Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Just a quick check in tonight.

Credit today for:

ate on plan- YAHOOOO
no sugar
drank lots of water
walked 30 minutes on my lunch break
weighed in
checked in with my coaches
read response and advantage cards
meditated
logged food
planned tomorrow and packed lunch.

In addition I have re-committed to really paying attention to a basic Beck skills that I have such a hard time with- eating slowly and mindfully and enjoying every bite. This is something I am determined to improve on and I did pretty well with this today.

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:31 AM   #122  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome IslaAzure

IslaAzure

And, on the day of joining the site,

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find the Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:32 AM   #123  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It was a day without off-plan tree nuts; CREDIT moi. It feels pathetic to write that but I do, and do even though their challenge is on weekends. Gotta get it through my head that eating doesn't fix tension! It's worth reminding myself that I had to keep dipping into the jar because one fistful didn't make the tension go away. Other eating was also OP; CREDIT moi.

I suppose there were a few more people at my gym (CREDIT moi) - but not as many as I remember. I'm kinda fascinated with the apparent lack of the January surge so far. Oh yes, it's the day to tick my signature, so CREDIT moi for another month on my journey.

onebyone - Ouch for the disappointment of the cottage, with Monster Kudos for accepting its reality rather than marching into a situation that wasn't a fit for you. Kudos for seeing that your one mile of WATP was a success. Please do "walk to Boston" - if you arrived today you'd feel smug since my house is a chaotic mess with all our stuff in stacks and piles as we sort our de-cluttering, LOL.

FutureFitChick - Kudos for spending time reading the pink book; a little dose of Beck seems to help get the mind in the right frame. On Mondays while I work out at my gym, the background chatter is frequently Sunday football. But yesterday it wasn't football itself, but the mouth of the Jets' coach, LOL. That man draws the ire of our local lifters.

CeeJay - Yay for "eating slowly and mindfully and enjoying every bite" - with Kudos for forshadowing today's quote from Beck, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - LOL at the emergency run to the library before the snow storm. Yay for priorities in order.

Shepherdess - It helps me each time I reread the chapter in the pink book about Thinking Errors. I tend to also discover thoughts such as your "... afraid I wouldn’t have enough to eat at the next meal." It's never true for me, but you have the reality of a carnivore culture choosing the foods available. My only thought is that you might consider carrying emergency rations - granola bars, trail mix, whatever - as mental emergency rations just to counter this thinking, even if you knew that you rarely needed them. Good luck wrestling that way of thinking.

Beverlyjoy - Congrats on the big scale jump to get back to the weight you know yourself to be. I note every day when you write "left a bite," kick myself for not having done that, think I oughta, then don't, and cycle again when I read your post the next morning. Keep it up - you may influence me yet, LOL.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Yay for home made soup to fight whatever ails. Kudos for creating order in your life by digitizing the old negatives. I'm setting the bit in my head to look for a way to do that; we have boxes and boxes of stuff calling to be put on DVD's. [You're right, everybody has to have a "geek on tap" or a home PC almost certainly grinds to a halt.]

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Ooooh .. nice image of learning the Beck strategies, "... like a cat chasing shiny bobbles."

maryann - Kudos for using your "wait 20 minutes" strategy. Love the image of looking toward the cupboards for more food.

ChefJoona - Yay for an open mind who googles for one thing, finds Beck, and comes on board. Serendipity wins again. It's a good start to be familiar with Behavior Therapies. I understand the challenge of finding your exercise plan. Walking worked for me until I built up the courage to poke my head inside a gym. Thirty minutes of ice skating is good exercise especially with friends.

IslaAzure - It's a head start for using the Beck strategies that you already have in mind "I must change my outlook on food and eating!" My take is that that's the big first hurdle. Which Beck book did your order?

