Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #316  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck folks, buddies, coaches

Thanks for your kind thoughts in response to the colonoscopy stuff. Yesterday I was down four pounds - today I am back up two. I know it‘s all temporary and will go back to being 'real' in a couple of days.

Yesterday was a healthy day - I am always grateful for a healthy day!

Today is DH's bday. Family coming from out of town to celebrate. We will go to our favorite Chinese restaurant where I can get my lovely steamed ginger seabass and cabbage with brown rice. Healthy and deelish.

Yesterday afternoon and really wanted to nibble on rice cakes. I had already eaten my snack. I used my resistance techniques to get through it. I went through that whole list in my head and , thankfully, the urge to eat went away. Credit.

Time for me to be working again on my Beck tasks and living with food tasks. I didn’t concentrate on it all yesterday - except for calories and a few others. I made up my plan as the day went on and counted the calories. Just planned each meal around how my stomach was feeling

measure, log, count calories - on all my food eaten - yes
Plan food - no
eat seated only, no seconds --yes
fork down between bites - some of the time
lots of water - most of the time
TASTE the food - some of the time
slow mindful eating - some of time
try to feel fullness - no
tv off - no
leave a small bite of food - yes
remember why - yes
Exercise - no
Beck book - no
Arc/rc - no

Billbe - good job on the half a pork chop. It feels good to eat something so delicious that is planned. Gardening is such good exercise.

Seadwaters - did you plan to not eat dinner the other night? Sorry that the grocery trip was so grueling. I am so glad you go without your wig…it’s very freeing (as I’ve been told) Do what feels good…people will think what they will. Don’t give them a thought.

Onebyone - yes, sometimes a small gain is a victory. Glad you are going to the farmer’s market. I love them. Such a fun way to get the freshest fruit and veggies. Carry on.

New2me2 - I hope you get that vacation soon. Yes, I think rewriting your response cards every now and then can be so helpful - good idea. What fun - a zumba dvd!

Nathy - love hearing about your ‘ideal state of affairs’. Staying in the garden instead of near any food that is calling you is a major credit. Dr. Beck always suggests ‘distance yourself’ as a good resistence technique. You said - I would like to be in normal relationship with food. Even though your are a normal weight - striving to be able to ‘live’ with food in a better manner is a good goal.

Merino girl - glad you are going to pilates . Hop right back on your plan and carry on.

Shepardess - credit for bringing veggies to the meeting! A small portion of blue cheese counted in is a nice treat. Credit for doing your weight and a run the other day. Also, for realizing you’ll need to now work around hot weather. Seems like just a few days ago you had snow!

Thistime7 - I am glad things went well at your appointment. I am glad you are sharing your journey with him - it’s a learning experience for me too. Credit for staying on plan and saying no to goodies at your dinner the other day! Well done.

gardener joy - YAY for you…being over weight not obese. I am doing an ‘overweight happy dance' for you. ’My son and dil get a CSA basket too. They got their first one this week. I tried turnips last year..they are good. Credit for planning ahead for the meeting, etc.

Ponee - credit for not giving up after a struggle! Credit for sticking to your grocery list. Thanks for mentioning ‘restless eating’ - that IS a good term, indeed. Hop back to your healthy tasks and carry on. You CAN do this.

Lexxiss - it is so wonderful to hear how the Beck tasks are having a positive impact on your life. Credit for the willingness to try all this. I agree - it’s all so helpful.

Company is coming and there’s much to do. Have a great day.

Shout out to any one stopping by.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 05-29-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #317  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Off to the Farmers Market, mostly to buy plants because it looks like we'll finally get my vegetable bed tilled today!

