Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 05:59 AM   #256  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Feels like summer around here - so nice. It was a day of chores, including, of course, packing boxes of stuff - CREDIT moi for doing what's needed. We drove 11 boxes over to the temporary storage unit.

Saw my DW's dish of nuts for her snack after I had eaten my own afternoon snack. Immediately realized that I wanted a handful. Because that would lead to another handful. And then another. So it seemed to be a good idea to just pull out the old NO CHOICE and go about my business; CREDIT moi, CREDIT moi, CREDIT moi. (One for each handful I'd have had, LOL.)

onebyone - Ouch for stress, and Double Ouch for finding food as the antidote. Would seem like you might need to PLAN a daily time for creating something to let all that wild energy out to help keep the stress at bay. My guess is that filling out forms is just not your thing - sure to induce stress. Producing stuff is a good stress relief.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for weight lifting your old dog - and no gym membership required, LOL. Kudos for leaving the half gallon of ice cream for your DH.

ChefJoona - Yay for healthy choices at a celebration - a place where Sabotaging Thoughts can kick in big time, like, I deserve this.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 10
Make Response Cards

Below are three sabotaging thoughts that most dieters have. I would like you to create the corresponding Response Cards so that you will have them on hand once you start Phase I.

sabotaging thought:

This is too much work; I don't feel like learning all of these
skills. I don't feel like following my eating plan.
Struggling over whether or not to make yourself practice the skills can be exhausting. You need to put the decision in the NO CHOICE category. Essentially you make the choice not to give yourself a choice. You decide to commit to the program wholeheartedly and to practice the skills whether or not you feel like doing them. You decide to follow your eating plan at every meal and as every snack, whether or not you feel like doing so.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 44.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #257  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Rainy Sunday morning! I am thinking about those I know who are running the Burlington Marathon this morning! It is such a feat to run such a race, and to be hindered by the rain must be a big disappointment.

Yesterday was a good eating day. I was out before dinner and had really strong urges to pick up a pizza or fast food or suggest we go out to dinner, but made the decision to come home and make the quinoa, roasted carrots and left over grilled chicken breast that was planned. I was happy I did so.

Activity was playing "ladder golf" with DFiance... lightly active outdoor lawn game.

Food today will be a bit up in the air. We are going to visit our wedding venue and will likely get lunch out in that area... dinner is the ribs at my parent's house.

onebyone good luck getting the residency application completed!
Lexxiss Credit for making a healthy switch for DH's desired treat!
BillBE Yes- Lots of credit for not indulging in the nuts!!!
Old 05-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #258  
Green Tomatoes

New York was fun! Thanks for all the good wishes and reminders to make this an adventure. They were very helpful when my travel plans on Wednesday fell apart and I had to put them back together. Somehow my anxiety drifted away when I had to deal with an actual problem. By the time I got to my hotel at 1:00 AM, eleven hours later than originally planned, I felt like a seasoned traveler! After that, the trip was easy and so much fun!

Travel seems to be good for my weight loss in my current mindset. I generally skip snacks and otherwise try to minimize calories while also walking a lot (about three hours yesterday -- including admiring the architecture between the Chrysler Building and Times Square with the New York Public Library and its lions in the middle). I lost nearly a pound in the last week for another new low.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #259  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post Looking forward

Hi Coaches

I am completely thwarted from seeing how much I weigh! Unbelievable. I wanted to weigh in on the wii fit but the controllers aren't cooperating. I can't get past the opening screen. Just one more click and it would weigh me--this after I hunted 4 batteries down to replace the old ones in the part you stand on. Maybe DH can fix it. Maybe we have to wait until payday. At least it's just 2 more days away.

It's suppposed to get hot and humid here today through Tuesday. They are forecasting a temperature on Tuesday that will feel like (humidex) 39C or 102F. Crazy. Last night was beautiful. It was the same temperature DH and I experienced one night in Jacksonville when we were driving home on our Florida trip. It's close to perfect that temperature.

So, plan, plan, plan.

