Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #196  

S/C/G: 278/274/170

Height: 5' 6.5"

Pretty good day, have stayed OP and even let hunger pass by till I could get back to work for my prepared lunch instead of stopping for fast food. Getting ready to leave for the lake on Thursday going to try my hardest to stay OP, I have NO CHOICE right? :-)
Old 07-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #197  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

onebyone--congrats on completeing Day!! I googled P90 and found out it is a kind of sub machine gun, lol!

I'm going to persevere and see if I can find it--who know, maybe I'll join you!

anotherchick--congrats on staying OP and waiting out the hunger pangs.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #198  

Hi Everyone,
Been a pretty good day for me. Did well sticking to my plan and even got in some exercise, a short walk with my pup. About to go do my Power90 Cardio workout even though it is getting later.
Well, be back in the morning to read posts. Hope everyone is doing well.

GardeningDeb
Old 07-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #199  

S/C/G: 174/164/140

Height: 5'5

Hello all,
I'm on day 7 of the Beck Diet solution and am enjoying this mental approach very much. I'm posting here because I figured this is the best place to have a consistent "diet coach" like she recommends. Well, I'm crediting myself because I threw away cereal instead of eating the box. I planned in one bowl for the calories for the day, and had a second one because I had a couple hundred extra cals for the week. Well, I couldn't stop thinking about eating more of the cereal (I LOVE CEREAL!!) so I threw the box away. Clearly it is a trigger if I'm not satisfied with one bowl. In the future I will keep Cheerios and regular Fiber One around if I want cereal. Any other kind is too much of a temptation. I'm proud of myself! I also got done flying for 10 hours and stayed within my planned eating. That is one of the hardest missions for me, so I consider it a big success. Yah!!! Here's to another great day!
Oriana
Old 07-27-2011, 05:04 AM   #200  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Fortunately, the insanity WAS temporary, reminding me, "This, too, shall pass." We had a super physical day with our new $$chipper/shredder and got alot accomplished. OP until dinner, then despite my desire to eat at home we went to Denver and ate out. It doesn't hurt to keep trying so that will be my goal again for today, to have an OP dinner at home. (I do have a feeling that mom is wanting to take us (and our houseguest) to dinner tonight). I'm remembering this is a very unusual and physical week as we wrestle this large yard project. What an accomplishment when we finish. Once again, I'm reminded I couldn't have done this 5 years ago. *credit* for being a workhorse and keeping up with the guys.

BillBlueEyes, glad to hear you resisted the call from the tree nuts!

Oriana (ovwgirl), big credit throwing out the cereal after recognizing it as a trigger food. ….and for staying with your planned eating while flying for 10 hours.

SuperChick, I hope you had a relaxing evening. How far do you ride to work? Nice credit getting a strength workout before biking.

GardeningDeb, *credit* for OP eating, exercise and for getting back into the routine of checking in with your coaches.

Becky(anotherchick
), I really find that the whole thought process of planning ahead for events helps in my success. *credit* for committing to trying your hardest to stay OP at the lake.

onebyone, I'm so excited for you as you set a very reasonable goal! 6 months is so doable. As I was making my commitment I reflected on how long I'd been overweight and that 6 months was such a short period of time. I could go without all of those foods for that short period of time and it just got easier as I resisted and resisted. *credit*, too, for your P90 exercise. I wish I would have known about it at the point I was looking for ways to try and start exercising while carrying extra weight.

Alana(inCanada
), as I chart my weight every day, I find I'm up and down quite frequently but what is important is the general trend which is down.

Shepherdess, yay for a special dinner which was healthy! It's the "New Normal" around here. Great that you're identifying the need to plan some healthy snack options.

maryann, great that you've been careful while vacationing. Hope you are back home by now.

Pam(atga) your muffins sounded healthy and great...reminding me to start doing some bean baking again. I'm going to make a batch of the bean brownies this morning. Great that you're finding the addition of vegetables so easy. *credit * for persisting in all of your positive steps forward.

Woodland, wow! what a big garden! I'm sure you're getting an every day workout right now. Great that you're having such good days OP and I'm really glad you've joined back in with us. I really enjoy hearing what's happening down South just a bit.

