Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Just started the workbook

Hi all! I stumbled on this group while wandering around 3FC. I had never heard of Judith Beck before. The "behavioral" approach sounds like such a good idea. After reading some of your posts I got so inspired that I ordered the workbook and the "green book".

I wanted to explain my avatar. No I don't really have black polka dotted wings We have a couple of pet starlings (rescued as chicks and can't live in the wild). It's very challenging to take good care of them. They need a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables along with their healthy proteins. Given a choice they would eat junk food (just try to eat a popsicle when they're flying around!) They have to get exercise or they get bored and depressed. Also they have to get good sleep or they start to molt their feathers! We work really hard to take care of them.

I realized, geez, if I took care of myself like I took care of the birdies.... wow! ... But that's a lot of new habits and behaviors.

Looking forward to getting to know y'all, and giving and getting support.
Starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Height: 5'5"

Hello, Starling,

I am new to this forum, as well, and have been trying to seriously implement the Beck Diet for about a week. It's been much harder than I expected! But I am learning so much about myself.

Great stories about the starlings! I have an immense fondness for birds. I have 3 dogs and 2 cats.

I'll be using this forum for support, but I'm also looking for a more personal Diet Buddy. Let me know if you're interested.

Be well!
MaryContrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #3  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Hi guys, Welcome to the Beck Forum.

Most posters tend to read and post on the monthly thread, so that's where you're likely to get responses.

Starling - Super neat that you're actually hand raising Starlings. I know them to be smart birds, so I imagine you have a handful trying to keep ahead of them. When we go birding, we sneer at them of course - they're smart enough to be invasive competitors to the other birds - but always have to admire their beauty.

MaryContrary - Yep, "It's been much harder than I expected!" BTDT. The utter simplicity of Cognitive Behavior Therapy turned me off at first. Especially the part about give yourself credit, eat sitting down, and plan your meals in advance. Of course, after finding it difficult, I've had to re-evaluate my prejudice that simplicity meant easy, or without value.

I hope both of you find your way over to the monthly thread so that others can respond. Just jump right in; it does look intimidating, but you don't do personal responses immediately - you just post and get to know people. Then, when you're ready, you can start with a few personal responses. It's uber overwhelming if you try to do it all at once.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello New Beck Women

I'm travelling today and thanks to Beck Diet Solution, resisted cookies AND pizza. Working this program is really helping me to create some new and healthy habits. I've been dieting for quite some time and am kind of inching into maintenance. Sometimes personals are still a bit daunting, but I find I really learn alot from the others here.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Mary Contrary
Quote:
I'll be using this forum for support, but I'm also looking for a more personal Diet Buddy. Let me know if you're interested.
That would be great! I'm looking forward to working with the group but I benefit a lot from one-on-one conversations as well. I'm not sure how to do that at this point you have to have been here 20 days and have 20 posts before you can PM.

BillBlueEyes
Quote:
When we go birding, we sneer at them of course - they're smart enough to be invasive competitors to the other birds - but always have to admire their beauty.
Yup, they're nasty invasives...but they're very nice as individuals. We have 4 and each has a different personality. 3 of the 4 can talk, too! Diet-wise they're really interesting. If you goof up on the nutrition you can see the results in a matter of weeks. It has made me think twice about what I'm doing to my own body (though I'm sure with humans the damage takes a lot longer to be visible).

Quote:
Just jump right in; it does look intimidating
Yup

Lexxiss
Quote:
I've been dieting for quite some time and am kind of inching into maintenance.
It's so helpful to hear from people who've lost and maintained. Even though logically I know it's possible, emotionally I have trouble believing it's something I'll be able to do.

OK, over to the monthly thread!
Starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I've had the notebook for months now and haven't gotten very far on it. I really should buckle down and do it.

I also have The Food and Feelings Workbook: A Full Course Meal on Emotional Health by Karen R. Koenig that I haven't gotten very far with it either.

I guess I don't want to confront the reasons why I overeat.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote