Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches & Buddies.

Not sure if it is the cold weather or the gym, but my knees are screaming at me. Food has been ok so far today and I'm all planned for a healthy dinner.

BillBlueEyes, I'm sorry to hear about the rough day! Sunshine was great yesterday, wasn't it? We are gray and cold here today.

Pamatga, so glad to hear you finally slept well. Hope the trend continues tonight.

ChefJoona, I hope your day got brighter! Great job for an active date yesterday!

Eusebius, Great job on the 5% goal. I know what you mean though about not feeling excited about it. I always got stuck on how much further I had to go.

GardenerJoy, I really struggle with noticing fullness too. It is so hard for me to focus on food especially when I'm short on time.

Maryann, great job hanging in there after an off plan day yesterday.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #17  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

The stress level and family disfunction has been increasing since we returned. In my heart I know it's not me, but my mom has a very effective way of convincing me otherwise. I'm on a minute to minute with food right now. I just want to "eat this" away, yet know food won't make it disappear. I made a super healthy choice for lunch when faced with the options as I waited for mom at an appt., yet I ate 2 cookies as I browsed through a thrift store. I'm home now and am committed to a healthy dinner. I think I'll dash to the library for a book I can take upstairs tonight. I'm emotionally exhausted….remembering, this too shall pass.

BillBlueEyes, ouch for choc. covered almonds...I ran into some yesterday, too. Yay for many other good food decisions, especially since you had "forgotten" the event.

FutureFitChick, I'm glad you're back. Those semesters sure seem to pass quickly. Sorry your knees are hurting. Yay! for healthy dinners!

maryann, good for you making OP a top priority today. I'll join you in the process.

gardenerjoy, I think it's wise decreasing your exercise goal, even though you know you'll still be plenty active while travelling.

Erika(eusebius), great that you were able to persist in your Beck skills during your crazy week and show a 1.6 pound loss!

ChefJoona, yay for a change in plan yesterday which had a healthy outcome. I think chances are great that you will see your measurements change without much weight change with your workouts. Perhaps you could make yourself a card which would recognize your exercise achievement.

pamatga, I'm happy to hear that you were willing to make some changes in the sleeping arrangements so you could be more comfortable. I have some of my cards memorized….and you are right, our minds are very powerful.

ETA-no unplanned eating this afternoon, dinner in the oven and I brought home 7 or 8 books; vegetarian cooking, health oriented and two short novels. That should get me through the evening! *credit* for willingness to stick to my plan.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 05-02-2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: ETA
Old 05-03-2011, 05:17 AM   #18  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I nibbled throughout an evening where we sat at the table with food. Ouch. I've done this before. I'm working to make the change so that the food isn't sitting in front of us all evening, since every tiny emotion of the meeting finds my fingers on some food item - usually a healthy one, but a food item nevertheless. Ouch again.

Did my gym, CREDIT moi, despite being very squeezed in time. I remembered that when I skip a session, I fall backwards in what I'm able to do and it feels like forever to catch up again.

Erika (eusebius) - Congrats on making your WW 5% goal. Yay for "I'd rather be cranky than fat."

FutureFitChick - Ouch for screaming knees - hope they get back on the program. Kudos for planning a healthy dinner.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - I know this one, "I still suck at noticing when I feel full." - I think my full sensor is broken.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for "7 or 8 books; . . . That should get me through the evening! The library addiction is a healthy one - and we're not allowed to eat in our local library!

maryann - Kudos for the determination, "make an entire day. top Priority."

ChefJoona - Ouch for "grumpy" - but Yay for "lot of fruits and veggies."

pamatga - Yay for sleep. Yay for winning the blood sugar lottery. Interesting question: during my first year of following Beck, I could recite my ARC from memory - can't now. Think that means I'd better start reading it more often. Think I'll go post two more Advantages in chinakat's thread before I even post this.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 6
Make a Memory Box
As you progress through Stage I and beyond, be on the lookout for these positive experiences:

• When you get really good about mastering a skill (for example, once you make yourself eat everything sitting down for several days in a row)

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 38.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:44 AM   #19  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

I had two good hours of sleep. DH has agreed to sleep in another room so I can toss and turn freely. OY!