MaryContrary, it's great that you've been keeping up with your WL plan while you've been continuing on with your busy schedule. I hope you fit your personal 1/2 day in..I believe we really need that rejuvenation once in a while.

gardenerjoy, I'm loving your tomato/cucumber theme. It's nice to know we share the connection with the strong women in our lives who would have had no idea that we (as a society) would get so detached from our food sources.

It's been a busy few days here. credit us all.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-27-2011 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:22 AM   #201  
Finding what works for me

S/C/G: 209 / 194 / 160

Height: 5' 9"

Morning coaches, a quiet night in last night on my own (bliss, it doesn’t happen often!) so I watched a rubbishy chick flick and had a lovely salad for tea  I had plans to do some gardening / tidy the flat but once I got home, I realised what I really wanted was some downtime; so I listened to my body and did… nothing! It wasn’t hard…

Credits: OP yesterday, dragged myself out of bed for a swim this morning, biked to work, planned my meals, took some time last night to cook some fresh veggies from my garden for later in the week, re-read some of my pink Beck book, checked in.

Not so good: I’ve been having some sabotaging thoughts about my weight – I think it’s because I didn’t lose any weight this week. I am trying to stuff down the sabotaging thoughts as I know I am making positive changes, following Beck and my plan, and trying to hit some of my food issues head on… but I even had the thought this morning ‘what if I never lose any more weight?’ which now, seems ridiculous when I think about it! I really want to weigh in mid-week just to check if I’ve lost any weight, as if I need to validate myself with the scale, which is silly because I know I’m doing what’s right for my body now through healthy eating and moving my body, which should be validation enough. I feel better, and can see I look better too. So, I do not know whether to just forget about the scale till Monday or go mid-week again. Do not want to allow previous anxieties to resurface… or maybe I should, and then try to face them head on instead of burying them. There’s some work to be done here, for sure.

Damn that little box!

Pam – have you tried a breakfast salad yet? Sounds totally alien to me but I’ve heard it bandied around! I’m sure if you added some fruit to it, it would be tasty, but I like to have some carbs in a morning!

Shepherdess – happy anniversary, and credit on trying to make motherhood work for you – I laughed at the image of you and the husband swapping DD back and forth so you could eat! You seem to be taking it in your stride

Onebyone – credit for your renewed motivation and goal setting – we’ll all be here to help you when you need it

Deb and anotherchick – GJ on staying OP

Oriania – good work on sensing a trigger food – good strengthening of your resistance muscle

Debbie – I love ‘keeping up with the guys!’ keep up the positive attitude and you’re right – not all weeks will be this busy. I bike 5 miles to work and back, so 10 miles a day. It’s often quicker than taking the car as I live in a city so it kills two birds with one stone. And I don’t turn up to work with road rage,

Woodland – jealous of your garden size I had another beetroot and a courgette from mine last night
Old 07-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #202  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Oriana (ovwgirl)

Oriana (ovwgirl)

And, in case you didn't get one of these six years ago,

How did you hear about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find the Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 07-27-2011, 06:34 AM   #203  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating on plan (CREDTI moi) until I was handed a bag of peanuts at the baseball game (Ouch). I didn't have a plan, which is almost the same as having a plan to overeat. But got some good walking with DW, CREDIT moi.

onebyone - Neat to have a clear plan for a specific time frame with an end goal. Florida in February is special when you ponder what you've left behind.

Shepardess - LOL at passing DD during your romantic anniversary dinner. Kudos for making a special occasion on plan.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Sound deadly to eat dinner with someone who hasn't eaten all day. Thanks for, This, too, shall pass."

SuperChick – Super Kudos for recognizing that down time is critical for moving forward. Those Sabotaging Thoughts of Exaggerated Thinking slip in so easily. Good work recognizing them. I thought of you last night when we walked past a guy on the street playing his bagpipe - bagpipes always give me the chills.

maryann - Home is a much easier place to focus for me, too.

pamatga - Yep, "sense of wonder" is worthy of Kudos.

GardeningDeb - Walking a pup is especially nice since each day the pup gets stronger and wants a longer walk.

Alana in Canada - Yep, under 250 is your normal.

