Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #181  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Hey guys! ive been invited to join by BillieBlue, i hope thats ok!
Im currently just starting the Beck diet solution, and am working on 4 key things:
SITTING DOWN TO EAT (hard!)
Reading my advantages/response cards
giving myslef credit (hard!)
im technically on day 4, but im giong to skip a few days, only because ive already got a food plan/prepared my home/looking for a diet buddy/developed exercise, etc.

Im giving myself time however, to try and instill the sitting down to eat thing. i am SUCH A GRAZER. In her book, judith mentioned if we were to take all the food we grazed on and lay it out on the table, wed be AMAZED by how much it is!
i believe it
anyway, hoping to find support and accountability here
Old 08-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #182  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

I am going to dub Mondays as the GF baking frenzy day! Not one but BOTH of my gluten-free co-workers baked cupcakes and brought them yesterday. I didn't know they BOTH did (and they didn't know they both did, lol), so when the first brought hers, I enjoyed it with a cup of coffee. When she walked past to go back to her desk, she brought one that the other lady baked. So, new plan for Mondays. I will only SAMPLE what someone brings in. If no other goodies appear, I may or may not enjoy the rest. If BOTH bring in, I will sample a little of each and discretely throw the rest away. That's my plan.

I had to throw away one of the Belgium chocolates...there were three left. I ate two, and the inner voice was saying...there's only one more, just eat it. So, in the trash it went. Wish I'd done that after the first one. Oh well. Lesson learned. Fortunately they were not large.

My muscles were quite sore by the end of the day, but the walking helped to keep them from getting too sore, and fortunately I had a project that kept me walking up and down the stairs or down the hall to one or the the other color printer.

Someone mentioned the all or nothing thinking...that really hasn't been a big problem for me in quite some time, but in the last two days it's really come back with a vengence. It just reinforces that I will always have to be diligent...it is just too easy to slip backwards for me.

I did one hour of Walk it Out. Today I'm in the mood for step aerobics, so I will plan for that.

Alma4343 Yay, major credit for "looking forward to being on track all this week"! Again, I say YAY, lol! And, "I really don't think the food was worth the anxiety I am feeling now." Yes, it is so very true isn't it?! Glad you had a good time!

MorganleFay I think I may try the epsom salt bath you suggested this evening...muscles are still sore today!

AmberPr Ouch on the standing/eating. Wow, yes indeed, I hope that bear stays scared of dogs!

BillBlueEyes LOL! Our fourth quandrant is leased out to a subtenant, so it's a no-go area for us.

Ruthxxx Glad you pop in once in a while! No need to feel guilty, but glad the book is back on your reading table.

newbebop Very nice list of credits!

gardenerjoy Glad the yoga helped. I have not seemed to "bond" with yoga, lol. I know it would be so beneficial for me, especially with the tight muscles in my neck from the arthritis, but I just can't seem to make myself do it. Perhaps I should try to find a beginner class so someone can show me the correct way...I have videos but it hurts when I do them so I think I must not have correct form.

Hope your new plan is the one!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #183  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Hey guys, last day this week of work for me. Tomorrow starts vacation until next Tuesday! And tomorrow is shopping for 60 people for 3 days.......then coming home and organizing everything into individual meal ingredients, getting them packed into coolers and boxes and into the trailor to leave the next morning. WHEW!

Doing well with NO stand up eating, and NO eating without planned meals, for over a week now. We eat two meals a day and a snack of berries and coconut milk, and one square of 82% chocolate at night. This is working out great, so satisfied and not thinking about any other eating. I would say that I dont think I have ever been in this situation before, I have never allowed myself enough fat and protien to feel full and not having that nagging hunger that makes me forage like a bear.

Newbebop--if you need some squash recipes I would love to help you out. I remember a cartoon a long time ago. Showed an older man buting some zucchini at the grocery store. Caption said "Man who buy squash in summer is man with no friends"

onebyone--garlic festival sounds like so much fun, I cook with tons of it! I made garlic jelly this summer, yum

OHH shoot I wanted to get personals posted but work is calling loudly~

Last edited by Mikkijoe; 08-17-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #184  

S/C/G: 168/ticker/155

Height: 5'7"

Hey everyone,
Thanks for the ideas on moving on before I've reached perfection with each new Beck tool. I have obsessive issues, so can often feel like it's not good enough until it's perfect.

