Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:00 AM   #196  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Becksters - my last two days have been mostly on plan. Credit. I did overeat before I went to sleep last night, however. It really makes me mad because I had many credits. However, yesterday was sloppy. I have been so tired - the past 6 months my sleep patterns have been very off kilter. I am mad at myself for 'giving in' to the food.

I thought about what Dr. Beck says - If when eating something that's off plan & you are having a conversation with yourself that you maybe/probably should not be eating it - then use that as a cue to stop. I did have that conversation in my head, but, I chose to disregard it. Phooey.

My new 'routine' is to fall asleep by 9:30 -10 pm and wake up at 1 or 2am. This has started of late. By 8pm I am so, so tired and easily tempted by my old 'friend' (not really) food. I am trying to stay up to 11pm tonight and see if I can shift this until more reasonable hours. Maybe if I sit in an uncomfortable chair I can stay awake. You see, I've been falling asleep in my comfy recliner.

some credits: planning/measuring/logging, leave a bite,meditation, lots of water, daily exercise, read arc/rc, a little journal work....

My blood pressure has been borderline high for six months. I need to be following a low salt food plan. That makes me mad, too. LOL Oh well.

So, I am up for the day and I think I'll do my Beck work to get myself ready to have a healthy day.

Have a good day folks.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 01-17-2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:20 AM   #197  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - Martin Luther King day in the U.S.

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was looking forward to going out (abandoned, alone) for dinner last night until I realized that dinner overlapped the New England Patriots football game. So I dug into leftovers during commercials and eliminated five containers; CREDIT moi. In my house it's a major credit to eliminate a container from the fridge.

On my walk, CREDIT moi, I went through a park where my path along a hill is overrun by kids sledding. I just love the shrieks as they barrel down. Such good exercise to climb back up the hill.

onebyone - What a fine walk you've planned right through the Green Mountains of Vermont and the White Mountains of New Hampshire - plan on some extra calories for climbing up and down. I'll meet you at the Boston Common and we'll continue on to Provincetown at the tip of Cape Cod where we keep all our artists - you'll feel right at home there. Love the appearance of unstable in your ceramic.

FutureFitChick - Ouch for impending deadlines - wishing you well for staying with your eating plan and exercise plan under pressure. After last night's game, I share your pain at being beaten by the mouth from New York. [I gotta make my own peanut butter some day; so far, I've not found roasted peanuts cheaper than the PB out of the grinders.]

CeeJay - Love that you've already got your lunch packed for a trip out of town.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Love being reminded of your "spa day" idea.

Shepherdess - Drooling over "butternut squash raviolis." Boggled that you make your own.

Beverlyjoy - Look forward to hearing if you can shift your sleep cycle. I enjoy being a morning person, but sometimes wish to fit a more standard day when, for example, we'll be headed off to a late party or performance.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for a "B- Beck day" - new term for us.

ChefJoona - Yep, Kudos for preparing dinner for a friend while staying on your plan - a good sign for keeping your loss for the long term.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1
How the Program Works

The Beck Diet for Life Program includes a plan for healthy eating. You already know that certain foods - vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, nuts, legumes - are much healthier selections than others, such as sweets, chips, and fried foods. The problems that beset most dieters: How to continually choose foods from the first category and limit (but not eliminate) foods from the second? How to get to the point where self-imposed restrictions feel good?

The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 16.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:47 AM   #198  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Coaches/Buddies, I got up today when my first alarm went off, which is great. However, I slept terribly due to nightmares. Ugh!

I am looking forward to getting some work on my project done today, which hopefully will relieve a little stress. I just hope I’m alert enough to do a good job.

Today’s Essentials:
Weigh-in: +1.5 lbs.
Read Advantage Cards two times: yes
Read Response Cards at least two times: yes
Ate slowly, sitting down, noticing every bite: yes
Gave myself credit when I engaged in helpful eating behaviors: yes
Did spontaneous exercise: yes
Did planned exercise: none planned
Wrote out food plan for tomorrow: partially
Tracked today’s food: yes
Left food on my plate: no
Ate only to normal fullness: no, was a little too full after dinner
Identified and responded to a self-deluding thought: no

BeverlyJoy, credit for picking yourself back up after a bad eating episode. You have a lot of other credits to celebrate too, which is wonderful! You’ll master a low salt diet with not trouble, I’m sure!

BillBlueEyes, glad you helped out the house with getting rid of leftovers and you found such joy in seeing the kids sledding! Sorry about the Patriots yesterday. I hate seeing those players so disappointed in themselves!

