Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #31  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Pretty rainy Saturday

Coaches

Woke up to thunder and nio rain but now it's pouring. My drive to Ottawa will be a bit stressful but it's warm and i have all the time in the world.

Yay!

I just had breakfast and I am packed and ready to go.

*credit for weighing in: 284something -1.1lbs.

Will be pleased to be under 280.

I am looking forward to lots of walking this afternoon at the Ottawa park where my artist friends are set up. I've done that show over 10x and last year was the absolute worst. Pouring rain and ZERO sales. I won't forget it. They placed me in such a bad bad spot too. Anyway, that's in the past!

Okay better pack my little netbook up so have a good wekend gang. We're doing great and if we're not doing great yet, we will be. Just keep trying. It'll happen... don't leave before the miracle happens as they say...

silverbirch I think what you said about how doing the annoying dishes makes you want to eat is EXACTLY the kind of behaviour that leads to major binges and self-sabotage. It's the petty annoyances that build up and make us feel like "we deserve" something since we have to do "ALL THIS ____ all the time". Gaining 100lbs did not happen to me overnight. It was steady progressions and a steady stream of thoughts that supported my weight gain all the way to where it is now. With Beck we can turn those thoughts aroudn and support ourselves with out thoughts as we head back down the scale... something that you seem to be doing very well!

And with that I am off.
Have a good Saturday coaches.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #32  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

GOAL! I weighed 170 pounds this morning. Yay! It doesn't feel quite as celebratory as I thought it might -- but mostly that's because I've been celebrating from 190 on down. It just feels so good to be thinner!

Day 41. Make a To Do List. This is mostly about keep doing what I'm doing, sustain the habits that worked. With BillBlueEyes and others as models for continuing to embrace this lifestyle for life, I am committed to this.

WI: -0.35kgs (new low), Exercise: +60 105/1300 minutes for June, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

maryann: yay for summer vacation -- and plans to make it both relaxing and fulfilling

Lexxiss: ouch for altitude scale fluctuations. I didn't know that happened.

wife2abadge: glad you're still here!

pamatga: yay for the plate method! I've seen some criticism on the web, but I think everyone agrees it's better than the pyramid.

onebyone: hope you have a wonderful trip to Ottawa!

CeeJay: so happy for the good news from the scan

BillBlueEyes: cool that weight lifting has the practical application of lifting mini-fridges!

silverbirch and onebyone: I've read recently that dishwashers don't, in fact, save much time, even though people who have them and people who don't all believe that dishwashers do save time. It's something like five minutes a day because washing a dish doesn't take that much more time than rinsing it and putting it in the dishwasher. I don't know if knowing that makes your situation better or worse.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #33  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

Gardenerjoy -- YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations -- reaching goal is fabulous.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #34  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

gardenerjoy!
Old 06-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Congratulations gardenerjoy!!!!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:25 AM   #36  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I'm drinking coffee with the 2% milk from the mini-fridge - so convenient, just like real life, LOL. It's 4.5 cubic feet with no freezer, just what we needed. I do love new toys. Speaking of which, a neighbor put a two seat couch on the curb and I promptly put it in my empty living room for the 4 weeks that we can still use the living room while work begins elsewhere. Then I'll put it back on the curb for its next owner.

Eating was on plan, with a peanut butter, pecan, and banana sandwich for lunch and skewers of swordfish and veggies from Whole Foods (a monster sale item) for dinner; CREDIT moi. Walked, CREDIT moi, to Trader Joe's for pecans and to Whole Foods for roasted soy nuts. I do like walking without a winter coat.

onebyone - Yay for walking in the park in Ottawa.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats on making it to your goal weight - those last few pounds are often so difficult. Monster Kudos for your persistence with your eating plan and exercise plan to get there.

silverbirch - We're addicted to our dishwasher without a good reason, except habit. Its one benefit is size - it can hold all the dishes and glasses from a dinner for six and our small draining rack doesn't so that drying has to progress along with washing. Thanks for the reminder that "when I feel Really Angry" is a good trigger for eating. Almost all my over eating starts with a negative emotion - however minor.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 10
Make Response Cards

Below are three sabotaging thoughts that most dieters have. I would like you to create the corresponding Response Cards so that you will have them on hand once you start Phase I.

sabotaging thought:

It isn't fair. Other people eat whatever they want.
In reality, most people restrict their eating to some degree. When I give workshops on dieting to professionals, I often ask the audience members to stand up. I question, "How many of you eat whatever you want, whenever you want, in whatever quantity you want?" I ask those that do to remain standing and everyone else to sit down. In response, about three-quarters of the audience sits. Then I say, "Would any of you eat more red meat, fired foods, chips, ice cream, pizza, or sweets if there were no negative consequences - for you weight or you health? If so, please sit down." Almost everyone else sits down at that point. In audiences of nearly 150 people, it turns out that only one or two people actually eat whatever they want, whenever they want, in whatever quantities they want.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 45.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #37  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

