Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #181  

Height: 5'6

I started reading last night. I must say so far everything she talks about hits so true! I am already relieved that it's not just me, heh.

Thanks for the warm welcome and enjoy your day!
Old 07-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #182  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Thursday

Dear Friends

How was/is your Thursday? My highlight was Armenian lentil soup for lunch and tea. It has a lot of veg in it and dried apricots. I make it with chicken stock plus the bits of chicken from the carcass. If you're busy and if you love something and it's good for you, why not eat it twice in one day?

Plan & log food: Y

Weigh: Y though the scales are on the blink. I am a morning weigher but decided to check them tonight. +1lb after a bath and then, *bonus*, + another 1/2 after a short wait. Who knows how much I really weigh? Will buy a new battery tomorrow.

Read ARCs: YY

Eat all food sitting down: YYYYY
This is so powerful and it's going very well.

Slow, mindful eating: PPPPP
Y=yes N=no P=partly ?=can't decide
I'm still working on an internal perception scale for this.

Formal exercise: Y
30 mins treadmill; 20 mins yoga; rehab stretches

Informal exercise: Y
Parked at far end of car park

Give credit: YYYY
* I ate what I packed
* I went to the gymn
* I did some rehab exercises
* I got into bed early - even for me!

Post on 3FC or text friend: Y

Nuxmaga - no handy vending machines must save money, too!

Bill - "i/c the DB solo". I translate: in charge of the dear boy (10) all on my own as the school holidays have started & my partner (DB's father) was away for work.

Maryblu - it's just come to me that your loons are our great northern divers! How lovely! You lucky person. A splendid bird.

See you all tomorrow. Keep on
Old 07-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #183  

S/C/G: 214/183/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Hello Coaches and Buddies

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I had actually started a healthy eating plan prior to reading Beck. But, it is definitely helping me a lot. I am trying not to skip any of the steps. Do you put everything in a calendar? I am fortuante to have plenty of time to get the things I need done like shopping a cooking. I DO put workouts in my calendar. So, I was just wondering what you put in your planner/schedule/calendar. I use mine for both work and person, tried to put in the Beck stuff, but it seemed so crowed I don't want to miss anything.

Today's credits:
Ate sitting down
ate mindfully
formal exercise (spin class)
unplanned exercise - walked with a friend 3 miles
Have been on plan for 5 full days!

Have a great Friday!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:10 PM   #184  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Thank

Hi Everyone, Hope you had a great Thursday!

Today was 100% better then yesterday.
I wasn't feeling so crabby this morning. I had an eating plan and pretty much followed it. The scale even registered at 206 - which is great since it's been jumping up anD down all week. Must have been that rainy weather we had up here yesterday…

CREDITS
• Plan my meals in advance : yep
• Log calories : yep
• Check-in : yep
• Take my vitamins 2x a day: yep
• Read response and advantages cards : nope
• Weigh myself : yep
• Eat sitting down : yep
• Exercise twice a day : yep
• Always have water/tea ready to drink: nope
• Gave myself credit

New2me2 & Houston2Command:
Congratulations on your newest low weight!
That is so great!

Last edited by AmberPr; 07-15-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #185  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello!!

Back from 2 hotel nights. In a nutshell, did great on Tuesday, not so great on Wednesday and pretty well today . 2 out 3 I will take it at this point.

Credit today for:

doing weights
posting
reading response and advantage cards
eating sanely and on plan
planning tomorrow and packing up lunch.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:19 AM   #186  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Friday evening

Hi Coaches

I have noticed a bit of sticking the finger in my bottle of peanut butter happening - not something you put in your plan as appropriate eating behaviour. Will have to nip that in the bud. I have been focussing on making healthy choices generally and it seems to be happening. Doing all the reading around the green monsters helped with that I think. I am staying within my calorie range and cycling it up and down between 1700 and 1900. I seem to be losing weight everyday and today it was down another .6 to 213 # - another number I haven't seen for a while. Made sure I got to aqua-fit today and had a massage to try and sort out this low back which is still really bothersome

