Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 06:14 AM   #31  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Amber (AmberPr)

Amber (AmberPr)

And, in honor of your first posts,

How did you find out about the Beck books?

And how did you find you way this the Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?

Old 07-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #32  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - The 4th of July (in the US)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A glorious warm day it was. It's a bit dry around here so it made sense that while having dinner on the patio seven different species of yard birds appeared at out bird bath. Having them so close made me feel part of the natural world.

Took my long walk, CREDIT moi. And ate on-plan, CREDIT moi. Bought local blueberries and local cherries at the farmers' market to do a taste comparison with the New Jersey blueberries and Michigan cherries from the supermarket. Usually, local wins big time - in this comparison, not so much. That seemed a bit strange.

FutureFitChick - Yay for a trainer who works you hard, with Kudos for continuing with that. Let me know when you master the Italian Restaurant - the traditional Italian menu around here is the Southern Italy high calorie stuff; my only hope is to take most of my platter of food home.

Exciting research area, "how we can all age healthfully" - especially since we're all surrounded by those who become frail early and others who are like my 96 year old friend who is out walking every day. Was reading about the Citric Acid Cycle yesterday as part of my quest to read a current edition biochemistry text book. Naturally, I'm overwhelmed, but am just beginning to get a feeling for the "themes" that appear within the complexity. I'm currently a fan of my Mitochondria.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for 195 minutes of exercise - great jump start on your July goals. Neat use of a wait for your car to be serviced and the dealer's loaner.

Shepherdess - Kudos for working through your grief by moving forward. Hope your big celebration goes well. Thought of you while at the Vegan Restaurant the other night - wished you were with us; think you'd have enjoyed it and you could have guided us through some of the options.

Beverlyjoy - LOL at your dip into Onderland - but at what a price! Nice to have positive medical diagnosis from any test. Neat phrase that cherries are "like a ‘health party’ with a pit."

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Yay for spending your award money on clothes with a Double Yay that they're clothes that you really like; my take is that dressing smartly at our current body shape is 24/7 giving ourselves credit for where we are. I wouldn't mess around between scale readings and awards for your behavior. Let your body figure out its weight while you work on your strategies. Ouch for that malware event; freighting stuff.

Donna (new2me2) - Yay for an artificial extra pound of scale loss; good idea to recognize it so that next week won't seem like a failure. Like the thought of a "1 hour deep tissue massage."

Amber (AmberPr) - Yep, progress reports to our Coaches/Buddies is what it's about. Which of the Beck books are your reading?

Readers -
Quote:
day 31
Decide About Drinking

How Much, How Often

If you struggle with this decision, write out a list of the advantages and disadvantages of drinking and talk about your decision with your diet coach. Come up with a plan that works for you. Margaret, for example, decided that she wouldn't drink at home, only when she was out with friends. Once she made this a firm rule, she had little difficulty giving up her nightly glass of wine. Ken, on the other hand, is a beer connoisseur. He decided that he'd drink only one beer a day, having it with dinner so he wouldn't be tempted to accompany his beer with any unplanned snacks.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 220-221.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck coaches and buddies. Yesterday was a great Beck Day for me. Wow - so grateful. I did some new Response Cards (food pushers, emotional eating), read from both of my Beck books, did a lot of writing and thinking about responding to food in a healthful way. Many credits.

DH wanted to go to our favorite Chinese restaurant for a date. I love the steamed Hong Kong sea bass. I had just reread the chapter on going out to eat. I took my portion and moved the extra rice and fish to the side. I put my napkin on my plate when I was done so I was not tempted to eat any more. Credits. Looking forward to lunch with the leftovers. Also - DH wanted his weekly trip to the Dairy Queen. I could get my No Sugar Added yummy fudge bar with only fifty calories.

Today is a cookout for Independence Day and my Mom’s birthday. I’ve planned healthy options for me. I am grateful for the willingness to plan.