WI: +0.15kg, Exercise: +60 1330/1400 minutes for May, Food: 95%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

seadwaters: I quit wearing my wig at about that point, too. It was February and it looked like I got a summer cut in the middle of winter! But it was such a relief. I'm so glad that you are there. It will grow out quickly!
Old 05-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #318  

S/C/G: 283/171/153

Default Saturday evening

Hi Everyone,
Out at dog show today took lunch and went well. Then when I was coming home I got that bloody feeling like I could eat a horse. By the time I got unpacked and into the kitchen I was working hard to fight it. Decided I would have a roll with salmon on but that led me to want another. This is the first time in 4 ˝ weeks that I have had that glutton feeling like I could eat everything. Managed to stop at the 2 by reading cards and getting on-line to this site. I hate that feeling it’s like I need food and I will go for it. I suppose at least I recognized it and didn’t go overboard just disappointed in myself.
Credits 12 days no eating after tea
Managed to recognize eat everything feeling
Refused cake at show

Beverlyjoy Well done for using your resistance techniques today I should have got mind out before the 2nd roll. Hope your tummy is feeling better and enjoy your Chinese tonight.

BillBlueEyes Hi BillBlueEyes not really giving physiologist the lines, but what he is doing is taking my thoughts and then some how he will put this in to the hypnosis thoughts when we get to it.
It is great to watch things grow, what is Bush Bean Bill don’t have them in Australia. Will be great to have some fresh legumes. I’m really into them at the moment, have been making lots of veg’s and bean soups in the slow cooker. No fat and very low in kilograms

Seadwaters I’m like you Cheryl shopping is painful the worst bit I hate is putting it all away. Well done for going without your wig today I bet your head was a lot colder than normal. Good on you for keeping that Knife and fork on the table. I have been really practising at that to. I am finding that it takes a lot longer to eat my meal and then I feel fuller.

Onebyone A big hello to you to onebyone. Hard to refuse the pizza, I’m lucky DH is doing this with me so we haven’t had and junk in house for 4 wks. He hasn’t read book yet but he is trying hard.

new2me2 Good on you for re-writing cards I have started doing this. Sounds silly but I have little stickers on them and they are appealing to the eye now. Might do this every couple of months. The Zumba DVD is a good idea, a group of us are looking at joining beginners Zumba classes today. Don’t know how I will go as I am the biggest but will get down the back.

Nathy Good Idea to go out into the garden when food is on your mind. Credit for observing your eating behaviour.

MerinoGirl Happy long weekend to you we have one here next weekend in Western Australia. Enjoy the Pilates this will get you back on track.
Credit to everyone for just coming on line
Cheers ThisTime7

Temp Ticker
283-----271-------------153

broccoli 1 for every 5lbs

Last edited by ThisTime7; 05-29-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #319  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Good afternoon fellow Beckites! It is a beautiful day here...weather is just about perfect.

I'm down a little bit today after not having budged for a few, so now I'm at 6 pounds lost. My official weigh in is tomorrow though, lol.

It's still pretty early here, but I already have some credits: did a lot of shopping, so got in some spontaneous exercise by parking a littler farther away. More when I made my mother take me back to her mobile home instead of dropping me at my car after we shopped so I would get a few extra steps in.

Went grocery shopping, and stared at the gluten free hot dog buns for a long time and considered taking them with me on vacation, but did not get them. I also looked at the snacky things like chocolate covered banana pieces, but decided once I opened them I would NOT eat just one or two pieces, so did not get them. I opted for some apple chips which were not deep fried instead. Even if I eat the entire bag in one sitting, it's only 110 calories...I'm less likely to do that though. I did buy some Whole Foods equivalent of a fruit roll-up and some safe nutrition bars to take on my shore excursions with me since I can't eat at unknown restaurants without difficulty. Oh, and I parked farther away at the store and got in a few extra steps.

More credit: went jeans shopping because my current one and only pair is too loose. Now, that's not all Beck by-the-way, they were loose to begin with because I do not fit in a standard size and the next size down was too tight, but they got worse since Beck, lol. I found some that fit, so bought 3 pairs. They were all on a great sale so I will not feel bad when I undergrow them in a few weeks!

Forgot to look for stickers while I was at Target, but maybe I'll see some cute ones on vacation!

So, what are some rules you have for yourselves. When I read the "NO CHOICE" section, I could only think of 1 rule and that was, to only eat when I was hungry. I haven't been doing such a great job of that. I finally thought of a second rule in the last couple of days, and that was, eat a proper sized portions, always. That I've been doing very well at.

onebyone: Congratulations on facing the scale and for being happy with what you saw! Great job on applying the "oh well" attitude!

seadwaters: Good job for staying on plan!