Yesterday/ credits:
ate on plan
exercised on plan
no emotional eating
read in my workbook

Newbebop: I do like the pink workbook; it's just right for me as my summer has been quite chaotic. I had read about 1/2 the green book before starting the workbook.

Tomorrow it's off to the beach and unknown food territory. I so don't want to gain any weight back. I will read my response!!

Marci
Old 08-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #185  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Back from camping and having a hard time getting back into the swing of work! Getting up at 5:30 again for my long commute is a real pain after a weekend of going to bed fairly early, sleeping myself out, and waking up to bird song.

Planned lots of yummy lower-carb meals, and had no real problems with eating. Had my planned one pancake and planned beans with my hot dog, and everything else was low-carb. Enjoyed my square of dark chocolate as the kids made s'mores. Did a bit of swimming. My big achievement is that I was able to hike three miles... not the whole five miles around the lake, but more than half-way! And I am definitely getting stronger... I was able to do much more lugging and moving of stuff during both set-up and take-down than I have done before.

I had a great weekend!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #186  

S/C/G: 140/134.5/120

Height: 5'5"

Howdy Becksters!

I did it...I was able to conquor the cravings last night! I wanted a spoonful of peanut butter so bad I could cry - but nope - I resisted! I ended up drinking about three bottles of water flavored with crystal light, but it worked! I think maryblu's reminder that Judith Beck eats carrots while cooking really helped. Thanks!

I went down a pound this morning...I guess I just needed that extra "je ne sais quois" to get the scale moving.

No time for personals today...almost 5 and gotta run. I got caught up in a political debate online (REALLY boring day at work today) and realized I didn't post here yet. See you all tomorrow!
Old 08-17-2010, 10:28 PM   #187  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Just a quick one!

Hello everyone -

Weather has cooled off to the high 50's in the a.m. Felt motivated to try some jogging! I didn't go too far, but I sure did get my heart rate up!

Felt like mixing it up a little today and tried cutting back on some of my calories. Had a protien shake for breakfast and one for dinner (sandwich for lunch). That worked o.k., but I ended up needing a snack tonight and since I hadn't planned it, I started to graze... Lesson? I need a snack after dinner if all I'm gonna have is a protein shake!

Fellow travelers, what works best for you to stay on track?
I hit the road tomorrow for two days. For my trip I'm gonna:
  1. have a light breakfast, because...
  2. pack a bag of healthy, munching snacks for the 2.5 hour drive
  3. Have a salad w/protien for lunch
  4. some nuts for an afternoon snack
  5. Here's where I fall off the wagon. Dinner. Do you do another salad?
Well, I'll check back before dinner tomorrow and see what you have for suggestions!

Have a good night,
Amber
Old 08-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #188  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Computerless wednesday

Jut a quick check in Beckies. I won't have my computer back until tomorrow and this is difficult on my phone.

I am on plan every second day it seems so need to get on track this weekend. I will shop for the new plan on Friday and get started.

Credits: I exercised yesterday and have increased incidental exercise, I weighed myself, and have tried to eat mindfully

Have a good day

Cheryl
Old 08-18-2010, 06:10 AM   #189  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

I am home from a very nice 2 1/2 days. Humans and doggies all got along great and food was very healthy and enjoyable. My task today is to integrate back into my routine. I read posts last night and will hopefully get back later.

Amber, safe travels. I find dinners to be quite easy on the road. I just look for a healthy protein then ask if they can do a little substituting. I don't eat white rice or potato and they will usually substitute extra veggie or salad.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #190  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome mkroyer

mkroyer

And, in case you didn't get one of these a year ago,

How did you happen to find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you happen to notice the Beck Forum here on 3FC?
Old 08-18-2010, 06:38 AM   #191  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Super victory. At Fenway Park last night (American baseball, for those of the wicket mentality) I ate not a single kernel of kettle corn, nor of pop corn, nor a single peanut. CREDIT moi. In fact, nothing passed my lips during the whole game. And, the Red Sox won 6-0, perhaps suggesting that if I curtail recreational eating, my favorite team might make the playoffs, LOL. I'm dancing because the last time I went I OD'd on peanuts and the time before that I OD'd on kettle corn. Once I start eating from an open bag, my concept of a portion vanishes.