I think right now I have to have plans for many things in my life, especially my food. I am all over the place without a plan and I have no idea how I am doing without a plan. I am seeing things half empty most of the time, so a plan assures me I am accomplishing things. Speaking of which at least 10 boxes were unpacked by me this weekend so far and DH must have unpacked 6. We're putting things away and I am trying not to let this place get out of hand. It's heading in that direction. So my plan for today is to complete my residency application and find my images to support the application and print it all out. Inbetween I have to do the dishes. The dishes are endless, but the kitchen is a disaster if the dishes are not done.

ChefJoonaCredit for sticking to your plan for dinner. Enjoy visiting your wedding venue--hope it fills you with excitement for your big day!

BillblueeyesCredit for sticking to your plan and for saying nuts to the nuts. Summer is descending on us bigtime too. Congratulations for moving 11 more boxes to your storage unit. How many rooms did you have to empty out? I found the whole packing thing very strange a real rollercoaster. I'd wake up one morning feeling like I had done so much, and then hours later feel completely defeated by how much was left to do. My experience, and those of others, is you are still packing right up to your deadline.

Lexxiss Credit for sticking to your plan too inspite of the stresses in your life. You're a good example of just doing it. I was touched by you carrying your old dog in and out three times. That's big time love...

gardenerjoy Credit for getting through the anxiety and having a great time in NYC! I can't wait for my first visit there too... did you learn alot at the bloggers convention??

Last edited by onebyone; 05-29-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #260  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Coaches,

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend. It's a quiet one at my house. I live in the prairie land, and just saw two young buck antelopes walking around in the fields. They looked so energetic and frisky !

One day at a time has been my theme lately, and it helps me see the positive steps I've been taking with diet and exercise. Today is all we have, right?

Thanks for being here !
Old 05-29-2011, 10:39 PM   #261  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Today included two food events with an hour in between. Success at both events required mindfulness and a clear commitment to healthy choices. I brought food to the first which allowed me healthy choices. The second event was a graduation party. When we arrived I surveyed the situation. I had very small tastes of several items and skipped the bratwurst in continued pursuit of a meat free lifestyle. Resistance was essential as the tables each had M&Ms and mixed nuts. I continuously resisted the urge to dip in and reminded myself how many I was capable of eating in 2 hours. Of course, I had a few...a very few. Ny personal success was resisting sugary desserts at both events, instead enjoying my sugar free cake and a few M&Ms.

BillBlueEyes, CREDIT, CREDIT, CREDIT for saying no to nuts.

ChefJoona, yay for a good eating day on Saturday. Quinoa, rasted carrots and grilled chicken sound so much better than pizza or fast food.

gardenerjoy, yay for a new low achieved while travelling!

onebyone, a plan assures me I am accomplishing things, too. credit for planning which has resulted in 10 boxes being unpacked.

Woodland, I love the antelope! Yes, today is all we have yet I must always remember that where I am today has a direct relationship to decisions made in past todays.

Funny side story; I continually resist donuts/pastries by reminding myself of all the transfats, etc. The other morning I was at the 7-11 down the block for a legitimate reason. The manager was stocking all the fresh pastries and I said no hurry...just finish what she was doing. Imagining all the generic pastries I asked her where they were made. She said that since we were too far away to get corporate product fresh that everything came from a gourmet Swiss bakery in Aspen. That was information I didn't need. Sometime I will try to plan for one when they are fresh but reminded myself that stale is still stale.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 05-29-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:43 AM   #262  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Memorial Day in the U.S.

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Ouch - I did so well at a wedding reception, carefully selecting only one skewer of kabob and mostly veggies for my meal. Then, having planned to have a small piece of the wedding cake - which I did - I added a plate of all the other desserts presented as I sat at a table of friendly folks all enjoying their dessert plates. Ouch, Ouch, Ouch.