AmberPr - Glad things are on track and not crabby - a relief I imagine. Had a plan and followed it - always good. I had to LOL at "it is glaringly apparent what I did wrong today" - credit for regrouping, identifying the areas of the program that could have been strengthened, and finding credits in your day

Beverlyjoy - yay for bypassing McDonald's even when it was calling your name and you have been feeling stressed. Hope things are sorting out

BillBlueEyes - When I read your posts, in many ways it makes me happy that I have a relatively inactive social life LOL. Not near so many temptations that you seem to take in your stride so well

CeeJay - "2 out of 3 ain't bad". Hope things stay sane

Donna (new2me2) - Hooray for breaking 150 - and for reaching your lowest weight in 2 years. Yay for another charm - such a good idea

Gardenerjoy - Hope it wasn't too hot for any activity today. The work-life balance thing is taking a bit of a dive as I didn't manage to get to gym all week. I am really not sure how to fit it in with work. When I get my weights I can do it at home but until then ...

Houston2Command - YAY for being out of the 170s - terrific work. Hope the work-out had the desired effect and none of the scary ones!

Kelly (MutableParadox) - Welcome and good reading - you have found the right place to be here

Mikkijoe - Good luck with the conversation with your DH - and YAY for fitting into those jeans

Overlord - Glad you are trying to master the basic skills - a really good foundation for what follows

Randi (rbp) - You remind me to focus on feelings of satisfaction or hunger which I haven't thought about for a while so thank you

SilverBirch - Armenian lentil soup sounds fantastic. A great list of credits. Eating sitting down is surprisingly important I have found - astonished that I didn't
Credits -
- I motivated myself by reading A&R cards - N
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise
behaviours - yes
- Limit junk food to once per day - Yes - $1
- Made food plan - Yes - $1
- Logged food soon after eating - yes - $1
- Food on-plan - Yes
- Posted to the list - Here I am
- Ate seated every time - YES - Y Y N Y - $1
- Ate mindfully and slowly - Y ? ? Y
- Put down fork occasionally - N Y N
- Weighed myself - Yes - DOWN (again) - 213 - $1
- Drank water - No - need to fill up my water bottle
- Exercise - Yes - YAY $1

TALLY (only red ones earn money!) - DAY = $6; Week = $34

Working on -
Still on work-life balance

Have a good day Beckies
-----
Cheryl

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 07-16-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:00 AM   #187  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - After I gave a pint of blood, they offered bottled orange juice, coke, or water; "Water," CREDIT moi. Then they offered chips or cookies; "Neither," CREDIT moi. The great un-evolved part of my mind kept thinking, A pint's a pound the world around.

CeeJay - Yep, 2 out of 3 on a business trip isn't bad. Kudos for recognizing that and giving yourself credit.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for skipping a food-centric event just because you don't need the extra food. I'm becoming jealous of your nephew. Does he clean out junk from basements?

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Sounds like a stellar day with a new low scale reading, aqua-fit, and a massage. You just got to figure out whose finger is getting into your peanut butter and have a chat with them, LOL.

silverbirch - Seriously drooling over "Armenian lentil soup", for the lentils which are my favorite food ever, for the dried apricots that should go into everything, and for the chicken stock made from a chicken instead of a can. Thanks for the translation.

Donna (new2me2) - Congrats on breaking the 150 barrier. Neat that you'll have one charm to remember both Alaska and that goal.

Houston2Command - Congrats on the new decade. Running around the house to celebrate is such a better choice then eating.

Amber (AmberPr) - Yay for "100% better then yesterday." Kudos for getting exercise twice a day.

Mikkijoe - Yep, you gotta talk to that DH about saving you from under-eating. Seems that SO's are like the body - working to counter starvation when you're trying to lose weight. LOL at "I love Martha's books!"

Randi (rbp) - Stopping when satisfied rather full is one of the hard strategies. Not to mention cleaning the plate for the children in China, LOL.