BillBlueEyes: I admire you gardeners, lol. I have the worst black thumb, lol.

Beverlyjoy: Happy Birthday to your DH! Great job on using resistance techniques...I am still shakey in that area!

ThisTime7: You get lots of credit for realizing what you were doing and taking steps to distract yourself! That's huge! You get credit for stopping when you did too! I really, really hate that feeling too!
Old 05-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #320  

Hi Everyone,

today I did quite well and our politicians as well (we have an elections today!)

Weight in
Read ARC 2x
Read Becks book
Eat sitting (80%)
Eat slowly (90%) and mindfully 90%)
Eating on plan - 90%
Giving a credit
Contact you, my dear Buddies
Exercise - 35 min. treadmill, 10 km family bike trip to have ice cream-I didn ´t have any

BUT for dinner we had a vegetable salad with cheese and my problem is that I like(love) carbohydrates more than proteins. That´s why I had more (not much) bread than I want. It would be necessary to add more protein not to eat the food with high GI.

New2me2 - you said: I think I'll start rereading some of the chapters too. I'm starting to feel like I'm hurrying through, and I don't want to do that.

I feel the same. Now I read realy slowly and only 1 short part and I have to REALISE properly which task I will carry out for today and imediately write it down to my "food Beck diary" and in the evening I make selfevaluation...

Seadwaters - again you did so many credits! KUDOS for it!
BTW - my best friend´s ".... head is now covered in 1 cm grey stubble and it is way too annoying to wear a wig as it slips about." The same experience.

BiLLBEE - I have in my garden green beans as well and today I was admiring first green leaves.
Not to forget - credit for sguats and for beans:-D
KUDOS for beatifull Robert Browning's words. I appreciated it. Thank you.

Beverlyjoy - credit for a healthy day. I know how hard it is...
Kudos for using resistance techniques .
Thank you for appreciating my ....Staying in the garden instead of near any food that is calling you is a major credit. Dr. Beck always suggests ‘distance yourself’ as a good resistence technique.
Now, during summer is possible to be "hidden" in the garden but what about from November to March?

ThisTime7- KUDOS for having a cooperating husband. It´s more than KUDOS!

Merinogirl - today during our bike trip my DD wanted to stop and observe sheep. So we did. I noticed that 2 of them were dark brown (only face).They had a short cut that I couldn´t recognize properly color of their wool (fur?). Do you think that we can have in my country Merino sheep as well? BTW I am a light version of Merino:-D Long wavy hair:-D

Waving to all other.

Last edited by nathy; 05-30-2010 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #321  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

I thought about getting here this AM, but only had time to read posts. A healthy holiday weekend here(so far). I have been keeping busy and got 2 short bike rides in. Meals are OP, although I had a small piece of my home baked whole wheat carrot cake this AM which really would usually be dinner dessert. *credit* for sitting down.

BillBlueEyes,*credit* for seed squats and for a humorous visual. It made my think of seedsquatting, myself, however I've put it off until tomorrow-they are soaking, instead.

gardenerjoy, *credit* for hard work earning you the catagory of overweight!lol I am 12 # away. The chicks at South Beach swear that mashed turnips (like potatoes) are excellent! I haven't tried although I adore mashed cauliflower. We're having it tonight w/veggie burgers.

Beverlyjoy, *credit* for successful use of resistance techniques on rice cakes. BTW-Ginger steamed Sea Bass is one of my favs. I lived in Hong Kong years ago and enjoyed it often.

ThisTime7, so interesting about the hypnosis specific to you. *credit* for willingness to work on many changes at once. Thanks for the explanation of "tea". Now I know what it means in your neck of the woods. *credit* for winning the resistance battle with salmon rolls.

Shepherdess, your statement, "we live in a toxic food culture" is very powerful. I hadn't put it into words but it is what keeps me going-knowing that the entire industry is geared towards sucking us into spending $$ on food that is really bad for us. I rode my bike to the corner for vinegar this AM and the big sign on the door was HOT DOGS 2/$1.00. Wow! So bad and so cheap! Having mental pictures of how bad those things are helps me stay away. Beck is helping me deal with the super healthy things I want to overeat. lol *credit* for not skipping exercise because of heat and *credit* for recognizing how to make it easier.

