREDIT moi) to the local hardware store and got them - a clear sign that I'm over my bug that kept me mostly in bed for three days. I remain in awe at the choices in light bulbs these days; can't wait for the LED bulbs to drop a bit further in price.

Our little house makeover reaches a milestone this morning when the movers return our furniture from storage. Naturally, we're prepared in some ways, less so in others. DW predicts it'll take us a year to put the whole package back together. The movers will return boxes of stuff that we took from the walls that we will have to rehang or decide what to do with. While taking it down, we realized how much we each liked certain pieces and disliked others. Also noting, sigh, that only sometimes was it the same, LOL.

onebyone – Happy Twentieth Anniversary!! May you have many more. Kudos for tending to your teeth - I've been at that place where it was going to take multiple visits to get back on track. Good luck chasing down that bathing suit - sounds like a good item to allow you one of the exercises that you really love. You'll also need it for Florida won't you?

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Thanks for, "none of uncertainties of the day will be fixed with cookies or donuts" - might I add tree nuts to that which won't solve that which needs solving as I face a stream of micro decisions this morning.

pamaga – Kudos for being so clearly aware of your "'slippery slopes': poor sleep, trigger foods, lack of planning." [Thanks for the Non Bon Appetit??? - I've never received one of those before, LOL.]

Val (va1erie) – Kudos for threading yourself through "another stressful day" and still managing to make a big pot of healthy soup. I love soup for dinner.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Congrats on another pound gone. Is it still warm enough down there for walking outdoors?

Julie (na3309) – Sending supportive thoughts as you deal with your mother's health. Yep, that's the kind of reality that challenges planning. And, again, you're right, the Beck Strategies can help with those challenges. Kudos for posting, and for continuing to work your plan.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 6 Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating
experiment 2 Prove to yourself that hunger isn't an emergency.
what to do . . .
If this experiment is meaningful to you, file that milestone in your Memory Box. Here's what Philip wrote on his card:
I was so afraid of being hungry and so proud of myself
for getting through the experiment. The hunger I expe-
rienced was not as severe as I'd imagined. It was actu-
ally no big deal. I was amazed.
When you contact your Diet Buddy tonight, report on your Success Skills Sheet (pages 266-267) and the conclusions you have drawn from this experiment.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 80.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-03-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks... I am reading my out of town/travelling cards. I'll be heading to see my GS. My tummy is finally feeling better... I am weaning off my 'real gingerale' marathon. Perhaps, I shoud have tried ginger tea instead of ginger ale... because of all the carbs/sugar. It worked where other things did not.

Today I am picking up, yet, another foot/ankle brace. This is the last thing. I wish this foot/ankle challenge was over. It should be history, really. But - after having three legitmate setbacks on surgery - I guess I am leary of it. It may be my last option. (in the mean time the surgeon did NOT want to do surgery because of a new brace which didn't work in the long run) I went to an orthosist (sp) to fix my current brace in the mean time. She said she could fashion something that would work. That is what I am getting today. DH and I decided it was worth one last try. My foot/ankle has some soreness -and, I don't have long distance or long standing up mobility. So that's where I am in that.

I have my day planned out. I plan to do my meditation, journalling, measure/log food, stretches & strengthening, lots of water.

I hope you all have a GREAT day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-03-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #18  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

Na: Oh yes, I’m a sabotager too, I get it. Good for you for getting back on track and reaching out to your resources and support system! You have so much going on, and it’s rough, but you’re still doing great! ... best to you.

One: Nice to meet you too! My husband and I met 20 years ago this past Halloween; started dating a week later.

Bill: Yes! It’s supposed to get into the 70s next week even! I do need to get back outside. I’m registered for a 5k next month so I do have to get started. Glad you’re feeling better! How did you fair the snow?

Joy: Hope your foot/ankle recovers soon! Glad you’re feeling better and great getting your plan together!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #19  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

Food yesterday was SANE. A nibble of a biscuit and a sm.piece of milk choc. were my only indisgressions (at Whole Foods) and I can live with that. I squashed the idea of Thai food for lunch and instead had a salad I like at a nearby restaurant. I came home and made a quick and healthy dinner, too. I'm off with my mom and sis and once again the day does not allow for planning ahead instead requiring spur of the moment "sane" food decisions. I don't know what they have in mind for lunch but I've had my green smoothie and am prepared to make good decisions.

