Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 206/195/165 (for now)

Height: 5' 2"

TriMommy - Welcome to the group! I have only been here a couple of weeks, but I have found everyone very welcoming and supportive! I especially appreciate everyone's suggestions and experiences. I hope you enjoy it as well! I have a group of friends who are involved in tris, and you all amaze me with your endurance and dedication! And the same could be said for raising four little ones! Good luck on your journey!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #92  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Trimommy-this is quite a fit bunch here. We have runners, walkers, bikers, surfers, etc. on the new wee one and fall right in, any time.

CeeJay Well, I go through periods of absolutely god awful sleep. The worst. I am going through a two week stretch of decent sleep although I too end up doing a lot of daily catch up late at night and that ends up pushing bedtime to later than I should be going to bed.
These are the only pointers that I think are working for me right now:
*establish a routine-whether it is getting to bed by 10:00 p.m. or whatever and really stick to it, only allowing yourself one hour later on the weekends. I have read and heard this often and it seems to work.
*eat a carb loaded meal (if your food plan will allow--in fact you might want to save a few calories for that if you can tolerate it) right before bed.
*use herbal supplements like melatonin or teas to make you drowsy.
*listen to soothing music (I listen to classical but no singing) right before bed.
*make love earlier in the evening. I can not sleep after being aroused.
*no caffeine after 6 p.m.

onebyone I am very sorry to hear about how rough you had it with your mom. I went through something similar 3 years ago before my mom died.
Go easy on yourself and, yes, a support group would be ideal if you can find one and it works with your life.

Alana in Canada: The biggest eye opener that I continually get in spite of over a year of logging every bite that I eat is just how much calories are in foods that are tiny, what an actual serving size really is and how easy it is to eat a whole lot of "nothing", still feel hungry and realize that you have painted yourself in the corner. I swear it still happens to me and it is truly one of the biggest sources of frustration in this whole process. Yes, including healthy foods. A serving of long cooking oatmeal is 1/2 cup and 160 calories. Personally, I could (and have) eaten a whole lot more! I love oatmeal. Dried fruit like raisins, dates and prunes are extremely high in calories --130 calories for 1/2 cup for raisins. I rarely eat "white anything" any more and yet look at what I weigh. Obviously, my doctor doesn't think I am healthy in spite of all the "numbers" being in the normal range. They see extra weight and see unhealthy. rubidoux I feel caught between a rock and a hard place on this issue. I have changed my feelings about it often. Right now, I don't think it is healthy to be my current weight. I just don't.

Calories are calories and it is only eating less and burning off the rest that allows us to lose weight. I used to debate about counting calories until I was blue in the face. I just thought if I could only eat healthy I would be thin. Wrong! It still is about eating less calories and/or burning more. If I were a trialthon-er like Trimommy here, I could probably eat more but until I can get to that place where my body is a hot combustible furnace, I am going to have to ease up on my portions. It is science and it is all math---numbers. Calories In<>Calories Out.

However, I will say (sneaky person that I know I can be--hey, I am recovering food addict, I know who I am) my eye is glancing at the calendar and soon as I can get my calorie burning up to snuff, I do know that I will be tempted to eat some more. Let's hope, I know when to stop!!

In the meantime, I will have to be more diligent about counting calories; whether that sounds "ho hum" or so 1980s; it is my present reality! (P.S.--after a decade of "just salads" back in the 80s I rarely eat them any more--I just can't go there any more....just can't) Footnote: most restaurant salads are so high in sodium that most people think that by asking for no dressing or on the side, they are "winning".....I've checked the websites out. So, for those salad lovers, if you weigh more the next day, you know why....smoked turkey, ham, salty chickpeas, some seeds, celery, etc.

Credit:
*walked 1.5 miles today---very slowly but I did it.
*decided to be a true buddy today during the BLC challenge and share what I know to anyone who wanted to know and asked then shut up to any one who didn't. Good practice in life. Right?
*stayed within my recommended BLC calorie range. In fact, I had a huge bowl of shredded wheat with agave nectar before bed. I had the calories to spare. in fact, I still could have something else but I won't again!!
*great job of choosing best foods at an all you can eat buffet restaurant. Fresh watermelon (Bill?), cooked carrots and corn on the cob, lean baked fish and roasted turkey meat, just 1/4 cup black-eyed peas (my favorite-sigh)and a no sugar added mocha cake for dessert (light and just baked).
*did strength exercises with ankle weights for lower body. My upper arms are looking muscular these days and my abs are flattening out nicely.
*"digging" the feeling that my body is beginning to be awakened from a long hibernation. I so love the feeling when it gets stronger and stronger. It is definitely worth the effort and the wait.

