Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #76  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Mom and I traveled West yesterday to our other home. I had a workshop to attend and thought it would be a good idea to check on our self watering garden. My planned food for the day wasn't feasible and the end result was a mixed bag of choices; most very good *credit* and a less than desired snackfest sitting in my quiet house as I felt overwhelmed by the things that need doing here and the lack of time to do them. We go back later this morning.

BillBlueEyes, I could use some memory pills, too....perhaps ones to remind me, "food doesn't fix_____________." I was glad to hear you enjoyed a nice walk in some cool weather.

onebyone, yay for address your feelings about the community garden and getting such an encouraging response.

It's darker on the West side of the Continental Divide. I'm going to use this dark time to plan my menus for the week. Then I'll go out and do what I can do before we leave this morning. It's all I can do.

ETA-I persisted and found my Green book over here! Under the bed on DH's side....I don't think he was reading it.lol I am glad that mystery is solved.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 06-13-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #77  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

We ended up at a tapas restaurant for lunch -- sharing two small plates of veggies and one small plate of tuna made a light lunch that fit easily in my plan, yay! Saw some beautiful gardens, too.

WI:+0.25 kgs, Exercise: +30 380/1300 minutes for June, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: I second BillBlueEyes observation that it is not at all unusual to go broke in the transition to a new place and/or new job. The only time in my life that I've ever borrowed money from friends was in those situations.

BillBlueEyes: I had to finally make an Evening Routine list that I do at bedtime. The first item is: Look at the calendar!

Lexxiss: congrats on finding the green book! And on making mostly very good choices in your Plan B.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Default Muscle Monday.

Muscle because I managed to unclog the vaccuum cleaner *before* my coffee! Muscle because I am going to be exercising my resistance one!

Muscle because I am going to power through emotions and get some serious work done on my dissertation this week. My objective is to complete this chapter before I go out of town at the beginning of July. I WILL do it!

Muscle because that's a more positive word than "manic," which is how I felt all weekend. This is another objective for the week: think in more positive terms (literally, language, because I am such a wordsmith).

Final weekly goal: break projects into more manageable chunks.

Objectives for the week:

* Dissertation: 3 pages / day, M-F; revamp diss objectives
* Mind: change words into more positive ones
* Eating: continue calorie counting and portioning
* Exercise: 5-6 days
* House: acccomplish one small objective a day (beyond normal house duties)

Credits:

* Four intense workouts last week
* Portion control even when indulging
* Weighing in
* Coming here

Thanks to all for being here, and for your support.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning Coaches:
SF was a blast. Credit for being one of the only two woman bouncing in the house of Air and playing Air Dodge ball. It was really a kick. Lunch at touristy Rainforest cafe and an afternoon at the Exploratorium and I was beat. Although not strictly OP credit for eating so my blood sugar kept stable (lots of protein with a few snacks). My big focus this week is, despite lots of traveling, REALLY staying OP. This will be tough because I always eat better at home. I know I have the skills, though, to do it. I think of my advantage card "It is better to stay OP during travel or it will taint the whole experience." This afternoon Truckee. End of the week - Half Moon Bay camping near SF and then off to Vermont mid week. Sometimes I feel like I live like a Kennedy! I am bring my scale with me everywhere. I will weigh everyday. I have an exercise plan and will write down my meals.
Lexxiss: Credit for helping your neighbor. I always find service work helps me more than anyone else.
BBE: Hate the Big Box Stores. I long for mom and pop stores to come back and with them counter help that actually KNOWS something.
gardenerjoy: I am starting to plan my writing strategy as well. It feels daunting but, as you said, I have learned discipline with eating. I can learn discipline elsewhere as well.
onebyone: creative solution with the potatoes.

Last edited by maryann; 06-13-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:49 PM   #80  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post 2 potlucks in 2 nights

Hi Coaches

Went to the potters guild potluck and annual meeting tonight. The food was not very tempting *ahem* so I ate reasonably. *credit. They did mention a potluck one year that brought 24 desserts and one potato salad. Thankfully that was not this year--though I am sure it would have been much tastier (meow!)

ANYWAY... the meeting was weird. the minutes from last years annual meeting were read (?) and 5 directors were nominated and voted in and the 5 people have not decided what they are heading yet. Another (?) for that one. And not one of them wanted to be President. 3 of the 5 said "I'm not going to be president. Don't make me president."

What I left with was "oh it's the same old same old--you got the hobbyists and the serious artist types who are dedicated." And the power-trippers. We were to volunteer for something which was on the back of this sheet and I was looking for marketing or promotion and there was no place on the sheet for that. None. So they asked the current President who said "we've never had that before." Hello? Explains a lot.
So I may have made my own job.

Anyway weird meeting. Glad I am only there to use their under-used studio facilities. I broke my cat btw. Broke the feet, all four, the tail and a big crescent shaped chunk out of the head. I took a sponge and smoothed down the sharp edges and put it in to be fired anyway. It'll be a mixed media piece. I can replace those bits with something else after it's fired. It'll probably be better. I also had another piece crack; my fault completely and I broke my bird to bits the other day. So I am 50/50 for making things. I'm rusty.

That's it. Time for bed. G'night coaches.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-13-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #81  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Busy and tense day with contractors - as appropriate. I didn't kill the plumber, CREDIT moi. Used a Groupon for dinner at a sports bar. What was I thinking? I bought them because the web site listed entree's such as wild Alaskan salmon over salad. To get the food order up to the value of the Groupon we had to order more than entree's. So, ordered eggplant french fries that came with a killer good salsa. Not only was there a lot of batter on each one, there was a HUGE stack of them. Did I mention this was a sports bar? Every portion was HUGE. Or bigger. DW ate half of her lasagna and we'll split the other half for a dinner. Have I mentioned HUGE? Think I'll thy to use the other two that I have with another couple. I had forgotten about portion sizes at sports bars.

onebyone - That's kinda nice to attend a potluck where the food is "not very tempting." Ouch for your fragile cat with Kudos for already thinking of how to make a mixed media piece out of it.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for an on-plan restaurant experience. [Yep, I gotta add "Look at the calendar!" to my routine somewhere.]

Debbie (Lexxiss) - LOL that your DH is a stealth reader of Beck's green book.

MaryContrary - Neat to choose the do-able: "accomplish one small objective a day (beyond normal house duties)." Yay for using your wordsmith skills to help boost the positive attitude.

maryann - The San Francisco Exploratorium is on my Bucket List - even if I don't have an age-appropriate kid with me, LOL. Great reminder for me, "It is better to stay OP during travel or it will taint the whole experience."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1
The Success Skills Plan

You will learn how to:
Skill 1: Motivate yourself daily (page 52).
Skill 2: Weight yourself daily (page 56).
Skill 3: Eat slowly, while sitting down, and enjoying every bite (page 61).
Skill 4: Give yourself credit (page 66).
Skill 5: Get moving (page 69).
Skill 6: Overcome hunger, craving, and emotional eating (page 72).
Skill 7: Plan and monitor your eating (page 89).
Skill 8: Follow your plan, no matter what (page 95).
Skill 9: Get back on track - right away (page 102).

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 50.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:57 AM   #82  
persist

Thumbs up Tuesday Morning

Hi Coaches

Today's the day I plan my food for the week. We can finally go shopping tomorrow. I want to be ready so I don't go crazy and buy junk junk junk. I need a plan for my shopping.

I'm not sure what I am doing today. I feel like I should paint these paintings that I started and get them done. I could also use to open and put away a few more boxes. When you look into our place through the living room window it looks like a disaster. I think Im going to try to straighten up that "view" if I can. We need a major piece of cabinetry or something along this one section to make it function well and look right. Ah well. In good time eh coaches?