BillBlueEyes, glad to hear you're feeling better, witnessed by spontaneous walking to the hardware store. Actually, yesterday as I was having a moment of frustration I remembered tree nuts in my purse....then thought of you. I had a navel orange, too, and enjoyed it as a snack instead.

onebyone, so glad to hear from you! I, too, had neglected my teeth as the scale moved up and found myself in a similar situation. Part of losing weight was taking care of some of the other neglect in my life. *credit* for doing so. Even today, it feels so much better to be on a schedule at the dentist. I'm remembering your getting in the groove with your WL in the fall-go for it!

everyone else! I've got chores to do before leaving in an hour.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, I have taken today off. I had another breakdown two nites ago and I need to make changes and get more support. I called my old counselor and I will see her tomorrow. DH and I have made a huge, difficult decision. I am going to take a leave of absence from school next year. Just knowing that helped me get through yesterday. I love teaching (22 years) but I can't continue at the school where teachers are being punished for choosing to teach the most needy children. I will finish my thesis ( book) next year and then see what happens. I am sad because my job has never been a job, it has been an avocation and it tough for me to let it go.
Food was disastrous the last couple of days. I might as well have put some tin foil on my head and trick or treated as a giant Hershey's Kiss because that is all that was inside me. I have been listening to everyone and I am going to start some changes today. Weight up 1.4 pounds - three pounds from ticker.

onebyone – Happy Birthday. November thru Feb is my best time to lose as well. You reminded me of that and I feel a new optimism.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – I love hearing " not one bite" at work." Work is my big challenge right now because of all the candy the teachers have. I have let myself get into a BAD habit.

pamaga – There is power in logging in your food. I just keep doing a plan but I don't modify what I end up actually eating. That is the change I am making today.

Val (va1erie) – I am making my favorite chicken leek soup today!

Donamari (fyreflie24) – I bet it is a pretty good story if you and your husband met on Halloween.

Julie (na3309) – I am the same way with sweets. I have been in sweets clutches for about three weeks and it is time to get off them.

BBE - super congrats on you move in. What and accomplishment!

Beverleyjoy and 4everlearning: medical stuff and sleep - whoa - those are the two biggies everyone takes for granite. Credit for perservering.

Last edited by maryann; 11-03-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #21  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

to everyone.

Onebyone and maryann: I lose weight between November and February, too, sometimes on through March and into April. I'd wondered why but not come up with any strong ideas. We all live in different climates. We are not responding to winter by overeating. Any ideas? I seem to put on weight between April and November and the only reason I can muster here is that my DB's school summer holidays (mid July to beginning of September) challenge me in different ways and my food is less well planned then.

I lurk here and find much of interest. Beck, though, doesn't quite chime with me. I read the pink book and found it interesting but her voice and language annoyed me. It could be that the book doesn't cross the Atlantic very well although your voices do, in a very pleasant way. Perhaps it's a case of take what works and leave the rest.

Last edited by silverbirch; 11-03-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #22  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Silverbirch I often wonder how you and others who are "here but not here" are doing. I understand how you feel about the pink book. I read it through when it was first published in 2007. I tossed it aside and said " well, all of this is common sense". Well, it might be but I wasn't "getting it" because after I kept losing, regaining and then losing again for another 4 years, I needed something.

I still had some reservations while I was re-reading the pink book this past spring but I kept reminding myself to keep an open mind and do the homework at the end of each day. Now, that I have had several months to continually practice it I am surprised at how often I do bring one of the skills up in two other groups that I post in regularly. I am surprised at other people's reactions; like I had just landed from another planet and I am sharing something very "unearthly". Now, I can't seem to not want to practice these skills.

I see people here, like Bill, Val and Robin, who are all maintaining their weight lose and using the Beck skills adjunct and I think "well, there must be something to this or they would have abandoned it long ago." So, in a round about way, I am saying that I hear your concerns, I have had those, and thank you for stopping by and sharing with us how you are doing. I also subscribe to the 12 step saying" take what you need and leave the rest". I have already revised my response cards about 10 days ago to reflect who I am today. Even my reasons for wanting to lose weight have changed somewhat. Good luck and God Bless on your journey, wherever it make take or find you.

onebyone Hey GF, we were wondering what our resident artist was up to. I figured you were up to your armpits in pots and firing ovens.