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1
How the Program Works

There are several essential parts of the Beck Diet for Life Program. It provides you with a well-balanced, healthy, enjoyable eating plan. But before you change what you eat, you learn important skills:
  • How to motivate yourself every day, make dieting a priority, give yourself credit, and cope with hunger and cravings
  • How to consistently use good eating habits: eating everything slowly, while sitting down and enjoying every bite
  • How to plan in advance what you are going to eat, monitor your eating as you go along, and stick with three meals and three snacks a day
You learn these skills as well as how to get yourself to practice them, day after day - even if you are tired, stressed, busy, or unmotivated. You learn how to exert self-control.

The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 14.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Good morning!

I have to say it might take some time for me to get to know you all and begin to write more personal posts. I am so impressed with this Forum, and the honest support that exists here!

I exercised last night! I was feeling very resistent, but thinking of all of you, I got off the couch and played some active video games (that dance game you might have seen on TV) for about half an hour. I snuck in some spontaneous stair climbs throughout the day at work too.

I am encouraged by those of you who are walking outside in the cold. I live in chilly Vermont, and was walking regularly in the fall, but the winter and dark evenings ended that. Looking forward to the Spring to return to that. It is soo much easier for me to exercise outdoors.

I stuck to my planned meals yesterday, which helped immensely to avoid unplanned snacks.

Having a friend over for dinner tonight, which will take some will power to stay on track! I'm cooking though, which should make it easier.

Happy Tuesday
Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #125  
Green Tomatoes

We have about 4 inches of snow and still falling lightly. When it was first predicted, DH indicated a need to be prepared to stay in for the week, but the closer it got the more he talked about shoveling out today, so we'll see. I'm trying to be prepared either way but that makes for a sort of tension that isn't all that good for either my productivity or my willingness to eat on plan. Identifying the problem will help, there.

WI: -0.05kg, Exercise: +35* 370/1300 minutes for January, Food: 75%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome IslaAzure!

ChefJoona: yay for doing your exercise!

BillBlueEyes: congrats on another month!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #126  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Coaches/Buddies, yesterday ended badly – way over planned calories. I had unplanned snacking in the afternoon and then the dinner I planned ended up being higher in calories than I ever expected. I woke up this morning and had a blister under my gowearfit. Ouch! I’ve got to run so I’m not late for class…

Today’s Essentials:
Weigh-in: +.5 lbs.
Read Advantage Cards two times: yes
Read Response Cards at least two times: yes
Ate slowly, sitting down, noticing every bite: not off plan snack
Gave myself credit when I engaged in helpful eating behaviors: yes
Did spontaneous exercise: yes – lots of housework
Did planned exercise: no
Wrote out food plan for tomorrow: yes
Tracked today’s food: yes
Left food on my plate: no
Ate only to normal fullness: no
Identified and responded to a self-deluding thought: no

BillBlueEyes, congratulations for no off plan nuts and another successful month. You are an inspiration to us all! I laughed about the Jets’ coach. So true!

ChefJoona, great job with your on plan meals and your consideration of an exercise program.

CeeJay, great job with your recommitment!

GardenerJoy, glad to hear you are all prepared for the snow. It is coming down hard here in Indiana.

IslaAzure, welcome to the group! I think you’ll find some amazing and supportive people here.

maryann, reading about you being on plan is inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Onebyone, sorry to hear about the cottage. Good luck finding a new place.

Seadwaters, glad to hear you are feeling better! That is really great! What is the name of the product you are using to convert your negatives?

Shepherdess, break food at conferences is usually tough! Glad you are back home and can get back on track.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #127  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Early morning at school. I tried to do too much the first day back so I am trying to pace myself today. OP yesterday and then it happened. Blick!!! unexplainable weight gain this morning - one pound. Oh Well. I know I did fine yesterday and for many days. If I had to chose between the last 6 pounds and freedom from food obsession I would pick freedom. and since I have had that this week, I have to let the rest go. I am sticking to my plan today, saying "easy does it" and take unrelated actions of self-caring and self - less-ness (getting out of self). I know this always leads me to success.
Keep on keeping on.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #128  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

It was such a relief to have a plan yesterday; ate what I had planned and packed when it was time and didn't have to think about it other than that. Unfortunately, a box of crackers jumped in my cart at the store on the way home so I went a bit off plan, but didn't let it derail my healthy dinner.