Robin(MerinoGirl), *credit* for getting right back on track after a night of food and wine. lol I don't envy you. Hope you are feeling better today.

nathy, *credit* for your search for mutual respect and tolerance in a normal relationship with food EVEN when at a normal weight. I started at a normal weight, and it didn't last. Does that make sense? SUPER *credit* for 10 km bike ride to ice cream which you didn't even eat!

Donna,(new2me2) *credit* for Zumba and other exercise! *credit* for super thoughtful shopping. Rules: I do not eat Doritos. New rule after last weeks cookie-fest. I do not bake things at home that are not on my food plan.

onebyone, *credit* for recognition that stressing after something is a "done deal" doesn't do anything to help in the big picture, but, in fact, is very sabotoging to sane living. *credit* for maintaining your loss.

Cheryl,(seadwaters) *credit* for using your scale for information. Yes, it will go down eventually. *credit* for thinking through your expensive restaurant well ahead of time.

I am off to visit my friend, who is now starting the arduous process of going through the possessions of her deceased partner. Very painful for her and I recognize I can be there sometimes and help in the journey.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:09 AM   #322  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Hi Coaches

Had a good day - didn't plan very far in advance but each meal and snack just before it came. Not the best strategy but not bad for a weekend day where I was near the fridge - wouldn't work on a working day where I am near the canteen and multiple temptations.

Weight still going up not down but I really looked again at what I ate yesterday in case there was a fault in my reckoning but not so. I guess being on prednisolone plus the hormone therapy is making it more difficult - it is annoying. Will stay at this level for another week and if nothing happens will drop down to the next calorie level in Beck

BeverlyJoy - Hope you enjoyed your lunch and had a healthy day. Credit for planning so well and using resistance strategies against those devilish rice cakes

BillBlueEyes - The squats needed for gardening are why I can't do it at the moment - I agree that it is strenuous exercise so credit to you. Credit for pork chop tactics.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Hope your holiday weekend is still going well and credit for the exercise. Credit for supporting your bereaved friend.

Donna (New2me2) - I love to hear about Zumba - even at my age I would love to get fit enough so that I can do it! Looks fantastic. Credit for exercise and the plan to rewrite cards. Well done on new jeans that fit! And picking a sensible snack option for your vacation - that takes planning

Gardenerjoy - Hope you got good plants at the Farmer's market - I can't believe how long it takes for my hair to regrow! I would be saving a lot on haircuts if it normally grew this slowly. I am a little tempted to leave it really short like this because it hides many flaws and it is SO easy

Nathy - Good list of credits. Carbohydrates are moorish and difficult to substitute with proteins - I am doing the same and the Beck plan gives the option of fruit or carbs which is a good choice

Shepherdess - A few quick changes that seemed to work well - I notice that in the green Beck book she talks about flexibility and how to manage it in maintenance. I am not reading that yet! I think you asked about the green book? Not sure which one you haven't seen. The green book has similar concepts to the other two but is not as rigidly tied to a time frame and has the really useful food plan at the back which is adaptable but still usefully prescriptive. It is divided into phases in a more obvious way that the Diet Solutions and the Workbook. Some of the cards are different and are a useful addition - I like it but mainly for the food plan

ThisTime7 - Well done for controlling the hunger for 4 weeks - you will get back on track soon. Credit for nipping it in the bud by reading cards and getting focused. That starving feeling is difficult and you have fought it before

Credits -
- Read A&R cards - Once
- Planned my day - yes
- Made food plan - yes - just before each meal so a bit loose
- Food on-plan - yes
- Posted to the list -yes
- Ate mindfully and seated every time - always seated, not always mindful
- Put down fork occasionally - - Yes - I did it once! At lunch half way through I remembered and it did slow me down
- Weighed myself - Yes - back up - 218lb drat
- Drank water - Yes
- Exercise - no
- Resistance techniques - yes
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise behaviours - Yes

Working on -
Putting down that knife and fork! (still) - and reading and creating A&R cards

Have a good Sunday Beckies

-------
Cheryl

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 05-30-2010 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:22 AM   #323  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Took a bike ride with DW (CREDIT moi) that included watching some Red-tailed Hawk juveniles in their nest as well as just admiring the lush greenness around and about. Picked up some fiddleheads at Whole Foods for dinner. That's the first time I recall having fiddleheads - crunchy, tasty, really good. According to Wiki, Agriculture Canada says they have twice the antioxidants of blueberries, but can lead to beriberi in folks who don't get enough Vitamin B. I'll take my chances.

Beverlyjoy - LOL at down four pounds - if that's what it took to lose weight, I'd opt out. Once every ten years is frequent enough for me. Happy Birthday to your DH. Neat that you already look forward to the "steamed ginger seabass and cabbage with brown rice" - I'll add that to my Chinese Restaurant wish list.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Yay for enough hair to skip the wigs. LOL at "always seated, not always mindful" - small steps along the way.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Thanks for the new word, "seedsquatting" - that should be added to the exercise books for busy people who always need to do at least two things at once. Good luck in your gracious help with your friend sorting through the possessions of the departed; can't think of anything more difficult.

nathy - Big Kudos for taking a 10km bike ride and not having the ice cream. Now that's noble choice making. Yep, a good bread calls for second servings all right.

Donna (new2me2) - Yay for careful food shopping. And Congrats for needing to buy smaller jeans with a Triple Congrats for getting three pair on sale.

ThisTime7 - Continued Kudos for twelve days with no eating after tea. I finally looked it up to sort out why I have conflicting notions of when tea is served. If I understand it correctly, Afternoon Tea is served with bikkies at 4:00 pm when one is feeling peckish, Cream Tea is served at 5:00 pm with scones and clotted cream when one needs calories to rebuild an Abbey that has been plundered by Vikings, while High Tea is a full meal served at dinner time for those whose three meals of the day are breakfast, lunch, and tea. Am I on track?

Bush beans are the standard green beans (or yellow beans) that grow on their own bush without the need for a supporting lattice. Drooling here over your veg's and bean soups in the slow cooker.

Readers -
Quote:
day 29
Resist Food Pushers

How to Say No

Prepare now to turn down someone the next time you're offered something to eat. Here's how:

Visualize your plan in action. Who will most likely push food on you in the near future? Where will you be? Who else will be around? What foods will be involved? Try to imagine the scene. See him or her offering you the food. Hear yourself saying, "No, thank you." Think about what this person might say next and how you might respond. See the person turn away and offer the food to someone else. Visualize giving yourself lots of credit and feeling proud of yourself for being politely assertive about your needs.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 210.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #324  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck folks ... Yesterday I got through a food filled day in my calorie range....very grateful for that!

I sit here with my kitchen full of pies, goodies from my childhood bakery, candy, wonderful breads and all kinds of tasty things my family brought for their visit. Oh goodness. I haven't gotten into the stuff. Credit. Very grateful for that. I'll be distributing things out the door asap. When everyone was eating pie last night in celebration of DH's bday....I measured out 1/4 cup of vanilla ice cream and added fresh blueberries. Credit It was deelish. I planned it that way. Glad I could stay out of the pies.

It's been fun celebrating Dh's birthday with family. I added one unplanned thing to my dinner at the Chinese restaurant - one small bbq sparerib. I counted it my daily calorie total and swapped out some of my evening snack. So it worked out well. I still had over a hundred calories left (upper range). I am calling it a good day.

I stayed up til 1am gabbing with my wonderful stepmother. She's well and amazingly active. (on three boards, take a college class, out with friends to theatre, music, movies, etc- it's terrific) We also had my mom and Aunt with us last night. They are all about 85 - yet, mom and my aunt are just wearing down phycially. It's hard to see - but, part of life of course. All these special seniors still have their own aparatments - so this is very good.

Later today company is leaving and DH will plant the tomatoes and peppers tonight. I will direct.