We are having an uncharacteristically cold fall for the deep south(we have already had several nights of frost alerts). I am 7 hours north of Disneyland so Florida will be in the 60s, which can be rainy and windy. Brrr, that is cold! FYI: the "real" southerners (I'm a northern transplant) do not believe in heated in ground pools.

So, if you bring a suit (I have several never worn ones if you are interested--I buy things in multiples) you will need to use it indoors because you will freeze if you try and swim in the ocean or in an outdoor pool, if one is even open. I remember coming from the North and being the only one who swam in an unheated in ground pool at the hotel I was staying in Austin, TX. Looking back on it, I now understand why the hotel staff was looking at me "oddly".

For those of you who experience better fortune during the winter at losing weight Good Fortune be with you. I would say luck but we all know luck has very little to do with it, right?

maryann I am so sorry that you are going through such a rough time. It is very difficult to do what your heart tells you is the right thing to do and you have others who have their own agenda. Credit for realizing this is a time where you need added support. Our love and thoughts are with you.

For those of you who are dealing with a parent who have serious conditions, my heart goes out to you. I experienced that with my own Mom back in 2008. The entire year was about seeing her courageously fight two cancers, heart attacks, strokes, temporary blindness, dementia, pneumonia and her ever present arthritis. I saw a real hero that year. It changed my life in such a profound way, words do not do it justice. My prayers and love are with you as you deal with such "tough stuff".

Bill, my man, glad to hear that you are back in your elements-Whole Foods and Home Depot. I think I just saw both their stocks rise a little when you walked in their front doors. Paper, plastic or recyclable?

Just For Today

Read response cards before first meal of the day. yes
Weighed today. yes
Stayed within recommended calorie range. yes
Followed my recommended food plan. yes
Planned next day's food plan. believe it or not but yes I am starting to!
Did daily spontaneous movement and planned exercise. yes
Avoided "slippery slopes": poor sleep, trigger foods, lack of planning. yes
Practiced strategies to combat sabotaging thoughts. yes
Work on making "enrich your life" list happen. yes

Again, for those of you who are just dropping in or are new to our group, I am following a Food Accountability Challenge for the month of November on my Biggest Loser Club site. Think of a cattle prod to a sluggish mammal and you have an idea of what a "Buddy Challenge" constitutes.

I have known for quite some time (if not forever) that my food plan definitely needed working on. I quickly signed up for two back to back food challenges just to compare mine against what is "recommended" by the BL team of "experts". Well, what I learned in October is that I would have to make more of a concerted effort to include 1-2 healthy fats in my daily food plan. However, silverbirch, like you, I just couldn't get the total hang of eating 5-6 smaller meals a day. I am fine with one "larger" one with a couple of mini meals strung along here and there. I tried it for one month, didn't like it, didn't feel right to me, and I decided to go back to 4-5 meals instead. Now, November's Challenge is about staying within the recommended calories and nutrients so I will be posting that every day. In fact, if I were smart, I would be doing this from here on out.

Recommended:

1400-1800 calories
210-270 g carbs
31-60 g fat
53-113 g protein
22+ g fiber
<3000 milligrams sodium

Mine for 11/2:

1800 cal.(whew! that was close)
266 carbs
55 fat
101 protein
31 fiber
2819 sodium (my nemesis)

I have had to practice the anti-craving strategies in the past few hours. I am so going through withdrawal in wanting to eat out. I vowed I would not have pizza for this entire month. Sheer agony! (alright a little melodramatic maybe).

I googled that well known restaurant for tomorrow's catered affair and they do not get anything but Ds or C- for their food selections according to MyFitnessPal. They even manage to screw up a wrap and a salad. C'mon! So, I am going to have to figure out a plan on how I am going to approach this meal tomorrow night.