Love to All
Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 08-08-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:57 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Omgosh, you guys, I'm totally overwhelmed by everything to respond to here. I have read all of the replies but I'm only going to reply to a couple. Tomorrow I will jump back on that!

Onebyone, BIG hugs! I can't imagine how hard that all must be.

Trimommy, Welcome!!! And I hope you have great success with BDS. I am new to it myself, I don't even have the book yet. (Feels like I ordered it from Amazon a month ago! Gah!) But I'm already seeing real progress.

Pam, I completely understand feeling unhealthy at your current weight. When I was at my high weight I felt pretty unhealthy and my weight was a big part of it. At my current weight, though, 177 pounds, I am still well into the clinically obese category and I have just been feeling on top of the world (for the most part) and physically, just great. I might be very marginally healthier if I were 50 pounds lighter, but I bet it would be *very marginal*. All of my markers -- blood fats, blood pressure, etc -- are great. My diabetes, which is doing great these days, isn't actually related to my weight. Carrying more weight can make it harder to control one's blood sugar, but it doesn't seem to be causing me any trouble now. I use only around 15 units of insulin a day now (I once used around 100), which is shockingly low for a type I. So, I totally get feeling that your weight is unhealthy, I just don't think that all "fat" people are unhealthy, kwim?

As for me... I have had the munchies for two days now! Ugh! But I haven't given in. I'm really proud of myself but I also want to go back to not being all that interested in food. It's hard to have to be constantly fighting it. I'm starting to have sabotaging thoughts like: "maybe if I give in and have one off plan treat/snack/meal" I'll get past it. But I don't actually think that's true. And ya know, now that I think about it, I bet it was all that dratted exercise that made me feel this way! Ha! Well, realizing that there's probably a reason for it makes me feel a little better. Maybe tomorrow I will be back to normal.

I think, btw, that the exercise also caused a gain! I think it's probably water from my muscles swelling or something along those lines. I've been totally OP and exercise is the only change, but this morning I was up 1.2 pounds and it's not TOM. I know our weights are supposed to vary quite a bit, but mine tends not to. I've been pretty sore. It feels good, though!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:29 AM   #94  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome TriMommy

TriMommy

And, in honor of your first post, .

Neat that you found out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck from watching your friends use it. It's great to start out with the sense of knowing that it works.

With book in hand, how did you find this Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:45 AM   #95  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It's getting more frantic around here and it's kinda exciting to keep up. I've stayed on plan for real meals, CREDIT moi, but fell into snacking at one point when I wanted food to fix missing reinforcing boards to support towel bars and hand bars - Ouch.

For exercise I up-ticked the month count for my new journey, CREDIT moi.

onebyone - Wish I could join you for your garage sale - we've still got too much stuff. Sending supportive thoughts as you confront your mom's Alzheimer’s; a support group sounds like a good idea.

Shepardess - Yay for fresh blueberries - regardless of how they get repackaged for consumption. Kudos for running in the heat.

Erika (eusebius) - Kudos for sticking to your Qi Gong, with Congrats for that 5.6 gone.

CeeJay - Hope someone gives you some good ideas about sleep - I never get eight hours. Kudos for being on plan despite the rigors of returning to work.

maryann - Staying OP when faced with breeding wild animals isn't covered in the regular Beck books - Kudos for developing a new path.

pamatga - Yay for a body "beginning to be awakened from a long hibernation." And Kudos for that long walk.

SuperChick - Congrats on that lost stone! Ouch for the migraine - hope that's gone by the time you read this.

Alana in Canada - Yes, kids should arrive with instructions - tailored to the specific model at hand, LOL.

missyj - Kudos for staying the course with weekend houseguests. LOL at taping your ARC's to your forehead - hope that helps with all the restaurant meals.

rubidoux - Yep, sore muscles do feel good. Big Kudos for standing down the munchies.

TriMommy - That half Ironman triathlon sounds like a serious challenge. (Who knew that Ironman training causes pregnancy, LOL.) You're off to a serious start preparing for Phase I. Yep, these Beck strategies contain the skills that will help when white knuckling it stops working. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 3 Eat Slowly, While Sitting Down and Enjoying Every Bite

tip:The hungrier you
are, the slower you should
eat. Eating quickly - which
may be your first instinct -
will leave you feeling unsatis-
fied and still hungry!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 62.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #96  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Morning Coaches/Buddies!