Exercise was a long walk to the subway after the game - in the cool evening air. Boston is a fun city at night. At 11pm cafe's are bustling with outdoor tables and many stores are open.

maryblu - Waving. Just play ball or don't play ball already. I shouldn't have to read the flight plan from Mississippi to Minnesota as sports news!

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Wishing you good luck finding the balance in your eating plan; don't have any easy answers to offer.

Ruth (Ruthxxx) - Ouch for a "debilitating" day - so glad you've recovered. Sending permission to read or not read Beck as is your want without guilt. Us "Becksters" aren't going away.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Yay for eating mindfully. Hope your computer returns in good health.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Glad that you had a couple of days out of your routine.

Donna (new2me2) - LOL at your gluten free baking day - apparently GF baking is contagious. Kudos for tossing that Belgium chocolate.

Houston2Command - Kudos for "back on track as of last night" - the overload of a working, single mom is real. You're on the right track by grousing a bit with your Coaches/Buddies, and then heading right back, in Martha Stewart style, to cleaning your house in high heals, LOL.

Amber (AmberPr) - "high 50's" doesn't sound like summer to me. Kudos for continuing to tweak your eating plan. Re: "Do you do another salad?" Oh yes, I wish I'd get over my inhibitions and have salad for breakfast also.

Mikkijoe - Yay for "vacation until next Tuesday" - Monster Ouch for preparing food for 60 people for that time. ($1000 worth of groceries, you had written.) Kudos for finding the right eating plan that you can avoid "that nagging hunger that makes me forage like a bear" - bears are big on the Beck thread lately.

synger - Waking up to the sounds of birds - what a good life. Congrats on your improving physical stuff.

MorganleFay - Yep, no calories in "je ne sais quois" - Kudos for standing down that peanut butter craving.

newbebop - Kudos for "experimenting with new flavors" - it's one of my favorite notions that we don't give up foods on our new journeys, we adopt exciting new foods and the old one's just drop out of our lives.

Marci (madrikh) - Don't we all get stuck in that need to be perfect. Thanks for bringing that up.

mkroyer - Yep, it's OK to join right in. This "GRAZING" thing is a prime target to dislodge. It's a silent killer, all right. Kudos for recognizing it and challenging it face-to-face. Thanks for the Judith Beck image of laying all our grazing food out on the table. I need that image the next time I'm thinking of reaching into an open bag of kettle corn.

Readers -
Quote:
day 34
Solve Problems

You Can't Solve Every Problem

Whether or not you've drawn unrealistic conclusions, though, make sure to seek support. You need to talk to other people. Ask them to listen. Tell them what they can do to help in practical ways. For example, they might have some idea of what you can do to make your life better, given these uncontrollable circumstances. If you find that you're still having a hard time dealing with your feelings, consider seeking help from a mental-health professional or spiritual adviser. Reach out.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 234.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:57 AM   #192  
Green Tomatoes

We're off to volunteer after missing a couple of weeks. The ragweed pollen count shot up a couple of days ago and I've been having a rough time of it since. Last night, it was difficult to sleep. Hopefully, I'll be tired enough to remedy that this evening. In the meantime, my mantra is "eating does not fix tired."

WI: +0.25kg, Exercise: +75 1035/1800 minutes for August, Food: 85%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

AmberPR: I often will do a second salad with protein for supper. My plan allows a few carbs, so I will sometimes do a side salad, a grilled chicken sandwich (usually leaving half the bread on the plate). If available, I would get a side of fruit or hot veggies with that. If neither of those are going to work, I just focus on ordering veggies, and will often leave behind half or more of the starch and half or less of the protein.

Welcome, mkroyer! I've noticed your posts in other areas of 3FC -- great to see you here.