This list
Quote:
Skill 1: Motivate yourself daily (page 52).
Skill 2: Weight yourself daily (page 56).
Skill 3: Eat slowly, while sitting down, and enjoying every bite (page 61).
Skill 4: Give yourself credit (page 66).
Skill 5: Get moving (page 69).
Skill 6: Overcome hunger, craving, and emotional eating (page 72).
Skill 7: Plan and monitor your eating (page 89).
Skill 8: Follow your plan, no matter what (page 95).
Skill 9: Get back on track - right away (page 102).
is fantastic. Talk about perfectly condensed plan of action. Thanks BBE for choosing it for today's quote.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #83  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi Coaches!

I've been up since the wee hours getting things done so we could resume painting. The hitch; DH sprained his ankle and is not moving. I decided I'd better go anyway since we were planning on leaving here Sunday morning for a 2 week reprieve. Outside this AM tackling my least desired yard project I kept repeating, "Food does not fix overwhelmed." I took a short nap and awoke ready to roll and low and behold, it's raining. I am delighted! I will walk up anyway and see if I can do something then I'll focus on indoor projects today.
Yesterday food, OP, exercise planned and completed. Meals planned for today, exercise may be my recumbent bike.

BillBlueEyes, hmm….eggplant fries do not sound appealing, even with a killer salsa. Remind me not to hit the sports bars when I come to Boston.(Seriously, their menus are quite challenging) Instead, I'd like to visit your Indian restaurant. *credit* for not "killing the plumber"….and thanks for the great Skills List today.

onebyone, *credit* for planning your food today so you don't buy junk with those precious food $$.

maryann, loved the visual of you in the house of Air! *credit* for planning your food around stable blood sugar, even if a bit off plan. Great advantage card regarding traveling!

MaryContrary, I love how you organized your objectives for the week and for the use of the word muscle, as you power through your emotions and get some serious work done!

gardenerjoy, yay for a light lunch which fit easily into your plan AND beautiful gardens!

ETA-I knew the rain was too good to be true. I've got 70 minutes of scraping done already and I'm going to paint the little outhouse today. *credit* for picking something manageable and "just doing it".

Last edited by Lexxiss; 06-14-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #84  
Green Tomatoes

Busy day today. I'm planning two snacks instead of lunch because it looks like it's going to work better that way.

WI: +0.15kgs, Exercise: +50 430/1300 minutes for June, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 06-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #85  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

If you noticed, I have been posting every other day. I decided a short while ago that I needed to get away from the computer and "enrich my life" (Day 40) so I am working on my "to do" list with a vengeance so, until further notice, that is what I will be doing. However, I am reading all of your posts so I am current with what is happening on your end.

Last time I checked in, I was off to the garden. We get periodic e-mails from the Master Gardener, Daniel, who fills us in on safe ways to deal with insects of the "bad kind". Latest is to spread banana peels around the plants so aphids scram. I guess, they don't particularly like the color yellow. Added benefit, the peels decompose and add nutrients to the soil. Green tomatoes on vines, fence is up, sweet potatoe vines are tied up (gently) to the fencing, and flowers on cantalopes and strawberry plants. I am in awe of how all this happens!

Credit:
**Good sleep continuing. I am making an concerted effort to be in bed by 10 p.m. I can record anything after that time so I can watch it "at any time".
** Continuing with TYOK exercises and stretches.
** Thanks for the cookbook tips. I went directly to Amazon.com.

I am waiting for "Appetite for Reduction" by Moshowitz. Did you know that she is quite a prolific vegan cookbook author? Titles like "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World" and "Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar" are on my "to-get-next" list. I am intrigued. I once saw a cooking show where the baker made a vegan chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. A "self-professed meat eater" proclaimed it "delic" so I am open to the experience.

Green Beck Diet book arrived about a week ago. I leafed through it briefly. It is also on my "summer reading" list. From what I saw, I think I like the pink book more but again, I briefly leafed through it.

In the past few days, I have decided that I am going to pursue joining a lay contemplative religious order dedicated to a life of prayer, Third Order of Lay Carmelites, which is what my DH has been a professed member for the past ten years. He gave me some formation books to read, including the lives of some Saints associated with the Carmelites; St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross; doctors of the Catholic Church.

onebyone great idea with the cat sculpture, that's what I would have done faced with the same choice with food in the house, in fact, I do it all the time. Make "lemonade out of lemons".

marycontrary did you tell us before what your disseration is on? Is this towards a PhD? Breaking anything down into smaller bites is the only way I can get anything done.