Only time for a quick checkin today. Yesterday went well and I saw another loss on the scale this morning (Now at 6.0 lbs total lost!). Today I have to eat out twice and my new plan is fairly restrictive by most standards, so I am bringing beans and my own salad dressing with me and hoping I can get a salad with not too much extra stuff in it besides veggies. Wish me luck!

Also I'm playing for some vocal exams today and leading discussion at my meditation group. Whew. Glad I don't have much on tomorrow ...
Hope everyone has a great day!

Erika

Read ARC: yes
Sat down to eat: yes
Gave myself credit: yes
Walking: yes
Qi Gong: no
Old 08-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #97  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

GM everyone!

I awoke around 7 a.m. (even though going to bed at 2 a.m.) because my stomach was growling. That is my alarm clock!

eusebius on the 6 lbs lost!!

Credit: For yesterday and Day 1 of BLC "buddy challenge".

Here is my "stats" from Day 1:
*BLC has recommended I eat between 1800-2100 calories per day and burn 203 calories "on the side". I accomplished that.
*1985 calories (30 grams of fiber)(3404 mg sodium-need less)
*4 servings of vegetables:corn on cob, cooked carrots, potatoes and black-eyed peas. 4 servings fruit---all watermelon!! [These were the choices from the all you can eat buffet restaurant--all locally grown and fresh!---one reason why my DH and I have gone there for 7 1/2 years!]
*220 calories burned--How?
>Walked (sloooowly) 1.5 miles (used my pedometer to measure accurately)--even wore it when I walked my 10 mins on treadmill.
*my day to do my BLC strength exercises (plus a few of my past favorites): 2 sets of 15 reps of 7 separate exercises per lower body part with 5 lbs ankle weights (just added those last Friday) [Note: I do this every other day and I haven't missed any days since June 4th]-takes 25-30 minutes.
>I do 2 sets of 15 reps for upper, middle (both sides) and lower abs for a total of 120 reps.
>Then, I do 2 sets of 10 reps of 7 separate exercises for my upper body.[Note: since my b-day-mid July-I added heavier hand weights to 3 lbs each so I dropped down to less reps until I get used to the extra weight--I'm working with arthritis in both my shoulder/elbow and neck joints so I have proceeded with all of this very slooooowly and carefully.] Again, this takes 25-30 minutes. [I just want to avoid injury since that benches you which adds to discouragement, which I don't need!]

My personal "challenge" is:
** to stay within my recommended calorie range right up to October 10th (end of buddy challenge) and hopefully beyond
**just continue with my work out routine that I have been doing, listening to my body and increasing weight and/or reps as this becomes "too easy".
**keep my sodium levels under the recommended 3000 mg. I have low blood pressure (106/60 with pulse 75) but eating more sodium slows my weight lose significantly.
**I do want to see 20 lbs less by October 11th---God willing!

Have a great day, everyone!

Pam
Old 08-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #98  
Finding what works for me

S/C/G: 209 / 194 / 160

Height: 5' 9"

Morning Coaches, a much better morning for me today – my DB is back and I can see out of both eyes… yippee!

Mainly OP yesterday but for some reason I went a bit awry after dinner.. tiredness or whatever, I need to remember that food doesn’t cure tiredness! So when I was +0.4lbs on the scale this morning I wasn’t surprised. No big deal, just move forward with the information from the scale – it’s a not actually telling me anything I didn’t already know. Credits: food planned, cycled to work, surf planned for later if the ocean plays nice, checked in, read ARC.

Not really sure this happened but I started this ‘check-in’ 5 hours ago and have only just got back to it! Work is manic still and it looks like it’s going to be another busy week…
Old 08-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #99  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy already the 2nd tuesday of August. wow.

Good Morning Coaches

*credit for weighing in (-0.7) = 283.1
I didn't gain while away and that was all I asked so moving on...

I'm very sluggish today. Guess I'm recovering from my trip. I'm feeling... I don't know, gloomy I guess is the word for it. Just like the weather outside. I saw the long range forecast and it said rain for the weekend. 1st rainy forecast in a long time and coincidentally the weekend I thought yesterday we might have our garage sale and get rid of more of this old stuff we have. I need to make a space where we can have guests drop by and stay a while. I don't have that.

Guess that's it. I will try one of my WATP videos this afternoon.
I am not planning anything major, exciting, cutting edge or riotously fun for today. Just quiet R & R.