Credit
for diplomatically standing my ground within a group dynamic that has its own land mines ---not eating over the palatable tension(s) that I have arose from time to time AND not even considering on eating over it.
I am just so not into eating over life's thorny problems. I can live with the tension, the uncertainty and, yes, the possible ugliness of not being liked to "stand my ground". I am very appreciative of knowing who my true friends are in all of that too. I let them know as much as well.

Credit Quickly resolved yet another thorny problem with spouse in a gentle supportive and caring way. He lost 2 $100 bills (put it in with some paperwork and now no where to be found) a client gave him for work he had done for a business and we had to "eat the lose" ourselves. Ouch! There went two hours of work. I made him his favorite chicken dinner, made sure we watched some funny shows (Modern Family was a hoot!) and then gave him some "good lovin" before bedtime. He got a call this morning from another business who needed some work done asap. Good karma!! Yea!!

Take care all,

Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 11-03-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #23  
julieb

S/C/G: 210/190/150

Height: 5'8"

Hey all,

Just checking in. Still haven't done the book yet. I'm still at the same lesson. Where did my motivation go?

I have had a crazy day! I have a memorial to go to tonight. He was just an acquaintance to me but im going more for a friend that was close to him. Then a good friend of mine just had her baby this morning. I just came home from the hospital. I guess life is crazy like this at times. A beginning and an end in one day.

Im gonna make myself take some time tonight to do my lesson.

Be back soon!

Last edited by na3309; 11-03-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 145/144/115

Height: 5'3

Wow. Support. Credit. And lots of it. I hope y'all don't mind if I make myself at home!

It'll take more than a minute to learn the ropes, but thanks to the invitation of @ BillBlueEyes and @Beverlyjoy, I though I'd begin with an introduction.

I look forward to sharing the Beck journey!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 145/144/115

Height: 5'3

@na3309 I'm posting daily as I listen to the solution right beneath this thread. If you need an extra bit of accountability, I'd love the company!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #26  
Green Tomatoes

On pace for NaNoWriMo, November exercise, and a business project I'm working on. This month, I seem to have found the place I've been looking for -- where I apply Beck principles to life and actually make things happen instead of wishing that they were different.

One of my theme songs for the month is I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack:

Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens.
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance.
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.

WI: NC in kgs, Exercise: +45 1300/1300 minutes for November, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Huh. I thought I posted yesterday. onebyone: I added you as a buddy at NaNoWriMo -- I'm WriterJoy.

BillBlueEyes: glad you're feeling better! DH is really wanting those LED bulbs to get to a price point that makes sense, too.

maryann: it sounds like you've made some hard decisions that will really make a positive difference for yourself and your family.

Silverbirch: I'm another who makes Beck work in spite of the voice and language rather than because of it. I rewrote pretty much every response into language that was either friendlier or less hokey or more human so it would work better for me.

Welcome, Nelia! Support and credit is definitely what we're about here. Jump right in and don't worry about getting it right -- there is no right! It's what works for you and each of us.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi friends... yesterday was much better... No need for gingerale, too. I have read my cards, packed my journal/cards, and will go to see my GS (and his parents, - second billing - LOL) I will try to check in. Hopefully, I will be able to use DS's laptop.

Have a wonderful weekend.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #28  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Nelia

Nelia

And, in honor of your first month on 3 Fat Chicks,

How did you learn about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 11-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #29  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Good news is that we like our old furniture, which seems an odd thing to say, but we were expecting to find it ugly and obsolete in the freshly painted rooms. Upped and downed the stairs a million times, CREDIT moi. Eating was good (CREDIT moi) including dinner of white beans with sage - the world's most simple dish that we both love.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the Lee Ann Womack song quote, "And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance." That rings with me. Big Kudos for taking the Beck principles to another part of your life.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for "SANE" - may it continue as you wander about with your mom and sis.

Beverlyjoy – Yay for a trip to see the GS (laugh therapist) to keep the perspective on life. Hoping that the new brace is the solution you've been after.

silverbirch – Such a joy to see your stern avatar pop up. Interesting notion that Beck's "voice and language" can seem annoying - makes me wonder if we each have only a certain percentage of folks who find us pleasing. No help for you in the yearly weight cycle. Around here, ever evening meal in the winter is a full event, while in the summer, the evening meal is more often just grabbed because we're so busy.

pamaga – Yep, Kudos indeed for finding a way though difficult dynamics to stand your ground. Ouch for those lost C notes - that hurts.

maryann - Congrats for facing and making such a huge decision. These big life changes are hard as adults - even though we expect kids to make them every year. May a path open for you.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Registering for a 5K event is a great way to force some exercise, Kudos for that. [We did well despite the snow - no serious tree limbs down. We do know folks who spent four nights without heat, and there's one community in Massachusetts that is still blacked out.]