But, I did get some stuff sorted and packed in one more corner of my life that's been ignored for a while. CREDIT moi for moving on.

onebyone - LOL at the thought that you're unpacking boxes just as I'm packing them. Seems like between us we're maintaining the balance of packed boxes in the universe. Yep, doing dishes is one of Beck's NO CHOICE chores.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for the seasoned traveler taking on New York City. That's one fine walking city.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Big OUCH for discovering gourmet pastries at your local 7-11 - that's just deadly. Kudos for staying the path through two food events - I need to be reminded that that's the way to do it.

Woodland - Love the thought of young buck antelope walking around in the fields. Thanks for the reminder, "Today is all we have."

ChefJoona - Kudos for standing down the urge to grab fast food. I love all roasted veggies, so your roasted carrots with quinoa sounds great.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 10
Make Response Cards

Below are three sabotaging thoughts that most dieters have. I would like you to create the corresponding Response Cards so that you will have them on hand once you start Phase I.

sabotaging thought:

You have already put lots of other tasks in a NO CHOICE category - at least, I hope you have. I hope you don't struggle over whether to brush your teeth, wear a seat belt, and stop at traffic lights. I hope it is irrelevant to you whether or not you feel like doing these things; you do them no matter what. Now, you have to add practicing your diet skills and following your eating plan to this category - if you want to be successful in losing excess weight permanently.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:12 AM   #263  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Good morning,

Yesterday was a lovely day... visiting our wedding venue and then checking out some rehearsal/ night before dinner places. Lunch was at a cute little taco place... I got two roasted squash and black bean soft corn tacos, with water to drink, so lunch went well.
After that was ribs at my parent's house. I did ok (three small ribs), though I did have some Ben and Jerry's for dessert. My stomach doesn't feel right this morning... I think too much fat on the ribs and in the ice cream. I am sipping some peppermint tea.
I went to the grocery store last night and stocked up on lots of summery fruits and veggies- including blueberries and watermelon! I also got some rhubarb from my parents- I am going to stew it down with some frozen berries and stevia or agave for sweetener and have it over plain greek yogurt- yum!

gardenerjoy your NYC trip sounds wonderful! You are fortunate trips help with your weightloss... not the same for me! I get so focused on trying local specialties etc that usually end up eating too much. Though, I have not traveled much since reading Beck, so perhaps things are different now!
onebyone sending you will power for planning and continuing to accomplish your goals!
Lexxiss Wonderful resistance at the celebrations!
woodland I love the image of the young antelopes! Yes, one day at a time is a helpful way to not get overwhelmed and stay on track.
BillBE Ouch for the wedding desserts! Credit for balancing it with good choices during the meal.

Today I have to get some paperwork that I brought home from work done to make this week easier when I go back to the office tomorrow after 4 days off, then I hope to enjoy some of the ample sunshine that has been promised!
Old 05-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #264  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Post Sunny Monday

Hello Coaches

I just put my name into the Kennedy Space Centre hat for tickets for the final shuttle launch. I doubt that we could go, but it'll be a while for them to make the draw and only then will I find out if I won the chance to get tickets to this final launch of any space shuttle ever.

I weighed in this morning *credit* on the wii fit. I got the thing working. Seems I was standing too close for it to calibrate. I weigh 284. Ok. fine.

My food plan today is three meals and one snack. I am doing some research later into a more detailed plan but I am better with even a loose plan than none at all.

I have finished my residency proposal and am now on to the cover letter.
It's way way way too long at this point. I'll be whittling it down next. I tried to print stuff out yesterday but I ran out of paper. I cannot get ahead. I wanted my submission package ready to be mailed tomorrow morning. I am hoping it is ready and printed tonight--if DH remembers to bring some paper home with him from the office that is. It should be a good application. I am asking for a 4-6 week residency. I need to get back to writing it... just wanted to check in.

ChefJoona I never thought to stew rhubarb. I like to crunch it the way it comes--all tangy and sour and raw! Bet it would be good that way. If you have a minute can you post the recipe for that?? Kudos for all the good choices you made yesterday with your food!

