Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Everyone- didn't know how long it had been since I did personals...Whew...but I am all caught up reading and as always learned new things from my coaches and felt the support!!

Lexxiss- hello and welcome. Your weight loss is fantastic- can you tell us what plan you were on and/or what worked for you?

jazzmegirl-yay for 3 pounds gone! Glad you are just saying oh well about yesterday.

seadwaters-hurray for getting organized. Lucky dogs who get chicken stew. Hope your conference went well.

Ruthxxx- hi--- nice to see you here.

ChinaMaine-glad your trip went so well. Sounds wonderful. Hiking 3+ hours a day is fantastic.

Beverlyjoy-yay for another 2 pound weight loss. It must feel wonderful to be so close to 200. Thanks for the 5 D's- I made a card for them: Distance, Distraction, Deep Breathes, Drink Water, & Destroy!

Shepherdess-hope your snowy weather is done. I like what you said: "Resisting is just so much easier when I feel positive." Another card for me.

gardenerjoy-darn the bread machine anyways. I love using it because I like knowing what is in my bread... but resisting is hard. I liked your thoughts about putting meaning into food. I am trying to do the same. I like gardening and freezing my stuff and am trying very hard to eat very healthy.

Newlifestyle- welcome. Making the choice to look after yourself is a wonderful one. Beck really helped me with that.

bennyhannahmama- hope everything is OK with you. Your lice day sounded just terrible.

maryblu- thank you for "we all struggle".

nathy-welcome aboard!! And hope you had a good trip.

midlifecrisis57-welcome back.

eusebius-kuddos for staying on plan and exercising.

silverbirch- just saying hello.

hikergirl-yay for one binge free day!! Sounds like you are going to have a fantastic trip.

FutureFitChick-sorry to hear about the loss of your father. It is so hard. I lost my dad when he was 56 - it is awful it is to lose such a young parent.

BillBlueEyes-it is so wonderful to see the birds. DH and I went for an ATV ride the other night and saw hawks, herons, Canada Geese, red wing black birds, robins, grey and blue jays, cormorants, and even an owl. Good for you for not eating under stress.

Nuxmaga- credit for leaving food on your plate and beer in your glass. Hope your day teaching went well and without calm-down junk snacks.

onebyone- I am very glad you are back. Boy can I relate to all that you have written about falling off plan. But we are both going forward. Right on!!! Thank you for the time you took to write me (and you) that very encouraging post. It did help. Your thoughts on the disappointment of not being thinner for summer again- you took the words right out of my brain. I have felt that way every summer of my life from age 19 to now (48). And where the h#$% is that fairy godmother. Witch deserted us.

For me-- Yay, Yay, Yay. Saturday was 100% on plan. Today: so far, so good. I am back in charge.

Credit today for:

weighing in
eating slowly and mindfully
reading advantage and response cards
eating on plan and a healthy breakfast and lunch
dinner all ready to go and tomorrow is planned
am heading out for a walk in the sun right after I do my weights.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #122  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post
Lexxiss- hello and welcome. Your weight loss is fantastic- can you tell us what plan you were on and/or what worked for you?
CeeJay, I have been following South Beach Diet since May 2009. I'll share my story briefly. I started losing in 2005 by simply making better food choices and exercising. By Fall of 2008 I was down to 214. I regained 20# that winter and in May 2009 I had the big CRISIS. I knew was going to gain everything back and I needed A PLAN. I picked SBD because it's focus was on healthy foods and a low glycemic index. I am very happy to have lost almost 40# in a year, and my health issues have cleared up. I do really believe what Dr. Beck says, that any reasonable plan works if you work it. I was finally so disgusted that I promised myself to eat on plan for 6 months and by the time I got to six months there was light at the end of the tunnel. I also promised myself to post at 3FC every day, which I have done for almost a year. It's been the biggest help of all.

BillBlueEyes discussed Beck on a SBD thread and I got interested. I was recognizing my need for more "control". That is why I am here and the program seems to be helping me alot.
I understand how you feel about Summer coming because that was me last year. PM me any time if you have more questions.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Coaches/Buddies, I am glad to report my energy levels are getting better. I was beginning to fear that I was headed into another depressive episode. I am a little disappointed in my husband. He normally doesn’t say such a thing, but today when I verified with him if it would be OK if I made a chicken dish for me for dinner and he could eat his leftover vegetarian dinner, he protested. So, I felt bad and now I’ve let my healthy dinner plan be derailed. Normally he is really supportive, but sometimes I guess we can all be a little too tit-for-tat-minded. Now I’ve got to figure out what I’ll eat for dinner.

Today’s Essentials:
Weigh-in: Did not weight today
Read Advantage Cards two times: yes
Read Response Cards at least two times: yes
Ate slowly, sitting down, noticing every bite: yes
Gave myself credit when I engaged in helpful eating behaviors: yes
Did spontaneous exercise: yes
Did planned exercise: none scheduled
Wrote out food plan for tomorrow: not yet
Tracked today’s food: yes

BeverlyJoy, great control over your pork! That is great. Your neighborhood sounds lovely. Thanks so much for your comfort.

BillBlueEyes, congratulations, yet again!

CeeJay, great job getting on track!

Hikergirl, thank you so much. I hope you are well.

Jazzmegirl, hi, and a belated welcome to you. I’ve been gone for a few weeks so I missed your initial posts. Hope the planning and shopping went well. Now time to execute your plan!

Lexxiss, hello. A belated welcome to you. I hope your cleaning is contagious. My office really is a disaster and the rest of the house isn’t so great either. Congratulations on your success so far!

Onebyone, thank you for the warm thoughts. Glad to see you are still on track.

Seadwaters, hope the reception went well for you.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #124  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Yesterday's plan to eat half of my DASH diet food plan went well. Today was weird with a sunrise photography outing as part of a class I'm taking -- packed breakfast and lunch at the cafe. My tummy is a lot better, but I'm pretending it isn't just because it gets me to eat lightly. Tomorrow, I think I'll go back to my normal food plan.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +70, 475/1800 minutes for April, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

FutureFitCheck: so sorry about the loss of your father. My dad died of a sudden heart attack at age 63. It takes a long time to just get past the shock. Take good care of yourself!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #125  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post my solemn evening pledge

Hi Coaches

I did what I was supposed to do today. I faithfully filled in my new foodplan's food and activity log. I was reminded of this today
Quote:
The Heisenberg Principle of Observation
1. Every event is changed by the observation of that event.
2. The momentum of an event is changed by observation.
I ate more veggies than I have in months today. I walked more than I have in weeks. I paced my eating better than I have in months as well. These are all credits but they feel fraudulent, like I wouldn't have done them except for the sheet I was filling in so do they really count? Um, yeah. I'll put those saboutaging thoughts to rest now. thanks. O well.

Observing myself made me nervous. As if anyone else will ever see it or care? I guess I don't want to "find out" next week when there is some sort of analysis of the observations and data from this 1st week on plan that I am "that bad" or "hopeless" or something like that. I guess I hate the idea of having my actions judged even willingly and for a good cause. Wow. So many unexpected feelings around this and it's just Day 1. It must be a good start to have these negative thoughts already! Can't wait to get further into it.

Now, my only problem today came at dinner. DH brought me up a sugary can of cola from his lair. I took it as he wanted me to have it and was thinking of me and I wanted it when I saw it. It doesn't do me any good to include this stuff on my foodplan but as today was about recording things I recorded drinking it. But in my gut I know I shouldn't have and had it because it was a show of affection towards me by DH. Also I was thinking about my DB and my early monring phonecall from my DS about her deep concern for him and for his health and that's been on my mind all day.... and dovetails with my concern for my own health. I have GOT to get it together and the panic set in and I just drank the darn thing. NOTE TO SELF: a can of cola does not solve weight or health problem.

I'm done eating for the day. Just wanted to say that out loud. Thanks for being here.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #126  

Ceejay, enjoy your walk. Lexxiss, your dedication to your healthy lifestyle is admirable, you've accomplished so much. Fitchick, hi, glad your energy is returning, and so sorry to hear about your father. Onebyone great awareness about the soda, and for filling in your log.
Haven't done anything foodwise, living on my few leftovers, not good. Managed to resist eating out when it wasn't planned, yay. Eating slowly, countering sabotaging thoughts.
Amie
Old 04-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #127  
Grateful Jr Member BECK

Angry

1X1: love the red herring,beautiful! and the summa wrestling e-con. how cute is that? AND the Heisenberg Principle of Observation. I've thought that about reflection.

It is so good to read how all of us are doing! Its so nice not to be alone in dieting, and to know you are here no matter what. I need to read my cards and get a bit more disciplined. I just got overheated after eating dinner...bad sign. More later....
Old 04-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #128  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 149/128/123(next goal)

Height: 4'11"

Finally got some meds and took them tonight, pretty sure I've got a sinus infection Doing the best I can. Jim and I broke in my new grill (dad bought it while he was here visiting) and had steak and baked potatoes. I left over 1/2 of both so I have dinner for tomorrow. I stopped when satisfied-- huge thing for me. The fact that I can't taste so well probably helped with that
Hopefully the meds will kick in soon and I should be feeling better by morning (it's a z-pack and that usually works fairly quickly). More soon, my friends. Hope everyone had a good weekend.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:20 AM   #129  
in development

FutureFitChick - I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your father. Try to be easy on yourself as you go through the coming time.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:15 AM   #130  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did a buffet lunch easily; CREDIT moi. I like that since a big spread of food is an easy place for me to lose track of having an eating plan. I even saw my hand reaching toward a bowl of roasted almonds and ... and ... I remembered that I have plenty of roasted almonds at home, that I had walnuts with my oatmeal that morning so my body wasn't in desperate nutritional need of tree nuts, and that I could have some later if I still felt the need. CREDIT moi separately for that one bowl of nuts. Managed to be busy the whole day and not get much exercise - Ouch.

onebyone - Kudos for committing to your Healthy Weight Action Plan - nice 12 week journey ahead. Glad that you like the 3FC Maintenance Forum; there are some folks posting there who inspire me with their sane, everyday approach to mindful eating and exercise.

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Ouch for a sinus infection for knocking one off track - it does that to me. Kudos for "I stopped when satisfied" - that is so much the key to it all.

FutureFitChick - The little things make the day, like "Ate slowly, sitting down, noticing every bite: yes." Glad you've got some energy back. Kudos for keeping sane in the face of little derailments like dinner plans.

Susan (hikergirl) - Waving back; happy Monday.

CeeJay - Now that's a nice sentence, "I am back in charge." May you stay there. I'm jealous of your Gray Jays - we don't have them around here.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay that your Half-DASH food plan worked for you, LOL. And Kudos for 70 minutes of exercise. That sunrise photography outing sounds fun. Did you get some good pictures?

Beverlyjoy - Now that's living - when an impromptu gathering just happens in your driveway. Kudos for passing on the "chocolate cream and Oreo crust pie" - I'm drooling a bit here. Gotta love the slooooow wing flaps of the flying Great Blue Heron; neat that you're introducing those kids to the joys of observing nature. I'm a big fan of the phrase Nature Deficit Disorder applied to today's kids who spend their lives indoors. "monthly uptick-your-months-in-maintenance" just meant that I added a month to the counters in my signature showing how long I've been on my journey.

midlifecrisis57 - Yep, you're not alone in dieting. And, even better, you're not alone in dieting in a sane, sustainable manner. Keep on trucking.

silverbirch - Waving back. Have a nice day.

Amie (jazzmegirl) - Yep, planning is the key. If you plan a week of menus before shopping it's easier to keep the extraneous foods out of the house. May this week be a good one for you.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Kudos for progressing on your organization; put my place on your list next, LOL. Would love to see the birds of Alaska; when I look closely, however, I note that Alaska is one BIG state - gotta plan several trips if I want to see it all.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 24
Finding Encouragement

To motivate yourself, especially in the face of self-doubt, do the following:

Read your Advantages Response Card more often. It'll probably help to rewrite this card, thinking about each item carefully. Add any new advantages that you hadn't written previously.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 189.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 04-13-2010 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Added URL to 3FC Maintenance Forum
Old 04-12-2010, 06:34 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi beck folks, coaches, buddies - yesterday was a great day. I am always grateful for the willingness to keep going forward in this journey. I really concentrated on slowing down my eating and even stretched supper out to over 30 minutes - credit.

I took the day 'off' from doing tasks relating to my job which is kind of unusual for me. I really enjoyed it. Dh and I did chores, DH cleaned and reorganized the garage (one of his favorite things to do), we visited with the little neighbor kids as they road their bikes & scooters up and down our driveway, and we watched the end of the Masters tournament. (a touching moment at the end with Phil and his wife battling breast cancer)

Today I have paperwork to do and I must have some dental work done in the afternoon.

credits
LOTS of water
stretches and strengthening exericises
tasted food - alot of the time
mindful, slow eating - almost all the time
read beck book
read arc/rc - also, addressed sabotaging thoughts list on page 193 twice
planned food, logged food
left a bite of food
no seconds, ate seated - all the time

oops - no spontaneous exercise

It always amazes me how some days can be so healthy & good and some days are the pits. That's life I guess. So glad it's one day at a time.

billbe - kudos for making good choices at the buffent...especially staying away from the almonds. Buffets can be so challenging - you did great! Nature Deficit Disorder - boy that is an accurate phrase for some many kids today.

silverbirch - Hi...hope you have a good day.

kim - so glad you got some medicine for your sinus infection. Enjoy your new grill - so many possibilities for grilling healthy things - I love grilled veggies too. Good job on leaving food.

midlifecrisis - I totally agree - it IS so wonderful to have this community of people who are here to help us with this ever lasting journey to better health.

jazzmegirl - great job on resisting unplanned food, eating slowly, and reading your advantage cards - it all adds up!

onebyone - so glad to here that you logged your food and ate more veggies. As far as the cola - dr. beck suggested a phrase that has stuck in my head that goes something like this...'would you be willing to help me by.....' Sometimes I think to use a fashion of that phrase and it has been helpful.

gardenerjoy - I am glad your tummy is improving. Your class sounds wonderful! Many kudos for packing your food ahead of time.

futurefitchick - I know what you mean about managing your food and the food of your husband at the same time. I am glad he is mostly supportive. If he only 'protests' once in a great while - that seems managable. Take care of you the best way you can. So many credits are wonderful!

cee=jay - I am so, so glad you had a good day. I know that it can be the boost to me forward that you need. I am glad you use the five D's - I pull them out too as I head towards something to eat I don't need.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-12-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:09 AM   #132  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Saturday, Sunday

WI-up 2 lbs. Read my cards, made a plan. Food – op; Exercise – op (56m).
Saturday evening I went a bit crazy, and grazed freely after dinner. Oh well. Yesterday I was back on plan. I exercised about 60 minutes each day, a good chunk of that being yard work. I want to get all the roots up in the places we walk the most. Oh my aching arms and back!
I bought an iPad last Saturday, and celebrated my 1 week anniversary of geek-heaven by buying a budget app. This is my first Apple product other than an iPod nano, and I am now a convert. I started moving our budget info over this weekend. We also got back into our habit of cooking dinners for the week over the weekend (since DH is working, we don’t have time / energy to cook meals every night after work…)

The Good
- Throughout the day, I identified satisfaction vs fullness while eating, and I stopped eating when satisfied – credit!
- Throughout the day, I identified hunger vs non-hunger before I ate – credit!
- Eat mindfully, enjoying every bite - credit!
- Tolerated non-hunger without eating – credit!
- Used resistance techniques – yes!
- Spontaneous exercise – credit!
- I posted here – yes!

The Bad, and the Ugly
- Give credit throughout the day for every positive eating behavior – nope
- Read the pink book – nope

Debbie (Lexxiss) Did you go all the way to the top of Angel’s Landing? We stopped at Scout’s Lookout and called that a major success. I think I’m just too old for the rest of that hike. I know what you mean about the change diet and exercise can bring. Two years ago it was a struggle to get to the second floor of our house, and look at me now! Credit to both of us. How nice you are only 8 hours from Zion. My DH and I were talking about going in November sometime – have you been there at that time of year yet? What’s it like? We stayed at a great place in Springdale if you are looking for alternate lodging ideas…

Susan (hikergirl) The Masters were great weren’t they? We missed Saturday, but caught most of Sunday. What a show! I hope you have a great time in Moab. I looked it up in my Utah book and it seems ideal for biking. Do what you can, and you will probably surprise yourself. There doesn’t seem to be much hiking in that area – is that right?

gardenerjoy Credit for adjusting your food plan to meet your tummy’s needs! Hope you feel better…

Kim (bennyhannamama) Credit for posting, in spite of a frustrating week and a sinus infection. Hope the meds do the trick.

one by one You pics were great – I love the red herring. It’d make a great t-shirt to sell… But it sounds like they were very hard work to make – now that’s a workout!

Future Fit Chick My condolences for your loss. What a great list of credits at such a trying time...

CeeJay Kudos for 100% on-plan! and for resisting your sabotaging thoughts.

Cheryl (seadwaters) Credit for eating a healthy meal in Chinatown before heading to the welcome reception! Some of your weight gain may just be water weight that will come off just as quickly. I almost always gain a pound or two of water when I travel. So, don’t take the number on the scale to heart just yet.

Bill We heard our loons for the first time last night – hallelujah! But that means our buffleheads will be heading north soon I think… Nice you saw some cormorants. Kudos for a small victory over a bowl of tree nuts!

Beverlyjoy Grilled tenderloin – yum! Your cul-de-sac sounds wonderful. Re – skipped lunch: I know I *always* eat meals. When I realized on Saturday I hadn’t eaten lunch I had to go to the fridge and verify my Friday lunch was still there, untouched. Yay for a 30 minute dinner!

Amie (jazzmegirl) The thread has been unusually active the last 2 weeks or so; it’ll calm down again soon I’m sure. Credit for planning your meals!

midlifecrisis I agree it is nice not to be alone when dieting. I know I wouldn’t be successful without the help of this group.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #133  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Monday-Day 11 Differentiate Between Hunger, Desire, and Cravings
-read my chapter
-reviewed my response cards
-planned my day and reviewed my menu
-included exercise

Today's screensaver "HUNGER OR CRAVING?"

Yesterday I sat down and planned my dinners for the week. It's something I "want" to do, but it never happens...Found out why...it was very difficult for me. I finally got something down, then actually did some cooking in advance. I'm going to stick to this menu even if I "feel" like changing.

BillBlueEyes-Yes, Alaska is a very big State. I miss the birds...I'm glad to get your buffet report. I have one Friday night and your description of "an easy place for me to lose track of having an eating plan" is a great reminder for me. *credit* for staying out of the nuts.

seadwaters-Be gentle with yourself about your weight. Our journey can be hard enough without self inflicted pain.

Beverlyjoy-I'm glad you took the day off from your job tasks and made time for your family...I, too, am greatful for the willingness to go forward.

onebyone-Congrats! on a great day! Your credits aren't fradulent. That is what sheets are for-checking off! BTW- I like your hard to incorporate smileys-can't wait to see the next one.

Amie-posting here really helps me. I hope to hear from you soon.

hikergirl-I hope another bike ride is in order very soon! I will ride today.

CeeJay-I'm feeling "back in charge", too. Thumbs up!

FutureFitChick-Thanks for the welcome! I read your "looking forward to list" this AM. I enjoy your sense of humor with these very important things!

gardenerjoy-I hope you have a good day back on your normal food plan.

midlifecrisis-It is very nice not to be alone in dieting. Glad you are here, too.

Kim(BHM)-I hope you are feeling better today!

silverbirch- Hello!

Off to my day...Have a great one!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #134  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Finishing up my personals

hikergirl - hi...good job on three days of no binging and all that exercise.

lexxiss - I agree - it feels so good to organize and declutter! Kudo's for planning to plan. Major credit for baking and NOT tasting. I am doing a not tasting what I bake happy dance for you. SO great that you are planning meals ahead for the week...you are helping to set yourself up to have successes. I like how you use your screensave for positive reminders.

chinamarie - kudo's for hopping right back on your plan after an evening of grazing. Sometimes life happens...then we carry on. All that exercise and yardwork is awesome. GREAT
YES...it's wonderful to be getting closer to onederland. Almost surreal - put I am hopeful - a day at a time.

Shout out to anyone that stops by.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-12-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #135  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Talking day 2 / week 1 of 12

Good Morning Coaches

Wow. it's bright and sunny here today. Geez Louise. Caesar just pulled the living room curtain and it's ... no he just pulled the whole thing down. CAESAR CAT! Man. Now he's wrapped in it. I'm not going over there cause he's got big claws. I'll wait until he comes out from under. It's not really a curtain but a navy blue twin sheet so it's durable but boy. That cat.

ANYWAY... I just had breakfast credit: 1/2 c 2% milk, 1 cup Kashi Go Lean Cereal, 1 c miracle blueberries. The darn things should have gone bad a week ago. I looked them over and picked out maybe 3 berries as dubious but ate the rest. This morning I liked the cereal more than before. This particular cereal has a strong cinnamon component which I am torn about. I don't really like cinnamon at all but I find it kills cravings for me. So I try to have it inspite of my mild dislike of it.

Last night I asked DH if he felt like doing a bit of grocery shopping this morning or handing me $ to do it on my own. We just need a little here and there. I think I'll try and plan some meals for the coming week advanced creditafter this post.

I am trying not to go in to the art school today. I'd like a day off to clean up my kitchen. It's not fit for cooking in and I have to change that. I actually feel like doing it today. Amazing.

I wanted to keep this short. Sorry I didn't succeed! Have a good Monday.
Closed Thread