Julie (na3309) – Kudos for checking in - to get you moxie going to get cracking on reading the book. That's an emotional journey to do "A beginning and an end in one day."

Nelia – Yep, make yourself right at home. We have no rules to learn. I suggest ignoring any attempt to do personals until you begin to get an image of the folks - and then just dribble in a few at a time. I read your daily posting on your own thread, but everyone posting here might now know you've been posting daily for a while now. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 6 Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating
experiment 3 Prove to yourself that fullness kicks in.
If you practice eating slowly, you have a greater chance of feeling full as you finish all of the food on your plate. This sensation won't always happen simultaneously, however. It may take as long as 20 minutes to feel full after eating - which is why it's important to prove to yourself that fullness always sets in, even if it takes a few minutes. Once you know this, when you finish a meal, you will be able to say to yourself, I'm still a little hungry, but I don't need to eat ... I'll feel full pretty soon, and I'd rather be thinner than keep eating.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 81.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #30  
Maintaining

S/C/G: 140/112/117

Height: 5'2"

report: didn't read my cards, weighed (no change), ate slowly, mindfully, sitting down, and left a bite. Got little exercise, but I walked to class this morning, yay me! And, wow, I totally forgot to check in here yesterday. Not sure where that came from, because I did weigh myself and I had time at home.

Debbie -- I sometimes think those days that are impossible to plan cause us more anxiety than actual troubles, so credit you for focussing on simply doing the best you can and thinking ahead about the fact that cookies and donuts aren't a solution!

Pam -- yay, you, for planning ahead for unknowables! I also have been finding myself using cognitive therapy techniques in other situations.

Julie -- good for you for coming back even though you've been eating off plan. Thin people eat more than they'd planned to occasionally. It's not a catastrophe; they then get back to eating normally. Focus on that rather than on the fact you've been eating off plan. What were you thinking when you decided to get something sweet for yourself? Don't beat yourself up for taking longer for some of the tasks than you'd like. As long as you're working at it, you're making progress.

Nelia -- Welcome!

gardenerjoy -- yay for being on pace with NaNoWriMo! I'm not going to be able to do it this year, but that's okay. Next year I'll be an empty nester.

Donamari -- yay for being down another pound! You'll be out of the 200s soon!

onebyone -- Happy Birthday! Good for you for coming back, even though you've been eating off plan. That's always the first step. Sorry your anniversary was a let down, and I hope your birthday is better!

BBE -- yay for spontaneous exercise! Glad you're feeling better -- three days feels like forever when you aren't feeling well.

Beverlyjoy -- fingers crossed for the new brace! Glad you're feeling better!

maryann -- I hope your decision to take a leave lets you destress some. Good for you for continuing to check in even though you were eating off plan. Oh, what's your chicken leek soup? I made a huge pot of Mulligatawney -- fantastic, and a low calorie version -- and we're still eating it.

Re: sweets -- what works for me when I get into a sweets marathon is to go completely without carbs for three days. I do what amounts to an Atkins induction -- unlimited amounts of fat and protein, zero carbs -- and by the end of the three days my interest in carbs is zero. Then I start eating on plan.

silverbirch -- interesting that you, too, tend to lose during the winter. I definitely find myself wanting soup a lot all winter, and most of my soups are among my lowest-calorie recipes. Summers I tend to travel a lot, which often means a lot of restaurant meals or other meals I can't as easily plan ahead.

Off tonight for Portland and then Brunswick ME for a college visit with Jane. We're flying so I won't take my scale, and I'll be eating every meal in restaurants for three days. My plan is to make good choices, eat reasonable portions, and hope to arrive back home weighing within a pound of what I weighed this morning. I believe I'll have internet access while I'm gone, but if I don't check in I'll be back Tuesday.
Closed Thread