UPDATE: *credit 1 mile WATP done
I've decided to continue to pursue my goal of 90 workouts. I'd like to do 90 by my birthday Nov 4th.
I'm not going to be rigid here--but it has to be a planned, formal, workout session and NOT spontaneous exercise ie. shopping, getting from here to there, setting up for an art show and etc. I am also a little less than 3 months to my birthday so I am going to think of a birthday weight or health goal. I'm going to ponder this a while and try to come up with something challenging, meaningful, and do-able. I want to succeed. Thanks coaches. A little spring in my step has returned.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-09-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #100  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi friends/becksters - I have another another two healthy days.... that's four. I am grateful.

I have had some credits: plan/measure/log foods, lots of water, leave a bite, weighed, and did my stretches & strengthening. A days ago I started to track my food in Sparkpeople. I just needed to 'change it up' to make it seem fresh. They have improved the system (I've been told) They must have because it's alot easier than when I tried it a couple years ago and was too frustrated to continue.

I had visitted my GS for 8 days. It was great fun. Glad to be home, too.

Tonight I am invited to my neighbor's for pizza tonight. I will bring a salad and my own Pizza Lean Pocket. I am going to say I am watching my salt, etc. Somehow, I don't have it in me at the moment to say I am once again trying to have food sanity and healthful eating and weight loss.

WELCOME TRIMOMMY!

Have a great day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 08-09-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #101  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning Coaches:
Continuing on my "I can't believe I am doing this" trend. I am staying with friends who went for frozen youghurt. I DIDN'T go and took a walk instead. Then, the really big Ta Dah!, They brought me back See's candy as a treat but I didn't eat it.I planned for two pieces at snack this morning. Yum Yum. It is what Beck talks about when you strengthen your resistant muscle with each little positive choice. I am doing things I could never do before. It is amazing.
School starts tomorrow. I will be happy to be back. I have had a nice long break.
Ceejay: Sleep is critical for me. One of the ways I facilitate the evening (DS has music practice, homework, etc...) is menu planning. I never cook one meal. I always double and freeze one. When I roast chicken, I roast a family pack - shred two thirds of the chicken and freeze it for burritos, soup, and pizza. Or I'll have frozen meatballs ready to throw into crockpot. Then there is no prep for meals. Very little cleanup. I am usually in bed by 9:30. I have been working at menu planning for about two years and It keeps getting better and better. By planning, I also don't have to go to the store that often which saves me an hour or two a week.
trimommy: Welcome. There is peace to be found here. I gave up the fight and started to live with success.
shepardess: Nothing better than fresh berries. They will be gone soon enough.
onebyone: good luck with the garage sale.
Beverlyjoy: It is very comforting to bring your own mea sometimes. The focus becomes the people and not the food.
Eusibius: Credit more weightloss. Two meals out is tough. Whenever that occurs I always try to bring at least one meal. That is how I got through Disneyland last year.
pamatga: Sound like you've got a great plann.
superchick:I was .2 up but as you said - with a daily weigh in it is no big deal.
BBE: You are really going to have to post a before and after picture of you place. It is a must see.
rubidoux: I am with you there are lots of response here. I'll try for more tomorrow.

Last edited by maryann; 08-09-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #102  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default Tuesday am

Had a great day yesterday with my son. It was shorter than we both expected (which was nice). We worked together and both of us were patient with one another. (I had to go over multiplying and dividing fractions with him and his brain is just so much faster than mine. He gets the whole thing intuitively which is beyond me, that's for sure.) I hope today goes as well.

I had a totally on-plan day, hooray!
I've got my plan made for today, too.

Maryanne--good for you and your minimal food prep. Sometimes, being a sahm, I feel that's all I do!

Ceejay--We struggle terribly with sleep around here. I'm all ears.

Beverlyjoy--congrats on the healthy days. Don't they feel great?

Onebyone--R&R is good. Sounds like you need it. Hope you can find a support group which will work for you. I can't imagine dealing with an illness like Alzheimer's. I hope you can get some helpful perspective.

Superchick--I'm so relieved you can see out of both eyes, again. Glad to hear you're well.

Pamatga--it's driving me crazy--what's BLC? Sounds like you've got a handle on your challenge. I enjoy reading about all you are up too. Thanks for the commiseration re: tiny yummy ridiculously calorie dense food.

Eusebius: Congrats on the loss!

Bill--I hear you on the missing reenforcing bars. That's really too bad. I wish food could fix that for you.

Rubidoux--good for you for exercising that resistance muscle.

Welcome TriMommy! Congrats on the little one.

Shepherdess--major kudos to you for getting out into the heat when you are a self confessed wimp about it. (I am too.)
Old 08-10-2011, 01:43 AM   #103  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

BBE, I wonder if you're burning as much working on your rehab as you are making up for in snacking. Missing reinforcing boards sounds very frustrating!

eusebius, Yay for the six pounds! That's great!

Pam, Congrats on a great first day! And wow on not missing any days with your strength training since july 4th.

SuperChick, Sounds like you're having a great day! I hope the scale is nicer to you tomorrow.

onebyone, You are down by .7 pounds! I have celebrated over less. I hope you had a nice relaxing day!

Beverlyjoy, Yay for four days! And I totally understand about not wanting to talk about your diet. All of this is so much more complicated because eating and socializing are so closely linked in our culture. (Maybe all cultures?) I hope your dinner went well.

Maryann, That's so great that you could work your chocolates in for your snack and stick to it! You must have a very strong muscle built up!

I had another good day today and I figured out that it was my 11th day completely on plan (except for that low b/s, which I am not counting against myself). I would not be surprised if that was the longest stretch I've had with no cheating or off plan eating of any kind. It's certainly the longest stretch on once/day eating I've done, and if you told me six weeks ago I'd be doing this now, I wouldn't have believed it. I'm giving myself lots of CREDIT!

Today I didn't have the munchy problem I had been having. I'm not sure if it's because I've recovered from all of that exercise or because I was busy and out of the house most of the day, but either way, I'll take it.

I have been having these odd fantasies about a certain restaurant near where I take my son for karate. They bring out a basket of these... well, I don't want to talk about it. But they are maybe the worst food on the planet for me and of course I love them. I am actually kind of thinking that I may be able to use it to my advantage. The only way to get them is to go in and sit down and order a meal. So, I think I am going to decide here and now that the next time I cheat, planned or not, it's going to be those things. That way I can't cheat too spur of the moment, kwim? The odds of me actually getting children dressed and out the door and sitting down in a restaurant just for a craving are low (though certainly not impossible, I think I may have moved mountains before for chocolate ). And if I do manage to do it, well, at least I've had the bad-for-me food of my dreams and I will feel satisfied (that is satisfied in the way that carbs are satisfying, ie, NOT, but ykwim).
Old 08-10-2011, 04:42 AM   #104  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Well food didn't fix the missing reinforcing boards, but our carpenter did. Yay for addressing a problem as soon as it's discovered when fixing is possible with modest effort.

Got into snacks another day. Ouch. I've got to cut this out. Seems like this chaos calls for food to make it go away - I miss knowing where I can go comfortable sit since we're sorta camping in our own house.

onebyone - Yay for a little spring in your step - your mood doesn't have to follow the weather reports all weekend, LOL.

Erika (eusebius) - Yay that you've got your loss pattern going.

Beverlyjoy – Yay for having a plan for your pizza invitation.

maryann - Big Ta Dah! Kudos for stiffing that See's candy.

pamatga - Smart move being conscious that injury benches you and no exercise happens.

SuperChick - Kudos for the clarity, " No big deal, just move forward."

Alana in Canada - Maybe your DS is a math whiz - good college scholarship potential in that.

rubidoux - Eleven Kudos for 11 days on plan. Wonderful planning for that restaurant's evil basket. LOL at, "I think I may have moved mountains before for chocolate."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 3 Eat Slowly, While Sitting Down and Enjoying Every Bite
It helps you in several other ways, too:
what to do . . .
It would be wonderful if you could take a pledge, starting right now and for the rest of your life, to eat all of your food slowly, while sitting down and enjoying every bite - 100 percent of the time. It's an important goal, one you probably will not reach overnight. It may take you a few days or weeks to master this important skill. Just keep practicing. The more you practice, the easier it will get. And remember, it's worth it to make this pledge! You'll get so many benefits in return.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 63.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:44 AM   #105  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Life has been crazy/busy but I've stuck to my sane food plan, except for the other eve when I started some insane after dinner snacking. I stopped *credit* acknowledging that food would never fix that kind of tired...went to bed at 6pm and slept 11 hours.

We are packing the car headed to Santa Fe. I'm hoping for some time to sit down and respond to you all.

TriMommy! Beck Diet Solution is helping me to make some permanent changes. Glad you're here!
Closed Thread