Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 166/166/125

Height: 5'7"

On Day 6 of the Beck Solution. Just back from vacation and feel proud of all the things I did right! Excited to keep going!
I am new also and will be making this my diet buddy system.

Last edited by Houston2Command; 07-02-2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: repeated myself
Old 07-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post
I am new here. Stage 1. Thanks in advance for support.
Welcome!! You're welcome in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston2Command View Post
On Day 6 of the Beck Solution. Just back from vacation and feel proud of all the things I did right! Excited to keep going!
I am new also and will be making this my diet buddy system.
Welcome! Good job on doing well on your vacation!
Old 07-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #18  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

I just wanted to update that I am still working on the program but I had to put it on the back burner for a few days as things got really hectic (excuses, I know ) I am back on track and I will be finishing week two in a couple days. It's great to see there are other Beck newbies here as well For myself, I think the real work will be begin once I get to week three where I am actually supposed to be "on plan" .I mentioned before that most things seem kind of redundant right now since I already have a plan in place that works, but I am still following through with each day and reading my response card #1 from the workbook when in doubt..."do it anyway, even if you don't want to" I do have to get more strict about the not eating while standing rule. I find it especially hard when I let myself get too hungry and I want to pick at my dinner before getting to sit down. I am making progress with the mindful eating though. I am remembering to slow down and pay attention to my food. Mose meals are taking 20 minutes or more to eat now which is progress I hope to post again when I start week three.

Have a great week!
Old 07-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #19  

Height: 5'7"

I continue to pursue this in a half-hearted fashion. I'm giving myself credit that it is better than quitting. 8 days of vacation starting tomorrow. Back again after.

Anne
Old 07-03-2010, 05:19 AM   #20  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - Starting the 3 day weekend in the US

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Dinner last night was out to a Vegan restaurant that I'd discovered on a recent walk; the menu posted in the window enticed me back. DW and I walked there - CREDIT moi. We did our usual order of different entrees and split. It was unusually good food for modest prices, in portions that fit my food plan. CREDIT moi for discovering Seitan with peach BBQ and Moqueca tofu and for thinking them delicious. DW was pleased that we had stuff that was more work than she would have wanted to do at home, which seems like a good use of a restaurant.

Also did my usual gym, CREDIT moi. Worked a little harder than usual to counter feeling like I'm not really pushing myself enough at the gym since I'm no longer using a personal trainer.

maryblu - It was a Cherry F-E-S-T-I-V-A-L, not an O-R-G-I-E, LOL. But, you're right, it was to-die-for and I have no regrets. The only sample I could have skipped was the cherry pie since I knew what that tasted like. Right on with your "Yay summer."

Anne (AnneWonders) - Yep, "half-hearted" is better than dropping out for sure. With a lot of stuff on your plate it would seem to me that it's a challenge when all of it can't be at full AnneWonders intensity. Have a nice vacation - hopefully a little relaxing after your intense business travel.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Scheduling eating around awkwardly timed appointments is a challenge. Sounds like you did a noble job doing that.

Donna (new2me2) - Kudos for "planned extras" - it's so easy when we do real planning. Watermelon sounds like a good choice at a company BBQ where I would suspect you faced some really bad choices as well.

sweetnlow28 - Ouch for "really hectic" with Kudos for staying on-plan even if not doing all of your Beck Program stuff. Neat that you've spotted that the urge to nibble dinner comes with getting too hungry - once you've named the challenge, then it's possible to look for strategies to combat it.

Overlord - Kudos for entering Stage 1 in the green book - so many good strategies to learn in the first stage. Austin is one on the nicest cities in the US, IMHO. Is there a story behind the dog in your Avatar?

Houston2Command - Kudos for doing a vacation right - that's one of the hard ones. And Kudos for promptly finding this forum for your Diet Coach/Buddy when you hit day 6: Find a Diet Coach.

Readers -
Quote:
day 31
Decide About Drinking

How Much, How Often

Think about your choices: You can decide not to drink at all, or you can set some kind of limit. For example, you might decide to have one drink a day, a week, a month, or somewhere in-between. Or you might have a drink just on special occasions. If you choose to drink, you'll need to figure out how to fit it in without taking in too many calories. Ask yourself, Do I really want to spend my calories this way? Would I rather eat ______ or ______ instead?

