Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #196  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

I think of Beck principles often as life continues to get busier...my patients are getting better, but the addition of 1 family member in our home has just knocked the organized chaos up a notch. The rest of the family will show up Sunday. Food has been pretty darn good and I am grateful for that. Miss you all. It's been hot here but mornings are cool. I chose fruit over chips this afternoon *credit* and really tried to think why it is that the chips soothe something that the fruit doesn't??? I enjoyed the fruit, anyways!
Old 07-17-2010, 05:26 AM   #197  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Smile Saturday evening

Hi Coaches

Forced myself to the gym - and very glad I did. I feel good after some weights. My at-home weights haven't arrived yet. Made an appointment with the trainer for Monday afternoon to make sure I left work on time and I got to the gym

No more sneaky peanut butter today. Need to make sure I have my snacks as I have been having main meals only.

Have to run as still in the middle of cooking

Credits -
- I motivated myself by reading A&R cards - N - $0
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise
behaviours - yes
- Limit junk food to once per day - Yes - $1
- Made food plan - Yes - $1
- Logged food soon after eating - yes - $1
- Food on-plan - Yes
- Posted to the list - Here I am
- Ate seated every time - YES - Y Y N N - $0
- Ate mindfully and slowly - Y ? ? Y
- Put down fork occasionally - N Y N
- Weighed myself - Yes - Up - 214.8 - $1
- Drank water - Yes
- Exercise - Yes - YAY - $1

TALLY (only red ones earn money!) - DAY = $5; Week = $39

Working on -
Still on work-life balance

Have a good day Beckies
-----
Cheryl
Old 07-17-2010, 06:17 AM   #198  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - WHOOOOO HOOOOOO - I went to Costco when they were serving FREE samples - counted about 10 stations - and had NONE, as in zero, 0.0, de nada. That's only my third trip to Costco; the first two were sampling disasters. CREDIT moi some ten times.

Interesting, I had looked at a jar of roasted portobello mushrooms and red peppers, thinking I might buy them but wondered what they tasted like, when . . . at the end of the isle FREE samples of them were being handed out. Now a taste of portobello mushrooms and red peppers wouldn't have affected my food plan for the day. However, I had decided to work my Resistance Muscle since I'd so overdone the sampling on my first two visits. So, I just said "No" and continued shopping. Said "No" to another 8 stations that included Beef and beans and a portion of an Angus Beef hamburger. Finally, I had to stand next to FREE M&M's in the check out line being given by an outgoing, friendly, and gorgeous young thing with a winning smile. But I was on a roll, "No."

Did I mention that they were FREE?

Joy (gardenerjoy) - LOL at "rake lunge" - who says you need a gym membership. Love the story of your Church Ladies merging all their vegetable soups for an after blood donation snack - I would have had that and felt noble for doing so. I'll drop by to do some yard work if you feed me "homemade frozen yogurt made with local blackberries."

FutureFitChick - Great use of your Resistance Muscle choosing "iced tea instead of a hard cider."

Beverlyjoy - Glad you found a different GP who worked with you. Good luck in finding a permanent replacement.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - And the money keeps dribbling in. Making an appointment with your trainer is such an obvious demonstration of how much easier it is to do something when we plan. Just need to figure out a way to make an appointment with our food plan of the day.

silverbirch - Pretty neat to get your sunglasses fixed, get in a exploring walk, and then "eating sensibly at lunch & so fitting an ice-cream at a gelateria into the plan." The good life.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Glad that your patients are healing enough to have the rest of the family over. Let us know what you decide about the soothing nature of chips vs. fruit. Some foods do seem to service some old stuff in us.

Donna (new2me2) - LOL, OK then, 3/4 of a Kudos for ignoring Starbucks. Hope the WW scales pleased you yesterday.

Houston2Command - Ouch for a cough; Double Ouch for viral bronchitis - hope you're back to full vigor soon. Doing "Dream Resisting" is a sure sign of internalizing your strategies. That's pretty neat.

Mikkijoe - Yay for signing up to lead a Beck discussion group. Can't think of a better way to learn the strategies. Kudos for just moving forward with that idea.

