Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:40 AM   #271  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Good morning,

Positive food day yesterday. I spent an hour or so preparing food for the week. I have a big quinoa salad for dinners and fruits and veggies chopped for easy snacks and salads. Dinner was a picnic with a friend with healthy options. Exercise was a neighborhood walk with DF, and our new favorite lawn game. We went to a movie in the evening and DF and I split a child's size popcorn and didn't even finish it between the two of us.

I did not sleep well last night.... I started to feel a scratchy throat yesterday and through out the night it got worse...and I had a lot of stress related thoughts about work and the busy week ahead. I tossed and turned. Even if I develop a full blown cold I don't see any time for a sick day this week- blah! I will hope for restful evenings and nights.

onebyone I stew the rhubarb with just a couple table spoons of water to several cups of rhubarb. I also added some frozen raspberries. I used 1/4 of a cup of maple syrup to sweeten it. In total it made about 3-4 cups of stewed product.

Lexxiss I have not tried the Ezekial tortillas. I have seen the bread in local stores... I'll keep an eye out for the tortillas!

Woodland I am still really focusing on distinguishing "hunger" from "non-hunger/ cravings". I notice I am so much more mindful about what I eat when I focus on that skill.

BillBe Way to go with resisting the cashew! However small, it is still a big impact on keeping that resistance muscle strong!

Hi everyone else! Wishing you a good start to the week!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:47 AM   #272  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

GM and GD fellow Beckies!

I got a head cold this past weekend so I am dealing with that. The "benefit" is most of the cold medicine I take helps me sleep. However, we did do a B-B-Q outdoors yesterday for Memorial Day. I did brats (yes, the real deals!) and boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I made two cold side salads from my "Month of Meals"(from now refered to M.O.M.) diabetic cookbook; both were a hit and you wouldn't know they were low cal/low fat/no sugar! I made the potato salad again (this time I deviated and used lite ranch dressing instead of lite mayo, added dill weed and cut up pickles). The other salad was the cold broccoli one I mentioned before. It was a great way to get in my vegetables. DH liked both. Both would be "company-worthy" as well. For the past 16 months, I have treated myself to "healthier version" cookbooks, gardeningdeb. The old ones are shelved.

Today I am on the last Day(42) of the pink Beck book. I have found the past two weeks of Days to hold some real gems in terms of insights and "tools". For Reducing Stress, I made my own card of self-imposed thoughts to read a loud and review frequently. Dealing with a Plateau -I thought that was eye-opening since Dr. Beck defines both what a short term and a long term plateau are and then how to both interpret and deal with it. I found this information to be especially enlightening and empowering. Enriching Your Life-was something I had begun to embrace before picking up this book but it does remind us that using our unresolved weight issues as a reason to not live is just plain dumb!

So, now that I am at the end of this pink book, I feel more empowered than I have ever felt before. This time the feeling is not related to the early "honeymoon" phase of starting a new diet but it is linked to the fact that by confronting "misbeliefs" and "unrealistic" expectations, I can safely and reasonably lose weight. I won't panic if I gain a lb or two because I will know to go back to the definitions of short and long term plateaus, decide what it is and what the appropriate action I will take to move along. I won't see all or nothing regarding my past efforts and instead give myself credit for how far I have come, what health benefits I have already experienced and know that now I have the "tools", skills and insights to navigate the rest of the journey.

So, that is where I am at today. Depending on how I feel with my cold (which I am sure is a/c related since it has been mid to upper 90s and that has been running non-stop) will determine how active I am. Other than that, "business as usual".
Old 05-31-2011, 08:44 AM   #273  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Coaches/Buddies, I am feeling frustrated this morning - like I will never get to a healthy weight. I started feeling hopeless about the situation, along with the enormous amount of house and research work I have to do. Overwhelmed I am and without any strong deadlines coming up, so that frustrates me that I am this anxious over nothing impending. I guess I’m just sick of the status quo. It seems like every week I decide I need to refocus on something before my face but never bring it clearly into view. Ugh!

I am running late this morning, as usual. I had a tremendous time turning off my mind last night and as a result slept for about six and one-half hours, but only felt like three - definitely not enough for me. After this, I am going to get some freshly made yogurt with strawberries and walk my Saint around the neighborhood.