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 220.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 07-03-2010 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-03-2010, 05:19 AM   #21  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Overlord

Overlord

And, on the occasion of signing up,

How did you find out about Dr. Beck's books?

And how did you find the Beck forum on 3 Fat Chicks?

Old 07-03-2010, 05:20 AM   #22  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Houston2Command

Houston2Command

And, on the occasion of signing up,

How did you find out about Dr. Beck's books?

And how did you find the Beck forum on 3 Fat Chicks?

Old 07-03-2010, 05:22 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Unhappy Saturday - posting in pieces as getting virus message

Hi Coaches
Well I spent all my credit money and then some when I was on vacation - I bought rather a lot of clothes that I really like and which fit so I am really pleased. I am back in my food comfort zone as Beverlyjoy puts it. I shopped today and have the right food in the house so heading in the right direction.

I have been reading "Strong women stay young" and it is interesting that all the ill effects of aging early seem to have hit me because of "enforced" idleness the last year. I have found it really motivating as it is about improved function and has a fairly straight forward home strength training program. It is certainly true for me that you can't get a lot of benefit from an aerobic activity (or much else) if you have no strength. I am looking forward to getting involved - need to buy ankle weights and dumbbells!

I hadn't really seen or understood these ideas before:
From BeverlyJoy - "a standard emergency meal that you turn to - Swap out the planned meal for a pre-selected backup plan...I have a pre-selected plan for each of our favorite restaurants and I swap that in. It keeps me still in control, but with some flexibility." and BillBE - "I have a list of backup meals on my plan and a list of behaviors for banquets, restaurants, and pot-lucks where I don't know what food will be available. It's universally unavoidable to have to change plans when you live on a planet with other people." I hadn't quite seen it expressed this way so I want to work on these plans soon

I have back through postings for the last few days. Apologies to any I miss

Anne (AnneWonders) - See that your last trip was a bit challenging and that you are off again - hope things go well for you. Travelling is difficult - especially somewhere totally new where you don't know what to expect

BeverlyJoy - I can see that the foot surgery is a bit scary. But you are putting in all the planning and there will be few surprises. Lets hope thatt you are on the quick side of normal! I am sending consoling thoughts your way. Can't you weigh standing on one leg or is this a really silly question?

BillBlueEyes - the day-to-day moving with the program are certainly noteworthy. A good point - same as giving credit and motivating oneself

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Sorry to hear about Rudi and happy to hear that he is back home. Hope things are going well with your mother

Donna (new2me2) - Great progress on the planks - will have to have a go.

Futurefitchick - I certainly hadn't made as much money as I spent on clothes! My goal for the days away was to get away from my everyday life and have a break. I achieved that - but not always in the best way. I know what you mean about dieting takes up so much time - it really does and if you take your eye off the ball you can find yourself anywhere. You are right - it is about creating habits and I need to remember that. Sorry to hear about your grief for your father

Gardenerjoy - Isn't a new car fabulous. Hope you are enjoying it. Congratulations on reaching onederland! Credit you

Maryblu - I like your rules - I have added a green monster to replace my usual breakfast smoothy. In Australia we have Vital Greens which I am using along with the spinach and I am hoping it will work its magic

Onebyone - I am glad to see you back here and on track. Your decluttering is a bit of an inspiration. Hope you find a way out of the corner you felt trapped in.

Shepherdess - I am so sorry about your loss of Maggie - it is so hard to lose a beloved dog. I have tears in my eyes reading it. I can totally empathise with what happened and how you feel about it. I am glad you have Jen to run with to deal with both your grief

Credits -
- I motivated myself by
- Read A&R cards - yes - $1
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise behaviours - yes - $1
- Limit junk food to once per day - NO
- Made food plan - sort of
- Food on-plan - no
- Posted to the list - Here I am - $1
- Ate seated every time - yes
- Ate mindfully and slowly - 80%
- Put down fork occasionally - 70%
- Weighed myself - Yes - 217.4 - $1
- Drank water - some
- Exercise - no

Working on -
Getting back on track

Have a good day Beckies
-----
Cheryl

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 07-03-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck friends, coaches, buddies… Well, I got through my colonoscopy prep OK this time. The results were normal - no polyps or anything else. I am grateful for that. As a result of the ‘prep’ I am at 199 on the scale. But, it is not ‘real’ - but, sure was fun to see. It’s a good incentive to get there for real.