Kelly (MutableParadox) - Yep, it's not just you. Wonderful feeling to find yourself in a VERY LARGE club.

Alma (Alma4343) - Kudos for "5 full days!" - you're barreling out of the starting gate there. I didn't write all the stuff into my calendar even though it sounds like a good idea.

Readers -
Quote:
day 32
Prepare for Travel

How Not to Gain Too Much

These are some solutions dieters I've counseled use to help prevent gaining too much weight while they're away from home:

. . .
Use the strategies you've already learned. Take this book with you. Reread how to differentiate hunger from cravings and how to tolerate them; how to use anti-cravings techniques; how to prepare for unplanned eating and overeating; how to get back on your diet after a slipup; how to handle disappointment and the unfairness issue; how to deal with food pushers; and, especially, how to prepare for eating out and drinking alcohol. You've learned a tremendous amount if you've been practicing the skills in this program for the last month. Use that knowledge!

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 224.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:25 AM   #188  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi beck folks, coaches, buddies....life has been kind of 'crazy' and somewhat stressful. I haven't been happy with my GP (as you well know) I've been able to speak with some other doctor's who have addressed my questions and been very helpful. I am grateful for that.

I have been doing some stress eating. Today I've gotten up, read my arc/rc and got out my journal/workbook/spiral to keep track of the important beck things I need to do to have sanity with food. I am hoping for willingness to draw that 'line in the sand' and move forward with good eating.

I hope you all have a great day.

Hello and welcome to all the new folks. It's wonderful that you have all found Beck!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #189  
rbp

S/C/G: 126/124.5/110

Height: 4' 10"

Good morning everyone,

Another day on plan, and it included dinner at a restaurant - kudos to me! I was very happy about my planning and my choices. I ate a little beyond satisfied at dinner but not overly full, which is progress for me, and I left all the rice on my plate (it was white rice, no value there for me!). I enjoyed the baked sweet potato, but I gave half to my husband to cause I knew I liked it too much to leave any of it on my plate!

I've been weighing daily and tracking, and decided that Friday's going to be the day where I update my ticker, and it's down a pound

I have been using the pink book, just got the green book from the library and started it. It seems to make more sense to me so far, not the ideas which are much alike, but the charts and flow of the program. If I were starting over I'd use that, but for now I'll just keep practicing the skills that are hardest for me (slow, slow, slow and stopping when satisfied). So far I'm not having trouble resisting unplanned foods, but I know that could (will) change if I get under stress or whatever.

Credits: walking after dinner, staying on plan, 2 hours tennis (doubles), reading Beck, reading cards twice, eating lunch & dinner slowly and mindfully, checking in

Beverlyjoy - Stress eating is my pattern too. Journaling and reading is so important at stressful times, I hope that helps you.

BillBlueEyes - Kudos for resisting the bloodmobile goodies! Last year when I gave blood I thought "Great! Free cookies!!!" Hopefully I'll have the skills to do as well as you next time.

silverbirch - That soup sounds delicious. Is there a recipe somewhere?

Houston2Command, new2me2 - Major congrats on breaking a decade barrier!

Have a great day!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #190  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Good morning all! Thanks for all the congratulations...more might be in order, lol. The scale was down .2 pounds more today, lol!!! Yay! Today is the official WW weigh-in so I'll see what their scale says, but frankly...I'll go by MY scale if I don't like it!! I won't change my ticker though until I get that next .4 off.

Credit moi (okay, maybe only HALF a credit)...I was going to stop at Starbucks as planned, but I wasn't hungry, so didn't. NOW before ya'all get excited...I think MAINLY the reason it was so easy to obey that feeling is because I was extremely LAZY and didn't want to make a stop, lol. But I deserve at least HALF a credit for thinking about the fact that I was not hungry. And, maybe a quarter of a point for obeying the lazy feeling. So, tomorrow I take my car for normal maintenance service so I'll stop on the way to get my Starbucks!