Randi (rbp) - Good day there: Congrats on the pound down. Kudos for the restaurant performance and those two hours on the tennis court.

Readers -
Quote:
day 32
Prepare for Travel

During the Trip Home

You're on the way home. You tried to follow your predetermined diet plan while you were away. How did you do? You should be giving yourself credit for everything you did right. But maybe you slipped some. Are you dreading getting on the scale?

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 225.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #199  
rbp

S/C/G: 126/124.5/110

Height: 4' 10"

Good morning Beckies,

First setback since I started -- I ate unplanned and not-so-healthy food after dinner last night. No good reason that I can think of, no stress, nothing special, just that silly beast that takes over sometimes and says "Eat!!!!". My resistance muscle wasn't strong enough. Oh well, I'll continue practicing and read the "Don't get discouraged" chapter again today. I have to remember I'm only a couple of weeks into this and it's a lifetime thing. I find I'm better at resisting for short bursts, like walking past an ice cream place or free Costco samples, or when I have to order at a restaurant. I have the most trouble when I'm home for hours and hours and I know there's something I shouldn't eat and I want it anyway and it feels like my resistance eventually gets worn down.

I think I'm going to start crocheting an afghan -- that keeps my hands busy and I can't eat while I'm crocheting

Credits: I did a workout dvd (first time with this one since my hip has been improving and it feels OK today - yay!!!) I stayed on plan thru dinner, checked in, read cards once (clearly need to get back to twice), ate dinner slowly and mindfully.

Mikkijoe - That's great about the Beck group, being a leader certainly bumps up your accountability!

gardenerjoy - I've got mulch in my future... do you loan out your nephew?

new2me2 - Congrats on the weight loss, and definitely go by whichever scale gives you the best weight

BillBlueEyes - Good work on your Costco trip!

Have a great weekend!
Old 07-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #200  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Default BBQ and Sunshine

Morning everyone!

Hubby and I are on a social trip! We came to the big city of Duluth, MN for an annual get-together with friends. Last night we went bowling, today the guys are going golfing and the gals are going sailing (rummage sailing that is!) This afternoon we'll head over to the party. Tomorrow, if we're not too pooped-out, I have tickets to the airshow. This should be fun.

On the eating side...yesterday started out without a plan. I knew it was going to be a hectic day and I just didn't want to try to puzzle it all out. We ended up having a late dinner of pizza and beer at the bowling alley.

Today I'm going to plan to eat light before the BBQ. Protein for breakfast. Apple for a snack and a salad for lunch. For this afternoon: Yogurt/protein snack before we get to the party. Battle plan: marinated chicken breast, cut up veggies, fruit of some-sort, unsweetened ice tea. I know I'm going to have a few alcoholic beverages (although I had enough last night to make it not so appealing), but I'm going to purchase a four pk. of those one drink servings of wine and some carbonated water to mix with it -- so at least I'm recognizing it and planning for it .
---------------------------------
Actually, this process of writing down what I'm going to do today started out much more vague and I've ended up really fleshing it out into a plan as I write and edit this posting… it's working! I'll let you know how I do today.
--------------------------------
Credits
Walked
Spontaneous exercise: bowling
Ate seated
Chose beef jerky instead of a candy bar at the gas station
Planning for a BBQ
Checking in
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SeadWaters: Great job trucking along! The weight is flying off!

Mikkijoe: Wow, that's incredible! What a neat setup.

I'm heading out - catch you all later!
Amber
Old 07-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #201  
Green Tomatoes

Two weeks in a row, I did long low-intensity workouts on Friday and got a nice drop for the official weigh in of the Summer Beach Party Biggest Loser challenge on Saturday morning. It didn't work this week -- I ended up bloated and achy and had an up tic on the scale. Food was kind of odd, yesterday, and that probably effected it, too. Oh well.

Off to shop at the Farmer's Market!

WI: +0.15kg, Exercise: +120 1150/1800 minutes for July, Food: 75%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 07-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #202  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Perfect Day

I would count yesterday as one of those "perfect days". I took a spur of the moment vacation day due to weather. Perfect summer lake weather. Of course I gardened for most of it, but oh, well. Got in a nice cooling swim and float in the mesh part of my Fun Island..so stayed cool.

So, what could make a perfect day like that even better? DOH..*dancing, of course. Around 6 or so I was tired from so much sun and fun, but sucked it up, made the sacrifice to drive the hour one-way to take in my favorite band, and it rewarded me with 4 sets of kick-*** blues! Outside to boot!

Speaking of blues, dear Ceejay, the blues festival late in July is bringing me Duke Robillard..one of my favorite, favorite, favorites. He *never comes this far west..or at least this far inland. Never thought I would get to see him. *sigh. The only bad news about that is it is the same time as Tall Ships in Duluth, so we will be making that loonnnggg drive for only one day. So much to do, so little time. I think we Minnesodans get a bit manic in summer, doncha think, Amber? Can't imagine what it must be like in Alaska, but I have heard stories!

That said, still feeling really pist at myself for this weight gain. I *know how to fix it; I *know how to get rid of this 10#, so why don't I just *do it? I think I am not alone in this. We *know what to do; we know that Beck strategies work; we just don't consistently do it. Do my Beckies agree? The truth is: Beck Diet Solutions work. ..a no-brainer, just do it. I think I just need to act as if..as if I am a Beck follower..just pretend for a while until it becomes so. I just wish Pinot Noir didn't taste so dam*** good with Caprese! And Roasted Beets with Walnuts and Goat Cheese, and Salmon on the grill. *sigh. Repeat to myself: Just do it, just do everything Beck tells ya to do..just do it.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #203  

S/C/G: 214/183/160

Height: 5'8"

Hello Coaches and Buddies,

I have had a good week so far. I am counting calories and trying for an average of 1400/day. I am right there. I have done great on the exercise this week. Spin class tow times, weights once, and 3 three mile walks.

I am to the part of the book where I am supposed to focus on 5 pound goals. I didn't realize how hard that was going to be. Don't get me wrong, I love even losing a couple pounds, but I do keep picturing the big picture. I am going to really have to work on this one.

If the sun appears in Seattle, I am going to take my boat out for a ride on Lake Washington today.

Have a great day everyone.

Alma
Old 07-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #204  

S/C/G: 214/183/160

Default BillBlueyes Question

Hello All,

Rode my bike to the farmers market and loaded up on cucumbers. I think all of BillBlueyes comments made me have a cucumber craving. Any ideas for a simple marinade for them? Also, bought a lemon cucumber. I had never seen these before.

I realize I forgot to answer one of your questions Bill. I found the 3 fat chicks forum a while back when I was researching food delivery services. When I decided to read Beck, I search 3 fat chicks for Beckies and found all of you.

Thanks for your help
Old 07-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #205  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Well, Donna loves me some WW scale AND home scale readings, lol. WW had me down 1.8 pounds this week. My own scale wasn't much different, so I am a happy lady. My scale showed me down even a bit more today...just two-tenths away from a full 14 pounds lost!

Eating is "on-plan" even when there isn't a plan, lol. I've stopped writing out my food plans since I mostly eat the same thing every day, but the two things I try to do always are only eating when hungry and then only enough to be comfortable.

So Starbucks was in the "plan" today, but alas, I was running behind and my car service appointment was at 7:30 and I also needed gas, so elected NOT to stop again, lol. At some point in my life I will get that Starbucks, lol. Actually, maybe I'll just walk down and get one tomorrow, lol. Planned treats are not an emergency!

Exercise last night was an hour of Walk It Out.

FutureFitChick Great job in strengthening your resistence muscle!!

gardenerjoy OMGOSH!!! LOL on the rake lunge!!! Oooh, the blackberry frozen yogurt sounds wonderful.

Mikkijoe Wow, lol!!! You betcha you have that accountability thing covered, lol.

Houston2Command YAY for another half pound gone!!! Boo on the bronchitis! Very funny about the dream, but major credit for it even though it was a dream! That's your subconscious speaking, lol.