I stayed on my food plan yesterday once I got home. - credit. That felt good too. I slept most of the afternoon. The July 4th weekend fun started last night with DS doing a fireworks display for the nieghborhood. It was the fountain type - they were great! We live at the end of a cul de sac. It works so well. What is more fun than the squeals of small children watching fireworks.?

We are having a family cookout on Sunday. July 4th is my mom's birthday, too. We are doing burgers and brats and hotdogs. I'll have my garden burger. I am going to make a healthy green bean salad for a healthy side. My neighbor is bring over a fruit plate. We are getting red white and blue cupcakes for the birthday 'cake'. I can stay away from cupcakes. And, the kids love cupcakes.

My mom's apartment is right in front of the city park where they do the fireworks - we usually join the folks in their grass area to see the show.

Thanks to everyone for your support as I face this foot/ankle surgery. I have not scheduled the day yet. I have a long list of questions for the surgeon. Also, I am checking out the two choices where I can have it done. It may sound strange - but, I am checking out the different prices because we don’t have very good health insurance.

Seadwaters - so fun to use your ‘credit’ money on your vacation!!! Thanks for your wonderful reminder of doing strength exercises too. I can try and weigh on one foot after the surgery…I’ll have on casts or boots, etc for months. I can’t hop onto the scale…but, I figure out the best thing as I face it. (maybe get on it on one foot from the wheelchair….???) Many good credits and more money again in ‘the fund.’

Billbe - thanks for the reminder of splitting on entrιe (it’s not just for seniors any more!) I agree with DW - nice to eat something out that’s too much work to eat at home. Glad you could put the cherry taste testing fest in as your snack. We lived in Michigan for 23 years a while back. It's a cherry wonderland. Yes…the cherries have been so good this year. They are like a ‘health party’ with a pit.

Anne wonders - so glad you posted!! Take your response cards and read them on your vacation. It could help. Have fun!!!

Sweetandlow - so glad you posted. Sorry about the stresses. Credit for using so many of the beck techniques all ready. I found that when I really stopped eating standing up- it made a huge difference in the amount of food I consumed in a day. Every time you go to put food in your mouth while standing and DON”T you reinforce that behavior. Say to yourself something positive like: well done! or credit or…yes!… etc. Let yourself know that you are doing so positive for yourself and changing that old behavior!

Houston2commond - WELCOME!!! I am so glad you posted. Credit for doing well on your trip!!! Post as often as you can - so we can all get to know you.

New2me2 - so glad to hear of you having an on plan day and exercise too! It’s a great combo. I loved your idea of practicing my hunger experiment on prep day!!

Overlord - WELCOME !!! This thread is a great place to get support. So glad that your posted. Look forward to get to know you.

gardener joy - credit for planning ahead when you know you will be busy at your normal lunch time! Credit for again reading your cards.

Lexxiss/Debbie - so glad that Rudi is home! Hope your mom is feeling better. I am doing a happy dance for your willingness to eat healthfully when faced with lots of stress. Well done.

Futurefitchick - I totally agree how helpful having a plan is. It just helps the day go smoother in many ways. It’s decided. We don’t have to think about it. Less of those what can I eat food thoughts spinning in your head all day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 07-03-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #25  
Green Tomatoes

I took a loaner during my car service appointment, but only drove it a couple of miles to a place that I'm not very familiar with but knew had walking trails. So, I walked over an hour and a half. And then, I still wanted to do some of my new Wii game and some of my old Wii Fit. That gave me lots of exercise minutes! Which led to a nice big loss on the my official weigh-in day for the summer Biggest Loser challenge on 3Fc.

WI: -0.75kg (new low), Exercise: +195 235/1800 minutes for July, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

new2me2: yay for being on plan with both food and exercise!

Welcome Overlord and Houston2Command!

sweetnlow28: yeah that eating while standing one is a struggle -- but so worth it! I realized several months in that I was consuming a hundred or more calories while prepping one of our favorite meals and, of course, being barely aware that I was doing it all!

AnneWonders: hope you have a wonderful vacation!

BillBlueEyes: the vegan menu sounds delicious!

seadwaters: glad you found clothes you liked! The last time I lost weight, I refused to buy new clothes because I was too cheap. I think that contributed, subconsciously, to gaining the weight back -- I needed to fit into the clothes I owned! This time, I've been buying some lovely things as I lose, so now I'm motivated to keep the weight off so I can still wear the new things.