It's a stressful week coming up and I'm hoping that my food choices will be good ones. Today is brunch with mom. I'm wishing it wasn't but planning ahead always helps. We start painting grandma's exterior tomorrow which has propensity for "emotional dynamite". It puts mom, DH and I in the middle of a very sore subject. I'm using my Beck strategies for the project. I'm thinking that by planning our "menu" a day ahead that it will be much easier to follow. DH and I walked up today and formulated our plan for tomorrow. We'll make sure we have all the ingredients we need today so we can stay OP tomorrow. NO CHOICE.lol

That said, yesterday was a very hard day. Too much emotional stuff and too many unknowns. I didn't resort to eating donuts (I made a WW gingerbread cake instead) *credit* but 2 meals out with mom stressed the food plan. *credit* for ordering oatmeal at breakfast, riding my bike to the FREE BBQ armed with my own plate and utensils(no plastic trash), asking for a 1/2 serving of pulled pork-no bun , picking one cookie and choosing water instead of soda.

gardenerjoy, congratulations on persisting to your goal weight! You are such an inspiration to me and your insights on BDS are so valuable. I look forward to "goal" but am celebrating at 190 every day, as well.

BillBlueEyes, *credit* for OP eating and for taking steps to make sure your camping experience is enjoyable. BTW-I love not having to wear that winter coat, too.

onebyone, I hope you are enjoying your visit to Ottawa!

Silverbirch, your advice for dishes applies in many other areas. I am using your 15 minute technique on a project upstairs. I spent 5 minutes putting a few more things away in an upstairs room which got totally "gutted" on Friday morning. I will do some more tomorrow morning.

CeeJay, I have missed you this week and was glad to see you. Glad you hear you planned ahead for a healthy weekend after some stressful times.

pamatga, Great news on your blood glucose! *CREDIT**CREDIT* *CREDIT* THKS for the reference to the Pink book! I have marked the pages. I LOVED your technique of keeping one eye closed when getting up in the middle of the night! I will try! I never thought I'd lean vegetarian but am sure happy now that I'm in that space.

Susan(wife2abadge), yay for reading even when you've been so busy! Yay for spontaneous exercise, too!

I do have a NSV to share! Many of you know I love riding my bike. I've logged 300 miles since Nov. 2009 when I got my new bike. When I started in 2006 I could barely ride around the block. I've watched with envy at those who could stand up and pedal....I have kept trying and just couldn't....well last week I tried again and IT WORKED. Like BBE with heavier weights, I just keep trying. I'm not sure what has changed but it feels good. I can't do it for more than a block but some new muscles have sure been used! *credit* for persistance.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #38  

Good Morning Everyone,
Sorry I have been away for a few days. Have alot of posts to read and catch up on. I have been sorting through my thoughts on this weight loss journey. Reading my Beck Diet book too.

I have told myself I need to come to a decision today whether I should choose a second choice for a diet or stay with the BLC I have been doing for a long time. It is not that I don't think BLC would work for me but I am giving some serious thought to a little change.

I know Best Life has a diabetic diet and they are having a special right now or maybe learning the Weight Watcher's new point system. Been hearing alot about that new diet. The thing is whatever I choose it is all about doing the workouts and following the diet carefully. Time to stop dwelling on the week that didn't bring a big loss. There are reasons for that but not quite sure what they were at the moment. I just need to move on.

Been weighing myself again and the scale is ever moving. Was going upwards and then suddenly has dropped a couple pounds. Strange. My calories were higher too. I was in rebellion mode a bit. I have decided that I am going to do a vegetarian meal twice a week. I don't eat alot of meat anyways. Good to explore some different things.

Well, I will be back later in the day. I am working on my new raised garden. I planted all my pepper plants last night and am off to try to finish planting everything today. I am hoping the 10,000 bugs that were flying around my head are still sleeping. We'll see. Have a great day everyone.

GardeningDeb
Old 06-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Default Checking in.

Hello coaches and comrades! I'm going to jump right back into the mix without trying to "get caught up", etc. I've been out of touch for a while, sticking to the basics of food planning, portioning, and exercise. As I've mentioned before, I have so many different Very Important Projects happening right now, and I can't give the same intense attention to them all at the same time. ::sigh:: So, in preparing for an intense week of dissertation writing, I'm spending today nesting, cooking, cleaning, and touching base with the Beck skills.

