Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #121  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

My word count went over 20,000 today for NaNoWriMo -- which is right where it needs to be to get to 50,000 at the end of the month. Yay!

I had a peanut butter and mayo sandwich (that's really mostly yogurt cheese but don't tell my inner child that) for lunch yesterday and it was yummy. As soon as I finished it, I wanted another. But I ate my salad and apple instead. Gradually through the day yesterday, the craving decreased and it's gone today. What a relief!

WI: +0.6kg, Exercise: +50 485/1350 minutes for November, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, country kitty and redy4chng and deelee10!

redy4chng: I started with the green book even though I ignored the diet for several months and did my own thing. I eventually did try and enjoy that diet, but I'm now on to something else. For me, exchange plans are the easiest to follow. I'm not very good about measuring and doing things precisely -- I do have to count something, though, just eating healthily didn't do the trick for me (I am quite as capable of overeating healthy food as I am unhealthy food).

Hello to everyone else and thanks for being here -- I read and learn from all your posts even when I don't respond.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'3"

I'm not pleased that I binged this morning. I made some bad choices about my breakfast as a means to "reward" myself. I "celebrated" that I made it to Friday during my work week. Not a "true reward".

But, I give myself credit for eating a salad with the rest of my lunch and not buying a soda.

My journey continues.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 235/212/170

Height: 5'10"

Thanks for the kind welcomes everyone! I heard about the books on a radio program, and the "head" focus really appealed to me! I know how to eat healthily, I just need help to actually follow through and not sabotage myself! I found the forum by Googling "beck diet forum coach" because I was feeling like the coaching/accountability is an important part of this, and I want to do it right! I just don't have anyone in my life right now who could fit this role properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
country kitty

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you hear about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 11-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the warm welcome. I found the thread when going through the daily posts about a week ago. The title of the thread, "The Day the Halloween Candy Goes On Sale" got my attention. I hadn't even heard about the Beck Program before which is surprising considering the number of years I've been dieting!

Last edited by deelee10; 11-12-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Hello, Beckmates

Hi to all. As I catch up and speed read posts, it seems to have been a busy and emotional few days for all, and awash with new Beckmates!! Welcome, all. I look forward to learning from and sharing with my new coaches.

I had a brief time off this week, so headed out for a cuppla days. I am a bit puzzled why I should get a paid holiday for Veteran's Day, as I am not a Vet. My daddy was; he served in WWII, but I am not a Veteran. Not at all comfortable with getting the day off with pay. I should have to work on Nov. 11 and my pay should go to the VA. I am serious as a heart attack about this. And, yes, I find ways to contribute to the VA, but *still. I don't get it...

redy4chng...in answer to your question about coaches: I am fortunate to have my Beckmates as coaches on line in this public forum, but I am *blessed to have a PM Beck coach as well..all those *issues you don't want to air publicly, you get to talk about privately. I am very, very pleased to have such a relationship..it is different, and very helpful. I hope you find a way not to make your diet plan so difficult..Beck puts a diet plan in the green book, but it doesn't have to be a time consuming as all that. I *literally *lost *80 *pounds by eating what I wanted, exactly and only what I wanted, just less. It took over a yr. I lost 5 #s a month, only by eating less. It can be done, and it doesn't have to be time consuming or difficult, and the best part is, you eat exactly what you want. Whatever you decide, you can do it, you can make it work. Welcome, new Beck coach.

Great weekend, all!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #126  

Default thanks for the welcome & day 1 :)

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the super warm and fuzzy welcome!

To answer some questions: i came across the Beck Diet book when i was looking for some books to gift to a friend overseas; her sister sent me a long list including the Beck book. Although i settled on horror novels for my friend, i checked out the Beck book online and it looked interesting so i added it to my reading list. While cleaning up my reading list about 8 months later i stumbled on the title again and since i was looking for some way to regulate my diet since re-gaining about 10 lbs i lost over the summer, i thought it would be a great place to start.

i found the forum by googling 'beck diet buddy/coach' or something like that - since there was such a strong emphasis on this i was looking at peertrainer and this site also popped up on search results.

as for my day 1 in the initial stages of prep - since i started reading yesterday i have gotten past some initial resistance to such a comprehensive program which seemed like 'overkill' at first ... if it weren't for the fact that i kept seeing myself in Beck's description and identifying the causes of many of my bad habits and eating/thought patterns. i've started making my response cards, advantage list and collecting the necessary materials and continuing with my reading.

i've also been trying to generally eat better and not give in to the urge to 'eat whatever i want before i officially start the diet'. my small success: didn't give in to starbucks urge while on campus although everyone else in the meeting was drinking something yummy and sweet. even after my glasses got lost or stolen (who steals eye glasses??), i didn't give in to the urge for a treat to make myself steal better. 'credit moi' (is that what i should say?)

finally, a question: what is the exchange diet - a few people have mentioned it? what other types of diets are people on? any suggestions would be mucho appreciated!

r4c

Last edited by redy4chng; 11-12-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone:

Nature Girl-sorry for what you and your DD are going through. It is just so very very sad.