Last night I did about an hour and a half of Walk It Out...long story, but probably got about 45 minutes of good fast walking out of it.

I've been reading my cards...putting them by the computer is working! Oooh, I just had another idea...I think I'll put them in little plastic name badger holders and hang them up so they'll be even more visible. That will be my weekend project.

Mikkijoe Ooh, DH sounds like he might have a little bit of food pusher in him...hope your talk works, lol. Wow, funny about another Beck with CT, lol. How wonderful that you will have a friend who you can talk with! CONGRATULATIONS on getting into those jeans! I still have my small ones waiting for me, lol.

Houston2Command CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! YAY AND DOUBLE YAY! Amazing feeling to break those barriers isn't it?! Even more so to break a decade long one!!!!! I am VERY excited for you!!! I decided to do the charm bracelet so I could see every accomplishment reflected in a charm! Each charm means something...a 5lb loss, a barrier broken, etc.

MutableParadox Beck does hit true doesn't she, lol. I couldn't believe how many things I thought were only ME.

silverbirch Oooh, your soup sounds wonderful! The dried apricots sound very interesting.

Alma4343 I was not very organized when I started Beck...guess I'm still not, lol. I kept a little diary, but really only recorded a few things. I didn't really have a place to write down all the things she said to put in the journal. I think in a few months when the excitement and progress is slowing down, I'll reread the pink book, or actually maybe start the green book again, lol, and get a dedicated journal of some type. It won't be fancy either...I think just a nice spiral notebook will do fine and there will be plenty of space, lol.

AmberPr I'm so happy your day was better yesterday! Yay for on-plan eating and a good scale reading!!!

CeeJay Yes, major credit for two good days!!! A not so great day does not negate the good ones.

seadwaters(Cheryl) I am so happy that the cycling is working!!! Major credit for nipping the PB in the bud, lol. YAY on the weight loss!!!

BillBlueEyes Wow, credit indeed! LOL at the un-evolved part of your mind!

Beverlyjoy I'm so glad you found some doctors who have been able to answer your questions!

rbp Major credit for on plan and even at a restaurant. Major credit for knowing your limits and working around that!!!! Congratulations on your weight loss!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #191  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Super-fast check-in. Will do personals later. Hi to everyone. Traveling over weekend home to parents, always an eating challenge for me. Successfully used resistance based on my food log last night when going out with friends and deciding to have iced tea instead of a hard cider since I'd used up all of my calories and hadn't earned (through activity) any extras. Yea!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:48 AM   #192  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

We spent the day yesterday spreading mulch in the heat. I perfected my form on the "rake lunge." Dear Nephew did the hardest part -- shoveling it out of the truck. I counted some of that time as my exercise time yesterday, because I feel it this morning!

I got on the ball and managed to feed us, including the 20 year old, out of my own kitchen. Chicken salad sandwiches for lunch with tossed salad and an afternoon snack of homemade frozen yogurt made with local blackberries. The yogurt was a lovely shade of purple!

WI: NC in kg, Exercise: +60 1030/1800 minutes for July, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

seadwaters: congrats on losing a bit everyday and feeling like you're getting on top of things!

BillBlueEyes: yay for giving my blood. In my small town, all the church ladies made vegetable soup and dumped it in one big pot -- now, that's a good way to replace nutrients after blood donation. I was so disappointed when I moved to the city and they offered me plastic-packaged cookies.
Yep, DN did some basement clean-up for us last summer! He's definitely a blessing! We're encouraging him to stay in college as long as he wants and/or become a teacher so he still has his summers available to help us out!

Beverlyjoy: hope you're finding your way to food sanity today!

rbp: yay for all those credits, including a successful restaurant outing!

new2me2: definitely being too lazy to get a treat and responding to that deserves a credit! When I think back, I'm sometimes startled by how much energy I put into my overeating.

CeeJay: 2 out of 3 is great -- especially when today is one of the days going well!

AmberPr: yay for all of those credits and a much better day!