I was way too stuffed up to breath heavily during exercise by the the end of the afternoon, so clothes are sitting in my office waiting patiently for this afternoon.I did intend to use the Nordic Trak upstairs as a backup plan, but DD's new kitten chose our pillows for her new litter box and by the time I got that situation taken care of, it was too late. Sometimes I let fake emergencies get in the way of exercise (poor me, I've got a hangnail, better rest!) but lately it seems like some larger time-suckers have interrupted my plans (pipes, poop, etc).

Another lightbulb moment actually last week when I was so disorganized with eating, etc and too tired to make good decisions: I've always resisted the plan a day or week ahead for meals because it seems to restrictive, but if I had planned ahead, it would have been one thing I could have relied on, one thing I didn't have to take extra energy to figure out. I may not have the energy to make good on the spot choices or plans, so if my food is planned and packed, success is a no brainer! I'm definitely writing this one down!

ChefJoona: welcome! I love being outside in the cold for exercise, but the daylight issue is the hard one, isn't it? I'm glad days are finally getting (incrementally) longer.

Shepherdess: why is it that conference food is always so bad for you???Especially break food. Memo to anyone who plans a workshop, conference, meeting etc: Step away from the dried up pastry baskets and order up some fresh fruit or vegie trays! Look around at the next event you're at and notice
how many people would probably do better with healthier choices!

Onebyone: bummer about the cottage; thank goodness you hadn't signed up long distance and been stuck dealing with it. My recommendation for your forced vacation: lots of long walks out of the house (even at a mall if you have to) and trips to a coffee house (that doesn't sell pastries) to do planning, writing, more house hunting; anything to keep yourself from being housebound with food that attacks.

I'm putting together today's lunch and reading posts during breakfast for inspiration; I'll try to squeeze in a few pages of Beck before I head out the door.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #129  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I had a good OP day yesterday. My schedule was a little unusual since I had an afternoon Dr’s appointment and so I wound up having a planned snack of edamame while cooking dinner. It was eating while standing, but it was planned and measured out, so I’m OK with that. I got to hear the little heart beat at the appointment. It was reassuring. I have seen the little one in an ultrasound, but still occasionally have irrational thoughts like I might not really be pregnant and am just gaining weight for no reason. It’s crazy, but helps to get the occasional concrete reminder that there is someone in there.

Another cold day, so exercise was weights indoors. Looks like more indoor exercise for the next few days.

Gardenerjoy, yay for being prepared for the upcoming storm. If you’ve got everything you need, snow days can be pretty nice! Ouch for the uncertainty it’s bringing, but great job acknowledging it. Thanks for the tips on packing healthy food. That’s not something that’s ever on my packing list, but it does make a lot of sense.

Maryann, I love your positive attitude for the first day back at work after a vacation! Great job continuing to tell yourself “No Choice!” Once you get into the habit of being firm, you’ll probably find that desire to eat begins to diminish. I hate those unexplained weight gains, but it’s just a temporary blip in the scale. It’ll go the right direction soon.

Welcome IslaAzure! Great job taking your first step into Beck! I hope you find it as helpful as the rest of us have. You’re right that weight loss requires a change mentally.

Seadwaters, LOL at devouring soup while reading posts. I still multi-task when I eat and like you, it’s often something Beck related. I don’t know if that makes it better or worse. Kudos for getting organized and having meals prepared and ready to go.

CeeJay, cheers for another day OP! Great job recommitting to the basic Beck skills. It’s easy to let those skills fall by the wayside. I need to do a better job with some of those basics as well!