Beverlyjoy: so glad the colonoscopy went well and gave the desired results. I have bad health insurance, too, and it really has turned me into a more informed health care consumer. I'd prefer the reduced worry of better health insurance, but, so far, not enough to work full time which is what it would take.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Well apparently I drank MORE water the week before because WW has me down 2 pounds this week. By my weigh-in, it was slightly more than a pound, but hey, I'll take it, lol. Tomorrow is my Beck official weigh-in.

I bought an exercise DVD wet from the Weight Watcher leader and tried the beginner workout last night. It was fun and I like the instructor, who I've worked out "with" before as I have several of her other DVDs. I think I'm more intermediate, so will try that next time.

I'm planning on some of my Walk It Out today, but not much else as I have a nice 1 hour deep tissue massage in a couple of hours and don't want to undo that, lol.

sweetnlow28 You get lots of credit for doing it anyway! You're reading your cards, etc. That's a good thing!

AnneWonders Indeed, half-hearted is definitely better than nothing! Hope you have a great vacation!

BillBlueEyes LOVE that you walk to eat out! Big credit for working a little harder!

seadwaters(Cheryl) Good for you for spending that credit money on vacation!

Beverlyjoy Yay on getting through the prep and YAY that everything looks good. How wonderful that you can see the fireworks from your mom's apartment!

gardenerjoy Wow, fantastic job on all that exercise! Congratulations on your loss for the Biggest Loser challenge!!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Thank you all for your kind words and support during the loss of my Maggie dog. We're still missing her, but we're getting back to functional in day-to-day life. For me that was a pretty low bar, LOL. Jen and I are back to marathon training. Running is still sad, but we can get through it without crying.

DH's sister and her family are in town so we have been having lots of fun family time. We spent the day hiking around on the mountain, had a picnic and enjoyed a nice July day. Everyone comes out to our place to celebrate the 4th. We're barbecuing and will light some fireworks. It should be a good time.

I'm having trouble logging on at my house. Getting onto 3fc has always been slow, but this last week, my computer will spend all day trying to load it. Not quite sure why. I'm not techy or patient enough to figure it out. But I can log on just fine from the computer from DH's office in town. So I'm going to try posting at least once a week, more if I can, and see how that goes. I definitly need to think about Beck again. I haven't been over-eating, but that mosnter will rear it's head before too long.

Happy Independence Day to all the the Yankies and for the rest, I hope you have a lovely, early-July day.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Default New too!

Hello Everyone!

Thank you to those of you who pointed me toward this board. I've been reading all of the July posts and I'm so impressed with all of the progress reports (in all aspects of life) and I'm happy be able to join in!

Talk to you soon,
Amber
Old 07-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Coaches/Buddies, we’ve had a lot of fun low-key celebrating for my husbands birthday. Lots of meals out and movies. It has been fun. I got to talk with some friends I hadn’t seen much of for a while, which was really nice. For our dinner at the Irish restaurant, I had originally decided to have a reuben, my favorite sandwhich, and to skip the pub chips. But, when I got there, I decided instead to have a shrimp cocktail and salad instead. So I was proud of that choice for the better, but really disappointed after weighing this morning.

My trainer kicked my bu** yesterday! I am sore all over today! We went out to lunch at Maggiano’s yesterday. I find that place hard to eat at healthfully. I ended up with the eggplant parmeasan, and stopped when I was comfortably full. At lunch, they offer to send an entire second entre home with you. So, I’ve got three extra meals at least from our lunch out. I felt like I did when I was in grammar school and had made bad choices to steal something. I’ll probably be freezing the leftovers to use as special dinners during the next couple weeks.

Today I grabbed three small cookies and ate one while walking up stairs. Ouch!

Today’s Essentials:
Weigh-in: +0.5 lbs.
Read Advantage Cards two times: no just once
Read Response Cards at least two times: yes
Ate slowly, sitting down, noticing every bite: no
Gave myself credit when I engaged in helpful eating behaviors: yes
Did spontaneous exercise: yes
Did planned exercise: none planned
Wrote out food plan for tomorrow: working on it next
Tracked today’s food: working on it next

AmberPr, welclome!