Yesterday:
Plan/log/measure/count calories - yes - had to eyeball the amount of fish
Eat seated/no seconds- all the time
Fork down - some of the time
Slow mindful eating - a lot of the time
Taste the food - a lot of the time
Leave a bite - all the time
Read response cards - some twice
Read Beck books
Filled in my journal questions - some of them
Exercise, spontaneous exercise - no

Billbe - glad you ate outside with the birdies. We’ve had lots of goldfinches eating the seeds from the cosmos. Something about that bright yellow color is thrilling to me. Credit for your walk to get healthy things at the market!

gardener joy - wonderful credits with your walking and Wii, etc. That’s great…you are making great strides in your monthly goal. Hooray for a weight loss at your Biggest Loser sight. Credit for food 100% OP.

New2me2 - so glad about your nice loss!!! Enjoy your new DVD - credit for trying new workout things.

Shepardess - it’s good that you can get through your run without crying. The sadness and missing her at that time will linger, I know. Enjoy your family time and all that hiking, etc. I am sorry to hear that your internet connection is not working well. Will miss your daily post. Hope it get fixed soon.

Amberpr - WELCOME - so glad you’ve posted here at Beck. I think you’ll find Dr. Beck techniques helpful.

Futurefitchick - credit for eating healthfully at the restaurants and getting some meal to take home (willingness to not eat it all is a credit!). It doesn’t always show on the scale when you’d like to see it though. Darn.

Seadwaters - sorry to hear of your computer woe’s - I hate when that happens. Glad you’ll have extra money for those darn medical bills. Oops on the weight gain…yes, fresh start. Hop right back on your plan.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 07-04-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Good morning Beck friends! Happy Independence Day to us US folk!

Well my official Beck weigh in shows me exactly where I was last week.

The massage was very good and really worked out a lot of knots. As I expected, I didn't feel like undoing that so did no exercise. So, my exercise yesterday was shopping.

It's still early here, so eating is on plan and as soon as I finish here I will do a workout...probably the intermediate workout off the new DVD.

I've decided to stay in today...finish the girly stuff by painting my toenails. I think purple will be in order this week.

Shepherdess I am glad you are feeling a bit better and have started running again! Your day with family sounds GREAT!

AmberPr Hello! Welcome!!!

FutureFitChick Great job on deciding to eat a healthier option! Try not to get discouraged over what the scale says right now!

seadwaters (Cheryl) Yikes with the malware!!! I'm glad you were able to get it cleaned up. Credit to you for starting fresh and for updating your weight no matter what. I think all those things help make us be accountable. I wouldn't deduct from the kitty though...you worked for and earned everyone of those credits...it's not revokable!

BillBlueEyes Sounds like you had a great day!

Beverlyjoy You DID have many good credits! Nice job! And extra great job on dividing your dinner and then placing your napkin over it so you wouldn't eat more! Have fun at your cookout!
Old 07-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #35  
Green Tomatoes

We're kind of curmudgeonly about this holiday. We live in a county with a fireworks ban, surrounded by counties that sell them. So, our favorite thing to do on the 4th of July is stick close to the house and make sure none of the neighbors burn it down with an illegal bottle rocket. We will cook out tonight -- chicken, grill-roasted potatoes, and salads. Oh, the refrigerator pickles are ready and we discovered last night that they make a wonderful cucumber-tomato salad. So, we'll have more of that. Hope all the USians have a happy 4th!

WI: +0.2kg, Exercise: +80 315/1800 minutes for July, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Shepherdess: glad that you and yours are finding your way back to healing. Your 4th of July plans sound like a blast!

AmberPr: welcome!

FutureFitChick: glad you're enjoying the holiday/birthday weekend and staying reasonably well in control -- including posting here! Good job!

seadwaters: do NOT deduct from your credit kitty because there's a gain on your scale -- those credits are for the behaviors not the numbers! That's my opinion, and apparently I feel strongly about it since I don't usually tell people with capital letters what to do and NOT do! Good for you for starting fresh with the reality of today and not letting a minor setback get in the way of that.

BillBlueEyes: I always find it odd when local doesn't win, too. It's rare but it does happen. I asked a farmer once and he said it generally had to do with rain. Too dry or too wet at the odd times and it will effect the sweetness and wateriness of the fruit.

Beverlyjoy: yay for many credits involving reading, thinking, and strategizing your way to food sanity!

new2me2: Let us know how you like your DVD! Enjoy your day in and the purple toenails!

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 07-04-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #36  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

Just a quick check in. My two patients provide for lots of spontaneous exercise.