BillBE, congrats on ticking off another month of maintenance and thank you for continuing to inspire us all! Yay for a day without off plan tree nuts. They can be such a wonderful food, but are too easy to eat by the handful. Thanks for the tips on eating well on someone else’s schedule. I like the idea of keeping some snacks on hand because then I still have a sense of control.

ChefJoona, kudos for getting in exercise even though you didn’t feel like it. I love outdoor exercise, but have a difficult time when temps drop and snow covers the ground. I hope the dance game keeps it fun! Best of luck staying OP with a dinner guest.

FutureFitChick, ouch for the blister and ouch for a day that ended up being more calories than you had intended. At least you stuck to your plan. You can look at yesterday as just some information and next time you plan that dinner, you’ll be prepared.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #130  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Nature Girl, sorry I missed your post. I love those "aha!" moments. Great job recognizing how much planning simplifies your life. I sometimes resist the planning, but it does make life easier! Yay for getting some exercise in even when planned exercise wasn't going to work out.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #131  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up quick hello

Hi Coaches

several credits to note:
  1. no seconds
  2. no off plan snacking;this is a HOUSE FULL OF NIGHT TIME SNACKERS!!!
  3. not sedentary = did watp 2mi this morning yay!
  4. drinking my water
  5. writing in my journal
  6. planning my food as best I can
  7. pie is limited to one slice at dinner - I hide it away otherwise
  8. made a plan to keep busy and sane
  9. did a 2mile watp dvd this morning

So I got DH to take me to the local art supply store. I bought a cheap set of paint, some brushes, charcoal to sketch out a drawing, and a large 30x40 canvas. Told DH's mom my plan for my painting. As a rule I rarely discuss my paintings when they are in progress, or int his case just a germ of an idea. It takes away some of that delicious creative energy. Anyway, she completely didn't get it after I described it and IT DIDN'T MAKE ME FEEL BAD OR QUESTION MYSELF. HA! big credit for some self-esteem here...

During the night I woke up with pieces of an artist statement composed in my head and the knowledge of what I was really going to paint. Another astronaut. I got up and wrote everything that came to me down. Thank you subconscious! I am ready to continue the astronaut series I started in 2008 during my 2nd year at art school. Yay! So thrilled.

We see a megatownhouseinacomplexoftownhouses tonight which is about 400m from DH's work according to google maps. 400m? That's close. I contacted a real estate agent who had an ad on kijiji saying she would find you a place to rent. She was prompt and had 3 choices but only two are suitable and only one is available to be seen tonight. It may not even be good as we have dear Caesar cat and often people don't rent to people with pets so we'll see. It's more about trying out eh agent and seeing if we want to hook up with her about finding us more places. unless this one works out. you just never know. Anyway I promised myself to use the time I am here and looks like that's happening. DH is also glad I am round so that's the added bonus.

have a great day coaches.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #132  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckfolks, coaches… Yesterday was mostly on plan. Last night my jaw joint nearly popped out and in - OUCH (this happens to me once in a while). I did eat some extra food as a reaction. (the worst thing you can do) I wish I could react to physical discomfort without food. I am working on it - I don’t use food every time. So, this morning I went to the store to get ‘soft’ stuff for the next week or so.

Before the jaw episode I had many credits: planned/measured/logged food, ate seated only, no seconds, leave a bite, exercise (stretches/strengthening/recumbent bike), spontaneous exercise (don’t faint), wrote my daily tasks, etc in my journal, lots of water, meditation and more.

My spontaneous exercise was going up and down the stairs a few extra times. YAY

Today I am going to tidy up my office. I am inspired by folks here cleaning and sorting their things. I have many piles of ‘stuff’ all over the place. It’s even too much for me. It’s a good day for that… three inches or more snow is suppose to come today.

new lifestyle - isn’t it wonderful how effective planning can be. You don’t have to have any ‘what will I eat’ thoughts spinning around in your head.