I spent this morning reading about plateaus and contemplating the rate at which I've been losing weight. I've decided that my 3-month hover around 170-175 weight range is the result of several things: 1) not being as militant about counting calories and portioning food, 2) intense work-outs 3-4 times a week, rather than 5-6 (which was how I was exercising when I began this journey), 3) shifting my work-out to more strength training (which the green book tells me might result in a weight stall in the beginning).

To combat the feelings generated around this plateau, I've done several things (most of them ideas from the green Beck book):

1) pulled my big-size jeans out of the pile of discarded clothes, to keep and try on when I feel down

2) set the goal of working out at least five days+ a week, continuing with the strength training and varying my work out

3) today, and maybe for the rest of the week, I'm going to be rigorous about measuring my food and writing down ALL calories so I can get as accurate a sense as possible of my intake (especially those extra calories that I've been reluctant to let go of and yet add up fast)

4) if time: graph my weight loss since beginning this journey, so that I can SEE the gradual decrease even in the face of plateaus and stalls, etc. Visuals work really well for me.

Sending much positive energy to all of you, and hellos to the new folks.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #40  
Green Tomatoes

Thanks, everyone, for the kudos and congratulations. It does feel good that I set a goal and met it.

Day 42. Practice, Practice, Practice
Hey! I finally made it all the way through the pink book. The green book was what I started with, but it's taken several tries to get through the pink book. The persistence is worth it: there's some really helpful material in the last 17 days.

MaryContrary: glad to see you here and still writing as well as still working on the Beck skills.

GardeningDeb: I used four different diets as I went along. Learning a new plan kept me amused so that I stuck with the process as a whole even though I changed the details.

Lexxiss: Love your NSV of a new biking technique. Hugs for the upcoming stressful week and kudos for identifying the problems and dealing with them as much as possible ahead of time.

BillBlueEyes: I like the couch with a sell-by date. Maybe all of our posessions should come with a plan for getting rid of them.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:07 AM   #41  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A crowded day, not so good an eating day because of five events with food. Don't think I've ever faced so many different eating situations in one day. I was restrained over all, but not so much in a couple of places. Ouch.

Walked a bit to do some chores, CREDIT moi. The sun was out for a nifty day to be out doors.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - I agree, there's good stuff at the end of the pink book. Love your notion that all our stuff should have discard-by dates - just like food does.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - That bicycling NSV is super; Kudos for the perseverance. Sending supportive thoughts as you face "emotional dynamite."

MaryContrary - Can't do better than "sticking to the basics of food planning, portioning, and exercise." Super strategy of getting a boost from your old big-size jeans.

GardeningDeb - Yep, focusing on the weeks in front of you is the way to go. So great to have all your peppers planted so you can already relish the thought of the harvest.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 10
Make Response Cards

Below are three sabotaging thoughts that most dieters have. I would like you to create the corresponding Response Cards so that you will have them on hand once you start Phase I.

sabotaging thought:

In reality, most people restrict their eating to some degree. I continually restrict my eating because I prefer being thinner. I follow the eating program in this book. I usually skip hors d'oeuvres and dessert. I purposely select foods that are low in calories and high in nutrition. At most, I allow myself one treat a day. I do all this, even though I would rather eat chocolate all day.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 46.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #42  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

Dday here! Let the painting begin! Food was OP yesterday...brunch enjoyed with restraint. Exercise didn't pop into the picture but I'll make up for it today. *credit* for persisting in menu planning and a week of meals posted on the fridge.

BillBlueEyes, *credit* for remaining restrained over all at your numerous food events. Yep, I notice even my poor eating days are so improved from the "old days".

GardeningDeb, I had never had a second plan, but chose calorie counting. It has been a very helpful tool as I now often combine the two. South Beach Diet says that a dieter doesn't need to track. I've learned through BDS that tracking really helps. Yay for reading your book and sorting through your thoughts regarding weight loss.

MaryContrary, nice to see you! What a transformation in thought processes as you keep the big jeans as a reminder of how far you've come. It used to be that we seemed to keep them just in case we regained our weight. *credit* for making your food and exercise a priority as you face a busy time in your life.

gardenerjoy, I just think it's so cool that you reached your goal weight as you persisted through each and every day in the Pink book.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #43  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

GM/GD Beck coaches/friends:

Yesterday was my DH's birthday. We have a "tradition" of expanding celebrating birthdays the whole weekend. That includes favorite programs or movies, favorite activities, favorite meals and/or restaurants, etc. He wanted to watch "It's A Wonderful Life"; one of his favorite movies. Yes, it was 97 degrees outside! In lieu of a cake, he wanted his "usual" 6 pack of Kit Kat bars. Anyway, seeing all the heavy snowfall in the movie was nice. That is such a pretty noctural scene up North. We've come close this past January.