I am reading everyone's posts, and don't have the oomph for personals right now. I ate off plan for dinner on Friday night, but other than that I have been consciously trying to stay focused on my food requirements while taking care of others. When I went out to run errands this morning I parked as far out as possible and got a little extra walking in. When I got back it was time for my breakfast smoothie and vitamins and I asked my Mom to please wait for 5 minutes and I would return after taking a minute for myself.

Take care everyone! to the new Becksters! Thanks, all, for being here!

Happy July 4th!
Old 07-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Jumping right in

Happy 4th of July!

Yesterday was a hot day - 90 degrees. I worked in the yard clearing branches from our woods while my dof chased whatever was scooting around under the leaves.

Today I woke up to 70+ with 100% humidity. It started to rain a few hours later, but not before I got a quick walk in. I then finished a movie I fell asleep watching last night (I love Tivo) and nibbled on my husbands raisenettes that he brought home last night. Decided that wasn't a good breakfast and had some cheese and crackers.... weekend eating is hard for me. I feel like I graze all day. I'm in need of a project or an activity and just can't seem to settle on anything. (perfectionism?)

I'm glad to have found the Beck book. I'm not entirly sure how I found out about the program. I know I've been doing some poking around on ediets and trying to find something new. I've started two programs this year, and I haven't made any progress. I'm hopeful for this one as it is helping set myself up instread of flying by the seat of my pants.

So far I've:
  • Got my Diet Buddies!
  • came up with some advantages
  • written out some response cards
  • weighed myself
  • exercised

Earlier this year I tried the herbalife diet shakes. They kinda rubbed me the wrong way. It just didn't feel right to me to be drinking these two ice-cream-like drinks a day. Since I hate the after taste of fake sugar, I used real sugar, and that just didn't jive with my love of sugar--- I'm adicted to sugar. I lost 5 pounds and gained it all back.

Then I did my favorite pre-diet diet and lost about 10 pounds. I've put 8 back on.

About two years ago I successfully took of 35-40 pounds and I'm pretty much keeping it off (even gaining 5-10 pounds of winter weight and taking it back off has been doable).I have developed some better habits with each and every plan I try, but I just can't seem to motivate myself to lose even the next 10-15 pounds. My first goal is to get below 200.

So, here I go again. My next evolution in healthy eating habits!

Questions:
  • How are you organizing your Beck's stuff? Is it all in a box? Laying out? On your computer?
  • How do you get those cute little pound markers?
  • How do you create your signature lines? I love how so many of you keep track with them, or do you put them in for each post?

---------------------------------
FutureFitChick: Thank you for the welcome! I've been thinking about a fitness coach myself. That's a huge thing to have made that kind of investment in yourself. And I love the idea of freezing the leftovers - Do you divide them out and freeze them into seperate meals? BTW: I love how your posts have your "Things I'm most looking forward to"- awsome.

Cheryl/seadwaters: Thank you for the welcome! I hate viruses - good luck getting it all cleaned up. I love how you keep track of your successes/Credits on your postings, and I really love how you pay yourself for those achievements, even the small ones.

BillBlueEyes: Thank you for the warm welcome! It's pretty cool to see my name so big and the flashing welcome! I'm not sure how I found Beck's - A post someplace convinced me to buy the book and a search lead me here, to 3 Fat Chicks. I could use a little dry weather today -- it actually looks like it's starting to clear up. Might be able to get that BBQ yet today! I love cherries too. They are my favorite go to fruit of the season.

Beverlyjoy: Thank you for the welcome, I'm glad to be here. Way to go yesterday! I love the idea of putting the napkin on my plate when I'm done. I'm such a nibbler myself.

new2me2: Hello to you too! I've had exactly one massage - I'm going to have to add that to my list. My Daughter has a few fancy colors of nail polish. I've tried the green, orange and yellow on my fingernails. I just can't pull it off, but purple on the toes-- that I really like!

Gardenerjoy: Thank you for the welcome! Hope your home stays safe tonight Chicken for us too. I really like that you post mini goals-- alot less overwhelming.

Debbie/Lexxiss: Way to take care of yourself. I think that can be one of the hardestest things to do. I still stuggle with feeling guilty and defensive when I decide to do something for myself- like I shouldn't. You are so close to goal! Does it get harder or easier?