However, this is what I am going to do that is different from now. I have a new plan (thanks to some of the suggestions in the Beck Diet Solution book). I have decided that when I am up in the middle of the night, I am at a very low ebb mentally and physically, neither of which are condusive to great decision making so I am going to acknowledge that for now this is what it is and I have to deal with it in the best possible way.

So, I am going to allow myself a snack that is half of the calories of my breakfast. I am also going to make sure that includes a tall glass of water and a food that takes some time to eat; ie, grapes. I am going to avoid soft foods(mostly grains) because I have noticed that I can eat more calories of those and still not feel as satisifed. I also brought reading material into a room where I have a wing backed recliner so I can elevate the painful area and still feel relatively comfortable.

Since applying Beck principles to my food plan, I notice that I am a very intuitive eater. I may say I am going to plan to eat a bacon n egg breakfast muffin but when the time actually comes cold cereal and a banana sound more appealing so that is what I eat. This is still within her exercise on Day 15-Monitor your Eating since it shows a client making a plan and then crossing off what she did/didn't eat or what she added to her plan.

Again, expanding on this same theme for Day 16-Unplanned Eating, my schedule including meal time is very "last minute". I seem to be okay with this most of the time. It doesn't rattle me like I thought it might. So, I made up another rule: when I make a last minute change in meal plans (usually to go out to eat if we are out for something else and want to fit meal time in as well), I am going to automatically go directly to the salad section on any given menu and that is what I will order first. No Choice. If it isn't enough to eat and I leave feeling hungry, in 3-4 hours (as Dr. Beck recommends) I can have a snack.

I applied this last night when we were caught in traffic after I went to an eye doctor's appointment and decided that we would eat out rather than go home, prepare a meal that might take more hours to make and then eat which would have brought it too close to my DH bedtime.

To make sure that I stretched my meal out while DH was eating his I: cut up my spinach salad into smaller and smaller pieces, I drank more unsweetened iced tea, I asked for a take home container, I ate ice chips. I also took advantage of the fact that I have TMJ and chewing harder-to-chew foods wears me out physically and that causes me to stop eating. I am going to make this work in my favor from now on.

Day 17-End Overeating
I agree with Dr. Beck that most overweight people do not have a good grasp on what being "too full" and "overeating" are. I had to return to calorie counting and measuring all of my foods a year ago so that I could start working on this aspect of my problem with foods. Let's say I now know what "normal fullness" is[Day 18-Define Full] and I do practice it 75% of the time but it is the 25% of the time that is keeping me stalled in my weight lose efforts so I am going to strive for 95% of the time.

Day 19-Stop Fooling Yourself I am so glad that she included this because it really is the case of the "Emperor's New Clothes" when it comes to dieters, weight and food. We think we are just nibbling. We think we are just having one little bite. We think we really didn't eat that much or that many calories. Even salads look so innocently low calorie. NOT!

This is why I am deliberately "accepting" the fact that when I am up during the middle of the night that I need a plan of action for those times when I am at my mental lowness (no comments please). As it says in the book, pg.162 "Calories do count, no matter when, where or why you eat it." By squarely facing my/our food decisions and if we choose to eat more food than our diet program calls for, do it deliberately and consciously rather than under false pretenses. I've embraced this long ago but every time I see this in print, I re-claim this kernel of truth.

Beckies, I am obese because whether I like it or not, I made choices that supported being obese. It goes without saying, that if I truly desire to be thin as I once was, then I will need to make choices that support that. No fooling! "Oh, what tangled webs we weave, when we plot to deceive..."

That is where I am at today. Have a good one!
Old 05-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Thank you for all the support...
I'm having a hard time for multiple reasons. I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself regarding different things and its causing me a lot of stress. I've been awake since 4am feeling anxious and frustrated. Weight loss and exercise is just one piece of it. I need to figure out ways to help myself relax. Jillian has been good for me, but I think there is an intensity about it that isn't good. I am really judging myself. I think I need to lighten up and focus on getting exercise by walking and hiking. I also need to continue to cut sugar out of my diet. It seems to sneak in there at night especially.

pamatga Can you share that reading about patience again? I think that would be helpful for me.