I haven’t been doing my stretches and strengthening exercises. I will do them today!

plan, measure, log, count calories - measured what I could - yes
eat seated only, no seconds - yes
fork down between bites - a lot of the time
stretches and strengthening - no
lots of water - yes
TASTE the food - yes
slow mindful eating - a lot of the time
try to feel fullness - not so often
tv off - most of the time
leave a small bite of food - all of the time
remember why
Arc/rc - yes
Beck book - no

gardener joy - wonderful time and exercise selecting plants for the veggie garden. Tilling too…enjoy!

Thistime7 - huge credit for reading your cards when you started to eat extra food. That’s hard. Forgive yourself, move forward and carry on. Saying no to cake is a big credit.

New2me2 - good job on the extra walking, selecting healthier kinds of foods (so easy to eat the junkier versions!) Loose pants rock!!!!!

Gosh -as far as my rules - some I really work on: eat seated only, no seconds, plan/log/measure food, and more. I'll think some more on this.

Nathy - excellent - so many good credits! Credit for realizing you need to add more protein to your food plan - good thinking. Yes, we will need to think of some places where you can distance yourself from food in cold winter….hmmm. Maybe cold weather walking or sports??

Lexxiss - great that you got in two bike rides!!! Good for being OP except for a smidge of carrot cake. Sitting down, I think, is one of the most important things we can do when ‘living healthfully with food’. Well done! yep - my dish was called Hong Kong Sea Bass!

Shepardess - credit for realizing where and when planning ahead will work well. The medications that you take can effect weight loss, I believe - as a side effect. It did with the prednisone for my niece when she took it. That’s not fair! You are doing well to be so mindful of all these things.

Billbe - credit for a nice bike ride with DW - such a nice way to get in the exercise with your wife. I love the raptors…so fun to see one. I haven’t had fiddleheads in so long. You are second person in two days who talked about eating some. Hmmm. Enjoy! btw - name of the dish I ate at the Chinese restaurant is Hong Kong Sea Bass.

Have a good day, friends. Don’t forget to plan, plan and plan some more,

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 05-30-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:31 AM   #325  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

I wanted to check in, since life is happening fast here this AM. Our pool now opens at 730 and if I want exercise and socialization it's important to get there before the influx of weekend visitors. *credit* for planned exercise. I'm looking forward to another day of clean and planned eating.

Thanks, Beverlyjoy! I'm going to " plan, plan and plan some more,"
Old 05-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #326  

S/C/G: 283/171/153

Default Sunday

Hi Guys,
Managed to control my eating when I got home today and at least tomorrow it's back to work. I find the weekends really hard and this was a struggling one, my first struggle since I have started on the program. I had the eat more feeling again today but luckily I only had what I took. The cakes passed me again but boy it was tuff. Can’t wait till the day when food goes past me and I don’t worry about it.
Going on holidays in a few weeks will have to watch myself then. We are taking the caravan and heading into the outback. At least I will have internet with me and keep reporting to you all. I find touring with the van hard as food seems to play such a big part in the organization of the trip. Will keep you all informed as the days come closer to keep me in line.
After tea eating slipped tonight and I had a bread roll left over from the show. Though I didn’t eat in front of TV and ate it with left hand at table.

New2me2 Well done on your food shopping for your holiday. You did well not putting the lollies in your basket. I am just about to go on holidays too and I must put food shopping at the bottom of my list instead of number one like I normally do. You did great taking the extra steps today too. Great for buying a lower size in your jeans doesn’t it make you feel good. I don’t think I have brought anything smaller for years. Can’t wait till I go down the rack in sizes instead of going up.

Nathy Credit for the 10km bike ride and still not getting the ice-cream then on top of that you did the treadmill. Yes I’m like you bread is my downfall.

Lexxiss Well done on getting through the long weekend ours is next week hope it’s not such a struggle as this one. Credit for your bike rides.

Seadwater Stick with it the weight will come off soon. I find I go a couple of days sometimes then I get a big drop so hang in there. I don’t reckon the HRT would be helping you drop too quickly.

BillBlueEyes Yes BillBlueEyes you have tea right. I think all that come from the mother country (UK) and Aussies have changed it. I’m glad you looked it up as I never knew what High tea was. We use afternoon tea a lot especially when we are dropping in on friends or morning tea. Now you have me on fiddleheads. Now that I have read the rest of your message I gather they are some kind of berry. Credit for the bike ride. I have been slack in exercise this weekend. Would have love to have seen the juvenile hawks in the nest. Once I get PM I will send you some Australian bird photos. Going up to the middle of WA outback in a few weeks so will have to get you some photos of the birds we see.

Beverlyjoy Well done on having all those tempting treat around you and not touching them. You did really well at the Chinese I would of weekend as soon as I saw Satay chicken on the menu. I need to start leaving a bite of food each meal time.

Cheers ThisTime7

tem ticker
183--------171-------153

1 broccoli for each 5lb

Last edited by ThisTime7; 05-30-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #327  
Green Tomatoes

It was still too wet to till yesterday, but I did plant containers of herbs. Tomorrow, if we still can't till, I'm going to plant anyway and let DH's nephew help me work the organic matter in and dig holes.

Today's challenge is the family Memorial Day gathering. The nephew who just graduated from 8th Grade got to choose the menu -- fried chicken from the church and cake. My plan is a small piece of each and fill up on the salad I'm bringing, that fat-free cole slaw from the church, and the fruit my sister-in-law promised to bring.

WI: -0.35kg (new low), Exercise: +45 1375/1400 minutes for May, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

ThisTime7: Good job identifying the glutton feeling and stopping it. I just finished reading Women, Food, and God, by Geneen Roth. In some ways, it's the opposite of the Beck principles, but there are some ways that it can be used alongside Beck. Roth would have you asking yourself what that feeling was all about, where it exists in your body, how is your mind reacting to it and what story is it telling you. Is that story true? (Usually, I think the answer to the last question, is that it was true when I was 4 or 10, but not anymore).

new2me2: yay for all that spontaneous exercise! The rules that got me started were "No eating in the car" and "No eating anything purchased from a gas station or the drugstore." Now, my rules are more nuanced. "Wash it off!" (that means no licking the spoon or my finger when I'm cooking). The classic: "Only eat while sitting down." "Always measure my snack of nuts/chocolate chips."

nathy: good job on doing well on election day!

Lexxiss: yay for getting your holiday weekend off to a healthy start! Good for you for helping your friend with the tasks of after death. From some experience, I suggest getting the clothes taken care of quickly (donating them to a thrift shop or something similar) -- it seems to be a relatively easy job if you do it early on and more difficult emotionally if you wait a few weeks. Enjoy your swim!

seadwaters: how long do you have to be on prednisone? I've heard that can make it hard to lose weight. When I was on it, I was so sick from the chemo that I was at the lowest weight of my adult life, so it wasn't something I was aware of. This would probably be a good time to keep in mind how much worse it would be if you weren't paying attention to your food and exercise.

BillBlueEyes: cool info about the fiddleheads -- I've heard of them, but never run across them, except in the woods and I worry about my skills of gathering the right thing food in the wild.

Beverlyjoy: Good job with all the goodies around and good luck getting them out of your house.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #328  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I got up early and did my long run yesterday. Then DH and I went up into the summer pasture and did some fence work. So it was a very active day and a fun day. Being up in the summer pasture was great. I admit to paying more attention to the wild flowers that are just starting to bloom than the fence. Just being up there, seeing all the cows settled and the bulls acting like bulls makes it feel like summer, even though it was a cool day.

I wish I could say food was as good as exercise, but I wound up doing some afternoon grazing. I need to do better planning food on days when I do my long run. I need extra calories, but they need to be planned and rational calories that actually provide some nutrition.

MerinoGirl, hope you survived your Evil Austrian Torturer, LOL. Ouch for the night with lots of food and wine, but good job getting back on the wagon.

Nathy, yay for “an ideal state of affairs. . .” Looks like you came away from a tough week with some good insights. Great job paying attention. I understand the search for a “normal relationship with food.” When I started out, I had some weight I wanted to lose, but mostly I wanted to fix this relationship with food. I’m still working on it. . .

New2me2, glad your workmates were considerate of your need for a vacation. Taking Beck slow is a good plan. There’s no prize for getting through it quickly; it’s more important that each skill is established. Yay for your jeans being too loose!

Onebyone, kudos for getting on that scale and kudos for successfully maintaining. Ouch for all the heat. I don’t think I’d do well at those farmers markets. I’m a wimp about heat. The sheep do really well in the heat, much better than the cows. Sheep are just a hardy animal.

Seadwaters, great job taking those weight fluctuations with grace. There are just so many things that account for those daily fluctuations and with your recent treatments, you have more than most. Great job taking that weight as information and sticking to Beck.

BillBE, yay for getting bush beans in the ground. I am new to gardening and get endless amounts of joy seeing those little plants spring up. Sounds like a wonderful bike ride. I love outdoor exercise all year long, but the green grass just makes it so much more enjoyable.

Beverlyjoy, great job staying in your calorie range with a house full of temptation. Great idea to get it out the door as soon as possible. Kudos for having a measured portion of ice cream and blueberries. It’s a great, healthy treat.

Gardenerjoy, good luck getting your veggies in, but yay for container gardens. Best of luck on your Memorial Day gathering, but it sounds like you have a good plan.

Lexxiss, great job using all that exercise to help you avoid food. The carrot cake would have been tough to resist. Credit for enjoying a small piece and sitting down to do it.

ThisTime7, great job resisting that urge to overeat, but ouch for the sudden struggle. I think what you’re experiencing is normal. In the beginning, your motivation is strong and that’s great. You’re thinking of all those positive changes you want to make. But that initial motivation wanes and you begin to think about all those things you’ll give up and your brain realizes it has to give up an old coping mechanism, etc. A card that helps me when I lose motivation is, “Dieting is supposed to get hard. That’s OK. If I keep practicing my skills it will get easy again.”
Old 05-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #329  

I was down a little bit more today, so I've lost about 1 pound (actually .8, but it flickered to the pound mark, lol) this week. So since starting Beck I'm down 6.4 pounds total. I've gained and lost a few inches as well...allowing for slightly different positioning of the measuring tape, the trend is still down. Yay. I lost 1 inch off my waist...no wonder those jeans were so loose in the waist, lol.

I've haven't done much yet today, but planned activity includes printing forecasts for all the cities we'll be going to, then trying on and setting aside everything I plan to take with me. That will be my first "workout", lol. I also plan to do a strength workout today, and some walking with the Wii game. I think I should probably do some stretching too...my neck was pretty sore yesterday.

Oh, and thank you one and all for listing your rules! I've seen some that I need to adopt myself!

Okay, off to check forecasts and then my marathon of trying on clothing!

nathy: Very nice list of credits! Good job on not having the ice cream. I love both protein and carbs but tend to crave the carbs more. I really believe I have a "sugar" addiction, lol.

Lexxiss: Great job getting in those bike rides even when busy!

seadwaters: I find home more difficult to plan for than work. Work, I always eat the same things day after day, but at home I can make different things because I have more time, and sometimes that isn't good, lol. Prenisolone can definitely mess with things. I had to take Prednisone for about three years...courses of 10 days, then off for a few weeks. Everytime I started a new course, I would gain a pound a day! The water retention was awful! The same thing, but to a lesser extent happens when I have to take antibiotics. I think you will be able to do Zumba sooner than you think now!

BillBlueEyes: Great job on the bike ride...sounds nice! Hum, I think I heard of fiddleheads on Survivor Man, lol, but have not seen them before locally. LOL, on your Tea research!

Beverlyjoy: Amazing for staying away from all those goodies! Wow! Your dessert of vanilla ice cream with bluberries sounds even better than the pies and other goodies to me! What you said about your mom and aunt applies to my mom and aunt as well.

ThisTime7: You were bound to have some struggles along the way. Credit for only eating what you took even though you had that feeling of eating more. Your holiday in the outback sounds fun! You can plan now for some healthier treats that might make you feel less "left out".

gardenerjoy: Your plan for the day sounds great! I think I need to adopt the rule of measuring. I measure most things, but truly, sometimes I don't want to know how much I'm using, especially things like honey, lol. Those add up. I think I must adopt this rule!
Old 05-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #330  

to Shepherdess...I took a LONG time to write my reply and whilst I was doing so you posted!
Closed Thread