MinniePaul- I am not enjoying the dark either. Makes it hard to get in a daily walk (we are in the boonies and walking in the dark not so easy).

grouse- 4 pounds is fantastic. And 3 weeks without binging- you are on a roll!!!

Woodland- my suggestion for walnuts is pumpkin and walnuts in yogurt with some honey or a sugar free syrup. Yum.

redy4chng- welcome to you. I read the second book before the pink book. Both are good. I do not follow the green books diet- I made up my own eating plan. I am a fellow Canadian and a former Ottawa girl.

BillBlueEyes-yay for skipping the oatmeal raisin cookies one day and croutons the next.

onebyone- I think I will check out the 50 Ways to Comfort Yourself without Using Food book. Sounds very interesting. I am also concentrating hard on not eating sugar- just such a trigger for me.

maryann- another pound gone is awesome news.

Lexxiss-waving hello and thanks for the good wishes.

Beverlyjoy- the slides your dad took must be incredible. Hopefully others will be able to see them some day. Congratulations on all your credits!!!

gardenerjoy- credit for taking the time to figure out the craving. But peanut butter and mayo? Sounds frightful. LOL.

julzchiki- just say oh well to the binge. Just move on and don't look back.

country kitty-welcome and yay for getting back on track.

deelee10- hi to you. Congratulations for one pound gone.

For me:

First off, a big thank you all for your kind comments about yesterday.

Today I am happily on plan. Credit for:

weighing in
walking 30 minutes with DH
meditating 15 minutes
eating healthy and on plan
checking in with my coaches

Old 11-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #128  
KAM

S/C/G: 163/154.5/133

Height: 5'4"

Default Week in Review

Hello My Beck Buddies!

What a week it has been! I am looking forward to a nice weekend without a bunch of commitments, running DD here and there ((19 days until her driver's license test). And to catch up with all of you.

I hope you had a good week…..

Welcome to all the new coaches/buddies. You’ve come to a great place for inspiration and motivation.

Here is my week in review. I am quite pleased with myself as past habits would have me throwing the towel in after not tracking points, but I still wrote down every morsel I ate and I really made exercising a priority. Baby steps toward better habits!

Exercise = 4.75 hours
Activity Points Earned = 29
Weekly Points = Appx 35? Did not measure wine on weekend
Weight lost = 1 pound

KAM
Old 11-13-2010, 07:02 AM   #129  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A bonus came from my prior day meeting. The leader asked us to take the left over food. I grabbed a salad with chicken and a veggie wrap. The uber lean guy grabbed the remaining cookies, with an engineer-getting-free-food grin. So for lunch yesterday, I ate the grilled veggies out of the veggie wrap along with the salad; CREDIT moi. Might have been the best grilled veggies I've ever had - huge portobello mushrooms, yellow bell peppers, and red onions. Skipping the wrap was easy since I'd just done that recently.

Exercise was limited to walking across Boston Common on our way to hear Tosca sung last night; CREDIT moi for the walking. It was a standing ovation performance. Good news is that, once again, Tosca kills the evil Scarpia to save her virtue. Bad news is that, once again, the fake execution is itself faked - a double double cross - and Cavaradossi is actually shot. Once again, Tosca leaps to her death, only after moving the audience to tears with her voice. Young folks in love can get themselves in bad situations, LOL.

maryblu - A few years back my company figured out that we had experienced vacation day creep, so Veteran's Day was dropped and I celebrate it at my desk at work.

onebyone - Eight Kudos for "8 bags of garbage out the door this week" - that's making moving sound real.

CeeJay - Yay for continuing to walk with your DH - having a good companion makes exercise such a joy.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats on 40% of your words in 40% of the days. You'd appreciate that a high school kid wrote a review on Amazon: "So boring - 100 pages just to catch one fish."