Greetings to all!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #193  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckfolks - friends - Life has been so challenging. The ulcers on my tummy and thigh are finally responding to a new medicine. I have dealt with the stress, pain and uncertainty with food. I really need to crawl out of this mountain of food around me. I've had a healthy breakfast

Seems like all I could manage to do at 3fc these last couple of weeks is my daily gratitudes.

I will try again today. Tomorrow I'll see the derm. to get the results of the culture and new biopsy. Did I tell you that my derm. asked if I had been to a third world country when he looks at my skin. Yikes.

I have no idea of when I'll have my surgery. I don't know when I will be able to get back to work - this is stressful too.

I must carry on with food sanity the best I can.

Today-
lots of water
fork down between bites
clock myself - 30 seconds between bites - this should help me 'think' about it
eat sitting only
plan, log, measure, count calories
arc/rc
give credit
use resistance techniques

Have a good day, friends.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 08-18-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #194  
finding herself

S/C/G: 241/226/175

Height: 5'7"

quick check in this morning. I won the exercise battle and took my walk this morning. It was a true test of strengthening my resistance muscle for sure. I was almost in a full argument in my head on why I should/should not go out today. lol. I think I will try the walk in the other direction later this week. I really want to start the couch to 5k program but the hills the way I usually go would surely kill me if I was trying to run it. I really need to have the treadmill fixed or replaced. I started this once before, a year or so ago and made it a few weeks in before it somehow it just stopped happening. I have always secretly wanted to be a runner. I don't know if my body and my knees are up for the challenge, but I am in the right frame of mind so maybe I can convince them. ;-)

Getting ready for bed last night I realized I hadn't written out my plan for today, and I am taking big credit for sitting down at the table and writing it out before I went to bed. I really want to make habits out of these new behaviors before I head back to school in 2 weeks. (I am a full time nursing student.) Early mornings and late nights and running kids the moments I am home will be a huge hurdle and I am trying to be as mentally prepared for it as I can.

Here's to a great day for all. Lets all give that resistance muscle a workout today.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #195  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Good morning all!

Phew, yesterday was a MUCH better day, lol. No gluten-free baking in sight!! Stuck to my plan, and all was well.

I did change my exercise plan though...I was totally out of the mood for step by the time I got home, so I did Zumba instead. The step required too much set up, and Zumba was right there in front, requiring no set up, so that was the choice. Next time I wake in the mood for a specific type of exercise, I think I'll do most of the set up before I leave the house in the morning, that way when I get home all I have to do is change my clothes and go. I soooo wish I could have a room dedicated to a home gym, lol. Today's goal is to repeat the weight workout I did on Sunday...my muscles are still a little sore, but MUCH better than yesterday, so I should be fine.

Mikkijoe Hope your packing is going well and that you have a great vacation!

madrikh Good for you for planning in advance for what to do at the beach!! Reading your response cards is a great idea.

synger Oh YAY for your 3 mile hike!!! I've had plantar fasciitis and I remember when I was finally able to do a little more walking--it was a huge deal!

MorganleFay Wow great job on resisting the peanut butter! That's a hard one for me!! Congratulations on your 1 pound loss!

AmberPr Re traveling...I find it really hard to plan food while traveling because one never really knows ahead of time what will be available, so on my last cruise, I allowed myself some freedom in what I ate--at that time I wasn't on a "plan" yet (just eating a bit lower in carbs), but tried to keep to two basic rules...only eat when I am hungry and only eat enough to take the hunger away. Those two things I can do anywhere with any food.

seadwaters I don't even know how you can do this on your phone, lol! Major credit to you for even trying!!

Lexxiss Welcome back!

mkroyer Hi and welcome!! Glad you've joined us!

BillBlueEyes Wow, no peanuts at Fenway park...indeed a major credit!! And, isn't it so true that portion size seems to disappear when eating from the package or bag!!!

gardenerjoy Great mantra!!!

Beverlyjoy Wow, wonder what the derm thinks you might have picked up in a 3rd world country!?

newbebop Oooh, I've had that same argument in my head! I hate it, lol. Good for you for getting out and walking!

Hello to everyone else!
Closed Thread