Becky (anotherchick) - Absolutely, "NO CHOICE" it is.

Welcome Oriana (ovwgirl) - Yep, Kudos for recognizing that that cereal wasn't doing you any good. And Kudos for flying 10 hours and remaining on plan - that's a lot of time in the air.

We're all ready to be your on line Diet Coaches, and hope you'll step to the plate and be a Diet Coach for us. Glad you're here.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan

Success Skill 3 Eat Slowly, While Sitting Down and Enjoying Every Bite
Many dieters I've counseled were astounded by the impact of instituting these three eating habits. Some said it was the first time they had really tasted all of their food. Many lost some weight, without even trying, even though they had not officially started dieting. Although this skill is difficult for some dieters in the beginning, it's so important to remember that the more you practice it, the easier it gets!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 61.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #204  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb

GM and GD Beck diet "buddies" and "coaches":

Thanks Alana for the link. I will check it out. I eat broccoli 4-5x a week as one of my rotating vegetables. I also eat salmon once a week which I hear also has calcium (in fact, any fish that you are willing to eat their soft bones, you are getting calcium from-just don't eat the sharp pokey ones).
OVWgirl probably the reason why some cereals are trigger foods for you is that the carb content, the degree to which it's been processed(meaning how refined it is) and/or the amount of added sugar all add up to "blood sugar spikes". I love shredded wheat but once I got the frosted and OH BOY I was like a cat with cat nip! So, when I eat cereal I stick with plain shredded wheat, long cooking oatmeal (no instant) and anything by Kashi or Cascadia Farms. GJ in identifying a trigger foods. We all have 'em, yup, we do!!
onebyone great goals for preparing for your Florida residency. I too have had to do a "work around" when starting out but you will be at the full fledged sweatin' in no time at all.
shepherdess --something like that, right? How sweet of an anecdote. Also, Happy Belated Anniversary

Hello to Superchick,gardeningdeb, lexxiss,maryann, anotherchick!!

Well, the kitchen "experimentation" continues. I just had to share this since I think someone here(was that you maryann?) mentioned that if you are expecting a veggie burger to taste like a beef burger---well, it ain't. Even if you load on the condiments to help it out. You were right. However, I stumbled onto something that I just had to share with all of you.

When I went shopping this past weekend, I decided that I was going to try some of those pre-pattied turkey burgers (Jennie O). Well, these said on the package from "freezer to grill". I am going to have to contact them though since they vacuum seal them two patties to a package with a thin piece of paper between them. So, am I supposed to grill them together with the piece of paper? I don't think so. Well, anyway, I honestly have never had nor made a turkey burger before so I sprayed the cooking surface let it heat up and then thawed the patties so I could remove the piece of paper. I lightly
salted and peppered the burgers. Then, I got to thinking what else could I add to that to make it taste "good"? I sprinkled some rubbed sage and poultry seasoning on it then finished cooking it. Here's the "ta da" part of the story.

I will digress a minute. I absolutely love pork sausage; links, patties, etc. Jimmy Dean's comes to mind but there are many excellent ones on the market. However, when I began "cleaning up my act" 3 1/2 years ago I discovered that this was one food item that I had to "give up". Most commerically made sausages is 75-80% fat and not the good kind either; maybe, even more. On occasion; like 2x a year I break down and get one of those breakfast sandwiches with pork sausage in them. So, when I finished cooking these turkey burgers and cutting into them, I really was expecting them to, well, duh, taste like turkey, right? No Way! They tasted like pork sausages only less greasy since there was less fat. They weren't dried out either (I absolutely hate dry meat!) This is something that could grace an egg and muffin sandwich and you would be in "hog heaven" (alright then--- poultry heaven).

P.S. I had made a huge (why I don't know) batch of organic couscous. It was so bland and boring. So, I returned to the rest of the huge pan full (sigh); added some chopped onions and mushrooms but that still wasn't enough to bring it to life. So, when I have it again as a leftover, I am going to get in there, maybe add some curry or cumin to it. I'll let you know what I do to make it more palatable. Any one else have any good "seasonings" ideas for bland couscous??

That's it. Having fun in the kitchen. Got my metal fluted "taco shell" forms yesterday in the mail. Supposedly, you just put your tortilla in them and bake them. Instead of frying them like all the restaurants do. I still am going to spray them lightly with some cooking spray "just cuz" it will add a teeny bit of oil without all the negative effects.

P.S. I am not the norm when it comes to cookbooks. I leaf through the book, mark the pages I'd like to try and then "go to town". I also add comments in the margins for things that I "tweaked". I have some that have stains from using them too. In fact, I have a Paula Deen one that I want her to autograph where her "Lady" from scratch fudge brownies are. It is so stained, crinkly from being moistened (by accident) from making that so many times. Now, to make that with some black beans. Yes, It can be done!

Over and out.

Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 07-27-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #205  
Green Tomatoes

pamatga asked several days ago:
Quote:
In the meantime, you would be doing all of us a great service (if you don't mind and/or not too tired of all the "diet talk") if you shared with us the transition that you are obviously making.
Yeah. I lost the weight slowly, making only enough changes to keep the weight loss going. I've known for months now that there really would be no transition. The eating plan will have to be the same. The exercise will have to be the same. But some part of me is saying "Yay! We're done! Time to party!" So, clever me, I've gained some weight back and now I get to go back into losing mode and put this transition stuff off for awhile. Obviously, it's going to take a few tries to get this right. But it's taken a few tries every step of this journey, so why should this be any different?

WI: +0.65 kgs, Exercise: +0 940/1300 minutes for June and 27/33 miles on treadmill, Food: 50%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: congratulations on the Artist in Residence application! That sounds like a terrific opportunity! Not to mention an inspiring motivation for all kinds of healthy activities.

Welcome, ovwgirl!

pamatga: I haven't managed couscous, but with most bland grains, I find a nice fresh salsa on top helps! And it's the perfect time of year. Another possibility, given the season, would be ratatouille or caponata.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #206  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Question Wednesday & looking ahead

Hi coaches

*credit for weighing in (+1.1lbs) = 282.6 sigh.
*credit for posting
*credit for doing day 2 of the p90 workout. Today's was called Sweat (level)1-2. It lived up to its name.

I was achey yesterday after my 1st workout, rolled out of bed this morning feeling not as achey and worried in advance how this would affect today's workout. Well, on day 2 I cannot stretch as wide as I did on day one. I felt I needed to go slower than yesterday, but it was a different kind of workout so not sure if you can really compare the two. Right after the stretching at the beginning there is this Power Yoga section. yikes. Each move transitions into the next move without a break and there is no way my body can flow like that yet. I am too heavy in areas, not strong enough in others (shoulders) and worried about injuring two spots: the upper right shoulder and the right ankle. So I *gulp* modified. Can you believe it? I don't even feel like a "failure"! Basically, I marched on the spot. I did what I could in bits and pieces and marched when it was all I thought I could do. When my strength builds, and/or when my body gets lighter so it's easier to lift up, it will show in the Power Yoga section for sure. There was also an Ab Ripper (I hate the image that gives me) section at the end, basically 100 crunches, 10 in all different manner of leg configurations. I did about 85/100 so that's pretty good. We'll see how that feels later today.

I'm still not sure what to do about the food part. He recommends 1200-1500 calories a day. It looks like such a small amount of food. That always triggers me to binge eat and to feel deprived. I don't even want to try it. But on the other hand, if I accept he know what he's doing re: exercise, why wouldn't I accept the other parts? Ideas anyone on how I can approach the "dieting" aspect? Right now I just feel confused. Should I make this a complete 90 day commitment to this program like an experiment? I could maybe deal with it like that. "If I do X and X then I will get -unknown quantity-?"

Ok I'll be back later for personals. Right now I need to get working on my funny artwork for the upcoming art in the park. I set up on Friday afternoon. Happy Wednesday to y'all!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #207  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

After complaining about the heat, yesterday was a very nice, cool day. It barely hit 80. DH came back home mid-AM and had some work to do at the house. So I left him with a sleeping baby and got in a run. DD was much happier with the cool weather and even gave me a break to get a nap. My food plan took some twists and turns, but all my changes were acceptable swaps. It’s so much easier to make healthy choices when I’ve had some sleep!