Hoping I can refocus on having an ok day at work.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #21  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Morning Coaches/Buddies!

I think I'm going to the doctor today to try and increase my antidepressant dose. It was decreased a few months ago and I just think it's not doing the trick. The fact that Stephen Harper just got a majority government is also not doing much for my mood!! Sigh ... However, our social democrats (NDP) have formed the official opposition, so that tells me something too.

I'm excited because today is the first day of a course I'm taking (conference calls) on our relationship to money and why we always feel like we never have enough! It's geared to spiritually-based small business and creative people. I think I will learn a whole lot from it.

Today is Day 30 - Stay in Control when Eating Out. I eat out all the time so I think I'm putting this into practice, pretty much. If I overate every time I ate out, I'd really be in trouble. I think if the book were revised I'd want Dr Beck to include the idea of checking nutritional facts online before heading to the restaurant. I find this extremely helpful.

gardenerjoy - love seeing your consistent exercise stats each day! Inspiring!
maryann - (((Hugs))) for job blues and kudos for avoiding chocolate as a solution!
FutureFitChick - great job with food planning! Hope your knees feel better today.
Debbie (Lexxiss) - I can relate to the family dysfunction. Books and getting some solitude definitely will help!! Well done sticking to your plan in the midst of it all.
BillBE - ouch on nibblies at a meeting ... that is a tough situation. Kudos for getting your gym session in!
pamatga - Sounds like a great plan for combating nighttime hunger. Personally I think it's fine to be a bit flexible with your eating plan as long as you're staying within your limits and substituting healthy foods, as you're doing.
ChefJoona - (((Hugs))) Be gentle with yourself! I have very mixed feelings about Jillian and the whole Biggest Loser franchise. I really think that sometimes the unrealistic exercise routines and weight loss that we see on that show (and that Jillian tries to evoke in her DVDs) can actually backfire on us.

Happy Tuesday all!
Erika

Read ARC: yes
Sat down to eat: yes
Gave myself credit: yes
Walking: Spontaneous
Yoga: no
Old 05-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #22  
Green Tomatoes

I'm starting a photography class today. One of my original Advantages was to be able to get on the ground for photographs and get back up! Done!

Day 18: Change Your Definition of Full
I've successfully done this over the last 20 months!

WI: NAkgs, Exercise: +60* 60/1200 minutes for May, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

ChefJoona: if you have Netflix, you might try streaming 10 Minute Target Toning for Beginners. I believe it's also available on DVD. Unlike Jillian, it is only strength training (not aerobic), but the whole feel is much more gentle and affirming. There are five 10-minute segments and they really do work well doing one segment a day, but you can also combine two or more. It works well in conjunction with walking and hiking.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #23  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies So after the first few days of free fall, the Slimfast thing didn't work out. I actually gained weight. Not sure how that was possible, but it happened. I also managed to injure/aggravate my knee again, and now it hurts to walk, drive, sit, and climbing stairs is just not good.

So I'm sulking. Something must be done, but I sure haven't gotten my head around it yet. In the meantime, after a bender, I'm back to logging my food, and doing my best. And I'm seeing my doctor in about an hour to see if I can get the knee thing figured out. I guess those are two positive steps.

Anne
Old 05-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck folks - I haven't run away. Just not in a good place for posting.I am suffering from depression. I did see my therapist last week and felt better for a day or two.

My foot/ankle had not hurt for five monthes... I got a good report and exray from the surgeon. I could walk around the room on my tip toes, etc. I am fitted for the new brace.. and my foot/ankle now hurts like the dickens. I don't know what to think or do. I can't face all this again. It's just too much emotional up and down. Hopefully, the brace will take care of it now. The past couple of days I could hardly get out of bed but, I did. I dislike my family doctor... but, do not have the engergy at this point to look for a new one. In the middle of all this health stuff. I do have a list, however.