BBE
I too have to show patience with clerks who are "space placers" in stores. Granted, they aren't making much $$ but, gosh, it sure would help if they knew a tad bit more than those of us walking off the streets.

maryann your trip sounds super!! Any memorable tips for those of us who may end up there "someday"?

gardenerjoy great combo of nature and delicious meals. A Ying/Yang I can get behind. I love to position myself where I have "a view" while eating. I feel it is an oft-overlooked part of dining.

Last edited by pamatga; 06-14-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:32 AM   #86  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It was a better eating day and I got to the gym, CREDIT's moi. It's frustrating, but we're off to a good start. Advice of the day: Never turn your back on a plumber; it'll be permanently soldered into the place most convenient for installation.

maryblu - Waving. As an unbiased observer (cough, cough), can you explain the finality of a retirement that includes the statement, "But I can still throw the ball as well as I ever have."

onebyone - Yay for food shopping day. If you look in my living room window, you'll see a new toilet casually sitting there outside of its box! I know disaster, LOL. Are you keeping all of the stuff you unpack?

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for choosing two snacks instead of lunch rather than in addition to lunch.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Now painting an outhouse sounds fun. Kudos for picking a manageable task.

pamatga - Savoring your awe at the flowers on the strawberry plants; this Spring stuff is magic. Congrats on making your decision on the Carmelites - a major life step.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
Stage 1
The Success Skills Plan
Here are the guidelines for acquiring these skills:
  • Learn and practice these skills at a rate that feels comfortable t you. Don't go too quickly! Dieters progress at different speeds. For example, eating everything sitting down is quite easy for people who already have this habit. Others may need to spend days (or longer) mastering this skill. Most dieters need to practice coping with hunger, cravings, and emotional eating many times before they get really good at managing them. But remember: No matter what the skill is, the more you practice it, the easier it gets!
    . . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 51.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:57 AM   #87  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi Coaches!

I finished my portion of the project solo, had a healthy OP lunch, rode my bike to my puzzle at the library….then came home and started some emotional eating. I stopped *credit* and decided to go to bed early and continue my projects in the morning when I was feeling better. Exercise was the 70 minutes of scraping and I felt good that I attacked it on my own.

BillBlueEyes, yay for a better eating day AND getting to the gym. I'm remembering daily that there is another person trying to juggle a monstrous project AND work AND eat healthy AND exercise.

gardenerjoy, thanks for a great idea! The thought of 2 snacks instead of lunch hadn't crossed my mind.

Pam(pamatga), I had noticed you weren't here everyday but hadn't figured out the new pattern. *credit* for managing your time so you can proceed on enriching your life, while still being an active participant here. Your decision to become a member of the Carmelites is a major life step. BTW- I'm so intrigued by your garden. I would love to grow sweet potatoes...they don't thrive here.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #88  
Green Tomatoes

So, I seem to have found my way to writing more consistently, meanwhile I lost the path to consistent exercise. Sigh.

The day looked strange yesterday, but two snacks (one late morning and one early afternoon) instead of lunch worked great on a day that I had lunch-time commitments with no actual food involved.

WI: -0.4kgs, Exercise: +0 430/1300 minutes for June, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 06-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #89  
persist

Wink Wednesday. Yay.

Hello Coaches

I'm still working on my foodplan and my grocery list. I think I am too uptight about things right now and when that happens I want to make sure I do everything right aka perfectly.

It's never gonna be that way.

So I'm going to take another half hour or so and be done with it.

Today I stayed home and DH has the car. I worked on a bunch of paintings earmarked for the farmers markets. I'm going to try to finish a few of them before DH gets home. I need to see some progress on that front.