On Saturday, we visited our garden. OMG! The sweet potatoes have 18" vines that grew within 4 days of super hot weather. So, now we are off to Lowe's to find some fencing to let those vines crawl up rather than out. We did some temporary restaking until we find the kind of fencing I know I want. Everything has literally tripled in size in less than a week. We'll return today and get that put in place. The tomato plants have that "tomato is on its way" smell.

As I am going through these diabetic cookbooks, I jot down the "pantry stock items" I will need so I can really "let loose" and cook/bake up a storm. So, I thought I was going to get them all in one grocery trip BUT what stopped me was my right knee and hip were hurting so bad that I was literally dragging it half way through the store. I aborted my "mission" and told DH I needed to sit down quick and do the rest "later". I began doing the "treat yourself" therapies that this author recommends for pain free knees on Saturday. The pain went away within 15-20 minutes but it really startled me. It seemed to come on so suddently. THEN, this morning I did my second round (some of the exercises I can only do every other day) and now my knees hurt again. I am not sure what to make of this. I'm not stopping but I hope this is just temporary.

Drum roll, friends! Three nights in a row of 7-8 hours sleep.

Did my weights and above exercises right after breakfast this a.m. I'm psyched to get hopping on today's "errands".

Surprisingly, my food plan is continuing to evolve into less meat into some of the soy products that are out there on the market. I have tried many of them in the past especially when my DS comes to visit since he has been a vegetarian for 18 years but now they just seem to taste right for me. I just going to let my body direct me in this since it seems to be seeking out a healthier path all the time. More and more the old way of eating isn't as appealing to my appetite. As God is my witness but, hey, who knew??

Major, major gardenerjoy, on reaching your goal weight. I'm envious but "in a good way!" We all know here just how much that means to you because we know how much it would mean to us.

Well, marycontrary, I don't think I could view bigger jeans in such a positive light but if it works for you, go for it! After all, this is about getting into the "zone" mentally so if you can slew your weight issue dragons by making it a house pet, you got my vote! As I have been moving down the scale, either in size or pounds, my "big stuff" has been going to Goodwill. Recently, I bought some new work out clothes. I want to look pretty when I am sweating!

Green book is on its way this week, says the book vendor, and now I am wondering when I'll get the heart rate monitor. Plan is falling into place.

Gardeningdeb my food plan is Biggest Loser. I use their food log and I do check their suggested meal plans. Again, after 16 years with OA, it is hard for me to snack so much. I am used to eating my meal and then be done with eating for the next one. However, science has proven eating more frequent and smaller meals revs up your metabolism and keeps your blood sugar level. (sigh) Hard to change horses in mid-stream.

I didn't know they had a separate book out that goes more into detail how to work that. I might hunt that out on Amazon.com. They call it 4-3-2-1 in the Fitness book. fruits n vegetables on the bottom of the pyramid, grains next, meats next and then fats on top. I just do not know how those heavy people on the show can work out as hard as they do with such little food. Now, that is where I probably need to work on next as a sabotaging thought: feeling that since I am working out so hard, I need to eat to match it. Anyone else had that thought?

Well, off to do my errands, spontaneous movement! Take care.

Last edited by pamatga; 06-06-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello my Beck friends:

Starting to get back in the swing of things:

Credits for today:

took lunch to work
ate healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner and snacks
checked in with my coaches
planned tomorrow and made a lunch
did my resistance band exercises for arms and shoulders

Have a good day tomorrow!!!

Old 06-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #45  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Only OK with food - good enough for an occasional day. I am restricting what I eat, just need to get my act together to restrict it a tad more.

Gym, CREDIT moi, was my standard gym. I had made my right arm sore over the weekend and was worried that I wouldn't be able to lift. Thankfully, it was a different muscle, so life went on.

CeeJay - Yay for a good day with Kudos for tomorrow's plan in place with lunch made.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - There's no greater bang for the buck than that first coat of exterior paint on a house that needs it.

pamatga - Love the thought of watching "It's A Wonderful Life" when it's stinking hot outside. Yep, I've had the thought that I deserved more food because I'd done some exercise. It's a sneaky pitfall to do 300 calories of exercise followed by a 500 calorie recovery snack.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

task 10
Make Response Cards

sabotaging thought:

If you compare yourself with people who eat more than you do, you will feel continually resentful and deprived. You will experience a sense of unfairness that will sap your motivation. Instead, you need to compare yourself with people who are successfully dieting and maintaining. You can be sure they are restricting their eating, too.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 46.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-08-2011 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Typo
Closed Thread