"He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish." - [Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea (1952)]

Beverlyjoy - Yay for a much improved sore back. Drooling over spicy chili.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for the library during snacking hours. [Thanks for "some kind of hydrogenated reconstituted fat" - maybe that thought will help keep me away from restaurant croutons.]

julzchiki - Yep, Kudos for "My journey continues" - the great thing is to get up and keep going.

maryann - It's a big deal to ask for something; Kudos for your persistence finishing all your MFA applications. Hope that you are able to wait calmly for the responses.

KAM (McKt) - Such a big milestone, "19 days until her driver's license test" - Yay for the agony and the ecstasy of a DD with a driver's license. Great reminder, "Baby steps toward better habits!"

country kitty - It was the "head" focus that appealed to me also. Seems so obvious that food was easy to figure out but the old neurons weren't.

redy4chng - Great start - not giving in to the need for a Starbucks sugar treat; Kudos. Yep, 42 days of strategies does initially seem like 'overkill' - but it works to nibble forward one day at a time. They begin to feel like a whole rather that so many separate things.

Re diets: My own eating plan is home grown 3 meals and 3 snacks that are portion controlled. Works for me. I googled exchange diet because I was curious also, but will wait to see if one of its practitioners answers that question.

deelee10 - Yay for the only good thing that's been attributed to Halloween Candy, LOL. I, too, am surprised that the Beck program isn't grabbed by everyone. It could be because it's so difficult to believe that something so simple can be so powerful.

Readers -
Quote:
day 42
Practice, Practice, Practice
reminders to think thin

. . .
If you think ... Even though I've finished everything on my plate, I want to keep eating. I like feeling full.
Remind yourself ... Trying to become overly full is a habit that is likely to lead to weight gain. I need to stop when the food I've planned to eat is gone. My hunger will subside within 20 minutes.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 267.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-13-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #130  

'Lo, Beckmates, am reading and catching up on the month of posts, so will undoubtedly just post blurbs here and there.

Thanks, Grouse, for this:

"I used to never really give myself credit for avoiding binging or eating normally. I thought it was something that I should always do anyway, so there was no reason to praise myself for doing what I was supposed to do. It really stood out to me in the book on day 4 where it talks about how you DO deserve credit because you're not naturally thin. That's something that's different this time and it's helping."

Boy, does that *nail it for me. I am OK accepting compliments about my loss, and feel great about that myself, but the day to day stuff that got me there, I just accepted and took for granted..therefore am struggling now to get that behavior groove, zone *back. Plus, I am still in denial that I *have to do it..that I have to practice Beck behavior consistently. No choice.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #131  
Green Tomatoes

I've already exercised this morning, but I'll wait until tomorrow to add it to my exercise numbers as I normally do. I'm pleased to be on track with my exercise minutes as well as my word count now -- that was a bit difficult earlier in the month but I seem to be in the swing of things now.

WI: -0.25kg, Exercise: +50 535/1350 minutes for November, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

redy4chng: exchange diets are ones where you are allowed so many servings of carbs, so many of proteins, etc. Within one category, you can make exchanges that are equivalent. For example, 1 slice of bread or a third of a cup of rice would both be considered one carb exchange. Most diabetics, at least in the U.S., are given exchange diets. The U.S. food pyramid is based on exchanges. The old Weight Watchers programs were exchange plans, but the current point-counting scheme is more the equivalent of calorie counting. I considered the Beck diet in the green book to be an exchange plan augmented by calorie counting. I'm currently using Richard Simmons Food Mover which is a gadget that lets me close windows to indicate that I have eaten two carb exchanges today, leaving open two more windows for the rest of my carb exchanges.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #132  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Welcome, Saturday. I can't believe it but I moved another two pounds down the scale. I am reminded of the story in the pink book of the the gal who couldn't believe the scale was going down. After YEARS of trying, the loss she was seeing must be magic, or temporary or a fluke. This caused me to write my favorite respone card, "Believe it. I'm losing weight because I have learned how to. It is a direct result of my EFFORT." Spent all day yesterday treating myself to a microdermabrsion treatment and 5 hours in a fabulous consignment store. I brought terrifc stuff and came home and emptied my closet of the last "large" clothes. I am not going back.
Country Kitty: I have found this site perfect for use as a diet coach. I am honest and accountable. I have lots of close friends but I want some place to talk freely, focusing on BECk and not worrying about hurting other's peole's feelings.
Redy4chang: I am on the zone. It is an exchange program. You eat one protein block, one carb block and one fat block everytime you eat so you keep a constant insulin level and never get hungry. It has been the only thing I have been able to keep to in my 35 years of dieting. It amazes me how little food I eat and still do not get hungry.
julzchiki: writing honestly about eating behavior bad or good will always help.
Ceejay: I like looking at your to do list. It reminds me about my own habits
McKT: journaling food is my least favorite thing to do but I think it has probably been my most helpful tool.
Mary blu: thanks for the reminder on not taking anything for granted.
Lexxiss: I am with you - no choice on exercise. I am off as soon as I finish this entry.
Beverlyjoy: I hear "left a bite of everything" I might try that.
gardernerjoy: The craving battle is a tough one. Cerdit for waiting the monster out
BBE: I have applied to a school in Mass. Maybe I'll be walking across the Boston Commons at one point - exciting.