Alma4343: I only put things in my calendar when I'm struggling. Otherwise, Beck tasks work better for me on a list or as things that I just do everyday.

Silverbirch: yay for the yummy Armenian lentil soup!

MutableParadox: I had that experience with the Beck books too -- it was like she was reading my mind.

Houston2Command: congrats for making it out of the 170s!

Mikkijoe: good luck with the husband-training! Hope the study group idea works well.

FutureFitChick: yay for a super-fast check-in! Sending you calming energies for your trip to visit a family -- always a challenge for me, but I'm getting better at it.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #193  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

Boy oh Boy, Well I got that accountability thing covered!

I am now partnered with my friend who just opened up Medical Weight Loss Center of Yakima. She has a special computerized scale that measures BMI, BMR, Fat Mass, Muscle Mass, Bone Mass, Metabolic age, Visceral Fat Rating, Total body water, and of course weight. She has a pre-packaged diet plan to help get things started if they want, but pushes well balanced, whole food diets for the most part. She coaches various excersize programs, and NOW has added the third leg to her business........YUP you guessed it! ME, and a pilot program study group based on Becks.

So in about two weeks I will be teaching what I am learning.......of course she will be right there too. But nothing like setting up accountability huh?
Old 07-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #194  

S/C/G: 166/166/125

Height: 5'7"

Hi all, another 1/2 lb gone. and good riddance. I am firmly in the 160s and never going back.

I never made it to the gym. The cough acted up again and I couldn't do it. Went to doctor today and got meds for viral bronchitis. lovely. I can only blame the airport and the 50 people I see every day who claim to also have it in varying forms. ugh. I have an inhaler for 2 weeks and robitussin w/ codeine. Woo hoo. Since I can't drink on my diet, this is the next best thing. just kidding.

So i will continue to rest the lungs and focus on the food. I am 5.5 lbs to my all time high weight from about 4 years ago. wow. I can still remember saying I would never get that high again. I'm sure you all can relate. That was when I lost 30 lbs over 3 months. I kept it off for about 4 months and then gained it all back. I am so scared of ever doing that again. I am in a very different place this time. It will be harder to get it off but easier to keep it off. I am a completely transformed person (thanks to some life training since then) and I trust in my integrity to be the person I want to be.

In my dream last night, I was wandering around some place like a food court in an airport. I had just eaten a small healthy meal and my friend was looking for some food to grub out on. We ended up at a counter where she bought something like chocolates and the man offered me a free slice of yummy looking cheese pizza. I stopped, thought about how I felt nicely full and comfortable and wasn't hungry. I thanked him and turned down the pizza. I was dream resisting! I guess in part it came from reading Day 18 or 17 from Beck last night about an hour before bed. I took the time to contemplate how I felt comfortably full and resisted food I didn't need and wasn't on my diet. I thought that was so funny when I woke up today and remembered it!
Old 07-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #195  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Friday

Dear Friends

Thanks for being here.

Plan & log food: Y. Nothing appeared out of the left-field here.

Weigh: Y. No new battery yet but a favourable number so that's OK.

Read ARCs: Y

Eat all food sitting down: YYYYY.

Slow, mindful eating: PPPPP
Y=yes N=no P=partly ?=can't decide

Formal exercise: N

Informal exercise: several hours walking around a beautiful city. Had to go & collect my sunglasses which had been mended (free of charge, it turned out).

Give credit:
* for organising sunglasses to be mended, for taking the opportunity to do some lovely walking
* for eating sensibly at lunch & so fitting an ice-cream at a gelateria into the plan
* for having only a low fat hot chocolate when I got back, tired and paralysed in the L shoulder.

Post on 3FC or text friend: Y.

Seadwaters: it's your finger in the peanut butter, I suppose. When I find myself doing that, I'm sometimes a bit low on 'good' fats. Or sometimes I'm just a bit low on sense. The skill lies in working out which one it is .... And I'm working on that.
Closed Thread