Billblueeyes credit for continuing to pack and to sort. I now have a pile of empty boxes I don't know what to do with!! I am hopeless. Not sure if I should a) recycle them = break them down and cut them up into 30cm x 30cm squares and then they need to be tied together with twine and set beside the blue box at the curb tomorrow night (city bylaw!!) b) keep them but break them down-or not. This is what's happening now and they are all over the apartment. c) break them down and list them as FREE MOVING BOXES AND PACKING PAPER on craigslist or kijiji. that's how I got almost all of them. Ouch for the dessert plate.

Lexxiss Credit for your mindfulness when around tempting foods/snacks. Good work there! I watched a documentary yesterday that had me in tears: Sharkwater. Oh boy. All about the decimation of the shark population for shark fins for shark fin soup. Everytime I face this kind of stuff I am reminded that I am a meat eater and there will come a day when I can no longer do that. I cannot get the poor sharks out of my mind. I resist buying fresh tuna because I think it is immoral to kill these giant fish even though they taste really really good. There are all sorts of things to decide when we really take a look at our food and food sources. Yes, even more kudos to you for being mindful Lexxiss.

Woodland One day at a time is a great way to structure a life and a plan. "I can do anything for just one day" has healed many a soul. Kudos for sticking to a plan for one day.

Happy Holiday Monday to those with the day off... Happy Monday to everyone else ... hi lurkers
Old 05-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #265  
in development

Hi onebyone!

Hi everyone!
Old 05-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #266  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Coaches,
Happy Memorial Day!
I spent a nice Sunday hanging out with DS and DH but food was uncomfortable. I felt stuck and wanted to binge. I picked myself sick. Credit for NOT doing a junk food run to the store for a LAST SUPPER last nite before I really started my diet again. Credit for having no junk food in the house to binge on. Credit for overeating on whole wheat bread, frozen bananas and chocolate syrup. Not great but scale this morning was only up a pound. I know I am anxious because of the last week of school and all that entails. I am focusing on what Pagmata and onebyone were talking about - three meals, one evening snack and life in between. Back to basics like Woodland says with stomach grumbling and uncomfortable feelings just sitting there with me NOT fixing them.
BBE: DH off to water the walnuts so your wife can have some in her dish - probaly not helping you though. Moving On sounds good to me as well.
Lexxiss:Congrats on two food events. My limit seems to be one.
gardenerjoy: Welcome back.
ChefJoona: It does not seem that long ago that I was looking at venues. But my 10th anniversary is this summer. GEEZ! ten years and one adorable boy later. Enjoy the exciting times

Last edited by maryann; 05-30-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #267  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Coaches,

"Just write it down". This mantra has made a huge difference in how I manage food in my life now. For me, it does away with dishonesty, delaying a diet until tomorrow, and any questions I might have about why I weigh what I do. It also gives me a feeling of power over my weight. I know what to do !!

Which skill is making a huge difference for you these days? lol - let's give credit to the skills

The antelope were wonderful to see. However, a few days prior I saw 3 coyotes in the same field. I never know what is trucking by the house.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #268  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Today was extremely busy and I had to make a switch in dinner plans when an afternoon meeting lasted almost 2 hours later than planned. I went to the store and took time to plan better choices with the exception of dessert.
~I looked at premade cornbread and instead committed to baking my own after reading the ingredients.
~I thought about frozen veggies and instead bought beautiful organic broccoli which I steamed and spashed with fresh lemon.
Dessert was a small marionberry pie(on sale) picked by DH. I enjoyed 1/16th of the pie and DH and my mom ate the rest. I encouraged them to finish it so I didn't have to deal with leftovers.
Exercise was yoga class in the water which was all that would fit in.

BillBlueEyes, I think it's one of the most difficult situations; where groups of people sit for hours socializing over food at events where it's not cool to just walk out. Credit for good dinner choices and thank goodness we don't go to weddings every day.

maryann, I think you did great-feeling your discomfort and choosing not to binge, instead overeating some otherwise decent foods. I think there is a difference. *credit* for using resistance.

silverbirch

onebyone, lots of credits today. I have lots of days with a loose plan and agree, it's better than not making a plan at all. Some days it works fine because I have a strong resistance muscle and other days one or two off the chart bites turn into a bigger problem. I do find my best and most reliable days are the written ones.