I went to the Indy 500 this weekend. It was the first time for me since ~1992. I found it very enjoyable this time - in extreme opposition to my high school marching band experience. I am not the biggest fan of cars to begin with, so never intended to go again and witness humanity at its finest in the infield (think thousands of people drunk out of their mind in ninety degree heat). My husband’s boss sprung for employee tickets but found himself with a few extras. As a result, some of the spouses got to go too. Our tickets were on the inside, just twelve rows behind Simona de Silvestro’s pit. I watched her team struggle with trying to optimize her car over and over. She made pit stop after stop, until finally the team manager waved her out of the car. She was so devastated that her physical injury (burnt hands from earlier in the week) caused her to bump the wall and her team just couldn’t get the car to run optimally after that. Simona looked so sad to disappoint her team, so sad. In many ways I can identify with that crushing feeling of disappointing others, and it makes me just kind of stop inside, as if I’ve just gone through an adrenaline rushing experience and my body is trying to recover. They I pause, and look down at my body with all of its excess flesh, and the fear of my parents health strikes me. I feel doomed to their physical fate, my father’s massive heart attack last year, and my mother’s failing diabetic kidneys diagnosed only days ago. Then just quiet.

Today’s Essentials:
Weigh-in: +1 lbs.
Read Advantage Cards two times: once this morning
Read Response Cards at least two times: no
Ate slowly, sitting down, noticing every bite: no
Gave myself credit when I engaged in helpful eating behaviors: yes
Did spontaneous exercise: yes - lots of cleaning (but not enough at the same time)
Did planned exercise: no
Wrote out food plan for tomorrow: no
Tracked today’s food: no
Left food on my plate: no
Ate only to normal fullness: no
Identified and responded to a self-deluding thought: no

BillBlueEyes, great job with the heavy dumbbells. I am cheering you on for success on Wednesday.

ChefJoona, fantastic job for all of your food preparation yesterday. Sorry you shared my sleep woes and I hope you feel better soon.

PamatGA, your Memorial Day salads sound wonderful. Thanks for reminding me of what treasures are within Dr. Beck’s writing. I will review some of these lessons in the next twenty-four hours. You just made a big difference my outlook on the day and I am thankful to your for that.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 AM   #274  
Wannabe Loser

S/C/G: 184/138/120

Height: Almost 5'2"

Hi coaches. Well I stepped off the wagon again in terms of drinking over the weekend. Now I don't feel like myself and the scale is up a pound. Why do I do that?! I'm trying not to dwell on it since I really didn't do much damage, kept my eating pretty much in check. But I'm still doing that pattern of getting the ball rolling and then derailing myself before I get to a good goal of 5 pounds lost. Admittedly I haven't been using the skills at all, i.e. the resistance muscle, reading my cards. Anyway, getting back on track today, and I think I need to decide about drinking. I'll check in later. Hope everyone is doing well
Old 05-31-2011, 05:49 PM   #275  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Afternoon Coaches:
The school day is done: the 8th graders are sent home and I am still repeating my mantra "I am paid to be an adult. I am paid to be an adult." Rained out promotion practice and everyone was frustrated. Unfortunately, 13 yos express feeling in kickboxing and rudeness. HMMMM. Still , the day went better than I expected except for the last bit. I must remember the positive and let go of the rest. Day OP as was yesterday.
A little resistance technique until an early dinner will be just the ticket.

Last edited by maryann; 05-31-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #276  
This is for life!

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/136

Height: 5'3"

Hi Beckies!

It's been a while since I've posted here. I've been off "lurking" on other threads... STILL haven't lost much. Down to 193 from 210 since January, BUT I feel great. Lots and lots of exercise has me more muscular than I've been in 20 or more years, and I'm feeling lean (really, I am.) Dr. Beck's words of wisdom have stuck. This IS for life, and I know that eventually the weight will come off if I stay on plan. I'm expecting a huge swoosh soon!

FutureFitChic - it WILL work - hang in there!

Pramatga - did you get to Florida and see the shuttle take off? Hows the new home?

Shepardess - have you had the baby?

BillBe - Is the Green book better than the Pink book?

I've missed you guys!

Last edited by Gwen; 05-31-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:39 PM   #277  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Fellow Becker's:

I am on plan today and for that I am grateful.

Hopefully will be able to post this, our internet is really spotty today.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:17 AM   #278  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Discussion continues on the June 2011 Thread

Please join us as this discussion continues on

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2011 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Closed Thread