Last edited by maryann; 11-13-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I’d better get back to posting before November completely gets away from me. I’m still madly trying to catch up after getting back from vacation. The WY Women in Ag annual symposium was the day after I got home and I had a table to get ready for it. It’s shocking that I should come home from vacation and have to work! It was a great event; I just wish I had my head on a little straighter for it.

As far as the vacation, I had a great time. I spent a week on Kauai with my parents and then 2 days in Honolulu with some friends of ours. We kept active, lots of walking, some hiking and swimming. I’ve decided that I want to come back in my next life as some ocean creature. It was pretty exciting to feel confident in a bathing suit (or as close to confident as I will ever get). We had one very cool hike one day with an amazing view of the Nepali coastline. It wasn’t much of a cardio vascular workout, since it was muddy, slick and steep. But it was great for agility! After many near misses, I finally had one good slip and fall on my butt. My mom was a good sport, hiking about ¾ of a mile in until she came to a very steep hill she decided she didn’t want to go back down. She is 66, so I think she gets a break.

My parents are watching what they eat, since my father is diabetic and trying to keep it under control so he won’t have to go in insulin. A good incentive for me to watch my diet and weight, since diabetes runs heavy on his side of the family. So we tended to eat 2 small meals and splurge at one meal. The gastronomic highlight was ramubtans we bought at a roadside stand. My family acquired a taste for this exotic fruit when we lived in Thailand (I was just a baby). They’re very hard to find, but so good when ripe! I got my reward when I came home and stepped on the scale to find I’d maintained my weight.

It’s good to be home, though I’m a little sad to put away the flip flops and shorts. We’ve had on and off snow since I’ve been home. Also, I had to come home to an empty house. DH is in Ecuador and will not be home until the 18th. We don’t normally do this separate trip thing, but he had his trip as part of a program he’s in. My parents were heading to Hawaii and it seemed like a good idea that I get a fun trip as well. We tried to schedule them at the same time, but it just wasn’t going to work out. So for 5 more days, it’s just me and the dog (and the sheep).

Just a few personals today, since I’m still trying to catch up. Welcome to all those new to this forum. The support of this community has been so helpful to me and I look forward to getting to know each of you.

Gardenerjoy, yay for being almost ½ done with your NaNoWriMo! It’s such a cool thing and it’s inspiring how you’re keeping up your program while doing it.

Beverlyjoy, hugs while you’re still dealing with injuries and facing your surgery. I’m impressed with how well you are handling your eating during all this stress.

Onebyone, it’s great to see you back here! Great job getting back on that wagon and keeping it simple.

CeeJay, it looks like you’ve had a great winning streak! If you were a football team, I’d be betting on you for the SuperBowl!

BillBE, thank you for the play-by-play of Tosca! I was thinking of your good example of keeping up with posting on vacations. Somehow I could only bring myself to check my work e-mail (and only do the bare minimum at that). I didn’t want to cut into precious beach time.

Maryblu, congrats on seeing results for all your hard efforts and for taking credit for them! I appreciated your descriptions of the MN night sky.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #134  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Becksters - yesterday was a good food day. I am always grateful for that. I did many of my Beck tasks. I did my meditation at 3 am last night. So, I don't know if it counts for today or yesterday. LOL.

Surgery is less than three weeks away - I am hoping Prince (foot formerly known as the good foot) heals by then. One moment I feel hopeful and the next not so much. I will carry on and do what I need to do and try my best to make it happen. Time will tell.

DH has gone with his cousin to the local college football game. Tonight we are all getting together for pizza and subs. I'll get 1/2 sub with turkey, mustard, letttuce and tomato.

Shepardess - I am so glad you posted. I hope you had a good visit with your family. YAY for seeing the scale go down.

I'll try to come back for personals later. Have a good day, friends.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #135  

Default Roflmao

Beverlyjoy, stroke of genius naming the foot formerly known as the good foot Prince! Thanks for the belly laff! That sense of humor will sustain you..of that, I am sure. :-)
Closed Thread