This morning, because DH got paid (), I got cleaning stuff to tackle the freezer which has mould in it. *sigh* I've peeked at it twice since we moved. Maybe it's a forest of mould now. I sure hope not.
If I can start that icky job that will be great.

credits: Foodwise I've begun my new foodplan. I'm going low carb / heavy veggie. I have some great recipes to try and I am close to having my 7 day foodplan completed. I've decided to deal with our overnight at MIL's place on Friday by, wait for it.... being prepared in advance. I'm bringing my own food just to be sure I give myself every chance to be OP.

I weighed in this morning at 287, up 1.8lbs. credit to me for weighing in.

gardenerjoy Kudos for writing consistently and for dealing with a strange lunch. I am not in my groove yet re:making things. I seem to get going and then just stop. I can't get into gear. I know I need to be patient. I know it's all part of adjusting to our move. I am sure you'll find your way back to the consistent exercise as I will with the artwork. Thanks for checking in.

Lexxiss Kudos for tackling a monster project on your own. That's how I feel about the freezer right now and that is nowhere near the scale of your project. I am heartened to read that you do succumb to emotional eating and that you stop.it.right.there. I find this to be very "real life" and you're a great "real life example" of how you stay on track inspite of being stressed. I keep thinking about your description of it being "...darker on the West side of the Continental Divide." (You wrote that on June 13) This has completely captivated me. Thanks.

BillBlueEyes One of the best pictures I never took was the day the townhouse complex I lived in was replacing the toilets. There were rows and rows of them outside on the front lawns. Toilets out of place are curious things indeed. Oddly enough, I've never seen them in, or near, a box. And no, I am not keeping everything I packed that's for sure. But I'm not getting "to it" fast enough for my liking. I think DH and I will have our own garage sale at the end of the summer to take care of those things that we really don't need or want.

pamatga I'm really happy to read you're still getting good sleep. It's such an essential building block for a good day. I was interested to read about your garden. We have a master gardener at the community garden I just joined too. It's quite a complicated gardening system they go by. They use the principles of biodynamic farming/gardening and what happens in the garden is dictated by the phases of the moon and the astrological aspects. I'm open to this and curious to witness it in the garden. The garden is really a small urban farm at 1.5 acres. There is horseradish in the garden and wheat! Wheat?! Super impressive to me. I was going to go to a planting today but my asthma was triggered a day ago and I had a weird night feeling like a cold was coming on so I am taking it easy today. Lots of gardening and lots of gardeners in that garden. Gardens are really great places for me to find some peace. Thanks for all your detailed posts btw.

Off I go. Bye for now Coaches. Hello Lurkers! Hope you are enjoying your day as well.

update:
was OP today. Stayed within my foodplan limits. *credit.
Also recorded all my food in fitday.com to make sure I was OP *credit.
went shopping resisted what wasn't on my list *credit.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-15-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #90  

Hi Everyone,
Been having a little bit of computer problems posting things so will try the Quick Reply section. My computer seems to be running better today. My son worked on the updates so maybe that was part of the problem.

Credit for: Taking two walks today, it rained both times so I had to turn back but got in 35 mins. anyways.

Working on my meals, trying to add alot of color.

Sitting down when eating. I am way slow with the steps but realize this is a big one for me. Years of having little ones and I have never quit eating while walking around. Ouch.

OnebyOne, Great job entering all your foods today, staying with foodplan limits and sticking to your grocery list. I need to clean my freezer soon. I look at it every time I open the door and see a little build up of ice. I keep closing the door. Need to cook a big turkey and get it out of there but the warmer weather is not so kind in the oven is on for a long time.

Pamatga,
You are doing amazing on your program. Glad your garden is doing so well. I am marveling at all the seeds that are popping through the ground.
We've been having alot of rain but the sun was blood red/orange tonight. Wish I had my camera with me. Was a beautiful sight to see with pink and blue clouds. Maybe tomorrow will be sunny here?

Lexxiss,
Amazing restraint stopping the emotional eating. Maybe I will try taking a nap when I am craving something.

Well will try to post this and see what happens. Hopefully it won't dump again.

GardeningDeb
Closed Thread