I feel totally out of loop in life. I don't work any more. I've been trying to read alot of power of positive thinking thinhgs and feel like a hippocrate, because it isn't working for me all the time. I am trying to act like it does. Actually, sometimes it gets me through the day.

I can't take any more of these up and down emotions.

My food is terrible. I am putting on weight. There is not enough chocolate that can make me feel better... I keep trying with the chocolate. No go...lol.

All weekend long I wanted to cry... I feel a little better today.

Thanks for listening. I commend all you folks that are working the Beck. It does work! Anyone else strugglilng like me.... hang in there and keep planning for a good day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 05-03-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #25  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I'm really trying for a good day today. I didn't log my food yesterday, but I did weigh myself. Today I have done both and have resisted the old donuts from the Sr. Center...actually I took one bite..it was bad and in the past I have eaten it, but I said no choice today. Dinner is planned and healthy and I will retreat to my reading room after dinner.

BillBlueEyes, ouch for finding your fingers on the food last night. Yay for awareness and Yay for keeping up at the gym. I'm just starting to watch the Celtics game. Wishing them

pamatga, it's great that you have really thought through your nights and your food. It really makes sense. Kudos, too, for such insight as you work through the days.

ChefJoona, it's great that you are really analyzing your feelings regarding your intensity of exercise. Lightening up and focusing on walking and hiking sounds sensible.

Erika (eusebius), perhaps Dr. Beck will see your suggestion and include it in her next book. I find it such a helpful tool.

gardenerjoy, kudos for living one of your original Advantages as you start a photography class. I can get up now, too, but couldn't at my HW.

AnneWonders, great that you're back logging your food. It is a positive step. I had slacked off, and have restarted, too. I hope your knee gets figured out.

Beverlyjoy, I am sending tender thoughts your way today. I'm glad you have seen your therapist, and that you have a list. Two important steps. PS-miss you lots when you're not here.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #26  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up May Flowers but we still have showers... sigh.

Hello Coaches

We got home from our Grand Tour of Florida at 9:15pm Sunday night. I got out of the car, carried my suitcase and a bag or two to the front door, put them down and then wrenched my back. OMG. It hurt so bad. Can you believe it? I had to miss my potter's guild meeting, the meeting for orientation and everything cause I could hardly walk. I dragged myself out to the polling station at 9m with DH when I realized with horror that I may not get my vote in! That was too upsetting so we go to the polling station where we had to sit and fill out forms as we aren't on the voter's list here cause we just moved, my face must have registered extreme pain as I sat down cause the registrar looked panicked as she watched me. For all my effort and my first stab at "stategic voting" none of it went like I wanted it. I shudder at the the thought of a Harper majority for the next 4 years. My only consolation is I am ready for these 4 years to be horrible as he dismantles decades of social support.

Oh Well.

We were having our Dinner with a Astronaut on launch day when he asked for the status of the launch. That was when the whole room of 100+ went AWWWWWW no launch. A man at our table said he went 7x to the next launch before he actually saw the launch. Well, for us this was it. We were disappointed but not devastated. After all the heater of a hydraulic fuel line was on the blink. That's why the launch was delayed. The astronaut told us it would mean the shuttle would be without steering when it re-enters the atmoshere. Yikes. Good reason to call it off. I do own a superbly ironic t-shirt: "I Was There" in big letters with an image of the shuttle on the launch pad.I've been enjoying wearing it.

Anyway the back is better tonight. I'm glad to be posting again. Tomorrow I will weigh in.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #27  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - My walk, CREDIT moi, yesterday became short when I spotted a friend coaching soccer and I stopped to watch, mesmerized by a field of middle-school girls being serious athletes for seconds at a time then devolving into giggling little girls in between. Exercise this morning was putting 12 boxes and things on the porch for the charity pick up and 7 boxes to the basement for the duration. We continue to sort, pack, and give. As we progress it gets harder for me because we're parting with things that are good quality but just not needed by us anymore. I even resisted DW giving away the angle food cake pan, "Why would I bake an angle food cake when I can buy one for $2 and we haven't had one in years?"