Last edited by AmberPr; 07-04-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 257/247/170

Height: 5'10"

Default Checking in

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Things are going pretty well. I have not started exercising. I've had severe hypertension for a while, and I have no health insurance, so I haven't seen a doctor in a long time. Trying to walk or bike outdoors in Austin right now seems insane (it's very hot and humid). At the end of the month, I'll be moving into an apt. complex that has a nice fitness area, where I will do the elliptical machine.

Bill, the avatar has no deeper meaning.

Yesterday I did the hunger experiments. Ate a hearty breakfast, felt desire a few times, easily dismissed, never really felt physical hunger, ate a nice salad with ahi tuna steak for dinner. Then I went to a party where there was quite a lot of delicious food around . . . and I had none of it! I actually didn't even feel very desirous of it. Someone asked me if I'd lost weight recently, which is great, but simply impossible. Maybe it was just my confidence that they were seeing. I did drink three beers.

This morning, I was stranded at my friend's apartment, where there was no food. I went to McDonald's and ate a bacon egg and cheese bagel, and a hash brown. I hated every second.

I discovered this plan maybe a year and a half ago, just by browsing Amazon. I was attracted to it mostly because of the cognitive behavioral therapy. I have had quite a bit of therapy, which had a CBT slant to it, and has been very helpful. I started this program once before, but my life was thrown into chaos when I was laid off and had to move hither and yon. Now I think my life is stable enough to give it the attention it requires.

Keep up the good work everyone! You deserve all the advantages of being healthier!
Old 07-05-2010, 04:32 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Monday Night

Hi Coaches

Hope you all had a happy 4th of July - and that the weather was good. I had a good day - got to the aqua fit class for the first time in a week and it did my back a lot of good. I fell heavily onto one knee just before I went away and my back has been horrible ever since so hopefully the pool and the chiropractor (manipulative therapist?) today will do their magic. Got my tax finished and submitted with the accountant so I am happy. I will get a healthy return which covers a good portion of the health debt (and my clothing splurge!).

Today I had a plan and followed it and last night was also good. I didn't end up exercising last night because I was messing with my tax - not a healthy distraction. I still need to get weights so will investigate that tomorrow.

AmberPr - A good list of credits for today. It can be difficult to plan for the weekend and I always find that without a plan to start with I always end up all over the place. I am sure BillBE will explain about the signatures - but you need to wait for 20 days and 20 posts before you can access the signature area. I organise my Beck stuff on my iPhone in a program/application called iconic notes. Then I have them with me

BeverlyJoy - Sounds like a good Beck day yesterday - and I will need to take on board your excellent eating out strategies.

BillBlueEyes - I used to watch bird behaviour for hours where I worked and people thought I was nuts (they were common pigeons) - but I can understand the obsession. They are a nice way of engaging with nature and help with existential issues. I am totally into what can help with healthy aging - I want to understand how to increase function and decrease disability - at 59 I feel "frail" and that has to change

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for lot of spontaneous exercise lol. Hope things with your mum and family go well

Donna (new2me2) - Glad you got a good massage - I am thinking of one this week. Yay for no weight increase

Gardenerjoy - Hope the house stayed safe! All fireworks are banned in my state (not sure about the country) so lots of local fireworks to attend. Credit for all

Overlord - that is great that you will have an exercise area in your new appt - seems like the outdoor bike might be a bit risky at first. Big credit for trying the hunger experiment - and double credit for that you could resist all the food around you - well done. I am glad your life is stable enough to give this program a go now - good luck

Credits -
- I motivated myself by
- Read A&R cards - no
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise behaviours - yes - $1
- Limit junk food to once per day - NO
- Made food plan - Yes $1
- Logged food soon after eating - yes - $1
- Food on-plan - Yes
- Posted to the list - Here I am - $1
- Ate seated every time - yes $1
- Ate mindfully and slowly - 80%
- Put down fork occasionally - yes
- Weighed myself - Yes - 217.4 $1
- Drank water - YES - have been getting water regularly today
- Exercise - YES - $1