Futurefitchick - Credit for spending time with the pink book! It’s great that you can give yourself credit during the day. I need to work on that.
-ouch for the unplanned extra food - Ya know every single day is a new beginning with all the possibilities. Carry on with what you know works. Credit for reading your ARC twice!

Onebyone - sorry the cottage by the lake wasn’t what you wanted. Sounds like way too many things to deal with. I am so sorry you have to deal with all the shenanigans of your MIL etc. Credit for your OP breakfast. I hope that you and DH can get into walking!
Wonderful credits for your Tuesday.

Shepardess - it is hard when you are not in your food ‘comfort zone’ and don’t know what’s going to be available. I am not sure if your meals were sit down or buffet. I recall Dr. Beck saying to scope everything out and decide what you want. Take these things only and then no seconds. When you are served too much - decide what you will eat on your plate and move the other food to the side. I think this is very challenging - but, doable. You can bring a meal bar & fruit too and walk away remembering that eating that particular food isn’t an emergency.
So exciting to hear the baby's heartbeat!

Gardener/joy - credit for getting everything ready to stay OP ad OK before the big snow comes.

Maryann - major credit for using different resistance techniques after a meal when you want more. Yes - five pounds is a very reasonable amount - not overwhelming but very doable.

islazure -WELCOME!!! Glad you posted. You will find Dr. Becks ideas very helpful in learning to live with food in a healthful and sane manner.

Seadwaters - credit for planning the meal where you will do all the mindful tasks! Glad you are feeling some better. Yes… I am starting to feel like I can like/accept where I am on the scale. Thanks for your thoughts. Many good credit!

Ceejay - many credits!! - and for recommitting to the basics. It’s a good reminder for me. Thanks.

Billbe - Credit for staying away from the tree nuts!! Yes!! Sometimes it wish you/we could tatoo “ eating doesn’t take away tension” on our brains. Credit for getting to the gym. I am doing a ‘one more month on Beck’ happy dance for you. Well done.

Chefjoon - credit for getting off the couch and moving - Great! Yes - planning meals/snacks really helps.

Gardener/joy - you said: Identifying the problem will help! Yes! That’s the very first step to solving any challenge. Credit.

Maryann - remember that every time you step on the scale it is but one moment in time affected by- food, water, hormones, salt, bodily functions. I know it’s hard just shrug it off - if you know you haven’t had 3500+ extra calories in the past day or so - it’s not ‘real’ gain. Carry on.

nature girl - credit for not letting a few crackers throw off your whole day! I agree, planning is so key for many of us. Sorry about the kitten’s mistake.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 01-11-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #133  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Waving to all of you. I had a crazy busy night, which turned in to a very busy day, and so on and so on. I want to eat like a mad woman, but I know that I shouldn't. Thank goodness I have planned out my meals. I think I will go have a shower instead of snacking on something I didn't plan on eating. I just wanted to say hello, I didn't feel like posting today. Thank you all for the wonderful posts, they help to keep me on plan. I hope I can pay back all the great stuff I am getting from this site.
Take Care
Ann
Old 01-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #134  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Name of negative scanner

FutureFitChick you asked for the name of the scanner - so while I have my hands on it:

USB Negative Slide 35mm Film Digital Scanner - Filmscan35 I (not one) and it cost $45. It is fabulous and easy to use
Old 01-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #135  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi All!

A quick check in...I'm trying to settle into a new routine which is always hard. At least I'm getting exercise here between the pool and carrying my 50# pup up and down the stairs in temps hovering around 0. I had 2-1/2 hrs at the dentist today and once again had thoughts of the off plan food I deserved to eat for going through all the pain. Awful pizza topped my list...instead we're having a healthy soup-a switch in my plan as I needed something softer. *credit* for giving my craving mechanism a NO CHOICE.

Take care all. I hope things settle a bit.
Closed Thread