BeverlyJoy, glad your test went well.You are sooo close to Onderland.

BillBlueEyes, your cherries sound fun, if nothing else. We all need fun. My mystery quest is how we can all age healthfully, or at least a very small corner of that treasure.

GardenerJoy, fantastic preparing ahead with your brunch idea. I’ll have to use that one sometime. Congratulations on the terrific energy levels.

Houston2Command, hello. Nice to meet you!

Lexxiss, phenomenal attitude about the chaos surrounding you.

Maryblu, I love your attitude about the celebration events. How cool and calm!

new2me2, hi back at you. Glad your weigh in went well.

Overlord, welcome to the group.

Seadwaters, sorry your vacation was rough. Let me know how to master that when you figure it out! I really liked what you said:
Quote:
I know what you mean about dieting takes up so much time - it really does and if you take your eye off the ball you can find yourself anywhere. You are right - it is about creating habits and I need to remember that.
Shepherdess, bummer about the posting difficulties. Hope you have a good holiday.

[B]Sweetnlow28[B], hi! I’ve just started week 3 (I am working my way very slowly through the pink book.) I really like what I’ve learned the last few days. Glad you are slowing down some.

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 07-03-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Hi Coaches

Happy Independence Day to all you US folk - I hope you have a great day tomorrow.

I was having a bad time last night with malware - many pop-up windows, download of shortcuts to what seemed to be porn sites , loss of task manager etc. It was a thing called defense center (sic) which looks like the real thing. Had to do malware clean out this morning. It meant I didn't get to finish or edit my post too thoroughly nor say hi to all the new members - will do so today.

Today I have to do my tax as seeing accountant tomorrow - I want my refund NOW to pay health bills

Boo Hoo - first Sunday in July weigh-in 217.8 (up about 2# for the month)- I have changed signatures and profile to reflect this as I want a fresh start. I wonder if that means I should deduct money from kitty (which is currently in negative balance after holiday spending)?

AmberPr - Welcome Amber - glad you found your way over to these great coaches and buddies

Anne (AnneWonders) - Always good to see you here - half-hearted or not. Much better than dropping out of the group

BeverlyJoy - Glad the scope preparation went better than last time and you actually got it finished with - and enjoy onederland while it is there: motivational I am sure! Your food plans for the weekend sound sensible as usual. Do check out the prices - I had REALLY good health insurance and was way out of pocket - still paying off the debts from last year. My tax refund should clear it hopefully

BillBlueEyes - Your food stories lately are enough to make a girl hungry. The cherry "festival" was definitely not something to pass up by the sound of it. Credit for walking to find delicious and healthy food

Donna (new2me2) - great progress with exercise and weight loss - WW seems to be agreeing with you

Futurefitchick - The eating while standing up is hard to defeat and particularly sneaky! Yay for keeping and freezing leftovers - much better than eating them. Good list of credits - hope you get your food plan done

Gardenerjoy - Credit for all that exercise - you are so diligent! And it is showing in your weight so YAY

Houston2Command - Welcome - and well done on vacation. I find this difficult so credit

Overlord - Welcome and good luck with the programme - I find it very helpful

Shepherdess - Computer problems are really disturbing because you KNOW they are going to take way too much time to sort out so I commiserate. I am glad you and Jen are running it out and that you are still thinking about the marathon. Have a great Sunday

ETA - you have changed your Avatar - it doesn't look quite as desolate and a great shot

sweetnlow28 - Thanks for the progress report. The eating while standing up thing is a challenge indeed

Credits -
- I motivated myself by
- Read A&R cards - yes - $1
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise behaviours - yes - $1
- Limit junk food to once per day - NO
- Made food plan - vaguely $1
- Logged food soon after eating - yes - $1
- Food on-plan - haven't really eaten yet
- Posted to the list - Here I am - $1
- Ate seated every time - not yet
- Ate mindfully and slowly - 80%
- Put down fork occasionally - not yet
- Weighed myself - Yes - 217.8
- Drank water - YES - have been getting water regularly today
- Exercise - have planned to do the strength set later

TALLY = $6 (will start a tally on Sundays and do a weekly total. This will pay off the clothes I have ALREADY bought LOL)

Working on -
Starting strength training and making it a habit - $1

Have a good day Beckies
-----
Cheryl

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 07-04-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Closed Thread