TALLY - DAY = $7; Week = $13

Working on -
Starting strength training and making it a habit

Have a good day Beckies
-----
Cheryl

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 07-05-2010 at 04:42 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:38 AM   #40  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Participated in a Normal-Rockwell kind of extended Fourth of July BBQ starting at noon: family, extended family, friends, people I've met before whose names I didn't remember, little kids in the pool, the young men roasting a suckling pig over the fire, waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much food - the whole wonderful disaster. I worked hard at my plan to eat more than usual but still under control. I did well sticking to the roasted veggies, organic salad with edible flowers, fruit and the like, CREDIT moi. Took one bite from DW's cheeseburger; it was the best I can remember ever having, but one bite was enough. I'm grateful to the book that reminded me that the first bite fires all our taste buds and that the remainder just isn't the same.

Then I got antsy waiting for the pig to finish and, when it finally was presented, ate a bunch although I didn't stuff myself. Coarsely chopped pig from the spit being eaten with hands, while standing around, doesn't lend itself to the Beck rules, LOL. Oh, Well. Compensated by declaring that it was both lunch and dinner and having only a cucumber from the garden later in the evening, CREDIT moi. Yay for a garden fresh cucumber with a little yogurt dressing.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Gotta try that combining refrigerator pickles into a cucumber-tomato salad - sounds yummy. Hope your house lasted through the local fireworks; the (illegal) fireworks had started by 6:00 last evening and I heard some when I woke up at 4:00 am this morning. It must seem odd to the British couple down the street.

Shepherdess - Waving. Thinking of building myself a cabin in Wyoming. Seeking your advice. There's some land on Craigslist that I'm considering. Claims to have nice views. Some dude named Freudenthal is peddling 1366 acres for only $125M. Should go quickly - that's less that a hundred grand an acre. What's your take?

Beverlyjoy - Always struck by, "I am grateful for the willingness to plan." Everything in one sentence. Nice demonstration of the way to enjoy a restaurant experience. Count me, also, as one who never tires of the brilliant yellow of the Goldfinches. When we had thistle feeders we had them in droves, but they apparently don't find much in DW's garden to their tastes. I'll mention Cosmos to her, since I know she likes them.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Ouch for that back; do hope that the "manipulative therapist" gets it under control. Congrats for getting your tax paperwork done when that's the most important task on your agenda. David Sibley, popular birding author, strongly suggests watching the common birds at length. He points out that that's a lot easier than the rare birds, that you can learn the parts of the birds to identify that way, and rather importantly, that you can immediately eliminate the common birds when you spot a rare bird because you've done your homework.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Kudos for giving yourself five minutes from your double care-giver role; you so have to guard against burn out.

Donna (new2me2) - Seems like a wise step to preserve the benefits of a good massage.

Overlord - Kudos for the success with the hunger experiment - without experiencing serious hunger. Yep, I can imagine Austin is a challenging place for outdoor exercise at peak summer, even though you have that neat Lake Austin so close by.

And Kudos again for being surrounded by delicious food and, "I had none of it!" That's working your program for sure. It's good to have someone around who is a believer in Cognitive Behavior Therapy to encourage us all along. Sometimes the obvious parts of CBT are difficult (like giving ourselves credit) just because they're so . . . obvious.

Amber (AmberPr) - Kudos for identifying that your weekend eating is an opportunity to get onto your eating plan. Yep, I do think that the Beck strategies, along with planning, can help out there.
  • I organize my Beck stuff on an Excel spreadsheet where it's easy for me to find.
  • The neat weight trackers in people's signatures are available after 20 days and 20 posts - a site rule to fight the huge wave of spammers that flood the web. You already can add the S/C/G: x/y/z/ that appears under many of our Avatars.
  • Once you get your tracker, it appears automatically with each post (if you checked that option in your profile). Yours is currently blank; mine is text; others use the trackers. They are changed separately from posting as desired. Some folks change daily, some monthly, some only if it moves by five pounds or more.
Readers -
Quote:
day 31
Decide About Drinking

How Much, How Often

Whatever you decide to do about alcohol is fine, as long as:
  • You don't skimp on food.
  • You plan when and how much you'll drink.
  • You calculate beforehand how caloric the drink is.
  • You don't allow alcohol to lead to unplanned eating.
The Beck Diet Solution, pg 221.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 07-06-2010 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Added Shepherdess
Old 07-05-2010, 06:28 AM   #41  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

"Once more into the breach".