CeeJay, congratulations about the weight loss! I wish you the best at the hotel!!

Onebyone, great job for weighing in and not responding with emotional eating.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #199  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Well, I got a bit cocky with the 2lbs gone, and definitely went off plan yesterday. I did have some successes... loaded up my plate with veggies and only a taste of steak and mashers at my parents house, but my mom had some yummy homemade cookies I couldn't resist.

My mom has also recently begun the Beck Diet. She had her ARCs posted in the kitchen. I encouraged her with that, and showed her this forum. She isn't too computer savvy, so its unlikely we will see her on here any time soon. It is great to have her local so we can support each other.

I also mindlessly ate while watching the Golden Globes last night. Did anyone else watch? Ricky Gervais really pushed the limits on what is comedy and what is just cruel...

Beverlyjoy thank you for the remind about what Dr. Beck says about those cues we can get if we are having a conversation about a choice to eat something. I am going to focus on that this week! I have a lot of such conversations in my head...

No work today, for MLK jr day! I'm going start the day off with some whole wheat crepes and fresh berries... a healthy treat that satisfies a hunger for something richer like waffles or pancakes.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #200  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

'Lo, Beckmates,

Just checking in before I take advantage of a holiday and weather that is above 0. Gonna do some planned exercise via a new snow shovel; I *love it.
A really heavy scraper kind....I push the snow as far as I can and then use the other snow shovel to toss it..the drifts are so big around my house and garage, I have to throw the snow up and over. Good exercise, for sure. I must maintain this tunnel I have made to my house.

Oh, well, DBF just put up the seed display in his store. Spring's a comin'.

BillBE, was shocked that the Jets prevailed. I would have bet money on the Pates going all the way. So, for now, I guess go Green Bay.

Back on track with Beck behavior, and no, Lexxiss, I can't even say that when I am in my zone I am subconsciously using Beck techniques. The nearest I can come to explaining it is that I am just not focused on food; it is not important; I eat a little bit when I am hungry and let it go at that. It is a gift, and a great one. I wish I could give it to all my Beckmates. I guess the closest I can come to saying at this time I am using Beck CBT is that I am focused/determined on the outcome. I want this *dad-gummed*fat gone!

Did I mention spring's acomin'?
Old 01-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #201  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I hope everyone is enjoying their MLK day. My server certainly seems to be. It’s moving pretty slow this AM with lots of connection interruptions.

I’m happy to report that yesterday was OP. I even managed to resist snacking on the chips that DH was having while dinner was on the stove. The wind was a lot stronger yesterday, which wasn’t a bad thing since I did need to do a strength workout. I tried to avoid it, but finally did it and felt better afterwards.

ChefJoona, congrats on the 2 lb loss! It’s always rewarding when friends notice the changes. Ouch that the good weigh-in made you cocky, but it sounds like you still got some credits. It’s great that your mom started Beck as well. Kudos for being such a good influence. Maybe next time you have dinner at her house, she won’t have the extra temptation around.

FutureFitChick, great job making homemade food. Hope you will have lots of good leftovers as you face looming deadlines and anxiety over meeting them. Ouch for nightmares interfering with sleep, but great job getting up and facing your day anyways!

CeeJay, congrats on a positive weigh-in experience! It’s always rewarding to see those numbers dropping. Yay for a day of puttering that includes lots of exercise. Best of luck on your night at the hotel. You’ve proven that you can do it!

Onebyone, glad you had a good visit with your mom. I love your broken zipper piece! Great job avoiding a binge after a disappointing weigh-in. That’s a serious credit!

Beverlyjoy, sorry about continued “off-kilter” sleep patterns. It certainly does make sticking to your plan more difficult. A single overeating event doesn’t negate all the other credits you earned in a day. It’s hard to remember that, but important. Kudos for looking for solutions to your sleep issues and best of luck.

BillBE, yay for eliminating leftovers when abandoned for dinner. It sounds like fun that your walk took you by kids sledding—always my favorite winter activity as a kid. I’m looking forward to having kids of my own so I can re-live that play time.

Here’s the link to the butternut squash ravioli recipe: http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/b...emary-oil.aspx. (I’m having trouble posting links today). Not the healthiest dish, but worth the splurge when you have the time. Also, I make only what DH and I will eat and freeze the rest for later.

Maryblu, yay for above 0 weather and getting outside for some exercise! I would love to get to the point where I am not focused on food. Great job keeping Beck in mind even when things are easy.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #202  
Green Tomatoes

Hey, look at that! I followed my food plan and my weight went down.