Lexxiss I am so impressed with the way you tried to think through why you wanted chips. I haven't quite got to that point yet, but am hoping I do soon, lol.

seadwaters (Cheryl) Lots of credit to you for working out when you weren't inclined, lol. Making an appointment to workout is a very good strategy as well!

BillBlueEyes Okay I continue to be impressed with you, lol. Passing up one or two free samples would have been major credit in my book, but passing up 10 is amazing!

rbp Good for you for moving on after your setback and for not letting the negative self-talk talk you into feeling bad about that. LOL on the afghan...yeah, I think the computer is my afghan. Yay for no hip pain after your exercise!

AmberPr Sounds like you are having a great time...hope you get to go to the airshow! I love your plan for the BBQ.

maryblu Your day does indeed sound perfect!

Alma4343 I do the same thing with the big picture. It's kind of freeing though if you can put that aside and just focus on that first little goal. This is one of the reasons why I decided to do a charm bracelet and add charms for every 5 pounds lost and for any other achievement or milestone I thought needed recognition. So far I've got three charms on...two were for 5 pound losses and the third for breaking the 150 milestone. I'm only 1.2 pounds away from being able to put on that fourth charm for another 5 pounds lost...1.2 pounds sounds like a pretty doable goal right now, lol.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #206  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Alma, sometimes I just sprinkle a little olive oil, lemon and salt on my cucumbers. I may have to walk to the farmer's market tomorrow when I get my Starbucks and get me some cucumbers, lol.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #207  

S/C/G: 237/237/140

Height: 5' 3"

Just wanted to check in and see if my weight tracker signature is working. I've been following, and then not following, Beck for two plus years, but I know all that matters is what I do today. How do I get my weight tracker signature to appear?
Old 07-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #208  
Green Tomatoes

AnnZ: the weight tracker will appear when you've been here 20 days and made 20 posts. It's one way 3FC keep spammers at bay. Welcome!

Alma4343: Here's my favorite marinated cucumber salad recipe:
http://fortheloveofcooking-recipes.b...ber-salad.html
Old 07-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #209  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Coaches/Buddies, at my mom and step-dad’s house for the weekend. For the first time I felt comfortable enough to tell them about my weight loss strategies, in spite of the fact I’m not feeling successful at them at all right now. This is a first time ever. Until now, only my husband has known about what I’ve been trying (and you).

Today’s Essentials:
Weigh-in: travelling so don’t have a scale
Read Advantage Cards two times: no
Read Response Cards at least two times: no
Ate slowly, sitting down, noticing every bite: ate lunch in car yesterday
Gave myself credit when I engaged in helpful eating behaviors: somewhat
Did spontaneous exercise: yes
Did planned exercise: none planned
Wrote out food plan for tomorrow: not yet
Tracked today’s food: yes
Left food on my plate: not yesterday at all!

Alma4343, welcome! I put my workouts in my digital calendar. I make the time for the meal planning sometimes, but am still working on this. I should go back to put these in my calendar to make it more realistic and ease the feeling of “where did my day go?” Also, you are right to just think about these five pounds. I lose track of that often.

AmberPr, I love your graphic food warning and actually really appreciate it. There are some days I can’t tolerate to hear about something because it will send me off track. Really terrific job on analyzing what went wrong on 7/14 and not beating yourself up because of it. Keep up the great work (and selfishly it is a really good role model behavior for me)!

AnnZ, yep, this is a constant struggle.

BeverlyJoy, glad to hear you are finding a doctor that you are more comfortable with.

BillBlueEyes, sorry to hear about the uncontrolled feelings of eating at the 7/15 potluck. Great job in passing by the mean desserts. Yeah, peaches here are mediocre, even at the farmer’s market. I miss South Carolina peaches at summer camp. Your blood pint & food made me laugh! Great job at “Just Say NO!”

CeeJay, glad to see you back!