Well, I've been putzing around with reading the darn book but this is IT. My life does not seem to be getting more peaceful so I will make the time to read. I read this thread every day but need to get my brain in gear. I've been dieting for the past 50 years (really!) and need an attitude transplant.

So - all other reading is put aside until I have read the book.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Becksters/coaches/friends… yesterday was fun....having a cookout for America, my mom and my aunt (all with July 4 birthdays). It was hot...but - we have shade after 5pm on our deck and backyard. My food went well - Credit. Always grateful for that.

Dh had some homemade trail mix with chocolate chips. It was on his dresser. I used my resistance techniques to stay out of the chips. Eventually, I put it in his sock drawer. Credits

At 8pm I started to get stomach cramps and pain. It was weird. I ended up not going to the fireworks. Finally at 3:30 am - the pain subsided. What was that about? Maybe left over from the colonoscopy? My fiber cereal after not eating some for days? I don't know. I thought - if it's not gone by morning, I'll have to go to the ER. But - after 7 hours of being doubled over...it stopped. Go figure. I feel fine now. I did eat a little extra at 2am….toast, dry cherrios with the stomach pain. It didn’t help. But - thought maybe it would. Funny - how I thought food would help a stomach ache. I drank diet ginger ale. That did seem to help.

I sat outside in the backyard with the heating pad (funny thing to see outside!) for 40 minutes of fireworks that a neighbor was doing a street away. A lot of coin went into it, indeed. I was so happy to see it. I am grateful I ended up seeing some fireworks. So beautiful.

Today we are going to my cousin's house for a cookout celebrating our Aunt's birthday. My plan is scoping out the food. Making the healthiest choices - fill my plate carefully ONE time. No seconds.

Yesterday:
Plan/log/measure/count calories - yes -
Eat seated/no seconds- most of the itme
Fork down - some of the time
Slow mindful eating - a lot of the time
Taste the food - a lot of the time
Leave a bite - all the time
Read response cards - yes
Read Beck books -no
Filled in my journal questions - yes
Exercise, spontaneous exercise - no
Weighed - yes

The scale is still barely under 200 - but, it is a 'leftover' from my Friday colonoscopy. I not counting anything the scale says until Wednesday. The nurses said - things will be back to where they should be in 3-5 days.

New2me2 - I love shopping as an exercise. I vote for that every time! Sounds like a healthy day PLANNED! Purple toe nails rock.

Gardner joy - sorry you have to deal with the stray rocket heading your way. Credit for planning a healthy day.

Lexxiss -glad you are getting your spontaneous exercise…credit! Sorry about the Friday night oops. Forgive yourself and hop right back on your plan. Carry on.

Amberpr - you are doing so well as you begin your journey with Beck. Ouch on the raisonettes. Maybe you could ask DH to keep them out of site. I do it all the time. Somewhere dr. Beck said to ask like this. “It would be so helpful if you would_________. “ It really often works at my house. Good for you keeping a lot of your previous weight loss. The Beck techniques will help, too.

How I organize my Beck … I use a pretty spiral journal that has some pockets for my resistance cards. I open up to two pages. On the left side is my daily plan and then what I actually eat with the calories. On the left side is where I put on the things I am working on… I list: water, exercise, eat seated, no seconds, full fullness, taste the food, leave a bite etc. Just writing it down is a daily reminder. I also write down the techniques of avoid unplanned eating. I write down: food is not an emergency, a place for sabotaging thoughts, credits, reflections for the day and more. Do I fill it in every day…no - but, I do it often enough to have to think about what I am doing. For me, just writing it all down everyday is helpful and a good reminder. (oops, I am repeating myself!) Everyone does their Beck stuff differently.

Overlord - so glad to hear your new apartment will have a workout place! It’s amazing how often you can think of that hunger experiment when you are faced with unplanned food. I always remember one thing mentioned in the Beck book - people have gone for days without eating. (so I should be able to get through a couple of hours)

Seadwaters - I am so glad to hear you were able to get to your aqua class! I hope the chiropractor can help your sore knee. Credit for having a plan and following it.