WI: -0.35kg, Exercise: +35* 660/1300 minutes for January, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

CeeJay: I got a comment from Laurel Mellin on my blog (how cool is that?) and she said I should try her new book, Wired for Joy. She says the updated method in the new book is easier and more powerful.

onebyone: cool sculpture -- I like the unbalanced nature of it, too. And neat walking map!

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 01-17-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #203  

Height: 5' 5"

Hello everyone. I'm still around. I have been struggling with a few things about the Beck plan these past few days. One is that I'm tired of reading the same damn cards every day! LOL I need to write some new ones or something.
I am also struggling with the daily weighing. I have no problem getting on the scale. I am starting to get annoyed by the lack of movement of the scale numbers. I know that it's (still) hormonal- at least in part, but it's starting to get demoralizing. I am fighting with that thought/feeling, but I haven't conquered it yet. So yeah, not losing weight- not gaining either but no matter what I am still goal oriented and annoyed that it's not coming off. [/rant]
Sorry for the rant.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #204  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default just not a good day

Coaches

credit for weighing in and surpassing my all time high this morning:287.4

#$%@!*

omg I just give up.

I ended up having a GIANT greasy breakfast after I saw that number. I skipped lunch and sat in my big chair most of the day snuggling with the Caesar cat. Dinner, however, is OP. My tantrum is over but I feel defeated. Probably I am crashing from the week away and DH being gone. Looks like we'll be apart a month longer than we anticipated too. We're going to be on the lookout for a place for April 1st not March 1st. Doing this means we can save some $ in March. We've decided to turn down the house we saw. Now we're back to seeing things which means more MIL encounters but I won't stay for a full week again.

Guess I'm stressed.

Today I don't have the desire to be OP. Luckily I have no bad food in the house so my offplan plans are all in my head which is fine.

Bye for now.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #205  

S/C/G: 255/218/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone,

I think I'm finally getting back on track. I kept avoiding just reading my response cards.. I would tell myself that I didn't need to or that I didn't care. I DO need to and I DO care so I finally made a chart to check off that I read my response cards 3 times a day. I think it's helping.

A question for everyone... How do you read your advantages response card? Do you start each reason with "I will...", "I want to...", or something else? I don't remember if it said specifically how to say them in the book, or if it even matters.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #206  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Yesterday was too busy for a Sunday...left me wondering why a required meeting was not planned better. I ate unplanned crackers in addition to the snack I brought, but didn't have one cookie. Today...another average day. Meals were OP but I snacked yet stopped. *credits* today..
~getting to a 7am aerobics
~pitching some half and half from the freezer instead of adding it's liquid calories to skim milk chowder
~slicing and baking only the allotted amount of bread
~leaving soup in the pot even when it could have fit in the bowl-told DH to eat it or I'd pitch it.

I'm extra tired and am going to read from my pink book(in bed). I don't have a proverbial ounce of energy left tonight.

BillBlueEyes, *credit* for effective container elimination.
onebyone, sorry to hear you had such a crummy day. *credit* for an OP dinner.
CeeJay, hope you are home soon.
FutureFitChick, I hope your night is more rejuvenating and that you got some work done on your project.
ChefJoona, nice that your mom is starting Beck. I didn't watch the Golden Globes. Hope you enjoyed your day off.
maryblu, thanks for the answer. *credit* for taking advantage of a new shovel for planned exercise.
Shepherdess,always great to get confirmation that exercise makes one feel better!
gardenerjoy, congrats for a good number following your Spa Day.
Cindy(M0vingon), your idea of writing some new cards might really help. Dr. Beck suggests trying several things if the scale isn't moving. It's covered on Day 38 in the pink book-but is lowering your cals. by 200/day and adding 15-20 min. of exercise. I just try and remember that stress can influence the scale, too.
grouse, glad to hear you're getting back on track with a check list. I don't add and "I will" or "I want to". I don't remember what the book says, either.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:08 AM   #207  

S/C/G: 168/ticker/155

Height: 5'7"

Here I am!! I'm surprising myself by checking in here; no matter what I do I can't seem to get the email subscription to work. I need a card that says "check in online"!

Credits
-WI: 165.4
-ate OP today
-yoga this morning
-made a food and exercise plan for tomorrow
-checking in
-read my cards

I will start on yet another thyroid medication in a few days. Doctor says I will most likely not notice a difference (we're looking for fatigue relief) for many weeks, if then. Ugh. But I must keep plugging away.

I PLAN to be here tomorrow!!