GardenerJoy, thanks for the positive message about the 2 pounds down. I feel like I’m doomed to keep losing those same two over and over again! No! That is stinkin’ thinkin’! Still loving seeing your 199! I have a giant pile of mulch in my driveway. I have been trying to put out a couple of wheelbarrow loads everyday, but I’ve been really busy since I bought it! Bummer about today’s up tic on scale.

Houston2Command, congratulations on your loss! Love the dream resisting!

Lexxiss, sending calming thoughts your when while family descends upon you!

Maryblu, glad to hear your weren’t bothered by the storms. Can you blow them a couple of states south please? Thanks for sharing that even pros like you continue to have times of struggle.

Mikkijoe, great news about the Beck study group. That is great. How did the conversation with DH go? Neat that you are jumping in full force with the Beck study group. What brand of scale is that your friend has?

MutableParadox, I have to agree about the feeling of “coming home” when reading Beck.

new2me2, congratulations on breaking the 150 barrier! That is so exciting. I really like your charming charm bracelet idea too.

Nuxmaga, great job on recognizing your improved eating habits without the vending machines around.

Overlord, hope things are continuing to go well. I think I’d make myself crazy trying to be perfect for 7 consecutive days. I think it comes down to not having confidence that I’d ever be able to do it and fearing potential failure. So, I’m only making small incremental progress, but the scale movement is in no way inspiring to me right now.

Rbp, great job on all of your credits from 7/15. Other than the meal/diet plan, what other differences do you see between the pink and green books?

Seadwaters, I loved your working on “work-life balance”. I feel like in order to get the weight loss program moving, I have to take away from my work. Then my work suffers and I have to focus on it, meaning my weight loss work suffers. Augh! Really glad you are seeing scale progress! Great job on getting to the gym.

Silverbirch, what is i/c? Also, can you describe the typical meal pattern in Wales? I know you have tea, but what does that entail and what do the rest of your typical meals look like?
Old 07-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #210  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Saturday

Dear Friends

Weigh: Y

Read ARCs: Y

Eat all food sitting down: YYYYY

Slow, mindful eating: PPPPY
P=partly

Formal exercise: Y
15 mins treadmill, 20 mins yoga.

Informal exercise: Y
30 mins along the shore. Lots of minor damage around after a Force 11 gale. A friend's boat capsized and had to be raised by divers.
Maryblu: I hope your friend is making good progress. A capsized boat is sad but nothing compared with her injuries.

Give credit:
* for seeing the way out of a family crisis and not going in for emotional eating. A box of chocolates was involved as a peace offering and I had one. Not a problem.
* for continuing to eat all food sitting down. I am convinced this is the cornerstone of my weightloss campaign.

Post on 3FC or text friend: Y

Alma: just a little vinegar is good with cucumber.

Bill: credit where credit is due. You have made headway against free samples. Continue to push back is my recommendation and they will buckle. They have to.

Onebyone:

FFC: i/c is 'in charge'. Meals here. Thank you for asking!
Breakfast: I have shredded wheat or porage with berries, cottage cheese, nuts, wheatgerm, skimmed milk. My SO wd like a cooked breakfast (bacon, fried egg, sausage, fried bread & poss other bits & pieces) but usually has toast and peanut butter or jam & eats a cooked breakfast at work. Our son has porage & honey or toast & PNB or bread & cheese with a glass of milk.
Morning snack: for me, at present, apple & hummus
Lunch, about 12.30 pm (until v recently I called this dinner): for me, pile of raw veg, tin of fish, seeded biscuit (= N Am cracker), or leftovers.
Afternoon snack: apple, hard boiled egg
Tea, about 6.30 pm (my SO calls this dinner which sounds pretentious to me but I am old-fashioned; my friends call it supper - nowadays it's most people's cooked meal). We cook from scratch in our household. I always have (55 in August). And - possible shock alert - have never had a microwave. SO's family were one of the first to get one ... Anyway, tonight we had spaghetti carbonara with green salad. SO made it, it's DB's favourite and I ate a little bit.
When we are at home we lay the table and all eat together.

People vary a lot now, though, in what they eat and when. Ask away if you have any more questions. Other people's 'normal' is fascinating.
Closed Thread