Alana in Canada, great job not panicking over a disappointing weigh-in. There are so many factors that affect weight. It’s best to take note what happens day to day, but the long term is what matters.

Onebyone, ouch for emotions and exhaustion driving you to eat, but it sounds like you have a good plan and great motivation. We’re here cheering you on! 1200 to 1500 calories does sound too low, especially if you are ramping up your exercise. There are some weight loss sites that estimate your calorie needs. I would check with one of those (I can provide some links if you don’t know of any.)

Anotherchick, kudos for riding out the hunger and waiting to eat your planned lunch. It’s so hard to remember that hunger is not an emergency.

GardeningDeb, yay for pups that get us out and moving! Great job staying OP.

Welcome OVWgirl! Great job throwing the box of cereal away. It’s so hard to throw away food, but when it’s a trigger, it really is better in the trash.

Lexiss, yay for being in good enough shape to handle a big, physical yard project. Ouch for all the changes to plans, but great job being flexible enough to handle the sudden changes.

SuperChick, it’s good to have a night to yourself! Glad you fully enjoyed it—sometimes there’s nothing better than a trashy chick flick! Great job recognizing your sabotaging thoughts. The scale can be such a tricky thing. When I was losing weight (pre-baby) the scale would get stuck for a week or two, then drop suddenly and unexpectedly. So you’re right that you just need to have faith that your plan is working and the scale will follow eventually.

BillBE, ouch for the unexpected bag of peanuts at the baseball game, but I suppose, given the ballpark options, peanuts are better than the other stuff. Yay for lots of walking.

Pamatga, kudos for all the kitchen experiments. It’s a great reward to discover healthy food that tastes good!

Gardenerjoy, thanks for the reminder that there’s no difference between dieting and maintaining. There is no dieting, only healthy habits. What a great attitude that it will take a few more tries to get it right.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #208  

S/C/G: 278/274/170

Height: 5' 6.5"

Had an unexpected trip to birminham and back (3 - 4 hour drive one way) last night. Didn't get to eat what I had planned, but did stay OP and under calories. Got in at 2AM and up at 6AM for work. Good news is I leave for long weekend at lake with family in the morning. I feel a few naps coming on.
Lost 2lbs - yipee
Old 07-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #209  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon Coaches:
Finally back at home. Scale rests at 4 pounds above ticker but that is not irreversible. Today has been OP. Spent all day working at school to get a heads up on things. I don't really have to be back for 2 weeks. I was analyzing results from state tests. I can say I really helped lots of kids in English. I lost a few (those who fell behind) but more went up than down. It is not perfect but it ain't bad - especially in 8th grade when everything seems tough. I put away my perfectionism. Take what I can and leave the rest. In between statistics and data is a year I spent with each kid that cannot be measured. Credit for remembering.

Last edited by maryann; 07-27-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #210  

Good Evening Everyone,
I had shut down the computer already then remembered I hadn't checked in yet. I had a great day today. Not perfect but stayed well within my range, was peaceful actually. I made a decision yesterday on a change of food plan. It is uncomplicated. Just have to hear back from the nutritionist I am writing to before I institute the change. Want to be sure it is a sound plan before I get moving.

OnebyOne, Are you doing the Power90 workouts, the Beachbody workouts? I started them last August with my son and just love them. I don't do the Yoga though. I alter that area and walk in place. My back just won't do the pretzel moves but a great workout.

Anotherchick, congrats on the 2 lbs. lost.

Pamatga, Amazing work in the kitchen. I am with you about making my foods taste better. Healthy food can taste good too. Not sure what you could use on couscous. Will get back to you with any ideas.

Welcome OVW girl.

BillBlueEyes, Glad you posted the chapter on sitting at the table and eating slowly. One of my worst problems. I tend to eat my meals walking around cooking, doing housework, talking on the phone. One area I need to get back and work at.

Shepherdess, Wondering if your picture is of Wyoming. It is beautiful. I love how the sky touches the ground. We had a cooler day yesterday mostly near 60. Storms later in the afternoon but we needed the rain.

Well, nice to be back. Time to go read my book before bed.

GardeningDeb

Last edited by GardeningDeb; 07-27-2011 at 10:51 PM. Reason: English Error
Closed Thread