Marci
Old 01-18-2011, 05:38 AM   #208  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - (But feels like Monday)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - De-cluttered four (as in 4.0, or, for you geeks, 0B100) very old computers with monitors, keyboards, and components to the curb and watched them picked up within the hour by some guy in a pickup. Happy new life old computers. It's embarrassing to have to admit that the clunkers remained so long. The key issue was to realize that I could pull the hard drives and dump them to DVDs as a separate activity, so what remains is four small hard drives, which may or may not work anyway. Big CREDIT moi.

Gym was gym; CREDIT moi. Saw a guy with an outstanding upper body and felt a twinge of why-can't-I-be-there; Oh Well.

maryblu - Your push then toss technique sounds efficient; I do something similar with my large shovel because I like to plant my feet and do the tossing from one spot where I can concentrate on my posture to keep from killing my back. Love "spring's acomin'"

onebyone - Ouch for the delayed response to stress, with Kudos for checking in when you might not have felt like it.

FutureFitChick - Yay for relieving stress by getting work done on the project - I sometimes think of eating first, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - LOL at "I followed my food plan and my weight went down" - I'll bet you could never sell that idea in a book because it's not complicated enough.

Shepherdess - Kudos for doing the strength workout when the Sabotaging Thoughts were at work.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - It's impressive to me that you "told DH to eat it or I'd pitch it." Hoping to get there myself.

Marci (madrikh) - Ouch for having to start a medication on faith that you'll see relief in a few weeks. Cheering you on from here.

grouse - Yep, "I DO need to and I DO care." I read the most condensed version possible for my cards - I just want their emotional hit. YMMV.

Cindy (M0vingon) - It's worked for me to continuously re-wicker my cards - I quickly find that some no longer seem relevant and others now seem to be the most important.

ChefJoona - Neat that you'll have your mom as a local Diet Buddy.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1
How the Program Works

That is where Cognitive Therapy (sometimes called Cognitive Behavior Therapy) comes in. It is the most highly researched and effective form of talk therapy in the world. You will learn a powerful set of psychological tools that will enable you to stick to your healthy eating plan, no matter what. You will learn how to talk back to you inner saboteur, that voice that says:
It's okay [to stray from my diet] because ... I'm stressed ... I'm celebrating ... I'm tired ... I'm busy ... I really want it ... everyone else is eating it ... it's free ... it's only a little piece ... I deserve it ... it's a special occasion ... it won't matter ... I hardly ever get to have it ... I'll make up for it later.
The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 16.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:46 AM   #209  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Up early this morning, as I am changing my schedule and now working four long days a week, in stead of 5 regular days. It will take a bit of adjusting to. I haven't been an early morning person since before college.

I fit in some exercise yesterday! A 1/2 hour walk! Stayed pretty much on-plan for eating. The after dinner snacking was even under control!

Maryblu I can feel myself almost get to what you call "the zone". There are definite days, and times of the day where I am much less focused on food and I am able to eat just what is planned, or a bit less. It's mostly the evening time where this is a challenge, but I see it getting better.

Today might include a celebratory gathering for a friend that just got engaged... DANGER! I will approach it with focus and resolve!

Wishes for a great day to you all!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #210  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good Morning everyone,
I am still struggling with time on this site. I end up reading all this great info and then my time is up and I haven't even posted. I am not sure what the answer is for myself.
I do hope everyone is doing well.

Onebyone- Don't give up, this too shall pass. I can only imagine how difficult it would be with everything going on in your life. I know that if we were in your shoes you would offer kind thoughts and encouragement to us. Hugs to you. Take good care of yourself.

Bill - it feels so good to get rid of things such as old computers, etc. I know as I am de cluttering it overwhelms me as well as once I take the bags/boxes away I get a sense of relief.

Marci- I can't seem to get the email subscription to work. Thanks for the suggestion of a card, mine should say post and get off the computer. lol

ChefJoona - Good luck with your new schedule. I hope the transition is not a difficult one.

Grouse- congrats for being back on track

Maryblu- shoveling is such a fun exercise at our house, we are out there as a family and my son builds snow forts and we end up shoveling more than we needed to.

FutureFitChick - I hope you get a better sleep. Nightmares are so awful.

Joy - Congratulations on following your food plan and having your weight go down when you do.

Shepherdess - Your butternut squash recipe sounds yummy

Debbie -I need to try the eat it or pitch it exercise. I am not sure I would be able to pitch it, I will have to practice.

CeeJay- Congrats on the loss.

Hello to anyone I missed. I hope everyone has a wonderful day. It is warmer here which makes walking much nicer.
Take Care
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 01-18-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Closed Thread