ChefJoona, yes, your Sunday sounded lovely! I hope your tummy feels better. Have you ever tried the sprouted corn tortillas that Ezekial(FoodforLife) makes? They are yum.

Woodland, I would say that planning ahead AND tracking my food is a super great combo for me. They are both helpful skills but together make my life very simple.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 05-30-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #269  

Hi Everyone,
Well I managed to stay off the scale for an entire week. I had such high hopes that this would help me to focus on other things rather than a number. I was more focused on other things but I was so disappointed. I gained a pound and I was pretty good I felt with my foods this week.

I have told myself I am not quitting but I did fall off the end of the earth this afternoon. That old mentality of I'm taking the day off which I know I shouldn't have given into but I pulled out of it in a few hours. Tomorrow I will work on continuing on maybe try a little something different this week. Not sure if I should leave the scale alone for an entire week or maybe I will institute a mid-week weigh in to see where I am heading.

ChefJoona,
Great job coming home and cooking something healthy.

Lexxiss,
Wondering what kind of berry is in marionberry pie? Good idea to have dh and
mom finish it off.

Pamatga,
Hope you are doing well.

Hope everyone had a nice holdiay today. It was quiet here and we spent some time splitting next year's wood supply. Burned off some of the calories I took in anyways. Be back in the morning.

GardeningDeb
Old 05-31-2011, 05:06 AM   #270  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - (But feels like Monday)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was an on plan day, CREDIT moi - a needed one after the wedding reception on Sunday. I saw that DW had left a single half of a cashew from her snack. So, I immediately thrilled at the thought that I'd just snarf that up. Then had the remarkable thought that I could, alternatively, say NO CHOICE and let it go since it wasn't about me. And so I did. I even googled and found that I'd only saved 3 calories by that decision, but it felt good to work my resistance muscle as if I knew that that mattered.

Exercise was gym, CREDIT moi, with my larger dumbbells. I'm curious whether I'll be able to press them on Wednesday since I wasn't able for the last two Wednesdays. More stuff cleared; more stuff to the curb, to the boxes for Good Will, to the trash, and to boxes for storage. Continuing to find ignored corners of our house feels like the final judgement where I'm reviewing the sins of my entire life. I let go three jackets that no longer fit. I find it difficult to let go of expensive outdoor wear. Oh Well.

onebyone - Yay for the residency proposal all done. Ouch for out of paper - makes me dread the unpacking phase when I'm looking for the small amenities of life. [I picked up a stack of boxes from someone's curb yesterday; maybe someone will take yours - it's the month for moving.]

silverbirch - Waving back. Love the thought, "WeLeaveOnTheMorningTide"

Debbie (Lexxiss) - I've never had a marionberry - after reading on wiki, I'm drooling. Kudos for getting your DH and mom to get it out of your future.

Woodland - Kudos for writing it down and keeping yourself accountable. Feeling jealous, I've never seen 3 coyotes at once.

maryann - Yep, Kudos for avoiding junk food to deal with the feelings before the last week of school. [My thanks to your DH for watering my future walnuts; I'm addicted to those guys, even when I count them out as part of my breakfast.]

ChefJoona - Kudos for an on-plan taco lunch; a roasted squash taco would be a new treat for me - gotta look for that.

GardeningDeb - Ouch for the (slightly) disappointing scale reading, with Kudos for sticking to your plan to avoid the scale for a week. It's a great achievement, "pulled out of it in a few hours" - Kudos for that as well.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

task 10
Make Response Cards

sabotaging thought:

Once you accept that you need to practice every skill each day, and follow your eating plan (every meal and every snack) each day, you end the struggle and you increase the odds exponentially that you will lose excess weight and keep it off forever. Make this card:

I'm choosing to say NO CHOICE. If I want to lose
weight, I have to do what I need to do, not what
I feel like doing.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-01-2011 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Typo
Closed Thread