Billbe - love the sound of your Norman Rockwell 4th. (DH and I went to his museum last year on our way home after visiting my sister at Cape Cod…awesome) I totally agree about having one bite. I do that often with DH - especially desserts. first bite fires all our taste buds and that the remainder just isn't the same. This is so true…thanks for the reminder

Ruthxx - I’ve been dieting/trying to find food sanity a very long time too. I am 58...it’s never to late to try again. We must keep trying again…you never know when it will finally ‘take’.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 07-05-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:09 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 166/166/125

Height: 5'7"

Default Monday

SUPER CREDIT - although I knew I did not eat that poorly on vacation and was pretty active, I was still scared to get on the scale. I was so worried it would say I gained 3-4 lbs and I would feel deflated.
My scale is very old and I knew not quite accurate so I happened to be at Academy and found a scale with the body fat calculator as well. Bonus. I really wanted that too.
Got on the scale and uh-huh, barely gained 1 lb!!!! I was ecstatic. Then despite myself, I started thinking how the broken scale would have said higher, so it really was higher and just went down that trail for about 15 minutes. I literally found myself in the hole punching my face in! Then I remembered that the doctor's scale had said the pound less, not the broken scale! But more importantly, what did it matter. my new scale was telling me great things.
So my credit to myself is for seeing it and turning it around.

Good news, that extra pound is now gone! woo hoo.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes.

I found the site looking for diet buddies online that recognized Beck. I want to be surrounded by positive support and with people who are speaking the same language.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #44  

Good morning Beckies! I do indeed have purple toes this morning. Purple with little white stars.

My official Beck weigh-in day shows me up two-tenths of a pound. That will go away so I'm not concerned and I'm not going to change my ticker, lol.

Eating was on plan yesterday except for a couple of cubes of watermelon right before bed. I've got the watermelon aleady cut up, but I'm finding I don't overeat that so it's a good treat for me.

My exercise was the intermediate workout of the WW Punch DVD, which was a good 35 minute workout, then a while later I did 30 minutes of Walk It Out.

Up for today, probably Walk It Out at some point, but I MUST do some decluttering myself, so I'm going to make myself do it for 1 hour, lol. And, I have a little housekeeping to do, but nothing major.

Spontaneous exercise, was holding my plank for 1 minute this morning. I may do that a couple more times at some point today.

gardenerjoy Fireworks are not sold here either I think, but EVERYONE seems to have them, and they always seem to be VERY close.

Lexxiss LOL on the spontaneous exercise...I know that when I was down with my foot my poor mother got LOTS of spontaneous exercise! It's not easy! Good for you on the other spontaneous exercise as well, and for taking that time for yourself!

AmberPr Sounds like you got some great exercise clearing the yard! As far as healthy eating habits...I'm finding Beck has helped with that too...not directly so much, but indirectly it has me thinking about a lot of things in a lot of ways I didn't before.

As far as organization...I am so organized at work, but at home it's a mess, so my Beck stuff is basically strewn about, but fortunately mostly on my coffee table.

The pound ticker I have is from tickerfactory.

And, re the nail polish...I can't keep polish on my fingernails, but it seems to last on my toes, so I do that regularly during the summer. I have lots of fun colors and some decals that I also use to "decorate". Me thinks I shall be one of those crazy old ladies who wears bright colors.

Overlord Very wise to wait on the exercise, especially in that heat! The end of the month is not that far away! Major credits for your hunger experiment and for having none of that delicious food!!

seadwaters(Cheryl) Hope the pool and chiropractor help!!! Yay on the healthy tax return!!!

BillBlueEyes The BBQ sounds quite fun! Major credit you for healthy eating and thinking (mostly, lol)!

Ruthxxx Good for you for making your health a priority!!! Welcome back!

Beverlyjoy Major credit for "hiding" DH's snack and NOT eating it whilst you did it! Hum, the stomach cramps and pain could still be from the colonoscopy...they use a lot of air which can cause that. I'm still waiting for the results of that last lab test I sent in last week to see if I have to have another one! I'm glad it went away. Good luck at todays outging!
Old 07-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #45  

Houston2Command I see you posted whilst I was typing my longwinded post and didn't want to leave you out, lol. Great job on turning around that thinking (and recognizing that you needed to)!!!
Closed Thread