Eating was OP, CREDTI moi. The scale this morning forgave me the 3 pound penalty for tamari at the Japanese restaurant.

maryblu - Waving. Congrats for the first no-hitter of the season.

onebyone - Yay for a positive Florida vacation, with its "I Was There" t-shirt despite the painful lack of seeing the Space Shuttle launch. Kudos for making the effort to vote; we next door will be watching what this change means.

Anne (AnneWonders) - Ouch for a hurting knee on an active athlete. Hoping the doctor figures out the magic brace or exercise to get it under control.

Erika (eusebius) - Interesting to pursue our lust for more, more, more. I find myself shocked at how much stuff we own just because our house has space to store it.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for the flexible photographer.

Beverlyjoy - Ouch for the roller coaster foot and roller coaster emotions that go with it. Celebrating that positive thinking "sometimes gets me through the day." You've gone through impossible stuff before; you'll make it through this.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for stopping after one bite of an "old donut." There is no worse pound of fat on our bodies than one from mediocre food. [Ouch that the Celtics fell to Miami last night.]

ChefJoona - Good luck finding your path away from the pressure. Perhaps it's helpful to remember that you will have approximately one billion less people watching your upcoming wedding than did Kate Middleton, LOL.

pamatga - Kudos for making a plan for the current reality of your night time wakefulness. I think planning is most difficult when life isn't going as we wish.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 6
Make a Memory Box
As you progress through Stage I and beyond, be on the lookout for these positive experiences:

• When you are so glad you resisted eating unplanned food

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 38.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #28  

Thank you for the continued support. I too think my depression is rearing its head. Seems a common theme amongst us. It comes and goes for me, and as of late I have been pretty in control of it, but it still gets me down. I am trying to focus on the things I can control in my life and have a positive perspective on the things I can't. I am trying to focus on the activities I have going on as a way to fight the urge of curling up into a ball. The work week is easier for me as I have a lot to focus on. The weekends are harder.
Hugs Eusebius, Beverly and all around!

I read from the Green book on Monday and that got me thinking about two skills I have NOT been practicing... Differenciating between hunger and non-hunger and hunger is not an emergency. I decided to committ to practicing them yesterday. I realized how much of what I think is hunger is not. Around the times I normally snack between or after meals I noticed sensations... really paying attention to them helped me to see that they were not hunger, but cravings. I then refocused on knowing I had another planned time to eat a full meal and went along with my day without eating. Credit! This even worked at my hardest time in the day... after dinner. I will continue to practice these skills!

Today at work we are celebrating the interns who have been with our team this year, as they are about to graduate. I made a light angel food cake with fresh berries and I cut the slices small. I plan to have some. I will challenge myself not to indulge in the other offerings.

gardnerjoy Thank you for the suggestions on the videos... I will add them to my Netflix.
Annewonders Best of luck getting care for your knee!
Lexxiss Credit for throwing away the donut- not an easy task!
onebyone welcome home! Lol for the T-shirt
Old 05-04-2011, 06:57 AM   #29  

Billbe Yes... thankfully our wedding won't be the spectacle of the Royals!!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #30  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post tried to weigh in

Hi Coaches

I got the scale out and stepped on it 4x. The results were: 291, 286, 288, 289.

Well all I can say is I am definitely above 285 which is not great at all. And I can also say I need a new scale... or maybe I just need new batteries? probably a new scale as it rattled around the long drive to here when I moved and I recall trying to weigh in during my first week and the numbers were whacked out then.

If someone were to ask me how I feel, as in which of those numbers do I think I am, I'd say 291 and MORE. I am super puffy this morning, even TOM puffy. That would really really .... be irritating.

Foodwise I'm about ready to focus in on my food again as well as get going on some exercise. Key West, with its 90F + humidity temps made me feel every extra pound i am carrying. It didn't feel good.

Better go. I'll check in with personals later.
Closed Thread